Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The Big Day

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Absolom said:

This is the second Jinger wedding episode so it's going to be lower than the first showing of her wedding.

The first Jinger's Wedding episode had 1.84 million viewers, and aired on November 15.

Couldn't get over the amount of time and money that went into "THE V" especially when Jeremy said that the main point of the wedding was sharing how their love was similar to God's love. Seems to me the main point at least of the ep was the V and the time, work, and money that went into it. Also, the preponderance of glowing comments on everyone's looks as if physical appearances were all that mattered. Aren't they supposed to be Christians who aren't concerned with "worldly" stuff like looks and decorations? Seems like looks are all they really care about with only minor mentions of their faith for a minute here or there. We obviously don't know what ended up on the cutting room floor and what wasn't recorded but most of the shows focus on how worldly and un-Christian these people are at least imo. I lost count of how many times Jinger said she "couldn't believe" this was happening. We can only guess as to specifically is so "unbelievable" and why is it so unbelievable to Jinger.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, Absolom said:

As I said the first round was higher.

Still, much lower than the other two. Jessa's was obviously higher, because even heathens want to see pretty fundies. We'd already seen pictures and knew she was a pretty bride. Jill? The first, so there was interest, and by the time TLC got around to airing it, we already knew she was knocked up. Jinger? Professional. A pic released almost immediately since they only had 10 days to build interest. The rush to air may well have hurt them, but it was SWEEPS. They had no choice but to air it then.  

I posted about this over in the Media topic but thought I'd add it here too. An online bit of clickbait discussing the weak ratings of Counting On vs the ratings that 19K&C pulled in its heyday: https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/02/jinger-duggar-is-she-causing-a-counting-on-ratings-plunge/

BTW, there's a photo of Jinger, Jessa, and Jill on that page. It's not flattering to Jill, who looks closer to 40 than 30. The other two look great. 

• Love 1

There really is nowhere for the show to go but down.  The wedding of the first daughter was something new, but now it's getting very been there and done that.  TLC doesn't help themselves either with the repetitive dress shopping, let's taste cake, etc episodes. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, Absolom said:

There really is nowhere for the show to go but down.  The wedding of the first daughter was something new, but now it's getting very been there and done that.  TLC doesn't help themselves either with the repetitive dress shopping, let's taste cake, etc episodes. 

Or showing the wedding twice. All the really did during the ceremony was dub their vows. The rest of it was all fluff, other than Jessa showing Michelle levels of emotion. 

• Love 1

I agree it's kind of mean to say Jinger and Jeremy is the least magnetic and interesting thus why.  It's the storylines that aren't magnetic and interesting, being the same dang microwaved footage of stuff that happened the first time around.  Granted I do think people might have found a season more interesting if the Duggars relaxed their hold enough to send Jinger off to NYC to do some realio, trulio intership brokered by TLC, etc. or similar, instead of watching her do same-old, same-old "gittin' hitched"; but clearly she's popular.  She's the one who had a whole fringe website named after her.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Exactly. If anything, Jeremy and Jinger are the most likeable out of the three couples. The ratings plunge has nothing to do with them personally, it's happening because watching this mess is like Groundhog Day. The same shit happens over and over and over. The producers are too lazy to think of new content so they just rehash the same storylines: wedding planning, courtship rules, flashbacks to courtships/weddings etc. The other problem is 90% of their cast is too boring to sustain a weekly, one-hour show. The Littles and the Mkids have all but disappeared, and the older horde blends together in one unappealing lump of bland. Nancy is trying to go the Cousin Oliver route with Flame, but even that shtick gets old because he's a one-note character. So instead we're treated to forty-five minutes of "If Jinger were a cheese, which cheese would she be?". 

Slow clapping for this ^^^^. Nailed it! 

• Love 9

Why couldn't the roses have been shipped to where they were needed? I can understand going to Cindy's for the other stuff that was on her property, but the whole roses thing was ridiculous. Beautiful roses, though.

ALSO I know it was discussed after the first wedding episode, but it's astounding to me how close Jinger and her mother are not. Jinger seems to have zero feelings for her. Not even disdain. It was really noticeable when they were walking into the airport, as well as at the wedding, pinning party, etc. For all of JimBoob's faults, he does seem to love his children. I could see closeness there. 

