Type keyword(s) to search

TAR in the Media

• Start Topic

Any news on what the ratings have been like for All-Stars?

Some of these teams elicited dislike for appearing on the show again.  Maybe it turned off some significant number of viewers?

Ratings have been down a healthy amount.

In the 18-49 demo, which is what the networks care about, as it sets their ad rates, the first 5 episodes have gotten:

1.5, 1.5, 1.9, 1.8, 1.8

The show has been steadily dropping for the last several cycles.  21 was in the 2.5-2.7 range, 22 in the 2.3-2.5 range, 23 in the 1.9-2.2 range, and you can see what 24 is getting.  At this rate, its very possible 25 or 26 is our last go-round, as we are creeping toward the bottom of CBS's renewal range (for example, The Mentalist is going to get canceled this year and thats been around 1.3-1.5.  The Crazy Ones is their lowest rated comedy at 1.8-2.0 and that's getting canceled.  So the ratings story is not great.  The fan outcry was so bad when the cast of all-stars was announced, combining with premiering against the Olympic Closing ceremonies and the Oscars the first 2 weeks, that many viewers probably just said screw it.  The test now is whether any of those viewers will return come September (or whenever we premiere)

But it should have lower production costs so maybe it'll survive.

Consider that it's given out $24 million in prize money in 24 seasons.

They pay that much to some of the stars of the highest rated shows for one season.

The budget is definitely getting tighter, as is evidenced by the constant LA starts, spoonfed flights, and lack of teams driving themselves (gotta be expensive to insure everyone) and it has lower production costs than dramas, but sooner or later the ratings won't be enough.  I remember reading an article a while back (think it was around TAR13 or 14) that said the estimated production budget for one season was about 13-15 mil, which averages out to about 1.2 mil an episode.  I'm sure it's probably been tightened since then.  The typical TV drama has a budget of 2-3 mil per episode.

The big thing is the time shifted viewing, not just on the same evening, or within three days, but within seven and thirty days. even though the advertisers are now up to using the plus three numbers, it is clear that Moonves and CBS are using plus seven, plus 30 and alternative platform information as well. From what I can discern, when those data field are taken into account TAR's audience is much more stable than the overnights, and thw weeklys (which only adds the plus same day for TAR) would indicate.

Another way to see how this works out is to look at the relative weekly rankings, where TAR is usually in the top 20, or top 25 some weeks, even this season. That's about where TAR has been ever since it moved to Sundays. Even 60 Minutes and the Good Wife are showing similar overnight numbers and in the weekly ratings report, and are also in the Top 20-25 range as TAR is.

One thing that helps TAR is that it continues to have strength in the high income demo of 25-54, where the miney is, as well as in overseas syndication. And TAR is again getting that free exposure with the repeats on TVGN now that CBS has a half interest. About the only thing TAR is not getting is having access for viewers who can get the CBS on demand cable service. I don;t understand that one, when both Survivor and Undercover Boss are available on demand.

I hope that TAR fans know that TVGN has been repeating TAR Saturday nights at 8 PM EDT, followed by Survivor at 9 and TAR again at 10 PM. 

Edited by Nascar

I was just about to post that. Is anybody else up for a field trip? I'm thinking about it, but it's rather late, and I'd like to see some fellow fans from p.tv. I don't want to be all by my lonesome that late at night.

There hasn't been any more information posted, has there? I'm still unsure whether it takes place tonight or tomorrow night. And Times Square is a big place, so zeroing it down to a specific locale would be nice.

There hasn't been any more information posted, has there? I'm still unsure whether it takes place tonight or tomorrow night. And Times Square is a big place, so zeroing it down to a specific locale would be nice.

Saturday at 3 a.m.

So for those who consider the wee small hours to be part of the night, it's tonight.

No additional info on where in Times Square.

Phil has tweeted out the invite on his twitter account, most recently this morning, and a bystander got a photo of Phil with Bertram Van Munster at Bethesda Fountain in Central Park and tweeted that out this afternoon. Any self respecting TARfly knows what that is.......

Just to reinforce what Bella said above since it's kind of in the grey area between spoilers and media, if the event was related to filming a new season please discuss that in the Spoilers thread or create a new thread so people who may not want to know the details can avoid them. Thanks!

• Love 1

Is it a spoiler if CBS has already officially announced the names of the Season 25 cast? (https://tv.yahoo.com/news/amazing-race-season-25-cast-174000524.html)

I really don't want to be spoiled on anything else that happens after they left Times Square, so I'm not sure I want to go over there to discuss the cast.

How about just providing the link to the cast like you did and not mentioning them by name outside of the spoiler thread? That way people who don't want to know can avoid clicking on the link.

