Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E12: Stuck in the Middle (With You)

Diane
  • Start Topic

Just now, catrox14 said:

Ermm.. I was just speculating. I didn't say it was a foregone conclusion.  It's just fun for me to think how that could happen. 

I know.  Sorry.  LIke I said, I just have a real hatred of time travel, so if Crowley time-travelled for the Colt, I will be wicked not happy.

1 minute ago, rue721 said:

I'm probably being dense but I don't understand how you can "leave" a physical object in the past anyway? Assuming that nobody destroys it, wouldn't the object just continue to exist and eventually be in the present again?

You got me.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, rue721 said:

I'm probably being dense but I don't understand how you can "leave" a physical object in the past anyway? Assuming that nobody destroys it, wouldn't the object just continue to exist and eventually be in the present again?

Yes, the Colt was there in the first place.  Dean dropped it after shooting the phoenix. Then, I assume Elkins the bartender collected it, because it was in the possession of DAniel Elkins in Season 1 in Dead Man's Blood.

By saying it was left in the past, I just meant that Dean didn't stick it in his pocket and transport it back to the future.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 1

First of all, the Colt was originally *from* the past.  It stayed in its proper time frame and didn't move at all.  So all that they did was get it from Colt and arranged (not on purpose) that Elkins picked it up and left it to his descendants.  Everything else just followed naturally:   Elkins the bartender picked it up, and Dean borrowed it from Daniel Elkins who then retrieved it from the Campbells at the end of In the Beginning (Dean told Elkins where it would be); then, um...the vampires killed Elkins and got the gun, and John got it from the vampires and gave it to Azazel who used it to open the Devil's Gate, and Dean picked it up and used it to kill Azazel; but it was out of bullets until Ruby came along and gave them some more...until Bela stole it and gave it to Crowley, who gave it back to the boys in Abandon All Hope, where it failed to kill Lucifer and they left it behind. so...sheesh.  My head hurts.  Causality loops, I think.  If the boys hadn't gotten the gun from Colt and left it behind, then Elkins wouldn't have picked it up and kept it for future generations.  

ETA:  I have to write faster.  Thanks, Katy M.

My question is:  Do we know what the "five beings in all creation" that the Colt can't kill are? I would have assumed God and Death, but we know it can't kill Lucifer, so no archangels?  Wouldn't that be more than 5? Or does that mean archangels are stronger than death?  And would a half-archangel also be immune?

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 5

Crowley definitely gave the colt to Ramael.  That was his special gift in the box that Crowley gave him in the scene from 6 years ago.  It was the same box that Mary took from the safe.  

So these Prince's of Hell...have they ever been mentioned before, or is this just another slight twist to the lore for the sake of drama?  I don't remember ever hearing about them before.  

I did look like someone was looking in the window at Mary and Ketch.  It could have just been an attempt at an interesting shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that it was Cas.  There's a reason they had him ask that question about what was supposed to have been stolen.  Mary's secret isn't going to be a secret for long, I don't think.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ahrtee said:

My question is:  Do we know what the "five beings in all creation" that the Colt can't kill are? I would have assumed God and Death, but we know it can't kill Lucifer, so no archangels?  Wouldn't that be more than 5? Or does that mean archangels are stronger than death?  And would a half-archangel also be immune?

Besides Lucifer, we haven't been told what it can't kill,  I would assume your correct that no archangels (not that any besides Lucifer are left anyway). I'm also assuming that 5 beings doesn't mean 5 specific individuals, but 5 things, such as archangels, horsemen, God and his sister being one thing since their the same.  Although someone once told me that God wouldn't count as part of creation since He wasn't created.  Honestly, trying to think of the 5 things has been giving me a headache for the last 7 years. I'm thinking the half-archangel is the reason for the resurfacing of the Colt, but time will tell.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

This is a direct correlation to "plot needs" LOL

Just now, Katy M said:

Besides Lucifer, we haven't been told what it can't kill,  I would assume your correct that no archangels (not that any besides Lucifer are left anyway)

Michael is still in the Cage he's just in a corner diddling himself according to Lucifer which might just be a lie.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

I did look like someone was looking in the window at Mary and Ketch.  It could have just been an attempt at an interesting shot, but I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that it was Cas.  There's a reason they had him ask that question about what was supposed to have been stolen.  Mary's secret isn't going to be a secret for long, I don't think.

It did look that way, but I don't know that anyone was.  They did the same kind of shot in Time is on My side, when they were burying the doctor and I was sure that he was going to pop up again because someone was watching and dug him up.

