Type keyword(s) to search

The GoT Effect: Once Great Shows That Got So Bad They Sent You Into A Rage Spiral

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

ABC is owned by Disney. They were never going to do anything but the Disney versions of the fairy tales.

Or stuff that was public domain, i.e. Wizard of Oz.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I never saw her as mad until the final half of the final season where the show started telling us she was mad. Before that, she was at times arrogant and misguided, but I never bought the bullshit narrative of her being mad.

I think they could have had a great story if they had done more to show Dany struggling with the "madness" that ran in her family. I think they think they told that story but what I saw was Dany gets sold into slavery, ends up relating more with the "savages" that captured her but is single minded in her determination to fulfill what she believes is her destiny on the Iron Throne. She gets side tracked liberating the oppressed and might actually turn into a good ruler and one Westros really needs and then the writers realized they'd run out of time so BAM she screws her nephew and tries to burn everything to the ground so they can justify her ending. 

I bet Martin told them what her ending was going to be and they were all "Oh, shit, that's not the way we were headed" and had to course correct during the last season. 

It just feels like they were telling one story, about how she can, with the right people around her and a goal to focus on, avoid going down the same path as the rest of her family only to backslide and become exactly what was expected of her (in show, I'm sure all the characters expected her to be exactly how she turned out while some of us viewers would rather have seen a more hopeful ending. Guess I forgot what show I was watching lol)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I have no problem if they ended with Dany going crazy. I just felt they could have done a better job showing us and by making more of a long term arc, instead of something that just happened in the last season.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

ABC is owned by Disney. They were never going to do anything but the Disney versions of the fairy tales.

Of the morning shows, my mom only watches GMA and the only local news she watches is our ABC affiliate.  It's become a running joke in our family that "Disney is the parent company of ABC."  They use that disclaimer a lot.  My mom will say something like, "The news gave your Spider-Man movie a good review.  But of course, 'Disney is the parent company of ABC.'"

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 12/19/2021 at 3:35 PM, Hiyo said:

I have no problem if they ended with Dany going crazy. I just felt they could have done a better job showing us and by making more of a long term arc, instead of something that just happened in the last season.

But they did.  She crucified all the nobles in that one city (Meera?), w/o trial and later realized that not all were bad.  She freed all the slaves, w/o thinking abt the consequences of how it affected the elderly who were left to fend for themselves.  She locked her maid and the guy she was engaged to in the empty vault to starve to death - a slow, lingering, cruel death.  She could’ve just put them down or turned the, over to the other elders for punishment.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

And we’re really going to pretend she was the only character on that show that brutally punished anyone that crossed her? I seem to remember a few of the Starks doing just that.

Yeah, but the brutal murder of Missandei tipped her over the edge of crazy.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2021 at 10:58 PM, Hiyo said:

Again, to me, that doesn't signify she was crazy, she just was someone who made bad decisions.

I agree. No offense to that poster, but you could make a list of monstrous deeds just as bad or worse for almost any character on GoT. None of these made me think she was "mad" anymore than Sansa feeding Ramsay to dogs instead of executing him more humanely made her "mad" or Arya making Frey eat his own family made her "mad." Most of these moments are ones where I cheered the characters on, tbh. On a show as dystopian as that one, you could use any minor thing for any character to deflect criticism for why you didn't properly build them up to a heelturn moment; I don't think there would've been this many viewers who reacted the way they did if it had been well-developed since theories that Danaerys going dark could be the way the books might end had been out in the ether for years. The show just failed in the execution.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Danaerys wasn’t crazy to me.  She was ruthless.   That ruthlessness was something multiple characters had in them.  My sympathies with her actions depended on who she was exerting her ruthlessness on. She didn’t want to rule Westeros because she was an altruistic hero wanting to save people from the evil Lannisters.  Dany felt entitled to rule due to her birthright and  it wouldn’t have mattered who was on the throne. That’s why the revelation about Jon was so damaging because it rocked the foundation of her justification to rule. There was a path to making her a villain without it seeming forced.  Unfortunately, the writers rushed things and poorly wrote the execution. 

• Love 9
Just now, Luckylyn said:

Danaerys wasn’t crazy to me.  She was ruthless.   That ruthlessness was something multiple characters had in them.  My sympathies with her actions depended on who she was exerting her ruthlessness on. She didn’t want to rule Westeros because she was an altruistic hero wanting to save people from the evil Lannisters.  Dany felt entitled to rule due to her birthright and  it wouldn’t have mattered who was on the throne. That’s why the revelation about Jon was so damaging because it rocked the foundation of her justification to rule. There was a path to making her a villain without it seeming forced.  Unfortunately, the writers rushed things and poorly wrote the execution. 

