Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E12: And Action!

Sigh. Another non-modeling challenge. I feel like we've only seen a couple of actual photoshoots and tons of social media type pics, dancing, and now acting. I don't think I'd mind as much if this was a totally different show, but come on - it's America's Next Top MODEL. And unless you're going to be in the top 1% of super famous models (not likely coming from this show), you're going to be doing runway shows and print modeling not singing/dancing/acting/social media star/BOSS (ugh).

• Love 12
On 2/20/2017 at 8:05 AM, Ladystardust said:

Sigh. Another non-modeling challenge. I feel like we've only seen a couple of actual photoshoots and tons of social media type pics, dancing, and now acting. I don't think I'd mind as much if this was a totally different show, but come on - it's America's Next Top MODEL. And unless you're going to be in the top 1% of super famous models (not likely coming from this show), you're going to be doing runway shows and print modeling not singing/dancing/acting/social media star/BOSS (ugh).

I feel like non-model challenges are kinda aimed at either keeping someone, or getting rid of someone who is actually good at modelling.

Not sure if this is going to be Courtney's big goodbye, because I don't see her being able to do this.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

I feel like non-model challenges are kinda aimed at either keeping someone, or getting rid of someone who is actually good at modelling.

Not sure if this is going to be Courtney's big goodbye, because I don't see her being able to do this.   

That's a good point. I don't think they want Courtney to win because she's not very well liked. But if they were choosing by who would get the most modeling work, Courtney would win hands down with that face. 

• Love 7

And I still have no idea who Coryanne's mother was. I was into the supermodels of the 90s and I have no recollection of her. 

Neither do I. And, apparently, does Coryanne. This whole popping her personality while exploiting childhood trauma thing leads me to believe she'll be top three.

• Love 4

Four pages of notes and I'm still watching the extras epi, which seems to be just an ad for Rita Ora. At any rate....was surprised Cody went home, though I've had a feeling Tatiana will stick around just because. I have no reason why. How much Photoshop went into Cody's picture last week? Didn't even look like her. India's hair, I just can't. It's getting awful. I hate the acting challenges on this show, because 9 out of 10 just can't. And I can't stand the fake weepy therapy shit with catchword emotion.............gag. But yay for a legit coach and guest star, best part of it! I'm not sure what Coryanne signed to be on this show, but I'd be pissed if I were her mom, airing all that stuff. Me, I've always been uncomfortable and embarrassed with that kind of stuff. I mean, really? And I don't know if it is a thing, but Coryanne needs to lay off the pink eyeshadow. Let's see..............once again, girls living together, why do they have to be such pigs? Courtney in the wig looked cool, very Audrey Hepburn. With the wig I FINALLY placed Cody, she looks like Shana from Jem and the Holograms! India looked like Miss Fisher. Cory needs a dye job along with India. And I'm not a Tatiana fan, but at least she was honest about not liking the acting. I never thought I would say I'd rather have Cody stay, but there you have it. And now I'm off to figure out who Drew channels, he reminds me of someone, just out my grasp.............

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

And now I'm off to figure out who Drew channels, he reminds me of someone, just out my grasp.............

I just had to quote myself, and that is flat out pathetic...........but I figured it out.  Took me MONTHS, but Sean Hayes, Just Jack!  Except blonde!  I feel better now, but with my luck someone posted this months ago and I missed it. 

• Love 5

I feel like, "When you look like a unicorn shit on your face, how can you come back super confident?" should be the name of this episode.

Second favorite moment of tonight was Law catching the vapors over the dreck that was Cody's shoes.  

I have no idea what the point of that video was supposed to be.  That easily surpassed the weirdest  of the weird Tyra shoots.

So I had no idea the acting coach was a real coach.  I remember her from Girl 6 (awful movie by the way) where she screams at Theresa Randle, "DROP INTO THE PAIN!!!" and I thought she was over the top in the film.  But that must really be her.  Interesting.

Why do I feel like Coryanne 's tears were a bad act?  But the judges fell for it.

