Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

CBS has lowered the episode order for CSI (original) from 22 to 18, so I'm guessing it's circling the drain - maybe not this season, but probably next.

I read someone post elsewhere that this was mostly done to accommodate The Mentalist and the new CSI Spin off, CSI: Cyber.  The Mentalist gets similar ratings, even on it's way out, so they weren't losing out by ceding time to it, and  I guess they're hoping to maybe transition traditional CSI fans to another younger sibling (remember, that's failed at least once though).

• Love 1

Bad Judge and A to Z are both cancelled, though they will complete their original episode order:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/bad-judge-canceled-a-to-z-1201344661/

Hmm, while it mostly seemed inevitable, I'd been wondering if they were waiting for Gracepoint to vacate FOX's comparable slot and see what that did to the numbers.  Then again, maybe they were simply waiting for Elementary on CBS (which I bet decimated them) and that was the final nail.

I think Bad Judge and A to Z had slim chances just based on The Blacklist already having their time slot in February. If they were going to get a full season, NBC would have to find a new time slot for them.

Bad Judge and A to Z are both cancelled, though they will complete their original episode order:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/bad-judge-canceled-a-to-z-1201344661/

I love me some Kate Walsh. Addison on Grey's was very missed when she was spun-off to Private Practice. I was an on/off viewer of PP only b/c of her. I was glad to hear that she had another show. But anyone who saw Bad Judge had to know it was a goner. I watched ep 1 and it was ridiculously bad. I only watched 10mins of ep 2...and that was only b/c I like her so much. She has a lot of fans so i'm sure she'll get another shot soon. But seriously. Bad Judge was smokin' bad.

No new eps are being ordered for Selfie, so that show's done. 

What a craptastic show. Trying to out-hip the hip w/a woefully miscast show. Both leads seem like good actors, but this was not the roles, or show for them. The pilot was actually up on demand for weeks before it premiered, so I had already watched it. It was sooo doomed. It was cartoon bad. lol. I can't believe it even lasted as long as it did. I'm still not sure how it even made the air.

My money is on CBS' Stalker for next to go. Maggie Q and Dylan McDermott have great chemistry but the show is missing something. They seem to have said screw good scripts and plotting. Instead going with loads of violence. I am not opposed to violence, but it needs to feel necessary to the story, and not in place of the story.

My money is on CBS' Stalker for next to go. Maggie Q and Dylan McDermott have great chemistry but the show is missing something. They seem to have said screw good scripts and plotting. Instead going with loads of violence. I am not opposed to violence, but it needs to feel necessary to the story, and not in place of the story.

Stalker was already picked up for a full season.

That's going in Parenthood's slot, I thought.

No, The Blacklist is going at 9, with Allegiance at 10.

I can't even remember another instance where a network renewed a show for S2 and then axed it a few episodes in.  So I'm shocked about The Millers.

And I wonder if syndication deals can be broken?  Elementary pulled a 1.0 for their last new episode.  A 1.0.  Yikes.

• Love 1

In a really surprising development, CBS has cancelled The Millers. Ratings were bad, but after it got a second season with ratings that clearly relied on its Big Bang Theory lead-in, I figured it would get the four seasons needed for syndication.

This is interesting. I never watched the Millers because it looked pretty bad. Hopefully this will mean Greg Garcia can move on and get back to creating something awesome (I loved My Name is Earl and Raising Hope). Then again that guy seems to have terrible luck trying to get a show to 5 seasons.

• Love 1
The show was boring, it had nothing new to say and Latifah refused to even allude to the elephant in the room, it's shocking this shit was even picked up.

What elephant in the room?   That she's gay?  I hope not because  if a host is straight, they don't have to allude to that.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I can't even remember another instance where a network renewed a show for S2 and then axed it a few episodes in.  So I'm shocked about The Millers.

I'm a little surprised too but if they were pulling in awful ratings, I guess it's to be expected.  As for canceling a show early in its second season--NBC renewed Southland and then cancelled it before they aired any of the episodes they had filmed for the second season.  Luckily, TNT picked it up.

