Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Minutiae Thread: For Those Pesky Job/Housing/Money/Geography Details

Dejana
  • Start Topic

18 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

What survived The Big House Fire has been up for debate and discussion since the beginning.  Some of us have fanwanked that some of the surviving possessions were at the cabin, and not inside the house when it burned down. 

Jack rescued as many of the family photo albums as he could fit in the pillowcase along with Rebecca's necklace and Kate's videotape. There also may have been photo albums or framed photos at the cabin. As far as the box with the postcard from Nicky, it may have been stashed in the detached garage, which likely spared it from burning along with Jack's tools. Or Jack may have kept the correspondence from Nicky at the office, which meant Miguel likely gave it to Rebecca after Jack died. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Nancybeth said:

But I was.  My point was that Toby said he contacted Kevin, who had photos of the stadium that Jack made for Kate, and that's how he had it recreated.  I didn't say anything about Kevin's football photos.  

OK, I misunderstood, sorry about that!

2 hours ago, MsChicklet said:

Jack rescued as many of the family photo albums as he could fit in the pillowcase along with Rebecca's necklace and Kate's videotape. There also may have been photo albums or framed photos at the cabin. As far as the box with the postcard from Nicky, it may have been stashed in the detached garage, which likely spared it from burning along with Jack's tools. Or Jack may have kept the correspondence from Nicky at the office, which meant Miguel likely gave it to Rebecca after Jack died. 

I think in an episode awhile back, we saw Jack go look at a Vietnam picture with himself and Nicky, and he had it pretty hidden away in a box, I think in the garage.  So from now on, anything that turns up, my head canon will be that it was in the garage. 

• Love 5

So this most recent episode had a time jump of seven weeks; if we pretend the election was, say, January 15, 7 weeks before that was approximately the end of November/beginning of December, a time at which nobody ever starts going to college. This whole idea that Kate knows a whole bunch of people at "my college", when Toby just had the idea seven weeks ago and the semester hasn't started, or has barely begun if I'm being generous, is ridiculous.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

So this most recent episode had a time jump of seven weeks; if we pretend the election was, say, January 15, 7 weeks before that was approximately the end of November/beginning of December, a time at which nobody ever starts going to college. This whole idea that Kate knows a whole bunch of people at "my college", when Toby just had the idea seven weeks ago and the semester hasn't started, or has barely begun if I'm being generous, is ridiculous.

To me it felt like they wanted this episode to be in September, since you can actually get to election day from September and have 7 weeks go by - and Philly elections for councilman is regular election day.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, bros402 said:

To me it felt like they wanted this episode to be in September, since you can actually get to election day from September and have 7 weeks go by - and Philly elections for councilman is regular election day.

I'd go with that in a heartbeat, except that we had Christmas and New Years during the 7 weeks (Beth was wrapping Christmas presents, and Randall had to get blueberry (no, I'm NOT saying boo-berry) pie for Beth so her New Years would be "real".  

Edited by MaryPatShelby
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I'd go with that in a heartbeat, except that we had Christmas and New Years during the 7 weeks (Beth was wrapping Christmas presents, and Randall had to get blueberry (no, I'm NOT saying boo-berry) pie for Beth so her New Years would be "real".  

They should've had this season take place much earlier in the year so this episode could take place in November

or

make it so a recount had to be held so there was a reason for this episode to have the results of an election around new years!

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, bros402 said:

They should've had this season take place much earlier in the year so this episode could take place in November

or

make it so a recount had to be held so there was a reason for this episode to have the results of an election around new years!

It was a special election triggered by the Pearson sense of entitlement. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 17
Just now, biakbiak said:

It was a special election triggered by the Pearson sense of entitlement. 

Ahhh, there we go. My sense of what is right with the world has returned, it all makes sense now. The Pearsons must have gotten together, held hands, and said a speech in the middle of the field to beseech all who would listen to change the election day for that specific election. And Kate & Toby's baby participated in the speech via telepathy.

• Love 5
On 1/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

I started Ole Miss January 13,1986. It was the Spring Semester. 

4 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Nick offered Jack Nesquik in 1992, but I'm pretty sure it was still called Nestle Quik until later in the 90s.

It did say Nestle Quik on the container, so at least the prop department got it right.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MaryPatShelby said:

But on that day, did you immediately know a whole bunch of people at your college that you could sell things to and email?

Most colleges these days have electronic message boards set up for just that purpose and students sell all sorts of stuff there.  Back when I was in college, it was bulletin boards where you’d hang a sign with tabs having your phone number.  There was no rule about how long a student had to be enrolled to use it.

