Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Puka ʻana (Exodus)

• Start Topic

I feel like this sounds a lot different than the episode description...

Per TVLine:

MacGyver/Hawaii Five-0 Boss Reveals Crossover's First Planted Seed, Mulls 4-Night Event Folding In NCIS Universe

Spoiler

By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 8 2017, 11:33 AM PST

From almost the very first time TV’s new MacGyver whipped out his Swiss Army knife, a plan was afoot to eventually cross over the freshman CBS drama with its lead-out, Hawaii Five-0 — as will happen this Friday at 8/7c.

“There is a detail in the [MacGyver] pilot that, if you look closely — I cut out the part that actually was a little more obvious — on Jack’s gun in the flashback to Iraq, it said, ‘Aloha’ on the barrel,” Peter M. Lenkov, who serves as showrunner on both series, tells TVLine. “That was because Jack (played by George Eads) had actually met McGarrett while in the service, and that was a nod towards that friendship.”

MacGyver viewers never got a good look at Jack’s rifle barrel, but the ‘Aloha’ nod to Five-0‘s McGarrett was there.

Another nod came during MacGyver‘s Zodiac Killer-themed episode (in which Jack refers to a having an old buddy in Hawaii), while Five-0‘s Chin Ho recently name-checked the Phoenix Foundation, for which Mac, Jack et al execute covert ops.

“We’ve been playing around with the fact that the universes are the same,” Lenkov notes. “Because the [shows’] ingredients were similar, I always knew that they would somehow have some kind of fusion at some point.”

Setting the stage for Friday’s “fusion,” Lucas Till’s MacGyver and his team are on the way back from a mission, flying over the Pacific, when they get wind of and decide to help with an earthquake relief effort in Hawaii. There, they work with Five-0‘s Chin and Kono (Daniel Dae Kim and Grace Park) to rescue a group of trapped government scientists — all while some nefarious types plot to steal the top-secret weaponry from the compromised lab.

As the two pairs get to collaborating, Chin and Kono “are a little skeptical of MacGyver, with the nontraditional ways he’s going about the rescue effort. But I think he wins them over after a while,” Lenkov previews. “That even carries over to [Friday’s] Hawaii Five-0, where they talk about meeting this guy MacGyver who was pretty impressive.”

With Five-0 scheduling issues informing who would and would not get to participate in this first crossover, Lenkov expects that there will be more chances to actually reunite Jack and Alex O’Loughlin’s Steve McGarrett, and maybe get insight into their introduction. “Oh yeah, for sure. The plan is hopefully this is one of a few that we’ll do,” he says.

But when presented with the prospect of one day mining the full, shared CBS drama universe — Hawaii Five-0, after all, crossed over with NCIS: Los Angeles in May 2012, and NCIS‘ Hetty once appeared on Scorpion — Lenkov at first lets out a laugh. MacGyver to Five-0 to NCIS: LA to Scorpion to NCIS to NCIS: New Orleans! And then starts his wheels turning….

After all, during his time as a CSI: NY executive producer, he reminds, “We did a three-way crossover between all of the CSIs, and that was one of my favorite experiences, to see these iconic characters working together. So yeah, that would be supercool.”

I don't care about the rest of them but I'd really like to see another crossover between NCIS:LA and Hawaii Five-0. I think Kono and Kensi would get along great. And I want to see the fomer SEALS Sam and Steve interact. It's been established that they know each other.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I don't care about the rest of them but I'd really like to see another crossover between NCIS:LA and Hawaii Five-0. I think Kono and Kensi would get along great. And I want to see the fomer SEALS Sam and Steve interact. It's been established that they know each other.

Agreed. And I loved the Danny/Deeks and Danny/Hetty moments, too. That crossover was a lot of fun. It'd be nice to see Steve as part of that dynamic, too (even though it was awesome to see Chin in a larger role).

• Love 1

I loved Kono punching the swim coach in the stomach, but it would have been a better effect if I hadn't already seen it in the previews.  I also feel a little cheated that there was no scene where the guy's wife came home and he had to explain why 5-O was there.  

I didn't catch the name of all of the cookies, but I'm guessing that I would probably love the 'Hawaiian Shortbread'.  (I love any kind of shortbread.)

• Love 1

Kono's answer: "He had a knife." Damn straight. I don't think an excessive force claim is going to fly there. Like his accomplice, I don't think that SOB is lasting too long in prison either.  What a sicko. 

Felt bad for that guy at the stoplight.  She was just enraged and should pay the damages for that. 