• Love 1

I'm a little surprised too but if they were pulling in awful ratings, I guess it's to be expected.  As for canceling a show early in its second season--NBC renewed Southland and then cancelled it before they aired any of the episodes they had filmed for the second season.  Luckily, TNT picked it up.

True, but I believe NBC cancelled Southland because they thought it was too violent to be shown at 9pm.  That was the year some "genius" at NBC thought it was a good idea to put Jay Leno on every night at 10pm.  

A lot of those were ordered to series before a pilot was even shot. It’s supposed to save costs on high concept shows money but recently it’s meant networks order expensive concepts before seeing how any footage actually comes across.

Members Only sounded a fairly generic show of the kind that ABC hasn't exactly had too much success without the years. 

This should shake up the cancellation pool a bit: The CW has just given early renewals to a bunch of shows.

The renewed shows are:

The Flash (duh)

Jane the Virgin (OMG YAY)

The Originals (not surprised)

Reign (pleasant surprise, was expecting this one to be a casualty)

The 100 (don't really care about this one way or the other, but I'm sure it's a pleasant surprise for the fans since it was also on the bubble)

The Arrow (no shit)

The Vampire Diaries (JFC LET IT DIE ALREADY)

Supernatural (JFC LET IT DIE ALREADY x2)

I wonder what this means for the two mid-season shows, iZombie and The Messengers, because this gives the CW a pretty full plate. There's also Hart of Dixie, but I think most people assume that this is its final season, even if it hasn't been officially stated? And there's Beauty and the Beast, but I have no idea what the hell is going on with that one. 

• Love 2

There's also Hart of Dixie, but I think most people assume that this is its final season, even if it hasn't been officially stated?

The season premiere aired just before Christmas with the Jane the Virgin winter finale... and went immediately into hiatus. Ratings were flat, which isn't good considering that Monday night ratings are much better without HoD on.

For some reason I thought this was Supernatural's final season.  I guess I was mistaken.

It seems the kind of show where they should be planning a graceful exit, but instead are bleeding it dry until the corpse falls apart from the rot.

The sad thing is that Supernatural is still one of the CW's highest rated shows after The Flash and maybe Arrow. And with the announcement of an eleventh season, SPN has now overtaken Smallville as the longest running CW show ever. I think I heard that it's also in contention for the longest running genre show ever. 

Jared and Jensen seem content to play in the Winchester sandbox for as long as they can - guess I can't blame them, it's a steady paycheck - so as long as the ratings keep up, we'll be seeing many more seasons of SPN. At least with The Vampire Diaries, several of the core cast members seem pretty much over it. 

• Love 2

Ryan Seacrest Fired: ‘Knock Knock Live’ Canceled After Two Episodes

FOX has pulled the plug on Knock Knock Live starring Ryan Seacrest. This is the second major flop for the American Idol host.

Back in 2013, Seacrest headlined The Million Second Quiz on NBC to much fanfare but it didn’t get traction in the ratings.

Knock Knock Live fared even worse. According to THR:

The Ryan Seacrest-hosted wish-fulfillment series bowed to a 0.6 ratings and 1.75 million viewers July 21, one of the network’s lowest series debuts ever. Week two, which included a Justin Bieber cameo, scored a 0.5 in the coveted demo, with an even more dismal 1.6 million total viewers.

(I don't think we yet have a targeted topic for this upcoming season as a whole, but if I am wrong someone admin-y please merge them, I guess)

Keep it general, I'd say (a few sentences per show at most), since there are individual forums for most upcoming shows. Just give us an overall sense of what you hotly anticipate, what you will avoid like the plague, and finally what you will from afar wonder why people are freaking out about...

(edited)

Here's some from me:

The positive list is easy. I'm actually surprised how much I am looking forward to Supergirl, after that great (leaked) Pilot. I really do think they're going to do a good job on this.

Next winter, The X-Files.  Nuff said.

The Muppets. Nuff said.

Stephen Colbert on Network TV.  Yes, I'll miss the Colbert Report, but I have faith in Stephen. His network show will be great.

The MTV Shannara series coming in January is getting almost no mention, but looks spectacular. I wasn't even a fan of the books after the first 3 of them, but the trailer/first look looks AMAZING.

