Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Minutiae Thread: For Those Pesky Job/Housing/Money/Geography Details

Dejana
  • Start Topic

When William left Memphis, did he go to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia?

Pittsburgh is the only part that makes sense but I thought William's mother said she was going to Philly-did I hear that wrong?

1 hour ago, AriAu said:

Pittsburgh is the only part that makes sense but I thought William's mother said she was going to Philly-did I hear that wrong?

Pittsburgh. That's where his mother moved to when she left him behind in Memphis.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:20 PM, AriAu said:

As someone else said, Pittsburgh is where he went. 

My question is are the writers just playing fast and loose with geography? I assumed William always lived in the same apartment from when he had Randall until Randall came back to find him but I also believed that was In Pittsburgh. 

In the Thanksgiving episode Randall "runs" back to William's apartment to get his music and there are several times that William went back to his apartment to "feed his cat." We clearly see from his license plate in the most recent episode that Randall lives in NJ (likely right outside NYC) and Randall even says seeing his dad's ashes would be a half day out of the way on the way to Memphis (as Pittsburgh would be).  

Anyway, Pittsburgh and NJ are at least 5hrs apart. That would be a tough trip to make for a quick run to get some tapes or to feed a cat. 

Maybe they should have made Jack an Eagles fan...would have worked better from a geography standpoint (but not from a storyline perspective)!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tosadeac said:

As someone else said, Pittsburgh is where he went. 

My question is are the writers just playing fast and loose with geography? I assumed William always lived in the same apartment from when he had Randall until Randall came back to find him but I also believed that was In Pittsburgh. 

In the Thanksgiving episode Randall "runs" back to William's apartment to get his music and there are several times that William went back to his apartment to "feed his cat." We clearly see from his license plate in the most recent episode that Randall lives in NJ (likely right outside NYC) and Randall even says seeing his dad's ashes would be a half day out of the way on the way to Memphis (as Pittsburgh would be).  

Anyway, Pittsburgh and NJ are at least 5hrs apart. That would be a tough trip to make for a quick run to get some tapes or to feed a cat. 

Maybe they should have made Jack an Eagles fan...would have worked better from a geography standpoint (but not from a storyline perspective)!

I believe William said he was in Philadelphia - or someone said that - because they said his apartment and cat were there.

They said William would take the whole day to go to the apartment - 2 hours each way, from what I remember.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

I believe William said he was in Philadelphia - or someone said that - because they said his apartment and cat were there.

They said William would take the whole day to go to the apartment - 2 hours each way, from what I remember.

Yes, William said Philadelphia. The email that the PI sent to Randall in the first episode also gave a Philadelphia address.

2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Is it possible that William left Pittsburgh for Philadelphia after Rebecca told him that she would not allow him to see Randall?  

I think that was a factor, and I can also see him wanting a fresh start after getting sober, to get away from the environment that got him into drugs. He also told Randall that he worked as a musician after getting sober, and I'm sure there were more opportunities for that in Philly than in Pittsburgh.

• Love 1

2 hour bus trip (one-way) --  in my city (Cincinnati) if you're trying to get between 2 points that aren't on the same bus line it could take 2 hours. I used to work for a nonprofit that would help young mothers access college. It would take our clients two hours to get from our office to the community college by bus because they'd have to wait for connections/transfers.  It was 10 minutes by car!!!  (But it was strictly forbidden that we allow them in our personal vehicles). 

William could be in the same city. 

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yes, William said Philadelphia. The email that the PI sent to Randall in the first episode also gave a Philadelphia address.

I think that was a factor, and I can also see him wanting a fresh start after getting sober, to get away from the environment that got him into drugs. He also told Randall that he worked as a musician after getting sober, and I'm sure there were more opportunities for that in Philly than in Pittsburgh.

Though William's mom's apartment looked a bit like his own.  But that could just be a "generic run down apartment" thing.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, PRgal said:

Though William's mom's apartment looked a bit like his own.  But that could just be a "generic run down apartment" thing.

