Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

24 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I hope they don't make Darren too much of an asshole. It was really hard at times to understand why Samantha would put up with him when she clearly could do so much better. Even if she still wanted to marry mortal so many more would have treated her so much better. 

Assuming they include the Larry Tate character (Darrin’s boss), I hope they tone down how much of a jerk he could be—showing up at the Stephens’ house unannounced, & usually at a VERY bad time as far as not finding out somehow about Samantha being a witch is concerned; inviting himself & his wife Louise, along with the client, & possibly others, to the Stephens’ house for drinks &/or dinner (& finding other ways to inconvenience them without ever sincerely apologizing for any of it), usually at the last minute; promising Darren a promotion &/or threatening him with being fired, or actually firing him, depending on how well the ideas for the client’s account were received; taking all the credit for the ideas if they worked &/or telling the client it was all Darrin’s idea, & only his, if the ideas tanked.

I figure they’ll have Tabitha in the show. I hope they don’t forget she had a little brother, Adam, who was born towards the end of the series (I think because of 1 of Elizabeth Montgomery’s real life pregnancies being written in) but really not seen all that much before it ended—they did manage to get the character aged up from a baby to a very young child actor with occasional lines in some scenes though. And I hope we find out for sure whether he’s a warlock or not. I think the character may have been tested by the Witches’ Council, or whomever, before the show ended but it always seemed to me that they left it at least somewhat ambiguous as to whether or not he actually was a warlock, or if he was gonna grow up to be another Darrin, as far as his tolerance for his sister & mother using their witchcraft abilities is concerned.

The actors & actresses who played most of Samantha’s relatives—her parents, Aunt Clara, & Uncle Arthur, specifically, & also Dr. Bombay, Samantha’s Witch Doctor, & Esmerelda, Alice Ghostley’s character, who was like a housekeeper &/or nanny for the kids towards the end of the series—made those characters rather colorful. I hope they can get close to matching that with whomever they cast in those roles if they’re in the Pilot or if they’re in once they go to series. Same with whomever they cast to play the nosy neighbor, Mrs. Gladys Kravitz, & her disinterested, disbelieving husband, Abner; & Darrin’s parents, although they weren’t really that colorful.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I figure they’ll have Tabitha in the show. I hope they don’t forget she had a little brother, Adam, who was born towards the end of the series (I think because of 1 of Elizabeth Montgomery’s real life pregnancies being written in)

Tabitha’s existence is also because of a pregnancy being written into the show. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Can we get Nicole Beharie as Samantha and Tom Mison as Darren or is it still too soon? Perhaps ABC could treasure what Fox could not.

This would be the only way I'd watch this. Otherwise, hard pass. I hated this show the first time around.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I can see the attraction -- shadowy organization playing the long game by exerting subtle manipulation on humanity for its own good -- but it might be hard to make it exciting. 

This is like the theme of Mr. Robot and that worked pretty well.

3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

When they SORASed Tabitha and Adam into the "Tabitha" series, Tabitha was a witch but Adam was mortal.

Yes, but at least theoretically they could Un-SORAS the kid or kids, & make Adam a warlock this time; & I did notice (or swear I did) that they said the new Samantha was gonna be a single mom with a kid. So maybe she has Tabitha before meeting Darrin.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
On 8/23/2018 at 9:20 PM, AgentRXS said:

Can we get Nicole Beharie as Samantha and Tom Mison as Darren or is it still too soon? Perhaps ABC could treasure what Fox could not.

what chemistry. swoon. although i need him with the long hair, boots and coat. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I want original recipe Law and Order to come back.  Boo. TNT just removed it from its lineup. 

WHAT?!! That’s the only network that doesn’t bleep the words, crapper, ass, Sonofabitch, like the other networks do! ?????????????

• Love 8
10 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

They did it last week, I think. For stupid NCIS New Orleans repeats, whenever they did it.

NCIS NO remains  the weekend  replacement, which is blah choice to such a classic. 