1 minute ago, SueB said:

@ahrtee Yes. Thank you for spelling that out so I didn't have to.  I presume the five beings are "types of beings": God/Amara, the Archangels (primordial beings), maybe Horsemen, maybe Leviathans

That's my archival (and genealogy) training...always show an unbroken chain of possession to prove provenance. (Which is pronounced PRO-venance in archives, BTW.)  

I didn't think of the idea of "types of beings" instead of specific beings.  That makes sense.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

Stay tuned for Riverdale which is following Supernatural, but now here's a preview for Riverdale airing tonight on CW, the official home of Riverdale.

You're only 30 seconds away from an all-new episode of the critically-acclaimed show. <~~~actual quote

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

First of all, the Colt was originally *from* the past.  It stayed in its proper time frame and didn't move at all.  So all that they did was get it from Colt and arranged (not on purpose) that Elkins picked it up and left it to his descendants.  Everything else just followed naturally:   Elkins the bartender picked it up, and Dean borrowed it from Daniel Elkins who then retrieved it from the Campbells at the end of In the Beginning (Dean told Elkins where it would be); then, um...the vampires killed Elkins and got the gun, and John got it from the vampires and gave it to Azazel who used it to open the Devil's Gate, and Dean picked it up and used it to kill Azazel; but it was out of bullets until Ruby came along and gave them some more...until Bela stole it and gave it to Crowley, who gave it back to the boys in Abandon All Hope, where it failed to kill Lucifer and they left it behind. so...sheesh.  My head hurts.  Causality loops, I think.  If the boys hadn't gotten the gun from Colt and left it behind, then Elkins wouldn't have picked it up and kept it for future generations.  

ETA:  I have to write faster.  Thanks, Katy M.

I think it's five specific beings. We know Lucifer, so by extension Michael I would guess. But that would mean no archangels, and they're are several. Add Amara and God... oh Hell I don't know! Damn all of you for driving my crazy with this!!

Loved this episode though! Mick called The Colt from the beginning, so I hate him tonight.

• Love 2

I figured it might be the Colt when they SPOILED IT IN THE THEN.  Come on.  Oh and CW Promo people continue to be the worst.  They spoiled the Colt on Twitter at the end of the EC viewing. Good thing I watch the EC feed or I'd be pissed.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Crowley definitely gave the colt to Ramael.  That was his special gift in the box that Crowley gave him in the scene from 6 years ago.  It was the same box that Mary took from the safe.  

So these Prince's of Hell...have they ever been mentioned before, or is this just another slight twist to the lore for the sake of drama?  I don't remember ever hearing about them before.  

Well, we did have the "Knights Of Hell", so why the fuck not?

I agree about someone watching. Had to be Cas!

Just now, MysteryGuest said:

But since when does the colt glow?  Didn't they show it glowing whenever anyone opened the box?  Obviously, I'm going to need to watch again, but I could swear it was glowing.

That's a good question. It's never glowed before.  I'll have to check for that during my rewatch

Just now, MysteryGuest said:

But since when does the colt glow?  Didn't they show it glowing whenever anyone opened the box?  Obviously, I'm going to need to watch again, but I could swear it was glowing.

I honestly don't remember any glowing, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Probably Ramael polished it every night.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Mick Lady said:

Well, we did have the "Knights Of Hell", so why the fuck not?

I was waiting for Dean to say "So wait a minute there are Princes of Hell? You mean I could have had a promotion? Son of a bitch!"

I just want that scene to see the look on Mary's face. 

But then at this point I'm not sure the writers actually remember Dean was a Knight of Hell....

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, SueB said:

@ahrtee Yes. Thank you for spelling that out so I didn't have to.  I presume the five beings are "types of beings": God/Amara, the Archangels (primordial beings), maybe Horsemen, maybe Leviathans

Another category could be whales. I really can't see a whale being killed by that little gun. Dinosaurs would probably be tough to kill with it, too. Megafauna in general. But Megafauna are probably not included in the Big 5, if I'm being honest.

The Colt did look like it was making the box glow, but I think that was just a hat-tip to Pulp Fiction.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Another category could be whales. I really can't see a whale being killed by that little gun. Dinosaurs would probably be tough to kill with it, too. Megafauna in general. But Megafauna are probably not included in the Big 5, if I'm being honest.

The Colt did look like it was making the box glow, but I think that was just a hat-tip to Pulp Fiction.

rue, you are truly insane! One of the many reasons I love you!

