Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Lisin

MSNBC

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jjj said:

Is there really no thread for "Meet the Press"?

Also, there appears to be no general thread for comments on guests anchors MSNBC.  Chris Jansing is guest host at "Meet the Press" today, and on many other shows (guest anchor), but I can't find the place to remark on this. 

A request can be made for a "Meet the Press" forum section here. People usually comment about guest hosts and anchors without shows in this thread as long as the comments aren't too specific when it comes to what's actually discussed on air. 

MSNBC’s Thomas Roberts returns to Atlanta as a CBS46 evening anchor

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Very sad news about Ed Schultz.  I was a big fan of Ed's. I listened to his radio show and watched The Ed Show every day.

Ed really changed in a negative way for me after he left MSNBC

Edited by stormy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/5/2018 at 7:33 PM, stormy said:

Very sad news about Ed Schultz.  I was a big fan of Ed's. I listened to his radio show and watched The Ed Show every day.

Ed really changed in a negative way for me after he left MSNBC

 

I liked him when he had his show on MSNBC. I was sorry when they cancelled it.

I don't watch the RT channel, so I don't know how his show was there.

?????

I was wondering the other day why Richard Painter seems to have been absent lately as a MSNBC contributor lately, and I think I found the answer: he's now running for the Senate in MN.

Edited by DownTheShore
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think I may have opined before on the state of weekend programming on MSNBC.  Rerunning Friday's shows (Chris Hayes, Rachel, Lawrence, etc) on Saturday afternoons/evenings is a missed opportunity.  For the love of God, this is a 24-hour news channel...news shows should NOT be rerun.  It is lazy, cheap and tacky.  And these days, I switch the channel every time Joy Reid comes on.  I don't know how she has been able to stay on-air after revelations of her long-ago scandalous posts.  Maybe the network is hesitant to let a person of color go after the horrible way they handled Melissa Harris Perry's abrupt departure.  I liked her program and liked the calm, easy manner in which it was presented.  So of course we cannot have that.

Here's an idea...give reporters large blocks on time on Saturdays and Sundays.  Like Joy but not her.  Three hours of one host and reporters and then two or three blocks of other hosts. Have time for long discussions and not just bits and pieces where everyone tries to get their points in.  The anchors would not necessarily have to be young...just knowledgeable and eager. And maybe find someone to offset what seems to be hours of Alex Witt; who keeps popping up between shows or some such.  We don't need to see a host/hostess newsreading. Hey...here's a thought.  Give Chris Matthews and Andrea Mitchell these shows on the weekends.  They are knowledgeable, have gravitas, and to me have run their course in relevancy.  I say this as a senior citizen.  They are polar opposites so would be great having back-to-back shows.  Just think, hours of Chris interrupting, spitting, etc.  Then hours of Andrea acting like a Xanax.  Winning.

Really...rerunning the previous day's news shows.  Shameless.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

And hey, MSNBC, stop making every show, every hour be about politics.  I watch CNN so I can find out what's going in the world and Bloomberg.

The only reason I watch Chris Hayes and Lawrence is because I like to them.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Kemper said:

Maybe the network is hesitant to let a person of color go after the horrible way they handled Melissa Harris Perry's abrupt departure.  I liked her program and liked the calm, easy manner in which it was presented.  So of course we cannot have that.

I liked MHP too, even though the "lithping" got on my nerves.  Her guests seemed to like her as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Are we ready for team Mike Avenatti/Anthony Scarramuchi??  I'd watch, over Chris Matthews (whom I used to enjoy, but his interruptions kill me, too, as does the staggering conceit of  "tell me something I don't know"  - so many choices, where to begin?) 

Used to like Laurence O'Donnell but now find him often overly sanctimonious.  Like Ari a lot when he's discussing law, but hate his constant rap references.

Hadn't heard about Joy Reid's problems, but if we were all pilloried for views we held 12 yrs ago, there'd be many red faces & ruined careers.  What I wonder is why every liberal- leaning public figure is held to higher standards of honesty, perceived morality, etc., while Dear Leader lies on the hour & his polls improve.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Are we ready for team Mike Avenatti/Anthony Scarramuchi

I vote no.

They should give Kasie a daily slot.

