Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E08: Week 8: Hometown Dates

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Hoxie, AR would NOT be The Perfect Place to Fall in Love for me--climbing on top of grain bins and wrestling in a bog. Doesn't seem like it was for Nick, either, with his awkward response to Raven's also awkward semi-expression of her feelings. But maybe that's because the hometown was more about her dad's health than their relationship. Usually someone starts happy crying about the lead, but all the happy crying was over dad. Don't get me wrong--yay for Raven's dad(!)--but it just took away from the discussions about Nick and Raven's relationship, at least as seen on TV.

Oh, hell no, church is worse than a mud bog! But since Nick is very religious, too, I guess it was The Perfect Place to Fall in Love for Nick and Rachel. And it seems like it truly was! They seem very genuine with each other. And yet we know that she's somehow NOT the one. I really hate that they announced her as Bachelorette. Because even though I have read spoilers, I would be convinced that the rumors are wrong and that it IS Rachel. I guess this show is doing a good job of getting me vested in her Journey, but it's at a detriment to Nick's Journey.

$1450 for a sweatsuit?!? $3423 ONE outfit--a nondescript gray sweater, pants, and shoes?! Oh, man, I'd rather go to church on top of a grain bin than sign on for this "normal day in the life of Corrine." Nick realizes that she'll expect him to maintain and ultimately exceed this standard of living, right? I'm sure she's still using daddy's credit card, which I assume will be cut off once she's betrothed. [Got some olives to "toast" along with the fam.] Huh, daddy thinks Corrine will be the breadwinner. Well, I guess that's good that they don't EXPECT Nick to make this kind of money. I think we built up too high of an expectation about Nanny Raquel; what a letdown. That looks like that COULD have been cheese pasta next to that lamb chop, but I'm not sure on that.

Exploiting special needs students seems like an equally poor Place to Fall in Love as the other three places. OMG, meeting 35 family members and friends is even crazier! I'm from NJ, and the stereotypical NJ accent (according to those who don't actually live here) is an Italian-Jersey accent, so hearing this Italian-Canadian accent is blowing my mind. Is Vanessa's brother 10 with a beard, or is he a short adult? I seriously can't tell! At dad's house, Vanessa takes one bite of crustini and then throws it back on the pile of bread; this is like a new category of double-dipping. Vanessa's dad gives Nick the verbal equivalent by throwing it back on Nick how many blessings did he ask for and how would he feel if this was his daughter?! Take that! Oh, wait, he gets the blessing after all. (Shrug) Regardless, Vanessa and family seem to be spiraling. 

Andi sashays in wearing the same pants that Sandy wore at the end of Grease. Tell me about it, stud!

• Love 20
2 minutes ago, dom16 said:

Holy shit, Vanessa is one of the most annoying contestants to ever go on this show. Really? You only JUST realized that he "might actually care about the other women"? She's so entitled. 

And she really didn't think about the fact that she'd have to move to be with Nick. I liked her family though who were asking the hard hitting questions. Especially the dad who wasn't here for this bs.

Edited by In2You
  • Love 11

I keep waiting to get a warm and fuzzy feeling from Vanessa, but I don't ever.

I did love all the dads. I thought the part with Raven and her dad was touching.

At this rate, they'll be showing us the final rose ceremony after the After the Final Rose!

I wonder if we will ever see Rachel's dad when she is The Bachelorette. According to Chris Harrison's blog tonight: Rachel’s father is a federal judge and so could not appear on our television show, but you should know that Nick and Rachel’s father did get a chance to talk before he left that night.

• Love 5

Has Vanessa even watched this show? I can't see her and Nick working out long term due to geographical differences.  

Those expensive clothes looked great on Nick ... but if he dumps Corinne does he give them back?

For a brief moment, I did think Raven and Nick were busted for attempting to climb the grain tower. Raven has to have one of the more modest homes in the Bachelor Parade O-Homes. I think Jade's hometown was the only one that seemed worse.

And Rachel's home visit was a little anti-climatic. The brother-in-law was a little smug, or something. Couldn't put my finger on it.

I wish they would end these shows with the rose ceremony LIKE THEY USED TO. Structure is important in this show, otherwise we lose track of where we are in the "journey." Isn't there an online place we can start a petition? Or should we get together and protest somewhere?

• Love 20

I actually liked Vanessa more after seeing her family. We Italians stick together! lol seriously her dad was so not into this crap fest. Nick was completely unprepared. What a turdball.

rachel was a letdown. Sorry Rachel! 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, JenE4 said:

I'm sure she's still using daddy's credit card, which I assume will be cut off once she's betrothed.

Well since he expects Corinne to be the breadwinner with Daddy's paycheck, it would only be a technicality.

Hahaha these parents all think Nick is such a loser. The amount of times the families asked what Nick does with his life, said "if this Bachelor thing" doesn't work out as if it's his career, or made comments like "go back to... whatever... after the show" was hilarious. (I say this as someone who likes Nick.)