I love the way Drew has no time for excuses.

• Love 5

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Is the angry, hard-faced, no neck twin drama over yet? Great. Seriously, no tea, no shade, they need to sit down with a good therapist. End of.

Well, not quite. They ridiculed the one twin for her choice in footwear. Poor thing! She's, like, hella broke & struggling right now! They're in Manhattan. Drop the whole group off at a good thrift store with 50 bucks apiece, then you can fairly criticize their clothing.

80_1.jpg.fd6483cd8f6445476975b6cb09b88dcd.jpg

I totally remember Coryanne's mom from the 90s. She was big! Not a known by her first name supermodel, but definitely a top model of her time. Stephanie Roberts. She walked in all the big shows & appeared in all the top magazines. I was sad to hear about her struggles, but it kind of explained a big question I had about Coryanne--- why she wasn't raised by her mother. I don't think Coryanne was being fake about it. If so, she waited rather late in the game to play her hand. In the 90s it was like, there could only be 1 Black top model & it was Naomi. Tyra Banks herself spoke about this. So, maybe SR didn't get the full recognition she deserved. Perhaps I remember her more than others because I'm a Black woman who was trying to get into modeling back in tha day.

2f80decd73ae607c99c25fdc6b19d5d3.jpg.574ed1217f42c782b0fa582da554d4d7.jpg

Kind of off topic, but Coryanne's mom was a contemporary of Yasmeen Ghauri. They were both, like, supermodel adjacent. Walked in all the top shows, booked all the best magazines. Now, maybe if you're not Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern descent, you might not remember YG at all. But, she was big! Again, if you're not from that time period, or that ethnic group, this might not resonate with you at all & that's totally ok. (There are better pictures of her face, but I had to pick one showing the waistline!  Did this bitch have ribs removed or what!?!) Ahhh! The 90s! That was a good era.....

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 5

I guess the fact that I don't know Stephanie Roberts but I do know Tyra Banks after all these years kind of illustrates the point of this cycle in that to become a supermodel nowadays, you have to have some sort of cult of personality (or "brand" as this cycle likes to call it).

Sooooo happy for India, especially because of her wig situation. Also the judges didn't really like any of the videos so maybe the whole concept needed work.

I wonder if the VH1 contract is for something scripted? Is that why they did the acting challenge? I love any kind of acting challenges on my reality shows lol

• Love 3
6 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

Kind of off topic, but Coryanne's mom was a contemporary of Yasmeen Ghauri. They were both, like, supermodel adjacent. Walked in all the top shows, booked all the best magazines. Now, maybe if you're not Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern descent, you might not remember YG at all. But, she was big!

Yasmeen I remember, and I'm so white I'm clear (blame it on Irish/Eastern European genes).  I just cannot place Stephanie Roberts, and a few episodes into the season it came up on here and I looked her up.  Still nothing.  The only Stephanie I remember clearly was Seymour.  Frankly, I think Coryanne got the best of both parents, because I don't think she looks a lot like either one.  I think maybe her mom posed for magazines or whatever that I didn't pay attention to, I was in college then and a lot fell by the wayside.  At any rate, good on them both for being successful, and I hope they work out their issues.  Maybe they can go to therapy with the twins, because you are not wrong about that, either.

• Love 3
Spoiler

I didn't know Stephanie Roberts by name but I finally googled her and it was like "bam!" I remember her! She was every where back in the day!

I know Coryanne is kinda bratty but I still think she is gorgeous and could be a good model if someone really took the time to work with her and get her to learn her angles. Her and Courtenay are my top two.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, Lesia said:

Yasmin married Simon LeBon,  of Duran Duran, 80's British pop group.  Still married.  Loved her.  She was a hair below Cindi and Linda and Naomi and Claudia.

A different person than Yasmeen, but I loved Yasmin, too. She's still gorgeous to this day.

