Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: 2017 Season

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Jeez, Rach, you lost me a few times tonite.  Particularly in the opening.  I was lost, lost, lost.  Might watch again at midnite.  But that's not good.  This stuff is getting so damn overwhelming, it's important you go thru it slowly & carefully & maybe use some of your helpful lists, Rach.

Yes, I had to listen to it again via podcast to understand why she was talking about fuel in the Ukraine.  If the WaPost article had broken 20 minutes earlier, she probably would have skipped the opening.  Because she was covering breaking news articles for several other segments, they probably tossed other segments that had been planned.  Is she here this Friday?  She did not say so -- but her handoff to Lawrence went on for 6 or 7 minutes.  She did not promote a Richard Engle show, though.  So, we will see on Friday.  Nothing I can see on her Twitter account.  But looking at her account, I found:

Guess who has a shiny new Twitter account and 18.4K followers already?  Our favorite new Rachel guest: Walter Shaub, @waltshaub -- starts with his resignation letter, and then this hilarious: "Shaub has left the building.  That's 'Schaub' to my friends at 1600"  -- another White House spelling error.  I think his interview got cut short on Wednesday with Rachel, and I hope she will bring him back to talk about his new job working on ethics in government at the Campaign Legal Center. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, jjj said:

Is she here this Friday?  She did not say so -- but her handoff to Lawrence went on for 6 or 7 minutes.  She did not promote a Richard Engle show, though.  So, we will see on Friday. 

My cable screen guide shows Rachel at 9pm and Lawrence at 10, nothing about Richard Engle.

Okay, Friday's show was just depressing.  Cancelling the Senate hearings with Manafort/Trump Jr,; instead, having an f-ing session in the Senate about the Democrat plots against the Trump administration (if I understood right); and going with a "looser" oversight of the Government Ethics Office, with the bonus of yet another amended disclosure form from Jared.    I appreciated her having two segments with the former Obama administration attorney.  But him saying "I can't imagine" certain things would be tolerated are ringing hollow right now.

Poor Richard Engel, no one even mentioned his planned shows tonight -- he was supposed to have a month of Friday-night shows in July (I double-checked the press release about his show), but I guess this raging river of breaking news is preventing Engel from having his turn in prime time.  MSNBC owes him, though -- he really is in the danger zones with his reporting.  He deserves a turn, even with a limited set of episodes. 

• Love 9

Not just depressing, but scary as hell.  I love ya, Rach, but enough with the dramatics.  The Ethics Office clearly has zilcho power.  So while you made a good point in your signoff, Rach, it's not that big of a deal cuz whatever they do is pretty much meaningless.  I'm much more annoyed & scared by what Rach was saying about how the Senate Repubs are trying to sway the hearings to the message that the "Russia story" is being caused by the Dems.  Jeez Louise!

And Rach seems to be the only one who has pointed out the 2 big reasons she thinks could be behind Trump now "hitting the panic button" -- uh, her way of putting it, which I luv, luv, luv!  OK, her first reason is the probing into his finances (past shady deals with Russians, any questionably huge loans & particularly his taxes).  True, many have already mentioned that one.  But her second reason is one ONLY Rach has said -- that is, the possibility his family could be indicted.  BUT Rach said this means not just Jared, but Ivanka too!  Oh good heavens!  Not sure anyone else has pointed it out the way Rach did -- that if Jared goes down for his omissions in security clearance forms, so does Ivanka, right along with him.  Hmmmmmm, nice going , Rach!

• Love 8

Wow, I had no idea there was a Rachel Maddow Show thread on pretv. Yay!

I swear I hear "breaking news" late late on a Friday and my first thought is crap, Rachel better be on tonight!  Nothing against Engel but, they picked a bad time to they and give him a show.

As for the latest news, the things that scared me the most was the show after Rachel, someone pointed out that the Sessions news could have been a deliberate leak by the White House to try and force Sessions to resign. Basically Trump gives that interview to goad Sesssions into resigning, doesn't work. So now White House leaks this news to once again try and force a resignation (or provide a means to fire Sessions). All of this is designed to get rid of Sessions so Trump can appoint a new AG that will fire Muller.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow, I had no idea there was a Rachel Maddow Show thread on pretv. Yay!

I swear I hear "breaking news" late late on a Friday and my first thought is crap, Rachel better be on tonight!  Nothing against Engel but, they picked a bad time to they and give him a show.