On the early morning, weekdays they are trying a number of shows to replace the irreplaceable Law and Order - NCIS NO, Castle, Bones and Hawaii 5-O (a huge no given how Grace and Daniel were treated. )

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Macbeth said:

NCIS NO remains  the weekend  replacement, which is blah choice to such a classic. 

On the early morning, weekdays they are trying a number of shows to replace the irreplaceable Law and Order - NCIS NO, Castle, Bones and Hawaii 5-O (a huge no given how Grace and Daniel were treated. )

At least Castle, Bones, & Hawaii Five-0 used to be on before L&O. The newest in the NCIS franchise is a whole new addition to the network & schedule. Plus, they’re moving around Five-0. It used to be pretty solidly scheduled on late Thursday nights/early Friday mornings until L&O was supposed to air. Now I think they’ve changed the late night/early morning timeslot at least twice in the last 2-3 weeks. I forget which day it’s on this week.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spacing.
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2018 at 5:32 PM, SmithW6079 said:

From CNN: 'Law & Order: Hate Crimes' coming to NBC.

I think they will have to tread very carefully here. How do you tell the stories of fighting hate crimes without giving a voice to the very people whose hateful rhetoric and ideology you're trying to punish?

On 9/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, aradia22 said:

I THOUGHT YOU WERE KIDDING. Christ. They do enough damage with SVU, not that anyone has taken that show seriously in years (I hope). 

Even original recipe L&O was always a kind of Ripped From Today's Headlines show, and Hate Crimes will kind of write itself on that level, just as SVU did.  People love all this lurid stuff, plus they get to feel smug and self-righteous while they watch.  Classic exploitation fare.

• Love 1

People love all this lurid stuff, plus they get to feel smug and self-righteous while they watch.  Classic exploitation fare.

I didn't mind the stuff that was influenced by the news but whenever they did the really on the nose stuff (e.g. Anna Nicole Smith) it was always just bad and awkward and kind of gross to watch. That's one of the reasons I don't like SVU. It's more exploitative. It's not just that it's sex crimes but more than the others, it feels like it's mining misery for entertainment. L&O OG might just be about a wife killing her husband to keep the money instead of getting nothing because of a cheating clause in the prenup. That's the classic detective/crime fiction stuff I can enjoy. SVU also felt like it was more into guest stars gunning for that easy Emmy. But I don't have the numbers to back that up.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

the news but whenever they did the really on the nose stuff (e.g. Anna Nicole Smith) it was always just bad and awkward and kind of gross to watch.

To me the most disgusting one was the ep based on the Shawn Hornbeck case where they had the character based on Shawn 

Spoiler

Murder the other boy who was kidnapped out of jealousy. 

It was beyond the pale it still makes me angry!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I didn't mind the stuff that was influenced by the news but whenever they did the really on the nose stuff (e.g. Anna Nicole Smith) it was always just bad and awkward and kind of gross to watch.

Oh but they did an Anthony Weiner one, and instead of their characater's alias being "Carlos Danger," it was "Enrique Trouble," and it struck me as the funniest name I've ever encountered.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To me the most disgusting one was the ep based on the Shawn Hornbeck case where they had the character based on Shawn 

Reveal hidden contents

Was that not an episode of Cold Case?

17 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

Was that not an episode of Cold Case?

They might have had a similar plot but what I describe most definitely happened on the original L&O, the episode is called Captive season 17 episode 20. I don’t have ever ep of Cold Case committed to memory like I do of L&O.

Edited by biakbiak

MHz Worldview will be showing the great, almost never seen in the US, series "Fantomas" starting Tues., Sept. 11 (with repeat showings early Weds).  This Franco-German production, starring Helmut Berger as Fantomas, was, as far as I know, only shown once in the US on a long-defunct cable channel (called, I think, "The French Channel"). It was never released here on video. Directed by the French director Claude Chabrol.  

Fantomas was a fictional character created in the 1920s.  He's sort of like The Joker, a utterly ruthless criminal genius.

