Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Just Your Normal Average American Town

• Start Topic

I call bullshit on the inclusion of 'Salem's Lot and the Marsten House in the Castle Rock mythos.   'Salem's Lot was written years before King decided to concoct his own "Arkham country" (or Yoknapatawpha, for my fellow English majors).  There is no mention of Castle Rock anywhere in 'Salem's Lot.     Many citations of real places in Maine -- Portland, Falmouth, Cumberland, the Royal River, etc. -- but not a whiff of Castle Rock.   King tried to retcon it years later (I forget which novel, the later ones are all so terrible that they just kind of blur together) but it felt wedged in.

• Love 1

I just finished watching the first episode and am already worried for André Holland's character. I don't think I've seen him in anything else, but he's great--as are Sissy Spacek, Scott Glenn, and Bill Skarsgård. I saw some mixed reviews, but I really liked it and am planning to watch the other 2 available episodes today and then get frustrated at having to wait another week for more. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

I just finished watching the first episode and am already worried for André Holland's character. I don't think I've seen him in anything else, but he's great--as are Sissy Spacek, Scott Glenn, and Bill Skarsgård. I saw some mixed reviews, but I really liked it and am planning to watch the other 2 available episodes today and then get frustrated at having to wait another week for more. 

They have three episodes available? I'll have to look for it later. I'm finishing Colony, right now.

(edited)
17 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Andre Holland is brilliant...plz do yourself a favor and watch "Moonlight". I first loved him on American Horror Story. His eyes are always haunted, and haunting.

I loved all the  King allusions and references and easter eggs, tho I missed some of them, for sure.

I did hate the poor little mouse snapped in the trap, and the terrorized chicken over the alligator (croc?)'s mouth. please no more of that.

Also: I'm watching Sharp Objects too, and it kills me that these folks going back to their dysfunctional, creepy, crime-y towns and sort of awful families with awful histories are all going back to GORGEOUS< HUGE southern gothic looking homes. I had a perfectly normal, nice upbringing but I'd take a little dysfunction to have one of these for my family home.

Edited by luna1122
i forgot
  • Love 7

Thank you for the André Holland recommendations! His scenes with Melanie Lynskey (also wonderful) in episode 3 were excellent. Watching his happiness at finally meeting a friendly face slowly drain away when he's rejected yet again and her anguish at not being able to explain why was heartbreaking. The cast across the board is impressive. I didn't think I'd be able to watch Noel Fisher again without thinking about his role as the awful Stuckey in L&O: SVU, but I felt for his character and the difficult position he's in pretty quickly.

6 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I did hate the poor little mouse snapped in the trap, and the terrorized chicken over the alligator (croc?)'s mouth. please no more of that.

The lingering shots of the dead dog also seemed unnecessary.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

Thank you for the André Holland recommendations! His scenes with Melanie Lynskey (also wonderful) in episode 3 were excellent. Watching his happiness at finally meeting a friendly face slowly drain away when he's rejected yet again and her anguish at not being able to explain why was heartbreaking. The cast across the board is impressive. I didn't think I'd be able to watch Noel Fisher again without thinking about his role as the awful Stuckey in L&O: SVU, but I felt for his character and the difficult position he's in pretty quickly.

The lingering shots of the dead dog also seemed unnecessary.

oh no. I've only seen episode one so far, so I haven't gotten there yet. I don't know if i'll be able to hang if animal deaths are a theme.  Damn.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

I think the dog was in episode 2. When you get to the part with Scott Glenn digging up a grave, you might want to avert your eyes from the time when they start to open the box through the end of the scene.

I definitely will, thanks. I just can't handle that stuff.

I've just started watching the first episode. Maybe I shouldn't. I'm PMS'ing, and just cried over something unrelated. 

It was weird seeing a different prison for Shawshank. I finally visited the one in Mansfield, on my birthday of all days, and the main building was beautiful. It also really has a foreboding sense about it, just approaching it from the light across the street. It's like the hulk version of a building. Or maybe I've just been in a small town for too long.  