• Love 1

I thought Tatiana's video was decent.  Not as good as India's or Courtney's but definitely better than Coryanne's.  And I thought the makeup looked stunning on her.  That beauty shot at the end of the video was really lovely.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I'm not surprised some of these chicks don't know how to show emotion or tap into their emotions.  They're too self-absorbed and vapid.  Once again they shit all over Courtney because she dared to open her mouth and speak within the presence of their royal highnesses.  The only emotion some of them know is 'bitch'.

Bye Bitch Twin #2.  You sucked only slightly less than your sister.  I hope Tatianna and My Mom is a Supermodel You Know join you next week.

India for the win!

• Love 10

1. I had to stop watching Scandal because of Kerry Washington's terrible overacting.  I held on as long as I could, but I think it was Season 4, Episode 1, where she tried to do that thing where she grasps her wine glass like its a life raft, and then she tried to laugh and then it turned into a maniacal laugh, and then into shaky tears.  I couldn't do it anymore.  I just couldn't do it.  And I had planned a whole Netflix weekend around it.  

2. So the fact that her acting coach also worked with Naomi Campbell now makes perfect sense.  This poor woman can really teach beautiful women to annoyingly overact.  And here she is to teach our models the same thing.  Oh, and to try to bamboozle Courtney with some "free acting consultation."  Girl, GTFOH with all that.  And why didn't anyone give that poor woman a better wig?  She look like she literally slept in her car with that thing.

3. Rita can miss me with her acting critiques.  Bitch, let me see you cry on command since you're such a boss.  In fact, what extensive acting experience do you even have?  "It was stagey," "That was badddd"  You can also follow the acting lady and GTFOH with all that.

4. Love Adrienne Moore though, I think she should have just been the acting coach, because she made so many good points.  I LOVE Black Cindy on OITNB.

5. Since Rita is such a "boss" with all this acting experience to judge others, maybe she could have done the scene with them?  Oh wait, didn't want to do the scene because you're talking out your ass Rita?  I get it.

6.  LOL, what a perfect end to the manufactured twin drama

7. I also think they had no idea that Courtney was actually going to be good at the acting challenge

8. Um, I get the joke, but I wouldn't take someone's dirty ass shoes...even as a joke.

14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

And I still have no idea who Coryanne's mother was. I was into the supermodels of the 90s and I have no recollection of her. 

OMG, this!  I'm like "girl, maybe your mom was really good at modelling, so she was a super....model, but I don't think she was a 90s supermodel, because I know all their names."

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Canada said:

I'm not surprised some of these chicks don't know how to show emotion or tap into their emotions.  They're too self-absorbed and vapid.  Once again they shit all over Courtney because she dared to open her mouth and speak within the presence of their royal highnesses.  The only emotion some of them know is 'bitch'.

Bye Bitch Twin #2.  You sucked only slightly less than your sister.  I hope Tatianna and My Mom is a Supermodel You Know join you next week.

India for the win!

Yes, I get being jealous, but their anger smacked of "yes, you won, but what about me?"

I must be crazy, but I actually liked the way Cody smeared her makeup. If she hadn't been making some of those crazy, faux-fierce faces, I think she could have won this one. The entire episode was worth it for me to see Drew screaming about the wig reveals!
I sincerely hope these girls are getting some better advice than we are seeing at panel: find your light, learn your angles, look model-crazy - those are stunningly unhelpful comments unless someone backs them up with HOW to do these things. Ashley had the great suggestion to study the poses in magazines and recreate those in a mirror, but I would love to see actual tutorials that teach the girls how to do this.
While the acting challenges are difficult and not designed for everyone, it seems they are helpful in order to get the girls to be able to tap into emotions that then could (in theory) flit across their faces during photography sessions. One can only hope.

• Love 2

Does anyone else remember Naomi Campbell attempting to emote on "The Face"?  She would try for a hot minute and then, nope, she slid right back into bitch.  I miss that show. 

And I still say the tagline for this season should be "Boss, Brand, Bitch(ery)".

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

Does anyone else remember Naomi Campbell attempting to emote on "The Face"?  She would try for a hot minute and then, nope, she slid right back into bitch.  I miss that show. 

