Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: 2017 Season

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

But don't count Joy out.  She's pretty awesome too.  Just in a different way than Rach.  And she follows Rach in a similar vibe.  I loved how Joy kept pointing out in whatever discussions she had about Russian sanctions, that Trump still has NOT signed off on what Congress overwhelmingly passed.  This is EXACTLY what Rach would do.  So good sub-ing for Rach, Joy!

I was surprisingly happy with Monday night's episode. I thought I would be disappointed that it wasn't Rach but, I thought Joy did a really good job.

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

She did.  But tonite I was totally lost on the Fox/Seth Rich story.  Would Rach have made it clearer?  Maybe not.  But I miss her.  And I wanna see her list of Trump admin departures -- with the Mooch added in.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

....I wanna see her list of Trump admin departures -- with the Mooch added in.

Complete with the "Poof!" she used whenever a Republican Presidential candidate dropped out (back when there were 22-23 of them).

• Love 6

Complete with the "Poof!" she used whenever a Republican Presidential candidate dropped out (back when there were 22-23 of them).

Aw, I forgot about the Poof!  Good times.....well, maybe not.  But that was fun to watch. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, attica said:

Lawrence was sweet during the toss, letting us all know that Joy is still crushing the 9 pm ratings.  This pleases me on, like, 9 levels.

I hope the people in charge realize that Joy is beloved. Plus, Lawrence remembers that Joy was one of the many people who let the network know that Lawrence deserved a new contract, when the show actually was thinking of putting  that horrid Greta in his place.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 13
16 hours ago, attica said:

Lawrence was sweet during the toss, letting us all know that Joy is still crushing the 9 pm ratings.  This pleases me on, like, 9 levels.

He did it again tonite.  Sweet, but let's not get too repetitive, folks.  I did like Corey Booker telling Joy how awesome her Twitter is.  Well, that's cuz it is.

Rach, I really miss your lists!

• Love 8

Poor Joy -- people were tweeting her *during* the show last night to ask "when will Rachel be back?".  And she answered again in the final minute:  "For all of you tweeting to me, Rachel will be back *tomorrow*"! 

• Love 2
On 2017-08-01 at 11:39 PM, SierraMist said:

Lawrence just said that joy beat out Hannity in the ratings yesterday.  Yay!!  He's right.  Everyone loves Joy.

Previous post turned out to be baseless; I found the info that answered my questions and calmed my concerns. Apologies to the board.

Still really looking forward to Rachel coming back tonight, though :) Redoubling my yay!

Edited by maystone
  • Love 2

I think subbing for Rachel is the most thankless job.  No one can replace Rachel.  I love Joy when she subs for Chris Hayes or even Lawrence, although I love Lawrence.  I'm not that fond of Chris.  He's way too bland for me.  I'm so happy Rachel is back tonight.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I think subbing for Rachel is the most thankless job.  No one can replace Rachel.  I love Joy when she subs for Chris Hayes or even Lawrence, although I love Lawrence.  I'm not that fond of Chris.  He's way too bland for me.  I'm so happy Rachel is back tonight.

Me too, me too!  You're right about it being a thankless job subbing for Rachel.  There is no substitute, really.  Everyone pales.

It's interesting that you find Chris Hayes bland.  I have the opposite reaction to him.  Sometimes he gets himself so worked up that his voice gets higher and higher, right into Vienna Boys Choir territory and he starts talking so rapidly that his words all slur together.  I am rather fond of him, though, and hope that they're not easing him out. 

And again - YAY, Rachel's back tonight!

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Bless Rachel, 10 minutes in and I can already feel my nerves uncoiling from all this BS today.

I was just thinking the same thing.  Listening to her reports on NK have calmed me down a bit. I've been worried Trump was going to get us into a war with NK since before he was elected. But, I'm a bit calmer now then i was most of today.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

Bless Rachel, 10 minutes in and I can already feel my nerves uncoiling from all this BS today.