• Love 1

Die-hard Stephen King fan here.  I just finished up the first 3 episodes.  I was bored through most of it.  It's a tough task to bring Stephen King to the screen.  This story is just "inspired by" King, right?  Not based on a short that I'm just not remembering?  

Nothing in the first 3 episodes really captured me.  I may not be finishing this series.  Too many good shows to watch.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, its not based on any particular story per se, but it connects to stories.   Shawshank Prison (Shawshank Redemption), Castle Rock (Dead Zone, Cujo, Needful Things), Molly’s ability (The Shining, Doctor Sleep)... I’m sure there are others.

Edited by jcin617
  • Love 2
(edited)

Did I misunderstand, or did Henry act like he completely forgot about Molly's empathic ability (for lack of a better phrase)? There was a specific scene in which she told him about it when they were children, and I'd think he'd remember it especially because she said she could feel him having an orgasm when he masturbated.

I know little about opiates, but I'm wondering why Molly is taking them instead of anti-anxiety meds, which she could more easily get from a doctor who might diagnose her with anxiety or schizophrenia because of "voices in her head". A benzodiazepine (Valium, Xanax) would calm her nerves and the "system overload", speaking as someone with social anxiety. An opiate is overkill for her issues, i.e., no pain.

A generic anti-anxiety RX would also be cheaper than buying drugs off a scuzzy kid. I'm really overthinking this.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Did I misunderstand, or did Henry act like he completely forgot about Molly's empathic ability (for lack of a better phrase)? 

She told him that pre-disappearance. I thought he only couldn't remember what happened in the 11 days he was missing, but based on the scene with his mom talking about his 7th birthday, it sounds like he forgot things before then too. So he must not remember whatever bad things his father did to him since he was so concerned about his missing grave.

• Love 2

Really enjoying this so far - I've watched the first 2 episodes and am bit disappointed there isn't much discussion on here so far - it seems very promising to me.

Stellar actors, great atmosphere (the whole "world" of Castle Rock looks exactly how I picture it in my head). I've picked up on a few Stephen King references, but I'm sure I've missed quite a bit. It's effectively creepy, and I'm interested in Henry Deaver's story - Andre Holland is excellent - he conveys so much with his eyes. I really hope the show will resolve some of the tantalizing mysteries and not wind up as an exercise in frustration like "Lost" was.

One thing that I'm loving about this show is that in addition to supernatural weirdness, the story is working  in some of the real-life horrors that affect small towns all over North America: rampant drug addiction, and economic hopelessness.

Will take a look at episode 3 tomorrow, and then be all impatient for the weekly episodes!

Interesting note: I read that if this gets renewed for a 2nd season, it will be an arc involving a whole new set of characters in Castle Rock.

• Love 5

I'm really enjoying the who's-who cast of this show...a lot of familiar faces from other Stephen King screen (big and small) adaptations. It's not a terrifically compelling plot quite yet, but I'm sticking with it--it mirrors King's books, which tend to start off incredibly slowly as he sets all the pieces out onto the chessboard. That doesn't always work out in film form (I'm looking at YOU, "Storm of the Century"), but sometimes it does (I'm blowing you a kiss, "The Stand"!). 

• Love 3

I've only made it through 1-1/2 episodes, but I like it. The end of the first episode was spooky, the atmosphere is good. I should have started it when I wasn't falling asleep, and then getting ready to go out (last night, episode two). My computer shut off halfway through. So I need to get back to it.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Shorty186 said:

She told him that pre-disappearance. I thought he only couldn't remember what happened in the 11 days he was missing, but based on the scene with his mom talking about his 7th birthday, it sounds like he forgot things before then too. So he must not remember whatever bad things his father did to him since he was so concerned about his missing grave.

Well, I completely missed all of that--that he had forgotten things, I mean. I wasn't very clear on what was happening with him and his dad from the outset. I was too focused on Mystery Boy and "Is he really the devil or was the former warden schizophrenic/otherwise disturbed so much that he decided to lock Mystery Boy in a cage?" ("God told him to.")

