Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Dark Paradise

Wow on the Dylan and Emma baby surprise! Please keep that baby FAR away from White Pine Bay.

Seeing Romero in prison makes me want to get incarcerated. Can this man look bad ever? Police uniform or inmate clothes he's SO gorgeous :)

I think its a pretty safe bet that Romero put a hit out on Norman.

Well, it looks like Norman and "mother" just got rid of another body!

Its official.....Norman is completely out of his mind!

Great episode!!!

• Love 10

Really liked this episode! I'm loving what they decided to do with Norma and Vera Farmiga. It's so, so creepy. I agree with those guessing that Romero tried to get Norman killed. That certainly won't end well for him. Yikes!

As great as it was to see Dylan and Emma happy (with a baby no less!) - I ultimately feel dread. I'm worried that it will somehow end tragically for Dylan. He'll no doubt get dragged back to the White Pine Bay/Norman drama somehow. 

• Love 5

Norman and Mother at the dinner table. So good. "A mentally ill boy and a dead woman." Yep.

Dylan and Emma married with a baby. Wow. With a promotion and friends and a normal life. Please let them make it out alive.

Oh Romero. Plan B?

1 hour ago, Mick Lady said:

I loved it!

Did Alex hire some guy to kill Norman? And how can Dylan not know Norma's dead? Social media was talked about, and hell I know when my friends make a good BM! (Nod to Dean Winchester!)

I can sort of buy Dylan not knowing. He was torn up and resolute enough not to go looking and Emma likely respected that. Emma didn't seem to have many friends in White Pine Bay and was undergoing major life changes when Norma died so might not have been active on SM at the time.

• Love 6

Wait, so Norman Bates had a niece?  What if Dylan and Emma survive Norman... only for their daughter to take after her uncle's more unfortunate genetics... Pscho Part Jr.?

"What's wrong with me? For starters, I'm dead!" Haha, love how Norma is still blunt in the afterworld!

Whats going to happen to David Davidson??

Romeo is hot in sheriff and inmate clothing. 

I almost thought maybe David Davidson is a hallucination, fantasy guest to Norman. Thanks to Mother being around, I'm questioning what exactly is real anymore in Norman's immediate surroundings. What if the store girl doesn't look like Norma in reality, but we are seeing what Norman's brain wants to visualize? Who knows? 

• Love 3

Final season time!

Glad to see Norma being dead hasn't stopped Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore from having some of the best interactions on television right now.  All of the Norman and "Mother's" bickering was hilarious.  Especially Norma's "What's wrong with me?  For starters, I'm dead!" And she is still all nosy about his interactions with women, although to be fair, when the woman catching his eye happens to be married and looks basically like a younger version of herself, it's hard to blame her! 

Once we saw how Norma/Norman killed the guy because he had a gun to him (them?), it occurred to me that he was a hitman hired by Romero to take out Norman, and that was the reason why saw that brief scene of him trying to call someone.  Have a feeling this is far from over.  Even if Romero got denied parole again, this battle has to end with someone bloodied!

Hey, it's Spencer from The Walking Dead!  Totally think he's the husband of the woman Norman has the hots for.  It sounded like whoever he was with was clearly not his wife.  He is so doomed; really, the question is will Norman make what

Spoiler

Negan did to him on TWD, come off like child's play?!

So, Dylan and Emma are not only going strong in Seattle (they seem to have wedding rings on), but they even have the most adorable baby on the planet?  I swear, show, if you harm either one of them, I will be very upset.  Just stay in Seattle, you too!  Not sure what to make of Caleb's return.  I liked his scene with Emma.  I think he truly means well, but things always tend to go south around him, so I don't blame her for wanting him away from her family.

I so can't wait to see how this season plays out.  It's the beginning of the end, folks!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

Wait, so Norman Bates had a niece?  What if Dylan and Emma survive Norman... only for their daughter to take after her uncle's more unfortunate genetics... Pscho Part Jr.?

"What's wrong with me? For starters, I'm dead!" Haha, love how Norma is still blunt in the afterworld!

Romeo is hot in sheriff and inmate clothing. 

