• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, TexasGal said:

Rachel's intro into the clip of Donnie's dentures slipping really cracked me up.  I'm sure she was sincere in her statement that she doesn't like to focus on the way people talk etc but for some reason it just made the whole thing more amusing for me.  God Blesh the United Shtatesh.

I've seen the clip a few times and watched to see if the teeth seemed to be moving but they weren't.  Interesting to compare how Rachel was almost reticent in talking about the incident vs. Chris Hayes who had a good giggle-fest over it.  I watch Chris/Rachel/Lawrence and while their ideologies appear to be similar, their approaches to and perspectives on the same piece of information are often quite different. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, meowmommy said:

I watch Chris/Rachel/Lawrence and while their ideologies appear to be similar, their approaches to and perspectives on the same piece of information are often quite different. 

I don't watch Chris Hayes often enough to have an opinion, but I'd say Rachel is usually dorky but always classy, whereas Lawrence is currently in an I-don't-give-a-fuck mode.

• Love 7

That clip of trump begs the question of why wasn't a glass or bottle of water available for him at the podium.  I'm wondering if someone messed up or if he just wanted to avoid another Marco Rubio* moment.  I could see his vanity creating the latter situation.  It gives another slant to "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

*Can we henceforth use "a Marco Rubio" to describe a water dive (as in "pull a Marco Rubio"), much like "Rube Goldberg" describes a wacky contraption?

• Love 1

I think I saw all of the TRMS special on "The Dossier", but I did not hear anything new, even in interpretation.  It seemed to be a timeline of revelations about Russia connections linked to the Dossier.  Did I miss something that was new?   

19 minutes ago, jjj said:

I think I saw all of the TRMS special on "The Dossier", but I did not hear anything new, even in interpretation.  It seemed to be a timeline of revelations about Russia connections linked to the Dossier.  Did I miss something that was new?   

I thought it was a review of things we knew; there was no breaking news.  A way of getting Rachel a long weekend, I guess.  A bit disappointing, because she made it seem like it would be new reporting.  

In her last decade or so, my mother would occasionally slur her words a bit.  I worried she might be having a stroke and would suggest a blood pressure check, but it turned out to mean she was tired and/or dehydrated. She had no dentures, so that wasn't the issue.  I think Donald's teeth are fake, and he needs a tube of Fixodent or Super Poligrip in his Christmas stocking.  I'm sure there's room alongside the lump of coal . . .

I wish Rachel had been on live tonight to address the refusal of John Lewis to attend the opening of the civil rights museum because Trump will be there. 

• Love 2

Yes, I also had the impression that there was something newsworthy in the special on "The Dossier", based on what she said on Thursday.  But it was more like a year-end "these are the headlines of the past year" style, and I did not hear anything I had not already heard reported many times on several shows over the past year.  I did think I might have missed some setup, but just heard the opening repeat, and nope.  I was disappointed, also, although I am glad Rachel can have a long weekend. 

2 hours ago, Calvada said:

I thought it was a review of things we knew; there was no breaking news.  A way of getting Rachel a long weekend, I guess.  A bit disappointing, because she made it seem like it would be new reporting.  

Edited by jjj
11 hours ago, jjj said:

I don't think so, this was mostly a recap. I knew it all but, it was cool to have everything laid out in a timeline with quick succession (instead of months between news stories).

One thing that has always and continues to bug me, it was towards the end of the program where they guys was like this doesn't mean collusion it's just smoke, smoke doesn't necessarily mean anything. I've been hearing the same shit for a year now and it's like how much further in the sand can you burry your head? Is there a smoking gun? No but, there's a shit tonight of circumstantial evidence.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

it was cool to have everything laid out in a timeline with quick succession (instead of months between news stories).

I agree. And it was also time to summarize what has been proven and what was still in the hopper being investigated. We keep hearing "fake news" and "the dossier is a nothing burger" from the other side, and this special was just a reminder that a lot of what was in the dossier HAS been proven out by both Mueller's team and investigative reporting. It is also a reminder that Hillary and the DNC weren't the ones to initiate the dossier, that Christopher Steele is a highly regarded operative who can gather good intel from reliable spooks in Russia, it was a Republican who brought the info to the attention of the FBI and there more than likely IS kompromat on Trump. If there was new info about the dossier, Rachel would do a breaking news A segment with jazz hands, leaning over her desk (which I love, by the way).

• Love 6

I wonder why Michael Beschloss only gets 2 to 3 minutes when he is on.  He's usually in the last 15 minutes, and Rachel spends more time on the set-up and introduction than she does actually talking with him.  But he and Rachel seem genuinely fond of each other, don't they?  I lover their conversations, brief as they are.

OMG - what the hell was that with Roy Moore's wife?  Standing behind her, the expression on his face was priceless!  I think he was proud of her, when any other candidate, hearing their spouse say something so crazily inappropriate, would have that frozen smile as they imagine votes slipping away.  

• Love 1

This really cracked me up:  "It looks more like a haiku than a detailed financial analysis."  (Regarding the Treasury Department's one page "analysis" of the effects of the Republican tax plan.)

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 6

Thirty minutes into last night's show and I was depressed.

When the mostly rational, though right leaning Wall St Journal, goes after Robert Mueller, the abyss might be getting too deep to climb out of.

• Love 3

Geez! Steve's rapid-fire delivery of all that stat stuff was making me hyperventilate. I don't suppose he ever drinks decaf on election days.

I've never been so glad for an on-the-ground expert to be wrong as I was for that AL.com reporter (who assured us repeatedly that RM would win).

• Love 4
22 hours ago, attica said:

Geez! Steve's rapid-fire delivery of all that stat stuff was making me hyperventilate. I don't suppose he ever drinks decaf on election days.