The thought of rewatching makes me tired, but I may have to. I think I also didn't pay well enough attention between picking out the actors who have been in all the other things I have seen (It, Hemlock Grove, Suborgatory, American Horror Story, Bloodline, Carrie, Six Feet Under, The Leftovers, The Knick, Togetherness, Lost...) and who are Stephen King alums and trying to figure everything out instead of just watching and absorbing.

The end of the second episode has me linking this to Frailty, too - the movie. Not a Stephen King story, and he didn't kill the guy. 

I turned my eyes when that guy was digging, and then when the dog or wolf was digging, too. So I hope I avoided what was mentioned here. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/26/2018 at 8:28 AM, luna1122 said:

Andre Holland is brilliant...plz do yourself a favor and watch "Moonlight". I first loved him on American Horror Story. His eyes are always haunted, and haunting.

I loved all the  King allusions and references and easter eggs, tho I missed some of them, for sure.

Also: I'm watching Sharp Objects too, and it kills me that these folks going back to their dysfunctional, creepy, crime-y towns and sort of awful families with awful histories are all going back to GORGEOUS< HUGE southern gothic looking homes. I had a perfectly normal, nice upbringing but I'd take a little dysfunction to have one of these for my family home.

lol I think you'd better stick to your normal upbringing instead, going by what is most likely coming up next (nothing too cheerful, I presume!). I'm watching Sharp Objects too. It would definitely take away from the gorgeous homes living with these nutcases.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Wicked said:

I'm enjoying it so far. I think it's very well done.

I agree. I'm surprised how much I enjoyed it. It's properly eerie. I've seen the first two episodes and can't wait to get to the third.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 11:35 AM, 17wheatthins said:

If you guys love Andre Holland, you should check out The Knick. It was a Cinemax series about the Knickerbocker Hospital in 1900s NYC. Andre plays a black surgeon. He is wonderful and the series is fascinating, albeit a little gory because of surgical scenes. 

The Knick is where I have seen him too, where he was excellent.

On 7/26/2018 at 2:36 PM, krankydoodle said:

Ha ha! I thought the same thing about his role in Godiva's the only other show I've seen him in. Also not a very likable character. This is a much better role.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Anela said:

The end of the second episode has me linking this to Frailty, too - the movie. Not a Stephen King story, and he didn't kill the guy. 

I turned my eyes when that guy was digging, and then when the dog or wolf was digging, too. So I hope I avoided what was mentioned here. 

7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The dog dug up something that was missing/was stated to be not found at the scene of an...incident. I hope that gives you enough info. I can tell you straight out if you want.

As Bilgistic suggests, you definitely want to know what the dog dug up. It goes along with the narration at that point.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 9:07 PM, jcin617 said:

Yeah, its not based on any particular story per se, but it connects to stories.   Shawshank Prison (Shawshank Redemption), Castle Rock (Dead Zone, Cujo, Needful Things), Molly’s ability (The Shining, Doctor Sleep)... I’m sure there are others.

I didn't think I'd notice many connections since I've only read Stephen King's earlier books so I was glad to get Shawshank Redemption and Dead Zone (Castle Rock) of course, and the only one I got as far as clues go was Cujo, when Henry was riffling through the newspaper clippings (the one about the rabid dog). I'll look forward to everyone mentioning other references they've caught.

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2018 at 3:53 PM, luna1122 said:

I definitely will, thanks. I just can't handle that stuff.

I'm not sure how sensitive you are to it, but just so you know, it was only a dead dog, somewhat decayed. The live chicken scene actually bothered me more.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

Really enjoying this so far - I've watched the first 2 episodes and am bit disappointed there isn't much discussion on here so far - it seems very promising to me.

