Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Coffee at Luke's

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

•   Introductions

•   Off-topic chatter

•   Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1 Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

2 Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

3 If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

•   Character topics

•   Episode topics

•   Season topics

•   Spoiler topics

•   Speculation topics

•   In the Media topics

•   Favourite X topics

•   ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

How quickly can you speak?

Edited by SilverStormm
added small talk info

I converted the show request into the Small Talk thread for the show. Please feel free to start threads for characters, episodes, etc.!

If you (collectively) would like to change the name of the Small Talk thread jokey bit just figure it out amongst yourselves and then email david@previously.tv and he'll change it.

We've been doing "Rewatch Projects" here, just finished Veronica Mars and just started Firefly but that will finish fast and then we'll have a poll to vote for the next round. Once the forums are up and running a bit it's likely we'll do more than one at a time so feel free to vote in a few weeks when we open that up! Welcome!

• Love 1

I couldn't contain myself and just rewatched the first 3 episodes. The show set itself up so well and I think that's what made the ending so perfect (forgetting the rest of season 7). How close the Gilmore's got as a family unit, Paris being one of Rory's best friends, Luke doing everything he can because he just wants to make Lorelei happy, Sookie & Lorelei having their own inn...I can go on forever. Definitely some clunky bits, and Alexis' acting is laughably bad at times, but still such a fun show. I can't wait for the actual rewatch so we can discuss this stuff ad nauseum. 

Luke's was my number one home for several years back on TWoP, so I suppose I might as well pop in here and say hello.  I don't know that I'll participate much in discussion of GG here since it's not a show I tend to watch or think about much anymore and I didn't even watch the whole series.  It just so happened that it was in the fairly brief period of time when I was obsessed with it that I got onto TWoP (back in 2002), so that's why the GG forum and Luke's in particular became my home.

But I will say that the Extra Hot Great episode from a few weeks ago had "Rory's Birthday Parties" as the canon submission and listening to the clips from and discussion of that episode had me reminiscing so fondly that when I got home that evening I broke open my GG DVDs for the first time in years and watched the first three episodes.  

So anyone who hasn't listened to that particular EHG episode, I recommend it.  

• Love 3

Ah Gilmore Girls, how I loved thee! I did an entire series rewatch when I was pregnant with my son as it was like TV comfort food to me and made me so happy in the face of six months of nausea. In fact, Gilmore Girls was what made me think I was having a girl - all I wanted to do during that time period was eat peanut butter chocolate ice cream and watch funny, fast talking ladies. I have to say though, I kind of loved the high school years better than later seasons (although the finale of Rory's first year of college was pretty great). The stuff with Lorelai and Christopher and the stuff with Rory and Logan kind of bummed me out. They were both too smart for those duds! Thoughts?

I thought Rory was more 'Rory-like' in the HS years (I'll even say, year one of college). While it was sad when she and Lorelai fought and were estranged it wasn't as sad to me because at that point Rory was acting like a spoiled entitled person and I didn't care for her that much. What bothered me more was that it prevented Lorelai from moving forward with Luke. Plus don't get me started on the long lost daughter. In theory April could have been a good storyline but it was just handled so poorly. The fact that they suddenly made Christopher a viable option for Lorelai frosted me. They ALL turned into 'pod' people. IMO

Edited by lulu1960
  • Love 1

They ALL turned into 'pod' people. IMO

Paris always remained a pretty interesting and strong character. Crazy as hell and someone I'd never want to be around (a lot of her type in med school), but fun to watch from afar.

• Love 1

Paris always remained a pretty interesting and strong character. Crazy as hell and someone I'd never want to be around (a lot of her type in med school), but fun to watch from afar.

I love Paris. I think that she is always pretty true to herself and I never looked at something she did and thought "Man, that doesn't seem like her character!" Even when she dated that old professor guy (which bummed me out because I really liked Jaime), I remember thinking "Yeah, that makes sense."

Hi, smrou! Also, thanks for the reminder to check out that podcast.

I was a regular at Luke's for awhile over at TWoP, and while I haven't been a regular visitor for awhile, I did stop by on occasion for a Gilmore fix. I'm sad to see TWoP go since it was a big part of my life for awhile (and introduced me to a lot of awesome people), but it's nice to see a Gilmore forum here.

Welcome to Previously.TV!

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies
This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:
  • Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  • Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  • If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!
Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):
  • Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea
Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Hi!

I used to lurk on TWOP but never made an account, I figured now's a good time as any to jump in. I'm a huge fan of GG and I'm very excited to discuss it with everyone :)

The TWoP forums are officially gone as of about 30 minutes ago--just wanted to say it was nice to see so many familiar names over there throughout the day, especially in the GGMM and fan fiction threads. I hope to see more familiar names here. :)

Thank you, Blackbird!  I was typing "I want to be in the Gilmore Girls thread when TWoP goes dark," and it stopped in the middle of my post.  So glad to see the conversation picking up over here!

It's the recaps that will remain read-only, the forums were always going to disappear.