I just remember him drooling over his boards last year and feverishly predicting an HRC landslide. 

Tonight's show was so interesting and informative!  Rachel had 4 District Attorneys and a Law Professor who were discussing the legal facts of the Mueller investigation, she said we could get our Law Degree by listening, lol...she was so buoyant and excited to have them on.  I was impressed with all of them, so serious & thoughtful, no hype or over-exaggeration.  She took questions from viewers too. A good way to end the week.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, Fairfax said:

I loved it too.  PBS & NPR do this kind of thing sometimes & it should be more widespread & more often.  Very glad to see it, & I hope she'll keep it up.

I loved it because it is about informing the audience and giving them a clear picture of the facts.  

• Love 4

I think Rachel is the only one pointing out just what a damn liar Pence is.   

The story she did on Collins was rage inducing.  I hope that she gets to play it again when Collins loses in 2020 to show why.  IMO, that bill just lost them all their jobs. 

• Love 13
5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I think Rachel is the only one pointing out just what a damn liar Pence is.  

Her staff should assume that any time they call his office and ask a question, the answer will be a lie.   I guess since I'm from Indiana, it seems like "same shit different day" to me, but other viewers might need to be informed of what a sleazeball he is.

5 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The story she did on Collins was rage inducing.  I hope that she gets to play it again when Collins loses in 2020 to show why.  IMO, that bill just lost them all their jobs. 

M. Darcy  I'm trying to find this on youtube, as my computer won't play MSNBC videos for some reason. Do you happen to recall the title of the segment? THX! 

Ryan needn't worry. After Randy Bryce kicks his ass, he can get a job as a P90X counselor or fake dish washer at a soup kitchen. 

• Love 10

Rachel:  "There are so many warning red flags flying, it feels like MayDay in Moscow."  Thanks for airing Senator Warner's speech; I almost turned off the sound, then heard he actually was using words like "fringe element" in terms of the attempts to discredit Mueller and the FBI .  But now she is explaining the need for the Senator Warner remarks by talking about the "secret working group" of Republicans in the House who are attempting their own coup of the special counsel.  

• Love 2

I was really hoping Rach wasn't gonna show broadly smiling fools congratulating each other.  She didn't.  Thanks, Rach.  Much appreciated. 

And yeah, I did like her chuckling in disbelief that the new tax law will go into effect in 11 days & that she tried to give us a teeny taste of the mass chaos & confusion which is sure to happen.  But her guest, some tax guy from Politico (or maybe another pub or site?), was kinda weak.  You made your point, Rach, but get a better expert on taxes, who can articulate better on cam than that guy.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

M. Darcy  I'm trying to find this on youtube, as my computer won't play MSNBC videos for some reason. Do you happen to recall the title of the segment? THX! 

I think its "Activists unrelenting in pressuring Senator Collins on tax bill" and it included an interview with Marie Follayttar Smith.   

But her guest, some tax guy from Politico (or maybe another pub or site?) was kinda weak. 

I don't think she was going for this but it was kind of adapt.  No one is prepared or knows what do it when this goes into effect and him not knowing much proved that. 

• Love 3

Alert, Friday evening!  The Lawrence O-Donnell show will have a segment that consists of the "best of" the handoffs of Rachel to Lawrence for the past year.  You know Judy from the diner will be in there, maybe twice! Ironically, Lawrence is off, so Ari Velshi will host this special segment. 

You could tell Rachel was revved up for big news on this Friday before a holiday -- but <crickets>.  I felt bad for her especially in the first 35 minutes, when she seemed to be the only person in her studio, like Mary Tyler Moore in her first Christmas at station WJM.  Finally, guests showed up at Rachel's show in the final 25 minutes. 

ETA:  Eh, the handoff highlights were entertaining, not great.  No Judy from the diner.  But at the end, Ari said, "And that's not even the best of the best!  Tune in next Friday..." for the year end special and the *real* "best of the best .  

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I'm at work this week (when nearly no one else is, how delightful!), and I spent some of yesterday playing some favorite Bad Lip Reading clips. So I was spoiled, but no less tickled, to see Joy's making a present of the latest clip to Rachel.  "I vill live in silence..." Heeeee.

Fly!

43 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Thank goodness Joy's guests were all great last night. Bad luck of the draw the night before that they were all snoozers. I'm guessing that WSJ reporter is never getting invited back.

I second that guess.  He was out of his depth!!  LOL.  (Anybody remember his name so we can watch out for him in future?)

Edited by Medicine Crow
Curious!!
  • Love 3

Joy was glowing last night. I don't know if they did her make up or lighting differently, or if it was the blue of her dress or just her mood, but her usual radiance was magnified intensely.

I'm enjoying her guest hosting a lot. I always like her, so it's not a huge surprise, but still... it's making me really want her to get a regular prime time gig. I just don't feel like watching on weekend mornings, so I miss AMJoy a lot.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Joy was glowing last night. I don't know if they did her make up or lighting differently, or if it was the blue of her dress or just her mood, but her usual radiance was magnified intensely.

I'm enjoying her guest hosting a lot. I always like her, so it's not a huge surprise, but still... it's making me really want her to get a regular prime time gig. I just don't feel like watching on weekend mornings, so I miss AMJoy a lot.

Joy was luminous. I loved her banter with Ari Melber, during, the handoff, who was filling in for Lawrence. I could watch Joy, Rachel, Lawrence and Ari talking and debating all day long.

• Love 7

On the Friday Lawrence O'Donnell show, his year-end pre-recorded wrap up included more of the handoffs from Rachel, including "Judy from the diner".  But he really edited it down, so it was a little disappointing -- not enough Rachel.