Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Discussion: 2017 Season

• Start Topic

(edited)

Jared, Jared, Jared, la, la, la, la, Jared, Jared, Jared.  

Oh man, Rach coulda been on her death bed, there was no freakin' way she was gonna miss out on the delish Jared news she's been waiting breathlessly to report on.  Aw Rach, you looked fine & dandy to me, & I do appreciate you shining your big bright spotlight on Jared & continuing (and never stopping) to ask why the hell he met with that former KGB head-dude of a US-sanctioned Russian bank.  But do take care of yourself, Rach!

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 21
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like today's MSNBC crawler saying the new "war room" reflects a "new reality" re Russia. Sorry, White House, but Rach is waaay ahead of you guys and she's gonna stay there.

• Love 3

Jeez Louise, the Jared bombshells just don't stop, eh?  And poor Rach has to sit out commenting on 'em.  Aw, I bet she's busting, wanting so bad to be back on cam.  Nope, get better first, Rach!

Not an Ari Melber fan, but he's doing surprisingly pretty well filling in.  He ain't Rach tho.  Get well ASAP, Rach, we need you!

• Love 4

And it is the "Friday-news-dump-plus-bonus-holiday-dump" -- Rachel must be *really* ill not to be reporting from a sofa on her set.  What a series of stories to break!

1 minute ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Jeez Louise, the Jared bombshells just don't stop, eh?  And poor Rach has to sit out commenting on 'em.  Aw, I bet she's busting, wanting so bad to be back on cam.  Nope, get better first, Rach!

Not an Ari Melber fan, but he's doing surprisingly pretty well filling in.  He ain't Rach tho.  Get well ASAP, Rach, we need you!

Yes, Ari does fine as a fill-in.  (Anyone but Kornacki!  He is all right in small increments but not a whole hour!)

• Love 6

Oh Rachel.  The only reason she didn't drag her behind in last night was she had a couple of hot toddys to cure her cold.   My guess anyway.

We are all going to be alcoholics or locked up in asylums before the end of this administration.

• Love 11

I really wish she would bring back the Cocktail Moment.  But Fridays are real wild card episodes in 2017!  (I wouldn't mind a Cocktail Season.)

On the bright side, Rachel is no longer sending us to prison for the  rest of the night.  Glad MSNBC stepped up its Friday night coverage and reruns.

1 hour ago, Macbeth said:

Oh Rachel.  The only reason she didn't drag her behind in last night was she had a couple of hot toddys to cure her cold.   My guess anyway.

We are all going to be alcoholics or locked up in asylums before the end of this administration.

• Love 6

Does anyone else watch MSNBC online? I can't get the MSNBC website to load properly on Chrome or Firefox. Hoping it will be resolved by tonight. Unless Rachel is out again, in which case this tech concern can be pushed off for another night. 

I give Joy Reid mad props for trying to get through Maddow's trademark, eons-long wind up in the beginning! It was interesting to hear Maddow's schtick in another person's voice, but I was chuckling a little bit throughout because I swore I could hear Joy thinking, "I'm trying, but this is SO not my style..." 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, potatoradio said:

I give Joy Reid mad props for trying to get through Maddow's trademark, eons-long wind up in the beginning! It was interesting to hear Maddow's schtick in another person's voice, but I was chuckling a little bit throughout because I swore I could hear Joy thinking, "I'm trying, but this is SO not my style..." 

I agree.  She sounded breathless and kept making a noise like her mouth was dry.  She did a good job though.

2 hours ago, irisheyes said:

She has got to be deathly ill to miss the covfefe fun.

I agree, and I don't think it's something as simple as a cold.  Friday night, when she said she'd been sick all day, she didn't look or sound sick to me.  No evidence of cough, sore throat, red eyes, sniffles, etc.  Maybe just a beat slow due to being on meds.  So I'm really at a loss trying to diagnose her.