I don't know what this says about me, but I thought the rolling around in the bog scene in Hoxie was hot. I only wish we could have seen Raven take him "frog grabbing" or whatever it was she said they do for fun there at the beginning. I loved that her hometown date was 1) in a very modest sized house and 2) all about her dad and not at all about Nick. I also realized I like the way Raven phrases things. I thought telling him there was no hesitation on her part was a nice way to change up the "falling for you" phrase, and I also thought it was cute that she told her dad no other man would have ever walked her down the aisle if he was gone.

Rachel is what I expected more of the contestants cast for this season to be like. She is so refreshingly mature for this show. They have real but comfortable conversations (ditto for the convos with her family) and Nick looks at her differently than he looks at the other women which I noticed when he was getting into the limo after their date. It's a shame she doesn't win, but I'm excited for her season. Oh, and I love that they used Rachel's voiceover of wondering whether Nick would be comfortable in her church with interspersed shots of Nick looking decidedly uncomfortable. It did get better though and looked like fun! Though to be fair, I grew up going to a Catholic church so anything outside of strict ritual mass looks like fun to me...

Well... I've definitely never seen a hometown like Corinne's. For as ridiculous as that shopping trip was, Nick was very attractive on it, mostly because he seemed comfortable, laid-back, and like he was having fun. 

I've never been so jealous of a hometown date as when Nick was offered 50 year old single-malt by Corinne's dad. 

DO NOT sign me up to join Vanessa's family. All that emotion. So many tears. Make it stop.

Ha! Only Andi could show up with one line and make it sound like the bitchiest greeting of all time.

• Love 19

Vanessa is still as humourless as ever.  And her mother is just as serious if not moreso. I'm sorry but Vanessa just reads like a lifetime of seriousness and overwrought drama.

Is that really how Andi looks or is it plastic surgery?  She looked weird

Corinne was actually relatable and seemed to be telling the truth when she spoke to her father about Nick, how Nick treats her, and how she feels about him.  (Make no mistake, I didn't mean that the shopping trip was relatable, LOL.)

I *loved* the stuff with Rachel and her family.  I had a big smile on my face the entire time.   I think Raven is perfectly fine but boy do I not get how to picture her with Nick at all.  Only for literal rolls in the hay.  

I assume he ends up with Vanessa but man.... she is a huge buzzkill

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 16

Maybe it's editing, but I feel that each one of the women left represent one part of the perfect woman that Nick is looking for but I'm not sure if we've seen any of the women showcase all attributes. Corinne brings the fun, Raven brings the adventure, Rachel brings the intellect and Vanessa brings the love and compassion. 

Raven - Not sure if the mud scene was supposed to read as an alternate version to something we'd see in The Notebook..wasn't really enamoured with it but overall it was clear that they have chemistry but I felt the focus was on her father being in remission with higher hopes of walking his daughter down the aisle. Really happy for him and it was a sweet moment between father and daughter but it didn't really do much for the Raven/Nick relationship.

Rachel - There's chemistry there...but after this hometown date, I feel like I saw Nick with his best friend that he loves but perhaps not the best friend that he seems himself being in love with. I feel like I relate well to Rachel...she seems like her approach to relationships (or at least to being on The Bachelor) is a combination of instinct and sense. I think Nick has benefited a lot from real conversations with Rachel (which has allowed him to feel super comfortable with her) because she relied on those conversations to help her navigate her feelings rather than allowing herself to only get caught up in the emotion of magical dates and stolen kisses. Sucks that they unveiled The Bachelorette but I'm interested to see how he explains his decision to send her home.

Corinne - I would have thought that a regular day in the life of Corinne would have been running dad's multi-million dollar business :P I think she goes next. No way I see that relationship being entertained any further after so much conversation was centred around money and lifestyle. 

Vanessa - Oy, what an intense hometown date. I wasn't sure what to think about her taking him to see her students until I saw the genuine reception she got from them. Maybe Vanessa only talks about being a special ed teacher because she really is that passionate about what she does for a living. In the end, I thought it was a lot sweeter than I had expected. The inquisition by her family has me convinced that Vanessa may be very selfless in her relationships and commits wholeheartedly which is why everyone else was busy worrying for her while she's been busy thinking she's falling in love. I actually liked that her family was asking real, hard questions. And I was laughing at her dad that requested that Nick explain to him what it would mean to him for a man to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage since her father wasn't sure what it meant to him after he had had 3 other fathers the same thing, haha. 

I'm calling Raven and Vanessa as the F2. They are the opposites of each other when it comes to vulnerability. One is afraid that she isn't vulnerable enough and that it'll send her home and the other is afraid she's been too vulnerable and misread how strong her relationship is. 

I HATE that they couldn't just give us one normal episode with a rose ceremony to end it off. 

