Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Minutiae Thread: For Those Pesky Job/Housing/Money/Geography Details

Dejana
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

Yeah, seriously. They could just go to the NJ/NY/PA area, drive around for a week or two, to understand what the area is like. You don't drive from Pittsburgh for the day to go to a Broadway show... and you don't make a pit stop in Alpine, it is not on the way.

Heck, they could just look at a map.  I don't live in California, but I know that LA and San Francisco aren't a quick trip apart. They also don't seem to get the vibe of the places.  Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are in the same state, but they are totally different culturally.  Philly is an east coast city, Pittsburgh is more like a midwestern one; being far closer to places like Buffalo and Cleveland both geographically and lifestyle-wise.  There are also lots of iconic-type views in both places.  At the very least, a couple of B-roll shots of the 3 rivers in Pittsburgh or downtown Philly would go a long way towards setting the scene as they go.  The writers don't seem to have done any research at all about the settings for the show beyond the very superficial Pittsburgh=Steelers.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Heck, they could just look at a map.  I don't live in California, but I know that LA and San Francisco aren't a quick trip apart. They also don't seem to get the vibe of the places.  Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are in the same state, but they are totally different culturally.  Philly is an east coast city, Pittsburgh is more like a midwestern one; being far closer to places like Buffalo and Cleveland both geographically and lifestyle-wise.  There are also lots of iconic-type views in both places.  At the very least, a couple of B-roll shots of the 3 rivers in Pittsburgh or downtown Philly would go a long way towards setting the scene as they go.  The writers don't seem to have done any research at all about the settings for the show beyond the very superficial Pittsburgh=Steelers.

Not sure how much it will help the authenticity but 

Spoiler

about a month ago they filmed a few scenes in Philly. My mom works in West Philly (a neighborhood which is slowly being gentrified) and said there were filming crews outside the building where she works. Local paparazzi also took pictures of Justin Hartley and Melanie Liburd filming scenes at the Philly NPR station (with Terry Gross).

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Dan Fogleman was born and raised in Bergen County NJ so I don’t think it’s lack of real world experience with the area.

OK, then I really don't get it.  He should know that Pittsburgh is not anywhere near Philly. I don't know why they didn't just make the Pearsons from Philadelphia, it seems like that's the area they want to be in. 

• Love 6

Exactly. I mean, they even used Doylestown in the Best Washing Machine in the World episode. Jack saying something about meeting "the Doylestown people". Doylestown is near Philadelphia. I lived in Doylestown for ten years. Next episode is even called A Philadelphia Story. They could have used a CGI Veterans Stadium in their coming back together date in 1997 (night the dog showed up) instead of 3 Rivers Stadium. 

13 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

OK, then I really don't get it.  He should know that Pittsburgh is not anywhere near Philly. I don't know why they didn't just make the Pearsons from Philadelphia, it seems like that's the area they want to be in. 

• Love 1
On 9/29/2018 at 2:35 AM, bros402 said:

You don't drive from Pittsburgh for the day to go to a Broadway show... and you don't make a pit stop in Alpine, it is not on the way.

Rebecca and Miguel live in the greater NYC metro area. Somewhere close enough for Kate (driven by Rebecca) and Toby to visit NYC for doctors appointments when staying with them over the holidays in season 1.  

Creator Dan Fogelman spent his first eight years in Bethel Park, a Pittsburgh suburb, where the Pearsons lived.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pallas said:

Rebecca and Miguel live in the greater NYC metro area. Somewhere close enough for Kate (driven by Rebecca) and Toby to visit NYC for doctor's appointments when staying with them over the holidays in season 1.  

Creator Dan Fogelman spent his first eight years in Bethel Park, a Pittsburgh suburb, where the Perasons lived.

I am guessing Rebecca and Miguel are somewhere within 2 hours of NYC then, but still, making a detour north to Alpine is a bit silly

• Love 1

What day of the week did the premiere take place? I thought Randall said it was Saturday. So Randall thought Philly councilmembers would be in their offices in City Hall and that city maintenance workers would make non-emergency repairs on a Saturday? 

• Love 5
On 9/30/2018 at 10:24 AM, ChromaKelly said:

On 10/1/2018 at 12:11 AM, Violetgoblin6 said:

Exactly. I mean, they even used Doylestown in the Best Washing Machine in the World episode. Jack saying something about meeting "the Doylestown people". Doylestown is near Philadelphia. I lived in Doylestown for ten years. Next episode is even called A Philadelphia Story. They could have used a CGI Veterans Stadium in their coming back together date in 1997 (night the dog showed up) instead of 3 Rivers Stadium. 

