Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

I've always been a Nick fan, but watching last night, all I could think was that I no longer find Nick attractive or interesting or even date-worthy. Maybe seeing him with the vile Andi next week will make him look better. Meanwhile, I was all about Raven's HT, although I wondered how often the locals go play in the rice fields. Not often, I'm guessing. How do you say, "water moccasin"?

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

When your first answer to Vanessa's mother about what made you want to get to know her better you say "When she got out of the limo" ????? What kind of idiot are you?

It was interesting that he modified it when her father asked the same questions. He started to say it then stopped himself and backpeddled saying it wasn't about looks but about an instant connection he felt with her. Whatever one things of Nick, at least he tries to learn from his mistakes. lol

• Love 1

I have friends who moved from Canada, and even before they got US citizenship, they didn't go back to Canada every 3 months.  They usually went once a year to visit family.  I think it is all about a work permit or something.  Now, I'm going to have to look it up, dammit.  But being able to have dual citizenship is nice.  

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, dleighg said:

When your first answer to Vanessa's mother about what made you want to get to know her better you say "When she got out of the limo" ????? What kind of idiot are you?

Ha!  He was very nervous and floundering.  He never did recover, it was her dad who helped him through their chat by finally giving him his damn blessing to end the torture!  One reason Nick could not come up with much is the fact he is not in love with Vanessa.  He hopes to be but he had nothing to draw from.  "She really set me straight when she called me out on cavorting with Corinne in a bounce house" would not fly with dad. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Raven does not know how to read a room.  Nick is not a mudding type of guy; did you talk to him at all?  I am not going to blame production for everything, Rachael knew how to handle that 4 wheeler!  

He seemed to be enjoying himself alright to me. He actually pulled way ahead of her hence her comment, "I can't believe he's ahead of me". For someone who's not the mudding type he seemed to be doing just fine with it.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Stinamaia said:

I have friends who moved from Canada, and even before they got US citizenship, they didn't go back to Canada every 3 months.  They usually went once a year to visit family.  I think it is all about a work permit or something.  Now, I'm going to have to look it up, dammit.  But being able to have dual citizenship is nice.  

I meant go back for 3 months a year, not every 3 months. 

Edited by wings707

I was cheering Daddy Grimaldi when he was grilling Nick about asking other dads for their blessing. And whatever he will do after the show. So I was kind of disappointed that he gave in and gave his blessing.

Rachel's dad for the win!

I don't see any chemistry between Raven and Nick. On paper, they look good together, but on the show they just seem...asexual. That playing in the mud thing would have been sexy as hell with Vanessa. Or even with Andi. I don't see that raw and sensual thing that Nick wants when he's with Raven. I see it with Vanessa and Rachel, and heck, even with Corinne. Maybe he's taken Raven this far because she's a safe choice, in the sense that it wouldn't distract him towards the end with final girl. I see him with more fire with the girls he has eliminated.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, wings707 said:

I meant go back for 3 months a year, not every 3 months. 

I see what you meant. They didn't do that either. I looked it up and got the lowdown from an immigration lawyer's article. Obviously my friends had a residency visa because they were able to apply for citizenship.  This is from the article as it pertains to visitors

In actual fact, the rule is that on any particular visit, a Canadian can stay in the United States for no longer than six months. However, a Canadian may very well be able to stay in the U.S. for longer than six months cumulative time in any given calendar year, provided they are not trying to live there permanently.

Example: A Canadian goes to the U.S. for six months, then leaves. They return a month later and stay another six months, then leave. They come back a third time a month later and try to enter the U.S. Denied. Why? Because the border official figures they're living there permanently and they don't have the proper visa to allow it.

if she marries Nick, Vanessa won't have a problem living in the US. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Brooklyn.

In her opening package it looked like the company is being run out of a home office. Plus, her parents and "nanny" spoil her rotten, she doesn't have to lift a finger around the house, and she apparently has free reign over Daddy's credit card. What's not to like?

I was wondering where in Brooklyn, hotel or rental?

What's not to like is when you are in your 20's you like your independence, a private place to socialize with friends and boyfriends. There's no privacy in a condo with a family of four and live in help. She can take the credit card with her. 

10 minutes ago, Stinamaia said:

I see what you meant. They didn't do that either. I looked it up and got the lowdown from an immigration lawyer's article. Obviously my friends had a residency visa because they were able to apply for citizenship.  This is from the article as it pertains to visitors

if she marries Nick, Vanessa won't have a problem living in the US. 

