Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Coffee at Luke's

• Start Topic

I was just at a grocery store with lots of samples. On my way out, I had a second sample on something and I heard Taylor Dooce scolding me “that isn’t sampling. That’s savoring!”

On 3/16/2018 at 12:48 PM, deaja said:

I was just at a grocery store with lots of samples. On my way out, I had a second sample on something and I heard Taylor Dooce scolding me “that isn’t sampling. That’s savoring!”

I do that, too - the sampling. :) I used to rush to the samples table at the health food store, whenever I was there. I rarely visit it now, or get there on time before they're put away, when I do. 

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

This is getting off-topic, and I apologize.  But, I think "they had it coming" is a little strong.  Maybe some of the Romanovs in the past.  But, Nicholas was more incompetent and stupid than evil.  And Alexandra did a lot of charity work during the war.  They made some huge mistakes, but I don't think being shot to death (in the most horrible manner, although that was partly their fault) and then hacked to pieces was fitting.

I'm usually considering the entire 300 year Romanov rule when I agree with Luke's comment. Reading the history and a lot of really horrible things they did to their people. Your probably right Nicholas and Alexandra didn't deserve how they died. I do think both were incompetent but I don't think that let's either one off the hook.  It may sound harsh for Alexandra but her part in handling the government during the war she is responsible for. Do they deserve to be horribly shot to death and hacked to pieces no. Did they deserve to be tried by their people and convict? Yes. Did Nicholas deserve to be executed for his part? He probably did. He's still responsible for decisions he made. Did Alexandra? Maybe. I think you could make a case for it. She's responsible for decisions she made when Nicholas left the country in her hands. Does that mean she should be executed or just locked up? I don't know.  

Only my GG peeps would understand why I died laughing this morning when I got a message from the school letting me know the students would be watching a film called Chasing the Dragon today.  >.<

VmkL.gif

• Love 3

So, did anyone else watch "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel?" If so, did anyone else suspect that the character "Susie" was what Sookie was originally intended to be like? I suspect this because of things that ASP has said about her original conception of the character, like she was supposed to be a lesbian ("Susie" is the stereotypical definition of a butch lesbian, down to being repeatedly mistaken for a man- ugh) and because Alex Borstein (who was originally cast as Sookie) plays her. Thank goodness we got Melissa McCarthy instead. (Although they totally could have written her character just like they wrote it for Melissa McCarthy- feminine and vulnerable and sweet and funny, taking out the Jackson storyline obviously, and still have made the character a lesbian. But then it wouldn't have been a "funny" joke, just part of her as a person).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

To quote Michel - "People are particularly stupid today". That is all.

Hope your day gets better.

Did you know I have that on a coffee mug? I had to stop keeping it at work after I without thinking took it into a meeting with a big client.  

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

Hope your day gets better.

Did you know I have that on a coffee mug? I had to stop keeping it at work after I without thinking took it into a meeting with a big client.  

Hah! Thanks. Things got much better once I got home and didn't need to deal with people anymore!

• Love 2

For the past several days I've been playing a board game in the living room and having GG on in the background (just finished S2).  I've caught my 15 yo son LOL'ing at several of the scenes.  Does a mother's heart good.  *grin*

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Was he laughing at the dialog or the use of things like pagers and CD players?

Ha! Good question. He was laughing at the dialog. Mostly anything sarcastic (he is, after all, my child) so especially Michel, Paris, and Jess.

• Love 2

Another goodie - my daughter sent me a video of her showing me her dorm room at college (she finally got a single room this year so she has more space) and guess what I caught paused in the background? 😊 Yep, she is mine.

Screenshot (1698).png

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

UPTV is doing a marathon of all the episodes starting Nov 24th, with Scott Patterson doing narration. I may watch for Scott alone.

Yay! Which means my son will be here to watch some eps like he was last year. He's not a huge fan but his gf is so he puts up with it.

• Love 2

Slightly inappropriate but funny story to share with you all -

Hubby and I attended a funeral yesterday (father of a guy we've both been good friends with since we were in school) and it got to the part where they open the casket for everyone to walk by, which I hate (I never look at the body, it's just......shudder.....let me remember them as they were alive, please). All of a sudden the only thing I could think about was Mrs. Kim: "Walking with dead people not my thing. Let's go" from Say Goodnight, Gracie and I swear it was all I could do to keep a straight face for the rest of the service.

I hear you, Mrs. Kim. I hear you.

• LOL 2

You all might enjoy this, here's a fun little write-up about the diner in the town I grew up in (which was first owned by my aunt and uncle, and - long after they had sold it - was my first real job in high school). This is why the "teeny-tiny little hamlet" of Stars Hollow with it's population of 10,000+ always makes me laugh.

The Whippet Diner

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

You all might enjoy this, here's a fun little write-up about the diner in the town I grew up in (which was first owned by my aunt and uncle, and - long after they had sold it - was my first real job in high school). This is why the "teeny-tiny little hamlet" of Stars Hollow with it's population of 10,000+ always makes me laugh.

The Whippet Diner

The small town backdrop and  the fresh original scoring of this show is a big draw for me as well. I missed the townie gathering and gossip at the diner in the revival.

• Love 1

If you watch GG on UP tv, you’ve probably seen the promos for 800 Words starting this Friday evening. Well worth the watch!
Fish out of water family, quirky town people...a cross between GG and a bit little Northern Exposure.

