Type keyword(s) to search

This Just In: New, Cancelled, Returning, And On-Hiatus Shows News

• Start Topic

Good Girls looks really good but I don't know how it'd work as a series.  I think it'd make a terrific movie, though.

Rise looks okay but very in line with that genre.  I don't know if I'm ready for Glee II.  And the big finish with the girl singing didn't wow me. 

Edited by Irlandesa
5 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't understand why they're even doing this season.

I've never even watched it. The cancellation notice was in a ton of Tweets on my Twitter the other day, so I thought that meant it was worth posting & I did it.

For the 30th anniversary of its premiere, Murphy Brown is getting a 13-episode revival.  Candice Bergen and Diane English are both set to return; talks are underway with other original cast members.

The show, centered around production of a weekly newsmagazine show, was very tied into current events, but I've watched season one as recently as last year, and it's freaky how many times the name has changed but the storyline is exactly the same - or how many times even the name is the same.  I will definitely watch this.  (Plus, if this led to the rest of the series finally being released on DVD, I'd be over the moon; music licensing costs are astronomical, due to how this show used music [a different Motown song to open the show each week, for starters, rather than a theme song], so we only got season one.)

In 2012, English said that she was having conversations with CBS about bringing Murphy Brown back for a few episodes during the election year. Chatter about a Murphy Brown revival restarted a year ago, around the time of Donald Trump’s inauguration, with rumors about English mulling an updated version to take on the new political climate and holding informal meetings with Bergen and some of the show’s former writers to brainstorm ideas. At that time, the revival was just a notion. It was a slow process, but the project finally came together, with deals closing in early January.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

The episode where she gave birth is still one of the funniest things ever.  I wonder if she'll still have a new secretary assistant every week.  

And now I'm all teary because I remember how John F. Kennedy, Jr. was one of her incompetent assistants.

• Love 1

30th anniversary! I feel so old. I didn't watch the show all the way to the end, 7 seasons is usually all I can give a comedy, but I'll watch the revival. I'm watching Will & Grace and I'm going to watch Roseanne, so why not. Looking forward to what Murphy has to say about Trump.

Edited by festivus
Oops, correcting spelling of Roseanne.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

For the 30th anniversary of its premiere, Murphy Brown is getting a 13-episode revival.  Candice Bergen and Diane English are both set to return; talks are underway with other original cast members.

The show, centered around production of a weekly newsmagazine show, was very tied into current events, but I've watched season one as recently as last year, and it's freaky how many times the name has changed but the storyline is exactly the same - or how many times even the name is the same.  I will definitely watch this.  (Plus, if this led to the rest of the series finally being released on DVD, I'd be over the moon; music licensing costs are astronomical, due to how this show used music [a different Motown song to open the show each week, for starters, rather than a theme song], so we only got season one.)

Very cool. I hope they include an age-appropriate version of Murphy's son Avery, instead of retconning him out of existence like Will and Grace did with Grace & Leo's child (daughter?) & with the son of Will & his husband(?) who were in the original series finale, supposedly the people who got their parents to speak with each other again after a 20-year estrangement (I think).

If shooting conflicts with Grace and Frankie, the Netflix show she's currently in with Jane Fonda, Sam Waterston & Martin Sheen, they might have to replace Lily Tomlin's Producer character from the last season or so, Kay Carter-Shepley.

And I really hope Avery gets the chance to remind Murphy he's apparently a Barry Manilow fan as opposed to his mom's love of Motown!

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix spelling and punctuation.
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No Eldin amd Phil makes me sad!

I think the guy who ran their restaurant/hangout after the original (Pat Corley) died too; maybe towards the end of the series. Didn't Murphy & the gang run it by the time it ended?

7 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Very cool. I hope they include an age-appropriate version of Murphy's son Avery, instead of retconning him out of existence like Will and Grace did with Grace & Leo's child (daughter?) & with the son of Will & his husband(?) who were in the original series finale, supposedly the people who got their parents to speak with each other again after a 20-year estrangement (I think).

I doubt they will do a retconn because they hadnt written themselves into a similiar corner.

I actually don't remember anything about the restaurant after Phil.

2 hours ago, Haleth said:

The episode where she gave birth is still one of the funniest things ever.  I wonder if she'll still have a new secretary assistant every week.  

