All Episodes Discussion: 2017 Season

• Start Topic

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, what a blazingly busy show of breaking news, even when we are used to Rachel covering breaking news.  And how brilliant that she had just referred to the Senator Murkowski "extortion" from the Interior Secretary, when she was handed an update that he was being investigated by the Inspector General.  And could there be ANY BETTER GUEST than *my* current favourite, Walter Shaub, ready for his closeup?  And he hit it out of the park.  Then handoff to Lawrence, who for a second truly had a deer in the headlights look on his face, as well he should!

Thank you, Rachel, even though I was supposed to get an hour of work done while your show aired.  That's what caffeine is for, I guess, to make up the time after midnight...

Oh, and her show was even more of a treat because I thought her hour would be taken up with the Trump Phoenix speech, so I thought I had the hour free.  As she and Lawrence said, "huh, *Phoenicians*, who knew"?  (I didn't, and I live out West now.) 

Edited by jjj
-now I know "Shaub" only has five letters!
  • Love 3

Wow, what a blazingly busy show of breaking news, even when we are used to Rachel covering breaking news.

It was every five seconds!  Hmm, who knew that apparently threatening people is not very legal.  Especially threatening government officials.  Though, I'm not a lawyer (I just watch a lot of Law and Order), I think it wasn't the fact that he threatened a US Senator that has Zinke is trouble, its the fact that he as a government official threatened someone.  

Ah, but I am accustomed for my presidential historian crushes to be unrequited. I'll just sit here giggling

I will admit that even though I am a grown woman, every time Senator Franken calls our office, I start giggling.  Or even just leaves a voice mail message. Which I never do normally. 

• Love 4

I think I knew that people of Phoenix are 'Phoenicians' (i have friends that live there), but really, what else would they be called? Phoenixites? Fawkeses?

Don't get me started on the research it took me to find out what inhabitants of Connecticut are called. If you don't know, you won't guess. I'll spoiler tag it for funsies:

Spoiler

Nutmeggers.  Because it's the Nutmeg State. And because Connecticans and Connecticutians sound dippy, I guess. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, attica said:

but really, what else would they be called?

My friends call me insane, because of the heat.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's show because I have NO idea what she is going to discuss. The rally last night is almost too stupid to go over. Crossing my fingers for breaking news X2!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ahisma said:

This Tucsonan says move 100 miles south. We're 5 degrees cooler

I'm originally from Yuma. Everywhere is cooler to me.

I wanted breaking news tonight but not what we got. I really hope there are several lawsuits ready to go on the transgender ban.

Can.Not.Wait to read the dossier. Sounds like it has everything in it- pee tape info, financials, hacking. No wonder Cheeto is calling Republicans daily, begging for protection. 

• Love 5

Oh, yes, even as she was talking about him, I assumed her staff was busy trying to get contact information.  And Lawrence O'Donnell also said they were on the trail of him.  I hope Mr. Rachel's Boyfriend's significant other understands there is not much to worry about as far as Rachel's infatuation is concerned.  But I also hope he is comfortable with suddenly being in the national spotlight.  I go to town halls, and really don't think about whether or not I might end up on a newsreel -- always assume the elected official is the focus. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

VINDICATION!!

I told a coworker when the dossier was published that everyone was focusing on the peetape stuff, and not what was really important, that the Russians were working Trump.  (too many spy novels, read? Check)  If I could figure it out, what the fuck MSM? Focus!!!! 

At the end after Rick Wilson all I could think was OH MY FUCKING GOD.  I mean if Rachel's BF in Iowa is following it this closely that he asks Grassley to release the transcript at a town hall? 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, teddysmom said:

VINDICATION!!

I told a coworker when the dossier was published that everyone was focusing on the peetape stuff, and not what was really important, that the Russians were working Trump.  (too many spy novels, read? Check)  If I could figure it out, what the fuck MSM? Focus!!!! 

At the end after Rick Wilson all I could think was OH MY FUCKING GOD.  I mean if Rachel's BF in Iowa is following it this closely that he asks Grassley to release the transcript at a town hall? 

Because sensationalism sells. ? Everyone focused in the flashy/sexy (not really) aspects but, the meat got ignored. 

I look forward to people (media/Feds) following the roadmap.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

Aside from all the serious topics under discussion, I want to note that Rachel wore a beautiful dark brown jacket on Wednesday.  Maybe she has worn it previously on the air, but it's the first time I saw it.  Stunning.