As for Tweety Bird Matthews, yes he has his quirks - the interruptions, the inside-the-Beltway clubbiness, the references to Dems gone by. But he can be feisty and he knows when people are trying to blow smoke up his ass. Back in the day the Bush admin would avoid booking administration guests like the plague, because he would be hard on them (at the time the awful Campbell Brown was his main sub, and her husband actually worked for the administrstion. Why this wasn't a conflict, I don't know.  But in any event, the Bushies would only let their admin go on Hardball when she was hosting.)

If you wanna see Tweety at his best, see if you can track down him calling out and schooling Reince Preibus in 2012 for some awful dog-whistle stuff about Obama.

Also, it came out during the Scooter Libby brouhahah that Matthews and the Carville/Matalin/Tim Russert clique hated each other, which boosted Matthews in my opinion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

Are we ready for team Mike Avenatti/Anthony Scarramuchi?? 

Avenatti?  Yes.  The Mooch?  No.

 

36 minutes ago, telemachus2 said:

Hadn't heard about Joy Reid's problems, but if we were all pilloried for views we held 12 yrs ago, there'd be many red faces & ruined careers.  What I wonder is why every liberal- leaning public figure is held to higher standards of honesty, perceived morality, etc., while Dear Leader lies on the hour & his polls improve.

My issue with her was not about views held 12 years ago because I do believe that people can evolve and change their views.  Instead, it was that she chose to lie and say her Twitter account was hacked when it apparently wasn't. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Avenatti?  Yes.  The Mooch?  No.

 

My issue with her was not about views held 12 years ago because I do believe that people can evolve and change their views.  Instead, it was that she chose to lie and say her Twitter account was hacked when it apparently wasn't. 

That is it in a nutshell. I know she has evolved....I just wish she had not tried to cover it up.  That is what, for me, made her unwatchable.

I guess that the network makes a lot of money by showing reruns.  Three or four less hours of programming to fill!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I liked MHP too, even though the "lithping" got on my nerves. 

I liked her, too.  She always seemed to have actually done the research herself, not handed it off to an assistant.  BUT.  I tried to listen to her on Sirius/XM one day.  All I could hear was the lisp.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wish Ari would quit with the "cute" humor & facetious remarks, especially when the guest can't "see" that it's a joke.  Ari isn't as cool as he thinks he is ... just saying'.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Alex got Hugh Hewitt's half hour. No surprise but it shows how MSNBC has no imagination.

Also this morning was so disappointing. They can't even break into a repeat of MJ to cover breaking news.

Edited by stormy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2018 at 7:43 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I wish Ari would quit with the "cute" humor & facetious remarks, especially when the guest can't "see" that it's a joke.  Ari isn't as cool as he thinks he is ... just saying'.

Ari is really not that cool, I remember his days during The Cycle and he was nothing but a legal guy. To me he reminds of of those suburban guys who think it is cute acting hip among his friends and in his house. However put him around some real hip hop artists or guys who definitely got swag he would be a lost deer. 

Speaking of Ari, I have a feeling that there is some tension between him and Stephanie Ruhle. When I see those two together, Stephanie gets kind of irritated with Ari. I saw those something weeks ago going at and Stephanie indirectly told her guests that Ario thinks he is the only hip star on the network and it is not so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hallie Jackson's unfortunate wardrobe choice broadcasting from (I  think)  London:  Every time I see her it looks like she's got one of those paper bibs on from the dentist's office.  Maybe seeing the entire dress gives a different vibe, but since we only see her from the chest up, that's what it looks like.

Her constant "Yah!"s and 'Mmmmm!"s when someone else is speaking just grinds my gears.  She does it constantly, as if to prove that, yeah maybe the other guy said it, but she knew it first.   She bugs the hell out of me.  Between that, her fast-talking, the constant interrupting of all her guests, and her draggy hair, I usually switch to CNN when she's on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Hallie Jackson's unfortunate wardrobe choice broadcasting from (I  think)  London:  Every time I see her it looks like she's got one of those paper bibs on from the dentist's office.  Maybe seeing the entire dress gives a different vibe, but since we only see her from the chest up, that's what it looks like.

Her constant "Yah!"s and 'Mmmmm!"s when someone else is speaking just grinds my gears.  She does it constantly, as if to prove that, yeah maybe the other guy said it, but she knew it first.   She bugs the hell out of me.  Between that, her fast-talking, the constant interrupting of all her guests, and her draggy hair, I usually switch to CNN when she's on.

