Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: 2017 Season

• Start Topic

(edited)
4 hours ago, izabella said:

I'm ok if it's repetitive,

Me, too. In early childhood education circles, that's called 'sticky.' Which means repetition, or repetition differently worded, that makes material easier to learn and retain*. Plus, although it seems preposterous to me (heh), there may be people who don't watch Rachel everyday; repetition on Thursday of Monday's material might catch a different viewer and reel them in or at least teach 'em something.

*This is why your darling toddler is subjected to the same Blue's Clues episode all day/week long. It's not lazy programming, it's purposeful. If Blue's Clues is still a thing, that is. I confess I don't keep up.

Psst: Tig Notaro as Sally Yates?

Edited by attica
  • Love 8
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read an article a couple of years ago that says she has a small studio apartment in NYC, drives her pickup home to western Mass after Friday's show, and drives back either Sunday night or Monday morning.  Except, of course, when weather dictates otherwise.

• Love 2

Perhaps Rachel needs to invest in one of those large white boards like all the crime shows have, with pictures, and arrows, and notes.  Of course, with some new allegation every day, it would have to be huge. 

Maybe it could be the start of the Political Pinterest service...

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Calvada said:

Perhaps Rachel needs to invest in one of those large white boards like all the crime shows have, with pictures, and arrows, and notes.  Of course, with some new allegation every day, it would have to be huge. 

Cue Carrie Mathison!

• Love 3

I laughed out loud when Rachel apologized to Uzbekistan for comparing them to La familia naranja.

I used to live just steps from the Russian mission in the VEB story.(quite a few years earlier, but still.).We used to joke about microwave surveillance... I am continually amazed at how dumb Carter Page is. Good on Buzzfeed.

• Love 2

Awesome that Nunes' constituents greeted him with the Russian anthem when he arrived at a banquet hall in his District where he was scheduled to speak.  Of course he was a coward and snuck in the back door.

• Love 10

Eww, yuk, pfft, gak, pfft, gak, pfft.  

Translation -- that segment where Rachel and Andrea Mitchell were giving each other mutual tongue baths was nauseating.  You're a great journalist, Rachel.  No, you're a great journalist, Andrea.  (I've been researching cats today.)

I loved Rachel pointing out the hypocrisy of trump's tweets to Obama to leave Syria alone, plus Congress' ostrich act when Obama asked for authorization to attack, and now trump is blaming Obama for not attacking Syria. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, navelgazer said:

Eww, yuk, pfft, gak, pfft, gak, pfft.  

Translation -- that segment where Rachel and Andrea Mitchell were giving each other mutual tongue baths was nauseating.  You're a great journalist, Rachel.  No, you're a great journalist, Andrea.  (I've been researching cats today.)

I can't believe Rachel's praise of Andrea ... guess she has to because she's a "colleague".  Blech!!

• Love 2

I found Rachel's coverage of the quiet troop buildup in Syria a little disturbing.   With that situation and the China meeting/issues with N Korea, it feels like there is a lot up in the air right now that could become very serious very quickly.

• Love 5

I thought Rachel's discussion of the disastrous effect of the Russian plutocrats' thievery on the average Russian was excellent, and I hope she dives into that further.  It's too easy to think of these billionaires and their bling as just an aberration or something out of Dynasty, and that the poor economy is just due to low oil prices and economic sanctions, but if you can tie their rapine of their country directly to hardship and suffering for their countrymen, maybe someone will give a damn.

• Love 10

I love when Dahlia Lithwick is the guest.  She writes wonderfully informative articles about the courts on Slate.  She knows her stuff and that's why Rachel has her on.

• Love 5

I'd been grumbling all day about Bentley's getting off in exchange for resigning, so I was surprised to see his mug shot. I've seldom been so happy to be corrected -- he actually had to plead guilty, which is not the impression I was under. Whoo hoo! I did hit the mute for the final (please god, let it be so) replay of the audioperv.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, attica said:

I'd been grumbling all day about Bentley's getting off in exchange for resigning, so I was surprised to see his mug shot. I've seldom been so happy to be corrected -- he actually had to plead guilty, which is not the impression I was under.

Yes, he pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges involving misuse of funds.  The plea agreement specifies he must surrender campaign funds of almost $37K,  perform 100 hours of community service as a physician, and not seek public office again.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Heh Lawrence was right - Rachel is the kiss of death for governors. 

What is of great service is that she's one of the few who consistently keeps a close eye on local governments. It's invaluable, the way she is constantly on their asses, I very much appreciate it.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Yes, he pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges involving misuse of funds.  The plea agreement specifies he must surrender campaign funds of almost $37K,  perform 100 hours of community service as a physician, and not seek public office again.