Edited by MischaMouse
apostrophe!
  • Love 14

Joe chewed gum during the wedding ceremony.

Jinger winked at Jeremy as she recited her lines while slipping his ring on.  I actually backtracked and rewatched it.  She has an eye twitch.  I saw it a couple times during the ceremony.

Did I see Teri Maxwell hug Michelle?

Josie and Michael were so cute together!

The punk haired Come Thou Fount singer was awesome!

I was surprised to see Johanna at the bachelorette party. She is the first Lost Girl to enter the realm of adult sisterhood.

Jinger's smile said "cheeese" all during the wedding.

Jana and Anna have stolen Jinger's orange spray tan bottle.  I hate that look.

The whole handover of Jinger from JB to Jeremy was really, really awful.

Jeremy's brother wore high water pants for the wedding.

Michelle's every utterance hurt my ears.

Cindy was really loving the camera.

Edited by louannems
  • Love 6

Oh gosh @GeeGolly, I would love that show too, but seems to me they wouldn't want to reveal anything that personal.  It would have the potential of getting way too much into their lives and might expose some things they thought they didn't want exposed, except we see way too much now to give us the creeps.  Or it would be too much effort.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, trose said:

Couldn't get over the amount of time and money that went into "THE V" especially when Jeremy said that the main point of the wedding was sharing how their love was similar to God's love. 

Well, if you look at it a certain way -- and it might be Jeremy's way, I think, if only unconsciously -- then maybe the BIG FOCUS on HIS NAME does exactly reflect their vision of God's love for mankind, which the marriage is supposed to symbolize. 

God = V. (Jer). 

Mankind = Jinge. Because 1) Mankind/Jinge is: made out of nothing by God (headship Jer, who picked out a total blank slate meek virgin so he can have complete charge of shaping her into whatever he wants);                2) forbidden to use own brain to decide what to do but must always follow God's (headship Jer's) whims instead;             3) completely unworthy of God's (headship Jer's) love so must spend inordinate amount of time gazing up at God (headship Jer) in gobsmacked adoration;             4) can be saved from hell (Duggardom and eternal life in the TTH girls' dorm room) only by God (headship Jer) not by own efforts ever ever ever. 

So, really, the whole "marriage = God's relation to mankind" is about God (headship Jer, aka V, which sounds like the name of some kind of Holy Roman Emperor from a BBC series) and not at all about mankind (Jinge) since mankind/Jinge is, literally, nothing without God (headship Jer). And mankind/Jinge had better never forget it.       V, indeed. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

To keep this going TLC has to be less lazy on all fronts including story lines and timing. If the show is going to be a Wedding Story and a Baby Story then make it that and do it real time. No one wants to see Henry's birth when he is 6 months old or a wedding after the bride has already announced she is pregnant with their honeymoon baby. And they need to stop with the fake drama of everything being done up to the 11th hour or running on Duggar time.

IMO TLC ruins every show by turning it into filming of events and trips. They did this with Kate plus 8, 19 Kids and Counting and The Little Couple.  

Why not follow Jessa, Jill and Jinger around for a week or two and put together a show of how different or the same their lives are now. Do they all live on schedules like the TTH used to? Are they up late and sleep late? Does one couple go to bed by 10 and are up by 6? Do Jill and Jessa parent like each other and like Michelle used to? Whose the messiest? How different are their husbands? Has Jill found out after years of Jessa being the organizer/packer that she actually is better at it? Who turned out to be the best cook? Who eats at restaurants the most? Who eats the healthiest? Who goes to church? Who spends the most time with their in-laws? ...

And what do Jana, Joy and the boys actually do all day for real? Do they roll out of bed at 10am? Are their days planned in advance? Does anyone besides JD have a scheduled everyday job? Does Jana or Joy have to get up and prepare breakfast every morning and get the young ones started on their school day?

I think you're describing almost a documentary, though, not a "reality show," aren't you?