• Love 9

Did they seriously not tell Raven her dad's news until that moment? This show is fun to snark on and all but that just seems beyond wrong. I want to watch and mock, not feel guilty for in any way enabling a reality show to so heartlessly keep information like that from someone just to stick to some arbitratry show rules. Yuck.

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, TheFinalRose said:

Has Vanessa even watched this show? I can't see her and Nick working out long term due to geographical differences.  

Those expensive clothes looked great on Nick ... but if he dumps Corinne does he give them back?

For a brief moment, I did think Raven and Nick were busted for attempting to climb the grain tower. Raven has to have one of the more modest homes in the Bachelor Parade O-Homes. I think Jade's hometown was the only one that seemed worse.

And Rachel's home visit was a little anti-climatic. The brother-in-law was a little smug, or something. Couldn't put my finger on it.

I wish they would end these shows with the rose ceremony LIKE THEY USED TO. Structure is important in this show, otherwise we lose track of where we are in the "journey." Isn't there an online place we can start a petition? Or should we get together and protest somewhere?

If he did pick Vanessa, it's almost certain that she would have to be the one to make the sacrifice to move. She has moved away from Montreal to pursue her own interests but she had moved to Toronto which isn't all that far from Montreal. Moving to LA might be a whole other ballgame but in their bios, she did mention that she would be open to moving for love. And it's also interesting reading about the concerns of the geographical differences on social media - all of the women live relatively far away from LA where Nick resides. Vanessa's location is given more attention purely because she lives in a different country. I would say that moving from Montreal to LA would probably be less of a culture shock than it would be moving from small town Texas to LA. I think safe to say that Corinne would be the most comfortable with the move, lol.  

• Love 1

I didn't see all of the show.  Hardly any of Raven's date, although it was nice to know her father is healthy.  Rolling around in the mud is certainly not my thing, so I hope Nick enjoyed it and I'm sure ABC exploited it 

Missed the church scene, I will have to find that, but great that Rachel let Nick know her faith is important.  Not much to say about the dinner.. except I think that those opposed to Rachel being the Bachelorette are afraid that their light hearted fantasy show will turn into serious conversations about race all the time.  I honestly don't think it has been, but I do feel it is appropriate to have that conversation if it is getting serious.   I am being a total hypocrite here because I never had that conversation with my husband's family and he never had it with anyone in my family. It certainly wasn't because we were avoiding it or did not realize it was going to be tough.   Maybe we should have had the conversation....but I don't think that the family asked the right question. The question is not do you know she is Black or have you ever dated a black girl, the question should have been can you deal with what may come with that? I think the sister said it to the camera and the mom asked it in a round about way.  Interesting Rachel said Nick wanted to talk about it because others would.  It is one of those situations that if they don't talk about it people will say it was unrealistic and if they do people will say it shouldn't matter.  Rachel looked really pretty in her camera talks. 

Missed Nick's talk with Corinne's dad, but saw his talk with Corinne.  Nick looked like he had fun on the date, but you could tell that he was thinking about what a life with Corinne would be like, or should I say how Corinne would perform during their "engagement" period. 

Missed Vanessa's entire home date, but I'm sure it was lovely.  They belong together.  I understand from above she trotted out the Special Needs students. 

Was there a rose ceremony at the end?  I am watching a full season and I thought the rose ceremonies were the most important part. I swear I can only remember two. 

• Love 1

A day with Corinne is shopping at Bal Harbour all day? I least she was honest, if not a tad shallow of what she does with most of her time. I was actually shocked she had a mom and sister, she only ever mentions the Nanny. 

I didn't expect  Rachel's dad to ever appear since they said early in the season what his occupation was. 

I liked Vanessa's dad questioning Nick on if he asked all the other dads for their blessing. He didn't get this process at all and wasn't having it. Make Nick sweat and work for it.  Also gained a lot of respect for Vanessa seeing her kids, I thought they were children all along. Special needs adults is totally not what I was expecting and you could see how much they adore her.

Ugh Andy and the tone she said hello? Nick should have closed back the door.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

The inquisition by her family has me convinced that Vanessa may be very selfless in her relationships and commits wholeheartedly which is why everyone else was busy worrying for her while she's been busy thinking she's falling in love.

Glamour interviewed a few of the women before the first night, Vanessa was one of them and she pretty much said something to that effect. That when she's in a relationship she's very focused on the other person and their needs and makes decisions always with them in mind. 

I actually liked that her family was asking real, hard questions. 

As awkward as it was, I enjoyed the date. I think Nick and Vanessa needed to hear some of these things because Nick especially knows how easily it is to get caught in the bubble of the show and believe you're so in love in the environment. Vanessa's family was like pouring a glass of ice cold water on their little fantasy.