(edited)

The 2014 Emmy nomination count for TAR stands at six, the submitted episode being Season 23's first Indonesian leg, a.k.a. AngklungGate:

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
    The Amazing Race • CBS • WorldRace Productions, Inc.
    Bertram van Munster, Executive Producer Elise Doganieri, Executive Producer
    Jerry Bruckheimer, Executive Producer Jonathan Littman, Executive Producer Mark Vertullo, Executive Producer
    Dan Coffie, Co-Executive Producer Giselle Parets, Co-Executive Producer Matt Schmidt, Co-Executive Producer Patrick Cariaga,   Co-Executive Producer Phil Keoghan, Co-Executive Producer Michael Norton, Supervising Producer Darren Bunkley, Supervising Producer Neil Jahss, Supervising Producer Micheal DiMaggio, Supervising Producer Chad Baron, Senior Producer
    Vanessa Abugho Ballesteros, Senior Producer

Outstanding Directing For Nonfiction Programming
    The Amazing Race • Part Like The Red Sea • CBS • WorldRace Productions, Inc.
    Bertram van Munster, Directed by

Outstanding Cinematography For Reality Programming
    Cinematography Team

Outstanding Picture Editing For Reality Programming
    Eric Goldfarb, Editor Julian Gomez, Editor Andrew Kozar, Editor Paul C. Nielsen, Editor Andy Castor, Editor Jennifer Nelson, Editor Jacob Parsons, Editor

Outstanding Sound Editing For Nonfiction Programming (Single Or Multi-Camera)
    Eric Goldfarb, Sound Editor Julian Gomez, Sound Editor Andrew Kozar, Sound Editor Paul C. Nielsen, Sound Editor Jacob Parsons, Sound Editor Andy Castor, Sound Editor Jennifer Nelson, Sound Editor Ryan Leamy, Sound Editor Eric Beetner, Sound Editor Aaron Cross, Sound Editor

Outstanding Sound Mixing For Nonfiction Programming
    Jim Ursulak, Production Mixer
    Dean Gaveau C.A.S., Production Mixer Jerry Chabane, Production Mixer
    Troy Smith, Re-Recording Mixer

Edited by Rusun

I'm most excited about this part:

The 25th edition of The Amazing Race will premiere this fall on a new day and time, Fridays (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.

Finally! I'm so sick of football (or golf) screwing up the timing of the show. Even when I've set my DVR to record extra time at the end in case it began late, there have been times we weren't home and it was so late that not all of the episode was recorded.

This works out so much better, especially because we can record it and watch it late Friday night, or we have all weekend to watch it.

• Love 3

Aren't Fridays where shows go to die?

I think that was the case for many years, but now with DVR, watching online, Hulu, etc., etc., it's not so cut and dried. That's not to say I'm thrilled with the shift - I'm not - but it's not necessarily dire.

• Love 1

I wasn't sure where to post this, but the twinnies, Natalie & Nadiya from seasons 21 & 27 All stars are going to be on this season of Survivor. I can't imagine how that's going to go, if they're screeching "TWINNIE!" at each other the entire time, they aren't going to last long. I hope. I can't deal with them at all.

• Love 3

I wasn't sure where to post this, but the twinnies, Natalie & Nadiya from seasons 21 & 27 All stars are going to be on this season of Survivor. I can't imagine how that's going to go, if they're screeching "TWINNIE!" at each other the entire time, they aren't going to last long. I hope. I can't deal with them at all.

OMG...No..No..No!!  I hate them!!!!!!

And this year there's a new twist.  The pair that wins the first leg of the race gets a "save". In other words they can save themselves if they are about to be eliminated.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/news/1003033/

• Love 1

It's quite possible that the team who gets the "Save" won't ever face elimination.  This means the total number of episodes can't be known in advance.  

Unless the one-before-Saved team gets called back to the pitstop and eliminated instead?  Surely they couldn't do that.

Unless the one-before-Saved team gets called back to the pitstop and eliminated instead?  Surely they couldn't do that.

TAR19's Ron and Bill plus Ethan and Jenna may have unwittingly set a precedent.

Bringing back a team to be eliminated would be too cruel for this show.

TAR10's Bilal and Sa'eed along with TAR15's Eric and Lisa know that cruelty well and say hi.

Edited by Rusun

I didn't get to stay home to watch the NFL on CBS. Were there any commercials for TAR, or is it too early to be searching for those?

I missed the games, too :(. I searched online, haven't seen any new commercials posted. Maybe tomorrow.

Not sure if the Xfinity listings count as media, but the description of tonight's episode says the teams are in London

'competing for an Express Pass'.

.  Added the spoiler bars since it came as quite a surprise to me.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

I kept checking CBS, but I didn't see any commercials for the next episode. Then I checked the YouTube page and found this. Shetland ponies and busted ankles, oh my! And we got sheep as well. I'm sure the ad will pop up tomorrow night on Survivor, but I'm concerned CBS isn't promoting the show.

ETA: I did see the commercial on Survivor. Also, there's a reason to love Kym & Ali shown in this sneak peek.

While this is not about the race itself,  I did want to mention what amazing work Blake Mycoskie (TAR 2) has done with Toms.  He has credited the show in being able to see more cultures and what opportunities are out there. 

This is going way, way back, but in 2006 a book was published called My Ox is Broken!: Roadblocks, Detours, Fast Forwards and Other Great Moments from TV's "The Amazing Race."   I wanted to take a bath last night, so I grabbed that off our bookshelf.  I haven't flipped through it in years.  There aren't really any earth-shattering revelations in it and the author's personal bias is pretty evident (he hated Season 8 - the family edition), but it's an interesting analysis of the various teams.  Plus, it's a good resource if you want to refresh your memory on particular teams, episodes and/or tasks.  Unfortunately, it only covers Seasons 1 through 9.  I wish the author would update it.  Has anyone else read this book?