Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Kelda Feegle said:

just watched the Oasis pilot - I'm in!

The series blurb says the protagonist is a priest, but for whatever reason I wasn't expecting him to be a legitimate person of faith. It added an interesting element to the pilot.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

The series blurb says the protagonist is a priest, but for whatever reason I wasn't expecting him to be a legitimate person of faith. It added an interesting element to the pilot.

Normally this household avoids plots with religion but this one didn't grate. I suspect we are heading into sentience discovered territory and will be interested to see how it plays.

So Sleepy Hollow got cancelled, predictably. The wasted potential of what could have been for that show is truly tragic. How they treated Nicole Beharie/Abby was inexplicable.   I don't think I've ever seen a show start out that strongly and fall apart so quickly. I feel bad for Tom Mison, and hope he finds better work elsewhere. 

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I feel bad for Tom Mison, and hope he finds better work elsewhere. 

I'm really going to miss him and his charming character.  He (and Jenny) were what made the show worth sitting through after the inexplicably got rid of Nicole Beharie

• Love 3

I'm kind of bummed Pitch got cancelled although admittedly I haven't thought about it for months.  It had strong writing that generally avoided all the cliches of a woman in a man's world and had both actors and characters that were likeable.  I guess the concept of a woman succeeding in a job previously only available to men was too unrealistic for viewers last fall.

• Love 9

The Great Indoors has been cancelled.  I'm bummed, because Stephen Fry & Joel McHale were delightful.  Actually, the 3 Millenisls were good, too.  But the receptionist & Stephen Fry's daughter sucked.  They should've revamped it.  Part of the problem when they moved it to Monday's, was little advertisement or announcement.

But fricking Bull gets renewed?  Really?  Its Criminal Minds-lite, with an asshole lead character.

• Love 1

And despite mediocre ratings, season 29 of The Amazing Race arrived on the mat to get a 'Keep Racing' clue. I'm guessing CBS finds it a reliable replacement show they can drop into just about any time slot as needed rather than it having a fall time slot out of the gate. 

Regardless, I'm glad there will be a TAR 30. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, nosleepforme said:

I have been watching the trailers for the new fall shows and so far I am underwhelmed, it seems like the networks throw the same shit on the air every year. I figured they'd learn something from Netflix and realize that audiences like to see fresh and new ideas, but what do they order? Dynasty reboots and Castle wannabes. Sigh. Really hope there will be another Good Place this season, something a little more creative and exciting.

That being said, Netflix seems to be at it again. The trailer for GLOW dropped and it actually looks far better than I thought it would, it looks like it might have some serious binge-potential.

Yeah if Netflix, HBO, & Showtime can come up with original programming, lush sets, unique storylines & great writing, why can't the big Four (& the CW)?

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, AgentRXS said:

So Sleepy Hollow got cancelled, predictably.

I watched the season premiere of SH, and have not gotten around to watching any of the rest of season, which resides on my DVR. I guess I can just delete them now. 

6 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I have been watching the trailers for the new fall shows and so far I am underwhelmed, it seems like the networks throw the same shit on the air every year. I figured they'd learn something from Netflix and realize that audiences like to see fresh and new ideas, but what do they order? Dynasty reboots and Castle wannabes. Sigh. Really hope there will be another Good Place this season, something a little more creative and exciting.

That being said, Netflix seems to be at it again. The trailer for GLOW dropped and it actually looks far better than I thought it would, it looks like it might have some serious binge-potential.

I agree 100%. Last year around this time there were at least a few shows I was curious enough to want to see.  But these just fill me with apathy.

And yes, GLOW definitely looks better that I thought it would.

On ‎05‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Shannon L. said:

I'm really going to miss him and his charming character.  He (and Jenny) were what made the show worth sitting through after the inexplicably got rid of Nicole Beharie

I will miss having Ichabod on my tv, but the season finale did have a series finale feel to it, so at least it kind of felt wrapped up in a way.

