Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: The Spencer's Gift

Michel
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Erica is jealous of Barry's performance when they both get jobs at Spencer's.  Murray insists that Adam get a job, but Beverly thinks he should focus on filmmaking.

Wait.  Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" was a song back in the '80s?  I'd thought it'd only just come out in this century!  I first heard it during a Luke/Noah scene on As the World Turns, and they elected to make it "their" song.

Just Erica's luck that Barry would actually be better at something than she is.  And of course he'd get drunk with power as soon as he became the assistant manager to the point that Erica would try to sabotage him by playing dirty.  But at least the resolution was nice.  But it doesn't look like he got his job back.

Color me shocked that the Rush-loving kid is actually good at geometry.  And in this one, he goes all-out as a bully.  And it looks like Erica and Lainey's crazy friend (who still seems to be with him!) is almost as much of one, which surprises me, since other than being a klepto, she seemed pretty harmless.  In any case, they're the main reason, it seems, that Adam loses a job that's perfect for him.  Though at least they're also essential in him getting it back.

Why would Beverly think that she would be Adam's date to awards shows?  Of course he'd take his wife or girlfriend!

Was that Tyrese from TWD playing Barry and Erica's boss?

No RLS.  I really miss seeing that cutie.:(

Edited by Michel
Episode number.
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Michel said:

Wait.  Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" was a song back in the '80s?  I'd thought it'd only just come out in this century!  I first heard it during a Luke/Noah scene on As the World Turns, and they elected to make it "their" son

True Colors came out in 1986. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Michel said:

Was that Tyrese from TWD playing Barry and Erica's boss?

And Dennis "Cutty" Wise from The Wire. Good to see him continuing his healthy rehabilitation!

Treading cautiously here, but no AFG joke, and with a lot of "talent related" story with Adam. Maybe they finally put it to bed!

It's interesting, with the Barry and Adam stories, it almost felt like the writers were looking at long term wind-up. But I'm sure the producers are looking to squeeze at least one more season out to hit that magical, 100 episodes.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Traveller519 said:

And Dennis "Cutty" Wise from The Wire. Good to see him continuing his healthy rehabilitation!

I was so excited to see Cutty Wise here, and to see he has continued to avoid his previous life of crime!

Fun episode, and they are continuing to show Barry heading towards his future as a doctor. And I've been a sucker for True Colors for quite some time, so this just hit my sweet spot.

The arcade is the perfect job for Adam! And his commercial was actually pretty cool, in an 80s kind of way. Hopefully Adam can make it to the Oscars/Emmys some day soon! Bev would be thrilled, even if he does want to take his wife.

• Love 6

Color me shocked that the Rush-loving kid is actually good at geometry.  And in this one, he goes all-out as a bully. 

I must have missed the moment that fucking Rush kid showed off his skill in geometry. Either that or I was too busy wishing for the yet to be created "Metallica kid" to come by and stomp that pudgy, pasty faced, loser into the ground, which would be the natural order of things as they were in the 80's. 

In case it was unclear, I REALLY hate that fucking Rush kid. 

But it figures he could bully Adam. A 1st grader could bully that kid.

But Adam being a wimp isn't new or interesting. What really threw me for a loop was his singing True Colors while wearing that wig and a guitar. What the hell was that supposed to be? It certainly wasn't Lauper-esque. And of course it was based on a real Adam F. Goldberg home video, so it made twice as confusing. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, reggiejax said:

I must have missed the moment that fucking Rush kid showed off his skill in geometry.

He didn't.  Adam just dropped a line in which he said that the only A he really had was in geometry.  All the others were F's turned into A's.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 1
45 minutes ago, Michel said:

He didn't.  Adam just dropped a line in which he said that the only A he really had was in geometry.  All the others were F's turned into A's.

I did see the scene where that Rush loving douchebag showed off his altered report card. I must have missed Adam making a mention of the only real A being in Geometry. Then again, it is hard to hear Sean Giambrone's dialogue at times, what with that Chicago accent so thick you could spread it on bread. I am a lifelong Chicagoan, and even I'm amazed at how thick that kid's accent is. That is another thing to differentiate him from the other Adam Goldberg. Or should I say "the udder Ahhhhdum Goldberg"

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

I did see the scene where that Rush loving douchebag showed off his altered report card. I must have missed Adam making a mention of the only real A being in Geometry. Then again, it is hard to hear Sean Giambrone's dialogue at times, what with that Chicago accent so thick you could spread it on bread. I am a lifelong Chicagoan, and even I'm amazed at how thick that kid's accent is. That is another thing to differentiate him from the other Adam Goldberg. Or should I say "the udder Ahhhhdum Goldberg"

Weird, I'm from Georgia but I don't have trouble understanding him.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

Weird, I'm from Georgia but I don't have trouble understanding him.