The apartment Rebecca visits William in, and the one Randall tracks down William in are different apartments. I re-watched the pilot last night and the layout is quite different. They must have forced the rent controlled residents to buy the property or move out (a plot from Sex and the City that I assume must actually happen in real life). 

Edited by BoogieBurns
  • Love 2

I don't know about other parts of North America, but it seems that around here, people my age (i.e. Big Three's age) who can afford luxury vehicles prefer, say, a BMW or Audi over Mercedes.  A Mercedes is what people over, say, 45 or even 50 drive.   But could just be Toronto. 

On 2017-02-24 at 2:59 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

Plenty of 30-somethings with Mercedes here.  Though I think Teslas are the new 'hot luxury car' here.  I suspect Mercedes paid for the product placement.  The Johnsons on Black-ish both drive ultra-high-end Mercedes, too.  

True, but they could have provided a more 30-something with a family-appropriate model.  Maybe a GLC...

Not sure if this belongs here, but when Toby was having his dangerous heart surgery, where was his family?  The only person who was ever in his hospital room was Kate.  Seems like Toby's parents, or someone related to him, would've been there as well.  To be honest, I didn't pay close enough attention to geography to know the location of Toby's hospital (I know he traveled to see Kate at Randall's house).  Even so, wouldn't his family have made the trip to be with him?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Not sure if this belongs here, but when Toby was having his dangerous heart surgery, where was his family?  The only person who was ever in his hospital room was Kate.  Seems like Toby's parents, or someone related to him, would've been there as well.  To be honest, I didn't pay close enough attention to geography to know the location of Toby's hospital (I know he traveled to see Kate at Randall's house).  Even so, wouldn't his family have made the trip to be with him?

He traveled from LA to NJ and then the surgery was sudden, I think.   

Good point. He never mentions even speaking to a parent or a sibling.  Maybe Toby is an orphan and has no one, which is why his relationship with Kate is so important to him. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

Good point. He never mentions even speaking to a parent or a sibling.  Maybe Toby is an orphan and has no one, which is why his relationship with Kate is so important to him. 

Didn't he mention a brother at some point recently?  Or am I just dreaming that....

• Love 1
2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Didn't he mention a brother at some point recently?  Or am I just dreaming that....

I think in the getting-to-know-you chat with Kate he talked about feeling suicidal after his father died, or it could have been his brother. 

I can't remember what thread it was where I talked about how Parenthood, as another big ensemble family show, really eliminated almost all of the in-laws you would expect to see. Just too unwieldy for a 43 minute show, I think. 

Not quite minutiae, but didn't want to hijack an episode thread with it. Am I the only one who was hoping that William would give Randall some clue about his biological mother and where to find her, before he died? I realize he may not know where, but at least her name and maybe history.  It seems like that died with him, and it would have been an interesting track to follow later.

31 minutes ago, Sdh1545 said:

Not quite minutiae, but didn't want to hijack an episode thread with it. Am I the only one who was hoping that William would give Randall some clue about his biological mother and where to find her, before he died? I realize he may not know where, but at least her name and maybe history.  It seems like that died with him, and it would have been an interesting track to follow later.

There was a scene in an early episode where Randall asks William about his mother, they're sitting on a bed I think, and we see him looking at William with rapt attention while William talks, but we don't hear any of the dialogue.  So he knows some things about his mother, we just don't know what yet.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

She's dead. Do you mean where to find her grave or her potential relatives?

How do we know she's dead? I had assumed she just took off and left him and the baby. 

11 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

There was a scene in an early episode where Randall asks William about his mother, they're sitting on a bed I think, and we see him looking at William with rapt attention while William talks, but we don't hear any of the dialogue.  So he knows some things about his mother, we just don't know what yet.

Thanks, I had forgotten that. 

11 minutes ago, ShadowFacts said:

1 minute ago, Sdh1545 said:

How do we know she's dead? I had assumed she just took off and left him and the baby. 