• Love 2

Ok, I take back my previous comment.  I just watched some of the ABC trailers and I have to say, The Good Doctor starring Freddie Highmore looks rather good, The Crossing looks gives me a The 4400 crossed with Travelers vibe.  The Mayor actually looks charming.  And Deception looks like it could be either really cool or really cheesy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

The Crossing: Resurrection means Invasion meets Flash Forward meets The River meets The 4400? I don't know, this seems like one of those high concept premises that will fall apart after a couple of episodes if not in the pilot already and ABC hasn't had a particular good track record with genre stuff since Lost. It doesn't really help that the characters in the trailer look dull and little kids are rarely a good component in a genre show.

I'm not watching anything else high concept on ABC I don't care how good it looks. They burned me back in the day with Night Stalker and Invasion and I gave them a hard pass for years. I finally gave them a chance again with Forever and cancelled after one season, of course. The only show I watch on that network is Speechless. 

3 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Roseanne: I don't remember if I actually watched Roseanne as a kid, but my impression from this trailer is that it won't translate well into 2017. And I'm also not sure if this is going to be very successful, I don't think Roseanne is like Friends or Full House, I don't feel like it has grabbed an awful lot of younger fans in syndication over the years.

Roseanne?! I haven't heard anything about this, I had to go look it up. I will definitely watch this, I want to see how they fix it from the horrible last season of the show. Roseanne is one of my favorite comedies. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Not happy that The Great Indoors was cancelled.  Not exactly surprised but not happy.  

As for new pilots I checked some of the trailers and so far I likedThe Mayor  which looks funny and charming  and Ten Days In The Valley which looks creepy and right up my ally.

I have gotten tired of shows about people who are too good at their job so The Good Doctor is out.   And I might....might check out Roseanne just for curiosity sake.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

Roseanne: I don't remember if I actually watched Roseanne as a kid, but my impression from this trailer is that it won't translate well into 2017. And I'm also not sure if this is going to be very successful, I don't think Roseanne is like Friends or Full House, I don't feel like it has grabbed an awful lot of younger fans in syndication over the years.

I have to disagree with you there. I think Roseanne (if the reboot is done correctly) would absolutely be relevant in 2017.  There is no show out there right now that accurately reflects lower middle class life, and no show that could do it better than Roseanne in its prime.  It may not grab younger viewers, but it does have the nostalgia factor going for it---a lot of us grew up with Roseanne in the 90s, and are devout rerun watchers to this day. There is a reason that it has never really gone out of syndication.

The problem I have is that I'm not sure Roseanne Barr is capable of striking lightning in a bottle twice. The early seasons of the show were so great because she was just coming off from being a real blue-collar housewife herself, and made sure to keep the show true-to-life based on her own experiences. As she became more famous and fed into her own press, the show fell apart as the storylines got more outrageous and the characters became caricatures.  Roseanne Barr hasn't been blue-collar in a long time, and I am not sure she can be the voice of the 2017 working class, since she's so far removed from the actual struggle.  Her "updates" to the characters lives that she's given over the years come off as cliches.  Just reading the premise that Dan Conner "faked his death" in order for John Goodman to return to the show is already giving me Season 9 vibes. 

I'm willing to give it a shot though. Its only 8 episodes so if its extremely awful I can just block it out of my mind later.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 12
(edited)
On 5/14/2017 at 9:12 AM, Haleth said:

I'm kind of bummed Pitch got cancelled although admittedly I haven't thought about it for months.  It had strong writing that generally avoided all the cliches of a woman in a man's world and had both actors and characters that were likeable.  I guess the concept of a woman succeeding in a job previously only available to men was too unrealistic for viewers last fall.

It was revolutionary in that it was a sports show about a woman, and that a black woman was the main character.  It was very quietly revolutionary in those 2 ways. My only criticism of the show was that it was a bit cheesy.  Kylie would have become stronger as an actor with time.  It's a damn shame that the show was cancelled.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4

I am not sure about Roseanne.  It's one of those shows that could actually be very funny or very offensive or both depending on well...Roseanne.  