And I'm sure that

a) the Duggars have made quite clear that they don't plan to reveal a bunch of details of their lives because then they would lose control big time and might have things suggested to them for use or just put out there (depending on the contract language, which the network would have to spend a huge amount of time and lawyer hours fighting over before they could even start such a show) without their being able to censor their images and

b) filming all that stuff and having production staff comb through it to actually create unique and interesting story lines and documentary-type features means using a ton more resources for the network -- they would need way way more than a rudimentary staff and that staff would have to work a lot longer and harder.

And the network certainly doesn't want to pay for that. The ability to not pay is a big reason why they do these "reality" shows in the first place.

Plus, I think it's probably pretty well proven that, while people say they're interested in seeing those details, whether many really are interested long term isn't as clear; hence the small number of actual documentaries that you ever see -- while it is clear that you can at least pull in a smallish but kinda adequate number of female viewers simply by announcing stuff like "baby news!"  "Courtship!"    "Wedding dress!" ..... 

This is line-of-least-resistance programming for the network. And, really, it's all the Duggars would allow, in any case. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Absolom said:

This seems to be the TLC formula.  They did the same thing on sister wives.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, toodles said:

That staring at the headship with adoration thing?  It's the way my dog stares at me when I'm eating.  Cute with dogs, not so much with people.

Jinger has the dopiest headship gaze of all the married/courting Duggettes. Even dopier than Michelle's?

@Churchhoney, loved your sermon, Churchie. Preach it, Sistah!

You can bet the only "V" that Jeremy had on his mind was getting into the minge of Jinge.

e7d9386f8f8e4dc94974ce43f787e0ad.gif

Drag queen Ginger Minj doing the eye roll.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 11
On 2/20/2017 at 10:00 PM, Chicklet said:

I think Jing and Babe are the only two who were really in love with each other (compared to the other couples), but who knows,  and those kisses sure looked practiced. Hm.

meeeeee too!  You cant tell me a girl who has never kissed before it going to stop as she walks back down the aisle and initiate a spontaneous kiss in front of everyone. Not to mention every time they greeted each other they were thiiissssssss close to giving a 'hello' peck.

On 2/20/2017 at 11:15 PM, mzskyhawk00 said:

I only saw the no license plate from the back.  Blank where it should go. Didn't notice if it had a drive out tag or not.  

To me it looked like the license plate was blurred out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think you're describing almost a documentary, though, not a "reality show," aren't you?

And I'm sure that

a) the Duggars have made quite clear that they don't plan to reveal a bunch of details of their lives because then they would lose control big time and might have things suggested to them for use or just put out there (depending on the contract language, which the network would have to spend a huge amount of time and lawyer hours fighting over before they could even start such a show) without their being able to censor their images and

b) filming all that stuff and having production staff comb through it to actually create unique and interesting story lines and documentary-type features means using a ton more resources for the network -- they would need way way more than a rudimentary staff and that staff would have to work a lot longer and harder.

And the network certainly doesn't want to pay for that. The ability to not pay is a big reason why they do these "reality" shows in the first place.

Plus, I think it's probably pretty well proven that, while people say they're interested in seeing those details, whether many really are interested long term isn't as clear; hence the small number of actual documentaries that you ever see -- while it is clear that you can at least pull in a smallish but kinda adequate number of female viewers simply by announcing stuff like "baby news!"  "Courtship!"    "Wedding dress!" ..... 

This is line-of-least-resistance programming for the network. And, really, it's all the Duggars would allow, in any case. 

Nah, I'm describing the original Kids and Counting and Jon & Kate Plus Eight.  They hung around the house for a few days each week then complied shows from the footage. The only difference here is in the girls' case it would be merging 3 families' footage together.

• Love 5

Jinger and Jeremy are actually kinda interesting.  At least Jeremy has something to talk about.

Producers are so stupid. Should've gotten the full wedding done way back when they showed the original and then stopped with the wedding stuff. Show Jinger meeting her new neighbors or church people.  What her jobs are at Jeremy's church...there are a few story lines right there.

The boys?  Do they DO anything?

Anna could have a good story line but they avoid it.   Not sure why.  Jim Bob has said OVER and OVER that their show is a ministry.  They should really be using this unfortunate real life experience to minister to others.  hmmm...can't imagine why they aren't ministering. 

