Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I wonder...is this because of ratings (I honestly don't know what the ratings are for this show) or because the hosts of The Chew want to move onto other things?

Other articles have indicated that ratings have fallen significantly since Mario was rightfully fired. Michael Symon tweeted that the hosts also found out today, so it doesn't appear to be their decision. 

16 minutes ago, 2727 said:

They should just keep Carla and Clinton as hosts for the third hour.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if they kept Clinton. I don't think that Carla would shine in that environment, interviewing or even acting as tge facilitator host isn't her strong suit. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

They should just keep Carla and Clinton as hosts for the third hour.

I think that'd be smart but I will miss the three of them bantering.  It's interesting, though, because back in 2014, Michael Symon had the second highest Q rating in daytime behind Ellen.  That could be because of his Food Network gig but it's interesting. (Clinton was 10, Carla 12, Mario 17 and Daphne 20).  So I'd expect Michael to get another gig.

2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I wonder...is this because of ratings (I honestly don't know what the ratings are for this show) or because the hosts of The Chew want to move onto other things?

I think it's the mixture of ratings and the fact that I think ABC has been wanting to do another hour of GMA for a while. I remember it being discussed when Michael Strahan moved to GMA.  It doesn't sound like Mario had much to do with it either ratings-wise or accusation-wise.  Here's an article.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think that'd be smart but I will miss the three of them bantering.  It's interesting, though, because back in 2014, Michael Symon had the second highest Q rating in daytime behind Ellen.  That could be because of his Food Network gig but it's interesting. (Clinton was 10, Carla 12, Mario 17 and Daphne 20).  So I'd expect Michael to get another gig.

I think it's the mixture of ratings and the fact that I think ABC has been wanting to do another hour of GMA for a while. I remember it being discussed when Michael Strahan moved to GMA.  It doesn't sound like Mario had much to do with it either ratings-wise or accusation-wise.  Here's an article.

ABC actually did an afternoon hour of GMA for awhile, back in 2012, with Josh Elliott (the then news anchor who later left in a contract dispute) & Lara Spencer. It was on after The Revolution, that daytime show with Tim Gunn, Tyler Pennington, Dr. Jennifer Ashton (now ABC's Chief Medical Reporter), Harley Pasternak, & Dr. Tiffanie Davis, all of whom did segments on the show connected to their real life interests/other work besides the TV show (Tim Gunn did fashion/style-type segments; Ty Pennington did building/renovation-type work; Dr. Ashton did health & physical medicine segments; Harley Pasternak was the exercise guy, & Dr. Tiffanie Davis was the psychologist/mental health contributor). 

The show was canceled after a little less than 6 months on the air. It was replaced by Good Afternoon America. That show, in turn, aired for just a couple months after which General Hospital permanently moved up an hour, from 3PM Eastern to 2PM Eastern.

Everything I've read about this says that the cancellation was purely a business decision. It had nothing to do with the original sexual harassment accusations against Mario, or the new NYPD investigation, announced late last week or early this week, into sexual assault claims by (I think) 2 separate women.

On 5/18/2018 at 6:35 PM, BoogieBurns said:

Um, I feel very old when I think of Damon Wayans as a nearly 60 year old dude. But, I've decided he's mid fifties (57) and youthful like Barack Obama (56). Now my thoughts on his clone...

Cool, so I've been black for 32 years and I have met exactly 0 black dudes named Jake, and the only black woman named Claire I can think of is Huxtable. So, great job on naming them. Just call them Damon and Amber if you're that bad at naming characters, people. Damon Junior has been named Brad, Ernie, and now Jake. Poor guy.

I’ve been black for 32 years as well and all the black dudes I know are Jacob(s) (not shorted to Jake) and 2 Claire(s) so yeah I agree with you. ?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’ve been black for 32 years as well and all the black dudes I know are Jacob(s) (not shorted to Jake) and 2 Claire(s) so yeah I agree with you. ?

Well, my third great grandfather was named Jacob and called Jake. One of his grandson's was named for him and went by Jacob since his grandpa used the nickname and was still alive by the time of his birth. Just saying it is not impossible or implausible.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Well, my third great grandfather was named Jacob and called Jake. One of his grandson's was named for him and went by Jacob since his grandpa used the nickname and was still alive by the time of his birth. Just saying it is not impossible or implausible.

Yes I know I was being silly. ?