• Love 6

Aw, Rach, if I didn't luv you enough already, I think I luv you 10X more tonite.  Why?  Cuz you just made Carl Icahn pee & shit in his pants right at the same time!  

Er, Carl Icahn, if you weren't watchin' Rach tonite, you are on Eric Schneiderman's radar for the bullshit you were trying to pull by "advising" Trump -- all to make yourself an extra few hundred mil you don't even need, you greedy evil fuck!

In the billions of wacko statements/speeches/tweets Trump blathers out, it's so damned easy to miss something really & truly crazy.  So we depend on Rach to pick up on something everyone else misses, right?  OK, so Rach clued us in that he wants to pillage Afghanistan's resources to "pay" for US military involvement there.  Seriously, what the fuckety fuck?  This is even more nuts than paying Betsy DeVos's scuzzball brother 10 bil a year.  Thanks, Rach, for pointing this one out.  Oh, and thanks for the Jared update, Rach.  Always get a kick outta those.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 5

What I enjoy is Rachel re-enacting scenes and conversations, like the one last night about the Russian "fixer" who "just happened" to be in NYC and at lunch by *chance* with the woman who was going to meet Jared and Don Jr. and company to offer the goods on Hillary.  Rachel, acting the parts of all the characters: "So, *hey*, do you wanna come over to Trump Tower to meet these guys? Jared and Donnie?  None of you know one another, right? Sure, this is a great *impromptu* idea! What a good thing I happened to be in New York today!" 

2 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Aw, Rach, if I didn't luv you enough already, I think I luv you 10X more tonite.  Why?  Cuz you just made Carl Icahn pee & shit in his pants right at the same time!  

Oh, and thanks for the Jared update, Rach.  Always get a kick outta those.

• Love 8

Piece by piece the puzzle is coming together.  I love hearing the background on the participants of the Russia/trump tower meeting.

in any ethical administration, Carl Ichan would be under indictment.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Because sensationalism sells. ? Everyone focused in the flashy/sexy (not really) aspects but, the meat got ignored. 

I look forward to people (media/Feds) following the roadmap.

Unfortunately, you're right. What amazes me though is how stupid the rest of the media is. As soon as Rachel declared a few months ago she was going to ignore Trump's tweets and talk about what he DID rather than what he said, her ratings skyrocketed her to the top of cable tv. People obviously want to hear about what's going on, not what idiocies Trump tweets while he takes his morning dump. Wouldn't it be great if the rest of the media put as much work into revealing what the crook has been up to and informing the nation. Thank goodness for Rachel (and WaPo and NYT).

• Love 16

I had a feeling on Thursday that Rachel would not be on the air on Friday, because she did not make a point of saying either she or her show would be on the job on Friday (after really hammering the point the previous Thursday).  So, it is Ari Melber in for Rachel, but at least it is a live show!  I really do hope Richard Engel gets more of a spotlight for his international investigative work -- the plan was to give him regular time during the slow Fridays of summer, but this unusual news summer has erupted all over that plan. 

• Love 2
On 8/25/2017 at 6:25 PM, jjj said:

I had a feeling on Thursday that Rachel would not be on the air on Friday, because she did not make a point of saying either she or her show would be on the job on Friday (after really hammering the point the previous Thursday). 

With the hurricane coming, she maybe thought it would be storm watch all night. I'm really glad that instead Ari was able to pack in tons of commentary on all the Friday night news dumps! (Though who was that presidential historian who wasn't our NBC boyfriend Michael Beschloss?) 

I loved that everybody went all in. Ruben Gallego, especially, gave zero fucks! But, like all Arizonans who aren't racist assholes, he hates Arpaio. My two dreams have been seeing that bastard tossed into his own jail, and seeing Trump in an orange jumpsuit in the lockup. Please, goddess, do not take that latter one away from me, too...

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 7
On 8/25/2017 at 4:39 AM, jjj said:

What I enjoy is Rachel re-enacting scenes and conversations, like the one last night about the Russian "fixer" who "just happened" to be in NYC and at lunch by *chance* with the woman who was going to meet Jared and Don Jr. and company to offer the goods on Hillary.  Rachel, acting the parts of all the characters: "So, *hey*, do you wanna come over to Trump Tower to meet these guys? Jared and Donnie?  None of you know one another, right? Sure, this is a great *impromptu* idea! What a good thing I happened to be in New York today!" 

