Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Just Your Normal Average American Town

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, topanga said:

Wow. I’m a huge King fan, but I always avoided this one because of its size. You are compelling me to read The Stand. Edited or unedited version

I would go with edited, personally ... I mean, at 1500 pages or whatever EDITED it's still very complete. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's an "easy read" in that the voice in it is so conversational ... for me, it never gets boring or bogged down. Maybe if you're on a vacation and have plenty of time, amble through and "enjoy" it ... for me, it's King at his character-creation/development best! (You'll also recognize a few names and characters that pop up in later books and stories, since it's one of his earliest). 

I'm finally going to get to dig in on Castle Rock tonight (been out of town and then really sick while catching up with work ... expect to finish the latter by this afternoon and then just do a CR marathon until I'm caught up with whatever is on Hulu! Just hoping my precious Andre Holland survives the season intact!)

ETA: Since I've been reading this thread (so I will be "spoiled" but that's fine with me), I wanted to add that I also thought of Green Mile re: the "magic touch" as well as "Dead Zone."

Edited by PamelaMaeSnap
  • Love 3

I've tried to remember the questions I've had while watching. Certainly references about material I haven't read or watched.

The "it floats, Georgie" seen in the opening credits. Obviously significant. What is it referencing? I've also seen "they all float" which I assume is from the same book or show/movie.

When the new warden walks into her office for the first time,  Zalewski is there and mentions that block F has been closed since the fire of '87. Is the fire a reference? Or was that just a plot point for the show?

Also in that same scene when one of the guards is ushering her into the office, he's spewing trivia at her and mentions how they've lost four wardens at Shawshank..."You can still see the bullet hole where Warden..." and gets cut off. Obviously that was Warden Samuel Norton. Are the other three wardens mentioned anywhere?

When Henry is riffling through one of the drawers in Dale Lacy’s study, he comes across several calendars, all with different dates, with the same verse from The Acts on them. Is that in one of the books/shows?

When the sheriff was asking young Molly questions in her bedroom, after he left and her mother closed her bedroom door, you could see Molly’s breath. Surely her mother had heat in the house. So why the breath? Was she feeling Henry (who was lost out in the cold) at that point? Or is it a reference to a book?

Thanks for any insight.

42 minutes ago, ferjy said:

The "it floats, Georgie" seen in the opening credits. Obviously significant. What is it referencing? I've also seen "they all float" which I assume is from the same book or show/movie.

When the sheriff was asking young Molly questions in her bedroom, after he left and her mother closed her bedroom door, you could see Molly’s breath. Surely her mother had heat in the house. So why the breath? Was she feeling Henry (who was lost out in the cold) at that point? Or is it a reference to a book?

Thanks for any insight.

Addressing just the parts to which I have answers...

"Float", etc. is a reference to It. The kidnapped kids "all float down here" (in the sewer) and It's kid-luring red balloon is symbolic of the floating. Georgie is the brother of one of the kidnapped children; he's haunted by visions/hallucinations/It manifesting as his abducted little brother.

I took Molly's breath condensation exactly as you said--her feeling Henry being outside in the cold weather, where he would be experiencing it.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Addressing just the parts to which I have answers...

"Float", etc. is a reference to It. The kidnapped kids "all float down here" (in the sewer) and It's kid-luring red balloon is symbolic of the floating. Georgie is the brother of one of the kidnapped children; he's haunted by visions/hallucinations/It manifesting as his abducted little brother.

I took Molly's breath condensation exactly as you said--her feeling Henry being outside in the cold weather, where he would be experiencing it.

Thanks! I have the pvr set to record It, the older series and the movie later next week. I've seen and heard snippets here and there, but now I have to properly watch it. I thought it was set to tape yesterday and sat down this afternoon to watch it and inconsiderate pvr says it's not on until Monday! So that will be next week's viewing. It's the series, so a long one. Then the movie on the 10th, with Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise, so that should be a good watch. I haven't seen him in anything before Castle Rock. I'm more familiar with his brother Alexander (swoon). I'd love to see a noose around his neck (it's catching!).

Bill is also in a series on Netflix called Hemlock Grove, which is how I first knew of him. It's kind of bananas--werewolves and vampires and gypsies--but schlocky fun. It's kind of True Blood-ish.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Bill is also in a series on Netflix called Hemlock Grove, which is how I first knew of him. It's kind of bananas--werewolves and vampires and gypsies--but schlocky fun. It's kind of True Blood-ish.

I may have to take a look at it. I liked True Blood. Not for the story, mind, but the humour was top notch. And well... Alexander Skarsgård.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
On 7/30/2018 at 7:24 PM, JSG724 said:

Great deduction!  I feel like them casting Skarsgård is just too big of a coincidence for his character to not be related to Pennywise.  I would love the big reveal to be that The Kid is actually Pennywise and the warden’s character knowingly released him for his next season of killing.  

This show is creeping me out but I am fascinated.  I can’t wait to see where the story goes from here. 

That would be an interesting turn. But It doesn’t seem that the cast is related to characters they’ve previously played. I think the cast was intentionally chosen because they have played other characters from Stephen King works, but more as part of the Easter eggs and references for King fans. I think they’re all supposed to be completely new characters for this show. But who knows. Maybe Ma Deaver will end up burning down the town, sauntering down the street drenched in blood, donning her prom tiara and gown!

• Love 5
19 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

All I know is it’s a fun ride so far and I love that there are people out there who get as invested as I do! 