I believe in the first episode Randall indicates that the PI found his father and that his mother died in childbirth. I don't think anything presented in later episodes suggested we were meant to take that at anything but face value.

• Love 6
46 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I believe in the first episode Randall indicates that the PI found his father and that his mother died in childbirth. I don't think anything presented in later episodes suggested we were meant to take that at anything but face value.

46 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Thanks. Seeing that I binge-watched maybe the first 9 episodes in 3 days, I'm sure I missed absorbing a few things :)

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

He traveled from LA to NJ and then the surgery was sudden, I think.   

That just makes me wonder where Toby had his surgery. They seem to indicate NYC - maybe he was brought to an ER in NJ, then a hospital in NYC for the surgery? Since, uh, taking an ambulance across the bridge (or through the tunnel) when someone has had a heart attack would just be a stupid idea.

The hospital room Toby was in reminded me of the inpatient rooms at St. Barnabas in Short Hills/Livingston/West Orange/that general area.

I was in one of their rooms for 10 days straight in 2007.

Though that WAS just "generic TV hospital room" :P

• Love 1
On 2/26/2017 at 0:59 PM, PRgal said:

True, but they could have provided a more 30-something with a family-appropriate model.  Maybe a GLC...

I assume Beth also has a car, and that it is more "family friendly".  When our kids were younger I drove the hatchback that made it easy to load the hockey bags and sticks and my husband drove a sedan.  

• Love 2

What happened to Randall during those five days in the hospital? And even before that, did Kevin call an ambulance for him, or did he simply drive Randall's car to the hospital? When did someone call Beth? And wasn't she still in Washington caring for her injured mother? Who took care of William and the girls till she got back? 

I don't need a whole episode called Randall, Interrupted about his time in the hospital and how it affected his family. But I assume he's now on medication (anti-anxiety meds, anti-depressive meds?), and I hope we learn in the future how his home life and work life will change. 

Lastly, I know the Memphis trip was for William, but they never discussed Randall's mental health even once during the entire trip.  And did Randall ever experience any fear or anxiety during their travels? It was implied that being on the open road with no maps was all Randall needed to solve his problems. But I'd like to know more. 

• Love 4

I have some of the same questions as @topanga.  I agree that perhaps the show doesn't have time to show some of the exposition necessary to tie up loose ends, but what it creates instead is the messiness of having storylines come to an abrupt halt with no discussion on how things are getting resolved.  It makes it difficult to get invested because we seem to be missing quite a bit of behind-the-scenes explanations,

I personally can't buy the fact that Randall has an anxiety attack, spends two days in the hospital, is put on meds and suddenly a week later, he is good to go on a trip with his dying father.  His personality turn-around was so abrupt to me, and the fact that he was hospitalized was glossed over.  So it seems that for a short time Beth was caring for two daughters, her gravely ill father-in-law, and her husband was in the hospital.  And yet, she gets to be cute and quippy in the doctor's office?  Shouldn't she be a stressed-out bundle of nerves herself?

• Love 2

The hospital probably put Randall on an IV drip of handwavium, a compound  used universally throughout television dramas and comedies to solve a myriad of problems logical, emotional, and medical. Ask your doctor about handwavium, available in pills, capsules, and liquid form to be mixed with bourbon.  :)

• Love 18
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

And yet, she gets to be cute and quippy in the doctor's office?  Shouldn't she be a stressed-out bundle of nerves herself?

This is just me, but the more stressful things are, the cuter I get. I had a severe pneumonia/flu type hybrid a couple weeks back, my discharge papers said Feb 14 (I forgot what day it was) and I told the doctor, between nasty coughs, that meant I was his Valentine. Some people use humor to cut through stress.

They have always shown Beth to be funny when she is stressed out. Remember the episode where her period was late and Randall asked for some Altoids? She couldn't help but make a comment to crack the tension. Or when Randall found out William was bi, and Beth said something about getting in the bathtub. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

They have always shown Beth to be funny when she is stressed out. Remember the episode where her period was late and Randall asked for some Altoids? She couldn't help but make a comment to crack the tension. Or when Randall found out William was bi, and Beth said something about getting in the bathtub. 