I almost thought maybe David Davidson is a hallucination, fantasy guest to Norman. Thanks to Mother being around, I'm questioning what exactly is real anymore in Norman's immediate surroundings. What if the store girl doesn't look like Norma in reality, but we are seeing what Norman's brain wants to visualize? Who knows? 

I was just thinking the very same in terms of what is real. We all know that Norma is dead now. But, if you noticed "mother's" reactions to Norman and Madeleine, it sounds the same as when Norma would react to Norman having a relationship with a girl. So, I am just wondering if who we saw in past seasons was Norma overreacting to Norman having a girlfriend, or was it "mother" even then?

• Love 3

It's the beginning of the end!

The opening scene of Norman and Mother living out some 50s sitcom life was so disturbing. Mother definitely reminds me of season 1 Norma at her worst. In a way, Norma being dead is a blessing in disguise because now we get a whole season of batshit crazy Bad Norma.

The reveal of Norma's frozen corpse was ghastly.

Yep, Norman is too far gone now, although I almost felt a wisp of pity when it was revealed he was still at least keeping track of his blackouts. But yeah, it's too late.

Emma and Dylan have a baby? Oh God, I hope she doesn't wind up an orphan. Stay away, Dylan!

And stay in jail, Alex! If your hitman couldn't kill Norman, you've got no chance in hell.

I love how after five minutes of shock and horror that Mother killed again, Norman just sighed and was all, "Oh well, it's not like we haven't done this before, let's get started" and proceeds to help dump the body. Ha!

Was it Marion that "David" was with? And is he the hardware store lady's husband. If so, then judging from the season preview, I guess this is going to be a new version of Psycho. Can't wait!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7

So my initial reaction is basically BATES MOTEL IS BACK!!!!!!  YEAH!!!!!!

Hm.  Interesting that Norman is keeping a journal and recording when he has blacked out.  I think that has to be something important later.  And that girl in the hardware store not only looked like Norma, she dressed like Norma, very old fashioned and floral.  So I'm really not sure how much of that is truth and how much of that was Norman.  

Romero in the house!  Clearly he has made enough name for himself for other inmates to leave him alone, and he's right about a corrupt cop being denied parole.  Yet he's in a great place to meet someone who might be willing to kill for a bit of scratch--which he still has, thanks to his killing of the rich dude a couple seasons ago.

Dylan and Emma--I love them so much!  I love them so much I want them off the show, so that i know they are safe and happy with their beautiful baby and beautiful life.  They both deserve all they've worked for.  I love Dylan's line about "who knew his calling was beer."  But I know this show may not leave them alone, and I love seeing them, but seeing them makes me think they're in danger, so I'm constantly torn when they're on screen between loving seeing them and wanting them safe and away from White Pine.

Oh, forgot to add that I'm wondering if being dead will prevent Norma from having epic freakouts, like with the sign, or at the drug house, or at anywhere that's the world not bending to her will.  I'm going to miss those if dead Norma doesn't get to do that, but I'm not sure how it will work and make sense knowing that she's in Norman's head.

• Love 5

My big question of the night is how would Norma pulling Norman by the ear look to some watching?  

Watching Vera Farminga play no holds barred Mother is hard to put into words.  Mother is a manifestation of how Norman has always seen his mother so Mother is flirtatious, bitter, protective and murderous often at the same moment.   Of course we are going to see Freak outs but often in different ways.  Probably with a body count now.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Dylan with a baby was ovary melting. A great surprise but nerve racking at the same time. I really hope this show lets them have their HEA.

My one lingering question from last season to this one... Where is Norman's shrink and how did he not put together what really happened?

2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Was it Marion that "David" was with? And is he the hardware store lady's husband. If so, then judging from the season preview, I guess this is going to be a new version of Psycho. Can't wait!

I think so too. "David" is Sam Loomis.  And in the opening of the movie, Sam and Marian are having a nooner at a motel. 

7 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

What if the store girl doesn't look like Norma in reality, but we are seeing what Norman's brain wants to visualize? Who knows? 

That's a good point!  They certainly do have an uncanny resemblance. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 3

Little details hearken back to the movie.   The one that made me smile was Norman in the office after "David" comes in.  Norman is anxious, and grabs a candy corn, sitting in a bowl on the check-in desk.  In the movie, when Marion Crane checks in to the motel, Norman is eating candy corn.  He offers one to Marion.  Very nice little detail, show!