Point in fact, I can understand him too. I was just cracking wise about his thick accent. As thick as it is, I can understand him. If I missed his remark about the Rush kid's A in geometry it likely had more to do with being distracted by my disgust every time that pudgy loser shows up onscreen. 

He wasn't skilled in geometry. Adam said these aren't A's. A's don't have right angles which you should know since you gave yourself an A in geometry. That's not verbatim but it was similar to that, I think.

• Love 5

He wasn't skilled in geometry. Adam said these aren't A's. A's don't have right angles which you should know since you gave yourself an A in geometry. That's not verbatim but it was similar to that, I think.

I think what all this confusion proves is that the Rush kid, like his favorite band, sucks the big one, and should be retconned out of existence. 

Edited by reggiejax

DUDE!  

Rush RULES and I will not stand for this.  Which is why I am slouching in my chair.

I watched the ep yesterday on the day my favorite mall, which is dying, was announced to have been sold and may be revitalized. So I got all verklempt when the entire show basically revolved around the mall.  SO MANY fond memories of hanging out smoking on the benches.  The 80's were a dangerous time.

• Love 8
On 2/16/2017 at 0:01 PM, reggiejax said:

What really threw me for a loop was his singing True Colors while wearing that wig and a guitar. What the hell was that supposed to be? It certainly wasn't Lauper-esque. And of course it was based on a real Adam F. Goldberg home video, so it made twice as confusing. 

This thoroughly confused me too.  The wig was a dark wig too, dreadlocked, I think, which added to my confusion. He obviously wasn't trying to emulate Cyndi Lauper, so was he just making up some random character? That could be it, I suppose, as he's a creative kid. Also, is there even a guitar in that song? I have the original album (on vinyl) at home but I'm at work now. Geez, I am old. 

On 2/16/2017 at 9:10 AM, joanne3482 said:

True Colors came out in 1986. 

It was actually 1984.

"True Colors" was co-written by Cyndi Lauper and Rob Hyman. Hyman was a member of the Philadelphia band The Hooters. They had some decent-sized hits in the 80's with "And We Danced", "Day by Day", "All You Zombies".

That same year, Bazilian and Hyman were asked to write, arrange and perform on the debut album of a relatively unknown singer named Cyndi Lauper, She's So Unusual, which was being produced by their former producer and friend, Rick Chertoff. Hyman co-wrote the song "Time After Time" (and also sang the lower harmony vocal in the choruses), which would go on to hit Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart and was subsequently nominated for a Grammy Award for Song of the Year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hooters

"And We Danced" and The Hooters version of "Time After Time".

Edited by Accidental Martyr
  • Love 4

I have no idea what a Chicago accent even is...born & raised in PA here & he doesn't sound any different than I do.

On 2/17/2017 at 9:31 AM, mojoween said:

Rush RULES and I will not stand for this. 

PREACH!!! 

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 2
On 2/16/2017 at 5:48 AM, Michel said:

Just Erica's luck that Barry would actually be better at something than she is.  And of course he'd get drunk with power as soon as he became the assistant manager to the point that Erica would try to sabotage him by playing dirty.  But at least the resolution was nice.  But it doesn't look like he got his job back.

I thought he did.  I assumed the commercial he did with Erica and the boss was after the firing incident.  This show really needs to do something other than character acts like a bitch toward other character, character feels guilty, character does something schmoopy to make up for being a bitch to other character.  It's getting really boring.  Plus, this show has once again lowered my nostalgia level toward 80s music...I never liked True Colors (or any Cyndi Lauper song, really) AT ALL...I only liked her Girls Just Want to Have Fun video because Captain Lou was in it!

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:19 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

"True Colors" was co-written by Cyndi Lauper and Rob Hyman. Hyman was a member of the Philadelphia band The Hooters. They had some decent-sized hits in the 80's with "And We Danced", "Day by Day", "All You Zombies".

They also opened LiveAid in Philadelphia (which we saw in an earlier episode).

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 6:39 AM, ByTor said:

This show really needs to do something other than character acts like a bitch toward other character, character feels guilty, character does something schmoopy to make up for being a bitch to other character.  It's getting really boring. 

That's the next thing for the show to meta-address.

• Love 3

The Hooters also played at my private k-12 school. They allowed 7-12 to go. I was in 7th, and they almost didn't allow us tickets. Whew!

Also, the Willow Grove Mall was awesome. I lived too far to go on a regular basis (we went to the Plymouth Meeting Mall instead), but it was a high class mall for the time.

Edited by Lawgiver
On 2/20/2017 at 5:31 AM, ByTor said:

I have no idea what a Chicago accent even is...born & raised in PA here & he doesn't sound any different than I do.

PREACH!!! 

Depending on which part of PA you're from, the Inland Northern American accent may sound familiar

BTW, Sam G was from MI and Park  Ridge IL - an upscale  burb on the NW border of Chicago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English

Edited by sheetmoss