Nope. I don't remember either of those scenes. But I believe you that they happened, and I'm sure Beth was cute and quippy. 

10 hours ago, topanga said:

What happened to Randall during those five days in the hospital? And even before that, did Kevin call an ambulance for him, or did he simply drive Randall's car to the hospital? When did someone call Beth? And wasn't she still in Washington caring for her injured mother? Who took care of William and the girls till she got back? 

I am pretty certain that Kevin just took him home, William has a line about how he was worried when Kevin brought him home. 

Kate, Toby, Miguel and Rebecca were all at the play so I imagine between the four of them the could hold down the fort until Beth got home.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am pretty certain that Kevin just took him home, William has a line about how he was worried when Kevin brought him home. 

Kate, Toby, Miguel and Rebecca were all at the play so I imagine between the four of them the could hold down the fort until Beth got home.

I suppose Kate or Rebecca would have stayed with the girls and William until Beth got home, along with a regular sitter they might use.  

29 minutes ago, PRgal said:

I suppose Kate or Rebecca would have stayed with the girls and William until Beth got home, along with a regular sitter they might use.  

Yes, except for Kevin none of them seem to currently have employment obligations.  It would actually be nice to see some aunt/niece or grandmother/granddaughter interactions.  That's been missing so far.  Showing Kate with someone other than Toby might help her character's lack of dimension.  Same with Rebecca, aside from a little Randall and William drama, we mostly see her with Jack and kids in flashback.  It's not enough to get me to care about her. 

21 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The hospital probably put Randall on an IV drip of handwavium, a compound  used universally throughout television dramas and comedies to solve a myriad of problems logical, emotional, and medical. Ask your doctor about handwavium, available in pills, capsules, and liquid form to be mixed with bourbon.  :)

I want some, any format will do.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think Beth was all that cute and quippy.  I thought she was kind of over-the-top angry.  She even said at the end of her tirade, "I got a little hot."  Randall replied something like, "You always get a little hot."  And Beth replied something quippy then about, "Don't be cute."  

I mentioned this in the other thread, but Randall wasn't in the hospital 5 days.  He'd been released for 5 days.  So he was in a day or two.  

I know people with panic attacks and they mostly tend to be very episodic and self-contained.  Kind of like Hannah's on Survivor last season.  Once the person calms down, they're fine.  I know Randall's was shown to build over days or weeks, though.  But I would think with a week of treatment, he'd be ok for about anything.  Anxiety is something you usually just have to learn to live with.  You might take meds but mostly you need to learn cognitive behavioral techniques to control it.  Removing yourself from all stressors for long periods isn't going to do much to teach you better coping skills.  Not that I think he should've been back in the office the next day or anything.  

Long term meds wouldn't kick in within a week, but he probably had some stuff in case he needed it.

Seeing the outside of Randall's house makes me wonder all over again how Randall's house only has three bedrooms. The only way it makes sense would be that Beth and Randall both have offices that they were unwilling to convert into a bedroom for William. Or they have a really massive great room. Maybe Beth has a room for making decoupage. The kitchen DOES look massive. Maybe there was once a bedroom there in the Baby Boomer version of the house and it got blown out for the kitchen. I'm guessing the Colonial was built during the 1950's suburbia boom in New Jersey and once had more rooms, but as open space concept came in, those rooms went away. Especially since it seems like Beth and Randall don't want a third kid- it would make sense that they converted any 4th/5th bedroom into something else since the girls were covered by the two rooms.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Seeing the outside of Randall's house makes me wonder all over again how Randall's house only has three bedrooms. The only way it makes sense would be that Beth and Randall both have offices that they were unwilling to convert into a bedroom for William. Or they have a really massive great room. Maybe Beth has a room for making decoupage. The kitchen DOES look massive. Maybe there was once a bedroom there in the Baby Boomer version of the house and it got blown out for the kitchen. I'm guessing the Colonial was built during the 1950's suburbia boom in New Jersey and once had more rooms, but as open space concept came in, those rooms went away. Especially since it seems like Beth and Randall don't want a third kid- it would make sense that they converted any 4th/5th bedroom into something else since the girls were covered by the two rooms.