Schedule here:

https://mhznetworks.com/schedule/

Where to watch here:

https://mhznetworks.com/mhz-worldview/where-to-watch-map/

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, biakbiak said:

Reveal hidden contents

I actually found that aspect of the plot made for a more interesting episode than a straight retelling of the case would've been.

14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I actually found that aspect of the plot made for a more interesting episode than a straight retelling of the case would've been.

No one needed a straight retelling or a twisty take of the case but they chose to present It as “ripped from the headlines” emphasing awful takes that the real minor child had to deal with  at the time, even when they were completely disproven. There comes a time when providing a “twist” to a real life case crosses the line and to me that was it. He was a child and it wasn’t a “twist” it was presenting the garbage tabloid media’s take that was being presented at the time as true. That is straight up harmful garbage. When you look at the cases the original L&O “ripped from the headlines” they typically weren’t so egregious about a recent case.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No one needed a straight retelling or a twisty take of the case but they chose to present It as “ripped from the headlines” emphasing awful takes that the real minor child had to deal with  at the time, even when they were completely disproven. There comes a time when providing a “twist” to a real life case crosses the line and to me that was it. He was a child and it wasn’t a “twist” it was presenting the garbage tabloid media’s take that was being presented at the time as true. That is straight up harmful garbage. When you look at the cases the original L&O “ripped from the headlines” they typically weren’t so egregious about a recent case.

Some of them were, some weren't.  I agree this particular episode had more of a twisty take than most.  But it was the artistic decision the producers and writers chose to make, and I found it more interesting for being different, given that L&O wasn't a documentary series.  That's my opinion on the episode in question.  You don't have to agree with it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Some of them were, some weren't.  I agree this particular episode had more of a twisty take than most.  But it was the artistic decision the producers and writers chose to make, and I found it more interesting for being different, given that L&O wasn't a documentary series.  That's my opinion on the episode in question.  You don't have to agree with it.

To me it’s not “artistic” when they promote a hackneyed take  that many in the media were suggesting happened about a child and his family who were still in the middle of it. It’s painful, exploitative trashing  of a victim who was still processing it with no attempt to disguise it.

Edited by biakbiak
On 9/10/2018 at 1:07 AM, biakbiak said:

They might have had a similar plot but what I describe most definitely happened on the original L&O, the episode is called Captive season 17 episode 20. I don’t have ever ep of Cold Case committed to memory like I do of L&O.

That could have been based on the Steven Stayner story.

41 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

That could have been based on the Steven Stayner story.

It wasn’t. They legit did news stories on it and there were details on the show that illustrated it wasn’t. You can easily google both of their stories when they did the Staynor story they didn’t do that  “twist”.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

To me it’s not “artistic” when they promote a hackneyed take  that many in the media were suggesting happened about a child and his family who were still in the middle of it. It’s painful, exploitative trashing  of a victim who was still processing it with no attempt to disguise it.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  L&O is not a documentary show, and could take a storyline any direction the producers wanted, imo.  And that's my last word on the subject.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

There's a new series debuting on ABC tonight called "A Million Little Things," about a group of friends coping with a friend's suicide. I remember when it was called "The Big Chill" and it was a movie.

Or 13 Reasons Why. Which is what I’ve thought of when seeing the previews for A Million Little Things. I suspect the success of the former inspired the latter. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

There's a new series debuting on ABC tonight called "A Million Little Things," about a group of friends coping with a friend's suicide. I remember when it was called "The Big Chill" and it was a movie.

That’s what my mom said in the car today. 

2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I never even saw The Big Chill but the plot is so famous that's what I thought of too the first time I saw a commercial for this show. 

What got me about the review I read today about the show is that it didn't mention "The Big Chill" at all, almost going out of its way not to, even though to me the connection is so obvious, and even though the review mentions "thirtysomething," which Wikipedia says was influenced by the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Chill_(film)

I guess what bothers me is that if you're going to steal the concept of your show, then be honest about its influences. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

I figured A Million Little Things was a way for ABC to cash in on the popularity of This Is Us.  Back in the day I loved Thirtysomething, but now I can't watch any show with a group of friends that seem to hang together 24/7.  Is this normal?  I get sick of people very quickly so I can't imagine anyone wanting to be with the same group day in and day out.  