I grew up in Philly and this has always driven me nuts. Pittsburgh is like six hours from Philly. It's closer to Ohio than Philly, and very different culturally. You literally have to go across PA to go between them. Alpine, NJ, where Randall lives, is essentially a NYC suburb. We know Randall worked in NYC before he quit his job. NYC and Philly are about two hours apart (half my family is from Philly, the other half is from NYC, and I've lived in both cities - I've spent literally my entire life going between them). You can do day driving, bus, or train trips from Alpine to Philly. I've had coworkers who lived in Philly and worked in NYC because the cost of living is lower. You can't do them from Pittsburgh to Alpine/NYC unless you fly. And Doylestown is a Philly suburb. I had a friend in high school whose boyfriend lived out there (he went to another school). It has nothing to do with Pittsburgh.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Since it looks like we might be going there...

How This Philadelphia Neighborhood is Gentrifying without displacement

I don't really expect a nuanced researched view of this, but Philly's gentrification IS a hot button is right now, as it's starting to creep into North Philly.

Yup Methodwriter85! I live an hour and a half north of Philadelphia (between Philly and Allentown PA, near Easton), but actually worked in Philadelphia until two weeks ago and lived in many Philly suburbs in my 44 years. Philly gentrification is huge. Northern Liberties, Fish Town, Manayunk (used to be not so great when I was a kid, now-millennial chic). I'd put money down that the show is going there. Maybe putting Joyce (Deja's mom) into one of the renovated units. 

Edited by Violetgoblin6
Typo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Violetgoblin6 said:

North Philadelphia according to the sign on the gate where Randall was installing the light bulb. 

Oh derp. Plus it's "A Philadelphia Story". I'm not sure why I thought it might be Camden. 

10 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

So, where is the rec center? Is it Camden or Philly? Randall must love driving the Jersey Turnpike.

Randall's building is at 3rd and Olney. I think Randall said the rec center is on 5th St. That would be North 5th Street. Not a good area.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:24 AM, ChromaKelly said:

Pittsburgh people barely tolerate Filthydelphia people. Or, as the joke goes, 

"Pennsylvania: two cities that hate each other, separated by the Amish."

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

We’re not overly fond of Shitsburgh, either. Sheetz sucks, Wawa rules. 

Wawa is the best convenience store of all time.  I hate that they stop in Virginia and do not continue on into NC.

• Love 4

Some establishing shots would not hurt this show. I had actually wondered if Randall's building was in Trenton until this episode, and for the last two years I've been confused about where Rebecca and Miguel live. Didn't Kevin stay with them last year when he got that award at his HS - in Pittsburgh? That makes no sense.

And what are Kate and Toby doing in LA? What jobs do they have at this point? Why is the show keeping them there when it makes things so difficult narratively with the rest of the clan?

I know this show isn't about the common sense so much, though, lol.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

6 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Pittsburgh people barely tolerate Filthydelphia people. Or, as the joke goes, 

"Pennsylvania: two cities that hate each other, separated by the Amish."

We’re not overly fond of Shitsburgh, either. Sheetz sucks, Wawa rules. 

I live in Lancaster (and, no I’m not Amish!). I feel like Mom and Dad are fighting! ? Turkey Hill!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No he didn’t stay with them

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I thought he wound up with them after the snafu with losing the necklace. But I often can't follow the geography on this show so I'm probably misremembering.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Moxie Cat said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I thought he wound up with them after the snafu with losing the necklace. But I often can't follow the geography on this show so I'm probably misremembering.

After the necklace snafu he drives all night and ends up at Randall’s house.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I'm from northern Delaware, which is basically treated as suburban Philadelphia, and I lived for 2 years in Pittsburgh, and learning about the Pittsburgh/Philly thing was fascinating. I wouldn't have expected that at all. They don't even compete in the same leagues for most of their sports teams. Both have great things about it, although I kind of love the terrain of Pittsburgh. It's just unbeatable- all those beautiful, rolling hills. It's why you can't do acres and acres of flat boring suburbia like you can for most of suburban Philly.

Ken Olin's 30-Something made a real effort with the Philly setting, which is why it's frustrating that they're not doing much to show them as being in Pittsburgh.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Some establishing shots would not hurt this show. I had actually wondered if Randall's building was in Trenton until this episode, and for the last two years I've been confused about where Rebecca and Miguel live. Didn't Kevin stay with them last year when he got that award at his HS - in Pittsburgh? That makes no sense.