It should have been enough for him to run if he was having doubts about her. I did love her sister basically telling him she would hate him if he broke Vanessa's heart and the shade about Nick's non-career was not lost on me at all and it was hilarious. And boy did Nick look intimidated and panicked talking to Vanessa's dad and I don't blame him. That was a "zero fucks given" dude if ever I saw one. 

It really continues to make zero sense that they spoiled Rachel as The Bachelorette because after tonight it's clearer that the only two people Nick had any real interest in was Rachel and Vanessa. I see nothing between Nick and Raven. That rolling in the mud scene was clearly meant to be hot and passionate but those kisses were like kissing a friend and there just doesn't seem to be any real connection between them. And come on, we all know Corinne is done now that she has served her purpose of introducing us to Raquel. 

There's chemistry there...but after this hometown date, I feel like I saw Nick with his best friend that he loves but perhaps not the best friend that he seems himself being in love with.

I can see that. I also think Nick is maybe more impressed and into the woman Rachel is versus being into Rachel herself if that makes sense. Like she probably does check almost everything on his "perfect woman" check list and he's super impressed by her intelligence and beauty, etc. And she just makes so much sense but ultimately, I don't know that romantically he was truly into her or as into her as he wanted to be. 

lol, that would have made this episode and hell the whole season.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Artsda said:

I'm wondering if there are any Bachelor/Bachelorette fans who love Andi?  I do not like her, at all, she is such a downer to me, and was wondering why they would even bring her back on the show. Do they really think we want to see her torment Nick some more? 

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, hyacinth said:

And I respect Rachel's Dad for getting out of the entire fuckfest.     

As a federal court judge, there's no way he could appear on this show.   Federal District Court Judges can't even have social media accounts.

Tonight's episode had me in stitches.  White dude from Wisconsin goes to all black church = deer in headlights.  Vanessa's father asking Nick if he asked for the 3 other women's hands in marriage = deer in headlights.

Corinne's family was so stereotypically wealthy Greek-American, it slayed me.  I know from experience - I married into one.  Corinne's mother had a bad facelift. 

• Love 7

Eh,  not fond of the new format. I knew it would be andi.   Probably there to give him wise counsel in choosing a mate. 

I'm sure Rachel's father the federal judge didn't want to be  seen on this reality show. I wonder how they will handle that when she's the bachelorette! 

As a parent of a special needs student, There was something weird about Vanessa telling her students about Nick and the show, and having them make a scrapbook of their romantic times. I'm glad they mentioned they were all over 21, but I'd be really annoyed if my child's special ed teacher had them do something like that! 

• Love 17

Could Nick have been more nervous to meet any of these parents?

I guess with a Rachel it was nice to see her awesome family.  But why bother to analyze the date when we know she's out?

Corrine was predictable but atleast she brought some fun to a heavy show in general. $3000 for a grey shirt and pants?  Huh?

All I could think about on the date with Raven was how he ruined his leather shoes in the bog.

What is up with Vanessa's family? Sure, they need to talk about the problem of where they might live (and it sure seemed like the only acceptable possibility for them would be Montreal).  I don't see Nick being willing to relocate to Canada let alone Montreal.  The whole family needed a glass of wine to calm down. 

• Love 6

I'm really, really excited for Rachel's season, but I'm kind of sad too, because Nick's relationship with Rachel is the only one that seems fun and easy to me. I know relationships need to be more than fun and easy, but since I'm watching these relationships on TV rather than living them, Nick and Rachel's relationship is the only one I enjoy watching. Figures.

• Love 8

I get the vibe from Rachel that she was having a good time with Nick and liked him a lot but she is most definitely not in love with him.  The other 3 all expressed that they were in love with Nick on tonight's show.

• Love 5

Corinne, her dad, her sister have the same chubby cheeks and pouty mouth. And the mom's face was just really messed up. 

Rachel and her younger sister must look just like their dad. The older sister looked exactly like the mom!  I agree, Rachel's brother-in-law thought he was extremely witty! 

Let's see how these very religious and faith filled individuals Handle the fantasy suites! I'm sure they will "take advantage of the time to just talk and get to know each other better." As Ben did with his pastor's blessing!  Haha.  I'm sure Rachel's dad will love that. 

• Love 8

Ditto to everyone above who gave props to Vanessa's dad. "What does that mean? It's a yes or no question."

Nick is just not strong enough of a personality to carry the show. He barely looks people in the eye when talking, and, while we all love a sensitive man, has any Bachelor shed as many tears as Nick has? He reacts. While that may be fine (and actually works very well) when the Bachelorette calls the shots, it makes for awful television when he's the lead. 

• Love 11

Sorry to disappoint people, but in some areas of the country it is 1 still 960 and in others people pretend like it is not., but deep down wish it was  Just because Nick is white and the brother in law is white they are not the same and may not have had the same experiences.  I assure you for some interracial couples they have to think about it all the time.  Besides, as usual the editing I'm sure made it seem like that is all they talked about but I'm sure they talked about more. 