I think most people have had that daughter come in to work selling Girl Scout cookies giving that spiel about her troop. In my case, it was the boss's daughter so it was 3 boxes of Thin Mints for me. 

• Love 1

Wow, excellent Kono episode. The only part I didn't buy was where she told the guy to pick up the knife and then proceeded to kick the shit out of him. My opinion is that if a cop, especially a 5-0 cop is telling you to pick up a knife it is so they can shoot you in the forehead with minimal worries about justification and/or paperwork. Kono has done it plenty of times before (she is the team's sniper after all) but in this case she needed to personally kick some ass. I get that but since she's all of 100lbs if wet and wearing boots, I can't say I'd fear her fists of fury more than her bullets.

• Love 2

Personally I loved that she kicked the shnit out of him with her bare hands instead of shooting him.  I just wish she would have done more damage to him.  I also think it would be nice to see some follow up in the future with Kono maybe doing some volunteer work at that haven.  Danny would have been good in this one having a daughter of his own and how he tends to react with that sort of thing.  JMO

Edited by tabbybear
corrected spelling
  • Love 1

I didn't like it - this had Very Special Episode written all over it.  First of all, why did the pimp even take the girl to the ER?  That alone defies belief.  Then the doctor leaving them alone after she suspects child abuse? No way.  And she walked past two cops while following them out of the ER, yet didn't say a word.  

Kono is my second least favorite character, after Danny, probably because of the Adam storyline. And I hate when cop shows write "girl cop" episodes.  All of the four male cops have either daughters or nieces, but the girl must be involved so we can see her relate to the victims. Because this time it's personal.  (Was I the only one waiting for Kono to say she had been raped/molested as a kid?).

And the parents, who seemed very caring and concerned, let Kono, whom they barely knew, drop their daughter off at the safe haven?  Why?  Wouldn't they want to go there, meet the counselors, make sure their daughter is in a safe place after she had been missing for months?  I would think that parents/families of sex trafficking victims would need a lot of counseling as well, perhaps offered at the same place.

And of course, Kono had to be the one to track down the fleeing perp.  So she could extract revenge.  Now, if Steve had beaten the hell out of the female pimp, can you imagine the outcry?  Especially if Kono had stood by and watched, making no attempt to intervene.

• Love 5

It took me a while to figure out who the "girl scout" (or whatever they were calling it) was. I kept wondering "who is this random little girl going around with the shrimp truck guy (who I'm sure has a name, I just can never remember it). Then it suddenly hit me "Sara!". I probably would have gotten it sooner had she been with someone who I would associate with her (Uncle Chin, Cousin Kono, Abby). Was there a reason her uncle wasn't taking her around, other than the fact we apparently must have shrimp truck guy in every episode? At least Danny got a mention (off in NJ again).

• Love 1

Kono was great this episode. I loved her taking the guy on at the end and telling him to grab the knife. 

I thought at first the MacGyver people would be on this episode, when they promoted a crossover I thought it would be both sides on each others shows. 

• Love 1

Props to Kono and 5-0 for saving all those girls and kicking ass on the pimps, but there were about half a dozen girls saved.  Why did Kono only seem to care about the one girl (who she had never met before).  She met with the parents, and then delivered her to that shelter, but where did the other girls go for rehabilitation?

That high school swim coach was a piece of work.  I want to see the episode where 5-0 is called out to that address to investigate the strange case of a man whose testicles were hanging from a tree in his backyard.

• Love 3

I felt bad for Kelsey (or rather the actress playing her). She did all the heavy lifting during the interrogation scene with Kono, yet all the big bonding and hugging at the end happened with Moani and it was 'Kelsey, who?'

I did not mind the focus being on Kono. She was the one talking to the first victim because logic dictates that a female officer should interrogate victims of sexual abuse. And so her getting emotionally involved made a lot of sense. Had it been Danny or Chin people would ask why not Kono the only woman on the team.

• Love 7

So it's ok to break some guy's window and throw away his keys because he honked at you for blocking the road? And how does the guy not take a picture of her and her plate and go right to the police? 

I know the show plays it fast and loose, but that took me right out of it. That's preposterous. 

The whole bit about the cone of silence was hilarious. Grover does the best ffs!

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

I thought at first the MacGyver people would be on this episode, when they promoted a crossover I thought it would be both sides on each others shows. 

I thought that too.  But wasn't a big deal that they weren't on because I don't watch MacGyver and skipped the H50 people on that show. 

I like watching Grace Park kick ass, but that fight was ridiculous. "Pick it up." Uh, no? She's not any better or worse than any of the rest of them so it's not like it's OOC. 