OK.  I guess we (or possibly just I LOL) just misunderstood when reading about it on the XF board then.  But I know a lot of people were trying to save the forum posts to their computer (because we got into a lot of lengthy discussions about the XF mytharc) and then were relieved when they announced that the forum content would be staying.  So, whatever.  Nothing to be done about it now. 

Hey guys----I have a random TV-related question, and this seems the ideal place to ask it :) Who are your 5-10 all-time favorite TV characters? As I said somewhere else, these aren't necessarily the most likable characters or even the ones you'd want to hang out with in real life, but the characters you find most memorable, compelling, interesting, essential to your enjoyment of a certain show, etc.! 

Juniemomo, I love your list and think we have some overlapping selections! 

In no special order:

Paris, Rory, Lorelai, Malcolm Reynolds, Simon Tam, Zoe Wasburne (can you tell I'm on a Firefly kick?!), Buffy Summers, Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds), and, wait, there is NO way I can stick to my own rule and limit this list to just 5-7 :) 

• Love 1
including Saffron.

YES! The two episodes in which she appears are, not coincidentally, easily among my two favorites of the series. I can't say I "loved" Kaylee or Book (though I like them well enough) and I dislike Inara, but otherwise, yes, Firefly gave me some of my very favorite characters in its sadly short run. Did you guys care about any of the romantic pairings on that show? 

It's awesome that there's an overlap between GG fans and Firefly fans! It literally makes my day to discover that you guys love that show as well. I'm trying to think of what those shows have in common...humor? Awesomely snarky and quotable dialogue? Some of the themes about independence and carving out a 'different' life of one's own? 

Edited by amensisterfriend

Another Browncoat here!  *fist bump*  I recently talked my daughter into watching Firefly, and I realized as I was describing the show to her just how amazing it is that these characters came to life the way they did in just 13 short episodes.

• Love 1

I love pretty much everybody on Firefly, some more than others of course, but there's not anybody that I thought was a waste of screentime or anything like that.

I enjoy the show when it's time for something fluffy and entertaining, but I freaking LOVE the movie and watch it quite often.  Very thought-provoking.  (I just have to block out what's coming up when they fly through Reaver territory.  *cries*)

That's so funny, because aside from Heart of Gold and maybe one or two others, i love the episodes more than the movie. There's something unique about the show's tone and feel that just didn't quite transfer onto the big screen for me, and parts felt a bit like a generic sci-fi/action film rather than distinctively Firefly to me. I haven't seen the movie for awhile, though, so clearly it's time for a rewatch :) 

Oh the tone was different for sure, but I'm kind of a conspiracy-theory-we-are-all-destroying-ourselves fanatic, so the storyline really appealed to me in that way.  That's why I just love the show in a different way than the movie.

OMG, which episode is it where Tracy shows up?  I cried BUCKETS.

We have the Firefly board game, anyone ever played that?  It is awesome.

• Love 1
OMG, which episode is it where Tracy shows up?  I cried BUCKETS.

The Message! And, yeah, I love that Kleenex-worthy episode as well! 

I love that both GG and Firefly are, in their own different ways, both about carving out your own path rather than the 'easier' one that's been set for you. And that both sets of writers seem to share my fondness for snark :) 

We have the Firefly board game, anyone ever played that?  It is awesome.

Oh...my...god. I didn't know this existed and am dying to own it, only I don't think I know any Firefly fans in my 'real life' to play it with! Taryn, I'm totally coming to visit...we can play the Firefly game and have a GG/Firefly marathon with copious amounts of junk food ;) 

• Love 1

Kaylee would fit perfectly into Stars Hollow. Couldn't you just see her and Gypsy expanding the shop?

I may have just squeed myself.

Oh...my...god. I didn't know this existed and am dying to own it, only I don't think I know any Firefly fans in my 'real life' to play it with! Taryn, I'm totally coming to visit...we can play the Firefly game and have a GG/Firefly marathon with copious amounts of junk food ;)

Oh girl, come on down!  We LOVE the board game.  We love junk food too, but that's neither here nor there.  >.<  The game takes a while to play (like, 2 or 3 hours depending on the number of players) but it is just so awesome!  There's character cards for I'm pretty sure every character that was ever named on the show, as well as some generic "gun hands" and such as that.  It is so much fun.

91tAJibzf2L._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Taryn74
  • Love 1

I guess this is the best place to put this, because it doesn't relate to a specific show but does relate to GG in general. 

I am a community based therapist, meaning I meet with clients in home, school or in the community. I mostly work with kids but I have a few parents on my caseload right now. Tonight I went to visit a family and the parent wanted to talk to me away from the kids in the tiny apartment. Long story short, we had a therapy session in the car. It reminded me of GG and I had to share it with other people who would get it. 

• Love 4

Many of us are aware that The Waltons  and Gilmore Girls have a connection through a structure. Lorelai's Dragonfly Inn is the same building (or building shell) as the Walton home. But  I recently noticed another link. I was watching part of an early episode of The Waltons (stop judging me). Grandpa and the Baldwin sisters go to a neighbouring town and enter a drug store. Lo and behold, the pharmacy was instantly recognizable as Luke's diner!

• Love 2