Who in the world would want to consult this guy as a physician?  Wikipedia says he's a dermatologist -- what woman would be willing to remove her blouse for an examination by him?  Good luck, & good riddance!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

And the Birmingham News reported he will also not get his pension and the customary State Trooper protection given to ex-Governors. We have a friend who knows the reporter Rachel had on last night. He's coming to visit in a few weeks - looking forward to see what he's been talking to him about this story.

I'm also interested to hear of other fallout that Rachel alluded to. Our friends in Alabama have been appalled by their politics for quite some time.

• Love 2

Rachel points out well how Spicer has real communication problems. 

Interesting report about Carter Page and the Fisa warrant and all the Russian contacts he has, especially while working for a he trump campaign.  Are we really supposed to believe trump didn't know this?  really?

• Love 7

I saw last night  that one of the first things the new Governor of AL did was fire the husband of Bentley's girlfriend--who was still working for the state.   

15 minutes ago, car54 said:

I saw last night  that one of the first things the new Governor of AL did was fire the husband of Bentley's girlfriend--who was still working for the state.   

The husband was cheated on & treated like dirt, so now he gets fired???!!!

I believe the job was a payoff appointment by the luv guv.   The guy was a former weatherman appointed to be director of Faith Based and Volunteer services at $91,000 a year.

• Love 3

I was a little surprised that Rachel didn't get to the Twitler/Russia stuff until the middle of the show, but when she got there, she really did shine.  

My favorite part came when she totally blew up the eternal false equivalence bullshit that both the Dems and Pugs are evil politicians only concerned with their own partisan goals, a pox on both of their houses, they're equivalent.  

Her evidence was a poll back in 2013 asking Democrats and Republicans what they thought about Obama attacking Syria because Assad crossed the "red line" and the Republican-controlled Congress said no.  In 2013 38% of Democrats and 22% of Pugs supported any Syria bombing.  In 2017, 37% of Dems support the bombing; 86% of Pugs support.  

This is clear evidence that the Pugs' support is entirely dependent upon the party identity of the person proposing the action.  The Dems and Pugs are provably not the same.  Game.  Set.  Match.  

Nice job, Rachel.  

ETA: Screenshot of poll and to correct Pug numbers. 

33622091110_60f3e143db_b.jpg

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Sessions has it wrong - he's the filfth - not immigrants. That poor woman. 

Unfortunately, while I agree that Sessions is lower than pond scum, Rachel and others apparently got the context of the comment wrong:

"I was wrong about Jeff Sessions"

The context is clear: Sessions was going to use “filth” to describe MS-13 and drug cartels, not all illegal immigrants crossing the border. One might think, like I do, that the language is hyperbolic, but in context it did not imply what I thought it implied in my tweet.

Following David Nir's appearance the other night, regarding dem gains in special elections and grassroots activism, there's this bit of follow-up news.

I'm glad in general that Rachel is having Daily Kos people like Nir on the show. (Really, since Markos Moulitsas sassed Scarborough and got the talking-head boot yea those many years ago, they've been missing the air/cablewaves.) That they've been responsible for hauling in such big cash totals for candidates oughta get them a seat at the discussion table, imo. Maybe Rachel will send somebody to cover the netroots convention this time, seeing as how they always have cameras at CPAC. 

• Love 1

My hopes were raised last night. Rachel pointed out that CIA is reminding us that it scooped the FBI re Trump associates with Russia connections. And some foreign intelligence agencies (the Brits, the French) are claiming "we were first" as well. None of these entities would be chasing credit if this was a nothing burger.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, suomi said:

a nothing burger.

Which is not to be confused with a chilled 'burger' from Air Koryo! Lord, I really do wonder what that meat is? Or if it's meat at all. 

• Love 4

It's been interesting hearing "Alex Jones' on-air persona is just an act" publicly sworn to. I've heard it before as hearsay. However, him doing it at home in front of the kids is gross. I wonder if his reputation with his fans (one in particular) is going to take a hit, now that his lawyer is swearing he's a phony. 

Was I alone during the 'stupid or nefarious' block telling my screen 'both, dammit!'? I don't think I was...

I would like to see an interview with the skipper of the Carl Vinson, to find out exactly how amused/annoyed he is about being the subject of an international Where's Waldo effort. 'Yeah, w'evs, bro. We're just here sailing around the Indian Ocean looking at sunsets. You all think we're in the Sea of Japan? Psyyyyych!'

• Love 3
4 hours ago, attica said:

Was I alone during the 'stupid or nefarious' block telling my screen 'both, dammit!'? I don't think I was...

I would like to see an interview with the skipper of the Carl Vinson, to find out exactly how amused/annoyed he is about being the subject of an international Where's Waldo effort. 'Yeah, w'evs, bro. We're just here sailing around the Indian Ocean looking at sunsets. You all think we're in the Sea of Japan? Psyyyyych!'

No!! I was thinking stupid AND nefarious. They aren't mutually exclusive and they sure as fuck describe the Trump Administration. 