• Love 10

Great start to the season!

I really wish the show had told us how much time elapsed between seasons. Obviously more than a year given Romero has already been up for a parole and Emma had a baby, but still was itching to know the time frame and how many years of crazy Norman has been 'living' on his own. Also, what happened to his psychiatrist? 

The Bates house is in shambles. Looks like Norman can't be bothered to wash a dish or pick up after himself. So when Norman imagines these Leave It to Beaver style elaborate meals prepared by Norma is he sitting there eating air or did he heat up a Hungry Man dinner for himself? I really am just fascinated by his insanity. 

It is called a peephole not a headhole. Why was that peephole in Norman's office is the size of his head? LOL! OMG to him masturbating while watching. Of course he starts to feel guilty and imagines Norma calling to interrupt him watching. 

Emma and Dylan were such a lovely surprise with their beautiful healthy baby and their nice mid-Century modern home. Loved. Them both seeming so happy made me think shit is gonna go left on them sort like the old trope of the retirement age cop with plans for him and his wife to sail around the world in their newly christened boat, "The Live-4-Ever" only to be gunned down 3 days from retirement. I will say that the only thing I found a bit heavy handed about last season is the way Dylan lost contact with his family. Cutting Norma out of his life, moving to Seattle and then changing his number and never having contact with neither Norman nor Norma for seemingly years just seems out of character for him especially given him knowing that Norman was dangerous and recently released from a mental institution. 

I found it a bit hard to unpack the workings of Norman's mind when it comes to whether he thinks/knows his mom is actually dead. He obviously tells people she is dead and even 'Norma' says she is dead but there is an undertone of it having been faked so Norma can be there 100% for Norman.

Isn't it very dangerous for cops in prison? Wouldn't Romero be segregated from gen pop? Regardless glad to see him and can't believe the DEA hemmed him up on perjury charges. 

Look at TWD Spencer.  Took me a minute to figure out where I knew him from. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Baby Button Eyes said:

I'm assuming David Davidson is actually Sam Loomis and the woman he was with Marian Crane.

I forgot about the perjury charge (not a criminal defense lawyer, but I think it's fairly rare for someone to be convicted of perjury). I was calling BS on Alex not covering his tracks enough to avoid criminal charges for anything he did in connection with the drug trade.  However, for purposes of the story it is necessary for him to be in jail so Norman can have free reign of the motel. Stay in jail, Alex!

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

The Bates house is in shambles. Looks like Norman can't be bothered to wash a dish or pick up after himself. So when Norman imagines these Leave It to Beaver style elaborate meals prepared by Norma is he sitting there eating air or did he heat up a Hungry Man dinner for himself? I really am just fascinated by his insanity. 

That's the question I've been begging. It's actually pretty fascinating if you start thinking about Norman's reality versus the imaginative world he's been living in with Norma. For example, the dinner scene in the middle of the episode was Norman sitting in the dark with no food. He didn't take a single bite throughout the whole scene, so it does beg the question on if he ate dinner that night, since he would have had no time to cook up anything himself. He doesn't seem like he's taking care of himself because in his mind, Norma's doing all of the housework so he doesn't have to. It's actually good to see brief glimpses of Norman's actual reality, with the house in disarray, to showcase how far gone Norman is and has been for at least a year. 

As nice as it is to see Emma and Dylan happy with their daughter, it's sad to think about Dylan not knowing about Norma's death and how bad Norman is. He's smart to get away and stay away, but he's going to be devastated once it's revealed, whether it's through Dylan visiting and finding out from the people in the town, or some other way. He's going to feel guilty about not keeping in contact and making sure Norman was alright, and he's going to feel guilty about his last conversation with Norma that can never be taken back. I want them to continue to be happy, but I don't think I'll ever stop worrying. Their daughter may be safe, but Dylan/Emma could both die by the end of the season. Unfortunately, I could see them killing off at least Emma. For now, though, I'm just going to try and remain upbeat about them. 

I didn't mind seeing Caleb. I've never hated the guy and thought that he's at least been trying throughout the series to be there for Dylan, but I think he could easily be a goner sooner rather than later. 

