Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 2/20/2017

GHScorpiosRule
  • Start Topic

Monday: Lindsay Lohan; Darrell Hammond guest judges a Trump impersonator contest.

Tuesday: The Political View with Senator Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-NY)

Wednesday: Eva Longoria

Thursday: Dr. Henry Louis Gates Jr. ("Great African Civilizations")

Friday: "Guy Day Friday" includes guest co-host Howie Mandel

Huh. It seems nothing online gives any details about the shows. I'm so sure there will be more than one guest on the shows Tuesday-Friday. Schumer better not put up with any crap shit that Jedifoxbot will be spewing.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

They should have had Trevor Noah co-hosting last Friday instead of D.L Hughley. They need to stop reaching out to guys like Jason Biggs and Howie Mandel and instead try to get men like Anderson Cooper, Bill Maher, Don Lemon, etc. 

• Love 12

Anyone know what the symbol on the back of Whoopie's duster means?  I barely got a glimpse. 

4 hours ago, BaseOps said:

They should have had Trevor Noah co-hosting last Friday instead of D.L Hughley. They need to stop reaching out to guys like Jason Biggs and Howie Mandel and instead try to get men like Anderson Cooper, Bill Maher, Don Lemon, etc. 

They get who they can.  I am sure they would love to get those you mentioned.  I love Howie Mandel but not a meaty guest, I hear you on that one.  A little lightness is always welcome, for me, though.  

The second impersonator was good, he didn't over do it as Alec Baldwin does on SNL.   The third (winner) had good content but did not have his voice down consistently.  Maybe he will practice and get that down before the Laugh Factory. 

Clearly a slow day if I had this much to say about the comics!  LOL

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, BaseOps said:

... They need to stop reaching out to guys like Jason Biggs and Howie Mandel and instead try to get men like Anderson Cooper, Bill Maher, Don Lemon, etc. 

The only time I saw Anderson Cooper on The View, one of the women petted his hair (don't remember who, it was a long time ago with different personnel) -- so it may be that he's not eager to return.

• Love 1

I only watched part of today. Knew Jedibitch would pick Reagan as her fave President. Glad Whoopie shut her the fuck up when she was about to start on Obama. Not today Satan. You can live up Agent Orange's ass if you want to, but you will give Obama his due.

• Love 13

I  was genuinely disappointed no one mentioned Kevin Spacey, Julia Louis Dreyfus or Martin Sheen.

Yeah, odd choice to pick Reagan for Jedi-bullshit.

I thought it was weird that Joy mocked DH's wardrobe, especially with Whoopi at the table.  He didn't look bad at all.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

Those Trump impersonators were all really good. Funny stuff. 

Right before they were to announce the winner of the Trump impersonators - the show was interrupted by a news  item ---- so my question is, who won the contest??????

• Love 1

Lindsay Lohan never fails to bring up the "possibility" of a Mean Girls sequel......first of all, I doubt it will EVER happen, and at this point, wouldn't it be more of a Mean Menopausal Women? 

With parents like hers, the odds were already stacked against her but she was hired by a few shows (Ugly Betty) and her lack of any kind of a work ethic proved her a huge pain in the ass so she's not exactly blameless.

Oh yeah....Jed naming her favorite president - no surprises there.

• Love 3

Where's the outrage from Americans who don't realize how Congressional Republicans voting to overturn environmental laws allowing manufacturers to dump cancer causing, toxic chemicals into the air & our water sources will stop them from continuing to enjoy hiking, camping, hunting, swimming, boating & fishing at their favorite woodlands, forests, streams & waterways. Lack of environmental manufacturing regulations were found to be responsible for unusually high rates of cancer, in adults &  life-threatening birth-defects in children, living  in the Love Canal, NY area & allowed Pacific Gas & Electric to knowingly poison water supplies in California communities, causing the deaths of thousands of that state's residents, from rare, painful, deadly tumors?        You tell 'em Whoopie!

• Love 14

Jed? When will you just STFU about things that you KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!! She argued that the Republicans (i.e. Dump Truck in particular) AREN'T against clean air and water WHEN THEY ARE. It's common knowledge, to everyone but her, that they have not only repealed certain regulations, but the clown put in charge, has plans to pretty much, dismantle the EPA. And of course she jumped to Fox News' defense, while all the time, wearing that maniacal, idiot grin.

If you're going to try to defend the un-defendable (yes...I invented that) at least do your homework and get your bloody facts straight.