• Love 2

I agree that the window breaking scene was over the top, but I think the show made the right choice in making Kono the one who took the bad guys down (literally and figuratively).  Even today, little girls are too often trained to be passive, to wait for a man to take charge.  Tampa Bay quarterback Jameis Winston recently told a group of elementary school students that "the ladies, they’re supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men (are) supposed to be strong."  Women need to see that they not only should, but can, stand up for themselves.  Kono took no prisoners--she showed the strength women can exhibit.

Edited by TVFAN
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

(Was I the only one waiting for Kono to say she had been raped/molested as a kid?).

Not at all!  In fact, when Kono was explaining to (Steve? Chin? I don't remember) that 15 is a vulnerable age for girls, she looked so upset that I was sure she was thinking of something that had happened to her in adolescence.  And the way she just sat in her car in a trance, both at the red light (nobody honks at Kono!!) and at HQ, she seemed more than upset on behalf of the girls ~ she seemed traumatized, herself.  I wonder whether there *is* a backstory that will come out in a future episode.

• Love 3

Kono's overly emotional reaction is what bothered me the most.  I am by no means downplaying the horrific nature of sex trafficking, but Kono is a cop who has seen plenty of horrific crimes, including other cases of trafficking.  They would never have shown a male cop getting that emotional, unless it was personal, i.e. Danny and Lou when their kids were endangered.

Hell it was just 2 weeks ago that Kono was sitting down to break bread with a human trafficker!  And now she is so emotionally distraught over the same issue?  It just seemed like the writers were trying too hard to pull at my heartstrings.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, illdoc said:

we apparently must have shrimp truck guy in every episode?

Seems like it, doesn't it?

Far too much of a Very Special Episode (so people will cheer beatings and threats of prison rape) for me. 

• Love 2

Kono's reaction was over the top during the traffic lights scene - so much so that I first thought Kelsey had identified Adam as one of her 'clients'. I appreciate that the show was trying to go for something different (no spies, no nuclear devices, no terrorists, no serial killer, no biochemical threat) but it was a shaky ride. The show works best when it tries to keep things light and doesn't take itself too seriously. The subject matter of that episode made that near impossible and so we ended with some jarring scenes. Still better than Danny trying for a whole episode to get his sunglasses back from an obnoxious kid.

• Love 3

I never realized Grace Park was so tall until I saw her talking to the ER Nurse and the new medical examiner. She towered over both of them and I had to freeze-frame the shot just to make sure it wasn't some weird camera-aspect thing.

Also, have they ever said on the show how old Kono is supposed to be? When she was talking to Steve about starting a family with Adam, I was thinking, "uh, you're 45," (Park is 42, so I wasn't far off), but if Kono was still at the Police Academy in the first episode seven years ago, this could make her as young as in her late 20s now. She looks young enough to play late 20s, but I can't remember if they ever pinned it down. @BW Manilowe? If they ever said, you'd know.

17 hours ago, LizDC said:
18 hours ago, Artsda said:

I thought that too.  But wasn't a big deal that they weren't on because I don't watch MacGyver and skipped the H50 people on that show. 

I don't watch MacGyver either, but I watched this one because a crossover is usually part one on one show and part two on the other so I thought I had to in order for 5-0 to make sense. But nah. It was okay, but I would hope they don't, in regular episodes, have people say every fifteen minutes, "you can't do X with Y," followed by MacGyver fixing a generator with a defibrillator or curing cancer with a staple gun or whatever because that gets old fast. I doubt I'll watch the show again.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 1

Yeah, Kono's overly emotional reaction fell flat for me. I've said before that I obviously am in a demographic not represented in whatever test panels they use for storylines, because these shows are full of agents "going rogue" because THIS time it's personal, and I really don't care for that approach, I feel like it makes the character look lunatic, not dedicated. But *at least* in those situations, there's motivation. Chin going borderline manic in Mexico over Sara's adoptive parents made me roll my eyes, but I can at least understand WHY he was like that. The show never gave us any reason to understand *why* Kono was taking it so personally. I'm sure it sucks to have to see all the terrible things in society the way cops do, but it's not a surprise that they go through that and I don't think it's unfair to say that it unfortunately is part of the job and thus they need to cope with it, and punching some guy's window out doesn't really strike me as an effective (or legal) method of doing so.

The guy taking the girl to urgent care at the beginning was all kinds of ridiculous. Sure, makes sense for a dad who's abused his daughter to take her to the ER and coach her on the proper answers, but I have a hard time seeing a sex trafficker doing so. And obviously the nurse leaving them alone, stupid. I was likewise surprised that the nurse didn't say "I did" when Kono asked if one can recover from that. That really would have been a good moment.