Alex! Dear, poor Alex! Just stay in prison! It's for your own safety! I think he could also be a goner by the end of the series. 

33 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I found it a bit hard to unpack the workings of Norman's mind when it comes to whether he thinks/knows his mom is actually dead. He obviously tells people she is dead and even 'Norma' says she is dead but there is an undertone of it having been faked so Norma can be there 100% for Norman.

In the dinner scene, Norma states that she's dead but then says that she faked her death so she could be there for Norman and protect her. But it's really hard to tell with him also keeping her corpse around and going down to visit it. Norman seems to be somewhat aware of his situation; he can acknowledge that his mother's dead, and he told the Norma Lookalike that the house is a bit of a mess, but his mind is still pretty far gone so it's hard to tell if he's consciously aware of these things. I also wonder when he's having conversations with Norma/Mother, is he actually saying the words aloud or is it more like he's having the conversation in his head? 

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

I really wish the show had told us how much time elapsed between seasons. 

Kerry Ehrin said in an interview on tvline.com that 18 months have passed

It is called a peephole not a headhole. Why was that peephole in Norman's office is the size of his head? 

There's at least two walls between the rooms, so from Norman's office side it's head-sized so he can get close enough to look through the small peephole in the room side.

in the deepest part of his mind Norman knows his mother is dead.  The part where he can only access in the moments where he is not really there but neither is Mother.  That moment where he couldn't sleep but wasn't awake either.  Neither were in control.  That moment he searched out Norma.  Not "Mother" not the illusion but the comfort of the real....dead Norma.  

Norman knows Norma is dead but that knowledge is buried so deep inside of him.  He chose the illusion and I think he did it because it kept at least some semblance of normalcy.  

• Love 9

It's actually good to see brief glimpses of Norman's actual reality, with the house in disarray, to showcase how far gone Norman is and has been for at least a year

This. I think it's really important to see the contrast between what's in Norman's head and what is the true reality of the situation. This show's writing and cinematography is first rate.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I didn't mind seeing Caleb. I've never hated the guy and thought that he's at least been trying throughout the series to be there for Dylan, but I think he could easily be a goner sooner rather than later. 

I thought Caleb will be the bridge to Dylan finding out about his mom. Either Caleb will go seek Norma out and tell Dylan or somehow Dylan will go looking for Caleb with Norma and find out.  I just have a feeling the show runners know that the fandom will revolt if Dylan and Emma don't get a happy ending. 

Excellent opener to what looks to be a tragic but excellent final season. 

• Love 2

Showrunner Kerry Ehrin interview about this season. It answers some of the questions discussed in this threat but may also contain spoilers. (You've been warned). What I found most disturbing about this article is Ehrin's response about Sam Loomis reveals she did not pay very close attention to the opening scenes of the original movie. 

http://tvline.com/2017/02/20/bates-motel-recap-season-5-episode-1-norma-frozen-premiere/

• Love 1

Also, what happened to his psychiatrist? 

He's now the unnecessary new profiler on "Criminal Minds"  <wink>.  Damon Gupton, we need you back on Bates Motel!

The mini-arc with Caleb was confusing.  I'll have to re-watch, but if Dylan moved to Seattle and changed his phone, how did Caleb find him?  And what purpose did he serve here - just to show up uninvited, stay for a bit, and then be asked to leave by Emma?  It has to come back at some point this season, but it didn't make much sense last night.

1 hour ago, lynnea6 said:

I forgot about the perjury charge (not a criminal defense lawyer, but I think it's fairly rare for someone to be convicted of perjury). I was calling BS on Alex not covering his tracks enough to avoid criminal charges for anything he did in connection with the drug trade.  However, for purposes of the story it is necessary for him to be in jail so Norman can have free reign of the motel. Stay in jail, Alex!

Romero's perjury charge was not even in relation to drug trafficking. He lied to DEA agents about his relationship with the banker. He said he barely knew her and only interacted because he had accounts at her institution, when in fact they had been friends with benefits for a time. I think maximum for perjury is 5 years and if this was actually federally prosecuted I don't even think he would be eligible for parole as I don't believe that parole is an option on the federal level. 

