Type keyword(s) to search

MSNBC

Lisin
  • Start Topic

Wow.  There's nothing here!  Not a good sign but I'll plunge ahead anyway, with hopes that someone will see this ........ Does anyone  know whatever happened to that smarmy little Luke Russert?  In an instant several years ago it seemed as if he was everywhere on MSNBC.  He guest commented on every show, reported from The Hill, subbed for every single host who took a day off.  Then BAM! in the blink of an eye he just disappeared.  I can't seem to find anything on my internet searches, other than he left the network last summer (which I am eternally grateful for, by the way).  It all begs the question of what the hell happened.  He went from being the Golden Boy to a pariah overnight.  Is there a fabulous snarker somewhere on this board who can shed some light on this?  I'd be ever so grateful. ✌️

Edited by Ladyrain
  • Love 4

I've been watching a fair amount of MSNBC in the past few days and practically every show has a person named Malcolm Nance speaking on terrorism and Russia. I've poked around the web a lot and his credentials seem a bit thin. 

I wish I knew the story behind Russert. I couldn't stand him, and he was terrible at his job. He occasionally tweets, but nothing particularly insightful or interesting (no surprise.)

..Luke Russert thankfully disappeared but now we are treated to Jacob something-or-other.  I. Can't. Stand. Him.  For one thing, he looks like Joe Scarborough's Mini-Me.  He hosted a show right after Al Sharpton's this morning.  Please please please get him off my screen; before he has only been on in small doses.  At least I think he has been.  Was there no one else they could find to host this morning?  There is so much up-and-coming talent on MSNBC that does not include this young man. I hate to sound harsh but as soon as I see him, I switch the channel to CNN.  

• Love 2

I was wondering what happened to all the MSNBC posts and I see they were moved to a new forum called Political Network Talk.  I'm so happy the posts are not gone.  I'm not sure what I would post here, exactly.  Maybe host changes, schedule changes?  

44 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I was wondering what happened to all the MSNBC posts and I see they were moved to a new forum called Political Network Talk.  I'm so happy the posts are not gone.  I'm not sure what I would post here, exactly.  Maybe host changes, schedule changes?  

@SierraMist, can you direct me to Political Network Talk? I'm not finding it listed under the "P"s in the forum listings, nor am I finding it under Misc TV Talk, or anywhere else. Are the posts in Political Network Talk (if it exists) the "vaulted" posts? If so, is there anywhere to currently comment on the programming we see on MSNBC? Apparently this forum we're communicating on now is only supposed to be about the "business" of MSNBC. Unless I'm misunderstanding something. Which I very well might be, because the directive is very confusing!

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Milburn Stone said:

@SierraMist, can you direct me to Political Network Talk? I'm not finding it listed under the "P"s in the forum listings, nor am I finding it under Misc TV Talk, or anywhere else. Are the posts in Political Network Talk (if it exists) the "vaulted" posts? If so, is there anywhere to currently comment on the programming we see on MSNBC? Apparently this forum we're communicating on now is only supposed to be about the "business" of MSNBC. Unless I'm misunderstanding something. Which I very well might be, because the directive is very confusing!

Milburn Stone, I'm so sorry.  I thought we could post in the forum called Political Network Talk, but I see now it's just the collection of previous posts (I didn't understand vaulted apparently). 

Well, to keep this on topic, I want to say that I'm looking forward to Ari Melber's new show on Sunday nights from 6pm to 8pm eastern time.   Not sure what else can be said here.  

• Love 1

Gang, the new policy is, if you want to discuss a program that airs on MSNBC [or Fox News or CNN], if the forum does not exist, you may request one in the New Show Request Thread. The same rule would apply in keeping to context of what aired on that INDIVIDUAL show. (Such as, if one wishes to discuss Rachel Maddow, do so in her show thread; if it does not exist, someone may request a forum...)

But the MSNBC thread is now just for talking about, say, hiring and firing of personalities, what shows are canceled or debuting, that sort of general stuff.

But - as far as I know - general political talk, as always, is no go here at PTV.

Any questions, please PM me.