Jill and Derick are boring except if you want to analyze mental health issues.  I kinda like trying to figure out Derelict! 

I personally don't mind Jessa that much but I know a lot of people hate her.  I think she is at least a bit interesting with her mean girl  attitude. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
48 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Nah, I'm describing the original Kids and Counting and Jon & Kate Plus Eight.  They hung around the house for a few days each week then complied shows from the footage. The only difference here is in the girls' case it would be merging 3 families' footage together.

This is where my never watching any of these shows, including this one, shows! .....

I still say that compiling means that they needed a bigger and harder-working group of film editors, though. To show an "event," all you have to do is corral them into one place and ask them stupid questions about that one event -- and, voila, you've got a show. Otherwise, you need to film for a few days and have somebody actually think about the editing. I'm sure that's why they do it as all "events" now.  No question that it's cheaper, seems to me.  TLC is trying to save every dime on a show this old and with ratings that sag to this agree.

Amazing that they ever went into the kind of detail you're describing.... It certainly didn't make the clips that I've seen online of the old shows. .... All this comparison between characters, and who's like this and who's like that, and enough footage to actually show the nature of their parenting? People who've watched from the beginning must actually know something about the different Duggars -- or is there actually not anything to know?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

I didn't watch.  Love all the comments though.

I heard Jim Boob say "Michelle & I's" one time.  I have NEVER heard anyone say that, don't care how uneducated you are.  I live in PA Dutch country, where everybody says "I seen it" but that doesn't make me cringe as much as this one.

Putting this here because it's the current topic, and I wanted to share.  At Walmart yesterday, I saw the new People with the Seewalds on the cover.  Have to say, it was a nice picture, kids are cute.  So while I waited in a long line, and because I was annoyed that my frozen veggies were thawing, I read a magazine for free.  No way was I going to buy it.  The story inside about the new baby was what you would expect.  What made me laugh, though, was Jessa saying that she just loves watching her boys reach different milestones.  Now Spurgie, I can understand.  But what "milestones" does a 4-day-old baby reach?  Did he roll over?  Cut a tooth?  Sleep through the night?  Jessa, WTH are you talking about? 

Lucky Jessa.  Now she has three little boys.

• Love 9

I'm curious why we weren't introduced to the bridesmaids. They just get mentioned in a group as "my bridesmaids." It would've been nice to hear less from Jessa and something, anything from them. 

Edited by MischaMouse
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, MischaMouse said:

I'm curious why we weren't introduced to the bridesmaids. They just get mentioned in a group as "my bridesmaid." It would've been nice to hear less from Jessa and something, anything from them. 

I know, they didn't even mention who the other girls were or describe their relationship to Jinger. It's funny because the things that people want to see, such as the unidentified bridesmaids and the spread of food they had at the reception, aren't featured at all, but they have no problem showing us the same talking heads on a continuous loop and the family waxing poetic about how they can't believe another sister is getting married. 

• Love 9
12 hours ago, SmallTownMom said:

I heard Jim Boob say "Michelle & I's" one time.  I have NEVER heard anyone say that, don't care how uneducated you are.  I live in PA Dutch country, where everybody says "I seen it" but that doesn't make me cringe as much as this one.

Clearly you have never watched The Bachelor/Bachelorette (another super-klassy reality show with absolutely nothing staged or set up!). They're all about the "[contestant] and I's relationship has really gone to a deeper level" and "I really sense a spark between [contestant] and I." 

13 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

I'm curious why we weren't introduced to the bridesmaids. They just get mentioned in a group as "my bridesmaids." It would've been nice to hear less from Jessa and something, anything from them. 

I'd guess it was an additional slight pennypinching move. They probably would have had to spend a little more energy getting those women to sign a longer contract if they'd actually interviewed them for the show. A few minutes of lawyer time costs a few bucks. Setting up and carrying out extra interviews with people who aren't old hands at the show costs a few additional bucks in production, sound and camera people time. 