Is it obvious that I can't stand that woman?

• Love 22
15 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

She argued that the Republicans (i.e. Dump Truck in particular) AREN'T against clean air and water WHEN THEY ARE.

Maybe they're not "against clean air and water," but they don't want to do anything to preserve it or reverse any problems.  EGAD, am I defending the un-defendable Goddess of the Shiny Nose?

• Love 3

He's going to let coal companies dump waste into rivers. If that isn't a cause for concern.....

"Goddess of the Shiny Nose"....LOL!!! Good one!

Dump Truck and his Merry Band of Muckrakers will not be satisfied until there's nothing left but scorched earth.

• Love 7

Joy said that the president is a pathological liar.  As she said that the huge GRIN on Jed' s face made me furious.  I've noticed a few times that her facial expressions when Joy is speaking, reveal her utter lack of respect.  Her attitude toward Joy smacks of condescension, lime because of Joy' s age, Jed is not going to take her seriously.

Interesting because Joy and Trump are pretty close in age, and Jed can certainly show respect for the one who is clearly showing some signs of cognitive decline.

• Love 11

Best moment of today’s show was when Jedi was making some BS talking point in defense of Trump's full-on attack of free press about how “some people” see the media as biased and then Joy’s simple comment of “And Fox News is where it started” turned her absolutely feral. Seriously, I thought she was about to start foaming at the mouth. And that was after Joy already sent her over the edge by pointing out that Republicans aren't for clean air/water like everyone else here already mentioned.

I didn’t comment yesterday, but I thought I'd mention that Sara made a worthwhile point about how things have changed from when she was a child under Reagan and the fact that the president is not something you can look up to as a role model anymore with our new president.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, backformore said:

As she said that the huge GRIN on Jed' s face made me furious.

She does that CONSTANTLY and it has a similar effect on me. I thought her head would explode when Joy was slagging off Fox News. Well Jed..if you love it so much, then please, by all means, go back. Do us all a favor.

• Love 22

I guess we just have to keep shoving information about Love Canal & the deadly practices of Pacific Gas & Electric in their faces 24/7, but if that's too hard for those nimrods to comprehend......we can demand they read / or / watch the movie about the work of Erin Brockovich. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Best moment of today’s show was when Jedi was making some BS talking point in defense of Trump's full-on attack of free press about how “some people” see the media as biased and then Joy’s simple comment of “And Fox News is where it started” turned her absolutely feral. Seriously, I thought she was about to start foaming at the mouth. And that was after Joy already sent her over the edge by pointing out that Republicans aren't for clean air/water like everyone else here already mentioned.

I didn’t comment yesterday, but I thought I'd mention that Sara made a worthwhile point about how things have changed from when she was a child under Reagan and the fact that the president is not something you can look up to as a role model anymore with our new president.

I don't think they ever came back to report on whether Fox news started the bias and/or bias assertions.  Pre-cable, we didn't have news channels, or even news programs (I believe) that leaned left or right. Now we do, but to suggest all media is biased left is incorrect, it depends on the network/program.  I do blame people like Limbaugh and Hannity for making people believe that Trump is telling the truth and everyone else is lying.

• Love 7

Whoopi was really working my last nerve today, with the endless nodding along and "mmm-hmmm"ing Chuck Schumer like she knew all about and completely understood everything he was saying.  Gimme a break.  She can pass out her little Constitution booklets all she wants to (I wonder if she was surprised to see that it is more than just one page as she has implied before), but she has shown repeatedly that she understands the Constitution in only the most basic terms.  It just irks me to hear her uh-huh'ing the emoluments clause when I know she has no idea what it pertains to.  She needs to stick to making easy proclamations about freedom of this and freedom of that in keeping with her fourth grade level of understanding of the Constitution because she can't begin to make a convincing show of grasping the more sophisticated nuances of the document.  It's just embarrassing to see her try.

I will give you a million dollars if she really knows what the Citizen's United case was about. But she sat there nodding like Mr. Ed when Schumer mentioned it like she studied the Supreme Court opinion.   It was kind of Schumer to explain what he was talking about after he mentioned that case as well as the emoluments clause because otherwise I'm sure Whoopi would have had no idea what he was referring to.  I guess he is used to talking to people far less informed than himself after all his years in government and he knows how to make ignorant people feel comfortable without appearing to condescend to them.