• Love 2

Well, whatever she's got, I hope for my own selfish reasons she isn't out for weeks & weeks.  I love Joy, but she just isn't Rach.  And Ari is certainly capable.  I can't put my finger on why exactly I don't take to him.  I usually agree with his point of view.  But he doesn't especially have the charm or sense of humor to keep me interested on a regular basis.  As a contributor, he's fine.  For a weekend host, I think he's OK too.  But as a nightly replacement for Rach if she's out for weeks & weeks?  Nah, not for me.  I'll probably watch Anderson.

We're getting yet another onslaught of shitty, shitty, shitty Trump news & I gotta tell ya, it makes me nervous & anxious as hell.  Rach's always dependable & consistent awareness of whatever the shitty Trump news of the day is & her always pertinent & smart questions makes me feel a whole lot better.  May sound silly, but it really does.  Joy & Ari can try, but they don't do this for me.  Eh, I'll peak in for a moment to see who the replacement of the nite is, and then it's on to Anderson.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, skittl3862 said:

Does anyone else watch MSNBC online? I can't get the MSNBC website to load properly on Chrome or Firefox. Hoping it will be resolved by tonight. Unless Rachel is out again, in which case this tech concern can be pushed off for another night. 

I sometimes have this problem too and have to wait another day.  But as you can see, Rachel was still out on Wed night.

I don't know that Rachel would really be covering "covfefe" because she has stated in the past, she will follow what trump and his administration "does", not what they "say or tweet."

• Love 1
23 hours ago, potatoradio said:

I was thinking the same thing, that she was channeling Rachel's style, which made me think that perhaps the team had been expecting Rachel to come back to work that night and so had written a monologue in Rachel's style.  And also made me think that's one of the many reasons TPTB use Joy frequently to plug gaps in other people's shows--she is able to approximate somewhat reasonably the tone of the show she's subbing for, so it doesn't feel like a nighttime version of AM Joy.

• Love 3

I also think it sounds like pneumonia.  Rest and antibiotics.  Ari did not make it sound like she will be back on Friday. 

• Love 1

I would be surprised if she's back today because honestly if you've missed Monday through Thursday, you might as well take Friday and come back fresh after the weekend. Granted, I'm not all that passionate about my job.

• Love 12

Oh, I agree it makes total sense to stay away for the last day of the week, and I'm sure it has been hard for her to stay quiet this week.  I'm not saying she is in restraints, but I'm guessing the car keys are in an undisclosed location. 

• Love 2

I saw a small portion when she was describing her seeing a doctor and him telling her to go home. Didn't she say she was on pain medication?  Do they give you pain medication for pneumonia? I've never heard of that and I've known people who have had pneumonia.  

26 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I'm pretty sure she just said she was on medication and didn't specify pain medication.

Correct. 

Woo-hoo, Rachel clawed her way to her cell phone.  Very good to hear her assessment of the investigation.  Good to know she is "going bonkers" not covering all this, and boy, we all do believe that she is glued to MSNBC. 

But she missed a bet when the phone went wonky with someone else dialing in.  "Hello, Vladimir?"  

• Love 9

I figured Rachel had a flu bug, which started with fever/chills/aches and then went to her throat/chest, since she mentioned her voice.  Although something like that they usually tell you to let it run its course, rest, get plenty of liquids, use over the counter stuff for the achiness,  and they don't medicate you unless/until you develop some type of sinus, ear, throat, or upper respiratory infection.  So I wonder what she had, since they put her on medication right at the beginning?  Some type of infection such as strep throat, kidney infection, cellulitis?   

I am glad she is feeling better.  She's been going nonstop for the past several months, so perhaps not surprising she was susceptible to some illness.  Although I also was worried the Russians had done something to her.  My other suspect was Brian Williams.    

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Calvada said:

She's been going nonstop for the past several months, so perhaps not surprising she was susceptible to some illness. 