• Love 2

Does anyone know how the ratings are with Greta Van Susteron?  Susteren?  I figured the ratings were not that good for the Halperin/Heileman show.  But face it, who would want to watch any show with Halperin on it?  I like Heileman, though. But I have to wonder if the ratings for the 6:00 Greta V show are any better?  She is haaard to look at and I don't know why.  She never moves her head?  Her neck?  She is not unattractive, but just ..there is just something off-putting.  Is MSNBC pleased with her show/ratings?  And how are all the night-time ratings?  Morning Blow, I know, has had a ratings boost.  And I figure Rachel Maddow's show does well.  The Huffington Post used to post the top 20 cable news show ratings.

Face it, neither CNN or MSNBC can come close to Fox.  But who is running 2nd?

• Love 1

As Dave said here

We just re-committed to removing non-show current events/political discussion from the forums

Again. This forum is a place to discuss the business of networks. If you are looking for a site to discuss breaking news and how it is covered this is not the place for you. This is a TV site, not a news site. There are numerous places on the web to discuss news, politics and how they are covered, PTV isn't one of them.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

Wow.  There's nothing here!  Not a good sign but I'll plunge ahead anyway, with hopes that someone will see this ........ Does anyone  know whatever happened to that smarmy little Luke Russert?  In an instant several years ago it seemed as if he was everywhere on MSNBC.  He guest commented on every show, reported from The Hill, subbed for every single host who took a day off.  Then BAM! in the blink of an eye he just disappeared.  I can't seem to find anything on my internet searches, other than he left the network last summer (which I am eternally grateful for, by the way).  It all begs the question of what the hell happened.  He went from being the Golden Boy to a pariah overnight.  Is there a fabulous snarker somewhere on this board who can shed some light on this?  I'd be ever so grateful. ✌️

Luke Russert quit MSNBC prior to the political conventions which is extremely odd. I suspect he just got burnout. It was stressful for him being known as the" Sage of Capital Hill" & having everyone at MSNBC be very respectful of his dad 's career. IIRC some people at NBC wanted him to take over from his dad and start hosting Meet the Press right away.

On 2/19/2017 at 9:29 PM, Kemper said:

Does anyone know how the ratings are with Greta Van Susteron?  Susteren?  I figured the ratings were not that good for the Halperin/Heileman show.  But face it, who would want to watch any show with Halperin on it?  I like Heileman, though. But I have to wonder if the ratings for the 6:00 Greta V show are any better?  She is haaard to look at and I don't know why.  She never moves her head?  Her neck?  She is not unattractive, but just ..there is just something off-putting.  Is MSNBC pleased with her show/ratings?  And how are all the night-time ratings?  Morning Blow, I know, has had a ratings boost.  And I figure Rachel Maddow's show does well.  The Huffington Post used to post the top 20 cable news show ratings.

Face it, neither CNN or MSNBC can come close to Fox.  But who is running 2nd?

Speaking for myself, my biggest gripe with Greta is her mush-mouth.  She refuses to properly enunciate words - to the extent that I've seriously considered activating the closed caption option so I can 'see' what she's saying.  Three syllable words become two and she's allergic to vowels  (president = prshdnt).  It's exhausting trying to listen to her; why should I have to try so hard ??   I have no earthly idea how she advanced so far in the Talking on TV For a Living business.

• Love 7

IIRC some people at NBC wanted him to take over from his dad and start hosting Meet the Press right away.

I do remember that rumor going around. It was laughable then - a 22-year old with NO political reporting experience hosting a major news program, just because he gave a nice eulogy at his father's funeral?  In retrospect, now knowing how terrible he was as a reporter - he basically repeated what Boehner's staff told him, so much so that Boehner once blew him a kiss at a press conference - it would have ended MTP.

David Gregory was a disaster, Chuck Todd isn't much better, and to be completely honest, Tim Russert was a backslapper who had his panel of friends - Matalin & Carville, Doris Kearns Goodwin, Mark McKinnon - on every damn week. When you see archival footage of this show from the 1950s, 1960s - just a panel of working journalists shooting questions at a guest - you realize how bad this show disintegrated. It's a simple formula, and why they don't return to it is beyond my understanding.

• Love 4
On 2/19/2017 at 10:36 AM, Mumbles said:

I've been watching a fair amount of MSNBC in the past few days and practically every show has a person named Malcolm Nance speaking on terrorism and Russia. I've poked around the web a lot and his credentials seem a bit thin. 