I had to LOL when Schumer was talking about Supreme Court nominee Niel Gorsuch and Whoopi chimed in to say she is worried, too, because of "some of the things he is proposing in terms of ..." then she trailed off into some bland platitude about the importance of freedom of religion.  What the hell is Neil Gorsuch "proposing?"   He's a judge, not a politician.  Did she just use the entirely wrong word or something?  That's all I can figure because surely even Whoopi is not that ignorant or badly informed and thinks Gorsuch or any other SCOTUS candidate goes around "proposing" things.  Assuming that is the case and she just used the wrong word, I still can't imagine what she was actually referring to about Gorsuch.  Is there something in his past that troubles her, some court decision that he has handed down that bodes ill to Whoops?  Sorry, but I don't believe for a minute she has really familiarized herself with any of the opinions of Gorsuch.   I am sure if she had bothered to do that kind of "homework" she would have shared the specifics of her findings with the audience by now.  I just don't know what the hell she was trying to say with all that.  It felt like she just wanted to be a part of the conversation or something. She just sounded dumb.

And it's not just Whoopi pretending like she has has more than a basic understanding of the subjects that were discussed which bugged me today, either.  Although I am what you would probably consider a very liberal person, I am getting fed up with the tone of the show and the overriding vibe that the liberal perspective is the only right one.  And that message comes primarily from Whoopi.  I know it's called "The View" and all the panelists have one, I get that.  And lord know Joy is a lefty as they come and makes no bones about it.  But Whoopi is so damn preachy and superior when she expresses her opinion she manages to offend me even when I basically agree with her. She is just so damn intolerant.  Maybe it's because she is the moderator ... I just think the person in that role should be a little more neutral.  Joy manages to come across as slightly less biased when she sits in the moderator's chair.  But Whoopi can't.  She is just so insulting and condescending.  I thought the way she wrapped up the ending of the show today was fucking RIDICULOUS.   "Half of you don't get it, but half of you do" with a smug little smirk.  

This show may be called "The View" but that is not expressing your "view." That is rudely insulting the intelligence of half the viewing audience because they don't agree with you.  And coming from an obtuse, uninformed, lazy-minded blowhard like Whoopi Goldberg I would laugh if it didn't piss me off on behalf of the 50% of the audience she deems to be less perceptive than she is.  That is just a terrible insult, lol

I honestly don't know how anyone who doesn't completely agree with the overwhelmingly liberal tone of the show can stand to watch this mess any more.  Perhaps they watch for same reason I never miss FOX's "The Five."  I hate 99.9% of what they say, yet I am drawn to their snide, angry vitriol like a moth to a flame because I like to laugh at their outrage.  It amuses me.  Sadly, this show is starting to feel like the liberal version of that show, and I find myself watching just to laugh at the furious, self-righteous indignation of its moderator as she embarrasses herself almost every single day.  Somehow I don't think that is what Barbara Walters envisioned when she created this show twenty years ago.  

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Whoopi was really working my last nerve today, with the endless nodding along and "mmm-hmmm"ing Chuck Schumer like she knew all about and completely understood everything he was saying.  Gimme a break.  She can pass out her little Constitution booklets all she wants to (I wonder if she was surprised to see that it is more than just one page as she has implied before), but she has shown repeatedly that she understands the Constitution in only the most basic terms.  It just irks me to hear her uh-huh'ing the emoluments clause when I know she has no idea what it pertains to.  She needs to stick to making easy proclamations about freedom of this and freedom of that in keeping with her fourth grade level of understanding of the Constitution because she can't begin to make a convincing show of grasping the more sophisticated nuances of the document.  It's just embarrassing to see her try.

I will give you a million dollars if she really knows what the Citizen's United case was about. But she sat there nodding like Mr. Ed when Schumer mentioned it like she studied the Supreme Court opinion.   It was kind of Schumer to explain what he was talking about after he mentioned that case as well as the emoluments clause because otherwise I'm sure Whoopi would have had no idea what he was referring to.  I guess he is used to talking to people far less informed than himself after all his years in government and he knows how to make ignorant people feel comfortable without appearing to condescend to them.