If

• Love 1

Forget the Canadians, ABC needs to liven up this show and get a Bahamian or two on this show.   Not from Bimini though - it's too Americanized.  I cannot imagine the hilarity that would ensue from a home town visit to my very small home town on Grand Bahama.  Despite what's shown on tv, there are many caucasian and mixed Bahamians.

Edited by uoflfan
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, bosawks said:

I feel like this episode could've be titled, "Get a job, son!"

The dads seemed underwhelmed to say the least....

Most fathers first thoughts would be -"how could he possibly support a family?" He is hardly a great catch. 

• Love 6

I'm still waiting for the hometown visit parent who says, flatly, "my daughter is grown, I'm not going to offer my blessing as one is not needed, also, I don't know you".

So, I believe if I'm remembering my Reality Steve correctly, at this point in the filming it is past November 8 (but maybe not by much). Watching Rachel's family discussing 'this climate' and racism, I yearned for something that would anchor this episode in real-life time and events, and for the election to be concretely (if briefly) discussed. Again, spoilery discussion has rumored that filming went on through the election, and the women were allowed to know what was going on. Now, I don't think Bachelor Nation should intersect with politics all that much, because they specialize in dead-eyed rambling platitudes and clumsy Disney tie-ins, not in-depth meditations on increasingly mired race relations in our country. However, they were already going there, and Rachel and her family seem like the most capable hands for the show to rest these specific topics in. They got really close in a couple instances, but for whatever reason didn't get all the way there (and I'm guessing some of it was discussed, and left on the cutting room floor). What was said was surprisingly frank and well-handled, for this show, but I wanted more.

• Love 6

I'm telling you, I want a spin-off serious with them. Something like, "Life with Corrine" or something!

If ABC Family (now Freeform) can give those gawdawful blonde twins from LasVegas a spin off show then Life With Corrine and Her Nanny should be a no-brainer. There's no way it would be as terrible as Ben and Lauren: (Un) Happily Ever After (Un was inserted by me, and was my conclusion as to what the show should have been called after actually sitting through those episodes.) 

Corinne was a delight and her dad is a perfect tv character.

• Love 8

Things I learned about Corinne in this episode: 

- cannot count four roses 

- cannot wink; blinks both eyes hard like a five-year-old when she tries it

On the other hand, the way she said "shall I?" and dramatically opened the car door for Nick was honestly charming and cute. So much overproduced nonsense, so few genuine moments this season.  I'm finding it exhausting at this point. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, thejuicer said:

Vanessa: I thought she was exploiting her special needs students.  It did not sit well with me.  Also she is the queen of saying stupid shit: "If you think I'm close to my students, my relationship with my family is on a whole other level". Um no shit, let's hope so. Her entire family is dramatic and humorless like her.  I did enjoy her father though. 

Lol, that caught my ear too. As for her students, I thought the set up was weird too. Going to meet them, sure, but giving them a project to do that revolved around your bikini pics? Very odd. Also, there was a classic moment where one of her students is hugging her and telling her he loves her and she distractedly pats his cheek like "yeah, yeah, yeah" while gazing at a photograph of herself. 

Loved Nick's face when Corinne's dad said that he'd talked with his daughter and she'd be okay being the primary breadwinner if this bachelor thing didn't pay off.

And when he replied that he hopes to be the breadwinner as well, I was hoping the dad would follow-up and ask him what his plans are in the long term for that. Is he going back to sales? Is he going to get a media gig?

That was super hilarious because I don't think her dad even realized that might be an insult, he just kinda took it as fact that Nick wouldn't be able to support Corinne. Which, to be fair, would probably be true of pretty much anyone if that's the way she spends money. 

I was shocked at how much more I liked Corinne around her family. The whole "this is my spoiled princess life" shopping trip rubbed me a bit wrong, but her family seems genuinely nice and fun and she is likable around them. I actually enjoyed them the most of any of the families (although Raven's dad was adorable). 

I did notice that they showed the sequence of private chats as Corinne/dad followed by Corinne/Raquel instead of Corinne/mom, they are determined to wring every last drop out of Raquel that they can. 

I was cheering Daddy Grimaldi when he was grilling Nick about asking other dads for their blessing. And whatever he will do after the show. So I was kind of disappointed that he gave in and gave his blessing.