Nothing to compare it to because this show is not known for casting too many minorities, so it is hard to know if the families were swapped if the conversation would be the same.  The thing to note here is that Rachel said that SHE had never taken a white man home.... presumably her sister had. She is also not her sister, so if this was  her first time, I can understand her family would have questions. 

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, uoflfan said:

As a federal court judge, there's no way he could appear on this show.   Federal District Court Judges can't even have social media accounts.

Plus, there are a lot of security issues. I'm clerking for my fifth federal judge, and each one of them has had to have protection from federal marshals at one point or another, due to threats from outraged litigants or tax protestors. Ever since we found out Rachel's dad was a district court judge, I've been wondering how her hometown date would be handled.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, awaken said:

Corinne, her dad, her sister have the same chubby cheeks and pouty mouth. And the mom's face was just really messed up. 

Rachel and her younger sister must look just like their dad. The older sister looked exactly like the mom!  I agree, Rachel's brother-in-law thought he was extremely witty! 

Let's see how these very religious and faith filled individuals Handle the fantasy suites! I'm sure they will "take advantage of the time to just talk and get to know each other better." As Ben did with his pastor's blessing!  Haha.  I'm sure Rachel's dad will love that. 

This all day. Have they had virgins and religious people make it that far before?  If so, how did they handle it?  If Rachel survives this week, that is probably why Nick sends her home...ha ha...maybe she will not want to "go too far" in the fantasy suite.  Is this in the contract that you sign? 

23 minutes ago, TheFinalRose said:

I'm wondering if there are any Bachelor/Bachelorette fans who love Andi?  I do not like her, at all, she is such a downer to me, and was wondering why they would even bring her back on the show. 

I liked her on the show but I think she's turned into the biggest hypocritical famewhore since. She was livid with Nick for mentioning they made love on ATFR but she had no issues writing about it in her book. And she insists she was "slut shamed" just shows how delusional and obtuse she is about why he asked her that question. Miss former assistant district attorney needs to have some dignity and move on. 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Plus, there are a lot of security issues. I'm clerking for my fifth federal judge, and each one of them has had to have protection from federal marshals at one point or another, due to threats from outraged litigants or tax protestors. Ever since we found out Rachel's dad was a district court judge, I've been wondering how her hometown date would be handled.

With all the attention on Rachel, I'm surprised she agreed to be Bachelorette since it's putting her dad in the spotlight. 

There was an article already with his photo written by a journalist he sentenced in a case. Her father and his record of sentencing is becoming public now.

Wholy Sigmund Freud!!

Wow did Rachel's bro in law look like an older, scruffier Nick...I was "side eye" watching and thought Woah, Nick really grew out his beard and gained a few lbs

Hard to rewind and see, and realized it was his older, rounder doppleganger 

guess its only me that noticed...but its Creepy McCreeperson territory...blech

Edited by Christi
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, RHJunkie said:

If he did pick Vanessa, it's almost certain that she would have to be the one to make the sacrifice to move. She has moved away from Montreal to pursue her own interests but she had moved to Toronto which isn't all that far from Montreal. Moving to LA might be a whole other ballgame but in their bios, she did mention that she would be open to moving for love. And it's also interesting reading about the concerns of the geographical differences on social media - all of the women live relatively far away from LA where Nick resides. Vanessa's location is given more attention purely because she lives in a different country. I would say that moving from Montreal to LA would probably be less of a culture shock than it would be moving from small town Texas to LA. I think safe to say that Corinne would be the most comfortable with the move, lol.  

Rachel lives in Dallas that's not exactly small town Texas. Raven is the only one who lives in a small town.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

For a brief moment, I did think Raven and Nick were busted for attempting to climb the grain tower.

I am going to need to do an intervention with you.

1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

I liked her on the show but I think she's turned into the biggest hypocritical famewhore since. She was livid with Nick for mentioning they made love on ATFR but she had no issues writing about it in her book. And she insists she was "slut shamed" just shows how delusional and obtuse she is about why he asked her that question. Miss former assistant district attorney needs to have some dignity and move on. 

I hated her show and hated her.  She was a famewhore on the show and it continued after.  So glad she never got the network judge show she wanted.

1 hour ago, thejuicer said:

Corinne: I thought he had the most fun with her.  He should just pick her.  They have sexual chemistry, she likes dropping dough on him, and neither one is ready to marry anyway.

I think you have the ending.  Neither of them want to get married .  I think he may pick her.

Vanessa: I thought she was exploiting her special needs students.  It did not sit well with me.  That creeped me out too.  Did not sit well is a great way to put it.

• Love 4

As usual there's a lot of different takes and opinions on what we've seen so here goes my two cents.