I know the show isn't filmed on location, but for the Philadelphia scenes, I would love to see some of the extras/guest actors be actual Philadelphia residents. Then I'd be able to hear people say they were going to get some "Warter ice" or a hoagie from the local WaWa. 

• Love 3
On 10/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, topanga said:

I know the show isn't filmed on location, but for the Philadelphia scenes, I would love to see some of the extras/guest actors be actual Philadelphia residents. Then I'd be able to hear people say they were going to get some "Warter ice" or a hoagie from the local WaWa. 

Yeah, I haven't heard a single "dahn tahn" or "yinz" in the Burgh scenes

ETA: Jack also hasn't "worshed" the car, and they didn't take the kids to Kennywood. 

Edited by Colleenna
Additional thought.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Another show that gets Philly (at least the burbs) exactly right: the Goldbergs. Every episode has some in-joke or reference because the creator is from Jenkintown (a Philly burb). Wawa has been used quite a lot, and even smaller restaurants, malls, etc. He really makes it fun. It's a shame the showwrunner on this show hasn't put in the same effort for Pittsburgh - that kind of detail makes it really fun for local fans.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Bean421 said:

The preview shows Randall running for city council in Philidelphia. How is that possible since they live in New Jersey? 

he probably gave one of THOSE speechs again and they let him get around the laws because of it

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:32 AM, ChromaKelly said:

I'm in Baltimore. Royal Farms for Life!!!! 

Chicken, it's all about the chicken!!!!

Having my daughter live in Philadelphia (went to school there, met her boyfriend there, has a great job...never moving back to Baltimore :(), has given me such love for the city and my oldest friend lives in Drexel Hill now I get the best of both worlds from Philly. 

So how will Randall spin the living in NJ and running for office in PA?  Will Randall get a weekday apartment in Center City?  Will they move now that Beth is unemployed and take the kids out of their schools and away from friends?

Edited by Baltimore Betty
  • Love 2
On 10/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, topanga said:

It's actually "wooder ice." :)

I noticed that Randall was running for city council in the preview and ... huh? Alpine isn't even in the part of NJ that's close to Philly. It's closer to NYC than Philly. Did he move?

Also, I love Randall, but I want to see Beth carve out something for herself rather than supporting Randall's latest idea.

• Love 3
On 10/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, Empress1 said:

It's actually "wooder ice." :)

I noticed that Randall was running for city council in the preview and ... huh? Alpine isn't even in the part of NJ that's close to Philly. It's closer to NYC than Philly. Did he move?

Also, I love Randall, but I want to see Beth carve out something for herself rather than supporting Randall's latest idea.

I'm guessing we'll have some good ol election fraud - Randall will say he's living in his apartment, or maybe he'll live there a few days a week. I think I saw someoen say in one of the topics that the next election in Philly for city council is 2019, and they require 1 year residency by the time of the election to run

• Love 1
On 10/4/2018 at 4:31 PM, Moxie Cat said:

I know this show isn't about the common sense so much, though, lol.

Truer words have never been spoken!  This show really does make you scratch your head.  A lot.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:31 PM, Empress1 said:

If the writers wanted to pick an upscale community in NJ that was as far as possible from Philadelphia, they succeeded!  Alpine actually borders NY State!  They never should have shown that damned post card which allowed us to pinpoint where Randall and Beth live.  At least without a definitive answer, we could have assumed that they lived somewhere in central NJ, where a lot of people do commute into NYC for work but still have a reasonable drive to Philly.  It truly makes me think the writers put no long-term thinking into the full story arc of the series and that they're just making it up as they go along. 

• Love 5

Cherry Hill would have made much more sense.

7 hours ago, ProudMary said:

It truly makes me think the writers put no long-term thinking into the full story arc of the series and that they're just making it up as they go along. 

I don't think the fire was even planned from the start. As a lot of people have pointed out, these people have A LOT of childhood stuff for people that lost their childhood home in a fire. The only way it even makes sense is that they kept a lot of mementos at the cabin. It did at least look like family video viewing equipment was set up there.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Truer words have never been spoken!  This show really does make you scratch your head.  A lot.