I watch Stephanie Ruhle then I change the channel . Stephanie Ruhle can be too much too but I give her a slight pass cause I know she is not a trained journalist and got into the field late and has not been doing it long enough. She is very new when it comes to covering politics. However, that detachment from not being a long time journalist makes her refreshing in certain increments. 

Hallie  makes me very uncomfortable cause she talks too fast, and she thinks in her mind she is some hard hitting journalist. These young reporters at MSNBC are overrated except for Kristen Welker and Kasie Hunt. I agree her constant "mmmmm's" is very irritating and disrespectful. Does she have any tv consultants cause she looks like a fool doing that. Hallie Jackson's fast rise is very puzzling, she subbed for Kate Snow on Nightly News a week ago. I don't know what she is doing to get such a fast rise cause she was a low level reporter covering trivial news then she got the beat of a lifetime covering 2016 election and then she got promoted as Chief White House correspondent over long time veterans like Kristen Welker, Peter Alexander and even Chris Jansing. She looks good in front the cameras but she is emotionally immature and gets rattled very easily when she is challenged. 

Edited by Carmen Sandiego
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I saw something this morning about Joy Reid's ratings dropping...maybe 20%?  I can't remember the exact figure, so if I'm wrong, it is not intentional.  

I think MSNBC is enamored with the youth of some of it's reporters.  Katy Tur, Hallie Jackson, Kasie Hunt.  They were the "Girls on the Bus" during the campaign and worked long hours for what seemed to be days on end.  I really haven't seen that much of Hallie Jackson's reporting since the election; I see a lot of Katy Tur; and Kasie Hunt has her own show on Sundays, plus her regular appearances on Morning Joe (with the horrid lightning bolt).  My wish is that they would have taken these three; maybe add another one (or two) and have a "View" type show on daily.  They could do maybe a 2-hour block.  So someone else's show would have to go; I can think of a couple.

It is fairly obvious that some of the entrenched on-air people cannot handle breaking news.  They can read the news and do interviews; but a couple are not adept at responding to live events.  I was, however, fascinated by MJ this morning ... fact checking in real time.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:02 PM, stormy said:

Hugh Hewitt was a bad fit for MSNBC.
I wonder what they'll do with his half hour?
I'm sorry to say they'll probably just lump it in with Alex Witt's show. :(

Well, you called it back when he did his last show.  It was on at 5:30 AM on the West Coast -- who ever got up to watch that on a Saturday?  You are right, just giving Alex (who I can barely stand for different reasons) is a complete lack of imagination.  

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, stormy said:

Alex got Hugh Hewitt's half hour. No surprise but it shows how MSNBC has no imagination.
Also this morning was so disappointing. They can't even break into a repeat of MJ to cover breaking news.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

3 hours ago, Kemper said:

I saw something this morning about Joy Reid's ratings dropping...maybe 20%?  I can't remember the exact figure, so if I'm wrong, it is not intentional.  

I think MSNBC is enamored with the youth of some of it's reporters.  Katy Tur, Hallie Jackson, Kasie Hunt.  They were the "Girls on the Bus" during the campaign and worked long hours for what seemed to be days on end.  I really haven't seen that much of Hallie Jackson's reporting since the election; I see a lot of Katy Tur; and Kasie Hunt has her own show on Sundays, plus her regular appearances on Morning Joe (with the horrid lightning bolt).  My wish is that they would have taken these three; maybe add another one (or two) and have a "View" type show on daily.  They could do maybe a 2-hour block.  So someone else's show would have to go; I can think of a couple.

It is fairly obvious that some of the entrenched on-air people cannot handle breaking news.  They can read the news and do interviews; but a couple are not adept at responding to live events.  I was, however, fascinated by MJ this morning ... fact checking in real time.  

Well MSNBC is trying to go back to their roots and be more hard hitting and reporter based network like they were in the early 2000s. The only legit all around on MSNBC is Chris Jansing, she is both a reporter and anchor. They are trying to  turn Hallie Jackson into one but she lacks good synch qualities and she tends to talk to fast and ramble when she is not on script. 

Kristen Welker is the best reporter out the bunch cause she stays on message and never loses her emotional train when she is talking. 