As for the latest news, the things that scared me the most was the show after Rachel, someone pointed out that the Sessions news could have been a deliberate leak by the White House to try and force Sessions to resign. Basically Trump gives that interview to goad Sesssions into resigning, doesn't work. So now White House leaks this news to once again try and force a resignation (or provide a means to fire Sessions). All of this is designed to get rid of Sessions so Trump can appoint a new AG that will fire Muller.

Great times we live in, huh? 

Anyone who throws in with that orange buffoon sooner or later gets kicked to the curb.  Boo-effing-hoo.  *crocodile tears*

Yeah, I wish they hadn't given Rachel's slot to Richard Engel, much as I love him, but it was probably her idea, to get the extra summer time off.  I thought I read recently, though, that it was more of a once a month gig, versus weekly.

There's too much crucial crap going on now; I can't afford to be without RR to explain it all.

• Love 2

Rachel is scaring me tonight. I really do think Trump's play is to wait to the Senate goes into Recess and then fire Session. At which time, he'll use a Recess appointment to intall a new AG, that will fire Mueller and end the Russia investigation.

• Love 4
(edited)

Man, it is only the first segment, and I'm already full of anxiety.  The possibility of a Session recess replacement is awful.  And now Rachel moving right into questions about the FBI director nominee and his links to Christie.   And it is *still* the first segment! 

But, dramatic that she says Senator McCain is planning to return to vote on health care.  I don't know what that means in terms of his vote, but good for him to be back on the floor. 

29 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Rachel is scaring me tonight. I really do think Trump's play is to wait to the Senate goes into Recess and then fire Session. At which time, he'll use a Recess appointment to intall a new AG, that will fire Mueller and end the Russia investigation.

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

I'd rather she stick to what's happening, rather than making skeery predictions.  The stuff on Christopher Wray was a head-scratcher.  He didn't do anything illegal, did he?  I wish she woulda stuck to Jared.  Much more there for her to chomp on.  Maybe tomorrow nite?  Hopefully, hopefully.  I like it when she's all over grinning Jared.  She was chuckling quite a bit tonite -- and never even a mention of the Mooch.  He's given me plenty of giggles already -- and all certainly unintentional of him.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, jjj said:

But, dramatic that she says Senator McCain is planning to return to vote on health care.  I don't know what that means in terms of his vote, but good for him to be back on the floor. 

If he were voting No, he'd stay home. There is nothing whatsoever in his history to suggest he's gonna roll up an psych everybody out with a 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' moment. More's the pity. But hey: I'd like to be proven wrong.

I'm delighted that MSNBC is using last Thursday's toss from Joy to Rachel as a 'this is why you watch' commercial. It's a good clip of a genuinely charming moment. And Joy's necklace is super nice!

• Love 13
(edited)

You know, as I watched Rach last nite continuously (at various & many moments) shaking her head & chuckling with disbelief at the latest lunacy, I was thinking how comforted I am watching her do that.  Yup, that's how it is now, each day brings different craziness.  Today is particularly nuts.  So I'm looking forward to watching Rach once again shake her head & chuckle in disbelief at today's insanity.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 8
14 hours ago, attica said:

If he were voting No, he'd stay home. There is nothing whatsoever in his history to suggest he's gonna roll up an psych everybody out with a 'Mr. Smith Goes to Washington' moment. More's the pity. But hey: I'd like to be proven wrong.

Despite his "Yes" vote on the MTP, I think it was exactly a "Mr Smith" moment.  He certainly said something that the Senators needed to hear.

Congratulations to Rachel on her 2 Emmy nominations, one for the water crisis in Flint, Michigan and he second for her interview with Kellyanne Conway.

• Love 5

Wow, I was actually miffed at the Warren Interview. In fact, I find her increasingly to speak only in not-very-helpful platitudes. "Taking the fight to the streets" isn't actually useful here. The fight is in the Senate, in the hands of 52 specific people. If those individuals are willing to block out the sounds of protesters and the pressure they bring (and if I'm judging by the vote counts, most of them totally are!!!!), all the howling, chanting, and pithy signage isn't, in fact, making a difference. Obamacare will fall, and we'll have our signs to keep us company.  Which is not to say that I think protesters are useless, let me clear. My point is that Liz is pointing her weapons at the sky, not at the actual adversary.  And whenever Rachel tried to guide those missiles, Warren batted her away. 

I do not like feeling this way. I want to love Warren.

• Love 15
(edited)

Transgender service members banned from the military -- shiny object, distraction, look over here, look over here, look over here.  Thank you so much, Rachel, for leading with the Firtash story that could have Paul Manafort teetering on the verge of flipping on his buddy Twitler despite the very real risk of being assassinated by Putin and/or the Russian mafia if he does so.  