I just look at everything people are saying about what is and isn't included in these shows and what I keep seeing is TLC murmuring over and over -- Do this as cheaply as possible. Save a penny here. Save a penny there. And why wouldn't they? 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
On 2/22/2017 at 9:48 PM, Absolom said:

The only thing that I see wrong with this post is that if Jana were to begin courting, marry & whatnot, the ratings would be out the roof, IMO. 

• Love 5

If Boob was smart he'd find a top notch guy for Jana. She's a fan favorite and nobody wants to see her with a loser like Derick or Bin. If Jana could land a Tebow-like guy, it would be a ratings boon. Not only because viewers would be thrilled, but because watching Jessa and Jill pretend to be happy for her would keep us neck deep in snark for a year. 

• Love 17

I would enjoy seeing the older boys in a relationship - John David, Joe etc.  When one of the younger boys was courting, they hardly mentioned it, let alone show anything.  Then the next thing you know, they broke up.

At least on the Bates when Nathan was in a relationship with the young lady from New York, we got to see a lot of their dynamics.  It was interesting in one way because the Bates aren't as straight-laced as the Duggers.  Their kids are allow to really "hug" the folks they're courting, and even hold hands by golly!  When the relationship didn't work out because the young 'uns realized that Nathan wouldn't be happy in the city and she wouldn't be happy as a country girl, it was refreshing to see how REAL people react.  Nathan breaking down and being loved on by his parents really touched me.  His pain was so real.  Yet, these kids were both adult enough to know that what they felt for each other wouldn't last if they were miserable in other areas of their life.

I think I heard John David say he was never going to get married.  I really don't know what's up with these Dugger men.  And I also don't know why TLC seems reluctant to show the Dugger men in a relationship.  They showed Josh and Anna to the point I was sick of them - LOL!

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Evagirl said:

I would enjoy seeing the older boys in a relationship - John David, Joe etc.  When one of the younger boys was courting, they hardly mentioned it, let alone show anything.  Then the next thing you know, they broke up.

At least on the Bates when Nathan was in a relationship with the young lady from New York, we got to see a lot of their dynamics.  It was interesting in one way because the Bates aren't as straight-laced as the Duggers.  Their kids are allow to really "hug" the folks they're courting, and even hold hands by golly!  When the relationship didn't work out because the young 'uns realized that Nathan wouldn't be happy in the city and she wouldn't be happy as a country girl, it was refreshing to see how REAL people react.  Nathan breaking down and being loved on by his parents really touched me.  His pain was so real.  Yet, these kids were both adult enough to know that what they felt for each other wouldn't last if they were miserable in other areas of their life.

I think I heard John David say he was never going to get married.  I really don't know what's up with these Dugger men.  And I also don't know why TLC seems reluctant to show the Dugger men in a relationship.  They showed Josh and Anna to the point I was sick of them - LOL!

I wonder if the Duggar boys don't want to get strapped down with a bunch of kids of their own.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Mya said:

I wonder if the Duggar boys don't want to get strapped down with a bunch of kids of their own.

They'd have to find a woman they both want to be with AND who will agree to be filmed. I know I wouldn't. 

• Love 2
On February 23, 2017 at 7:22 AM, lookeyloo said:

Oh gosh @GeeGolly, I would love that show too, but seems to me they wouldn't want to reveal anything that personal.  It would have the potential of getting way too much into their lives and might expose some things they thought they didn't want exposed, except we see way too much now to give us the creeps.  Or it would be too much effort.

I would love it too. They wouldn't have to get terribly personal, and I know they would fake it up quite a bit. But it could still be interesting. I would enjoy it. Now I pretty much never watch, just read here. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, MischaMouse said:

They'd have to find a woman they both want to be with AND who will agree to be filmed. I know I wouldn't. 

That could be it.  But Anna seemed to really like being on camera.  She even allowed the cameras to records the birth of her babies. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

The only thing that I see wrong with this post is that if Jana were to begin courting, marry & whatnot, the ratings would be out the roof, IMO. 

As long as the lovely Jana doesn't get stuck having to settle for Fundy barrel scrapings like that skeevy little creep Tabitha had to settle for.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Maybe there is no interest in the fundy community for the Duggar men.  They might find them as creepy as we do.

• Love 3