I'm just glad Vanessa asked the follow-up question about whether or not the other fathers had been asked, because it didn't seem like her father was going to volunteer that bit of (important, IMO) info. She clearly thought it had special meaning and I was shouting at the tv for him to tell her that it didn't.

I'm still waiting for the hometown visit parent who says, flatly, "my daughter is grown, I'm not going to offer my blessing as one is not needed, also, I don't know you". 

Lol. Obviously, it's a bullshit question all the way around, but asking them after a 20 minute meet and greet is especially silly.

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Lol. Obviously, it's a bullshit question all the way around, but asking them after a 20 minute meet and greet is especially silly.

Seriously. "Look, man, you don't know a damned thing about me other than that I was dating a bunch of other chicks while dating your daughter, so, if I decide to pick her at the end, and still not sure I'm gonna, but would it be okay with you if I marry her?" What father in their right mind is going to say yes to that without production holding their family dog at gunpoint just out side of the shot?

Edited by Mabinogia
  • Love 14
7 hours ago, scribe95 said:

And I honestly think Vanessa has known she was the leader since early on. Several of their interactions involved code words for "it's you but we have to film this show." I think that's why she was suddenly concerned about the other women. I think some other conversations have been happening that would lead her to believe she has this in the bag. 

I think in one of the earlier episodes, maybe the one after the first one-on-one date? At the cocktail party? She was bitching about all the attention the other girls were getting and he said something like "Be patient, this is all part of the process" or something like that. Looked her straight in the eye and anybody could see he was telling her "you're still the one but this is the game I have to play"

Which would explain why she's so entitled and bitchy to the other ladies. Knowing you're endgame, and hearing/seeing all these women gush and fall over themselves for "your boyfriend" has got to annoy the fire out of her. 

I personally think it was her from the first one-on-one date. Probably sooner than that. The way Nick acts and reacts with her is extremely telling.

• Love 4

I didn't even think about swamp snakes--ewww! All I was concerned with was the fact that she wore a white crop top to go mudding.

When Nick was talking to Raquel I was surprised they didn't use their trademark Bachelor jokey music theme. It was treated like a serious convo with her guardian.

Maybe it's editing, but I feel that each one of the women left represent one part of the perfect woman that Nick is looking for but I'm not sure if we've seen any of the women showcase all attributes. Corinne brings the fun, Raven brings the adventure, Rachel brings the intellect and Vanessa brings the love and compassion. 

So right on RHJunkie. I think the editing is really bad because I haven't seen a real love story out of any of them and I'm starting to think it doesn't work out for him. His safest bet is honestly Corrine.

So are they going to cram two rose ceremonies in next week or are we just done with that.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, Kbilly said:

I didn't even think about swamp snakes--ewww! All I was concerned with was the fact that she wore a white crop top to go mudding.

So right on RHJunkie. I think the editing is really bad because I haven't seen a real love story out of any of them and I'm starting to think it doesn't work out for him. His safest bet is honestly Corrine.

So are they going to cram two rose ceremonies in next week or are we just done with that.

I was watching Raven's part in the swamp with my hand in front of my eyes because I thought they were going to show a snake.  That frog was bad enough. 

I don't see any love stories either, but I don't think his safest bet is Corrine.  He's 37 and she's still living in her childhood bedroom.   They're both trying to be actors, so maybe, but still.  I hate her "poor man's Paris Hilton" shtick.  It's old and tired. 

• Love 2

I wish they would end these shows with the rose ceremony LIKE THEY USED TO. Structure is important in this show, otherwise we lose track of where we are in the "journey." Isn't there an online place we can start a petition? Or should we get together and protest somewhere?

I agree, just put the damn rose ceremonies at the end of the episode. It's not like this show's audience needs a cliffhanger to draw us back in every week!

• Love 7

What? No cheesy pasta from Raquel? Oh, well, here goes:

• I think if it were up to Vanessa's parents, she would've never gone on that show. However, have they even seen the show? Didn't they know what was going on? Perhaps Vanessa is still too good for Nick. In fact, three of the four women deserve better than Nick, and I can understand why Platinum Vagine's dad is as cynical as Vanessa's dad when it comes to Nick's future earnings.
  • I think the editors may have given away the final two when Nick asked Raven's and Vanessa's dads for their hands in marriage. He certainly didn't do this with Platinum Vagine's dad, and plus, he did not do it with Rachel's mom (even though her dad wasn't on the show).
  • It seemed like Nick felt comfortable among Rachel's family, particularly her brother-in-law. Also, what a megachurch she attends. I was waiting for Creflo Dollar or Joel Osteen to come up on stage and ask for some "donations". 
  • Raven is a better actress than most of these girls. I loved how she played it cool when her brother the cop came out of the car. I'm pretty sure if Rachel wasn't so popular, Raven would've been the next Bachelorette. Just turn down Bachelor in Paradise if they ask you, Raven.
  • Speaking of Southern girls, have Fleiss & Co. ran out of ideas? They did the ex-Bachelorette coming back to throw a monkey wrench into proceedings with the insufferable DeAhna coming back for Jason a few years back. Now it's Andi's turn? Like Jason, I think Nick will grow a brain and show her the door.
Edited by Nedsdag
Meant Platinum instead of Plastic.
  • Love 2

so random thoughts--I actually enjoyed Corinne more last night than at any other time--however I was surprised that as wealthy as the family" supposedly" is, that they dont live in some mansion--I almost wonder if they rented that amazing apartment with the great view just for the hometown visit. And yes, her Mom had some pretty bad plastic surgery.

I was actually caught up in the fantasy and Vanessas family did make me think--wow, V would have to leave that teaching job and do what? How horrible for her students, and also it made me wonder who subbed for her in her absence--that had to be tough.

I liked the button down white shirt and the hat on Nick--was hoping he chose that outfit:)

I love rachel and think she is just gorgeous!

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

-I actually enjoyed Corinne more last night than at any other time--however I was surprised that as wealthy as the family" supposedly" is, that they dont live in some mansion--I almost wonder if they rented that amazing apartment with the great view just for the hometown visit. And yes, her Mom had some pretty bad plastic surge

That is not an apartment.  It is a condo in a high rise on Collins Ave in Miami Beach and likely cost millions. 

1 hour ago, Nedsdag said:

I'm pretty sure if Rachel wasn't so popular, Raven would've been the next Bachelorette. Just turn down Bachelor in Paradise if they ask you, Raven.

Rachael was cast as the next Bachette before Nick was even chosen.  Raven would never have been a bachette.  Though she escaped assault and battery charges because her ex did not file, the fact remains she beat him with a stilletto to the head.  That is not what they look for.  LOL! 

1 hour ago, Nedsdag said:

Now it's Andi's turn? Like Jason, I think Nick will grow a brain and show her the door.

She is just there to give him advice.  No need to show her out.  It will be a non event. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, wings707 said:

Kaitlin and Shaun have worked it out, yes.  It takes a strong love and big commitment.  The sentiment is that it is something working against them rather than for them.  

Nick and Vanessa don't seem to have 1/10th what Kaitlyn and Shawn had at this point. Shawn wasn't derailed even by Kaitlyn boning his rival before fantasy suite night. Meanwhile, Vanessa loses faith when she loses a volleyball game.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, huahaha said:

Nick and Vanessa don't seem to have 1/10th what Kaitlyn and Shawn had at this point. Shawn wasn't derailed even by Kaitlyn boning his rival before fantasy suite night. Meanwhile, Vanessa loses faith when she loses a volleyball game.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, huahaha said:

Wow, good point!!!!

I think by this time Kaitlyn had had sex with Ben, Nick, and Shaun pre-FS. And Shaun didn't have a problem with it. 

That's very telling for Nick and Vanessa's "Happily Ever After."

She won't be able to get through viewing the show. Man, the next 3 months are gonna be interesting. How much you wanna bet that should we be right and he's chosen Vanessa, her cute little butt is still in Canada with no move date in sight?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

It is only through silly shows like this that a 50 something woman like me can learn new phrases. Like "white on rice."

Is 'white on rice' a new phrase? I thought it was an old phrase and I was surprised Corinne even used it.

3 hours ago, alannaofdoom said:

Things I learned about Corinne in this episode ... cannot wink; blinks both eyes hard like a five-year-old when she tries it

I can't wink either lol. Maybe that's part of why I find Corinne so endearing.

3 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

She won't be able to get through viewing the show. 

Last night all I could think was that instead of watching this season I'd rather be watching Vanessa watch this season. I bet she has some epic meltdowns every week! 

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 8

All I know is that I was really looking forward to this season, because I actually found Nick to be an intriguing choice as the lead. And I've been disappointed in every aspect except Corinne. I find her hilarious and endearing. I really don't think she is the "villain" this season, despite how editing made it seem. I think that, much like America, the women were put off by how spoiled and entitled Corinne is at first, but saw that she really does mean well and is a good person and warmed to her. I think with Vanessa, the women along the way started disliking her and the producers have to give her a positive edit and leave drama that involves her out because Nick chose her at the end. They have the villain in Corinne and didn't need to involve the actual dislike of Vanessa into the equation.