Its actually a very good time to write a sitcom about a working class blue collar family.  Trying to make it in an increasing complicated world.  

• Love 5
(edited)
12 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

Deception: Castle meets Magic. How much money is in the FBI budget for special consultants who shouldn't be on the payroll? The lead actor looks charming enough to carry the show and I chuckled at the assistant-line, but this looks more like another Castle/Bones/whatever-wannabe. It's fine to go after that audience, but not for me

...meets Psych? Meets Sleepy Hollow? Loved all of those shows, but the police tag along formula is wearing thin. 

4 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was revolutionary in that it was a sports show about a woman, and that a black woman was the female character.  It was very quietly revolutionary in those 2 ways. My only criticism of the show was that it was a bit cheesy.  Kylie would have become stronger as an actor with time.  It's a damn shame that the show was cancelled.

It was cheesy? OK, I guess I like cheese--if the characters are compelling. And that's what I loved about this show.  Baker and Lawson great main characters, and I always wanted to know what was going to happen next with them. The supporting cast was pretty good, and I’m sure the weaker elements of the show (the brother, the agent) could have gotten better over time. 

I think Pitch struggled to find its demographic, and that hurt its overall ratings. Who was supposed to be its audience? It didn’t appeal to most baseball fans--Even though Fox Sports was all over the show, baseball purists on the episode  thread complained that much of the baseball footage was unrealistic. And it started in the middle of baseball season, so even baseball fans who liked Pich didn’t mind missing it to watch real playoff baseball.

It didn’t appeal to most fans of family dramas/workplace dramas/romantic dramas, which it actually was, because, ewww, baseball. 

...taking the rest of my post to the Race and Ehtnicity thread. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's where things stand for the broadcast networks. From TV By The Numbers:

ABC

The Crossing: Refugees seek asylum in a small town — although they say they’re fleeing a war in the United States that hasn’t actually happened yet. Steve Zahn, Natalie Martinez and Sandrine Holt star in the show from creators Dan Dworkin and Jay Beattie (Scorpion, Revenge).

Deception: When an illusionist (Jack Cutmore-Scott) loses his career to scandal, he finds a way to redeem himself — via the FBI. The bureau recruits him to stage tricks that help catch criminals. Chris Fedak (Chuck, Forever) created the show.

For the People: A legal drama set in the U.S. District Court in New York City follows lawyers both in and out of the courtroom. It comes from Shondaland and Scandal writer-producer Paul William Davies.

The Good Doctor: A young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome (Freddie Highmore of Bates Motel) joins the staff at a hospital where he has to prove he’s capable of caring for patients despite being unable to read social cues. Based on a Korean show; House creator David Shore and Hawaii Five-0’s Daniel Dae Kim are executive producers

The Gospel of Kevin: Jason Ritter stars as a rootless guy whose life changes when a celestial being tasks him with a mission that could possibly save the world. Agent Carter’s Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters are the creators.

Inhumans: The Marvel title about a group of alien-human hybrid beings comes to TV (and IMAX theaters for the first two episodes). Anson Mount (Hell on Wheels), Serinda Swan (Graceland), Iwan Rheon (Game of  Thrones), Ken Leung (Lost, The Night Shift), Isabelle Cornish and Eme Ikwuakor lead the cast.

The Mayor: A young rapper (Brandon Micheal Hall) runs for mayor of his hometown as a way to boost his music career. Then he wins and has to figure out how to govern. Yvette Nicole Brown, Lea Michele, Bernard David Jones and Marcel Spears also star.

Splitting Up Together: Adapted by Suburgatory creator Emily Kapnek, the show stars Jenna Fischer and Oliver Hudson as a couple who reignite their relationship when they get divorced. Diane Farr, Bobby Lee and Lindsay Price also star.

