Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I wasn't impressed with the 1st episode but there's something about this show (possibly my fascination with anything vaguely culty) that keeps me watching. Plus Kyle and Megan have good chemistry and I like Megan's agent Leslie and Terence's wife DeAnn (not to mention how fascinating Terence and DeAnn's relationship seems).

What I'm hoping someone can help me figure out is what the heck was going on with that "therapist" this episode? Since I have little to no expectation that there will be any follow up on this on the show I know I'll have to figure it out myself.

1st we get the scene with her seducing him during a therapy session (which made me laugh out loud it was so badly written and acted in my opinion) and the only other follow up we get is Terence cancelling her contract (how many arrangements do they have with Kyle and women anyway?) and her talking about how it wouldn't be that easy because she'd spent "every night with his hands on me" and then Terence wanting his goon to get her into the institute for..... what exactly?

I think there are several options but none of them make any sense to me. What do you guys think?

• Is there a time jump between sex/audition/new contract with Megan that I missed that makes the every night comment make sense when it previously looked like (to me anyway) that the therapy session was the beginning of whatever they had going on?
  • Was the therapy seduction just a role play for her and Kyle?
  • Was it just a badly plotted C Story to show how stage managed Kyle's relationships are and how dark IHM can be?
  • Am I thinking too much about a C Story that likely just was filler for the first episode?

It's probably number 4 but it's bugging me more than any other ridiculous thing that happened this episode and I have to know dangit!

I'd be interested to find out what they're doing to her at the institute now that she's making waves but like I said, probably no follow up is coming on that one.

Edited by SanLynn

My take is that the Institute leader's wife picked and orchestrated Kyle picking Megan. She obviously set up that groupie Annika to sleep with Nick and break up Nick and Megan right when Megan was getting that audition so she'd be vulnerable. Terrance has no idea. He doesn't like Megan swooping in on Kyle and probably thinks all of these relationships are distracting him from the Institute. The wife (I can't remember her name) is more like PR for Kyle's acting career and also as a positive image for the Institute. Things didn't work out with the last contracted marriage, so Kyle and the wife just want to swoop in with a new one. The wife just contractually to keep up Kyle's image; Kyle actually seems taken with Megan.

i get that the creators/producers don't want to be sued by anyone and so they have to say it's not inspired by Tom, Katie, and Scientology. But, come on! The actors they cast even LOOK like them--Kyle/Tom (short in stature with intense eyes) and Megan/Katie (square, clefted chin), but even Elizabeth looks a bit like Nicole Kidman (statuesque strawberry blonde)!

• Love 1
On 3/15/2017 at 0:59 PM, SanLynn said:

1st we get the scene with her seducing him during a therapy session (which made me laugh out loud it was so badly written and acted in my opinion) and the only other follow up we get is Terence cancelling her contract (how many arrangements do they have with Kyle and women anyway?) and her talking about how it wouldn't be that easy because she'd spent "every night with his hands on me" and then Terence wanting his goon to get her into the institute for..... what exactly?

They are two different blondes. One is the therapist and the other is Megan's ex-boyfriend's baby momma. She was the one trying to get into the institute for whatever reasons and talking to DeAnn about the contract.