Similarly, the upcoming HBO redo of Westworld seems to be getting almost no attention, but the new teaser makes it look intriguing. And goddam it, the names attached ALONE ought to be drawing tons of attention. Created/produced/directed by Jonathan Nolan. Starring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris, James Marsden, Miranda Otto, Thandie Newton, and Evan Rachel Wood.  That's an INSANE cast. Totally bonkers big.

Returning Shows: Season 2 of Galavant.  Looking forward to this SO much.  Season 3 of The Goldbergs. Series 9 of Doctor Who. Season 2 of IZombie.

Have to think more about what's coming up I'm dreading or already tired of hearing about.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

Returning Shows: Season 2 of Galavant.  Looking forward to this SO much.  Season 3 of The Goldbergs. Series 9 of Doctor Who

Wow, is Galavant coming back?  If so, this is terrific news.  I'm not looking forward to much that I've seen/heard about for next season, but all three of these are definitely on the list.

I wasn't sure I was going to stick with Game of Thrones after the disappointment that was most of season 5, but I've heard some casting news which intrigues me, so I'm seriously considering being there in the spring.

Wow, is Galavant coming back? If so, this is terrific news. I'm not looking forward to much that I've seen/heard about for next season, but all three of these are definitely on the list.

I wasn't sure I was going to stick with Game of Thrones after the disappointment that was most of season 5, but I've heard some casting news which intrigues me, so I'm seriously considering being there in the spring.

I follow Timothy Omundson on Twitter, because I was a Psych fan; as you may know he now plays the King (King Richard, aka "King Dick" according to some) on Galavant. He Tweeted on August 5th he was back in London to start working on the 2nd season of the show--recording the songs, etc. I thought he also Tweeted, at some other point, that the show would begin airing again in January, but either I can't find the Tweet or I'm just plain wrong about that.

I'm looking forward to seeing that. I'm also looking forward to seeing S6 of Hawaii Five-0. I don't think I've come up with any first-year shows I'm anxious to see, yet. OK, I just remembered 1. Jane Lynch & Maggie Lawson's new show, Angel from Hell, which starts on CBS in early November after CBS' slate of Thursday night NFL games ends.

Edited by BW Manilowe

A few other new shows I'm looking forward to: The Muppets; Rob Lowe's new show, The Grinder, & Dr. Ken.

I'm not watching the last 1 as much for the premise (it's based on the real life of actor Ken Jeong, who was a practicing, licensed, physician before/I think simultaneously with becoming an actor) as I am for 1 of the cast members. Dr. Ken's son is being played by young actor Albert Tsai, whose "breakout" role was "Bert", the adopted, Chinese-born, son of Bradley Whitford's & Michaela Watkins' characters in 2013-2014's Trophy Wife, which aired on ABC. I sort of "fell in love" with Albert Tsai while watching that. I get that he's playing a different character here, but the new character looks somewhat similar to Bert (from previews I've seen on TV), so I'm watching the show.

Edited by BW Manilowe

I'm not watching the last 1 as much for the premise (it's based on the real life of actor Ken Jeong, who was a practicing, licensed, physician before/I think simultaneously with becoming an actor) as I am for 1 of the cast members. Dr. Ken's son is being played by young actor Albert Tsai, whose "breakout" role was "Bert", the adopted, Chinese-born, son of Bradley Whitford's & Michaela Watkins' characters in 2013-2014's Trophy Wife, which aired on ABC. I sort of "fell in love" with Albert Tsai while watching that. I get that he's playing a different character here, but the new character looks somewhat similar to Bert (from previews I've seen on TV), so I'm watching the show.

Dr. Ken better be a lot better in execution than it seemed in the early promo material then. It seemed just AWFUL from that.  Just the worse kind of forced shitty boilerplate sitcom stuff. Even the diversity arguments break down somewhat when the product seems to rely on the same awful tropes.

IMO this just seems... baaaaaad.  That said, I agree he's a cute kid.

http://youtu.be/mTqGbbzxI-I

• Love 1

I watch little network tv these days, but it seems that every time I have NBC on they are constantly running commercials for the new show with the girl with the tattoos.  (Ad fail, after all the commercials I still don't know the name of the show.)  I've complained about NBC doing this before; every summer they run so many damn commercials for their new shows that I'm already sick of them and won't watch because of that.  