I had to LOL when Schumer was talking about Supreme Court nominee Niel Gorsuch and Whoopi chimed in to say she is worried, too, because of "some of the things he is proposing in terms of ..." then she trailed off into some bland platitude about the importance of freedom of religion.  What the hell is Neil Gorsuch "proposing?"   He's a judge, not a politician.  Did she just use the entirely wrong word or something?  That's all I can figure because surely even Whoopi is not that ignorant or badly informed and thinks Gorsuch or any other SCOTUS candidate goes around "proposing" things.  Assuming that is the case and she just used the wrong word, I still can't imagine what she was actually referring to about Gorsuch.  Is there something in his past that troubles her, some court decision that he has handed down that bodes ill to Whoops?  Sorry, but I don't believe for a minute she has really familiarized herself with any of the opinions of Gorsuch.   I am sure if she had bothered to do that kind of "homework" she would have shared the specifics of her findings with the audience by now.  I just don't know what the hell she was trying to say with all that.  It felt like she just wanted to be a part of the conversation or something. She just sounded dumb.

And it's not just Whoopi pretending like she has has more than a basic understanding of the subjects that were discussed which bugged me today, either.  Although I am what you would probably consider a very liberal person, I am getting fed up with the tone of the show and the overriding vibe that the liberal perspective is the only right one.  And that message comes primarily from Whoopi.  I know it's called "The View" and all the panelists have one, I get that.  And lord know Joy is a lefty as they come and makes no bones about it.  But Whoopi is so damn preachy and superior when she expresses her opinion she manages to offend me even when I basically agree with her. She is just so damn intolerant.  Maybe it's because she is the moderator ... I just think the person in that role should be a little more neutral.  Joy manages to come across as slightly less biased when she sits in the moderator's chair.  But Whoopi can't.  She is just so insulting and condescending.  I thought the way she wrapped up the ending of the show today was fucking RIDICULOUS.   "Half of you don't get it, but half of you do" with a smug little smirk.  

This show may be called "The View" but that is not expressing your "view." That is rudely insulting the intelligence of half the viewing audience because they don't agree with you.  And coming from an obtuse, uninformed, lazy-minded blowhard like Whoopi Goldberg I would laugh if it didn't piss me off on behalf of the 50% of the audience she deems to be less perceptive than she is.  That is just a terrible insult, lol

Muttering to self and hobbling over to my bookshelves

'Must find my copy of The Constitution and read it again to refresh memory of emoluments before opening my mouth to add to conversation, hence not looking or sounding the fool.'

• Love 4

It's Trump. I guess even his name is too triggering now.

Just to be clear. I am mostly referring to the show. Whoopi won't even say his name. She needs to grow up. She's a host of a television show and she talks about hot topics. I haven't watched a lot lately, so I haven't noticed if any of the other hosts do or not. 

Edited by abstractstuff
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

They don't use his name as part of a recurring joke; it doesn't bother me. I actually like that Whoopi regularly refers to Bannon as the president. I'm glad they give Trump no respect whatsoever.

Yeah, but can you imagine how Whoops would have reacted if someone on the panel had made an ongoing point of refusing to say Obama's name and instead always made some disgusted random sound to signify they were referring to him, the way she does with Trump?  I'm fairly certain she (and the half of the audience who "gets it") would have shit a brick.  

You can only make a joke like that if you agree with Whoopi and her agenda.  Nobody else better try it! 

• Love 4

trump doesn't deserve any respect and it is questionable whether he is even a legitimate "president" so equating this with Obama is disingenuous. I don't blame Whoopi or Joy for not saying his name. Jedifoxbot should just come out of the republican closet.

• Love 21

I know that there are intelligent non-Foxbot conservatives in this country who can articulate why they feel the way they do and who can make their points in a calm and logical manner. (I'm related to at least one.) Why The View cannot seem to locate such a person for the panel vexes me.

• Jed is a knee-jerk oppositionist whose main debate talent is to talktalktalkwithouttakingabreath, thereby drowning out all other conversation.
  • Paula, I believe, thinks out why she feels the way she does, but she is a poor debater, always falling back on repeating the same phrase over and over, despite the fact that it does nothing to convince anyone.
  • Elisabeth "Word Salad" Hasselbeck was just a mess, bless her heart, with neither the convictions nor eloquence to defend her views.

On the liberal side, Joy, at least, can explain why she feels the way she does and has the knowledge to back it up, as well as strong convictions that she is correct. I have learned from her, particularly from her other shows that featured political discussions and guests with whom she actually disagreed. Lively and informative conversations were had, without malice. Too bad The View has no one but Joy who can defend and intelligently discuss, well, their views. Real conversation needs more than meme-talk!