Her ruthlessness never extended to randomly murdering innocent people, including children. That was a line she made clear she’d never cross, which was another factor in why the finale felt so wrong to me.

And yeah, the execution was poor, because it ruined so many other characters to get there, specifically turning Tyrion into a waffling moron who suddenly wants to save Cersei and is consequently outsmarted by her at every turn. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Her ruthlessness never extended to randomly murdering innocent people, including children. That was a line she made clear she’d never cross, which was another factor in why the finale felt so wrong to me.

Yes she did.  She scorched the whole population of Kings Landing.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

@Haleth I was referring to everything Dany did BEFORE the garbage final season. 

Dany crucified people to use them as street signs. She was savage, and the descent to madness was was telegraphed starting season 2/3. But a savage, mad, brutal, tiny, blonde, white girl didn’t fit with the narrative people wanted. Her madness and Jon killing her followed a clear progression from at least season 3 on.

It’s the Bran nonsense that sucked.

• Love 7

Dany crucified people to use them as street signs. She was savage, and the descent to madness was was telegraphed starting season 2/3.

It wasn't telegraphed well enough then. Again, being savage isn't a sign of madness. Especially not in the world of GOT.

But a savage, mad, brutal, tiny, blonde, white girl didn’t fit with the narrative people wanted.

What does her being blonde and white have to do with her story arc?

Her madness and Jon killing her followed a clear progression from at least season 3 on.

Still not seeing it.

let’s just all agree that the final season of Game of Thrones sucked

Agreed.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, Hiyo said:

It wasn't telegraphed well enough then. Again, being savage isn't a sign of madness. Especially not in the world of GOT.

What does her being blonde and white have to do with her story arc?

Still not seeing it.

Agreed.

I can appreciate that some people didn't see it, and my point is that a tiny, blonde, pretty, white girl who got savior style scenes created a narrative blindspot for many viewers. However, considering in S4, there was a large contingent of fans saying, "Dany's gonna go full Aerys," I believe it was well-telegraphed. 

Back on topic, the ending of Dexter was so bad that I haven't watched the new Dexter. I don't think I can handle another lumberjacking. 

• Love 2

Dany being ruthless was telegraphed but calling her mad is what bugged me.  She made brutal choices and could be unforgiving of her enemies going back to season 1.  I just don’t see her as insane.  Someone can do monstrous things and be sane.   She does not have to be crazy to be the bad guy.  I can see her as a villain with a better execution.  There was a path to making her villainy come off as more organic but the writing rushed it.  I can buy Dany doing horrible acts because it helps her reach her goal but murdering innocent people people after she already won was odd to me.   Dany’s brutality usually forwarded her goals or punished people she thought did wrong. Burning Cersei would made sense but going after the civilians seemed random.  Now if Cersei refused to surrender and used civilians as human shields for protection and Dany killed them to win the war then that would have been more believable.  But to kill after the surrender did not make strategic sense to me.  So much about the last two seasons was more about rushing to certain plot points being prioritized over organic character development and logical story progression.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

my point is that a tiny, blonde, pretty, white girl who got savior style scenes created a narrative blindspot for many viewers

No, that had nothing to do with it. Certainly not for many viewers.

Dany being ruthless was telegraphed but calling her mad is what bugged me.

Same here.

But to kill after the surrender did not make strategic sense to me.  So much about the last two seasons was more about rushing to certain plot points being prioritized over organic character development and logical story progression.

In her case, I felt like it wasn't rushed over the last 2 seasons but more like the last half of the final season.

I have no issue with her having a heel turn or going crazy, it was just executed really badly and not planned well at all.

• Love 8

I wasn't sure about watching Young Sheldon because I really had enjoyed Big Bang Theory and could not see how they could create a family sitcom based on little Sheldon that would be appealing - I mean Sheldon as a character is hilarious to me but exhausting if you had to deal with him all the time.  Ok, I was wrong.  The first few years of Young Sheldon were a lot of fun to watch. 

So I shifted my worry to how they could reconcile this nice family with the dark turn that faced the Cooper family if they stuck to the established canon from BBT.  Well, as most worry is, that was wasted.  What I should have been worrying about was how long they could go before they descended into cartoonish storylines that are working hard to destroy my affection for this family. 

I don't think I'll be watching going forward.  Which means I don't need to worry about watching the family cope with adultery and death now.  So there's that.