• Love 2

When I was in college, I saw one of the ubiquitous book for sale signs on a bulletin board:  "Science book for sale, $12" Call xxx-xxxx (or something like that).  Another wiseacre student had handwritten a note on the same posting card that said "Same book, $7."  Different phone number.  Cold, man, cold.

• Love 3

It just occurred to me that however long Kate has been attending classes, and it can't have been very long, she has now bounced to Pennsylvania on the uncle quest.  It was probably not on a weekend, since Beth had a job interview scheduled.  Sure, maybe it's Friday and she has no classes, and I know there are online options, etc. but you still have to put in some work.  You don't enroll after a twenty-year absence and then just go play Nancy Drew.  While in a high-risk pregnancy.  Her first impulse not to go was the better one.

• Love 5
On 2/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, ShadowFacts said:

It just occurred to me that however long Kate has been attending classes, and it can't have been very long, she has now bounced to Pennsylvania on the uncle quest.  It was probably not on a weekend, since Beth had a job interview scheduled.  Sure, maybe it's Friday and she has no classes, and I know there are online options, etc. but you still have to put in some work.  You don't enroll after a twenty-year absence and then just go play Nancy Drew.  While in a high-risk pregnancy.  Her first impulse not to go was the better one.

An education degree is very easy - and I imagine she is going part time, she could be taking 1 or 2 classes, so that's 3 hours of class a week, maybe a few hours of homework.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, but I am from eastern PA, and I know enough to know that Jack wouldn't be sitting outside on the porch, surrounded by green grass, flowering bushes, and chirping birds in February in Pittsburgh!  Nor would he be lifting weights in an unheated, uninsulated garage in Pittsburgh, in February.  Come on....

• Love 9

This is probably going to draw some criticism. Kate was saying on the road trip how she had to pee every 15 minutes or something like that now that she is pregnant. She is living in LA but flew to Pittsburg. That is a four and a half hour flight. She would have to get up to go to the bathroom multiple times and also, well, how easy would it be for her to fit in an airplane lavatory? Had to really suspend reality in these past 2 episodes, I think.

• Love 2
On 2/8/2019 at 11:58 PM, bros402 said:

An education degree is very easy - and I imagine she is going part time, she could be taking 1 or 2 classes, so that's 3 hours of class a week, maybe a few hours of homework.

I have no idea how easy it is, but I know that you can't get one at a community college. So why is Kate going to one?

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

This is probably going to draw some criticism. Kate was saying on the road trip how she had to pee every 15 minutes or something like that now that she is pregnant. She is living in LA but flew to Pittsburg. That is a four and a half hour flight. She would have to get up to go to the bathroom multiple times and also, well, how easy would it be for her to fit in an airplane lavatory? Had to really suspend reality in these past 2 episodes, I think.

It's difficult for anyone but a small child to fit into one of the regular commercial aircraft lavatories nowadays.  I believe they made them smaller to cut down on the Mile High Club antics but also to fit more seats in, perhaps?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, J-Man said:

I have no idea how easy it is, but I know that you can't get one at a community college. So why is Kate going to one?

I am just operating under the assumption she is going to a CC that has a partner program with a 4 year school - some CCs, at least in my area, have programs where they partner with 4 year schools to provide degrees through their school - 2 years at the CC, then 2 years through the 4 year (sometimes, the classes are taught at the CC, sometimes at the 4 year)

5 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

It's difficult for anyone but a small child to fit into one of the regular commercial aircraft lavatories nowadays.  I believe they made them smaller to cut down on the Mile High Club antics but also to fit more seats in, perhaps?

I am on the high side of normal weight and I have a bear of a time in those abominations. So much so that I don't hydrate as much as I should. I don't know how someone Kate's size manages, if they even are able to get inside and close the door.

4 hours ago, bros402 said:

I have an education degree - I have a BA in Special Education and I am certified to teach K-6. I got an AA in education and then I got my BA in Special Education. The education specific courses were easy, mostly common sense things, and after you learn how to write a lesson plan, that is easy. The psychology courses were interesting, too, but it's not like any of the required psych courses were anything beyond a 200-level course.

Kate's been out of school for many years, and was never interested in education until a minute ago, so I would expect a learning curve.  She's been all about music, supposedly, and managing her actor brother, so education would be different, both studying it and being in a college setting. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I am on the high side of normal weight and I have a bear of a time in those abominations. So much so that I don't hydrate as much as I should. I don't know how someone Kate's size manages, if they even are able to get inside and close the door.