Good anchors are a dime a dozen nowadays cause it is very easy to put your opinion on things and some of these reporters tend to show their color reporting at times. What I mean is saying things that is not really necessary,It is real skill to report without being animated and keeping audience attention cause when you are on camera you are always under pressure. Also the use of language is so important, not many hosts have that ability to cut through the meat in reporting a story. 

Good anchors I recommend that are good, synch and don't waste time is Lester Holt, Chris Jansing, and I know they are not popular on this forum but there are some good non partisan anchors on Fox like Harris Faulkner.

Edited by Carmen Sandiego
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Carmen Sandiego said:

Good anchors I recommend that are good, synch and don't waste time is Lester Holt, Chris Jansing, and I know they are not popular on this forum but there are some good non partisan anchors on Fox like Harris Faulkner.

I think Chris Jansing is terrific and focused; she has been guest anchoring different daytime MSNBC shows almost every day for the past two months.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/10/2018 at 11:11 PM, Carmen Sandiego said:

Ari is really not that cool, I remember his days during The Cycle and he was nothing but a legal guy. To me he reminds of of those suburban guys who think it is cute acting hip among his friends and in his house. However put him around some real hip hop artists or guys who definitely got swag he would be a lost deer. 

Speaking of Ari, I have a feeling that there is some tension between him and Stephanie Ruhle. When I see those two together, Stephanie gets kind of irritated with Ari. I saw those something weeks ago going at and Stephanie indirectly told her guests that Ario thinks he is the only hip star on the network and it is not so. 

I like Ari a lot and his affection for hip hop is endearing. He is very popular with radio DJs and hip hop artists who watch his show. I love his use of hip slang and lingo to explain the law. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Carmen Sandiego said:

Well MSNBC is trying to go back to their roots and be more hard hitting and reporter based network like they were in the early 2000s. The only legit all around on MSNBC is Chris Jansing, she is both a reporter and anchor. They are trying to  turn Hallie Jackson into one but she lacks good synch qualities and she tends to talk to fast and ramble when she is not on script. 

Kristen Welker is the best reporter out the bunch cause she stays on message and never loses her emotional train when she is talking. 

Good anchors are a dime a dozen nowadays cause it is very easy to put your opinion on things and some of these reporters tend to show their color reporting at times. What I mean is saying things that is not really necessary,It is real skill to report without being animated and keeping audience attention cause when you are on camera you are always under pressure. Also the use of language is so important, not many hosts have that ability to cut through the meat in reporting a story. 

Good anchors I recommend that are good, synch and don't waste time is Lester Holt, Chris Jansing, and I know they are not popular on this forum but there are some good non partisan anchors on Fox like Harris Faulkner.

Lester is my favorite news anchor, followed by the CBS guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

Lester is my favorite news anchor, followed by the CBS guy.

Lester Holt is my favorite too, he is very cool. I could listen to him talk all day. He respects his audience and does not talk down to them.

Can't say the same thing for guys like Joe Scarbourough, Chuck Todd, Craig Melvin, and Chris Cumo. Though I like Chris when he engages with politicians, as a host, he talks down to his audience. 

As for CBS do you mean Scott Pelley or Jeff Glor?

Edited by Carmen Sandiego
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/12/2018 at 7:51 PM, Carmen Sandiego said:

Also the use of language is so important, not many hosts have that ability to cut through the meat in reporting a story.

 

What so many of the current crop of anchors, reporters, and panelists don't realize is that when an idea can be expressed economically--with the fewest possible words--it is far more powerful.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

16 hours ago, Carmen Sandiego said:

Lester Holt is my favorite too, he is very cool. I could listen to him talk all day. He respects his audience and does not talk down to them.

Can't say the same thing for guys like Joe Scarbourough, Chuck Todd, Craig Melvin, and Chris Cumo. Though I like Chris when he engages with politicians, as a host, he talks down to his audience. 

As for CBS do you mean Scott Pelley or Jeff Glor?

Sorry, I went blank when I was typing my comment.  Jeff Glor is my favorite on CBS now, but I did like Scott Pelley.

Share this post


Link to post

Seeing that lying fabulist Brian Williams on this morning "covering" the Putin/Trump meeting raises the question again of why the hell does MSNBC continue to employ this man. Feeds right into the "fake news" narrative.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

Seeing that lying fabulist Brian Williams on this morning "covering" the Putin/Trump meeting raises the question again of why the hell does MSNBC continue to employ this man. Feeds right into the "fake news" narrative.