I really liked Rachel's mother and can see part of why (sure the father has had influence as well) her daughters seem to be strong, intelligent women. I also saw what another poster said in that the look on Nick's face as he was about to leave in the limousine said a lot about his feelings for Rachel. I think he deeply admires and respects Rachel and although he probably wishes that he could feel more because she does check off so many boxes it's just not enough and he's not in love with her. If production had anything to do with her going as far as she has (as many seem to think) I don't think Nick would have had any objections whatsoever. But I don't think that was the case. I think he genuinely liked and admired her and I think the placing of her exit was his way of helping to see that she was given the opportunity to find love on the B'ette. 

I really liked Corrine's dad and can see that she most definitely is more like him in terms of personality and warmth and for someone who was born with a silver spoon in her mouth she is surprisingly warm and generous. Her edit this season was obviously meant to mislead and portray her as the villain and with all the overkill it still fell flat. But it's still hard to believe that as much as she thinks she may be in love with Nick that she would be happy in the long run if Nick failed to have a income that could keep up with her lifestyle.

Of the four I think Raven's home date was the most fun and I think it showed that she's not one dimensional. She's a serious boutique owner who doesn't care to get dirty and show her fun side (including practical jokes) and I disagree about the chemistry between them. There's different levels of chemistry and although I don't think it's intense I can definitely see chemistry there. Same as the roller skating date they seem to have a easy, carefree time when they're together and hers was the least uptight and stressful of all the hometowns in my opinion. I also disagree that her dad's remission and the tears that resulted had nothing to do with her and Nick's relationship. That was as real as it can get and if you intend to spend your life with someone that's the reality you could be faced with and her dad wanting to be there to walk her down the aisle fit perfectly with the reason her and Nick were there. Speaking from personal experience I get where her dad was coming from. You don't sweat the small stuff and if your daughter's happy your happy.

Vanessa and her family were so uptight. I get that it's a serious matter but it seemed as though as a family that they don't have many lighthearted moments. I mean forget about Rachel's federal judge dad. Vanessa's more than made up for him. She seems like she's almost forgot that there are other women involved here and just blocked it out. It does make you wonder if she's ever watched the show but in fairness to her, although others didn't seem to see it, I agree with her about the look Nick was giving her throughout their first date. I do think there is a intense chemistry between them and that's what has her so crazy. For purposes of the show it has had to be edited and dampened down which leads me to my next thought.

This has been the most poorly edited season I have ever seen. We could maybe have more insight into Vanessa and Rachel if the big fight wouldn't have been cut. The night Raven got the group date rose and we saw none of that or the reason why? Maybe there was some more obvious chemistry during that one on one. The conversations and interactions with all the women that weren't shown could maybe explain more why Nick made the decisions he did or lack thereof. It's kind of been a jumbled up mess and coupled with them announcing Rachel so early it's kind of anti climatic who will be the last one standing.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 4

I agree that Nick is def. lagging behind in the "Being able to keep her in the manner to which she is accustomed" factor with Corrine. She's got champagne tastes and Nick seems more of a beer budget guy. I was thinking, hell, I'm not sure if my whole wardrobe is worth as much as that outfit was.

40 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

Of the four I think Raven's home date was the most fun and I think it showed that she's not one dimensional. She's a serious boutique owner who doesn't care to get dirty and show her fun side (including practical jokes) and I disagree about the chemistry between them.

I'm with you in that I thought he handled the day with Raven with the most sincerity and ease. Well, beside the 'I think we're getting arrested' part that is heh. I like Raven, she's kind a of a more 'slow to warm to' kind it seems, but that's the most realistic 'ramp up' of feelings over the condensed yet short time that has passed. I think they have a genuine attraction and he respects Raven's style. I actually would rank their time together as the top of the days overall.

I know it's their time to program but were I to take someone to my church, an activity in which there may be multiple points of uncomfort I'd have asked ahead of time not sprung it on him like Rachel did. No the least of which was 'let me take you were I really fit in and you'll really stick out' which I wouldn't have appreciated. A little warning first at least? Have the two of you even talked about religion, like, at all before this?? I was shocked by that choice. Not sure I'd have played that card. If this really was SO important to her you'd think we'd have heard her speak of it earlier in the process.

It was interesting to find out that Vanessa's student were all adults. I'm not sure which way to go on the whole scrapbook thing. I didn't instantly think it was a mistake like with Rachel's church visit though. Vanessa's family is SO uptight. Yikes. Enjoy life a little? It's like it was some solemn duty to spend time with the family, not a joyous occasion. He's dating other people, it's the show people! Nothing they can do about it. And yes, it was shocking to see the fact that Nick may have feeling for some/all of the other girls set in for the first time for her. Seriously? And you never thought of what might happen if you fall in love with a guy who grew up in Wisconsin and moved to LA that might not want to move to another country? Too much making out and not enough asking pertinent questions!!