And Kono in hand to hand combat with that guy at the end. Um, he dropped the knife and put his hands up, she puts him in custody DUH. And if you want Kono to beat the shit out of him, may I kindly remind you that YOU ARE THE WRITERS and can have him NOT drop the knife and put his hands up, but instead choose some other action (like, hypothetically speaking, attacking Kono with a knife) for the guy that makes it make sense for Kono to then beat the shit out of him (I just typed shirt instead of shit, I clearly have watched The Good Place too much). Sheesh.

I like this show but my eye rolling quotient is at an all-time peak.

• Love 5

I think TPTB felt compelled to create a crossover double episode because some "genius" in the marketing department was fixated on creating a commercial with "MACguyver-MACgarret!--MACguyver-MACgarret!" repeating ad nauseum.

All that malarkey and the two of them did not even "cross over" to each other's show.  Not ONE scene between them.

9 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I never realized Grace Park was so tall until I saw her talking to the ER Nurse and the new medical examiner. She towered over both of them and I had to freeze-frame the shot just to make sure it wasn't some weird camera-aspect thing.

Also, have they ever said on the show how old Kono is supposed to be? When she was talking to Steve about starting a family with Adam, I was thinking, "uh, you're 45," (Park is 42, so I wasn't far off), but if Kono was still at the Police Academy in the first episode seven years ago, this could make her as young as in her late 20s now. She looks young enough to play late 20s, but I can't remember if they ever pinned it down. @BW Manilowe? If they ever said, you'd know.

All I remember was that Kono pro surfer with a blown out knee going into the family business, law enforcement. Her age at the time has always been questioned. Going back to a discussion about honorifics in an earlier episode I saw on a repeat she referred to Kamekona as "uncle" and not "brother" to put her further back on a generational shift from the mid 30s Navy Lieutenant Commander, who I can't recall ever treating Kamekona as an elder and his police detective partner along with her 40 something disgraced police Sergeant cousin. 

As for tall, she did a magazine spread with 6, Trica Helfer who is just under 6 feet tall when Battlestar Galatica started

• Love 1
Spoiler
Spoiler

Had to google.  I wouldn't have guessed she was that tall either.  (If you google, you will find their Maxim photo shoot. Yowza!)

IMG_1731.PNG

Edited by Tdoc72
Tried to remove spoiler tags but can't. (Shrugs)
On 3/10/2017 at 7:34 PM, BooksRule said:

I loved Kono punching the swim coach in the stomach, but it would have been a better effect if I hadn't already seen it in the previews.  I also feel a little cheated that there was no scene where the guy's wife came home and he had to explain why 5-O was there. 

I felt a little cheated that they walked off and left him behind.

On 3/11/2017 at 11:58 AM, MissLucas said:

I felt bad for Kelsey (or rather the actress playing her). She did all the heavy lifting during the interrogation scene with Kono, yet all the big bonding and hugging at the end happened with Moani and it was 'Kelsey, who?'

I did not mind the focus being on Kono. She was the one talking to the first victim because logic dictates that a female officer should interrogate victims of sexual abuse. And so her getting emotionally involved made a lot of sense. Had it been Danny or Chin people would ask why not Kono the only woman on the team.

This. As for only Kono being emotional, I beg to differ. I distinctly noticed Steve looking shaken, and his eyes glistened with tears. I think it was after the raid where they rescued Kelsey. I remember because I thought "Huh, Alex is acting with more subtlety than usual."

I didn't particularly like, or approve, of Kono's 5-0 tactics, but as a woman and mother of women, I did have some visceral pleasure in it. Conflicting emotions, I guess.

• Love 1
On 3/12/2017 at 7:33 PM, Raja said:

As for tall, she did a magazine spread with 6, Trica Helfer who is just under 6 feet tall when Battlestar Galatica started

a67d9c83b9e4c8645682b9e0e1312586.jpg

Edited by mahree
Jinx! We even chose the same photo....
On 3/13/2017 at 7:47 AM, Clanstarling said:

I felt a little cheated that they walked off and left him behind.

I was thinking... "So long officers who have told me that I will be arrested one day, off to Columbia I go!"

On 3/11/2017 at 0:58 PM, MissLucas said:

She definitely gave a Viola Davis worthy snot-cry performance there. She did a lot of good work. And we never found out what happened with her Dad, who wasn't there for the police questioning.