Loved the "tip of the hat" to Pulp Fiction! Just watched it the other night, so it really got us.

• Love 4

I liked the fact that they showed how Crowley went from "punk-ass crossroads demon" to King of Hell, though they didn't explain how he actually managed to take over, since he wasn't given a crown or seal of approval or anything to convince the rest of demonkind.  

I think I'll have to rewatch; the feeling I got was that there was so much razzle-dazzle in the direction and editing that it might be hiding the fact that there was actually very little story; but maybe it was enough just to show (a) there are Princes (and Princesses) of Hell still around, who might potentially be problems (or help?); (b) that Mary trusted the BMoL; (c) that the BMoL now have the Colt; (c) that Lucifer is now in a cage in Crowley's living room, and (d) there was a pretty nice fight, Cas almost died and they all (including Mary) admitted he was family.  So hmmm, yeah, lots of set up after all.  

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Another category could be whales. I really can't see a whale being killed by that little gun. Dinosaurs would probably be tough to kill with it,

What about elephants?  or giants?  There have to be giants.  There are fairies and dragons.

Wait, I decided I'm looking at this all wrong.  Bed bugs.  How are you going to kill a bedbug with a bullet.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 6

Ohhhhh I bet it can't kill fairies either. They seem like they're in a whole different schema from this demons/humans/angels/god dramz.

ETA:  Man, why can't fairies come back? They're way cooler than Lucifer and he's always showing back up like a bad penny.

And wouldn't it be convenient if the fairies took Lucifer's baby and left him with a foundling, too? Maybe somebody can strike a deal with them for that.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 8

I liked it a lot.  The guy who played the Prince of Hell was really good, to the point where I was kind of sorry we lost him, since he was definitely a worthwhile villain.   I can only assume we are going to meet his Siblings.

It was not looking good for Castiel tonight. Really amazing character trajectory for him in retrospect.  When introduced, he brought new meaning to "cold" and "aloof".  And he only really thawed towards Dean for a long time.  I think Sam grew attached to Castiel long before Castiel grew attached to him.   While Mary is very fond of Castiel, I think her sadness really came from seeing how much Castiel means to Dean and Sam.

I had to LOL at Crowley.  And it's one of the many reasons I'm glad Cas is ok.   His dynamic with Crowley always cracks me up.  "Agent Beyonce and Agent Jay-Z", Crowley telling Castiel that nobody "Summons" anymore and why did he just call, to which Castiel replied "Your not in my contacts."  It's always fun to see them together, so Crowley admitting that he's grown fond of "The Choir Boy" and ultimately, saving him, was a nice shout out to their long history.  Though favorite Crowley nickname for Castiel is still "Feathers."

I do wonder when the writers are going to tackle the final reckoning between Crowley and The Winchesters though.  I'm wondering if that's what the closing of this episode was supposed to foreshadow?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, catrox14 said:

I'm going with Dean was in shock that the only other person he loves like family was possibly dying and that he just couldn't comprehend it.  It's all I got. 

Plus I think that he was trying to be strong for Cas.

• Love 6

Jumping in (and then I have to go back to reading all posts) to say that the last time I saw the Colt in real time (not in Frontierland) was when Bobby shot Samifer in Swan Song. I don't think we saw it after that. I could picture Crowley watching the action and then grabbing the Colt and poof! He gave it to whatshisname right after all of that when Luci was caged. But why that cage was any different so that Luci couldn't rule Hell, you got me.

4 minutes ago, ZennyKenny said:

Plus I think that he was trying to be strong for Cas.

Yeah I definitely saw that too.  He was doing his trying to be funny schtick t like he does with Sam when Sam was on the verge of dying. 

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

They just did that for the sake of ripping off Pulp Fiction.

Also the diner scene and the slow-mo walking out of the diner scene was lifted directly from Reservoir Dogs. I was honestly surprised when they didn't use the song "Little green bag". But thank God there was no discussion about Madonna's "Like A Virgin".

• Love 2
Just now, FlickChick said:

Jumping in (and then I have to go back to reading all posts) to say that the last time I saw the Colt in real time (not in Frontierland) was when Bobby shot Samifer in Swan Song. I don't think we saw it after that. I could picture Crowley watching the action and then grabbing the Colt and poof! He gave it to whatshisname right after all of that when Luci was caged. But why that cage was any different so that Luci couldn't rule Hell, you got me.

Ohh....that's right! I forgot he shot him with the Colt. 