And I still say the tagline for this season should be "Boss, Brand, Bitch(ery)".

They should just rename this show "America's Next Top Boss"  or "Top Boss" if they want to avoid an intellectual property claim.

I always miss Naomi Campbell on my screen.  I don't think a more naturally entertaining human exists.  

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I thought Ashley's flat hair looked awful in judging panel. It made her look dumpy, which I've never thought before.

Ashley Graham is dumpy; she just tries really hard to hide it by doing certain poses.  I've never understood this idea that women should look up to her for her body.  She's obese.  That's not something any person should aspire to.

ashley.jpg

ashley1.jpg

• Love 3

Oh, I think Ashley Graham is gorgeous and curvy.  I'm glad that someone with more curves is being celebrated in the world of fashion.  She has a relatively small waist, so I don't think she is obese per se.  As for the cellulite....I think a lot of women deal with that, even if they are skinny.

• Love 11

I think it is a proportion thing.  I see some models who have good proportion, and those who look like something is off, smaller bust, thicker waist or the like.  I feel their pain.  In no way could I ever be considered a model, but I've dealt with finding decent pants my whole life.  I have almost no torso area, and very long legs.  So to find pants that don't either high waist me (hate) or hit lower enough to press on my scar tissue (also hate ) is a real PITA.  I'm short, but not petite.  If it fits my waist it bags on my legs.  As a result, I wear sweats or looser pants most the time.  I think Ashley is pretty.  Now, if we were talking Tess Holliday, that's another story entirely.  I'm just sick of seeing Ashley every day in the DM, Instagraming away.  Maybe I'm out of touch, but I find this constant social media a bit much.

• Love 1

Okay, that little "acting" dialogue sounded simply awful. "I'm not gonna eat til I'm famous!" "what's most important to you?" "t-t-t-truth" *boo hoo fake uncalled for cry* SO bad that I have a horrible sneaking suspicion that it was taken straight from the pages of Tyra's diary, or Fever Dreams 2: Electric Tookie-loo. That insanity-laced challenge of squirt-whipped-cream-on-your-face-but-don't-make-it-look-sexy fame was the ultimate fuckery that had me done with this show until giving it another try this season. (Excuse me, cycle.)

That said, I miss the rare moments when Tyra would actually provide helpful critiques and samples, especially when she played photographer. None of this "that was gooood" bullshit from Rita who-is-is-she-again? Ora after watching Corey Shatner the crap outta those lines.

• Love 9

Biggest takeaway from this episode. Holy shit, Kerry Washington actually had to learn to act as badly as she does? YIKES! Though, it makes sense that our poor models would learn nothing from the woman who taught her.

That video challenge was...stupid. WTF was that? But I'm glad my girl India won. She really is a chameleon because she looked stunning in that wig. She has a face that can take any amount of makeup and any hair color and style. That is a great benefit for a model.

Bye other twin. At least you outlasted your sister...twice!

At least Coreyanne's sad story explains why she hasn't used her supermodel mothers connections. She probably doesn't have any anymore and they weren't exactly close. I hope things are better for them now. Coreyanne seems like a very sweet girl, and she is stunning. I think she can have a modest career in modelling if she is willing to put in the work.

I really want Tatianna out next. I just don't get what they see in her.

• Love 5

When Cody walked off, I was thinking - is this the end of Courtney's "Karma" storyline?  Way back in the beginning, she said she'd outlast both of them and now that she has, is her story over?   I do like her though, as a model.  I'd be happy with a Courtney/India final with India winning.

• Love 6

Can I just say that I love you guys?  My people!   I thought I was all alone in my Kerry Washington hate.  I"m the only one of my girlfriends who can't get down with Scandal because I've always HATED the way she over enunciates everything.  Now we know we can thank Susan Batson for that mess.  

Cody was really feeling herself after getting best pic last week. So her fall from grace was especially funny - - you know she didn't see that coming.

I want go-sees and Cover Girl commercials where they stumble over the script, damnit! 