Miles sliding across the hospital floor to catch the baby he thought was going to drop out of Murphy is one of my favorite scenes of any show.

• Love 3

OK... I checked. It looks like Pat Corley didn't die until 2006 (so after the show ended); but it seems like he maybe wasn't on the show as regularly after a certain point as before--so maybe he, & the character, was (supposed to have been) ill at some point. I don't remember anymore. There's at least 1 reference to him only appearing in the show's opening credits when his character was actually in the episode.

@biakbiak said no Eldin & no Phil (in the revival) makes them sad. Don't forget, there probably won't be any Miles in the revival either.

Grant Shaud, who played Miles, left the show at the end of S8 after (as I remember) getting into a relationship with Corky, then eventually marrying her, without Murphy or anyone else at work finding out. I think Miles ended up asking for a divorce before the show ended (or Corky got pregnant, or something); but by that time I think pretty much everybody at work somehow knew about Corky & Miles, so Corky had people to lean on during whatever it was. And Lily Tomlin joined the cast for Seasons 9 & 10 as the new FYI Executive Producer, Kay Carter-Shepley. Despite Kay's experience in TV, she had only produced game shows before joining FYI.

6 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

OK... I checked. It looks like Pat Corley didn't die until 2006 (so after the show ended); but it seems like he maybe wasn't on the show as regularly after a certain point as before--so maybe he, & the character, was (supposed to have been) ill at some point. I don't remember anymore. There's at least 1 reference to him only appearing in the show's opening credits when his character was actually in the episode.

@biakbiak said no Eldin & no Phil (in the revival) makes them sad. Don't forget, there probably won't be any Miles in the revival either.

Grant Shaud, who played Miles, left the show at the end of S8 after (as I remember) getting into a relationship with Corky, then eventually marrying her, without Murphy or anyone else at work finding out. I think Miles ended up asking for a divorce before the show ended (or Corky got pregnant, or something); but by that time I think pretty much everybody at work somehow knew about Corky & Miles, so Corky had people to lean on during whatever it was. And Lily Tomlin joined the cast for Seasons 9 & 10 as the new FYI Executive Producer, Kay Carter-Shepley. Despite Kay's experience in TV, she had only produced game shows before joining FYI.

I'm sure Grant Shaud will be back. He has said since that he should have never left, and he has shown up whenever the cast has been reunited. I'm sure he'll be there.  I'd certainly bet on him more than Lily Tomlin, given her current TV show. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4

I should also say: Thank GOD Diane English is on board! Not that I ever suspected any different (even though she left the original show after season 4--before returning for the final season), but it definitely makes me more hopeful in terms of quality.

I would like to address one of the biggest criticisms the show has received over the years: That the show is too dated for syndication due to its constant references to then-current political figures. On the first season DVD, in her interview for the featurette on the making of the show, Diane said--and keep in mind, this would have been in 2004--that a lot of the members of the original Bush administration were also a part of the OTHER Bush administration at the time ("All the players are the same", was her quote.). I guess you could argue that she was reaching a bit, but it certainly makes one wonder what a newer Murphy Brown series would have been like back then.

Then again, without bordering TOO much on political talk, I think it's safe to say that the show has landed an even BIGGER goldmine for comedy now. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wonder if she'll still have a new secretary assistant every week.  

Oh, she absolutely has to.  And they can probably get 13 cool guest stars for them.

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Don't forget, there probably won't be any Miles in the revival either.

It's easy to bring Miles back into the fold; he could be a network executive (a la Kinsella and then Lansing), as they'll probably have a new, next-generation character as the executive producer.  Shaud participates in reunions and specials about the show, so I certainly wouldn't rule out them reaching a deal with him for this.  He absolutely loved doing the show, especially working with Bergen.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Oh, she absolutely has to.  And they can probably get 13 cool guest stars for them.

It's easy to bring Miles back into the fold; he could be a network executive (a la Kinsella and then Lansing), as they'll probably have a new, next-generation character as the executive producer.  Shaud participates in reunions and specials about the show, so I certainly wouldn't rule out them reaching a deal with him for this.  He absolutely loved doing the show, especially working with Bergen.

I'm glad to hear Grant Shaud likes having been part of the show (& therefore, might be back). Usually when someone leaves a show before it gets canceled/naturally ends, they have no interest in doing anything else regarding that show.