Stellar actors, great atmosphere (the whole "world" of Castle Rock looks exactly how I picture it in my head). I've picked up on a few Stephen King references, but I'm sure I've missed quite a bit. It's effectively creepy, and I'm interested in Henry Deaver's story - Andre Holland is excellent - he conveys so much with his eyes. I really hope the show will resolve some of the tantalizing mysteries and not wind up as an exercise in frustration like "Lost" was.

One thing that I'm loving about this show is that in addition to supernatural weirdness, the story is working  in some of the real-life horrors that affect small towns all over North America: rampant drug addiction, and economic hopelessness.

Will take a look at episode 3 tomorrow, and then be all impatient for the weekly episodes!

Interesting note: I read that if this gets renewed for a 2nd season, it will be an arc involving a whole new set of characters in Castle Rock.

We were all still catching up! I'm glad to see others are enjoying it too.

• Love 1

I started rewatching and caught an "Easter egg". Henry goes to the late warden's house and asks his widow to see his office. She gets a phone call and he sneaks in the office and starts rooting around. He sees a manila folder atop a credenza or desk. The folder is full of newspaper clippings, one of which is titled something like, "Shop Owner Missing After Fire" (Needful Things) and another is something like, "Rabid Dog Ravages Through Town" (Cujo).

...And I just saw that @ferjy mentioned the newspapers.

I read a fair amount of Stephen King when I was younger and I've seen most of his movie and TV adaptations.

There's a bunch of stuff in the credits, which shows a book with chapter titles. I think there's one about twins (The Shining) and a red balloon (It).

11 minutes ago, Starchild said:

I think that was a robot chicken?

I think it was, based on how the wings moved. I didn't understand why that scene was even included. If he was in Houston, could he not have flown straight (or with a layover) to Portland? The gator attraction was in Louisiana, I think. That just didn't make sense. He did say he flew in, but I guess took the bus from the airport to Castle Rock.

Again, I'm overthinking this.

Oh! And I think Mystery Boy (alternate names?) was put in the cage sometime around the time Henry was found in 1991. Late warden was watching George H.W. Bush on TV. Clinton was elected in November 1992 (that was my first time voting; I turned 18 in October 1992). So was Mystery Boy a child then? How did the warden know Henry would be an attorney?? 2018 minus 1991 is 27 years, which is how often Pennywise from It comes out--every 27 years!

• Love 4

When Henry's mom gives him the cornbread (or whatever) with the birthday candle in, she asks, "Your birthday is still on the 27th?"

Mystery Boy tells his cellmate, "Don't want to touch me". Cellmate ends up dead. I thought maybe something happens to people who touch him, but other people have touched him--the doctor that examined him when he was taken from the cage and one of the corrections officers.

Something I'm wondering about was why there was no cut hair found in the cage. They found the box full of fingernail clippings. Why not hair? Did Warden Lacy give the boy regular haircuts?

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

I started rewatching and caught an "Easter egg". Henry goes to the late warden's house and asks his widow to see his office. She gets a phone call and he sneaks in the office and starts rooting around. He sees a manila folder atop a credenza or desk. The folder is full of newspaper clippings, one of which is titled something like, "Shop Owner Missing After Fire" (Needful Things) and another is something like, "Rabid Dog Ravages Through Town" (Cujo).

...And I just saw that @ferjy mentioned the newspapers.

I read a fair amount of Stephen King when I was younger and I've seen most of his movie and TV adaptations.

There's a bunch of stuff in the credits, which shows a book with chapter titles. I think there's one about twins (The Shining) and a red balloon (It).

I think it was, based on how the wings moved. I didn't understand why that scene was even included. If he was in Houston, could he not have flown straight (or with a layover) to Portland? The gator attraction was in Louisiana, I think. That just didn't make sense. He did say he flew in, but I guess took the bus from the airport to Castle Rock.

Again, I'm overthinking this.

Oh! And I think Mystery Boy (alternate names?) was put in the cage sometime around the time Henry was found in 1991. Late warden was watching George H.W. Bush on TV. Clinton was elected in November 1992 (that was my first time voting; I turned 18 in October 1992). So was Mystery Boy a child then? How did the warden know Henry would be an attorney?? 2018 minus 1991 is 27 years, which is how often Pennywise from It comes out--every 27 years!