Just now, ZennyKenny said:

They just did that for the sake of ripping off Pulp Fiction.

Which is a problem because in a show about Supernatural things that do glow....making an homage for the sake of it, fucks with continuity.  Dick Speight really should have realized that unless the writer insisted.  Meh.

16 minutes ago, FlickChick said:

I may be wrong, but I thought it was just a regular gun Bobby used at Stull, not the Colt.  Supernatural Wiki has the last use of the Colt (aside from Frontierland) in Abandon All Hope, not Swan Song (not that they can't be mistaken...)  Anyone want to rewatch to check?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

I do wonder when the writers are going to tackle the final reckoning between Crowley and The Winchesters though.  I'm wondering if that's what the closing of this episode was supposed to foreshadow?

Crowley was pretty convincing when he was trying to get the Prince to let Cas and the Winchesters go.

He could have just said screw it and let them get killed. Or just stayed out of it altogether and watched the show. Actively trying to save them meant putting his ass on the line, and he had nothing directly to gain from it, either. IMO it was actually a pretty big deal that he did that.

Bummer that Crowley was willing to do that, and even broke the lance and then left it with them, while meanwhile Mary was willing to risk everyone for the Colt.

Anyway, I think that he ultimately did it because he genuinely likes being on their side. IMO he sees them as winners, and he likes being on the winning team. And IMO he likes the idea of being one of "the good guys" -- even though being allied with the good guys is probably as close as he's capable of getting to that.

In any case, I think his motives were personal, not professional. As much of a schemer as Crowley is, IMO he really isn't that power hungry. I thought one of the most interesting things to come out of this episode was that he was so reluctant to become King of Hell, and that the thought had apparently not even occurred to him until the Prince brought it up.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

I may be wrong, but I thought it was just a regular gun Bobby used at Stull, not the Colt.  Supernatural Wiki has the last use of the Colt (aside from Frontierland) in Abandon All Hope, not Swan Song (not that they can't be mistaken...)  Anyone want to rewatch to check?

Not me. I hate Swan Song. LOL

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

It was.  I did a comparison of the two way back when-probably on TWoP.  :-p

The Colt has a smaller sight at the end of a much longer, sleeker single barrel without the extra piece running underneath and the grip itself is  not nearly as bulky as the one on the gun Bobby is using.

You're welcome.  ;-)

• Love 4

So upon rewatch, I remain...whelmed.

If Mary thinks of Cas as her son, well that's just stupid. They haven't bonded enough for that. Also, Mary barely claimed her own sons why throw in Cas.  Sorry not buying that.

Someone on Twitter pointed out that Crowley had the Lance of Michael when Dean could have used it to kill Lucifer.  Great.

The non linear structure did nothing to enhance the story IMO.

Does anyone remember Dean's history in this show anymore? 

• Love 5

Loved it. Fun structure, interesting plot, strong character interaction. I've liked both of Davy Perez's episodes a lot - which is good, because the show is in sore need of better writing. He even managed to give me the first Lucifer scene I've enjoyed in forever, although that may have to do with the return of Mark P as well. More impressively, he made me interested in Crowley, who I usually think overstayed his welcome about three seasons ago. 

I'm concerned about where things are heading with Mary, and don't understand why she was so invested in bringing the Colt to the MoL that she would have risked all of their lives. I'm hoping there is something we don't know that would at least explain, if not justify, her decision. I did notice that Cas seemed suspicious.

Also glad that Sam got the big kill, which is rare for him -- although ironically, as Dean is the one with the connection to Michael, in this case, it probably should have been him. I actually thought that Dean's status as the Michael sword might be crucial in curing Cas, but apparently not. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

What about elephants?  or giants?  There have to be giants.  There are fairies and dragons.

Wait, I decided I'm looking at this all wrong.  Bed bugs.  How are you going to kill a bedbug with a bullet.

Oh and bacteria. The Colt would be pretty useless against bacteria. Or viruses, for that matter.

• Love 6

One more "hmm?" moment...Mary referred to Yellow Eyes as Azazel.  But we didn't find out his name till season 3, when Dean was trapped with Casey? the demon.  It wouldn't have been in John's journal.  It's possible that the boys talked about it with Mary (as in, "we killed the yellow-eyed demon who killed you; oh, and btw, his name was Azazel") but it just seemed a little strange that she could just blurt out the name so automatically.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, bethy said:

I found the conversation around the table about waitresses smelling like food surprisingly entertaining. Wally agreeing with Dean about that being a bonus and Sam all, "How is that a plus?!" actually made me laugh out loud.