I've always liked Brian & was really annoyed with him when he lied about his participation in various "theatres".  I've gotten over it!!!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Absent something egregious, I think everyone deserves a second chance, so I think Brian Williams has learned his lesson and deserves one, too.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Mumbles said:

Seeing that lying fabulist Brian Williams on this morning "covering" the Putin/Trump meeting raises the question again of why the hell does MSNBC continue to employ this man. Feeds right into the "fake news" narrative.

I don't understand it either, and yet they banned Ann Curry from television when she did nothing wrong, I read that they did not want to give a huge severance package which is why they decided to downgrade him to MSNBC. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Ann Curry was an awful interviewer, and in today's #MeToo world, if she had caressed Brad Pitt's face like she did back then, she probably would have been banned.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Absent something egregious, I think everyone deserves a second chance, so I think Brian Williams has learned his lesson and deserves one, too.

I was always a fan of his, and was really disappointed when the story about him broke.  I have no problem with him being given a second chance, but it does annoy me that he has stepped into such a high profile role with seemingly no repercussions for his actions.  Let him spend some time in the field doing the grunt work reporting to earn his way back to the big chair in the studio.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I was always a fan of his, and was really disappointed when the story about him broke.  I have no problem with him being given a second chance, but it does annoy me that he has stepped into such a high profile role with seemingly no repercussions for his actions.  Let him spend some time in the field doing the grunt work reporting to earn his way back to the big chair in the studio.

An 11 pm time slot isn't exactly prime time, and I do think that he still handles breaking news better than almost anyone at MSNBC.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm fine with Brian Williams as a TV host.

No, he's  not a news anchor IMO. However, his delivery is so absurd sometimes that I think it's best left to the few that haven't moved on from the news by 11 pm.

He does have good guests.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, stormy said:

I'm fine with Brian Williams as a TV host.

No, he's  not a news anchor IMO. However, his delivery is so absurd sometimes t

He sounds like Thurston Howell III.  And when he tries to make clever little "jokes", I cringe.   However, he doesn't constantly rudely interrupt his guests (does he?) like Chuck, Chris M., Hallie, Stephanie, Joe S., Ari, and just about every other MSNBC host does.  If he does, it's pretty minimal by comparison.   I don't have a problem with him getting a second chance, but it seems he began that second chance at third base instead of the batter's box.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

He was suspended for SIX MONTHS & demoted to a late night moderator.  I think that's an adequate punishment & not exactly "third base".  Just sayin'.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

He sounds like Thurston Howell III.  And when he tries to make clever little "jokes", I cringe.   However, he doesn't constantly rudely interrupt his guests (does he?) like Chuck, Chris M., Hallie, Stephanie, Joe S., Ari, and just about every other MSNBC host does.  If he does, it's pretty minimal by comparison.   I don't have a problem with him getting a second chance, but it seems he began that second chance at third base instead of the batter's box.

I read from insiders that NBC management does not see him going back to NBC network. He is really a parody of a news anchor now, to me he is something to laugh at. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Katy Tur has filled in for two vacationing anchors plus hosted her own show today.  

I just can't* stop watching today, despite having my computer open to work!  Ari Melber had a fantastic first guest, a retired Lt. Colonel who was horrified and hilarious.  I won't get into the news part of it, but if you can watch it online, watch for the Russian accent parody ("we geeeft from frrriend") around 15 minutes into the show.  

[*That's "can't", with the contraction.]

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I have gone from resenting Brian Williams and his self-importance to not minding him too much.  This is only because he can handle breaking news; we have seen that not all the anchors can do that.  I guess it isn't easy; not like "news reading" and interviewing guests.  Not that interviewing guests is easy...takes lots of prep and smarts.  I shouldn't compare all the anchors to Joe and Meeka.  The Gold Dust Twins.  