It really is. I’m already wishing there were more episodes in the season. And though I’m sure it will be back for at least another season, they’re saying it will be different characters and actors with a new story. I’m getting attached to these characters and I’m going to miss them! I really like Molly and her relationship with Henry. I’m starting to like Jackie Torrance and because of her surname, I can see some good storylines focussed more on her. Maybe some of the characters will cross over into the new stories in subsequent seasons. Are you listening Sam and Dustin?

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 3

I had to rewatch all of the episodes with MrKnopeWaffle, who wanted to get into the series with me. I’ve noticed a couple of things.

First, in the narration from The Headless Warden, he kept referring to “what WE did.” So we know he didn’t act alone.

When Henry’s Dad has Henry out in the woods he asks him “do you hear it now?” DevilBoy asks him the same thing after he asks how old he is. This makes me think that Henry was being used or was used to help trap DevilBoy to begin with? Or was going to be used to get rid of him and couldn’t? 

When Jackie Torrance mentions Henry’s disappearance while talking to Henry, she mentions the storm that hit, “Guinness Record” stuff, and I thought about Storm of the Century and the couple that gave their son to the devil guy to make the storm go away. My memory is rusty on the players and I’m not equipped to multiple screen google at the moment. I am thinking DevilBoy might be a little too young to be that kid all grown and sent out in the world to cause shenanigans, but maybe not? 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Anela said:

Like American Horror Story? The same actors coming back. I'd like that.

No, I want the same characters! Since they’re all Castle Rock related, I can see it working, have them showing up for a different storyline but still the same characters. Not every one of the stories, but some here and there.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

Everyone, due to the amount of traffic (GOOD) we are going to change to episode-specific threads rather than the all episode catch all. This is in part so that new viewers can avoid spoilers and also partly to really dig into each episode. 

I’m going to post new shiny episode-specific threads as soon as I get home from work. I ask that those of us who have already been talking about the episodes remember to post in the episode-specific threads from now on and to please not post anything from future episodes in these new threads ie: don’t talk about what happened in episode 3 in the episode 1 thread. However, once the season is over a broader discussion can take place in the all episodes thread with no fear of spoilers. 

I thank you all reading this and for taking time out of your day to post with us.  :-)

Will you be moving the posts from this thread to the appropriate episode threads? Or should we just start talking in the new threads from this point on? Although I guess we've already said it all here for the episodes that have already aired.

1 minute ago, 17wheatthins said:

No, I'm not moving anything; because so many posts have little bits from the three episodes that dropped at once. This is going forward, so that people new to the show don't get spoiled while trying to talk about their opinions etc. 

This topic will stand as an overall discussion after the season ends  

:-)

Thanks. I got a little confused that you started threads for the episodes that already aired. Knowing me, I'll go into one of them and think "I was sure I posted something about this episode." lol (Doesn't take much to confuse me!) Good idea for the new episodes since now they're airing weekly. Thanks for starting them. I'm glad the show is getting such a good response.

I am finally catching up with this show (work has been rough) and I really love it. Its like the Infinity War of Stephen King, everyone across all the stories come together! But with a giant clown instead of a giant purple alien! 

I do have to say, I was recently disappointed. I went to Maine for the first time last month for a vacation, and it was nothing like I've been promised! The weather was nice, not creepy and ominous, I didnt notice anyone with obvious psychic powers, there was a shortage of rabid dogs, alcoholic writers, AND aliens! And not a single kid could tell me where a dead body was! And I didnt see even one killer clown dwelling in the sewers! Very disappointing, Maine! Stephen King lied to me! 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I am finally catching up with this show (work has been rough) and I really love it. Its like the Infinity War of Stephen King, everyone across all the stories come together! But with a giant clown instead of a giant purple alien! 

I do have to say, I was recently disappointed. I went to Maine for the first time last month for a vacation, and it was nothing like I've been promised! The weather was nice, not creepy and ominous, I didnt notice anyone with obvious psychic powers, there was a shortage of rabid dogs, alcoholic writers, AND aliens! And not a single kid could tell me where a dead body was! And I didnt see even one killer clown dwelling in the sewers! Very disappointing, Maine! Stephen King lied to me! 

You forgot to take the detour to Castle Rock!

• Love 2
On 8/6/2018 at 8:16 AM, KnopeWaffle said:

I had to rewatch all of the episodes with MrKnopeWaffle, who wanted to get into the series with me. I’ve noticed a couple of things.

First, in the narration from The Headless Warden, he kept referring to “what WE did.” So we know he didn’t act alone.

When Henry’s Dad has Henry out in the woods he asks him “do you hear it now?” DevilBoy asks him the same thing after he asks how old he is. This makes me think that Henry was being used or was used to help trap DevilBoy to begin with? Or was going to be used to get rid of him and couldn’t? 

When Jackie Torrance mentions Henry’s disappearance while talking to Henry, she mentions the storm that hit, “Guinness Record” stuff, and I thought about Storm of the Century and the couple that gave their son to the devil guy to make the storm go away. My memory is rusty on the players and I’m not equipped to multiple screen google at the moment. I am thinking DevilBoy might be a little too young to be that kid all grown and sent out in the world to cause shenanigans, but maybe not? 

I think the actor is in his late twenties, and Storm of the Century aired about twenty years ago. I can't remember much about it, though

• Love 1
On 8/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, bilgistic said:

Bill is also in a series on Netflix called Hemlock Grove, which is how I first knew of him. It's kind of bananas--werewolves and vampires and gypsies--but schlocky fun.

I really enjoyed Hemlock Grove and the sort of vulnerability that Bill's character projected--that's probably why I give him the benefit of the doubt in this series regarding whether he is actually evil. 

• Love 1