Kate's been out of school for many years, and was never interested in education until a minute ago, so I would expect a learning curve.  She's been all about music, supposedly, and managing her actor brother, so education would be different, both studying it and being in a college setting. 

Yeah, I hope she has some difficulty with it, because she hasn't really done anything mentally rigorous - or when she did, her former employer (her brother) probably cut her a loooot of slack. From the childhood scenes, it seems like she was not dumb, so she will get back in an educational groove after a bit.

How was it that Bethany's mother Carol was driving her to a freshman mixer with students from Carnegie Mellon, 250 miles from DC? And are mixers now held in a multi-purpose room during the daytime, with check-ins and nametags but no music, like a software client conference?

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Pallas said:

How was it that Bethany's mother Carol was driving her to a freshman mixer with students from Carnegie Mellon, 250 miles from DC? And are mixers now held in a multi-purpose room during the daytime, with check-ins and nametags but no music, like a software client conference?

I'm assuming that the mixer was scheduled during either orientation weekend or move-in weekend.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Pallas said:

Exactly my thought. At first I thought maybe it was Howard and Randall ended up going there after all but then I realized most of the kids were white and that didn’t add up.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, Eureka said:

Exactly my thought. At first I thought maybe it was Howard and Randall ended up going there after all but then I realized most of the kids were white and that didn’t add up.

I'm guessing Randall chose Carnegie Mellon to be close to Rebecca.  

• Love 1

I'm importing this conversation from the R&B episode thread, where we were trying to figure out Randall & Beth's finances (and the issue of insurance and William's medical care arose), and I think we've hit the minutia stage.

46 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

I recently got myself COBRA continuation coverage, and the period of eligibility is now 36 months.

He might not have been 65.  Randall was 36 when he found him, say William was in his mid-twenties when Randall was born, that would put him in his early 60s.  I just took it that Randall was paying for his care out of pocket.  He was presented as a money-is-no-object kind of person at that time, still working. 

Isn't it circumstances depending? That is, when we took advantage of it in late 2017/early 2018,  it was 18 months if employment ended, but 36 months for other circumstances

23 minutes ago, General Days said:

I'm importing this conversation from the R&B episode thread, where we were trying to figure out Randall & Beth's finances (and the issue of insurance and William's medical care arose), and I think we've hit the minutia stage.

Isn't it circumstances depending? That is, when we took advantage of it in late 2017/early 2018,  it was 18 months if employment ended, but 36 months for other circumstances

Yes, depends on qualifying event, but 36 is the max.  Which can be a real godsend with the way individual insurance is now priced.  I'm loving it.

• Love 1

Did Randall and Beth ever mention selling their house in Alpine? Did they ever sell their house?

And where in Philadelphia do they live now? I used to live in Philly, so I've been looking for street signs or other context clues, but if there were any, I missed them.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Did Randall and Beth ever mention selling their house in Alpine? Did they ever sell their house?

Yes, we saw the family pack up and leave in a montage at the end of last season. We also saw one spouse show the other a photo listing for a Philly townhouse, maybe with the address obscured. But this Media topic article about a recent Philly location shoot places the Pearson home in Spring Garden. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, topanga said:

And where in Philadelphia do they live now? I used to live in Philly, so I've been looking for street signs or other context clues, but if there were any, I missed them.  

There was a moving montage in the season finale last year - but I have a feeling a house in Alpine would pay for the place in Philly + a decent down payment on a dance studio

• Love 3
On 11/1/2019 at 4:27 PM, Pallas said:

Yes, we saw the family pack up and leave in a montage at the end of last season. We also saw one spouse show the other a photo listing for a Philly townhouse, maybe with the address obscured. But this Media topic article about a recent Philly location shoot places the Pearson home in Spring Garden. 

On 11/2/2019 at 2:41 AM, bros402 said:

There was a moving montage in the season finale last year - but I have a feeling a house in Alpine would pay for the place in Philly + a decent down payment on a dance studio

I can’t remember that montage, but I found the second half of that season more disappointing than memorable. So thanks. 

• Love 1

Shallow nitpick that's been driving me crazy for a long time...

I get that choker necklaces were popular in the 90's (guilty!) but why does pre-teen/teen Kate have to be wearing one AT ALL TIMES? In every single scene she's in. I don't think I've seen her without one. Even while she's just lounging around. It's THE 90's! Got it!

Ahhh, I feel better now.

• LOL 3
6 hours ago, Chelz said:

I get that choker necklaces were popular in the 90's (guilty!) but why does pre-teen/teen Kate have to be wearing one AT ALL TIMES? In every single scene she's in. I don't think I've seen her without one. Even while she's just lounging around. It's THE 90's! Got it!