I know that some wikipedia information might be suspect, but from what I've read his credentials don't seem "thin" to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcolm_Nance

• Love 3

YMMV. But I googled the "think tank" that Wikipedia says he's the executive director of, and it seems to be a one-man operation: him. No board, no staff, no fellows, etc. (Just like how the Catholic League is one jerk, William Donahue.). And the website looks like an Angelfire website from 1998.

This is a field where there is a lot of shadiness because people can always claim they have "top secret" experience that defies confirmation - a few years ago John Kerry put a lot of credence in a scholar who claimed to have insight into Syria but had completely fabricated credentials (google Elizabeth O'Bagy if interested).  

And the number of times he's on is also a red flag to me. 

But again - YMMV.

• Love 1
(edited)

This guy I follow on Twitter, John Schindler, who was on MSNBC recently, doesn't consider Malcolm Nance credible, "nobody serious does; Nance isn't a counter intel expert in any capacity."

Schindler has this in his Twitter profile:

John Schindler Verified account @20committee

#Natsec columnist @observer, security consultant, author, provocateur, bon vivant, polyglot, counterintelligencer, cat guardian. Formerly NSA, NAVSECGRU, NWC

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1

This guy I follow on Twitter, John Schindler, who was on MSNBC recently, doesn't consider Malcolm Nance credible, "nobody serious does; Nance isn't a counter intel expert in any capacity."

Yeah the more I poke around, the more I suspect this guy is full of it. Nothing he claims on his website seems to be verifiable. His co-author on the book he wrote doesn't seem to be on the up and up either. And anyone can claim to be a spy, the government would never confirm or deny.

If I cared more, I would FOIA his military records. And if I worked at MSNBC I would think twice about booking him so much if at all.

• Love 1
On 2/27/2017 at 4:35 PM, movingtargetgal said:

I would love to see Rachel Maddow become the next host of Meet the Press.  

I watched her show recently & she doesn't have many guests on it. She also spends a long time trying to make a point. I doubt Chuck Todd would step aside for her.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, oakville said:

She also spends a long time trying to make a point.

This is my main complaint with her. She has points to make; it's just that you (the viewer) get to her point a long time before she does. My guess is the reason is not that she "likes to hear herself talk" but that she has a full hour to fill and she knows she doesn't have enough to fill it without stretching her material to the breaking point.

• Love 4

I had the radio on in the car today, listening to MSNBC.  Katy Tur was interviewing John Dean.  At least it SOUNDED like Katy Tur.  The interview was so interesting!  She asked the right questions...and his answers were so on-the-mark.  MSNBC really needs to do something more with her than put her here and there.  Well, that goes for all of MSNBC "Girls on the Bus"..  I get thinking what a waste of airtime Meekaah is; well, she makes her Serious Faces when needed.  I don't think The Girls on the Bus had family connections to trade off of...just smart reporting and hard work. Plus, I don't think Meekaah is all that quick on her feet, which you really need to be when the situation calls for it.  I really want to watch MSNBC in the morning...all the guests are informative (that is not true of the MJ regular panel)..and should be showcased.  But as long as MJ gets ratings...we are stuck with them.  And in my case, that is CNN's gain.

• Love 1

I have no idea where to find credible sources for business stories about the networks, but I read somewhere that Joy Reid's contract is coming up, so I'll be very, very concerned and pissed if she isn't signed and they continue fumbling around trying to be watered down Faux.

Found one link from what appears to be a gossip site, so no idea whether these are alt-facts or real facts:

“We are in the middle of a standard renegotiation and we absolutely want to re-sign Joy,” the rep confirmed to BOSSIP. “She’s a critical member of the team who provides top notch analysis and unique perspective.”

Yes, good, you for sure want to resign JR. Remember that. 

I've also noticed that MSNBC has, on occasion, brought back their g*ddamned election music. Yep, the same bloody crap we heard ALL THROUGH 2016. Seriously, MSNBC, unless you have an actual time machine you're offering, I don't need the trauma of reliving that disaster, OK? New music. Please. 