During the middle years of the Obama administration, before the reversal of DOMA and DADT, every time there was a big story about gender identity politics, Rachel was all over it, so much so that she became nearly unwatchable.  This is a nice change.  

DOJ: Ex-Manafort Associate Firtash Is Top-Tier Comrade of Russian Mobsters

by TOM WINTER

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/doj-ex-manafort-associate-firtash-top-tier-comrade-russian-mobsters-n786806

Edited by navelgazer
  • Love 5

I like how Rachel sets everything up like a little story. Sometimes I get impatient but, mostly I enjoy how she connects the dots. 

I liked how last night's show was balanced between storylines, she stuck to the money/Russia story she's been doing for awhile. Covered a bit about healthcare and then went into the Transgender in the Military story. I also liked how she went back to that NYT story that they refused to retract. I liked the dots being connected and showing why they refused to back down.

• Love 8
(edited)

Oh, holy cow, the first sixty seconds of Rachel's show tonight, about the New Yorker interview with Scaramucci:  "suggesting that Steve Bannon performs an anatomically difficult yet apparently possible act upon himself," then confessing her lack of familiarity with the details of how it would work. 

Honestly, this guy has a potty mouth like we don't even see in many R-rated films.  And she is right that there are people of dignity (men of dignity) in posts who may just walk away from this debacle. 

And this is the New Yorker article she was citing.  This interview, from the person who wants to fire everyone because of leaks, and what he does is start to leak a whole new array of body fluids from the White House.  They will have to do a cleansing ceremony with burning sage leaves before the next occupant moves in:  http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

ETA at the end of the show: Oh, ew, Rachel and Lawrence talked about how Bannon could perform that anatomical act -- and Lawrence said, nope, not Bannon, he couldn't manage it.  Rachel was grossed out and the camera stayed on her a second longer than she realized.  She uncovered her face (had put a piece of paper over her face) and was just purple with laughter and embarrassment.   This handoff hopefully will be on the repeat, I forgot their shows repeat in order.   (Lawrence needed not to think about the details so much...)

Edited by jjj
  • Love 7

Rachel seems unsure how to interview this Tim Weiner guy.  It's sorta cracking me up.

I suspect she's right about her theory that they're trying to discredit FBI leadership, but man is that dumb.  They haven't learned yet how spectacularly that's going to back fire on them?  How did firing and slandering Comey work out for ya, Trumpie?

• Love 3

I liked how matter of fact Mr. Weiner was, that the FBI can take care of itself.  That's the kind of reassurance I need to hear after a week like this one with the Bill Browder testimony in the Senate about the Magnitsky Act and everything else.  I feel like the more afraid Twitler is, the crazier he'll get, that the rages we hear about will soon be out loud for the entire world to see.  

• Love 3

Well, Rachel is off on Friday -- Richard Engel will report from Moscow.  I know he will be terrific, but hate to miss Rachel before the weekend.

• Love 1

Why does Tim Weiner always refer to Robert Mueller as "Bobby" Mueller?  What's that about?  Of course, David Cay Johnston always refers to Donald Trump as "Donald," never "the president" or "Mr. Trump."  Is it a way of disrespecting them by calling them by their first name or a nickname?  However, Weiner has always seemed to respect Mueller as a person of integrity.

The new Director of Communications is certainly a great communicator, no?  What has America come to, when it's apparent the first thing you have to tell someone who is working in the West Wing is that they shouldn't call their co-worker a c********* in a conversation with a reporter that is ON!!! the record.  

But I took as a positive step the number of conservative Republicans who said "WTF" to Trump's tweets about transgender people serving in the military.  In some ways, we have made progress.  

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, Calvada said:

Why does Tim Weiner always refer to Robert Mueller as "Bobby" Mueller?  What's that about?

From a recent interview Weiner had with The Slate:

You keep saying Bobby Mueller. Do you know him?

I have met and spoken with him. You have to understand that nobody calls him Bobby to his face, OK? Nobody calls Robert Swan Mueller III “Bobby” to his face, but the FBI agents who got to know him and work with him, both when he was at the Department of Justice under Bush 41 and when he was running the FBI under Bush 43 and Obama, referred to him as “Bobby Three Sticks.” Because of the Roman numeral three after his name. There are not a lot of guys named Robert Swan Mueller III who have been in charge of the FBI.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2017/07/what_happens_if_mueller_s_axed_an_interview_with_tim_weiner.html

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5

Rach was cute in her signoff to LOD, saying he already knows that she blushes easily & is clearly squeamish about the kind of vulgar crap Scaramucci was saying.  It's OK that Rach covered his vile rant, but at least she wasn't sidelined by it.  The healthcare vote is way more important.  So I was glad she showed the protesters outside.  Will it make a difference?  It may not now.  But it will in the future.  Keep on your push for the grassroots movement, Rach!  