Untitled Zach Braff (formerly Start Up): A journalist (Braff) decides to leave his stable job and start his own business. Inspired by the podcast StartUp, the show comes from former Scrubs writer-producer Matt Tarses. Braff also directed the pilot.

CBS

Instinct: A former CIA operative (Alan Cumming), now a professor, is drawn back toward his old life when the NYPD asks him for help catching a serial killer. The show is based on a forthcoming book by James Patterson.

SEAL Team: Follows an elite unit of Navy SEALs as it plans and executes dangerous missions. David Boreanaz (Bones) stars along with Max Theriot, Neil Brown Jr., A.J. Buckley, Toni Trucks and Jessica Pare; Ben Cavell (Justified) is the creator.

SWAT: A sergeant with the LAPD’s Special Weapons and Tactics unit (Shemar Moore, Criminal Minds) is torn between loyalty to his team and the people he grew up with in Los Angeles. Shawn Ryan (Timeless, The Shield) is executive producing the show from writer Aaron Thomas (CSI: NY).

Wisdom of the Crowd: A tech entrepreneur (Jeremy Piven) creates a crowdsourcing app to help solve his daughter’s murder and hopes to revolutionize law enforcement in the process. Richard T. Jones, Jake Matthews, Blake Lee, Natalia Tena and Monica Potter also star.

9JKL: Mark Feuerstein created and stars in this show in which he plays a guy living in the New York apartment where he grew up — with his parents (Linda Lavin and Elliott Gould) in the apartment on one side and his brother and sister-in-law (David Walton, Liza Lapira) and their baby on the other.

By the Book: Based on A.J. Jacobs’ book The Year of Living Biblically, it stars Jay R. Ferguson (The Real O’Neals, Mad Men) as a man who decides to live strictly by biblical rules, which turns out to be harder than he anticipates.

Me, Myself & I: The single-camera show tracks the life of one man over 50 years: as a teenager in the early ’90s, a 40-year-old in the present (Bobby Moynihan) and as a 65-year-old in 2042 (John Larroquette). Dan Kopelman (Galavant, Malcolm in the Middle) created it.

Young Sheldon: A Big Bang Theory spinoff following the life of the preteen Sheldon Cooper (Iain Arimtage, Big Little Lies) growing up in Texas. The cast also includes Zoe Perry (Scandal) as Sheldon’s mother, Lance Barber as his dad and Raegan Revord and Montana Jordan as his siblings.

The CW

Black Lightning: The network’s fifth DC superhero show centers on Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams, Hart of Dixie), a retired superhero turned teacher who’s pulled back into his former life. Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil (The Game, Being Mary Jane) created the show, which was initially developed at FOX before moving to The CW.

Dynasty: A reboot of the 1980s ABC soap from Gossip Girl EPs Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. Nathalie Kelley (The Vampire Diaries) plays Cristal, whose engagement to billionaire Blake Carrington (Grant Show) ruffles feathers in the family. The cast also includes Elizabeth Gillies, Alan Dale, Sam Adegoke, Robert Christopher Riley and Rafael de la Feuente.

Valor: Matt Barr (Sleepy Hollow) and Christina Ochoa (Animal Kingdom) lead the cast of this show set at a U.S. air base. The action centers on a group of helicopter pilots who fly clandestine missions and the investigation of one that went wrong. It comes from writer Kyle Jarrow.

Life Sentence: A young woman (Lucy Hale) previously diagnosed with terminal cancer finds out she’s not dying after all. She then has to reckon with some of the decisions she made when she thought she didn’t have much time left. Erin Cardillo and Richard Keith created it.

FOX

9-1-1: Angela Bassett will star in this series from Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk (American Horror Story, Glee) about the lives of first responders — police officers, paramedics and firefighters — who put their lives on the line to help others. FOX says it will be based on real-life experiences.