• Love 4
(edited)

HAhhahahahahahhahaahhaa!

to clarify my laughter was not at the joke but that this was the bridge too far for ABC with all the crap she has been spewing for years on her twitter feed. Also I am going to cackle when Tim’s reboot doesn’t make it to air or is quickly cancelled.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 19

I'm not sure what Tim Allen has to do with it.  While they may share politics, isn't he a bit more controlled?  

That's not to say his show will succeed but rather I think things are more complicated with Roseanne than simply politics. I usually hate when women are called 'difficult'  but from what I recall, her writers room was a tough place to be.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I'm not sure what Tim Allen has to do with it.  While they may share politics, isn't he a bit more controlled?  

That's not to say his show will succeed but rather I think things are more complicated with Roseanne than simply politics. I usually hate when women are called 'difficult'  but from what I recall, her writers room was a tough place to be.

I don't know much about Tim Allen, and I may be wrong, but I don't remember him being racist.

Roseanne was a ticking time-bomb and ABC should have recognized it.  This isn't about her being "difficult."  This is about her having a history of inappropriate jokes and behavior.  Honestly, I don't know why anyone was surprised by this...it isn't even the most racist thing I've seen from her.

I get the desire for networks to have shows that different groups of viewers can relate to, but ABC really has no excuse for not seeing this one coming a mile away.

• Love 19
(edited)
2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

not sure what Tim Allen has to do with it.  While they may share politics, isn't he a bit more controlled?  

Fox cancelled all of its comedies other than its animation block and looked at Roseanne’s initial ratings to resurrect Tim Allen’s show that was cancelled for poor ratings. His staff controls his SM but they jumped on his never blockbuster show because he is conservative and not recognizing that most people tuned into Roseanne in the first few weeks not because she was conservative but because the show was beloved. The same can’t be said for Last Man Standing. It also didn’t take into account that the ratings for Roseanne had been in a steady decline after the first few weeks which is probably what lead to the quick cancellation more than that specific tweet.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
21 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Couldn't have happened to a nicer lady.

Good for ABC. With the success of the show there was some serious money to be made, even after the pretty awful shit she said on Twitter. Nice that they were able to look beyond that money and realize they didn't want to be associated with her.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Roseanne was a ticking time-bomb and ABC should have recognized it.  This isn't about her being "difficult."  This is about her having a history of inappropriate jokes and behavior.  Honestly, I don't know why anyone was surprised by this...it isn't even the most racist thing I've seen from her.

I'm not so sure that she wasn't being difficult on top of this.   Or maybe a better way to say it is that she's  probably as bad in person as on social media.

Most of the cast doesn't actually need the reboot.  Gilbert started out the reboot doing a lot of press about how she had agreed to go to the network and have Rosanne's back on the creative stuff.  Her tweet after the decision alluded to there being "so much more" than just this tweet.  The cast likely now remembers that it was actually that bad the last time and its not any better this time.  I'm thinking they might have nudged the network to the right decision faster than it might have occurred otherwise.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

It's too bad that a whole lot of nice people just lost their jobs though.  Cast and crew.

They'll all eventually land on their feet. But yes, it's sad that they ended up being collateral damage now that Roseanne has basically nuked her career into oblivion.  I understand that not only was her show canceled, but she was also dropped by her agency and networks that were running her original series in syndication abruptly canceled those airings as well.  Like Kevin Spacey, she's never coming back from this.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

They'll all eventually land on their feet. But yes, it's sad that they ended up being collateral damage now that Roseanne has basically nuked her career into oblivion.  I understand that not only was her show canceled, but she was also dropped by her agency and networks that were running her original series in syndication abruptly canceled those airings as well.  Like Kevin Spacey, she's never coming back from this.

Hulu has also pulled its episodes of Roseanne.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the cast and crew.  Yes, it sucks.  However, the actors knew what they were getting into with Roseanne.  Also, most of them will be just fine--I can't see John Goodman or Laurie Metcalf idling in unemployment for long.  As for the crew, my guess is that most of them will find homes on new ABC shows.  

Plus, these people know how the business works.  There is no guarantee of employment from year to year.  I get that this particular situation is a little different in that the show had been renewed and then canceled for non-ratings related issues (although it sounds like there were backstage rumblings anyway), but shows come and go.  It is the nature of the business and everyone knows that..