Oh God, me too!  Thank you for coming back, Rach.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  How much fishing can you do before it drives ya nuts?

Look, it's not that I wanna watch Rach cuz she's comforting.  No, no, no, that's not it at all about her.  See what she did this hour?  CNN is running a scare-fest over there, on how missiles from North Korea can destroy us all & how long it will take.  Not kidding.  This is what they're doing.  While I like Joy, her anti-Trump mindset overcomes her & it gets kinda too much -- even if you are anti-Trump.  Rach showed us tonite the big diff between her & Joy -- and why I'm so glad she came back, particularly with this latest North Korea news.

Rach was not about name-calling Trump.  She leaves that to LOD, who's pretty great at that stuff anyway.  Nope, that's just not Rach's style.  She's analytical.  That's why I dig her so much.  She wasn't about calling Trump's statements about North Korea's actions "bluster" or "bombastic".  She leaves that for others to do.  She was about analyzing what the EFFECT is of how Trump & his administration BEHAVES -- and how North Korea (and the world) might REACT.  And she was more concerned (from a HISTORICAL perspective) if any other president has done this before.  Thanks for going this route, Rach.  But I wouldn't expect anything else from you.

But Rach is not about pushing the panic button -- at least she won't too quickly or easily.  She seems to be the ONLY one taking a cold hard look at what's going on.  Thank you also, Rach, for ending your show with that interview with the NBC expert, who said calmly, for now, the "threats" coming both Trump & North Korea are "rhetoric".  I have NOT heard that anywhere else.  Everywhere else, it seems to be sky-is-falling panic.  Rach's many examples of similar nonsensical "rhetoric" outta North Korea in the recent past were really great!  Thanks for pointing out that a wolf can't strangle anyone, Rach.  Oh, and I liked how Rach pointed out the same story that WaPo came out with this morning was said in 2014.  OKaaaay.  I've heard this NOWHERE else!  And she had another expert on who said the nuclear capabilities the WaPo story described could still very well be years off.

Whew, thanks again, Rach.  Feel like I can sleep tonite.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 10

I love Rachel, too, but I just wanted to point out that Ari Melber and his panel on "The Beat" laughed off the bluster as empty posturing, too. I was surprised by that, since as you say the rest of the world is in a full panic.

• Love 4

Didn't see Ari, but that's interesting.  He's probably a better fit to replace Rach when she's on vacay than Joy.

Why is it that Rach covers stories nobody else seems to?  She got from Bloomberg how Manafort & Trump Jr. & the Trump campaign turned over thousands of pages of docs to Senate.  And she got from Politico how Republican staffers went to Christopher Steele's office in London for some unknown reason.  Well, good for Rach that she got the Guardian reporter who revealed these aides were sent by Nunes.  Um, what the what?  OK, so we didn't find anything out specifically on what the deal is here, but thank goodness for Rach being around to ask the right questions -- on all this weird shit that makes no sense.

• Love 8

Oh, good, something new to haunt my nightmares. Now I have to worry about Acoustic Weapons making me go deaf just because some dudes' knickers somewhere are in a twist. Polonium and VX aren't enough? We gotta ruin my one place of respite from all this nonsense -- my music collection?! 

Sigh. Thanks, TRMS.

• Love 2

Rach seemed even more concerned & bothered by that State Department spokeswoman, who was smiling oddly & casually offering up a "word salad" (Rach's description) explanation.  So was I, Rach.  That spokeswoman looked right outta Fox News.  Um, maybe cuz that's where she's from.  Ugh.

• Love 7

Rachel seemed to be saying (in her first segment) that Friday will be a special report on Trump and financing concerns related to the investigation.  Not clear if she is hosting., but apparently not.

Edited by jjj
2 hours ago, jjj said:

Rachel seemed to be saying (in her first segment) that Friday will be a special report on Trump and financing concerns related to the investigation.  Not clear if she is hosting., but apparently not.

Money laundering with Russian Oligarchs. 

• Love 3

Thanks, I thought she said in the first segment it was about Trump and financing -- sounded a little different when she described it at the end of the show. 