• Love 5

Apart from Corinne's family, that was the most boring, dull, and depressing Hometown Visits episode of the entire Bachelor franchise that I've ever seen.

I've always found Corinne endearing, so I am glad to see others finally coming around to noticing some of her good qualities. She is warm and funny and gives good sound bites, knows how to work the camera, and even seems to genuinely like Nick... (Is that his name? hahaha. Honestly couldn't remember for a moment. He is a pipe and slippers snoozefest.) It would be nice if he picked her in the end, but I expect he will pick the remarkably cold teacher.

Boy, apart from totally inappropriate to have her students pasting in bikini shots of their teacher kissing and cuddling random man, she just seemed really offhanded and cut off from them. I think in her head she's already left them for her life of magic with whatsisname. Vanessa looks very pretty in her subtle makeup.  That is her good quality, in my view. That is all!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, violet and green said:

Boy, apart from totally inappropriate to have her students pasting in bikini shots of their teacher kissing and cuddling random man, she just seemed really offhanded and cut off from them.

and she asking "do you know who this is?" "He's your boyfriend."

Well I never called anyone my boyfriend unless we were, you know, "going steady."

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Last night all I could think was that instead of watching this season I'd rather be watching Vanessa watch this season. I bet she has some epic meltdowns every week! 

Or, if she's his F1, she wisely like many before, selectively chooses what she watches. Chris, who is married to Desiree said he only watched his and Desiree's scenes and that was most definitely a good thing for that season, what with the whole Desiree and Brooks mess. Also, I know they didn't last, but I remember Jef saying the same about only really watching his and Emily's scenes or at least none of her other 1 on 1's.

That's just smart in my opinion. Like why would the F1 willingly watch the lead's 1 on 1 with the other contestants - it really has nothing to do with them and their relationship. And if something major happened, like Ben telling JoJo he loved her too, no worries, they'll hear all about it when it's splashed all over US Weekly and social media.

And that's not even counting the editing job the producers do that sometimes leaves a lot on the cutting room floor and makes other things far more dramatic or salacious than they really were. 

I think by this time Kaitlyn had had sex with Ben, Nick, and Shaun pre-FS. And Shaun didn't have a problem with it. 

Uh are we remembering the same season? Yes Shawn got past the pre-FS sex with Kaitlyn and Nick and stuck around but this is the guy who refused to say Nick's name the whole season in some petty beating his chest crap, kept crying and whining repeatedly and had to be talked down repeatedly by Kaitlyn and his handler. How many times did Shawn go to Kaitlyn's room boo-hooing until she had to reassure him? Hell as much as she loved him, Kaitlyn looked exhausted by Shawn by the end of the season.

I think in one of the earlier episodes, maybe the one after the first one-on-one date? At the cocktail party? She was bitching about all the attention the other girls were getting and he said something like "Be patient, this is all part of the process" or something like that. Looked her straight in the eye and anybody could see he was telling her "you're still the one but this is the game I have to play"

I don't remember this happening. When she confronted him about his behavior with Corinne at the pool party he asked her to be patient but said nothing about the process. I do think his words to her there sounded like a reminder that this was still a show they had to film but he never said anything about it being all part of the process. 

Well I never called anyone my boyfriend unless we were, you know, "going steady."

Well it was no worse than a pastor in a church introducing Rachel's "boyfriend" to the congregation, which was sweet and all, until you remember he still had three other "girlfriends".

It was interesting that he modified it when her father asked the same questions. He started to say it then stopped himself and backpeddled saying it wasn't about looks but about an instant connection he felt with her. Whatever one things of Nick, at least he tries to learn from his mistakes. lol

To be honest, as fine as I was with Vanessa's family's willingness to ask tough questions, I thought that was a moment where there was almost an impatience on their part and by that token a little unfair to Nick. I don't think for a minute Nick was going to say the only thing he loved about Vanessa was her looks because really if that was all Nick was concerned about or was so easily swayed by just that, Danielle L. and her store bought boobs would still be there.