They have the basement, which is probably considered another bedroom - but they wouldn't want to have a young kid or a frail father in there. I'm guessing one of them has an office.

Beth definitely has an office because she's referred to it - that would be bedroom #4. And aside from the huge kitchen the house has a formal living room, den, and sun room. I don't think that's entirely implausible - some "fancy" homes are designed with fewer bedrooms in favor of larger common spaces (and to discourage overnight guests, though there are always people like Kevin who impose themselves anyway).

• Love 6
5 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Beth definitely has an office because she's referred to it - that would be bedroom #4. And aside from the huge kitchen the house has a formal living room, den, and sun room. I don't think that's entirely implausible - some "fancy" homes are designed with fewer bedrooms in favor of larger common spaces (and to discourage overnight guests, though there are always people like Kevin who impose themselves anyway).

I don't really understand the concept of a living room in modern houses - especially homes with family rooms on the main floor.  My parents RARELY used it when I was little (guests were escorted to the kitchen or basement) and we pretty much NEVER use it now (the kitchen is our cocktail spot).  The dining room, also rarely used, was used much more.  And the dining room, even for those of us with eat-in kitchens and are usually very casual, is needed to show off the "good" china anyway :)  The living room is for...the art and "good" furniture?  I know Randall's kids are well-behaved and would (probably) NEVER draw on the "good" couch, but you don't know that when kids are born.  And we never saw the kids as very young children. 

Randall's job, their finances, and his ability to suddenly quit:

1. I have a hard time believing that a 36 year old would be a founding partner in a firm. He's worked there for 10 years, so he started this firm at 26? 
2. Let's just go with the above. I would assume he needs to be bought out. Or maybe he can take a Don Draper-esque leave of absence? 
3. I would also assume he has enough money in investments that he can live off of that for quite a while. They are not living paycheck to paycheck. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Randall's job, their finances, and his ability to suddenly quit:

1. I have a hard time believing that a 36 year old would be a founding partner in a firm. He's worked there for 10 years, so he started this firm at 26? 
2. Let's just go with the above. I would assume he needs to be bought out. Or maybe he can take a Don Draper-esque leave of absence? 
3. I would also assume he has enough money in investments that he can live off of that for quite a while. They are not living paycheck to paycheck. 

I don't think it's ALL THAT unusual to be part of a hedge fund start-up in one's mid 20s - at least not back in the mid-2000s.  

• Love 1

Randall's age is actually pretty good in terms of avoiding the pratfalls of the U.S. economy- he finished college around 2002/2003. That means he missed the tech crash (I'm not sure how much that would have mattered to him), and it was long before the economic crash of 2007-2008. The economy of Bush II-era America wasn't bad until the end, unless you were someone in a job that required gas. He had a good five years to set himself up, and it looks like he avoided banking or real estate. Since he's involved with futures it seemed like he could have ridden the wave of corn-based ethanol that ramped up around the time the economy crashed.

Funny how age can effect lifetime finances. There's an article I read once that estimate that people born in 1938 were the luckiest people born in terms of economic timing because they had less job competition (birth rates were low) and they inherited the booming 1950's economy.

Just think- if Randall had been born in the mid/late 1980's instead of the early 80's, he would have inherited the world's worst economy since the Great Depression upon graduation! I think most of my peers wound up in shitty jobs post-grad except nurses or elementary school teachers. (Note I said elementary school. Would-be high school teachers got screwed, too.)