5 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Boy, Rach sure is bugged by that State Department spokeswoman.  Me too, Rach.  She sounds like a moron.  Not exactly reassuring, eh?

The State Department spokeswoman used to be a Fox personality. Take that for what it's worth.

• Love 5

On the other hand, the State/Fox person did amuse me when she not-at-all-subtly refused to use the honorific 'Dr' with Gorka's name. Burrrrrrn. Credit where due!

The NK nuke expert let me exhale nicely. I don't even care if she's wrong. I'd just as soon be stress-free if/when nuclear winter hits.

• Love 4

The State Department spokeswoman used to be a Fox personality. Take that for what it's worth.

The people who laugh in the back ground on this show when they just can't hold in, make laugh, it's so funny. And yes, it is hilarious when Rachel points out that that you are the SPOKESWOMAN for the state department, yet you don't want to SPEAK on what's going on in other countries, LOL. This being offended at looking down on others as if they're stupid well, that spokeswoman sounds stupid and she's on the world stage sounding that way. She sounds like a fucking idiot, yet has a very important job. I believe that's why Rachel's eyes look like they are about to pop out of her head in response to this woman and her press conferences.  Be ignorant if you want to, but don't hold powerful important positions with that kind of ignorance. That kind of idiocy deserves to be looked down on and laughed at.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, attica said:

On the other hand, the State/Fox person did amuse me when she not-at-all-subtly refused to use the honorific 'Dr' with Gorka's name. Burrrrrrn. Credit where due!

The NK nuke expert let me exhale nicely. I don't even care if she's wrong. I'd just as soon be stress-free if/when nuclear winter hits.

That expert made me nervous.  She actually corrected Rach.  Rach has been saying the WaPo story may not be such a big deal & the same thing was reported 3 years ago.  The expert countered her & said if NK doesn't now have the capability to miniaturize nukes, they absolutely will soon.  Gulp.

I liked how the expert pointed out what really disturbed her -- that Trump was emphasizing how Americans are safe here, implying the situation isn't too bad.  She noted incredulously about 300 thou Americans in SK & Japan & Trump's apparent lack of concern for them.  Good guest, Rach.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Good guest, Rach.

I was actually disappointed that she wasn't on for longer. She had a lot to say and was in a position to tell us a lot in a rational way. I hope Rachel has her on soon, and earlier in the show, so that she has more time.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

That expert made me nervous.  She actually corrected Rach.  Rach has been saying the WaPo story may not be such a big deal & the same thing was reported 3 years ago.  The expert countered her & said if NK doesn't now have the capability to miniaturize nukes, they absolutely will soon.  Gulp.

I liked how the expert pointed out what really disturbed her -- that Trump was emphasizing how Americans are safe here, implying the situation isn't too bad.  She noted incredulously about 300 thou Americans in SK & Japan & Trump's apparent lack of concern for them.  Good guest, Rach.

And, of course, the people of Guam are American citizens.

• Love 1

I am a happy camper that the Friday show is current -- when Rachel said it would be a "special report", I assumed it would be pre-recorded.  I don't mind a bit that she focused on past Trump finances and "staggering" malfeasance in dealing with NYC -- I welcome it!  Especially as a live show!

Except, in the final minute, her speculation about the potential swapping of secretary positions and the potential of creating that one more vote for the health care bill...just ugh. 

2 hours ago, clb1016 said:

And, of course, the people of Guam are American citizens.

Yes, although Mr. Sessions would just view it as "an island in the Pacific", like Hawaii, with the implication that the island is not part of the USA. (Yes, I know Guam has a different status than the state of Hawaii.) 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

I appreciate the reporting, but it depresses me that this kind of thing goes on and it doesn't really seem to matter at all. It's not even like no one knows about his history of malfeasance, he still got elected and he's still in office and it doesn't seem like it makes any difference. Watching Rachel walk us through it step by step, sometimes I come away more discouraged than I was before.