There are also too many Heroes commercials, and I won't watch that either but on the basis that the first run was stupid.

• Love 1

I watch little network tv these days, but it seems that every time I have NBC on they are constantly running commercials for the new show with the girl with the tattoos.  (Ad fail, after all the commercials I still don't know the name of the show.)  I've complained about NBC doing this before; every summer they run so many damn commercials for their new shows that I'm already sick of them and won't watch because of that.  

There are also too many Heroes commercials, and I won't watch that either but on the basis that the first run was stupid.

What's a commercial?

• Love 4

I watch little network tv these days, but it seems that every time I have NBC on they are constantly running commercials for the new show with the girl with the tattoos. (Ad fail, after all the commercials I still don't know the name of the show.) I've complained about NBC doing this before; every summer they run so many damn commercials for their new shows that I'm already sick of them and won't watch because of that.

The show about the girl with the tattoos (which apparently are clues to cases or something involving an FBI agent) is called Blindspot. It supposedly has a lot of "buzz"/hit potential.

Blindspot has Sullivan Stapleton.  The Player has Philip Winchester.  These two actors had an amazing chemistry in Strike Back, so I will not quite so happily watch them separately on new shows...  At least they are on the same network, so no counter-programming.

I've already dropped one new series, sight unseen but TCA description read: Wicked City.  I just can not fan a serial killer, let alone a coupled pair.  And this may be my make or break for all three Chicago Wolf series.  Fire still has me for the supporting characters and the nostalgia it is generating for Emergency!  PD still has me for Jason Beghe.  Med would have been a slam dunk with the cast as presented a year ago (Dylan Baker!), but who knows?  I do know it will be an all or none decision for me, as I'm already fast-forwarding through massive amounts of Gabby.

At the beginning of the summer, there were a lot of new shows coming out that I was looking forward to, but, I no longer am because I'm watching too many already.  I can't find the time to fit more in right now.  Hopefully, if they're good, they'll end up on Netflix or Amazon Prime eventually and I'll get the watch them when my other ones come to an end.  I am, however, interested in The Muppets, for nostalgia's sake and I'd like to try Rosewood, if I can find the time, because it looks like something the whole family might like. Hopefully, they are both good.  And if they are, hopefully, we can fit them into our viewing schedule.

The show about the girl with the tattoos (which apparently are clues to cases or something involving an FBI agent) is called Blindspot. It supposedly has a lot of "buzz"/hit potential.

After each episode of Hannibal instead of running previews for The next episode it runs previews for Blindspot which makes me not want to watch it. Bitter Hannibal fan here.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I thought he also Tweeted, at some other point, that the show would begin airing again in January, but either I can't find the Tweet or I'm just plain wrong about that.

I follow Tim on Twitter too and I don't remember him tweeting a start date.  I also listen to the Nerdist podcast and a few weeks ago he had Scott Weigner on.  Scott is mostly known as the non-singing voice of Aladdin in the movie and other sundry. But he's now mostly a TV writer and writes for Galavant.  They got a bigger season order (10 eps--yay) but when he recorded the podcast at least, he didn't know when they'd air.  There was the potential to air them during the OUAT break but next summer is also possible.

That trailer looks amazing to me....if it were a movie.  As a series, I fear it'll be as disappointing as Blacklist turned out to be. 

I used to plan my fall viewing habits in advance but now I'm still trying to sort my way through catching up on online shows and my summer viewing. 

Blindspot reminds me of a show from some time back--I think it was called John Doe--about a man who woke up naked in the middle of nowhere with nothing and no idea of his identity, but had knowledge of just about everything else. I don't remember what network it was even on, but remember thinking the concept had possibilities. Unfortunately, I didn't get that same feeling from the trailer for Blindspot. Maybe it's just that I'm weary of these big conspiracy type shows lately, but it didn't feel like something I hadn't already seen before.

• Love 1

Yes! John Doe was exactly I thought when I saw the description of Blindspot. It really seems like a premise that would work much better as a limited series.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1