Me, too. I enjoyed that conversation. Poor Sam. All he wanted was good internet connection, and no one else cared about his plight. I forget what Dean said, but it was amusing.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Forget giving the Colt up.  Shoot him with it. 

I thought Crowley said that the Colt couldn't kill Ramiel, but I might be remembering incorrectly. Nevertheless, Mary wouldn't have known that, so yes, she should've tried.

I'm wondering if the Colt isn't going to work against Satan's spawn, even if the BMoL think it will. I'm putting my money on Michael's lance. I think Dean is going to fix it somehow.

Well, I really enjoyed this episode. I liked the homages, I liked the humor. I liked the suspense. I didn't even mind the time shifts.

I do have a small quibble. Ramiel was an idiot for trying to "play with his food." Unless the brass knuckles Dean had and/or that ring of fire affected his powers - which could be possible - he should've been able to throw Sam and Dean around much more easily, I thought, so he should've gotten right to it. Because of course if you don't kill Sam and Dean right away, they are going to find a way to kill you in the end - even Crowley knows that.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

It's possible that the boys talked about it with Mary (as in, "we killed the yellow-eyed demon who killed you; oh, and btw, his name was Azazel") but it just seemed a little strange that she could just blurt out the name so automatically.

Maybe Dean told her about it when he gave her that update on his life when she first came back? We didn't see that conversation, but I was under the impression from the way the scene faded and returned that it was a lengthy and likely detailed one.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

One more "hmm?" moment...Mary referred to Yellow Eyes as Azazel.  But we didn't find out his name till season 3, when Dean was trapped with Casey? the demon.  It wouldn't have been in John's journal.  It's possible that the boys talked about it with Mary (as in, "we killed the yellow-eyed demon who killed you; oh, and btw, his name was Azazel") but it just seemed a little strange that she could just blurt out the name so automatically.  

I thought about this too. Continuity fail.  Unless they told Mary their whole life story and you know didn't bother to let the audience in on that little tidbit which would really suck.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, rue721 said:

Crowley was pretty convincing when he was trying to get the Prince to let Cas and the Winchesters go.

He could have just said screw it and let them get killed. Or just stayed out of it altogether and watched the show. Actively trying to save them meant putting his ass on the line, and he had nothing directly to gain from it, either. IMO it was actually a pretty big deal that he did that.

Bummer that Crowley was willing to do that, and even broke the lance and then left it with them, while meanwhile Mary was willing to risk everyone for the Colt.

Anyway, I think that he ultimately did it because he genuinely likes being on their side. IMO he sees them as winners, and he likes being on the winning team. And IMO he likes the idea of being one of "the good guys" -- even though being allied with the good guys is probably as close as he's capable of getting to that.

In any case, I think his motives were personal, not professional. As much of a schemer as Crowley is, IMO he really isn't that power hungry. I thought one of the most interesting things to come out of this episode was that he was so reluctant to become King of Hell, and that the thought had apparently not even occurred to him until the Prince brought it up.

I've always thought that Crowley liked the "Balance" of the Winchesters vs King Of Hell. His motives may be personal, but also pragmatic.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Maybe Dean told her about it when he gave her that update on his life when she first came back? We didn't see that conversation, but I was under the impression from the way the scene faded and returned that it was a lengthy and likely detailed one.

That would be a damn shame to leave that pretty friggin' big moment off screen. It's robbing the audience of some satisfaction.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I thought about this too. Continuity fail.  Unless they told Mary their whole life story and you know didn't bother to let the audience in on that little tidbit which would really suck.

I had to laugh at this catrox! At this point, we should just call it "CF", it happens so often!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Well, it's pretty likely that she would want to know how she died, so I can buy them telling her that; but I'd think the name Azazel would at most be a throwaway in the middle of much bigger revelations.  However, maybe the name of the demon that killed her might stick in her mind.  Still a little iffy to me, and I agree with @catrox14 that I'd've like to see at least some of that discussion--the highlights, at least, to know what they told her and what they left out, for whatever reasons.  

53 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

The non linear structure did nothing to enhance the story IMO.

Pulp Fiction cleverly weaved three different stories together by jumping around the timeline.  This episode simply jumped around the timeline for the sake of jumping around.

• Love 6
Just now, Dobian said:

Pulp Fiction cleverly weaved three different stories together by jumping around the timeline.  This episode simply jumped around the timeline for the sake of jumping around.

Yes, this is exactly how I thought about it.