Edited by SusannahM
  • Love 3

I didn't watch during its original run, but recently thought I'd give Madam Secretary a try on Netflix.  Holy shit.  I enjoyed the first season, but by the end of the second (where I've thrown in the towel), I risked stroking out each episode.

The show went from being about the title character to her husband in such sexist and ridiculous ways I made myself keep watching as the second season progressed, in morbid fascination of what they'd come up with for him next.  My gods, in one episode, he - an ethics and religion professor they'd already turned spy handler who saves the globe from WWIII - is recruited by the president as essential to a top-secret task force in charge of finding and capturing/killing the most dangerous terrorist in the entire world and the writers actually, in all earnestness, had the president declare "your fitness for this assignment is unmatched".  Really?  Among the thousands of people who've been doing counter-terrorism work for more than five minutes, there's no one better qualified than this guy?

In a Mister Secretary show, about Henry the Secretary of State, no one would have ever given a moment's actual thought to turning Elizabeth the professor into The Most Interesting Woman in the World and handing 50+ percent of the airtime over to her heroic exploits saving humanity from global destruction. 

• Applause 3
  • Useful 3
  • LOL 2
59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't watch during its original run, but recently thought I'd give Madam Secretary a try on Netflix.  Holy shit.  I enjoyed the first season, but by the end of the second (where I've thrown in the towel), I risked stroking out each episode.

The show went from being about the title character to her husband in such sexist and ridiculous ways I made myself keep watching as the second season progressed, in morbid fascination of what they'd come up with for him next.  My gods, in one episode, he - an ethics and religion professor they'd already turned spy handler who saves the globe from WWIII - is recruited by the president as essential to a top-secret task force in charge of finding and capturing/killing the most dangerous terrorist in the entire world and the writers actually, in all earnestness, had the president declare "your fitness for this assignment is unmatched".  Really?  Among the thousands of people who've been doing counter-terrorism work for more than five minutes, there's no one better qualified than this guy?

In a Mister Secretary show, about Henry the Secretary of State, no one would have ever given a moment's actual thought to turning Elizabeth the professor into The Most Interesting Woman in the World and handing 50+ percent of the airtime over to her heroic exploits saving humanity from global destruction. 

YES!!!! I used to watch it with my grandparents because it was on before The Good Wife. I liked the early episodes just fine, but somewhere along the way they decided Henry had to be some action hero who saves the day every week, and even by network TV standards, it was so dumb. My grandparents and I finally started gleefully taking bets on when Henry would strap himself into a plane that episode to save the world. 

And you are totally right that they would never have written the wife that way if Henry were the main character. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, Zella said:

And you are totally right that they would never have written the wife that way if Henry were the main character. 

It was really disappointing, because they had a (mostly) realistically great marriage and he was a (mostly) realistically great character who was secure in his own accomplishments and respect so not bothered by being perceived by the establishment as the man behind the woman (or even outright described in one publication as "arm candy" along with a bunch of women dismissed as DC trophy wives) -- being an equal at home, and being well established in his own professional niche, not to mention proud of her, he rolled with his wife being more powerful and more famous for this period of their marriage.

He was already better developed than many wife characters in similar shows about men.  Their conversations where his esoteric study of ethics butted heads with the pragmatic considerations her job demanded were interesting, and natural (and they were usually both part right and part wrong, given how the world works), so he wasn't merely The Husband; he had traits and value beyond being an appendage to her.  But then they started shoehorning him in, and by the end of season two he was outlandishly positioned as a weekly savior of humanity with unlimited and unparalleled skills, given extensive screen time, sometimes appearing more often separate from her than she did from him. 

Sexist tripe, and quite disappointing in a show that had real promise.

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

I only watched Madam Secretary by 'osmosis' (someone else in my household watched it), but yes, I did think it was kinda weird that they'd have the husband be into all that spy stuff. Because as mentioned:

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

He was already better developed than many wife characters in similar shows about men. 

• Love 3
On 10/8/2022 at 5:55 PM, Bastet said:

That's what ruined the show for me. I finally had to quit. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Sorry if brought up but how the ultimate jump the shark moment: where Fonzie actually does jump the sharks

Happy Days was a good show the 1st couple seasons but Fonzie got too big 

Yeah, that's when it all went downhill.

• Like 2
On 1/2/2022 at 11:22 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Dany may not have actually killed innocent people before then but she most certainly threatened to do so.  She stood at the gates of Qarth and threatened to burn it to the ground when her dragons were grown if the leaders of the city didn't let her little band in.  That was season 2.  She also threatened to do the same to Astapor, Yunkai and Volantis when she returned to Meereen at the end of season 6, despite a large portion of the populations of all three cities being the slaves she'd previously freed who were unlikely to have been in charge of their armies.