• Love 9

My daughter loves Scandal and when she was here in winter 2015 wanted me to binge watch it with her.  I tried.  I failed.  Full stop.

Go sees!  Hell, yeah!  We're down to very few, you would think if the show was even on nodding terms with legit we'd have go sees.  Hmmmmmm.

• Love 2

India and Courtney both looked stunning with dark hair.

Go away, Tatiana and CoryAnne. Seriously. I have yet to see any photo/video/angle of Coryanne where she looks like anything special. I just don't see the appeal. Tatiana as least looks more like a model, but unfortunately, that personality (or lack thereof). Her acting was awful.

• Love 10

Coryanne is beautiful with a great look but she needs to figure out how to put life in her eyes.  If you Google Image Sasha Pivovarova, to me she is the best at this.  

India made a great point when she said that last week Cody had no energy in her picture.  When you see how somebody like Sasha models, it's like she's acting an extreme emotion in every single picture.  Coryanne is the opposite of that.  But I get why the judges are bowled over by her.  I think she'd be good on the runway because your expression really doesn't matter as much.

To me Coryanne looks like a model, especially a 90's model, what was popular in the 90s (i.e. her mother, or Chrystele Saint Louis, Nicole Ari Parker, etc.).  Tatiana looks like a TV personality.  Tatiana bears a striking resemblance to singer Ashanti.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I loved India's video, especially that last shot. She should consider that hair color after the show, it's much better than her current look for sure.

Coryanne looks better on film than on pictures. It's weird. On the show, its obvious that she's a beautiful girl with great bone structure but in photos, her face is flat and lifeless. I think she's just not very photogenic. She can stick to runway.

Tatiana is not a model and her face is not flattering at most angles. Out of the four left, only India and Courtney seem to be viable models.

I love Law. Even when I disagree with what he is saying, I like that he is always very frank and original with his opinions and doesn't say affected things (like Ashley does).

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Tatiana bears a striking resemblance to singer Ashanti.

That's who she reminds me of! I've been trying to place it this whole time. She's my last pick of the girls left. She's just bland to me.

Coreyanne and Courtney both have amazing faces. Coreyanne needs to learn how to use hers. Courtney needs to learn the more social interaction side of things. I think she knows how to model but a big part of getting work is connections and I am not sure she's got the personality to make connections in the industry. I do think they will both get work out of this.

I think India is the best pick for winner. She's got a positive attitude and the kind of personality young women would and should aspire to. She's the kind of girl you see in an ad and you want to hang out with her. She's just appealing. She has the kind of face that is rather indistinct. It's not a fierce Courtney face but it is the kind of face that changes easily with hair and makeup into whatever the client is going to need. And she's just so darned likable. She'd bee a good role model.

I will give this season credit for one thing. I do think they ended up with the four top girls. Personally I would have exchanged Tatiana with Paige but Paige was more of a sports model type so I understand. I just don't get the Tatiana love but it's not like they let some great model go in her place.

• Love 8

I'm pretty sure Tatiana is hanging around simply because she fits their "boss" line since she has her skin butter thing.  That's the only reason her sticking around this long makes any kind of sense.

If they'd have been going by body of work up until now (which the judges said at one point but it's not like anyone who's watched these shows long enough takes seriously), they'd have kept Cody and kicked Tati.

Right now, this is India's to lose.  What a ho-hum cycle this has been.

I know this show is coming back for C24 with the same panel but they need to make some changes though I doubt that will happen.

Edited by milkyaqua
On 2/23/2017 at 2:41 PM, Canada said:

Ashley Graham is dumpy; she just tries really hard to hide it by doing certain poses.  I've never understood this idea that women should look up to her for her body.  She's obese.  That's not something any person should aspire to.

Thank you! I completely agree. There's being curvy and plus-sized, and then there's obese, which I think she is...

• Love 2
5 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I know this show is coming back for C24 with the same panel but they need to make some changes though I doubt that will happen.

Are they?  Hot damn!  I thought for sure this show was all done by the way VH1 treats it...................