• Love 4
On 7/22/2020 at 3:59 PM, chitowngirl said:

If you watch GG on UP tv, you’ve probably seen the promos for 800 Words starting this Friday evening. Well worth the watch!
Fish out of water family, quirky town people...a cross between GG and a bit little Northern Exposure.

My UP TV disappeared on Saturday!  WTH???!!!!   I’ve been watching GG on there in the afternoons and poof it’s gone!  😩

3 hours ago, geauxaway said:

My UP TV disappeared on Saturday!  WTH???!!!!   I’ve been watching GG on there in the afternoons and poof it’s gone!  😩

Maybe there was some reconfiguring on August 1st? It might have moved to a different channel.

8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I've never seen GG on Logo. Golden Girls, Will & Grace, Married with Children, but no Gilmore Girls. 

Maybe Logo just picked it up.  According to the online TV guide it starts Monday and 7p with episode 1.

18 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Maybe there was some reconfiguring on August 1st? It might have moved to a different channel.

I should have worded my original post better.  It didn’t disappear I just don’t have service to it anymore, the screen is now blank with an exclamation point.  So my package or coverage must have changed as of 8/1.  😢🤷🏻‍♀️.  I may see about getting it back when I have 2 hours to spend on the phone with my provider lol.  I really was interested in 800 Words.  And Christmas season is coming, so there’s that.  I’m always in need of cheesy Christmas movies!  🥰

On 9/4/2020 at 6:54 PM, chitowngirl said:

Not Gilmore Girls related but an irritation while I’m watching GG-I cannot wait for I Can Only Imagine to air this weekend so I don’t have to see promos for it EVERY SINGLE COMMERCIAL BREAK!

Me too! That commercial makes me shabby!! Please Stop That!

That was supposed to be “Stabby” not shabby.

• Love 2

From @gilmoregirlsonly, which quarantine house is for you? 
I looked for her original post, but couldn't even figure out if she's on Facebook, Instagram or what.

No question for me - House 4.

FE3E9BBB-BE68-4696-80CD-FA783CFD4F0D.jpeg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

House 6

Of the people listed-who would your hand picked 5 people in a “House 7” be? And who would be in your “house of hell”?

House of Hell - Rune (because he's such an idiot), Max (because he's boring AF), Taylor (because he's annoying AF), Dean (because 95% of the time he's onscreen, I hate him), and Colin (because 100% of the time he's onscreen, I hate him).

Handpicked House - Rory, Jess, Paris (because I ***adore*** the three of them together in TTR), Lane (because even though she's more music-based pop culture than the discussion they were having in TTR, I think she's well-rounded enough that she would have been able to keep up), and Gypsy, because more Gypsy is always a good thing and her snarking on Jess and Paris would be golden.

• Love 2

House 2 because all the others have at least one person I truly loathe. For all my complaining about Rory, it's really more to do with the bad writing around the character than with the character itself.

12 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

Of the people listed-who would your hand picked 5 people in a “House 7” be? And who would be in your “house of hell”?

My hand-picked House 7 would be Babette, Sookie, Lane, Dave, and Luke. My House of Hell would be Christopher, Logan, Colin, Finn, and Tristan—basically, the house of entitled rich boys. Although that being said, I would also not want to share a house with Paris. I love her, but in a quarantine house, everyone's going to fall out with everyone else at some point, and I would not want to risk having Paris's ire focused on me. It would probably be great the rest of the time, though, and she would make sure that all disinfecting protocols were followed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 4/9/2021 at 2:56 PM, chitowngirl said:

House 6

Luke and Jess, Logan, Miss Patty and Babette. A laugh a minute.

Gilmore Girls seems to be gone from Logo in the mornings. Does anyone know if this is permanent? Looking at their scheduled his week, they only have a few shows all day: Will & Grace, Bewitched, Facts of Life, Married with Children, Three’s Company, The Nanny, and Mama’s Family…all day long.

Earlier today I was watching a silly video where people try to guess if a quote is from Shakespeare or the King James Bible. Guess what one of the quotes was?

MRS. KIM: Let never day nor night unhallow'd pass, but still remember what the Lord hath done.

I laughed SO HARD. (They got it wrong, btw, which made it even funnier.)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Earlier today I was watching a silly video where people try to guess if a quote is from Shakespeare or the King James Bible. Guess what one of the quotes was?

I laughed SO HARD. (They got it wrong, btw, which made it even funnier.)

Shakespeare right? Poor Dave, he stayed up all night looking for it.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2021 at 10:29 AM, peacheslatour said:

Shakespeare right? Poor Dave, he stayed up all night looking for it.

Cracked me up when Dave said he's stayed up all night to read the Bible. Her response:

"That is a very difficult thing to do, reading the Bible in one night. I myself have only done it three times. You need great determination and excellent light. "

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

After watching the first episode of "Candy" earlier, I looked up the TV movie from 1990, and found it on youtube. That led me to reading the comments, and checking out other movies uploaded from the 80s and 90s, and now I'm having a little movie marathon. I've just started "Don't Go To Sleep" from 1982, and wondered what sort of movie marathon, people here might have - like the gilmore girls. I'm in the mood for spooky, right now.

• Love 1