There were hints of the potential for her ruthlessness to bend into instability from early on if one was paying attention.  So I don't think that development was rushed at all.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:13 PM, BlackberryJam said:

However, considering in S4, there was a large contingent of fans saying, "Dany's gonna go full Aerys," I believe it was well-telegraphed. 

Exactly.  Hell, there were moments in season 1 where I didn't think she was entirely sane.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Like 5

I’m pretty sure I’d rather watch paint dry than watch any S20-24 episode of SVU. The main cast just isn’t as interesting as characters like Cragen and Munch, Carisi as an ADA is no Barba or even Peter Stone (and I like Carisi fine) and there’s no…spark. Just feels very formulaic and dull. I enjoy older episodes in syndication but I can’t believe this is still on. 

Also, apparently Olivia and Elliot are not going to make any progress on their relationship whatsoever even though he’s been back for two years. I ship them but…either get them together or don’t at this point. The will they won’t they is so tired. 

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

I’m pretty sure I’d rather watch paint dry than watch any S20-24 episode of SVU. The main cast just isn’t as interesting as characters like Cragen and Munch, Carisi as an ADA is no Barba or even Peter Stone (and I like Carisi fine) and there’s no…spark. Just feels very formulaic and dull. I enjoy older episodes in syndication but I can’t believe this is still on. 

Also, apparently Olivia and Elliot are not going to make any progress on their relationship whatsoever even though he’s been back for two years. I ship them but…either get them together or don’t at this point. The will they won’t they is so tired. 

I can't stand Stabler so I hope he and Olivia don't get together. I liked Rollins and her partnership with Fin. I think SVU improved when Stabler left.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

Also, apparently Olivia and Elliot are not going to make any progress on their relationship whatsoever even though he’s been back for two years.

Good. I never saw any attraction from either of them toward each other when the show was good-and it was only shippers clamoring and asserting they wanted each other because the actors had chemistry. Elliot was happily married for the first half decade. It was always Kathy for him. But of course they had to kill her to make way for them to "FINALLY" be together. YUCK.

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Good. I never saw any attraction from either of them toward each other when the show was good-and it was only shippers clamoring and asserting they wanted each other because the actors had chemistry. Elliot was happily married for the first half decade. It was always Kathy for him. But of course they had to kill her to make way for them to "FINALLY" be together. YUCK.

I don’t mind Elliot being back but the show needs to stay away from relationship nonsense and stick to detective and court stories. It’s not a soap opera, it’s a police procedural.

• Like 11
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I blame the stupid shippers and their inability to get an life.

And apparently St Olivia STILL isn’t over him leaving SVU and ghosting her for years. JFC, Liv, he shot a teenage girl! Just because you can easily bounce back from ruining people’s lives doesn’t mean everyone else can!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
On 1/27/2023 at 11:03 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

One of the reasons I loved watching SVU in the early seasons was I needed a break from shipping and there was none of that with SVU.  I remember wanting to discuss the episodes back in the TWOP days only to discover the thread was filled with nothing but posts about how Benson and Alex Cabot belonged together which I didn’t get any more than I get Benson/Stabler shipping.  

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
42 minutes ago, BlueSkies said:

Family Matters: The whole thing where Steve started his transformation chamber bit it went downhill 

I’d argue that it was when the rocket scientists that were the writers decided to have Steve and Laura end up together.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
49 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’d argue that it was when the rocket scientists that were the writers decided to have Steve and Laura end up together.

It's been a long long time since I watched that show but wasn't that toward the last few episodes?  

Myself I recall the quality of the show went down with Stefan 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, partofme said:

One of the reasons I loved watching SVU in the early seasons was I needed a break from shipping and there was none of that with SVU.  I remember wanting to discuss the episodes back in the TWOP days only to discover the thread was filled with nothing but posts about how Benson and Alex Cabot belonged together which I didn’t get any more than I get Benson/Stabler shipping.  

Oh GOD, YES! Agree 1000%!!! And it annoyed the every last nerve I had when USA would have the marathons and the voiceover would hype it as the “Benson/Stabler” unrequited or whatever the fuck it was. I remember when it premiered that I loved their partnership because neither had the hots for the other. And Elliott had a very hot sex/love life with Kathy, his WIFE. Then the show caved to the network and shippers and I stopped watching after Meloni left. Not even Munch or Cragen  could keep me watching. Then there’s my RED HOT RAGE that the Mothership* was cancelled just when it recovered from the asshat failure of Cassady, for LOLAAAAA, and this is STILL on the fucking air!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Angry Looney Tunes GIF

*The revival SUCKS MONKEY BALLS! And Eid is the WORST thing to happen to it. Far as I’m concerned, Mothership ended in 2010.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 8
6 hours ago, partofme said:

Exactly!