So yeah I thought there were red flags everywhere, in my opinion, except with Raven who seems pretty committed and genuine. But maybe he will "end up with nobody" at the end like he's voiced the fear of happening. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, awaken said:

As a parent of a special needs student, There was something weird about Vanessa telling her students about Nick and the show, and having them make a scrapbook of their romantic times. I'm glad they mentioned they were all over 21, but I'd be really annoyed if my child's special ed teacher had them do something like that! 

Yes, The thing I didn't like was giving her students photos of her in a bikini, for them to put in the scrapbook.   It kind of crosses a boundary between students and teacher. 

Also - making a scrapbook?  They used gluesticks to put photos in a book.  something a preschooler could do.  It did seem demeaning.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Sorry to disappoint people, but in some areas of the country it is 1 still 960 and in others people pretend like it is not., but deep down wish it was  

I have absolutely no idea what this sentence means.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, TheFinalRose said:

Based on how many times they zoomed in on the name of the store, I would guess he gets to keep them since it's obvious that that whole set up was fake.  Free clothes for advertising. 

• Love 4

So every season the rose ceremony after hometown dates takes place in LA, but this one happens to be in NYC because it's Nick's favorite city? How convenient that Andi also lives in NYC and was able to stop by. </eyeroll>

I thought the dates were mostly boring to watch, except for Corinne's fun Greek dad. Rachel's family seems lovely, but the constant emphasis on race wasn't entertaining to watch. I'm really happy for Raven's dad being in remission, but otherwise her date did nothing for me. Vanessa kept saying how much she loves her students and her family, but I still don't get any warmth from her. Her family should have been pre-briefed that this is just a silly dating show and to dial the intensity down a few notches.

• Love 10

Does anyone know where they're staying in New yOrk?

i can't believe they showed Corrine's address on the show. First they show Collins ave,  then they show the big number of the building, which is one of the condo/apartment buildings in north Miami.

I also don't get why Corrine is living at home.  She claims to own this huge company but can't get her own apartment?  I don't know too many people who willingly live with their parents at that age. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Does anyone know where they're staying in New yOrk?

Brooklyn.

5 minutes ago, Lemons said:

I also don't get why Corrine is living at home.  She claims to own this huge company but can't get her own apartment?  I don't know too many people who willingly live with their parents at that age. 

In her opening package it looked like the company is being run out of a home office. Plus, her parents and "nanny" spoil her rotten, she doesn't have to lift a finger around the house, and she apparently has free reign over Daddy's credit card. What's not to like?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Wandering Snark said:

I agree that Nick is def. lagging behind in the "Being able to keep her in the manner to which she is accustomed" factor with Corrine. She's got champagne tastes and Nick seems more of a beer budget guy. I was thinking, hell, I'm not sure if my whole wardrobe is worth as much as that outfit was.

I'm with you in that I thought he handled the day with Raven with the most sincerity and ease. Well, beside the 'I think we're getting arrested' part that is heh. I like Raven, she's kind a of a more 'slow to warm to' kind it seems, but that's the most realistic 'ramp up' of feelings over the condensed yet short time that has passed. I think they have a genuine attraction and he respects Raven's style. I actually would rank their time together as the top of the days overall.

I know it's their time to program but were I to take someone to my church, an activity in which there may be multiple points of uncomfort I'd have asked ahead of time not sprung it on him like Rachel did. No the least of which was 'let me take you were I really fit in and you'll really stick out' which I wouldn't have appreciated. A little warning first at least? Have the two of you even talked about religion, like, at all before this?? I was shocked by that choice. Not sure I'd have played that card. If this really was SO important to her you'd think we'd have heard her speak of it earlier in the process.

It was interesting to find out that Vanessa's student were all adults. I'm not sure which way to go on the whole scrapbook thing. I didn't instantly think it was a mistake like with Rachel's church visit though. Vanessa's family is SO uptight. Yikes. Enjoy life a little? It's like it was some solemn duty to spend time with the family, not a joyous occasion. He's dating other people, it's the show people! Nothing they can do about it. And yes, it was shocking to see the fact that Nick may have feeling for some/all of the other girls set in for the first time for her. Seriously? And you never thought of what might happen if you fall in love with a guy who grew up in Wisconsin and moved to LA that might not want to move to another country? Too much making out and not enough asking pertinent questions!!

So yeah I thought there were red flags everywhere, in my opinion, except with Raven who seems pretty committed and genuine. But maybe he will "end up with nobody" at the end like he's voiced the fear of happening. 

Good post. I hadn't thought about it but your right the church date would have been uncomfortable if they had not talked about it beforehand. And if it's that important to her why hadn't she talked to him about it?? I don't remember but did she really say, "let me take you where I really fit in and you'll really stick out" or was that the way you perceived her thought process? Although it kind of answers some of the questions others have been asking as to why show her hometown since we know she's not his F1. Any bachelors for her season who are watching now know that's a important part of her life.

And I was surprised also that Vanessa's students were adults. I didn't think anything bad about them doing scrapbooks as others have. She's their teacher she knows their intellectual levels and what's appropriate for them. She seemed a natural at it though and her students appeared to really love her.