27 minutes ago, Lostinthehouse said:

And what purpose did he serve here - just to show up uninvited, stay for a bit, and then be asked to leave by Emma?  It has to come back at some point this season, but it didn't make much sense last night.

It's the first episode of the season, the first chapter in the book, it's building the foundation of the plot.  It doesn't have to make sense now, but it should (and I trust will) later on.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lostinthehouse said:

He's now the unnecessary new profiler on "Criminal Minds"  <wink>.  Damon Gupton, we need you back on Bates Motel!

The mini-arc with Caleb was confusing.  I'll have to re-watch, but if Dylan moved to Seattle and changed his phone, how did Caleb find him?  And what purpose did he serve here - just to show up uninvited, stay for a bit, and then be asked to leave by Emma?  It has to come back at some point this season, but it didn't make much sense last night.

Through Emma's Facebook page.

Caleb saying how happy Norma must be about the baby and then his reaction to news of the estrangement makes me think the purpose was to get him to head back to White Pine Bay. That might be how Dylan finds out about Norma. Or maybe Caleb gets killed and that brings Dylan back. I've thought Caleb was a dead man walking since his encounter with Mother.

Edited by Evie
  • Love 7

Great premier! I will really miss this show when its gone, but I think this is a good time to end the show, hopefully on a high note. So far, this seems like a really promising, if very strange and tragic, final season.

Something about the old time music, Norman and Norma and their dead double act, and the contrast between the house has Norman imagines it, and the broken down house in disarray that actually exists is just super unnerving. Its an old school kind of scare too. No blood or sex or jump scares (side eyes at you, American Horror Story), just good performances, a creepy atmosphere, and great sets and cinematography. Which makes sense, being the TV remake of a classic horror film, possibly THE classic horror film.

Norman has officially gone off the deep end, to the point where I have no idea if anything he's seeing is actually real. I believe he really is going into town, and they do get guests in the hotel, but, like, with the women at the store, does she really look and dress like a young Norma, or is she actually completely different looking?

Awww Dylan and Emma are married and happy and have an adorable baby! Please don't let things go bad! However, I am very worried that they will go VERY bad by the end of the show. Dylan and Emma have been living with the proverbial sword over their heads for a long time (or you would think they would have been mentioned in the movies at some point, at least in the sequels), and now it just seems inevitable. I guess you could just say no one heard of them because they've cut themselves off from Norman and Norma, but that doesn't really work from a story perspective. Dylan is going to feel awful when he finds out what's happened since they left. His mom is dead, murdered by his brother, who has totally lost his mind.

• Love 5

Dylan and Emma have been living with the proverbial sword over their heads for a long time (or you would think they would have been mentioned in the movies at some point, at least in the sequels)

They are just products if artistic license. They were not in the book. Ed Gein did have a brother (who died under mysterious circumstances) but he never married.

• Love 3

I am glad at least to see Norman is keeping track of his blackouts. Then I got annoyed with Norma because she waited in getting him help for them. Things could have turned out the same but the thing is we will never truly know. 

I am happy to see Emma and Dylan are doing well. I am worried but more for Dylan then Emma.  Norma liked Emma and I remember in S2 Norman saying to Cody "Telling Emma something is like telling my mother" so that might give her a pass

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Evie said:

Caleb saying how happy Norma must be about the baby and then his reaction to news of the estrangement makes me think the purpose was to get him to head back to White Pine Bay. That might be how Dylan finds out about Norma. Or maybe Caleb gets killed and that brings Dylan back. I've thought Caleb was a dead man walking since his encounter with Mother.

I predict that Caleb might be killed by Norman, just because I also agree that I feel like Caleb's always had an expiry date on the show. I always thought he would be killed, but I just didn't think it would take this long. 

I do believe that Caleb will definitely be arriving in White Pine Bay in the next couple of episodes to check up on Norma. Knowing that 18 months have passed and none of them have been in contact for this long, I can't imagine Caleb as someone who wouldn't see how his sister's doing. He's already suspicious of Norman anyway, so once he finds out Norma's dead (whether through Norman telling him or him finding out by finding the corpse), he's not going to have a lot of time to inform Dylan and Emma before he's most likely killed. 