• Love 2

Given Roseanne's Twitter feed alone, ABC not only should have seen her meltdown coming, they never should have rehired her racist, batshit crazy ass in the first place. That one of Roseanne's now ex-bosses, Channing Dungey, the president of ABC Entertainment, is a Black woman, plus one of her character's grandchildren was Black makes her ignorance even worse.  

Best of all is that Roseanne's blaming her rage-tweeting on Ambien. It's a wonder she didn't say that her shitty rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" was the mike's fault, while she's at it. 

Hey, Roseanne-if you really wanna know who's to blame for yours & hundreds of other people getting fired, here's a hint: try the mirror.

• Love 14

Apple Orders Emily Dickinson Comedy Series Starring Hailee Steinfeld

Written by Alena Smith (The Affair, The Newsroom), Dickinson is set during Emily Dickinson’s era with a modern sensibility and tone. It takes viewers into the world of Emily (Steinfeld), audaciously exploring the constraints of society, gender, and family from the perspective of a budding writer who doesn’t fit in to her own time through her imaginative point of view. Dickinson is Emily’s coming-of-age story – one woman’s fight to get her voice heard.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Perhaps when the Cosby allegations came out everything disappeared  then A Different World returned followed by The Cosby Show. I wonder if I Spy and The Bill Cosby Show is on one of the oldies stations.  I doubt if the Kevin Spacey arc has been pulled from Wiseguy 

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Fox cancelled all of its comedies other than its animation block and looked at Roseanne’s initial ratings to resurrect Tim Allen’s show that was cancelled for poor ratings. His staff controls his SM but they jumped on his never blockbuster show because he is conservative and not recognizing that most people tuned into Roseanne in the first few weeks not because she was conservative but because the show was beloved. The same can’t be said for Last Man Standing. It also didn’t take into account that the ratings for Roseanne had been in a steady decline after the first few weeks which is probably what lead to the quick cancellation more than that specific tweet.

His show stunk & I liked Home Improvement.  He was blaming his poor ratings & cancellation on lefties.

2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Best of all is that Roseanne's blaming her rage-tweeting on Ambien. It's a wonder she didn't say that her shitty rendition of "The Star-Spangled Banner" was the mike's fault, while she's at it. 

When you issue an apology, you have to own the behaviour.  The same goes for Kathy Griffin.  I can't stand people "apologizing" and then whining & crying & blaming.  You messed up - apologize (if you are sincerely sorry), and then SFU.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Apple Orders Emily Dickinson Comedy Series Starring Hailee Steinfeld

Written by Alena Smith (The Affair, The Newsroom), Dickinson is set during Emily Dickinson’s era with a modern sensibility and tone. It takes viewers into the world of Emily (Steinfeld), audaciously exploring the constraints of society, gender, and family from the perspective of a budding writer who doesn’t fit in to her own time through her imaginative point of view. Dickinson is Emily’s coming-of-age story – one woman’s fight to get her voice heard.

Somehow I don't think of comedy when I think of Emily Dickinson.

• Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Given Roseanne's Twitter feed alone, ABC not only should have seen her meltdown coming, they never should have rehired her racist, batshit crazy ass in the first place. That one of Roseanne's now ex-bosses, Channing Dungey, the president of ABC Entertainment, is a Black woman, plus one of her character's grandchildren was Black makes her ignorance even worse.  

Hey, Roseanne-if you really wanna know who's to blame for yours & hundreds of other people getting fired, here's a hint: try the mirror.

I've probably never watched an entire episode of Roseanne. It did air in the UK, but never resonated with me. And Roseanne herself always seemed really unpleasant to me. I guess it's nice to know that she is worse than that in real life.

And I'm glad that ABC are taking a strong, unequivocal stance on this. They had a profitable show, and they were willing to just say, 'no, this is wrong'. Good for them.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Wouldn't this work better with Jane Austen?

Oh, they've done so many ALREADY with Jane Austen (Becoming Jane with Anne Hathaway, all those books where she solves mysteries, etc.) and I hate all of them too!

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, paulvdb said:

I already know I won't be watching but, hey, at least it's not a reboot.  

• Love 2

‘LA’s Finest’ Picked Up By Canada’s Bell Media For 13 Episodes As Sony Nears U.S. Deal For ‘Bad Boys’ Spin-Off

LA’s Finest is go! Canadian broadcaster Bell Media has revealed that it has struck a deal with Sony Pictures Television for the Jessica Alba and Gabrielle Union-fronted spin-off of the Bad Boys film franchise. It will air the 13-episode series on one of its specialty entertainment channels.

