Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Please note: This topic is for the business of CNN. This is not to discuss the news, what's airing on CNN at this moment, or the news of the day. Posts that violate this will be removed and may be subject to sanctions. Thank you.

• Start Topic

When is Jake Tapper's show on?  I always see quotes from him and wish I had watched.  Couldn't they take away one of Wolf Blitzer's 23 hours and give a couple more to Tapper?  Or does he already have a couple hours on-air?

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, stormy said:

Is Frederica Whitfield still on Saturday and Sunday? Ana Cabrera is on for several hours both days and the show's title is CNN Newsroom with Ana Cabrera.

I'm pretty sure she was on today after Fareed.  But I don't know for how long.  There was baseball to watch.

• Love 1

Why does Anderson have to have a cast of dozens? And some pretty awful, unwatchable people at that. Does he make these decisions or have any control over the show's format?

I find myself tuning in just to tune out.

BTW David Axelrod' back on Saturday night with Jerry Brown.

• Love 1
On 2017-05-10 at 9:31 AM, Milburn Stone said:

I wonder how Don Lemon feels about being pre-empted by Jake Tapper whenever anything important happens?

I myself am in support of it 100%.

It seems they are trying to find a time slot for Tapper at night, first they did a week taking an hour away from Anderson which I didn't like because I love Cooper!!  So I wonder if Anderson balked and they decided to try to take one of Don's hours....hmm...

I like Jake Tapper, too...we usually watch MSNBC but I will flip the channel for Tapper.  Why, in the name of all that is holy, can't they take an hour away from Wolf Blitzer?  I like Wolf...maybe CNN thinks he is their version of Walter Cronkite; how about putting him on earlier?  Since we don't watch CNN all that much, how many shows/hours is Wolf on?

• Love 1
On 2017-07-05 at 8:50 AM, Kemper said:

I like Jake Tapper, too...we usually watch MSNBC but I will flip the channel for Tapper.  Why, in the name of all that is holy, can't they take an hour away from Wolf Blitzer?  I like Wolf...maybe CNN thinks he is their version of Walter Cronkite; how about putting him on earlier?  Since we don't watch CNN all that much, how many shows/hours is Wolf on?

Wolf has 3 hours Mon-Fri 1-2 then again from 5-7pm.   I used to dislike him immensely but he is growing on me...LOL. 

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:29 PM, stormy said:

Why does Anderson have to have a cast of dozens? And some pretty awful, unwatchable people at that. Does he make these decisions or have any control over the show's format?

I find myself tuning in just to tune out.

BTW David Axelrod' back on Saturday night with Jerry Brown.

Anderson has one less cast member as of today.  CNN has announced they've jettisoned Jeffrey Lord from the entire network after he tweeted a "Sieg Heil" towards a liberal spokesperson, stating that "Nazi salutes are indefensible."   CNN apparently has a line in the sand, and JL leaped over it.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cnn-cuts-ties-with-jeffrey-lord-after-sieg-heil-tweet/ar-AApQnt7?li=BBnbfcL

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 6

Where is Chad Myers for this Hurricane? They've put in some new guy and are trying to act like we are not going to notice!  Also their graphics on the storm are below their usual standard by far. 

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 2

Chris Cuomo out in the elements in a polo-shirt and bermudas.  Who knew? Made me switch from MSNBC to CNN during the post-hurricane coverage.  And the not-anchorman hair.  Much nicer to look at than Scarborough.  Shallow, I know.  To quote Erma Bombeck..."I have cookie sheets older than him"...may she rest in peace.  

On the not-hunky side...he did a really nice interview with an older lady (probably my age) who was a friend of one of the nursing home patients who died.  He asked a few questions and then...just let her talk.  What has tv journalism come to when we are grateful for small moments like that?

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Kemper said:

He asked a few questions and then...just let her talk.  What has tv journalism come to when we are grateful for small moments like that?

It's a real problem. Not just anchorpeople who won't shut up, but so called "network commentators" and such (the folks who populate Anderson Cooper, Don Lemon, et. al.) who won't shut up when it's their turn. You're there to convey information or ask or answer questions. You're not there to say the exact same thing four times in a row while changing the wording slightly. Cronkite, Sevareid, Brinkley, Chancellor, Howard K. Smith, and all the rest of them back then--they knew how to convey meaning concisely, not redundantly just so they could claim more airtime.

Ironic, isn't it? The less today's broadcast news folk have to say, the longer it takes them to say it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

Saw Don Lemon tonight for the first time in a few weeks, interviewing some Alabama guy from the Roy Moore campaign. Has Don had major botoxing and is he taking heavy-duty tranquilizers? Because his immobilized face and half-dead affect made me think both those things.

• Love 1

I have noticed Don changed his hair and it is longer and darker, didn’t notice the face but I guess men do it too!  I will check it out...no movement above the upper top lip is a clue for me...both Kate and Poppy are pregnant so it will be nice to see John Berman handle it alone...... at least that is my hope!  And the female winners of interrupting a guest are Poppy and Erin, Kate is a close second!  

• Love 1

Does anyone care that Chris Cuomo is getting a prime time show in January?  He's going to be up against Rachel Maddow.  I love Chris so I will probably watch.

As much as I love Rachel's in depth reporting, her lectures put me to sleep.

• Love 2
On 2/17/2017 at 7:37 PM, saoirse said:

A spot to discuss the business of CNN. Please note; this is not the place to discuss the shows of CNN. Show discussion should take place in individual show forums.

A reminder - some posts that weren't about the business of CNN have been removed; discussion of what happens on the shows is not allowed in here. If you have questions, you can ask in the Questions forum, or PM the mods. Thanks.

Is there anything on this network that isn't Breaking News ? Sometimes they even play it before going into a commercial. What's the news ? that they're having a commercial ?

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Orillia said:

Is there anything on this network that isn't Breaking News ? Sometimes they even play it before going into a commercial. What's the news ? that they're having a commercial ?

New slogan: CNN. Breaking Newscasting.

Joan Walsh is on pretty regularly with Erin Burnett. 

She's such a class act. Even when going head to head with the likes of Rick Santorum.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 4

" You've heard from Comey but you haven't heard him answer Jake Tappers Questions " I'm sure they'll be so different from everyone else's. They even have a box onscreen promoting the show in case you missed the hundred times it's been mentioned. At least it isn't the countdown clock ...... yet.

I thought the Jake Tapper interview was good. He asked short questions instead of the way many news people ask 5 minute long questions which include every thought they’ve ever had on the question. Jake asked questions like he wanted to hear the answers. Pushed back when called for and kept the interview focused on Comey. I thought it was one of the better interviews I’ve seen in a while. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, novhappy said:

I thought the Jake Tapper interview was good. He asked short questions instead of the way many news people ask 5 minute long questions which include every thought they’ve ever had on the question. 

I've begun to think that most anchors and panelists think of their airtime analogously to the minutes in a football game. The team that has possession for more minutes out of the 60 in a football game is usually the team that wins. Similarly, anchors and panelists think that if they can "possess" more of the finite time in an interchange with their blather, they win. In football, that works. In cable news, it's repulsive. If only they knew. I'm glad Tapper does.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 2

I was disappointed to see Dana Bash hosting Jake Tapper's State of the Union, but thought I'd give her a chance.  The Crypt Keeper (Kelly Ann Conway) walked all over her with her obfuscation & twisting the question(s) asked.  Poor Dana ... no match!!!

Van Jones show is so interesting. Last night's episode with Van driving around with Wisconsin voter's was a great twist on talking to average people and Van's tribute to his friend Prince was tough. Van had a hard time keeping it together.

• Love 2