I agree with your take on Raven's climb. She's been kind of the dark horse but her being laid back, easygoing, and willing to take some of those dumb group dates in stride have not gone unnoticed by Nick it seems.

Edited by yorklee2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, yorklee2 said:

And I was surprised also that Vanessa's students were adults. I didn't think anything bad about them doing scrapbooks as others have. She's their teacher she knows their intellectual levels and what's appropriate for them. She seemed a natural at it though and her students appeared to really love her.

I don't think it's so much the scrapbooking that bothers people, it's that special needs people were filmed for this show at all. Some of us (I'm guessing those who have special needs family members, as is the case with me) find that exploitive. I'm a little less uncomfortable about it knowing that the students are all over 21 and high-functioning, but I still don't love that it was done. A couple of years ago, I think it was on Des's season, a contestant's severely disabled, non-verbal sister was filmed for the show, which really didn't sit well with me.

2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Corinne's father was funny and shrewd - I loved his conversation with Corinne where he basically was agreeing to buy her Nick if she really really wanted to have him. He was talking to her as if she were a nine-year-old who had dragged home a stray mutt. "Are you really willing to do the work of taking care of this dog, Corinne? Do you really want him? We could get you a real nice pedigreed Golden puppy if you want a dog, you know? No? Okay, you can have him, but you have to walk him and pick up his poop yourself! No getting Nanny Raquel to do it for you!"

Perfection. Thank you for making me LOL. Honestly, in the real world, as immature as Corinne may seem, she is a better catch than Nick. If it weren't for the show, I doubt she would go for someone like him in real life. A salesman wannabe mactor who cries a little too much? No, thank you!

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think it's so much the scrapbooking that bothers people, it's that special needs people were filmed for this show at all. Some of us (I'm guessing those who have special needs family members, as is the case with me) find that exploitive. I'm a little less uncomfortable about it knowing that the students are all over 21 and high-functioning, but I still don't love that it was done. A couple of years ago, I think it was on Des's season, a contestant's severely disabled, non-verbal sister was filmed for the show, which really didn't sit well with me.

I can definitely see your point coming from your perspective. That would bother me too if it were a family member. It makes me wonder though if since these students probably can't speak legally for themselves if the show had to get permission from the parents to have their children filmed? Seems like that would be a liability the show wouldn't want to incur.

• Love 2

My thoughts on the hometown dates:

1. Raven: very nice family.  She seems fun, but I don't see any chemistry between her and Nick

2. Rachel: obviously very accomplished young woman. She's classy and intelligent.  It is probably true that some parts of the country still side-eye interracial relationships, though I'm surprised that it would be a big city like Dallas where Rachel lives. I live in a much smaller city in the Midwest and no one cares about interracial relationships.  Black-white relationships are very common.  Anyway, while I saw a ton of chemistry between Rachel and Nick during their New Orleans date, I'm surprised I saw very little during the Hometown date.  Maybe its just nerves?

3. Corinne: she has a fun family and Raquel seems like a sweet lady.  I think any man should run from a woman like Corinne, not because of her personality, but because of her spending habits.  She would have to find a man who is significantly more wealthy than her in order to be fine with her excessive shopping. There is no way Nick could make enough money to support Corinne's lifestyle and while Corinne may be perfectly fine being the breadwinner now, I think she would find unattractive with time.  

4. Vanessa: oh boy.  I find it creepy that Vanessa would involve her students in her love life even though they are over 21.  It was really inappropriate for her to let her students see her in a bikini.  There are just some lines that shouldn't be crossed in a professional setting. When I think "Italian family," I think of a fun, boisterous group of people who exude warmth.  I understand that Vanessa and Nick need to discuss some important issues, but they were so somber about the relationship.  Yes, it does suck that Vanessa may get her heart broken because (1) she is still competing against other women (2) this show doesn't have the greatest track record for marriage. However, she is 29 years old and should've learned how to cope with breakups ages ago seeing as how this isn't her first relationship.  It is a major red flag when someone is pushing 30 and their family is that concerned about having to pick up the pieces after a breakup.  It makes you wonder exactly how much does Vanessa fall apart after a relationship ends? Perhaps I'm being cruel, but I expect some emotional resiliency at her age.

Also, I can't believe that Vanessa only just now realized that Nick may have feelings for other women.  Sorry Vanessa.  While being a special needs teacher is admirable, it doesn't make you a special snowflake (nothing does in fact).  Yes, it's pretty typical for the Bachelor to ask all of the fathers for their blessing.  It really doesn't mean anything.  Until you are the last woman standing with a ring on your finger, then you can't assume anything about the strength of your relationship.  She really needs to grow up before getting married.  If I were Nick, I wouldn't pick any of them.  

Edited by PhysNerd
needed to add one more paragraph
  • Love 13