Type keyword(s) to search

The Lion King (2019)

starri
  • Start Topic

I think this is the right release year.  There's nothing official, but a bunch of casting news has started dropping.

First it was Donald Glover as Simba, and just a few seconds ago, Jon Favreau dropped a comment on Twitter that James Earl Jones will again be Mufasa.

Am I incredibly excited about this?  Yes I am.

50101458.jpg

• Love 4

Well OF COURSE James Earl Jones is playing Mufasa again. You can't recast him.

I really have no interest in seeing this movie because why have a live action/CGI version? With Jungle Book, there was one human character so they could get away with it. This might not be so lucky.

• Love 2

I am not looking forward to this at all. CGI is getting better and better, but the CGI for animals is just not there yet. Even the best ones I've seen still look off somehow, just a little too unnatural in movement and a little too shiny. I can't get past it, and that's all this movie is going to be.

Plus, why try to remake perfection?

• Love 3
On 2/17/2017 at 9:25 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Well OF COURSE James Earl Jones is playing Mufasa again. You can't recast him.

I really have no interest in seeing this movie because why have a live action/CGI version? With Jungle Book, there was one human character so they could get away with it. This might not be so lucky.

I mean, since it's all talking animals, any remake would have to be another animated film (albeit photorealistic, CGI animation), so yeah, I'm going to need a better reason than "prettier visuals" to be really interested in this.

15 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Why are they doing this?

They haven't cracked how to do underwater scenes with real, live actors for their Little Mermaid remake?

----
Instead of doing yet another remake, I'd rather they make another Rescuers sequel - that would have franchise potential.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Trini said:

Instead of doing yet another remake, I'd rather they make another Rescuers sequel - that would have franchise potential.

I love Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under, but it's too cult-y to justify the investment.  Also, I doubt very seriously they're in a hurry to do a cel animation feature again.

And another reason to do it:  to bring in the wonderful songs from Broadway that aren't in the movie.

This seems like a really dumb idea to me. The cartoon of The Lion King is one of the best movies Disney have made, they aren't going to improve on it with CGI. They didn't improve on The Jungle Book, I doubt they'll improve on Beauty and the Beast, and I'm pretty sure I read that the Cinderella movie was distinctly average.

But if they use the fact they have Donald Glover to make Simba rap, it might at least be worth seeing for a laugh.

But hey, if Disney can keep making good Star Wars movies, what do I care if they use their own stuff as a soulless cash cow?

• Love 3
16 hours ago, starri said:

I love Rescuers and Rescuers Down Under, but it's too cult-y to justify the investment.  Also, I doubt very seriously they're in a hurry to do a cel animation feature again.

I wouldn't expect it to be 2-D animation.

So the hyenas (except Shenzi) have different names? Ok.

Aside from Rogen, the casting is pretty awesome. Yup, we all knew Beyoncé would get cast as Nala. No way Disney was going to waste that opportunity.

But I still can't bring myself to see this. I just don't think it needed a remake.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

Okay, well now I'm a little curious. How much of a remake is this remake going to be? Is it essentially the same script, but with different voices and animation? Will they be doing the same songs? Or is it a different re-telling with the same premise? With Bey in the cast, I can't imagine that she's not going to have a song, and since Nala didn't have one in the original, it'll be a new one, right?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Trini said:

Okay, well now I'm a little curious. How much of a remake is this remake going to be? Is it essentially the same script, but with different voices and animation? Will they be doing the same songs? Or is it a different re-telling with the same premise? With Bey in the cast, I can't imagine that she's not going to have a song, and since Nala didn't have one in the original, it'll be a new one, right?

Maybe they'll have Nala's "Shadowlands" song from the Broadway show.

4 hours ago, GaT said:

I am very confused as to what this movie is. I keep seeing it called "live action", is it going to be people in animal costumes?

It's CGI animals, like The Jungle Book. Though I actually think it would be better if they just made a movie version of the Broadway show.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

It's CGI animals, like The Jungle Book. Though I actually think it would be better if they just made a movie version of the Broadway show.

I didn't see The Jungle Book, so I have no idea what that is, so the actors are just doing voices? They don't actually appear in the movie? I don't understand why it's being called "live action" then, I'm obviously not understanding something.

• Love 1

I admit, I don't understand the purpose of a live-action Lion King.  There are no human characters in the movie, meaning it will be just CGI'd creatures.  It's basically going to be a live-action CGI film and I just don't see the purpose of this.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, benteen said:

I admit, I don't understand the purpose of a live-action Lion King.  There are no human characters in the movie, meaning it will be just CGI'd creatures.  It's basically going to be a live-action CGI film and I just don't see the purpose of this.

Agreed. At least with the Jungle Book, you had Mowgli played by a real actor, and could see him interacting with the CGI animals. This time, it's all just CGI. Even a lot of the scenery will be CGI. I don't see why they're calling it live action.

Maybe they'll tweak the storyline,like with the Jungle Book, and give some things a new twist. But it still feels unnecessary.