• Love 15

I won’t lie-I’m watching this strictly for James Roday. But I watched the “extra” on demand to find about this show, and the showrunner(?) said a sudden suicide of his friend-he didn’t say who it was or if he was in the same industry, was the inspiration for this show. Maybe a case of Life Imitating Art?

And selfishly, if the show tanks, then Roday can get to working on Psych The Movie II!?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I guess what bothers me is that if you're going to steal the concept of your show, then be honest about it its influences. 

I felt the same way when all the press and reviews of White Collar failed to mention that it was essentially a remake of It Takes a Thief, which was inspired by the film To Catch a Thief.

And, yeah, totally a rip off Big Chill (rip off because they don't acknowledge the debt) but watching for Roday.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ABay said:

I felt the same way when all the press and reviews of White Collar failed to mention that it was essentially a remake of It Takes a Thief, which was inspired by the film To Catch a Thief.

Maybe it's a generational thing, because to me, White Collar seemed to take most of it's inspiration form the film Catch Me If You Can.

• Love 6
23 hours ago, Trini said:

Maybe it's a generational thing, because to me, White Collar seemed to take most of it's inspiration form the film Catch Me If You Can.

It was pretty clear to me that Catch Me If You Can was hugely influential. Neal consistently wearing suits from the late 50s and 60s and the final caper requiring Neal to be disguised as a pilot who has to flirt with a flight attendant in a suspiciously retro uniform are just 2 obvious indicators of the influence.

On 9/27/2018 at 2:52 AM, SmithW6079 said:

What got me about the review I read today about the show is that it didn't mention "The Big Chill" at all, almost going out of its way not to, even though to me the connection is so obvious, and even though the review mentions "thirtysomething," which Wikipedia says was influenced by the movie.

And thirtysomething was influenced by "The Big Chill." 

• Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 7:47 AM, Haleth said:

I figured A Million Little Things was a way for ABC to cash in on the popularity of This Is Us.

Totally.  All the marketing bears this out.  Also, I watched A Million Little Things and didn't once think of The Big Chill.  At a glance the whole suicide and group of friends thing makes it seem similar.  But at least judging by the pilot, the tone and focus is so different that the suicide+ group of friends thing seems almost incidental.  For one thing the dead guy, the suicide & reason for it, in AMLT is a very central plot point/mystery.  But the tone really felt like it was trying to reel in the TIU crowd.

On another note, I just saw that Amazon has ordered Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time to series.  I loved those books back in the day.  They were my gateway drug to The Game of Thrones series.  I never did get past book seven tho.  The wait between books was getting longer and it is one of those series that you really have to keep up with everything going on.  The scope is much bigger than AGOT.  And then the author died.  But I am now wildly curious about the tv series.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Totally.  All the marketing bears this out.  Also, I watched A Million Little Things and didn't once think of The Big Chill.  At a glance the whole suicide and group of friends thing makes it seem similar.  But at least judging by the pilot, the tone and focus is so different that the suicide+ group of friends thing seems almost incidental.  For one thing the dead guy, the suicide & reason for it, in AMLT is a very central plot point/mystery.  But the tone really felt like it was trying to reel in the TIU crowd.

In a more general way of speaking, I see the merit of trying to use one show to reel in the crowd from another.  AMLT was so, so very clearly trying to do this.  The problem is that, at least from my point of view, what we ended up with was not "a show you would like if you liked TIU" but "a TIU knock-off."  I think for that marketing strategy to work, the show itself has to be very, very different from the show they are using as a hook and that just wasn't the case here.  For me, the sort of sad part about it is, despite its many and glaring flaws, I think AMLT is actually a better show than TIU, but it will remain in its shadow as long as it is on the air (which, judging from the premiere's ratings, probably won't be too long).

• Love 2