My husband and I love when she rubs her hands in "glee" before starting her segment....and everything you said above.  ??

• Love 7

Excellent Houston coverage, Rach.  There is such a tendency for this type of coverage to get way too exploitative (er, cough, cough, Anderson Cooper & CNN in general).  But Rach really effectively covered the specifics on what's going on with the damns & reservoirs near Houston & how it's affecting flooding.  So informative.  Thanks for this really clear explanation, Rach.  And she brought up the specifics of the possible upcoming dangers of the chemical industry being based in Houston.  Didn't see this covered anywhere else.  Altho, I just saw a story about this pop up on the NY Times site.  So Rach beat 'em!

• Love 2

The only other place I've seen the chemical plant issue covered is Democracy Now. They got there ahead of her, but they air earlier in the day, so I grant her the tie for who was first.

I like that she consistently does not make her hour look like every other hour. I'm watching way too much tv lately, and when I think about cutting back, I know that if I miss Rachel, I won't just be missing the same story told by a different face.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

The only other place I've seen the chemical plant issue covered is Democracy Now. They got there ahead of her, but they air earlier in the day, so I grant her the tie for who was first.

I like that she consistently does not make her hour look like every other hour. I'm watching way too much tv lately, and when I think about cutting back, I know that if I miss Rachel, I won't just be missing the same story told by a different face.

The more important point is that Rach is NOT the one getting soaked & interviewing dazed people going thru the worst times of their lives.  That's CNN now 24/7 & it's unbearable to watch such gross exploitation.  Nope, we can depend on Rach to give us updates & clear explanations of the latest on EVERYTHING -- not just on Houston, but Trump & Russia & some history too.  Thanks, Rach, and keep bringing Bechloss back.

• Love 8

At least twice on Wednesday, Rachel said "let's stick a flag in that" -- at first, I thought she meant she was planting a flag to claim a story as her own.  But later, after the segment on the confirmation process for the head of the criminal division of the Department of Justice, at the end, she said, "let's stick a flag in that."  I think she meant "let's stick a pin in that," as a placeholder. 

Yesterday, when she was reporting on the chemical plant and asked for a map to show its proximity to Houston, she was seriously unhappy with the zoomed-out map that showed Texas and surrounding states (so, useless for showing proximity), saying three times, "you can take that down."  And she hit the desk the second time, and just stopped talking the third time until they took down the graphic.  I have rarely seen Rachel so peeved at a production issue. 

• Love 7
18 minutes ago, jjj said:

At least twice on Wednesday, Rachel said "let's stick a flag in that" -- at first, I thought she meant she was planting a flag to claim a story as her own.  But later, after the segment on the confirmation process for the head of the criminal division of the Department of Justice, at the end, she said, "let's stick a flag in that."  I think she meant "let's stick a pin in that," as a placeholder. 

Yeah, that's a bit of a Rachel-ism.  It took me awhile to get used to that.

• Love 2

She got impatient with technical problems tonight, also. She asked them to put up a graphic and they didn't do it and she kept asking and asking and it took them a long time to do it. I don't blame her for being annoyed. It's clear there's someone sleeping on the job and it's really unprofessional, especially for a live show.

• Love 5

Yes, the ending on Wednesday was very rough -- and funny, because she ended what she thought was a segment with "watch this space", and the camera stayed on her as she lowered her head so they could cut away to commercial.  Someone must have been talking in her ear, because she suddenly popped up with , "oh, you mean, watch this space *now*?" And then ended up with Lawrence O'Donnell over thirty seconds early. 

I realize many here get irritated at "watch this space"! 

The ending didn't bother me.  Rach kept her cool & improvised nicely.  Actually, it was kinda awesome cuz it gave 'em both the op for an extra added emphasis on the ridiculously suspicious Trump nod to Grassley on ethanol, just after the announcement of Trump Jr's "interview" being set before Grassley's committee.

Great follow up on what's going on with the chemical plants in Houston, Rach!

• Love 2

It's the time of year when control rooms are manned by new people or subs for vacationing regulars.  This kind of control room flubbing is happening on my local stations too.  

Or it could be that the control room has just been upgraded (or really really needs to be) and no one is used to it yet.