The Gifted: An X-Men-adjacent series from Marvel (and X-Men director Byran Singer) that centers on a family whose lives are upended when the kids (Natalie Alyn Lind, The Goldbergs, and Percy Hynes White) start to display mutant powers. Amy Acker and Stephen Moyer play their parents. Matt Nix (Burn Notice, APB) is the showrunner, and Singer directed the pilot and is an executive producer.

The Orville: Seth MacFarlane’s first live-action show for FOX is a sci-fi series set on a mid-level exploratory spaceship probing the galaxy in the 25th century. MacFarlane stars as the captain of the Orville, with Adrianne Palicki (Friday Night Lights, Agents of SHIELD) as his ex-wife and first officer. Jon Favreau directed the pilot.

The Resident: A senior resident at a hospital (Matt Czuchry, The Good Wife, Gilmore Girls) takes a new doctor (Manish Dayal) under his wing and shows the rookie all that’s good and bad about 21st century medicine. Bruce Greenwood, Emily VanCamp and Shaunette Wilson also star in the show from writers Amy Holden Jones, Hayley Schore and Roshan Sethi.

Ghosted: A true believer (Adam Scott) and a skeptic (Craig Robinson) are recruited by a government agency to investigate a wave of paranormal occurrences in Los Angeles. Ally Walker and Adeel Akhtar also star; Tom Gormican (That Awkward Moment) created the show.

LA to Vegas: The ensemble show follows a group of people — crew and passengers who make a weekly flight from Burbank to Las Vegas in hopes of striking it rich. Dylan McDermott, Ed Weeks (The Mindy Project), Kim Matula, Olivia Macklin, Nathan Lee Graham and Peter Stormare star; Lon Zimmet (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt) is the creator.

NBC

The Brave (formerly For God and Country): Follows a group of military operatives who put themselves in peril and make personal sacrifices to undertake secret missions behind enemy lines. Anne Heche and Mike Vogel lead the cast; Dean Georgaris (The Manchurian Candidate) created the show.

Good Girls: Three women struggling to make ends meet hatch a plan to rob a supermarket, which of course leads to much bigger problems. Retta (Parks and Recreation) and Mae Whitman (Parenthood) play two of the three leads; the third part is being recast. Jenna Bans (Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy) created the series.

Reverie: A former hostage negotiator (Sarah Shahi, Person of Interest) who left the job after a personal tragedy is pulled into a new line of work: Rescuing people who have become lost in a sophisticated virtual-reality program. From Extant creator Mickey Fisher; also starring Dennis Haysbert, Jessica Lu, Sendhil Ramamurthy and Kathryn Morris.

Rise: Based on the book Drama High by Michael Sokolove, it follows a high school drama teacher in an economically depressed town and the students he inspires. The cast includes Josh Radnor, Rosie Perez, Auli’i Cravalho (Moana) and Shannon Purser (Stranger Things). Jason Katims (Parenthood, Friday Night Lights) adpated the book and executive produces the show.

A.P. Bio: A philosophy scholar (Glenn Howerton, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia) fails to get a dream job and finds himself stuck teaching high school biology. He then uses the honor students in his class for his own gain. Saturday Night Live veteran Mike O’Brien created the show.

Champions: Gym owner Vince (Anders Holm) and his gorgeous idiot brother Michael (Andy Favreau) have their lives upended when an ex of Vince’s (co-creator Mindy Kaling, who will be an on-screen guest star) shows up with their teenage son. Kaling and fellow Office alum Charlie Grandy created the show.

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Even though Fox Sports was all over the show, baseball purists on the episode  thread complained that much of the baseball footage was unrealistic.

I've been watching baseball every day of the season for the past 5+ years, and no it wasn't.  I thought it was absolutely fine.  I was never watching the show and suddenly shocked into thinking "OMG, am I watching baseball???"  I always knew that I was.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, topanga said:

...meets Psych? Meets Sleepy Hollow? Loved all of those shows, but the police tag along formula is wearing thin. 

Just from the description, my first thought was The Mentalist. Either way, it's yet another iteration of the formula.