However, as soon as he started with when she walked out of the limo, she blew him away, the mother impatiently went, "I'm not interested in the physical" and I think you could see him get flustered. Nick was definitely intimidated by Vanessa's family, especially her dad.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, sekay87 said:

All I know is that I was really looking forward to this season, because I actually found Nick to be an intriguing choice as the lead. And I've been disappointed in every aspect except Corinne. I find her hilarious and endearing. I really don't think she is the "villain" this season, despite how editing made it seem. I think that, much like America, the women were put off by how spoiled and entitled Corinne is at first, but saw that she really does mean well and is a good person and warmed to her. I think with Vanessa, the women along the way started disliking her and the producers have to give her a positive edit and leave drama that involves her out because Nick chose her at the end. They have the villain in Corinne and didn't need to involve the actual dislike of Vanessa into the equation.

This episode aside, I've found Corinne fairly grating, but figured that she was headed for the inevitable big fall of the "villain" so it seemed like the same old, same old and I assumed she'd be gone around final 6 or so. But now I'm genuinely confused about where that story is going. She's made it to hometowns and hers went quite well, so does she just leave in a regular rose ceremony (assuming they ever HAVE another rose ceremony) or does she actually make it to the end? 

They've made nearly the whole show about her, but I can't imagine 36-year-old Nick sincerely proposing to this 24-year-old who acts like she's 15, so all of the focus on her seems off. 

Ha! Between this and the way her family was freaking out about the possibility of her getting hurt by a romantic relationship, Vanessa seems a bit high maintenance in the emotional department. This was probably not the right show for her if that's the case. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, Tara Ariano said:

2017-02-21-bachelor-header.jpg

That doesn't look anything like Nick. Weird!

39 minutes ago, ljenkins782 said:

Vanessa seems a bit high maintenance in the emotional department.

That's been abundantly clear in, well, every single scene she's been in, but yea the hometown visit really showed it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, huahaha said:

Hahahaha! Yeah, at this point, you can fairly tell what the ending would be. With Brad, you can tell at that certain point it was Emily. With Ashley H., it's JP and no one else stood a chance. Kaitlyn was a good example too, even though she cavorted with others. Ben H. had Lauren in his sight at the end even though there was the "temptation" of Jojo.

You know how I could tell? Because by this point in the show's season, there was already a love story forming between the lead and the F1. With Ashley H., it was only JP whom she trusted with the whole Bentley debacle. With Brad, poor guy was so smitten and head over heels with Emily, he was the one doing the chasing, not the other way around.

Nick and Vanessa? If it's really them, I don't see that love story that should be forming at this point. I thought they had great chemistry during the plane date but it's been downhill from there. Nick seems to have more of a "story" with Rachel at this point. And we already know she's not winning this thing.

I dunno if that's the producers' fault, and Nick and Vanessa have really formed this deep connection that for some reason they just decided not to show in favor of others. Or maybe it's not their fault because there's really nothing to work with even behind the scenes.

Which doesn't give me a good vibe towards Nick and his F1 and their future together. Haha!

2 hours ago, violet and green said:

I've always found Corinne endearing, so I am glad to see others finally coming around to noticing some of her good qualities. She is warm and funny and gives good sound bites, knows how to work the camera, and even seems to genuinely like Nick... (Is that his name? hahaha. Honestly couldn't remember for a moment. He is a pipe and slippers snoozefest.) It would be nice if he picked her in the end, but I expect he will pick the remarkably cold teacher.

You know surprisingly, Corinne didn't turn out to be that vile villain each season seems required to have. Like Courtney, or JJ, or Michelle etc. Sure, she was annoying at the beginning with the sleeping and interrupting, but as the season progressed, she didn't set out to be a woman who's trying to be deliberately mean and spiteful towards the others. It was nice to see her genuinely freaking out about going home when Kristina was still in the picture. And how she was there to comfort her when Nick eliminated her. She has some fun and nice qualities about her, and she's sort of the person whom you just take the good with the bad. I can see why other women are still friends with her after the show even with her antics. I remember that no one wanted to come near Courtney at all when Ben's season ended.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 6

All the talk of the energy and emotion of helping Vanessa through another breakdown showed that she is emotionally draining and needy when she falls apart. She seems to expect everyone else to help put the pieces back together and her family are tired of the Humpty Dumpty act. Vanessa seems to lose her shit altogether when confronted with a breakup. None of the fam seemed too happy at the chance of going down a road that might lead back to that particular scenario... ever again.