Good deductions! Oh no, not Pennywise! Who doesn’t hate clowns, and he’s the worst.

I figured the shop owner article was significant. I haven’t read Needless Things so good to know where it’s from. The “Anonymous Tip Leading to Boy’s...” (probably Body) headline was possibly Stand By Me? There was an accompanying photo of a set of train tracks. The “Horror At...” headline may have been referencing Storm of the Century. Right beside it was a weather announcement of some kind. I didn’t catch the contents. Did it announce a blizzard? I like the article beside the rabid dog headline. “Rabies Shots At All Time High”. lol I noticed a word Bat with Rab below it on one of clippings. Probably also re Cujo, the bat that bit him on the nose rendering him rabid. 

Oh, the credits! I’ll have to make a point to take a look at those. 

Hmm, alternate names, how about straight up Devil Boy. lol

So this chicken, do you guys mean it was fake in the show as well? I figured they weren’t abusing a real chicken on set, but wasn’t it meant to be real in the episode? What was the purpose of his actions? I thought he was being a horrid little boy at first but it seemed to have some purpose. Was it to bring the gator out to “entertain” a customer (Henry in this case)? As you can tell, I didn’t watch the scene too closely. 

17 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

When Henry's mom gives him the cornbread (or whatever) with the birthday candle in, she asks, "Your birthday is still on the 27th?"

Mystery Boy tells his cellmate, "Don't want to touch me". Cellmate ends up dead. I thought maybe something happens to people who touch him, but other people have touched him--the doctor that examined him when he was taken from the cage and one of the corrections officers.

Something I'm wondering about was why there was no cut hair found in the cage. They found the box full of fingernail clippings. Why not hair? Did Warden Lacy give the boy regular haircuts?

Maybe they have to want to harm him for him to hurt them instead? The new warden seemed to think the cellmate would kill him so in return he was given cancer. Maybe if he’d just wanted to play with him a little he would have only contracted a bad case of crabs. 

Warden Lacy may have collected the cut hair to make himself a nice toupée. ;-)

Edited by ferjy
  • Love 2

The chicken was real in the show world (to bait the gator for whatever reason), but it appeared to be animatronic in real life/for TV production. The wings moved very uniformly.

@ferjy, you caught a lot of the articles!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, bilgistic said:

The chicken was real in the show world (to bait the gator for whatever reason), but it appeared to be animatronic in real life/for TV production. The wings moved very uniformly.

@ferjy, you caught a lot of the articles!

Thanks, that’s what I thought. When I said live, I did mean live in the show. I thought people were saying it was robotic in the show as well. I’m not up on my gator baiting. 

They did linger on the articles. I like that format. I hate when they flash by things too quickly. It will be fun to pick up the references. 

(edited)

My post is doing something really weird. I've submitted a bug report.

In the credits, each frame between the plus signs is as follows.

+ + + + +

Book:

Contents

Prologue I

Part One

The Two Dead Girls (page) 13

Part Two:

The Mouse on the Mile   75

+ + + + +

The Devil (circled) in Castle Rock

Psalm 9:17 [The verse is, "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."]

+ + + + +

The lights went out.

Chapter 19

Jimmy ran back to Matt's room.

The line's out at the Petrie house. i think he's ther...[off page] we were so stupid.

[This is from 'Salem's Lot.]

+ + + + +

Map of Castle Rock at the west to Mt. Desert Island to the east. Written in red at Castle Rock is "Pop. 1500". Derry is circled. Between Bangor and Haven is a red X next to the words "Crash site". Above Mt. Desert Island and Little T--- [Little Tall Island--off map at east] is a circled island with the words "Storm of the century"

+ + + + +

Other words spinkled throughout:

Misery (a couple times), Cujo (couple times), Delores Claiborne, Shawshank State Prison, 217 (twice), "they float, Ge--[presumably Georgie]" kidnapped (written beneath "they float..."), redrum murder redrum, It, 217 237, Pennywise lives

+ + + + +

By the way, Alan Pangborn (I remembered the name) was the sheriff in Needful Things. The Stephen King Wiki says he was sheriff from 1981 to 1991.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 2

Well hot diggity! Just finished episode 3. It's going to be torture to wait for weekly episodes to be released after this!