• Love 1

Let's hope some of these shows turn out being fine, but really, the pitches are not attractive at all. Is the elevator pitch only targeted at producers? shouldn't there be an equivalent pitch to hook viewers?

• Love 1

One of life's great mysteries is how Dylan McDermott manages to get cast in a new (usually terrible) pilot every single year.

Thanks @Lord Donia for listing the rundown of all the network shows!  The only one that sounds even the tiniest bit worth checking out to me is Good Girls.  I loved Retta on Parks & Rec.

And not that I would've watched Reverie anyway, because it sounds awful, but casting Kathryn Morris?  I was at a Cold Case premiere party with the entire cast once, and she was....well, charm-free is the nicest way I could put it.

• Love 1

A few shows sound slightly promising -- and I will duly trudge through all of them in hopes of finding a small diamond -- but I didn't stick with a single new show from last Fall, so odds aren't good.

Instinct: I enjoy Alan Cummings but serial killers are my least favorite killers, so it's a lot to ask.

The Orville might be okay, just because I generally like sci fi. Bad title, though.

• Love 1
On 5/17/2017 at 2:18 PM, Lord Donia said:

SEAL Team: Follows an elite unit of Navy SEALs as it plans and executes dangerous missions. David Boreanaz (Bones) stars along with Max Theriot, Neil Brown Jr., A.J. Buckley, Toni Trucks and Jessica Pare; Ben Cavell (Justified) is the creator.

David Boreanaz is obviously trying to break Kelsey Grammer's record for consecutive years on television. Who would've guessed that he'd have the steadiest career out of Buffy alums?

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

David Boreanaz is obviously trying to break Kelsey Grammer's record for consecutive years on television. Who would've guessed that he'd have the steadiest career out of Buffy alums?

He wasn't first choice. Jim Caviezel was first cast to play that role, but then it was recast with Boreanaz.?

I'm bummed because I was looking forward to seeing Caviezel back on my screen!?

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/17/2017 at 0:17 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

It was revolutionary in that it was a sports show about a woman, and that a black woman was the main character.  It was very quietly revolutionary in those 2 ways. My only criticism of the show was that it was a bit cheesy.  Kylie would have become stronger as an actor with time.  It's a damn shame that the show was cancelled.

Aside from what everyone else has said - I'm a baseball fan too and if there is ONE professional sport in which women could plausibly play against men on a professional level that sport IS baseball. It's not (except by accident) a contact sport. It's a sport in which little short guys like Phil Rizzuto and Yogi Berra, big fat guys like Tony Gwynn , Babe Ruth, and David Ortiz, and tall skinny guys like Randy Johnson and Noah Syndergaard have  all excelled - so there is no height-weight-strength-body type barrier to be broken here.   I'm STILL hoping that I live long enough to see MLB recognize this and start hiring women players - and I hoped that this show would get more people thinking about it in a serious way.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 8

I just watched the trailer for Life Sentence.  I think the pilot will turn out to be fairly silly but I also think that this could be one of those shows that ends up being awesome.  It depends on how they go from what the pilot sets up.  It's a solid premise and I find Lucy Hale charming so I'm hopeful. 

• Love 2

Chicago Justice has been cancelled after one season.  

There goes plans for Chicago News, Politics, or Sports.

(Though I never watched it, I hope Jon Seda goes back to PD.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Apparently WGN Network which was formerly a promising new network for scripted tv has cancelled the rest of its original shows.  Both Underground and Outsiders are done.   I think the parent company of WGN was bought out and the company who bought it figured WGN was a good dumping ground for old shows like MASH.  Not that MASH isn't a wonderful show but when you put out some good scripted shows and then suddenly don't it is painful.  At least Salem got an ending even though many people didn't like it.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

Hey two posts in a row...I guess this doesn't get much traction since I didn't post since June.  Anywho.....