She's been going non-stop for the past two years. It was a reallllllllllllly long election cycle and now we have - ahem - the current administration.  I don't watch her show every night, but I can't remember the last time she took a week off.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jjj said:

Woo-hoo, Rachel clawed her way to her cell phone

I was really hoping they were going to cut to a live-feed of her sitting in bed, sporting a nice case of bed-head, wearing SpongeBob jammies with a cat in her lap, all the rag magazines spread out on the covers and tea on the bedside table. Alas, all we got was her poor voice and auto-dial. Come back, Rach! Hopefully Monday.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, jjj said:

Oh, I agree it makes total sense to stay away for the last day of the week, and I'm sure it has been hard for her to stay quiet this week.  I'm not saying she is in restraints, but I'm guessing the car keys are in an undisclosed location. 

Oh God - she's got pneumonia that is not something you can easily recover from.  It's not like you can take antibiotics and be back in the saddle in a week.  Listen to your doctor Rachel.  Listen to her/him.

I agree with you JJJ - someone has hid her car keys. 

And if they were merciful, because you really need to sleep Rachel, no devise that gives you any access to news should be allowed near you.  It will only wind you up.  Advice I need to take on occasion.

On the other hand a withdrawal from her life blood, may be more harmful to her than the pneumonia.

58 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

Oh God - she's got pneumonia that is not something you can easily recover from.  It's not like you can take antibiotics and be back in the saddle in a week.  Listen to your doctor Rachel.  Listen to her/him.

I agree with you JJJ - someone has hid her car keys. 

And if they were merciful, because you really need to sleep Rachel, no devise that gives you any access to news should be allowed near you.  It will only wind you up.  Advice I need to take on occasion.

On the other hand a withdrawal from her life blood, may be more harmful to her than the pneumonia.

She has to keep abreast of what is happening.  She can do that from her bed and still get plenty of sleep.  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, wings707 said:

She has to keep abreast of what is happening.  She can do that from her bed and still get plenty of sleep.  

Technically, yes. But is sleep full of nightmares ever particularly restful? :)

• Love 4

Ari said a very Rachel thing.  Instead of listening to what trump and his administration are saying (covfefe, why left Paris accords), look at what they are doing, taking away women's insurance coverage of birth control.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, suomi said:

This prolonged absence has me beginning to think ... "contract (re)negotiations."

I don't think so.  She was obviously sick the last night she appeared.  I imagine she developed pneumonia, and it can take weeks to recover from that.

• Love 5

Maybe Rachel got bronchitis?  I've had it a couple of times and it took six weeks to run it's course.

Although, I think Ari and Joy have done an excellent job, I hope Rachel gets well soon.

• Love 5

Yeah, she was really sick that last night she was on, and she even said that it was only that day's news that got her up and in to the studio.  On her call-in last Thursday (?) she sounded better, but clearly still sick.  I think the end of the month is when she's back.

(edited)

That is such good news -- the way Joy Ann Reid continued to hedge that "Rachel will be back...soon" made me think at least another week.  She clearly was sick that day she came back to break the Jared story and on the phone on Friday.

But if she had missed the Comey hearing coverage on Thursday, I would have been seriously concerned!

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3
(edited)

THANK GOODNESS.  I was starting to really get worried.  I mean, we joke about journalists being at risk, but, I certainly don't seriously consider it.  Right?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I think it's absolutely frightening that Russia has made inroads into hacking out voting system, can take people off voting roles (who needs voter ID laws) and who knows what more they will be able to do.

• Love 5
On 5/25/2017 at 5:33 PM, ButterQueen said:

Maybe she will get to tell the Trump...you're fired/impeached.  LOL 

She certainly is bringing so much important information to light.  She is must see tv.

HA!  I would love that.  After his orangeness was elected I heard Brian Williams voice say that Trump has been arrested (in my head while brushing my teeth, don't laugh!).  Wishful thinking.  But if I were wishful thinking it should have been in her voice.  I am SOOOO bummed she has been out but even more bummed I have to work Thursday.  I really want to watch Comey's testimony.  Let's hope she is back to wrap it all up.

On 5/31/2017 at 6:09 PM, Samwil said:

I hope the Russians haven't been poisoning Rach.

My husband said the same thing!  She has been so on top of things it may make her a target.  

• Love 3