One of the Vinson stories I read was that "we told them to go to Sea of Japan, but couldn't get a hold of them, and the story had already been reported".

Excuse me. This isn't 1875. You don't have to write a letter and send it carrier pigeon to the ship and hope they get it in time. WTF 

not to be confused with a chilled 'burger' from Air Koryo! Lord, I really do wonder what that meat is? Or if it's meat at all. 

At one point in that story I'm looking at the pics and thinking "please Dear God tell me those aren't maggots".  

Air Koryo -  our food sucks but at least we don't beat you up and drag you off the plane!

Tonight:  Jon Ossoff, Bill O'Reilly & Jason Chaffetz.   This party is gonna be off the hook!! 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 4

I love Rachel and her show. I am tolerant of her schtick, but when she has a big guest on like Senator Warren, I get a little tired of the 20 minute A block. Honestly, tonight tried my patience worse than the night of the big "Trump Tax Return Reveal."

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, General Days said:

I love Rachel and her show. I am tolerant of her schtick, but when she has a big guest on like Senator Warren, I get a little tired of the 20 minute A block. Honestly, tonight tried my patience worse than the night of the big "Trump Tax Return Reveal."

I thought Rachel's opening segment was very interesting and made me all the more suspicious of Sect. of State Tillerson....when she told how much money the Russian Oil firm(Rosneft?) and Exxon were going to make drilling oil in the Kara Sea(off the coast of Siberia), it made me think how "convenient" that the former head of Exxon is now our Sect. of State & he can get the sanctions lifted so that the Russians(and Exxon) can re-start their drilling in the Kara Sea.  As Rachel keeps pointing out, this Russia connection is all about the MONEY!

• Love 15

I liked the opening segment as well.  This administration gets sleazier by the minute and it is imperative that the sketchy ties, influence peddling, outright collusion, etc., be called out loudly and often.

Elizabeth Warren is smart, funny and personable.  I'm ready to vote for her right now. 

ETA:  Going back and reading some of the Guardian's reporting of the infamous dossier was this bit:

"Additionally, the dossier alleges that Trump’s foreign policy aide Carter Page visited Moscow in July 2016, where on 7 or 8 July he held a secret meeting with Igor Sechin, head of the Russian state oil company Rosneft and Putin’s de facto deputy. The report says that Sechin said that future energy deals depended on a Trump administration’s willingness to lift sanctions, imposed by the Obama administration in 2014 after Putin annexed Crimea."

The researchers for TRMS must have a hell of a board detailing all this shit.

Edited by Kitty Redstone
  • Love 11

I thought Rachel's opening segment was very interesting and made me all the more suspicious of Sect. of State Tillerson....when she told how much money the Russian Oil firm(Rosneft?) and Exxon were going to make drilling oil in the Kara Sea(off the coast of Siberia), it made me think how "convenient" that the former head of Exxon is now our Sect. of State & he can get the sanctions lifted so that the Russians(and Exxon) can re-start their drilling in the Kara Sea.  As Rachel keeps pointing out, this Russia connection is all about the MONEY!

And now Tillerson is all over the news with "we have to be sure Iran doesn't turn into North Korea".

Just more of the Trump distraction campaign.  Syria didn't work, MOAB didn't work, North Korea didn't work, we totally fucked up with the USS Carl Vinson strike group story, let's see if they'll believe Iran is going to nuke us". 

The researchers for TRMS must have a hell of a board detailing all this shit.

• Love 10

Hah! teddysmom, that was my first thought, too! Only, I've only ever seen Rachel with a yellow highlighter, so maybe she hasn't gone full-rainbow-pen-Carrie cray.

One of the things I like about Senator E Dubs is how she keeps her wardrobe simple. She rotates the same few pop-of-color jackets and keeps the rest unremarkable. I like many other things about her, mind you. I would like her to be my march-attending aunt.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Rachel's been on top of all these Cabinet appointments from the start, which is why I really appreciate her show.  It's because of her explaining Tillerson that I long ago realized his ONLY purpose as SoS is to lift the sanctions on Russia and make that Exxon/Putin oil deal move forward.  That's why Jared is acting SoS and Tillerson has nothing to say to Andrea Mitchell - he isn't supposed to do any SoS work except make Exxon and Putin (via his state-owned Rosneft) $500B richer.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, attica said:

Hah! teddysmom, that was my first thought, too! Only, I've only ever seen Rachel with a yellow highlighter, so maybe she hasn't gone full-rainbow-pen-Carrie cray.

One of the things I like about Senator E Dubs is how she keeps her wardrobe simple. She rotates the same few pop-of-color jackets and keeps the rest unremarkable. I like many other things about her, mind you. I would like her to be my march-attending aunt.

"E Dubs" ?????

"E Dubs" ?????

Few things are as reliable comedy gold than using hip-hop slang/argot by or about older white people, in my experience.

Edited by attica
  • Love 1