Still loving the atmosphere and slow burn of this show, and how the various townspeople are starting to interrelate. It really DOES feel like a Stephen King creation to me, and since I've read just about everything he's written (save for his Dark Tower fantasy novels), it's a bit of a kick seeing all the little references tossed in here and there.

Things I'm pondering:

• If Warden Lacey supposedly kept this "kid" locked up to protect the town from evil, why would he refer him to an attorney just prior to his suicide? Why would he unleash this on the town and then off himself? The scene of his brother's suicide in Ep. 2 is still haunting me.
  • I'm going to presume that Pastor Deaver had to have been doing something awful to poor Henry, in order for Molly to have done what she did.

Because the town looked so great on camera I looked up the filming locations, and it was indeed filmed in New England - Massachusetts instead of Maine though. Great job on that - it really adds to the whole feel of the show. 

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Odd things happening for me too. I’ve always hated how this site merges posts together, I prefer them to stay separate, the way I posted them. But this time I actually had a message pop up saying “Your posts have been merged.”  ??? Never had this happen before. Why do they merge them anyway?

Edited by ferjy
(edited)

I had a closer look (there’s so much to catch, it warrants a quick second viewing). In the narration at the beginning of Episode 2, Dale Lacy is talking about murders that took place in his own home (“sins” committed there) and mentions (I’m paraphrasing) “it was after they found that boy’s body by the train tracks”. Obviously Stand By Me again. Before that was a scene with his brother in a (bear?) costume jumping off a building.  On to another shot of a typewriter in a room and someone lying dead in the bathtub (just shows the leg, with cotton stuck to it, the cotton an important clue, I assume). Another scene shows a woman (wife probably) sitting in a car in the garage, revving the engine, a hose hooked up to the exhaust pipe of the car, the other end of the hose under the door of a room in the house where the husband is sitting passed out drunk in a chair. Are these from King’s books? I was thinking Delores Claiborne for the last, but she rigged up a different fatal disaster for her husband. Unless it’s a different version of it, more thoughts she may have had before settling on her solution. 

Edited by ferjy
(edited)
8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

In the credits, each frame between the plus signs is as follows.

+ + + + +

Book:

Contents

Prologue I

Part One

The Two Dead Girls (page) 13

Part Two:

The Mouse on the Mile   75

+ + + + +

The Devil (circled) in Castle Rock

Psalm 9:17 [The verse is, "The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God."]

+ + + + +

The lights went out.

Chapter 19

Jimmy ran back to Matt's room.

The line's out at the Petrie house. i think he's ther...[off page] we were so stupid.

[This is from 'Salem's Lot.]

+ + + + +

Map of Castle Rock at the west to Mt. Desert Island to the east. Written in red at Castle Rock is "Pop. 1500". Derry is circled. Between Bangor and Haven is a red X next to the words "Crash site". Above Mt. Desert Island and Little T--- [Little Tall Island--off map at east] is a circled island with the words "Storm of the century"

+ + + + +

Other words spinkled throughout:

Misery (a couple times), Cujo (couple times), Delores Claiborne, Shawshank State Prison, 217 (twice), "they float, Ge--[presumably Georgie]" kidnapped (written beneath "they float..."), redrum murder redrum, It, 217 237, Pennywise lives

+ + + + +

By the way, Alan Pangborn (I remembered the name) was the sheriff in Needful Things. The Stephen King Wiki says he was sheriff from 1981 to 1991.

Nicely put together! I still have to check out the credits. And watch Ep 3, later today. 