Ahhh, I feel better now.

Because that's what teens do.  They have to show off that they own the latest trendy thing.  Teen Kate probably slept with her choker!  I don't recall, is it the same one or different choker necklaces she's been wearing?

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Because that's what teens do.  They have to show off that they own the latest trendy thing.  Teen Kate probably slept with her choker!  I don't recall, is it the same one or different choker necklaces she's been wearing?

I feel that as a teen, certain things become part of your identity. I remember in the 90s Doc Martens boots were *the* thing at my school, and some girls wore them every day, in any kind of weather, with any kind of outfit. I probably would have too if my parents had been able to afford Doc Martens.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

8 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I feel that as a teen, certain things become part of your identity. I remember in the 90s Doc Martens boots were *the* thing at my school, and some girls wore them every day, in any kind of weather, with any kind of outfit. I probably would have too if my parents had been able to afford Doc Martens.

Agree! To clarify, I'm snarking on TPTB, not the character. 🙂

I think the ones they have the character wear are similar if not the same.

• Love 1

I swear these writers live in a version of Pennsylvania that is MUCH smaller than the one I live in...  In addition to Randall apparently being able to teleport between north Jersey, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh in the blink of an eye, it's always been understood (at least by me) that the Pearson family cabin was within a couple hours' drive from their home in Pittsburgh, and yet we found out last night that it is most likely in the Poconos...about 5 hours away.  On last night's episode, Randall for once had a semi-realistic drive of about an hour and a half from Philadelphia to get there.  But here's the thing that's chapping my britches this morning:  the paperwork Kate signed when Rebecca was returned by the police was stamped "Police Department, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 18015".  Guys, I LIVE in Bethlehem, and we are NOT within walking distance of a Pocono-area vacation cabin!  We are a city of 75K people, a good 40-60 minute DRIVE from the Poconos, depending on where you are headed.  No vacation cottages, and certainly not "the middle of nowhere" as Kevin put it.  We even have TWO major hospital systems that would have been more than capable of seeing to Madison!  Bottom line, Rebecca would have had a hell of a hike to get picked up by the Bethlehem cops.  I mean, I appreciate them trying to inject some authenticity, but there are a whole host of picturesque Pocono villages that would have been much better choices.  Do your homework, Show.

• Useful 3
  • Love 16
On 2/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, Chelz said:

Ahhh, I feel better now.

Tell that to season 4 of 90210 when the girls were wearing nothing but chokers, baby doll flowerly dresses and boots all. The. TIME.  It was like watching ever changing uniforms. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I wonder if This is Us will feel compelled to incorporate the latest round of Philly riots.

Maybe.  Maybe they'll incorporate George Floyd's murder as well, even though it didn't happen in Philadelphia, it did impact black people and Randall is black and he has a black family.  

Edited by Neurochick
On 10/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, Neurochick said:

Maybe.  Maybe they'll incorporate George Floyd's murder as well, even though it didn't happen in Philadelphia, it did impact black people and Randall is black and he has a black family.  

They did incorporate his murder - that was the video Randall watched in the premiere, and he asked Malik if he watched.

8 hours ago, bros402 said:

They did incorporate his murder - that was the video Randall watched in the premiere, and he asked Malik if he watched.

Thanks for sharing.  I made the post before I saw the episode (I didn't even know the show was back on).

15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Thanks for sharing.  I made the post before I saw the episode (I didn't even know the show was back on).

Ahhh - okay - I was thinking that might have been the case, but I was unsure.

I don't know whether I should have put this in the episode thread, but I doubt that very young children would have grasped what happened to the Challenger immediately after the explosion.  If you watch the CNN feed on YouTube, you can hear that even the CNN announcer initially thinks it's part of the liftoff process.  The NASA announcer then says, "Obviously a major malfunction," and that's when the teacher would have snapped the TV off.  The kids would have learned it later, of course, possibly even at school from overhearing older kids.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, One Imaginary Girl said:

I don't know whether I should have put this in the episode thread, but I doubt that very young children would have grasped what happened to the Challenger immediately after the explosion.  If you watch the CNN feed on YouTube, you can hear that even the CNN announcer initially thinks it's part of the liftoff process.  The NASA announcer then says, "Obviously a major malfunction," and that's when the teacher would have snapped the TV off.  The kids would have learned it later, of course, possibly even at school from overhearing older kids.

Oh no, we figured it out pretty quickly.  Or at least I did when watching this happen live.