On 2/23/2017 at 1:42 AM, NowVoyager said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

Is the angry, hard-faced, no neck twin drama over yet? Great. Seriously, no tea, no shade, they need to sit down with a good therapist. End of.

Well, not quite. They ridiculed the one twin for her choice in footwear. Poor thing! She's, like, hella broke & struggling right now! They're in Manhattan. Drop the whole group off at a good thrift store with 50 bucks apiece, then you can fairly criticize their clothing.

80_1.jpg.fd6483cd8f6445476975b6cb09b88dcd.jpg

I totally remember Coryanne's mom from the 90s. She was big! Not a known by her first name supermodel, but definitely a top model of her time. Stephanie Roberts. She walked in all the big shows & appeared in all the top magazines. I was sad to hear about her struggles, but it kind of explained a big question I had about Coryanne--- why she wasn't raised by her mother. I don't think Coryanne was being fake about it. If so, she waited rather late in the game to play her hand. In the 90s it was like, there could only be 1 Black top model & it was Naomi. Tyra Banks herself spoke about this. So, maybe SR didn't get the full recognition she deserved. Perhaps I remember her more than others because I'm a Black woman who was trying to get into modeling back in tha day.

2f80decd73ae607c99c25fdc6b19d5d3.jpg.574ed1217f42c782b0fa582da554d4d7.jpg

Kind of off topic, but Coryanne's mom was a contemporary of Yasmeen Ghauri. They were both, like, supermodel adjacent. Walked in all the top shows, booked all the best magazines. Now, maybe if you're not Indian/Pakistani/Middle Eastern descent, you might not remember YG at all. But, she was big! Again, if you're not from that time period, or that ethnic group, this might not resonate with you at all & that's totally ok. (There are better pictures of her face, but I had to pick one showing the waistline!  Did this bitch have ribs removed or what!?!) Ahhh! The 90s! That was a good era.....

I recognize her face, but didn't know her name.  She's like Cynthia Bailey, from Real Housewives of Atlanta, because I used to see her all of the time too, but I didn't know her name.  I did know other black models besides Naomi by name like Beverly Peele, Roshumba, Tyra, Torrey Terrell(she and Tyra kind of looked alike only I thought that Torrey was prettier) and of course Iman and Beverly Johnson.  I'm not sure why her name wasn't out there like the others.

• Love 1

FWIW, I'm a 50 year old white woman who has never been remotely fashionable and I remember Coreyanne's mom. I had forgotten about her until the show mentioned her, but as soon as they did, I remembered her as one of those models that seemed to be everywhere for a while. 

• Love 2

Models used to be all over the place in the 80s and 90s, but now you see actresses taking their place.  I remember when the show She's Got The Look was on.  In case people don't remember it, it was a modeling reality show for women 35 and over.  Kim Alexis was the host the 1st season and people were saying how they didn't know who she was.  I remember seeing her everywhere when I was a kid.  Like I said, I'm not sure why Coryann's mom didn't get name recognition like some of the other models back then, but I remember seeing her.  Before this show, I had never heard of Janice Dickenson, but I knew who Twiggy and Paulina were.

• Love 5

Law's reaction to Cody's shoes was hilarious! They truly were hideous. Speaking of Cody, I think that it was her time to go. I guess she can be proud of the fact that she outlasted her sister since she was so preoccupied with people viewing her as better than Tash. Despite the fact that they say they love each other, it's obvious they need to talk some things out.

I love India so I hope she wins. I think it'll be her and Courtney in the top two, hopefully. Courtney really grew on me last week with the whole Harry Potter fan-out at Universal Studios. That was me when I went there lol.

I don't really get the judges' love for Coryanne. I personally think she's been photographing a bit old lately, but that may be due to the hair and makeup. In regards to Tatiana, I think she's beautiful, but I haven't seen any growth. 

• Love 2

Coryanne sometimes reminds me of Laura from cycle 19.  Laura was my favorite to win, but I do think that who her parents were helped her.  I sometimes wonder if that is why they keep Coryanne around because of who her mother is.