There was a Needful Things adaption in 1993 with Ed Harris as Panghorn. I never saw it. I was busy raising young’uns that decade so didn’t get to much TV. I’ll have to try find that movie. 

Edited by ferjy
7 hours ago, Cheezwiz said:

Because the town looked so great on camera I looked up the filming locations, and it was indeed filmed in New England - Massachusetts instead of Maine though. Great job on that - it really adds to the whole feel of the show. 

I agree, they found the perfect town to film.  I live in Maine, and it does look like Maine, once you get away from the tourist attractions. And I love how it adds to the atmosphere of the show.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ferjy said:

Odd things happening for me too. I’ve always hated how this site merges posts together, I prefer them to stay separate, the way I posted them. But this time I actually had a message pop up saying “Your posts have been merged.”  ??? Never had this happen before. Why do they merge them anyway?

If you post two times within a certain time frame (whatever it is--five minutes? 10? Who knows?), the site automatically merges your posts. I don't like it either.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ferjy said:

I had a closer look (there’s so much to catch, it warrants a quick second viewing). In the narration at the beginning of Episode 2, Dale Lacy is talking about murders that took place in his own home (“sins” committed there) and mentions (I’m paraphrasing) “it was after they found that boy’s body by the train tracks”. Obviously Stand By Me again. Before that was a scene with his brother in a (bear?) costume jumping off a building.  On to another shot of a typewriter in a room and someone lying dead in the bathtub (just shows the leg, with cotton stuck to it, the cotton an important clue, I assume). Another scene shows a woman (wife probably) sitting in a car in the garage, revving the engine, a hose hooked up to the exhaust pipe of the car, the other end of the hose under the door of a room in the house where the husband is sitting passed out drunk in a chair. Are these from King’s books? I was thinking Delores Claiborne for the last, but she rigged up a different fatal disaster for her husband. Unless it’s a different version of it, more thoughts she may have had before settling on her solution. 

Searching the Stephen King Wiki (which is my new pastime, it seems!), yields this:

The mascot was a tiger, I thought. Derry's high school mascot is the tiger. The only reference I find to jumping off a school building is a female character in The Rage: Carrie 2, which I'm embarrassed to say I've seen, but I wouldn't at all say is canon because King didn't write it.

The typewriter is probably a reference to Jack's typewriter in The Shining, which also has a woman committing suicide by slitting her wrists in a bathtub.

Carbon monoxide poisoning by car exhaust happens in Christine and N. Christine has one case of death by Christine's exhaust (the car does it) and one by suicide, and in N., the death is suicide. I can't find any cases of someone killing another by exhaust fumes.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

If you post two times within a certain time frame (whatever it is--five minutes? 10? Who knows?), the site automatically merges your posts. I don't like it either.

Immediately, yes.  But I've come back a day later and posts that were separate originally and posted even an hour apart are suddenly merged. Really odd practice. If you want to agree with someone's post, but don't agree with one of the others they're merged, you have to just agree with the whole thing. And it makes reading posts harder as some posts are huge and have several thoughts going. The first time I was on the forum I though, "Boy, some people can really rant!" lol But it was just a slew of posts merged together.

45 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Searching the Stephen King Wiki (which is my new pastime, it seems!), yields this:

The mascot was a tiger, I thought. Derry's high school mascot is the tiger. The only reference I find to jumping off a school building is a female character in The Rage: Carrie 2, which I'm embarrassed to say I've seen, but I wouldn't at all say is canon because King didn't write it.

The typewriter is probably a reference to Jack's typewriter in The Shining, which also has a woman committing suicide by slitting her wrists in a bathtub.

Carbon monoxide poisoning by car exhaust happens in Christine and N. Christine has one case of death by Christine's exhaust (the car does it) and one by suicide, and in N., the death is suicide. I can't find any cases of someone killing another by exhaust fumes.

Thanks. It's been a long time since I've read Christine or seen the movie. They show it every once in a while, I'll have to watch it next time to refresh my memory. I should have got The Shining references. I'm going to have to think harder!