• Love 7

Part of the #resistance is to not legitimize his presidency by calling him by name. Robert Reich recommends that he should be referred to as 45. I think that legitimizes him also. My history of presidents will skip from 44 to 46. Am I bitter? Hell yeah. Will I get over  it anytime soon? Not likely. So Im with Whoopi. For 8 years people referred to our legitimate president as Obama. Now it is President T****? Niope. It pains Joy to speak his name I think.

• Love 20
9 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I honestly don't know how anyone who doesn't completely agree with the overwhelmingly liberal tone of the show can stand to watch this mess any more.  Perhaps they watch for same reason I never miss FOX's "The Five."  I hate 99.9% of what they say, yet I am drawn to their snide, angry vitriol like a moth to a flame because I like to laugh at their outrage.  It amuses me.  Sadly, this show is starting to feel like the liberal version of that show, and I find myself watching just to laugh at the furious, self-righteous indignation of its moderator as she embarrasses herself almost every single day.  Somehow I don't think that is what Barbara Walters envisioned when she created this show twenty years ago.  

Do I think Whoopi should shut up and let others speak? Absolutely.  Do I wish she could actually articulate the point she is trying make without bloviating?  Yes, indeed.

And yet, in these dark troubling waters, I find myself shockingly appreciative that Whoopi is there. 

But, I still would like her to give time to Sunny et al.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, May Jacks said:

trump doesn't deserve any respect and it is questionable whether he is even a legitimate "president" so equating this with Obama is disingenuous. 

I think you misunderstood my post.  It's not really about what you (or I) think of Donald Trump's presidency vis-a-vis that of Barack Obama. It's about Whoopi thinking it's okay to be shitty about someone she doesn't care for but likely being unable to tolerate her fellow panelists showing the same kind of contempt for someone she approves of.  

The legitimacy of Trump's presidency is beside the point.  At least beside the point I was making.  

9 hours ago, abstractstuff said:

Whoopi won't even say his name. She needs to grow up. She's a host of a television show and she talks about hot topics.

I have to agree .... sitting on a national TV show and refusing to say his name comes across as a bit silly.  It is an empty gesture that doesn't change a thing and it is actually a little distracting.  Not to mention it gives his supporters something else to seize on to mock the panelists for doing.  They should just stick to discussing the issues and cut the useless, self-indulgent little protests already.  Their discussions about Trump's policies and actions would have a lot more gravitas and couldn't just be written off as coming from "cry babies" and "sore losers," as Trump's mouthpieces go around characterizing people who refuse to acknowledge Trump as POTUS.  They really undermine their own best points with this schtick and they need to get past it. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I think you misunderstood my post.  It's not really about what you (or I) think of Donald Trump's presidency vis-a-vis that of Barack Obama. It's about Whoopi thinking it's okay to be shitty about someone she doesn't care for but likely being unable to tolerate her fellow panelists showing the same kind of contempt for someone she approves of.  

Whoopi discounts anything anyone says that contradicts her beliefs, whether it's politics, child care, social media, celebrities' misdeeds, etc.  She'll cut off anyone who disagrees with her.  It's true she's intolerant of dissenting opinions in all matters.  "Listen.  Here's the thing..." does not make for good conversation.  (Except when she's putting an end to Jed's nonsense.)

• Love 8

When I post here I make sure to be accurate about whatever rant I go on.  You would think a co host of network television show could at least be bothered to do the same.  Whoopi tries way to hard to been seen as the wise old sage of the View.  She reminds me of the Damon Wayans character from In Living Color who would use big words without having any clue as to what they meant.  I'm pretty sure before Trump Whoopi thought emoluments was a face cream.

• Love 7

President Reagan repealed the Fairness Doctrine Act in 1987- making it possible for news to be unbalanced. So yes, I can understand why Jedi loves Reagan. 

• Love 11

I hope it doesn't take long before "Real Americans," realize this latest Republican propaganda about people protesting the actions of their state GOP senators & house members, during local town hall meetings, are all paid, bused-in, anti-Trump administration agitators is a load of c**p!   For example, when Pennsylvania's GOP Senator Pat Toomey is in town, he  absolutely refuses to meet with protesting constituents outside his Pittsburgh office.  He  then issues a statement saying he believes in free speech but protests like those outside his office accomplish nothing, then announces he's moving that office to an area of the city offering less access to PA voters trying to hold him accountable.

• Love 6