• Love 6

Hope its OK I comment on Richard Engle's report last night from Russia, in place of Rachel's show.  Richard's story was fascinating, informative and scary!  I worry about Richard's safety...he was talking to a lawyer who was defending a man who was thought to be a double-agent.  And the info about the Kapersky anti-virus program that is used in the U.S.!  All in all, worth watching.

• Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

Richard's story was fascinating, informative and scary!

Yes it was.  For some reason I assumed he was going to be reporting from a war zone, not about the Russia connection.  (Didn't some of the teasers for this series show him in a flak jacket?)  Unfortunately I got a phone call halfway through it and I intended to DVR the rerun, but instead of rerunning Engle, they ran All In instead, which ordinarily they never do.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
19 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yes it was.  For some reason I assumed he was going to be reporting from a war zone, not about the Russia connection.  (Didn't some of the teasers for this series show him in a flak jacket?)  Unfortunately I got a phone call halfway through it and I intended to DVR the rerun, but instead of rerunning Engle, they ran All In instead, which ordinarily they never do.

They don't have the full episodes on msnbc.com, but they do have clips which are the story segments.  The advantage to the clips is that you don't have to login with your cable provider to watch them....

(edited)
7 hours ago, kassygreene said:

They don't have the full episodes on msnbc.com, but they do have clips which are the story segments

Thanks for this! Last time Richard's Russian special was in Rachel's time slot they put it on her audio podcast. Not this week, though.

I def. want to check out the Kapersky story. It weirds me out that they are a sponsor on NPR. 

ETA:

I worry about Richard's safety...he was talking to a lawyer who was defending a man who was thought to be a double-agent.

That was scary! I hope that lawyer is okay, too, and not a future Magnitsky. :-(

I did have to laugh at: "Is President Trump a useful idiot?" "No comment." Nod, nod, nod.

Edited by ahisma
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, car54 said:

Joy Reid announced at the end of her show today she is covering for Rachel Monday night.

Awww, crap ?

Nothing against Joy, i really like her but, I so look forward to Rachel at 9PM.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Why wouldn't Rachel announce she would be off all week?

They don't tend to announce vacation plans.  I didn't know that Chris was going to be off two weeks ago until the subs starting announcing it.  

A number of posts have been removed recently for not following the site policy as explained in this post.

Please stick to discussing the show. This does not include appearances on other media, interviews, or other statements by guests or the hosts. It's about what is discussed on the actual show.

Going forward, posts that do not follow the site guidelines may result in warnings and/or suspensions. Thank you.

Is Joy a good substitute for Rach -- or a disappointing one?  Kinda both.  She ain't Rach.  Nobody is.  Would I have liked to see Rach look straight at the cam & give her classic & awesome eye rolls & head shakes & chuckles at today's news of Mooch?  Hell yeah!!  Joy didn't give us that.  Only Rach can do that.  So we missed that.  Drats!

But don't count Joy out.  She's pretty awesome too.  Just in a different way than Rach.  And she follows Rach in a similar vibe.  I loved how Joy kept pointing out in whatever discussions she had about Russian sanctions, that Trump still has NOT signed off on what Congress overwhelmingly passed.  This is EXACTLY what Rach would do.  So good sub-ing for Rach, Joy!

• Love 6
22 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Why wouldn't Rachel announce she would be off all week?

They never announce in advance that a host will be gone for a week -- and I understand why!  I want to say, what a week for Rachel to be off, but I could say that about any week.  Still -- today's news seemed tailor-made for Rachel's commentary. 

• Love 5

She's not taking a vacay from her Twitter.  I'm wondering if her tweets will give a hint to what Joy will cover.  Russia?  China?  Jared, Jared, Jared?  Well, Joy & Rach think alike & Joy did cover them & surely will again.  Enjoy your vacay, Rach!  Come back strong!  We need to see those head shakes, eye rolls & chuckles again.

The only time I really get perturbed about Rachel being away is when a clip show is used instead of a guest host.  Especially when there is real breaking news (unlike the perennial "Breaking News" banner).   But I'll even take Steve Kornacki over a clip show.  Glad Rachel can get some long weeks to herself!