At least Rachel has the experience to assume she's still on camera and broadcasting until she verifies otherwise.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kassygreene said:

At least Rachel has the experience to assume she's still on camera and broadcasting until she verifies otherwise.

In terms of people who can wing it so there's no dead air, I don't think there's anyone better than Rachel and LOD.  It was just an odd flub by the production people.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Great follow up on what's going on with the chemical plants in Houston, Rach!

I expect she'll have more updates on that since the plant did start exploding.  I heard there were two explosions and the resulting fire, which officials were saying was nothing to worry about, not toxic at all, nope.

• Love 2

I'm glad Joy mentioned that Harriet Tubman might not make it onto the $20 (though we might just have to wait until the next Dem Administration).  Heh, Lawrence was probably right that the Treasury Secretary had no clue about this. 

• Love 4

Mmmmm, s'mores . . . .

Topic?  I think Joy is one of the best fill-ins for Rachel.  But I'm glad to hear that Rachel will be back Tuesday.  

On a shallow note, Joy was absolutely gorgeous in that orange dress, or was it a blouse?

• Love 2

A reminder that this topic is about discussing what happens on The Rachel Maddow Show. This is not a place to discuss other shows, websites, follow up on stories with additional links, how CNN or other MSNBC shows covered a story, your personal politics, etc.

We have removed a lot of posts lately that have strayed from show discussion. Simply mentioning Rachel in a post does not cut it. The next step will be handing out warnings, suspensions, or even bans from the site.

Thank you.

• Love 1

Oh sweet jeebus.  Rachel's in depth examination of US white nationalism past and present was informative, and enlightening, and by half way through I had to walk away from TV for a few minutes, it was so disturbing.  By the time she got to near the end where she was playing clips of Trump excusing/dismissing/downright praising white nationalists, I was literally sick to my stomach and had to turn the TV machine off. To be fair, most clips of Trump saying anything make me sick to my stomach, but this was really .... really uhm.... well, it was..... shit, there just are no words for it.   If Rachel gave us a good cocktail recipe at then end to help calm our nerves, I'd appreciate someone posting it.  Until then I'll be guzzling gin and tonics.

Help us Robert Mueller, you're our only hope.

• Love 16

Well, that was a really depressing hour.  But well needed. Sigh, I had forgotten about the heil/hail discussion.  It does seem like simpler times but that was a warning that I don't think we all really believed.  Or wanted to believe.  But Rachel is right - its always been there.  Trump has just taken advantage. 

• Love 5

I was watching that this morning at 4 am (had to take the dog out).   I had to turn it off. I had seen the bit about the Klan in the 20s which segued into Trump's father being arrested at a rally in NYC.

Nazis lost. The Confederacy lost. What don't these dipshits get? 

• Love 7
On 9/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, Calvada said:

Mmmmm, s'mores . . . .

Topic?  I think Joy is one of the best fill-ins for Rachel.  But I'm glad to hear that Rachel will be back Tuesday.  

On a shallow note, Joy was absolutely gorgeous in that orange dress, or was it a blouse?

I also loved Joy's paisley dress the last time she filled in.  Gorgeous!

10 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Was Rachel really jelly of LOD, that Kamala Harris turned up on his show & NOT hers?  Sure seemed that way . . .

I don't think so!  She "gets" great guests & I don't think she would begrudge Lawrence getting Kamala Harris.  Just sayin'.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I don't think so!  She "gets" great guests & I don't think she would begrudge Lawrence getting Kamala Harris.  Just sayin'.

I think there's a true camaraderie between Rachel and Lawrence--so I feel she was both in awe of and happy for Lawrence to land Kamala Harris as a guest.

• Love 5
On 9/5/2017 at 9:54 AM, teddysmom said:

Nazis lost. ... What don't these dipshits get? 

The German Nazis lost.  The American Nazis actually won WW2.  FDR used the Trading with the Enemy Act in 1942 to confiscate the Union Banking Corp. for the duration of WW2, the Nazi bank run by American Nazi Prescott Bush,  After the war was over, Senator Bush got his Nazi bank back and he started a political dynasty with his Nazi money that eventually included two US presidents.  Other prominent American companies who aided/abetted the German war machine included AT&T, IBM, Coca-Cola, Standard Oil, Ford Motor Co., and so many more.  

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 3