As Deadline reported yesterday, Sony is in serious negotiations with Charter Communications to become the U.S. home for the series after NBC passed on the $12M pilot.

The series stars Union as Syd Burnett, last seen in Miami taking down a drug cartel, having left her complicated past behind to become an LAPD detective and pursue all the fun LA offers. But things get a little crazy when her new partner, Nancy McKenna, played by Alba, a working mom with an equally complex past, learns that Syd’s unapologetic lifestyle might be masking a greater personal secret. These two have completely different approaches and don’t agree on much, but they find common ground when it comes to taking on the most dangerous criminals in L.A. in this action-packed, character-driven drama.

‘Heathers’ Reboot Not Moving Forward At Paramount Network

Paramount Network has opted not to move forward with its Heathers reboot, Deadline has confirmed. The new Heathers was initially scheduled to premiere March 7, but was delayed out of respect to the victims, families and others affected by the deadly shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL, which claimed 17 lives.  The premiere was later set for July 10.

On 5/30/2018 at 4:58 PM, Browncoat said:

Somehow I don't think of comedy when I think of Emily Dickinson.

Really? You don't think a show about a woman who wrote,  "Because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me," is going to be a knee slapper? Next you'll suggest the Bronte sisters wouldn't be a good for a sitcom with a laugh track. 

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, Proclone said:

Really? You don't think a show about a woman who wrote,  "Because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me," is going to be a knee slapper? Next you'll suggest the Bronte sisters wouldn't be a good for a sitcom with a laugh track. 

Eh, call it a whim.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎05‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:29 PM, Picture It. Sicily said:

When in doubt, blame the black guy. The nearly 60 year old black guy who has never been accused of unprofessional conduct on set in 30+ years of film and television work. Twitter is a dumpster fire.

I always loved the Wayans, all generations and iterations, and I don't blame Damon Wayans for anything that transpired here, but he's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since he defended Bill Cosby and said the women who'd accused him were 'un-rapeable.'. https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/07/entertainment/damon-wayans-bill-cosby-thr-feat/index.html  That has no bearing in this particular instance, and I'm sure the twitter racists came out in droves, but I also don't view him as someone whose views or word are unimpeachable either.

I actually like historical/period stuff in an anachronistic, modern setting, and I think Hailee Steinfeld is fantastic, so I might have to watch this.

Edited by luna1122
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

I always loved the Wayans, all generations and iterations, and I don't blame Damon Wayans for anything that transpired here, but he's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since he defended Bill Cosby and said the women who'd accused him were 'un-rapeable.'. https://www.cnn.com/2015/09/07/entertainment/damon-wayans-bill-cosby-thr-feat/index.html  That has no bearing in this particular instance, and I'm sure the twitter racists came out in droves, but I also don't view him as someone whose views or word are unimpeachable either.

I actually like historical/period stuff in an anachronistic, modern setting, and I think Hailee Steinfeld is fantastic, so I might have to watch this.

Yeesh. Missed that one. Should have kept his trap shut.

• Love 5

Via Deadline:

• Comedy Central is not renewing The Opposition with Jordan Klepper, which will finish its first and only season on June 28th.
  • Meanwhile, Comedy Central is developing a new weekly show with Klepper that should debut in early 2019.

Comedy Central’s daily late-night program The Opposition with Jordan Klepper will end its run after one season but Klepper is staying on the network with a new weekly half-hour series. Tentatively titled Klepper, it will feature the comedian out in the field, traveling the country and speaking to people.

3 hours ago, nosleepforme said:

I'm just kind of jealous that Netflix didn't exist in 2004/05 to save Angel, Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me.

That's how I feel about Swingtown.  I was really enjoying it and think that today, it could have found a place an any of the streaming services.

• Love 9
(edited)
53 minutes ago, ABay said:

I'm annoyed that Netflix did exist in 2017 and did not save Dark Matter.

And especially since they have said they're moving more towards sci-fi programming. That show had a five year plan and was abruptly cut at three. I think it could have picked up more fans if it was streaming all episodes instead of folks having to wait every week.

I think sci-fi shows could benefit more from this format as they can kind of be a hard sell anyway.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2