Netflix has cancelled Gypsy after one season.  I know it was an acquired taste show but it had potential especial when dealing with the main characters daughter.  Plus one of the reasons I use to like Netflix was that it didn't cancel shows after one season.  It didn't act like "normal" network shows  Now it is starting to which is a pity.  

Plus this article annoys me.  https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/08/netflix-gypsy-canceled

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Plus one of the reasons I use to like Netflix was that it didn't cancel shows after one season.  It didn't act like "normal" network shows  Now it is starting to which is a pity.  

I didn't watch Gypsy and don't particularly care but it also scares me that Netflix is taking the one-and-done route.   I wish they'd at least do the HBO route of trying to get a movie out of shows whose endings weren't predicted when their "final" episode aired but with more regularity than HBO. 

• Love 2

Netflix has always been a weird animal.   All other networks put out their viewership records.  If a show is low on viewership you can see the writing on the wall and kinda expect a cancellation.  However Netflix is notorious for not letting anyone know how they decide on what shows get renewed and which ones.....well are suddenly not.  Reed Hastings says he wants to take more risks but then cancels some of the riskiest shows on his roster and keeps others that could be straight off of network tv.   He talks about "hit ratio"  being too high.....is that bad or good?   Why does he want a higher cancellation rate?  If its to save money on an admiringly expensive show like Sense8 that is one thing but to cancel a show because he wants a higher cancelation rate overall seems very......networky to me.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
41 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

He talks about "hit ratio"  being too high.....is that bad or good?

I agree with most of what you said but I interpreted his "hit ratio" comment as meaning that everything got renewed so it gave the impression that everything was a "hit."  (And let's face it, the bar is set pretty low these days so that anything that gets a second season is advertised as a 'hit.') That obviously wasn't the case.  There were likely series that weren't viewed all that much and didn't bring in new subscribers yet they got another season because that's just what Netflix did.

Netflix is getting to the point where they probably want to put money behind shows that will increase their subscriber base and not having those shows that don't have critical or audience support. Probably an HBO-type model for deciding who gets another season.

But that presents the gunshy viewer problem as well.  Will viewers give Netflix series that look to be ongoing their eyeballs now that they look cancellation happy?

At least Netflix has accurate statistics for user views and dropouts to make renewal decisions. They don't ask for any demographic data except if a user is 12 or under in order to restrict content, so apparently they don't even care that I'm not in the almighty 18-49 range.

I don't begrudge them their financial decisions to cancel low-viewership original content, just like the networks do. (But then, I didn't like Sense8, or Gypsy. I do heave a somewhat gusty sigh when they remove old series like X Files before I'm done watching.)

Streaming is kind of a mess now. The CW, Comedy Central and CBS pulled out of Hulu in the last year and they may be in trouble as a company if they continue to lose licensing for current shows. That's one of the big draws for cord-cutters.

It'll be interesting to see how CBS does with its own platform. How much money did they spend on infrastructure, plus having to build (or outsource) an entire customer/technical support and billing system, all for a very limited number of shows? They've gotta be taking a bath.

Edited by 2727
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

They don't ask for any demographic data except if a user is 12 or under in order to restrict content, so apparently they don't even care that I'm not in the almighty 18-49 range. 

That's because the 18-49 demo is important for advertisers. Services that don't get advertising income don't care about the demo. Older subscribers pay the same amount as younger ones. So the only reason why they might prefer younger subscribers is because they'll stay subscribers longer (if everybody stays a subscriber until they die). This applies not only to Netflix but also to premium cable networks like HBO.

• Love 5

ABC's The Good Doctor (which is co-executive produced by Daniel Dae Kim & his production company) & CBS' SEAL Team, starring David Boreanaz, & Young Sheldon are the first 3 shows to get full season pickups for 2017-2018's TV season. 

Edited by BW Manilowe
Because in the Navy, it's SEAL, not Seal. You'd think I'd remember after watching Hawaii Five-0 for going on 8 seasons. Also to add a show I forgot.
  • Love 3