• Love 4
On 3/7/2017 at 10:29 AM, potatoradio said:

I have no idea where to find credible sources for business stories about the networks, but I read somewhere that Joy Reid's contract is coming up, so I'll be very, very concerned and pissed if she isn't signed and they continue fumbling around trying to be watered down Faux.

Loved Samantha Bee's smackdown of MSNBC for passing over Joy and other black female stars to court yet another blond Faux bimbo.

• Love 6
On 3/3/2017 at 1:31 AM, Morrigan said:

Schindler has this in his Twitter profile:

John Schindler Verified account @20committee

#Natsec columnist @observer, security consultant, author, provocateur, bon vivant, polyglot, counterintelligencer, cat guardian. Formerly NSA, NAVSECGRU, NWC

Well, I checked out Schindler too and I'm not sure about his credibility either.  If Nance is suspect as some want to believe, then what about this guy?

http://blackbag.gawker.com/the-crazy-emails-that-took-down-nsa-spook-john-schindle-1610203101

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/423958/

To be honest, I don't understand the piling on of Malcolm Nance when other news contributors credentials might be suspect as well.  Is it because he's black?

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Well, I checked out Schindler too and I'm not sure about his credibility either.  If Nance is suspect as some want to believe, then what about this guy?

http://blackbag.gawker.com/the-crazy-emails-that-took-down-nsa-spook-john-schindle-1610203101

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/423958/

To be honest, I don't understand the piling on of Malcolm Nance when other news contributors credentials might be suspect as well.  Is it because he's black?

Bingo. There's another Black guy Terrell J. Starr who gets questioned about his Russian/Soviet knowledge because of course no Black person could be an expert about foreign affairs. John Schindler is a conservative commentator so there's that.

• Love 6

Watched a tolerable Morning Joe today because No Joe!  Who was the brunette anchorwoman in the 9-10 slot?  She was fantastic!  And her guests were great,too.  The one guest was a lady who, I think, was Vice Chair of the New York Dem Party.  What a refreshing change.  But the anchorwoman was just the best.  She had on Alberto Gonazlez  (who has managed to slither back onto tv) and didn't hesitate to call him on stuff.  Let's put this woman on my imaginary all-women panel from 6-9 every morning.

...Who was the brunette anchorwoman in the 9-10 slot?  She was fantastic!...

Stephanie Ruhle?

She's awesome....I've already fangirled her!  She used to be on Bloomberg TV in the hours when the stock market opens, so sharp and smart, she could keep the dialogue whenever any thing changed.  (can't explain it well, but it was a joy to watch)  Also, love Ali Velshi.  His take down of GOP'ers Trumpcare rhetoric was classic.

• Love 2

Yes, Stephanie Ruhle!  Another possible replacement for Morning Blow.  Here is a new 6-9 panel if we can't have Girls on the Bus.. Stephanie Ruhle, Ali Velshi, Ari Melbar and at least ONE of the Girls on the Bus.  

• Love 1

This is a year old but it's good reading. I hope it contains enough business decision references to qualify as on-topic.

Girls on the Bus: Meet the Women of NBC News

(Andrea) Mitchell summons up an illustrative anecdote: She and a few of her fellow female journalists happened to be booked on the same military transport, traveling from Iraq to Brussels for the NATO summit. “That’s a long, long flight, and it’s stressful. We knew we’d all be on deadline the minute we landed,” Mitchell says. “But you can’t do much on that kind of aircraft. So, we’re sitting in these canvas seats. We’ve all got life jackets on, and you can’t hear because of the noise. And who knows who started it, but at one point someone passed this hand lotion up and down the row. There were so many more women than men on that plane, just passing hand lotion to each other in silence.”

https://www.yahoo.com/style/girls-bus-meet-women-nbc-204925848.html

• Love 1

I'd stopped watching Chris Matthews years ago. Until recently when I tuned into Chris Hayes early one night and Chris Matthews was giving his end of show editorial.

Now, It's a must see for me. He opens like Captain Kirk, "Captain's log, stardate..." and delivers it with no holds barred honesty.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

A reminder: No more posts with political leanings are allowed in here. This is to discuss personalities and the behind-the-scenes stuff on MSNBC only. There's a reason the original forums have been vaulted.

Thank you.

• Love 1