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I missed the first twenty minutes of Rachel's show (& taped the rest).  How did she open in "Block A"?  If you don't mind.

She started with the story of a Brink's armored car heist in 1984 where the money ended up funneled to white supremacists, and segued that to the current situation in Charlottesville.  She commented on how the truck hijackers covered their faces, while the idiots in Charlottesville were open faced for all the world to see and photograph.  She said some of these people are losing their jobs as a result (although the only story I've read of such is the hot dog place in Berkeley), and then tied it all to 45.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

She started with the story of a Brink's armored car heist in 1984 where the money ended up funneled to white supremacists, and segued that to the current situation in Charlottesville.  She commented on how the truck hijackers covered their faces, while the idiots in Charlottesville were open faced for all the world to see and photograph.  She said some of these people are losing their jobs as a result (although the only story I've read of such is the hot dog place in Berkeley), and then tied it all to 45.

Amazing ... thanks!!!

• Love 1

Also, in the handoff from Joy to Rachel (Joy filled in for Chris Hayes), Rachel said her parents want to adopt Joy, and that Joy will have an ongoing place at future holiday meals.  Joy said she is ready to be a Maddow. 

2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I missed the first twenty minutes of Rachel's show (& taped the rest).  How did she open in "Block A"?  If you don't mind.

Plus, you probably heard later the reason we no longer have the "Cocktail Moment" -- that Rachel does not think we need any more reasons for drinking -- then segued into a segment on [bombs, lack of diplomatic solutions, end of the world as we know it] international affairs.   

• Love 9
8 hours ago, jjj said:

Rachel does not think we need any more reasons for drinking

Come, now. The CM wasn't a reason for drinking, it was a recipe guide for when we've already made the decision! Am I going to have to depend on my liquor store lady for tips?! Rachel's the one that understands me!

Sheesh. I need a drink.

I think I would adopt Joy, too, if only to raid her closet. That blue sparkly thing she wore on MTP and AMJ on Sunday? I think I neeeeeed it.

• Love 8

I was on such a roller coaster watching TMS last night. When she got to the part about pardons, I was so depressed.

I honestly think they don't do cocktails anymore because there's no time to spare and too much to cover with news breaking all day and night including Fridays.

The hand-offs between hosts have become so chummy lately, it makes it even more noticeable that there's no such thing between LOD and BriWi. I still have not forgiven BW for his lying, nor MSNBC for giving him a job that makes that look like it wasn't a career fatal crime for a journalist.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I fell asleep about half way through, can you recap the pardons stuff?

45 wants to pardon Joseph Arpao, the corrupt Sheriff, accused of racial profiling, in Arizona, who lost reelection last November. The U.S. Department of Justice filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.  Rachel concluded that he was testing the waters in regards to issuing pardons for, himself, families, friends and various sycophants. She also said that the  Presidents who preceded him took at least 2 years before issuing pardons in their presidency.  Like everything, associated with him, this would be a first.  She also anticipates that there will be a backlash for this..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 3

Rachel and Lawrence talked about Trump thinking of pardoning Arpaio, and that it was probably practice for bigger pardons.  So Rachel jokingly said, maybe he will do lots and lots of pardons and sneak in a Trump now and then and by that time we won't notice.  It was kind of funny but I hope she didn't give him any ideas.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

45 wants to pardon Joseph Arpao, the corrupt Sheriff, accused of racial profiling, in Arizona, who lost reelection last November. The U.S. Department of Justice filed suit against him for unlawful discriminatory police conduct.  Rachel concluded that he was testing the waters in regards to issuing pardons for, himself, families, friends and various sycophants. She also said that the  Presidents who preceded him took at least 2 years before issuing pardons in their presidency.  Like everything, associated with him, this would be a first.  She also anticipates that there will be a backlash for this..

Ah, thanks.  I saw stuff about Trump possibly pardoning (liking a tweet about pardoning) Arpaio this morning.  I didn't make the connection to what Rachel is talking about.