And they need a new network exec. The actors who played Kinsella & Lansing have both died since the original show ended. Miles was supposedly a "young 'wunderkind' type" when he was brought in as executive producer of FYI. Maybe they could say he became a network exec for the same qualities since the original ended.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a spacing issue.
  • Love 1
On 1/24/2018 at 10:21 PM, Bastet said:
On 1/24/2018 at 5:42 PM, Haleth said:

I wonder if she'll still have a new secretary assistant every week.  

This in and of itself makes me excited.

ETA: although I am very sad that we won't have Robert Pastorelli or Garry Marshall to play two of my favorite characters.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 5

I knew his show wouldn't work out. I haven't liked him since he began on Idol. Well, I was never really a fan of his acting, but that was the first time I saw him in a setting as just himself and I wasn't a fan.

The only "revival" news so far I've cared about was Will & Grace. I liked Roseanne at one time, but I have no interest in the return--for a lot of reasons. I'd be happy if Ugly Betty or Desperate Housewives were to come back for a brief stint in the coming years. Or if Angela Lansbury could come back for a TV movie or two, or better yet a mini-season (5-7 episodes) of Murder, She Wrote.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I knew his show wouldn't work out. I haven't liked him since he began on Idol. Well, I was never really a fan of his acting, but that was the first time I saw him in a setting as just himself and I wasn't a fan.

There was a "meanness" about him on Idol, which is why I couldn't stand him after that. 

On 2/22/2018 at 9:28 PM, TheGreenKnight said:

Or if Angela Lansbury could come back for a TV movie or two, or better yet a mini-season (5-7 episodes) of Murder, She Wrote.

From your lips to TV execs’ ears! 

• Love 3

I NEED TRU CALLING TO COME BACK AND FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED WITH JENSEN, JACK AND TRU! Is there a way we can petition to bring the show back?

Edited by KatsDivision
8 minutes ago, KatsDivision said:

I NEED TRU CALLING TO COME BACK AND FINISH WHAT THEY STARTED WITH JENSEN, JACK AND TRU! Is there a way we can petition to bring the show back?

If you need Tru Calling to come back &, I presume, finish a storyline, then I need Las Vegas to do the same. It was unexpectedly cancelled after 5 seasons, in the middle of a cliffhanger.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

If you need Tru Calling to come back &, I presume, finish a storyline, then I need Las Vegas to do the same. It was unexpectedly cancelled after 5 seasons, in the middle of a cliffhanger.

Yes but at least Las Vegas made it into 5 seasons before it got cancelled! Tru calling didn't even get to the end of Season 2! I reallyyyyy hope they bring it back. This is so depressing.

Young & Hungry, You’re The Worst, Stuck in the Middle and The Librarians have been canceled.  I liked all of them.  It is a shame when you see an end to a story you enjoy.

But, I did not like the last season of Worst.  It was like a different show.  I knew Stuck was done after the last volume I watched from iTunes.  I could tell they had run out of story.  Young & Hungry kind of the same thing.  But, I think that show could have went on for a bit.  Librarians though, that is a real shame.  Cool show.

But, there are some new shows I like.  Siren, Separated together (not sure the exact name) and Alex, Inc.  So, as it is, when some go, more come along.

58 minutes ago, Glowzinski said:

Young & Hungry, You’re The Worst, Stuck in the Middle and The Librarians have been canceled.  I liked all of them.  It is a shame when you see an end to a story you enjoy.

But, I did not like the last season of Worst.  It was like a different show.  I knew Stuck was done after the last volume I watched from iTunes.  I could tell they had run out of story.  Young & Hungry kind of the same thing.  But, I think that show could have went on for a bit.  Librarians though, that is a real shame.  Cool show.

But, there are some new shows I like.  Siren, Separated together (not sure the exact name) and Alex, Inc.  So, as it is, when some go, more come along.

You’re The Worst isn’t really cancelled- it’s coming back for its final season. 

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/tv/news/youre-the-worst-renewed-season-5-last-season-fxx-1202615687/amp/

• Love 4
On ‎03‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, Ohwell said:

I have never watched Roseanne, don't have any desire to watch the reboot.

I enjoyed the first few seasons, stopped watching when Sandra Bernhard was made a regular, and have no wish to ever see it again.

• Love 4