Sad to say, I usually turn on CNN for breaking news.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

These words of praise are making me reconsider Brian Williams. My problem with him has never been so much the lying part; that wasn't good, but I can believe he learned his lesson. My problem is that he comes off so preening, so pleased with himself for his "clever" turns of phrase which aren't half so clever as he thinks they are. And his body position--leaning his torso down and camera-right, so that he can tilt his head up and toward camera--annoys. I know we're supposed to get something from that posture--something to do with "look how intense and involved I am, leaning in to this story like nobody's business"--but it's transparent and silly. He does have abilities, though, which you guys are pointing out, so maybe I should just get over it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I’ve been liking BWs show at 11. Agreed he brings an odd intensity to it but the structure and format are just right for me. He covers the news in an informative way, digs in but not too much. He makes some quips but doesn’t cover everything from his personal political POV. I’d actually like to see him move to 10 I think MSNBC could use him to get better viewership for people who want straighter news coverage vs Don Lemon or Fox. And advertise it as such. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

My problem is that he comes off so preening, so pleased with himself for his "clever" turns of phrase which aren't half so clever as he thinks they are.

That's him alright!  lol

Nevertheless, he's what I'd call an "old school professional" when it comes to being a news anchor.  

I do miss Peter Jennings though. *sigh*

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

To me, he looks like an even more punchable Seth McFarlane. 

I only see him on Morning Joe, does he do other shows?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

On Ali Velshi's show today Hallie Jackson was on right after she got into it with Sara Sanders. Wow, Hallie is one tough reporter. NBC did well to make her the chief WH reporter.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Mumbles said:

I only see him on Morning Joe, does he do other shows?

I only see him on Morning Joe and maybe that's the reason for his stinkface!

Share this post


Link to post

Katie Tur has been subbing for Chuck Todd, and the handoff from her to Ari Melber has been painful to watch.  They're both trying too hard to be funny and witty, and it's not working at all.  Just stop it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Katie Tur has been subbing for Chuck Todd, and the handoff from her to Ari Melber has been painful to watch.  They're both trying too hard to be funny and witty, and it's not working at all.  Just stop it.

Completely agree!  I know Ari is trying to be cute, but it is now coming across like that office worker who keeps complimenting you and not thinking you are appreciative enough about comments you never wanted in the first place. Starts pleasant, but then verges on inappropriate pressure.  Two days in a row now, spending way too much time in the handoff about Katy's voice and whether it is holding up.  Then trying to make up for the pressure by saying "you are only losing your voice because of the outstanding work you are doing."  Just "Bye!" would be fine, Ari.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, jjj said:

Completely agree!  I know Ari is trying to be cute, but it is now coming across like that office worker who keeps complimenting you and not thinking you are appreciative enough about comments you never wanted in the first place. Starts pleasant, but then verges on inappropriate pressure.  Two days in a row now, spending way too much time in the handoff about Katy's voice and whether it is holding up.  Then trying to make up for the pressure by saying "you are only losing your voice because of the outstanding work you are doing."  Just "Bye!" would be fine, Ari.  

That's a pretty good summation of Ari's problem, but I also think that Katy is guilty too.  There are times when he stops talking, but then she continues talking.  Since that's not her regular time slot I guess they're not used to working with each other and can't pick up each others' cues to just shut the hell up and move on.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:34 PM, Ohwell said:

That's a pretty good summation of Ari's problem, but I also think that Katy is guilty too.  There are times when he stops talking, but then she continues talking.  Since that's not her regular time slot I guess they're not used to working with each other and can't pick up each others' cues to just shut the hell up and move on.  

Everybody is trying to be like Lawrence and Rachel, they have a nice chemistry. They tease each other support each other and are having fun doing it. It is organic.  I also think Joy does it, just as well, when she is subbing for Rachel and she is doing it with Lawrence.  I cringe when I see other people do it. It is obviously forced.  I noticed that other networks are following that formula. On CNN, Cuomo and Don Lemon have been doing it, as well.  They all need to stop.. Plus, Rachel and Lawrence started doing it, when the network was considering, not renewing his contract.   Rachel, being the ratings juggernaut on the channel was signaling to the network that she wanted Lawrence to stay, by doing the handoff to him. It was a nice segueway into his show. 

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I burst out laughing during the first five minutes of Brian Williams' show (last night, but watching tonight) when he said apparently/apparent four times in less than five minutes.  He had to be aware of it & I'm sure some writer got hell!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
saoirse

This topic is to discuss the business of MSNBC. It is NOT to discuss what was on MSBNC today. This hopefully will prevent us from discussing our opinions of politics and politicians. Posts will be removed and warnings may be issued for repeated occurrences of what was on the air. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size