Some people make life a joyless burden and it seemed we met once such group last night in Canada. I mean the compulsory dinner get togethers to me didn't seem to be done out of a natural 'we're such a happy close family' vibe but instead of a 'you all owe it to the family to be here' one.

• Love 13

I thought that was rude, having not only her family, but her extended family of grandparents and cousins, and then her best friends, all there to meet him. It didn't go down well for Luke when he had JoJo meet a heap of people, but that was in a backyard setting, so room to move around/escape. That just seemed claustrophobic and full of people wringing their hands over the prospect of rebuilding Vanessa if he let her/them down... Yikes.

Edited by violet and green
typo
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

You know surprisingly, Corinne didn't turn out to be that vile villain each season seems required to have. Like Courtney, or JJ, or Michelle etc. Sure, she was annoying at the beginning with the sleeping and interrupting, but as the season progressed, she didn't set out to be a woman who's trying to be deliberately mean and spiteful towards the others.

You know? I'm beginning to seriously consider the idea that the reason this season's editing has been so confusing is because the vile villain this season was the lead's choice. THey couldn't have that so they had to paint SOMEBODY as the big bad, and that someone was sweet, clueless, admittedly adorable little Corinne. And at first it worked. Now? We're stuck wondering why Nick even chose Vanessa. And the next words you say after that? "She's AWFUL"

So maybe this season, if they'd shown it correctly? Would've painted Nick's Choice in a really bad light so they chose to cut everything that showed her any way but either good or neutral.

Leaving THIS mess of a season.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Kaitlyn was Canadian.  What's the big deal?  There's a lot I don't like about Vanessa, but her being Canadian is not one of them.  Geez.  Kaitlyn and Shawn have really made it work so far so I don't think her being from Vancouver was this disastrous thing.

Kaitlyn also had another family home in Arizona where they did her hometown on Chris's season. Kaitlyn being a dancer/blogger could probably have no big obstacles in working. 

Vanessa wouldn't be able to just move to LA and start working as a special needs teacher. There'd be a lot of process. I think it may be more difficult for her.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Wandering Snark said:

All the talk of the energy and emotion of helping Vanessa through another breakdown showed that she is emotionally draining and needy when she falls apart. She seems to expect everyone else to help put the pieces back together and her family are tired of the Humpty Dumpty act. Vanessa seems to lose her shit altogether when confronted with a breakup. None of the fam seemed too happy at the chance of going down a road that might lead back to that particular scenario... ever again.

YMMV but I just saw people who really loved and were protective of their daughter/sister who had had her heart broken before and didn't want to see it happen again. Again, I didn't find Vanessa's family any different than Nick's own family on his HTD with Andi. Nick's mom was full on crying from concern and worry, his sister looked like she was trying to stare into Andi's soul and burn her with her eyes if she thought about hurting her brother, etc. The one thing that made Nick's HTD not intense at the time was adorable Bella. 

I thought that was rude, having not only her family, but her extended family of grandparents and cousins, and then her best friends, all there to meet him. It didn't go down well for Luke when he had JoJo meet a heap of people, but that was in a backyard setting, so room to move around/escape. That just seemed claustrophobic and full of people wringing their hands over the prospect of rebuilding Vanessa if he let her/them down... Yikes.

Nick had all but one of his 10 siblings at his HTD in Andi's season, as well as his parents. And before they went to his parents' house, he brought Andi to meet some of his friends at a pub. As he himself said in his post show blog, he's used to loud, big family get togethers, so Vanessa's did not intimidate him. Seriously, the man comes from a family of 11 children. 

You know? I'm beginning to seriously consider the idea that the reason this season's editing has been so confusing is because the vile villain this season was the lead's choice. THey couldn't have that so they had to paint SOMEBODY as the big bad, 

And yet they had no problem playing up Jordan's possibly not being on JoJo's season for the "right reasons", all while the tabloids kept dragging him during the season. And it's not like we've never seen Bachelor seasons where the lead picked the "villain" - Vienna and Courtney anyone?

Maybe the truth is no one was some vile villain and instead there were just a couple of dislike here and there, while the wildest personality was Corinne so she got a lot of attention. Plus I don't feel like the show ever really played up Corinne as a villain save for maybe just the drama between her and Taylor. 

But compared to other villains, I didn't see it with Corinne. Even Nick, both Andi and Kaitlyn's seasons were dominated by the drama between Nick and some of the other guys and their dislike of him, questioning of his motives, etc. We didn't really see that with Corinne so I don't buy the show was trying to portray her as a villain.

