Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: The Grief And The Girl

WendyCR72

Well.

The Sully part was silly.  Brennan handling her dad's passing poorly? I get that. I believe that.  But other than one dinner that NO ONE ATTENDED except her and Sully, I didn't see her confiding in him much.  How do Angela and Aubrey and Booth know she cried to him?  Her trusty out of date boots wired for sound?

At least the last few scenes were nice.  Apparently they get paid extra for kisses, but we did get a hug and some genuine-enough ILY.  Still, I watched the ep with the time capsule last night and the scene with Smurfette had way more chemistry.  Sad.

• Love 2

I thought how they had Brennan act at the funeral was out of character for her.  She has always said that she was an atheist, but she says that she feels 'blessed' by having such good friends and family.  (Unless 'blessed' can be used without any type of religious meaning.)  Also, when she said 'bye Dad' to his coffin.  When she visited her mother's grave in a much earlier episode, she didn't want to talk to her mother there when Booth wanted her to because it was pointless, since only a body was there and her mother couldn't hear her.  

Also, it seemed weird that Cam, Clark and the others were so excited about the potential Viking excavation.  I know that Clark would be, but why would the others even really care?  

• Love 1

The marital conflict was so manufactured. It arose for nebulous, unconvincing reasons and was resolved for equally nebulous and unconvincing reasons. Also, I don't care that Brennan says you should go to Canada, Booth. The correct answer is "Two of my children just lost their caregiver and last remaining grandparent. If you need space I'll leave you alone, but I need to stay here because my children need me."

(Welcome to the forum, Lizzy!)

• Love 8
On 2/22/2017 at 5:29 AM, BooksRule said:

Also, it seemed weird that Cam, Clark and the others were so excited about the potential Viking excavation.  I know that Clark would be, but why would the others even really care?  

Because it's Vikings! (exclamation point from characters point of view).

I do think it would be pretty cool to find a Viking settlement. I haven't paid a lot of attention lately, but I don't think there are that many great archeological finds in regards to Vikings in North America. So any find is pretty cool.

21 hours ago, ddawn23 said:

Also, I don't care that Brennan says you should go to Canada, Booth. The correct answer is "Two of my children just lost their caregiver and last remaining grandparent. If you need space I'll leave you alone, but I need to stay here because my children need me."

Absolutely. His death impacted everyone, and while Brennan was his daughter, his grandchildren were very close to him. She obviously wasn't in shape to help the children with their own grief (and why weren't they at the funeral?)

• Love 1

Who on earth walked into a writer's meeting and suggested that the episode after Brennan's dad dies they bring back her ex-boyfriend and not her brother? Even if they had to recast Russ, doing the wedding without him was bad enough but this just looked like they would rather have contrived drama than genuine emotion. 

• Love 5

Autistic, I agree. I wonder if the show did something to piss off the Russ actor as he hasn't returned in yrs even when there has been reason for him to, such as attending B & B's wedding and now Max's funeral. Which pisses me off anyway. I still see no reason why they killed Max off. 

• Love 1

I'd rather Russ have "scheduling issues" than a new actor.  I like the guy who plays him, he seems like he really is shady but also a nice guy.

When I saw Greg Evigan in the credits I spent half the ep looking for him and then tada!  Hi BJ!  Not surprising he turned into a silver fox but making him do the accent was a curious choice.

So when is Hannah going to come strolling back in the picture?

(I AM KIDDING HART.  Don't you dare.)

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Actually, it kind of made sense to me that Brennan was able to open up to Sully in a way she couldn't with Booth. She knew she couldn't be his rock right now, she needed to process her own grief, so asking him to give her a little space was as much for him as for her. Brennan said it herself - she knew he was blaming himself and she couldn't deal with his guilt along with her own pain.

I know a lot of people are bothered by the lack of physical interaction between Booth and Brennan but they have never been the most affectionate couple and that is something that tends to slack off during a relationship. I have never doubted that they love each other and will do anything for each other. To me, that is more important than kisses and hugs.

As for the kids not being at the funeral - sometimes people do not bring children to funerals, allowing the children a chance to grieve on their own. It is not that unusual and maybe they didn't want the kids last memory of their Grandpa to be him in a coffin.

I'm still enjoying this season and I am curious to see how they end all of the story lines. As long and they keep Booth and Brennan and Angela and Hodgins together, I'm good.

• Love 4
On 2/26/2017 at 11:06 PM, secnarf said:

Just got around to watching the episode. My god were those accents atrocious - especially the RCMP officer.

The accents were bad, but I will give kudos to the show for NOT trying to force the 'standard' Newfie accent. As for the Mountie's accent, it seemed like she was almost going for a Fargo-accent or something. Which actually might not be too surprising; one of the things the Mounties do is they move people around. You tend not to be posted in locations you grew up in. So she could very well have been from the prairies or something. 

On 2/22/2017 at 9:29 AM, BooksRule said:

They are scientists, and they are already interested in old stuff / archaeological stuff first (Crime solving second). So I had no problem with them getting excited about the discovery. It's a brand new, formerly unknown Viking settlement, possibly with descendants still alive. Anyone even tangentially interested in history and archaeology would be excited about the initial discovery. 

• Love 3