It looks like they're going to need to make some room for a baby if they go through with adopting a 3rd child.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
24 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

Randall's age is actually pretty good in terms of avoiding the pratfalls of the U.S. economy- he finished college around 2002/2003. That means he missed the tech crash (I'm not sure how much that would have mattered to him), and it was long before the economic crash of 2007-2008. The economy of Bush II-era America wasn't bad until the end, unless you were someone in a job that required gas. He had a good five years to set himself up, and it looks like he avoided banking or real estate. Since he's involved with futures it seemed like he could have ridden the wave of corn-based ethanol that ramped up around the time the economy crashed.

Funny how age can effect lifetime finances. There's an article I read once that estimate that people born in 1938 were the luckiest people born in terms of economic timing because they had less job competition (birth rates were low) and they inherited the booming 1950's economy.

Just think- if Randall had been born in the mid/late 1980's instead of the early 80's, he would have inherited the world's worst economy since the Great Depression upon graduation! I think most of my peers wound up in shitty jobs post-grad except nurses or elementary school teachers. (Note I said elementary school. Would-be high school teachers got screwed, too.)

It looks like they're going to need to make some room for a baby if they go through with adopting a 3rd child.

I have a BA in Elementary & Special Education.

Here in NJ, the big retirement wave of teachers was 2010-2012, due to... changes implemented by our rotund governor.

• Love 1

Your username suggests we may be birth year compatriots. It's a very interesting point indeed; making the Big Three mid-30s really helped gloss over some financial/employment issues without presenting too impractically rosy a view -- working within the TV-ready premise of two of three siblings in incredibly lucrative fields. Similarly, I think they touched on the '70s economic downturn with Jack tonight without hammering it terribly hard.

I only really started watching in the later part of the season, followed along more in discussions before that, but had they addressed what Rebecca did before tonight -- did she go to school? She should've been, what, 22 in the flashbacks if Jack was 28? She's not the wrong era at all to have attended either an academic institution or vocational school, but her discussion with her friends tonight seemed to suggest her only alternative to performing was settling down with a rich dude. Of course, it's probably just to paint a picture of her social circle, because this was kind of "heart of the second-wave feminist movement" days here...

• Love 2

They've never stated specifically if Rebecca ever went to school. I do think she did- they've suggested more than once that Rebecca comes from affluent background, and I'm guessing they sent her to a fancy private school where she got a degree in music or something. They probably didn't care about her getting a "real" major because they sent her to school with the intention that she'd meet young, upwardly mobile guys there to marry.

Your username suggests we may be birth year compatriots. It's a very interesting point indeed; making the Big Three mid-30s really helped gloss over some financial/employment issues without presenting too impractically rosy a view -- working within the TV-ready premise of two of three siblings in incredibly lucrative fields. Similarly, I think they touched on the '70s economic downturn with Jack tonight without hammering it terribly hard.

Well, my birthday's late enough in the year that it's like I was born in 1986, but not quite. But yeah, I think anyone in our age group knows the horror stories well. Late 20's/Early 30's is not settled adulthood at all for a good portion of my peers. (Again, the ones who do seem settled are the ones who are nurses or elementary school teachers.) I'm still looking for a real job (stuck in retail hell)...one friend I went to grad school with finally got a real job 4 years after graduation.

My sisters (born from 1977 to 1982) just don't quite get it, I don't think. Not to say they didn't have financial problems when the Great Recession hit, but I don't think it hit them in the same kind of "permanent" way it did to our peers. It really was a bullseye for people born from 1985-ish to 1990, I think.

It feels realistic that the Big 3 don't really have the Great Recession as a big thing for them. And yeah, they did do a good job of showing the 1970's economic malaise without getting too heavy-handed about it.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Last night Rebecca said, "are you kidding me, right now?"   

That phrasing is current and not used during that time period.  

Was that the phrase she repeated over and over (until I laughed)?

Just now, laurakaye said:

Was that the phrase she repeated over and over (until I laughed)?

I remember hearing it only once.  Now I want to know what you were laughing at!

• Love 1