I'd much rather see The Sword in the Stone or The Black Cauldron redone instead.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Danny Franks said:

Agreed. At least with the Jungle Book, you had Mowgli played by a real actor, and could see him interacting with the CGI animals. This time, it's all just CGI. Even a lot of the scenery will be CGI. I don't see why they're calling it live action.

Maybe they'll tweak the storyline,like with the Jungle Book, and give some things a new twist. But it still feels unnecessary.

I'd much rather see The Sword in the Stone or The Black Cauldron redone instead.

I'm not sure Disney has the rights to Black Caldron but I would love to see that or Book of Three done in live action.  

ETA: I just looked it up and Disney reacquired the rights to Prydain in 2016 and supposedly is developing a new movie so maybe we'll get our wish.

To stay on topic, it does seem odd to call a CGI movie "live action".  Especially as the difference between Toy Story (as cartoon) and this is the art design (cartoony vs photo-realistic but they are both animated).

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 1

Yeah, I was about to say that Disney is doing something with The Chronicles of Prydain and the Arthur mythology (not so much the animated movies).

I don't get the purpose of this either. You might as well call this a 3D re-make, because it's not really live-action. Alfre Woodard as Simba's mother is great, but it's not like she has a big role. I hope they include a couple of the Broadway show's songs rather than writing new ones. "Shadowland" for Nala, "Endless Night" for Simba, and/or "They Live in You" would be my picks.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2017 at 11:59 AM, benteen said:

I admit, I don't understand the purpose of a live-action Lion King.  

$$$$$$

Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast grossed over a billion dollars each. Disney will pimp live action versions of their movies as long as it's profitable.

I was a never a huge Lion King fan to begin with and casting Beyonce pretty much guaranteed I won't be dishing out eleven dollars to see it. 

• Love 2
On 11/6/2017 at 3:47 PM, BitterApple said:

I was a never a huge Lion King fan to begin with and casting Beyonce pretty much guaranteed I won't be dishing out eleven dollars to see it. 

Beyonce has one of the worst cases of mushmouth I've ever heard so casting her to do voicework just baffles me.

• Love 8

I was eight when the animated movie was released and it was the first time I ever had a visceral reaction to a movie. I still have those same reactions just hearing the music. I had those same reactions seeing this teaser. I don’t even care if a CGI remake is necessary, I’m so ready for this movie. Jon Favreau did a great job with The Jungle Book so I have nothing but confidence in what he has done with The Lion King. 

• Love 9

I don't know who at Disney is in charge of the trailers for The Lion King but this guy/team killed when they released the animated trailer and they're killing it again.  I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy/team.  The first time around opening the trailer with the opening shot and verses of Circle of Life was perfect.  Now, knowing that almost all of us have not only seen the original, but completely love it, the choice to open with Mufasa and delay Circle of Life was perfect.  It can only work because they'd know that we'd be expecting the song, and the anticipation would make the payoff even better.  Genuis.

As far as the movie itself, I think that Favreau is a good sign that it will be more Jungle Book than Beauty and the Beast.  Jungle Book kept the basic story structure but made enough changes so that we wouldn't be sitting there knowing exactly what would happen next.  I'm sure The Lion King will be similar.  I wouldn't be surprised if we see more of Scar than in the original.  Maybe we'll get some Scar backstory or some juxtaposition of his tyranny while Simba's in exile.  Maybe we'll get more of Simba and Sarabi when he's a kitten*, which would be nice.

*I know lion babies are called cubs but that ball of cuteness in the trailer looks so much like my dearly departed Jesse that I can only refer to him as a kitten.

• Love 10

They've only mentioned five songs in relation to the soundtrack:  "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," "Hakuna Matata," "I Just Can't Wait to Be King," "Circle of Life" and a new one, with a collaboration between John, Rice, and Beyonce to go for the Oscar.

I had been hoping they'd bring in "They Live in You" and "Endless Night" from the Broadway version.  Dollars to donuts, those are better than most of the music from the actual movie.  And "Be Prepared," one of the all-time great villain songs.

Although Hans Zimmer is returning to do the actual score, and I find myself looking feverishly forward to "King of Pride Rock" in Dolby Atmos.

• Love 3

If this follows the Jungle Book model, then I guess there will be fewer songs. But really, that kind of defeats the point of this movie, doesn't it? As far as I can tell, it looks like this might be close to a shot-for-shot remake, with viewers knowing exactly what to expect, so they can wonder at how modern technology recreates their favourite moments. But without all the songs? Won't that just feel a bit hollow.

There's a reason that The Lion King has been a hit in the theatre as well, and it's not because of the story or the acting performances. It's the songs.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Bill1978 said:

Hold up. Is Be Prepared not included in this remake??

My thoughts exactly, although I would like to hear "They live in you" also, never seen the Broadway but it's on my list, have heard the song on Pandora though and it's beautiful.  Now I want a shot of scar.....

It looks like a nature documentary I was waiting for David Attenborough's narration. Lol

Don't know if we really needed another animated version this time with CGI. But I will being watching this one. 

• Love 2