1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

I am happy to see Emma and Dylan are doing well. I am worried but more for Dylan then Emma.  Norma liked Emma and I remember in S2 Norman saying to Cody "Telling Emma something is like telling my mother" so that might give her a pass

Same here. I have a feeling that one of them will get killed for sure, but I think it's up in the air on whether it's Dylan or Emma. Or both, because I could see that happening in the last episode of the series. I do find myself leaning toward Dylan being killed, and Emma fleeing with the baby. Which really sucks because right now, Dylan is the safest he can be with him ceasing contact with his family but him being dragged back in, whether it's Caleb's death, finding out about Norma, or both, is just going to secure his fate the moment he steps back into town.

Or, they could completely surprise me, have Dylan/Emma/Baby survive by the end and they leave for good. Because, as Mother says, it's only her and Norman. Dylan isn't even factored in. 

• Love 5

I also find it odd that so much time has passed (apparently 18 months) and Dylan still has had no contact with Norman and has no idea Norma is dead.  Does he even know what became of Romero?  He knew that he and Norma were married, right?  I too think Caleb will be the one to figure out something is off at Bates Motel and will call it to Dylan’s attention.  I don’t think Caleb is long for this world, and I’m very worried for Dylan as well.   

• Love 1

i am not sure I found Dylan  and Emma not contacting Norma and Norman as weird aaa some.  It's possible and even probable that when Emma got pregnant they decided to start over and not go back.  Maybe one or the other contacted Norman who gave a vague reply about Norma getting back to them but honestly I don't think either had any real Earle to bring up bad memories. 

10 hours ago, Lostinthehouse said:

Little details hearken back to the movie.   The one that made me smile was Norman in the office after "David" comes in.  Norman is anxious, and grabs a candy corn, sitting in a bowl on the check-in desk.  In the movie, when Marion Crane checks in to the motel, Norman is eating candy corn.  He offers one to Marion.  Very nice little detail, show!

No, Norman offers the candy corn to Arborgast. the P.I.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, islandgal140 said:

Romero's perjury charge was not even in relation to drug trafficking. He lied to DEA agents about his relationship with the banker. He said he barely knew her and only interacted because he had accounts at her institution, when in fact they had been friends with benefits for a time. I think maximum for perjury is 5 years and if this was actually federally prosecuted I don't even think he would be eligible for parole as I don't believe that parole is an option on the federal level. 

Federal parole is 100% a real thing.

Ghost Norma is even scarier than real Norma.

That looked like an Eichler home Dylan and Emma are living in.  The first house I lived in was an Eichler, so very cool.

If not for the fact that he's psycho, Norman makes the perfect guy to have an affair with.  He comes with his own motel room.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, gingerhorsesnaps said:

It's so, so creepy. I agree with those guessing that Romero tried to get Norman killed. That certainly won't end well for him. Yikes!

I was, as I'm sure most were, to see Norman basically bonkers this season. They certainly delivered on that. So the end reveal about Romero was unexpected for me and fantastic.

20 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

It sounded like whoever he was with was clearly not his wife.  

I figured it might be Crane, but it's too early for her to appear if they plan to end at the movie. 

The Emma/Caleb conversation didn’t work for me.  Dylan will have to live a lie with his daughter whether Caleb is in the picture or not.  Yeah, probably easier if he is not around, but it doesn’t change the facts.  While it is true that Caleb being around might raise questions, he can’t just pass off some random story about her grandfather without telling a lie. I do love Emma though for putting the hammer down without getting Dylan to have to make an impossible decision. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I predict that Caleb might be killed by Norman, just because I also agree that I feel like Caleb's always had an expiry date on the show. I always thought he would be killed, but I just didn't think it would take this long. 

I do believe that Caleb will definitely be arriving in White Pine Bay in the next couple of episodes to check up on Norma. Knowing that 18 months have passed and none of them have been in contact for this long, I can't imagine Caleb as someone who wouldn't see how his sister's doing. He's already suspicious of Norman anyway, so once he finds out Norma's dead (whether through Norman telling him or him finding out by finding the corpse), he's not going to have a lot of time to inform Dylan and Emma before he's most likely killed. 