• Like 4

Burn Notice

A lot of the criticism of the final season focuses on the season's darker tone and more serialized storytelling. For me, that wasn't the issue. I actually welcomed the change because, while I very much enjoyed the more lighthearted fare and fun in the earlier seasons, I wanted to see a more serious version of the show. My problem with the final season was with the story and the execution of it.   

My understanding is that the writers wanted the final season to be more about Michael vs. Michael instead of Michael and the gang vs. [insert enemy here]. So, in order to achieve that, Michael needed to be physically and emotionally isolated from his friends and family. The problem is, the show couldn't fully commit to this conceit because the other characters/actors still needed to be a part of the season and, due to budgetary reasons, the show had to be filmed in Miami. So, while the show is telling us that Michael is all alone, we're watching something completely opposite to that--not only is he back home, but he has Sam, Jesse, and his mom there for him.

Another consequence of this conceit was breaking up Michael and Fiona since, I guess, the audience wouldn't buy Michael "losing himself" if he had Fiona to go home to every night. Fine. But in order to achieve this, the show ruined its lead female character by making her irrational and angry, which left a bad taste in my mouth. 

Then, after a season of grittiness and angst and darkness, the show tried to go back somewhat to its roots in the final episode. But it just felt rushed and unearned.

Edited by Hava
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
On 12/19/2022 at 12:50 PM, proserpina65 said:

Dany may not have actually killed innocent people before then but she most certainly threatened to do so.  She stood at the gates of Qarth and threatened to burn it to the ground when her dragons were grown if the leaders of the city didn't let her little band in.  That was season 2.  She also threatened to do the same to Astapor, Yunkai and Volantis when she returned to Meereen at the end of season 6, despite a large portion of the populations of all three cities being the slaves she'd previously freed who were unlikely to have been in charge of their armies.

There were hints of the potential for her ruthlessness to bend into instability from early on if one was paying attention.  So I don't think that development was rushed at all.

Exactly.  Hell, there were moments in season 1 where I didn't think she was entirely sane.

I have always felt, shows and books both, that the Targaryens had a bond with the dragons because they were, more or less, predisposed to think like a dragon. That actually bonding with the dragons intensified this and that when cornered they would act like crazy-cruel people. Essentially, whatever Dany’s better nature was, she became the dragon. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 12/19/2022 at 9:50 AM, proserpina65 said:

"Everywhere she goes, evil men die and we cheer her for it. And she grows more powerful and more sure that she is good and right." Tyrion Lannister

I think if they had expanded more on that, it wouldn't have seemed so random. Tyrion's position was not only that Daenerys was insane, but that she was insane and that she was praised for her insanity, her ruthlessness in destroying those she saw as evil. Even if it was a slow capitulation to madness, it's not like most of the people around her didn't know what she was doing, and either because of their fears of her dragons or the human armies she commanded, no one moved to stop her. I recently saw a clip on Twitter where Jamie was readying his soldiers because they heard whooping and hollering coming over the ridge, mounted riders approaching, and then Dany flew in on Dracarys' back and suddenly it was a barbecue for her soldiers to mop up the survivors. It's not like no one knew what she was capable of, but instead of studying on how she was initially seen as heroic (or at least not a lunatic) we get this in the end:

299526874_1875290779469299_8300696048847884204_n.thumb.jpg.91797dba6adcf08434bc277cfa7ad457.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

I already talked about ER here but I was watching On the Beach the other night, which is the episode where Mark dies, and I’m ultimately not sure if I want to keep watching. I have seen the whole series before so I know what comes next…Romano vs. helicopters (twice), the arrival of characters who aren’t that interesting or are just plain annoying (Sam, Neela, Gates, and so on), more Abby family and alcoholism drama and her toxic relationship with Luka, and more OTT nonsense I can’t write out here or I’d be here all day. I skipped a couple episodes of S8 as it is but planned on skipping a lot more now that I’m coming up on S9. 

I could honestly either just go to S15 when all the original cast makes cameos or start over and stop all future rewatches once Mark dies. 

• Like 2
On 1/28/2023 at 12:56 PM, partofme said:

I honestly didn't know until Stabler's return, it was a "ship". As you mentioned the show never did that, they barely focused on relationships. I will be upset if they killed Kathy just to pander to a ship. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1