IMO, Corinne was really just a character more than anything else - a ridiculous, over the top character because without her there wasn't really much other than Nick's weepiness and whichever woman he was most into. YMMV of course. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

You know? I'm beginning to seriously consider the idea that the reason this season's editing has been so confusing is because the vile villain this season was the lead's choice. THey couldn't have that so they had to paint SOMEBODY as the big bad, and that someone was sweet, clueless, admittedly adorable little Corinne. And at first it worked. Now? We're stuck wondering why Nick even chose Vanessa. And the next words you say after that? "She's AWFUL"

So maybe this season, if they'd shown it correctly? Would've painted Nick's Choice in a really bad light so they chose to cut everything that showed her any way but either good or neutral.

That didn't stop them from how they "edited" Courtney though. Which makes me think, if that's already doing a favor to the lead because she's the chosen one, it must be way worse then during actual filming.

9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Nick had all but one of his 10 siblings at his HTD in Andi's season, as well as his parents. And before they went to his parents' house, he brought Andi to meet some of his friends at a pub. As he himself said in his post show blog, he's used to loud, big family get togethers, so Vanessa's did not intimidate him. Seriously, the man comes from a family of 11 children. 

Oh, did he? I didn't watch Andi's season. I do think siblings and parents are one thing, regardless of the number of brothers and sisters. I found it rude and presumptuous, myself. But that's me schooled!

6 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

So, I believe if I'm remembering my Reality Steve correctly, at this point in the filming it is past November 8 (but maybe not by much). Watching Rachel's family discussing 'this climate' and racism, I yearned for something that would anchor this episode in real-life time and events, and for the election to be concretely (if briefly) discussed. Again, spoilery discussion has rumored that filming went on through the election, and the women were allowed to know what was going on. Now, I don't think Bachelor Nation should intersect with politics all that much, because they specialize in dead-eyed rambling platitudes and clumsy Disney tie-ins, not in-depth meditations on increasingly mired race relations in our country. However, they were already going there, and Rachel and her family seem like the most capable hands for the show to rest these specific topics in. They got really close in a couple instances, but for whatever reason didn't get all the way there (and I'm guessing some of it was discussed, and left on the cutting room floor). What was said was surprisingly frank and well-handled, for this show, but I wanted more.

I was pleasantly surprised by that acknowledgement of current events too. FWIW, Rachel's hometown was the second one and it was filmed on October 30th (according to Reality Steve). Vanessa's, which was the last one, was filmed on November 3rd.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Is 'white on rice' a new phrase? I thought it was an old phrase and I was surprised Corinne even used it.

My grandfather used this phrase all the time when I was a kid. There's also a hilarious scene in The Golden Girls when Blanche says it and Dorothy expresses shock at it.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, wings707 said:

That is not an apartment.  It is a condo in a high rise on Collins Ave in Miami Beach and likely cost millions. 

I also thought Corrine's family would live on a beach front estate the way she carried on. But some people prefer condo living or city living.  Those buildings have both rentals and home owners. Theirs was nice, but not on the ocean, so not so impressive. But not cheap either.  

I think Corrine seemed to change on later episodes because she has not been her real self since the beginning and she's now trying out a new persona.

I doubt she ever worked for her father or owns her own online business. She's trying to get into acting like a lot of reality contestants.  She's the only one left without a real profession besides Nick, so maybe they will ride off together to Hollywood. 

I like this show better when I have so one to root for, which I don't. I think Nick left some good ones behind. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

YMMV but I just saw people who really loved and were protective of their daughter/sister who had had her heart broken before and didn't want to see it happen again. Again, I didn't find Vanessa's family any different than Nick's own family on his HTD with Andi. Nick's mom was full on crying from concern and worry, his sister looked like she was trying to stare into Andi's soul and burn her with her eyes if she thought about hurting her brother, etc. The one thing that made Nick's HTD not intense at the time was adorable Bella. 

I didn't see Nick's previous seasons so I can't compare there... but what I saw from the entirety of Vannessa's family was a very negatively emotional group, none of which could say "Well I have reservations here and I don't want to see you get hurt but I think it would be great if you really have found someone special, how cool." Like they let their reservations make the whole thing an intervention not a meet and greet. They all jumped to the worst case scenario instead of being at least welcoming to Nick. Yes, he's on a show where he is dating other people besides your precious coddled daughter but he's not the devil just waiting to whisk her away to the US and then break her heart.

• Love 6