• Love 2

Kono wasn't the only one being emotional, she was the only one being overly emotional.  Steve looked upset and disgusted, but he didn't zone out like Kono did.  It just felt, to me, unnatural.  Like the writers were trying too hard. 

• Love 3

It was the whole punching the window thing that was ridiculous. Five-0 beats up on lowlifes and bad guys all the time. This was some dude honking his horn, and they had him roll up his window to avoid further conflict when she got out of the car. 

• Love 1

The guy honking his horn missed the part in driver's ed where they tell you to always be able to see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you, in case their car breaks down and you have to pull around them. She's lucky it wasn't one of the thousands of career criminals that seem to populate the show, it wouldn't have gone so well for her.

• Love 2

I didn't particularly care for this episode either.  The only good thing about it was the absence of Scott Cann and a minimisation of Jerry Garcia.  I don't care for the "social message" episodes.  Between this one and the Nation of Hawaii episode, it seems like Lenkov is going all out this season.  I'm cringing at the inevitable "bombastic business tycoon runs for Governor of Hawaii" episode.

I did like the appearance of Eric   I find him funny.

Speaking of the Governor, where is Rosalind Chao?  Has she only appeared in the season premiere and that's it?  Disappointing.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I actually think it would be interesting if there was a new governor who promised tighter civilian control over Five-0. 

Yeah, like that's ever going to happen. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I actually think it would be interesting if there was a new governor who promised tighter civilian control over Five-0. 

The second governor did that and forced a Homeland Security Agent onto the task force only to have her fall in love with Steve.  Then I  guess he gave up.

• Love 1

For those of you who didn't watch the MacGyver crossover show, there was a brief conversation with Chin and Sam when they were introducing themselves. Chin recognized Sam as the person who gave them some information on Dr. Madison Grey (serial killer). Sam asked how is she, and Chin simply replied "she's dead". So, I guess we won't see anything further on the showdown in the kitchen with Alicia unless it is via flashback.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:42 PM, Mittengirl said:

Kono's overly emotional reaction is what bothered me the most.  I am by no means downplaying the horrific nature of sex trafficking, but Kono is a cop who has seen plenty of horrific crimes, including other cases of trafficking.  They would never have shown a male cop getting that emotional, unless it was personal, i.e. Danny and Lou when their kids were endangered.

I don't agree.  I distinctly remember the episode with Steve and that young guy that he thought he was helping at the barber shop - who turned out to be a pedophile, and Steve was in the basement of that kid's home looking at the pictures of children the guy abused, and Steve just broke down.  I also remember Danny beating the crap out of a guy who had kidnapped a girl and kept her chained up.   I had no problem with Kono getting emotional, and what tipped it for her was the young girl's plea of "Please don't tell my father what happened to me."  Even after all she had been through, she wanted to protect her father from knowing the truth, and that affected Kono.  Throw in how the girls were sold to buyers, including a gym teacher, tipped her over the edge.  Steve understood.  I loved the exchange between Steve and Kono in the car.  

Steve:  Do you want to sit this one out?

Kono:  No

Steve:  Good.

• Love 4
On 3/11/2017 at 3:03 PM, ganesh said:

So it's ok to break some guy's window and throw away his keys because he honked at you for blocking the road? And how does the guy not take a picture of her and her plate and go right to the police?

LOL, road rage!!!  And, how does Kono know the other driver isn't some mentally unstable person with a loaded weapon?  Even as Law Enforcement, they should know better than to engage somebody who may possibly be armed without first assessing the situation.

I feel sorry for her, but damn, that scene had me rolling on the ground.  Way to take the piss out of an emotional episode, writers.

Edited by Utpe
  • Love 2

I remember the episode with Steve looking at the pictures of the abused kids with a horrified look on his face, but don't remember anything I would call a break down.   Kono beating the guy up was gratuitous, but no more so than usual for any of the team.  Hell, the whole team seems more than willing to beat up perps at the drop of a hat - or knife, as it were.  It was the zoning out at the stoplight and her reaction to the horn-honking guy behind her that seemed way over the top.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Utpe said:

And, how does Kono know the other driver isn't some mentally unstable person with a loaded weapon? 

I don't know what the gun culture is in Hawaii, but where I live it would be a serious concern. 

• Love 1
On 3/16/2017 at 0:54 AM, Mittengirl said:

I remember the episode with Steve looking at the pictures of the abused kids with a horrified look on his face, but don't remember anything I would call a break down.  

He started crying as he flipped each picture and realized how many victims there were.  Regardless of whether it was him "breaking down" or "crying" or whatever.  The point is that he became emotional - and had no personal ties to those children.