Same here. I have a feeling that one of them will get killed for sure, but I think it's up in the air on whether it's Dylan or Emma. Or both, because I could see that happening in the last episode of the series. I do find myself leaning toward Dylan being killed, and Emma fleeing with the baby. Which really sucks because right now, Dylan is the safest he can be with him ceasing contact with his family but him being dragged back in, whether it's Caleb's death, finding out about Norma, or both, is just going to secure his fate the moment he steps back into town.

Or, they could completely surprise me, have Dylan/Emma/Baby survive by the end and they leave for good. Because, as Mother says, it's only her and Norman. Dylan isn't even factored in. 

I feel like Emma survives because of the baby and because of theme - you may recall that Romero's cell had, in addition to a picture of himself and Norma, a picture of what appeared to be himself as a tot in arms with his own mother.  Thus, I feel like if there's any spot of non-bleakness handed out by the series this season (not always a sure thing), I think someone gets the promise of growing up semi-successfully with a sane mother, and breaking the cycle; and the baby is the most likely candidate thereof.  

I waffled as to who goes back to White Pine Bay, but I think it would be logical if Caleb goes there and then Dylan follows tracking him down, because I don't think there would be much point of having Dylan interacting with the Bates "family" only by long-distance, especially when he's made it clear he's currently interacting zero with the Bates portion of the family.  (Clearly it's likely if Dylan goes Emma and the baby go too, but I kept mentally shrieking "NO, you don't let Daddy-Uncle Incest touch your wee girl baby!" through the entirety of the scene with Caleb; thus I'm not likely to enjoy Baby Kate in proximity to murderous Norman either, and thus will be hoping D&E share their scenes this season by phone.)

You know, it's sad that Norma will never get to see that baby. I think it would fix all the crazy stuff between her and Dylan. Grandkids have a magic to them. She would have to open up her world to other people and Norman could no longer be the center of it.

• Love 4

Like everyone, I'm so worried for Dylan and Emma. They are so sparkly and sweet and beautiful, in their pretty new house with their pretty new surprise baby, and I am so afraid for them all. I do  find it weird that they still have no idea about Norma, since Emma's FB is mentioned, and she theoretically would have SOME contact with SOMEone from back home, even if she hated it and had few friends there. Where is her dad now? Did I forget a plot point, did  he die? if not, even if he's there with Emma and Dylan,  wouldn't he have some contact with someone back in White Pine Bay? That one slightly stretches too much credulity for me, but weird shit happens.

Spencer! I hated Spencer, and I'm gonna go out on a limb that I hate "David Davidson"/Sam Loomis too, given his adulterous proclivities, but he IS handsome. I'm also pretty sure that's Rhianna with him, so carefully obscured from view, unless he has a bevy of on-the-side-babes. Madelyn is pretty, she looks like Elizabeth Olson. And Norma.

Poor dead Norma. She still cracks me up. This season is going to be kind of heartbreaking, I think.

• Love 2

Lots of thoughts after seeing the first episode of the new season. I guess my first one is that I was disappointed that they did not open the episode with explaining how Norman got Dr. Edwards off his back. They were doing therapy 3 times a week, and Dr. Edwards in a deleted scene from 4x10 said he wanted to see Norman every day after finding out Norma died (thinking she was the one who committed suicide and wanted to take Norman with her). Was he able to just fool him by coming off as normal, like he's doing with everyone else in town? I'd have liked to see an opening scene like that, and then have them cut to two years later and start that timeline with the Norma/Norman breakfast scene.

There's been speculation that "Mother" will get more bitter towards Norman as the season goes on, but I think "Mother's" attitude will variate from sweet/loving, murderous or bitter depending on the situation. We saw in this episode her trying to make Norman feel bad because he planned on spending time with Madeline, bringing up how she "has to take care of and protect" him and how she gave up her life for him. Then later she "pulled him by the ear" up the stairs and showed him the dead body in the basement freezer, telling him that guy came to the motel to shoot him, so he went into a blackout and she killed him.

It's good to see that Dylan and Emma are doing well in their lives, and now have a baby daughter. But with Emma telling Caleb he had to leave (Caleb's a prime example of how an ugly past can brand you for life), I'm assuming he's gonna show up at the motel where Chick or Norman will attack him.

Overall, a good start to the season and I feel it's gonna get better with each episode.