If the writers wanted to pick an upscale community in NJ that was as far as possible from Philadelphia, they succeeded!  Alpine actually borders NY State!  They never should have shown that damned post card which allowed us to pinpoint where Randall and Beth live.  At least without a definitive answer, we could have assumed that they lived somewhere in central NJ, where a lot of people do commute into NYC for work but still have a reasonable drive to Philly.  It truly makes me think the writers put no long-term thinking into the full story arc of the series and that they're just making it up as they go along. 

They could've picked Cherry Hill, or Rumson, or Mantoloking, or a bunch of other upscale areas

Showrunner Dan Fogelman spent his teenage years in River Vale, NJ, 7.5 miles northwest of Alpine. I'm guessing he chose Alpine for its even loftier median income, slightly closer proximity to NYC, and the name. Stevie Wonder used to own a home on Beth and Randall's street. 

Fogelman went to UPenn, so he knows the Philly/northern Jersey route well. And with that said, I got nothin'. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, bros402 said:

They could've picked Cherry Hill, or Rumson, or Mantoloking, or a bunch of other upscale areas

Perhaps not Cherry Hill as that wouldn't have fit with Randall's daily commute into NYC but yes to Rumson or Mantoloking.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:51 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm from northern Delaware, which is basically treated as suburban Philadelphia, and I lived for 2 years in Pittsburgh, and learning about the Pittsburgh/Philly thing was fascinating. I wouldn't have expected that at all. They don't even compete in the same leagues for most of their sports teams. Both have great things about it, although I kind of love the terrain of Pittsburgh. It's just unbeatable- all those beautiful, rolling hills. It's why you can't do acres and acres of flat boring suburbia like you can for most of suburban Philly.

Ken Olin's 30-Something made a real effort with the Philly setting, which is why it's frustrating that they're not doing much to show them as being in Pittsburgh.

I grew up in lots of Philadelphia burbs and agree with you concerning 30something. I lived in Sussex Co DE too. 

Edited by Violetgoblin6
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Perhaps not Cherry Hill as that wouldn't have fit with Randall's daily commute into NYC but yes to Rumson or Mantoloking.

If they wanted the family to live in Cherry Hill they could've had him working in Philly. And they could've had William living in NYC if they wanted some distance between the two.

17 hours ago, Pallas said:

Showrunner Dan Fogelman spent his teenage years in River Vale, NJ, 7.5 miles northwest of Alpine. I'm guessing he chose Alpine for its even loftier median income, slightly closer proximity to NYC, and the name. Stevie Wonder used to own a home on Beth and Randall's street. 

Fogelman went to UPenn, so he knows the Philly/northern Jersey route well. And with that said, I got nothin'. 

Montclair would've been a better pick than Alpine, silly Dan Fogelman.

• Love 1

I've always kind of been curious about seeing Cherry Hill Mall. It's supposed to be roughly on par with my mall (Christiana), but we're both bowing to the King of Prussia Mall. (Haven't seen that one yet, either, but my inner 90's mallrat child is dying to.)

I just can't with this storyline. There are so many things I'm willing to handwave, but this is such a firm line for me. Like, a whole fucking state boundary line as Randall would be lying his ass off to even try to pretend he counts as a resident of Pennsylvania. I would be fine with him wanting to move the family there and fix up more houses, but the city council thing just feels insulting to the audience's intelligence.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

Montclair would've been a better pick than Alpine, silly Dan Fogelman.

It would. I suppose the point was to show how Randall, in his pristine enclave, was isolating himself and his family. 

10 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

Why didn’t they just make it so that William was living in NY? That would have solved all of these problems.

It would. I wonder if, for the opening of the show, Fogelman wanted to touch on all three points of his first 20 years: Bethel Park, Bergen County and Philly. Or if, when it came to Randall's contemporary story, he wanted the names of the settings to suggest a perspective: Alpine vs. the City of Brotherly Love. 

I think it's as simple as this: Fogelman wanted to set the show in areas where he'd lived, and it's convenient for the writers to pretend that they're all really close together, so that the characters can travel to each other's locales all the time.

I wish they wouldn't do it that way, but I recognize that a whole lot of viewers don't notice or care.

That said, there are still some choices that don't have anything to do with convenience, and are probably just based on ignorance - like having Jack (in Pittsburgh) say he's meeting with the Doylestown people. Why not choose a Pittsburgh suburb?

Doylestown OH, perhaps: about two-and-a-half hours away? (Which as we know, in This is Us, is the gold standard for a puddle jump.) But why not a Pittsburgh suburb. I don't remember the context: was Jack saying, or the show implying, that the folks were from some distance?