Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Engine Of Change

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Why wasn't Lehzen instructed to knock after Victoria's marriage?  (I know, better for the show)

If Victoria and Albert were as blissfully in love as this show then they were very, very fortunate indeed.

• Love 5

I enjoyed seeing the replica of the brooch that Queen Elizabeth often wears. I think Albert gave it to Victoria for her wedding present. 

The downstairs staff was somewhat less annoying given that we saw them actually doing work to support the household, rather than twirling their mustaches. But I still don't care about any of them.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. You can totally tell that these later episodes are when Jenna and Tom started to fall in love in real life.

The train stuff was awesome. Imagine living in a time when automation (railroads, factories, telegraphs et. al) was in its infancy.

• Love 13

Yeah, I loved the train stuff too.  Seeing that kind of technology for the first time must have been exciting and thrilling.

Very much enjoyed the Albert and Peele interaction.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 10

For a good show, this episode really pushed the boundaries of the suspension of disbelief.  I can not believe that a chef and a lady's maid would dare have such a dinner, that they would not even think of it (okay maybe think of it), just ridiculous!

Edited by elle
  • Love 9

This episode was enjoyable.  I liked that Victoria felt comfortable enough to tell Albert that she was afraid of childbirth and afraid of the pain that she will endure.  I also like how Albert is kind to Victoria while also telling her the truth.  In the last episode, he told her that the only way to prevent having children was by being abstinent.  In this episode, he acknowledged that there would indeed be pain involved in childbirth. Albert manages to be supportive of Victoria without fudging the reality of whatever worries her.

• Love 5

Actually, there WERE polite English terms for pregnancy! 'In the family way' and 'in that interesting condition' had been used for over a hundred years by Victoria's reign. Moreover, Albert being a Continental noble WOULD have known  at least enough French to know 'enciente'.  I mean the  term was so widespread   among the populace that when ' I Love Lucy' had Lucy Ricardo being pregnant, CBS insisted that Ethel Mertz use the French term instead. If CBS was confident that the 1950's US American viewing public would know what 'enciente' was AND find it believable that Ethel Mertz would also know it, why would this New Millennial British production think a thoroughly educated Continental noble would have been ignorant of it- or for that matter that Victoria herself would have been ignorant of the first two English euphemisms? Sakes!

• Love 13
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My interest in this series has fallen steeply since Rufus Sewell's Lord M left. And wear the f*ck was Dash!

Shooting caged birds thrown off a tower, huh, Albert? Real sporting.

I'm not a fan of hunting regardless, but the form of hunting that was popular in Albert's principality was just barbaric.  Basically capture animals, give them no real chance to escape, and shoot and kill dozens of them.  The point of that form of hunting was to show off your "prowess" by showing how many you killed.  When British nobles learned of this form of hunting, they were horrified.  Though they shot and killed animals as well, they felt the accomplishment was in finding and killing an animal that was free to run (while being greatly aided by packs of dogs, of course).

• Love 2

Is it weird that I welled up a teeny bit during the Vicky-rides-the-train-and-waves-at-randos bit?  First, the light on JC's face was lovely. Second, we just haven't seen Vic out in the world much in this series, much to its detriment. Seeing her with her people is a balm.

Next ep: Peel and Albert devise the first version of Dungeons & Dragons. Nnnnnerds!

• Love 8

I enjoyed the episode and can't believe there is only one more left.  Scenes that were particularly delightful: 

• Albert discreetly touching his wife's hand in the opening scene 
  • The cuteness of the royal couple in bed discussing what they'd do if his regency was denied
  • Albert's sense of humor in the scene above
  • Lohlein and Jenkins ganging up on the snobby butler
  • Albert and Victoria having each other's back at the dinner with the Giffards
  • Francatelli's wooing of Skerrett, no matter how improbable and unrealistic the setting
  • Victoria breaking the news to Albert and his reaction to it
  • The return of that gorgeous white gown
  • Any scene showing someone's reaction to annoying Lehzen
  • The argument ending with Albert telling Victoria England was his country 

I liked how this episode showed the resistance the old guard continued to display toward the young monarch and her consort, the growing partnership between Albert and Peel, and Victoria and Albert. The subplot with the train was well done.  At last, the kitchen folk worked; although, I'm not sure why Brodie was so annoyed by Francatelli.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 6
42 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

I'm not a fan of hunting regardless, but the form of hunting that was popular in Albert's principality was just barbaric.  Basically capture animals, give them no real chance to escape, and shoot and kill dozens of them.  The point of that form of hunting was to show off your "prowess" by showing how many you killed.  When British nobles learned of this form of hunting, they were horrified.  Though they shot and killed animals as well, they felt the accomplishment was in finding and killing an animal that was free to run (while being greatly aided by packs of dogs, of course).

Both forms are barbaric as far as I'm concerned. Using a pack of dogs to run down and terrorize deer, fowl or whatever was no less sporting or genteel. 

I don't know about brandy and cream fighting nausea, but brandy and egg nog at Christmas is tradition at my house for no other reason than spreading the holiday cheer. LOL

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

At last, the kitchen folk worked; although, I'm not sure why Brodie was so annoyed by Francatelli.

Seemed like he was jealous, although he's clearly too young for Skerritt.  At the end, she touched him on his head to acknowledge him.

2 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Both forms are barbaric as far as I'm concerned. Using a pack of dogs to run down and terrorize deer, fowl or whatever was no less sporting or gentile. 

Pretty sure they were all gentiles.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

I wish this show had done a better job of developing the valet character working for Albert - his name is apparently Lohlein? And I wouldn't know that if not for this forum, that's how poorly some of these downstairs characters have been fleshed out. It seems like this character has potential and I loved the scene where he slapped that other butler for trying to make a fool out of his master. That's probably the first time I was ever interested in anything having to do with the servants.

Also, the scene between Victoria's mother and that duchess Earnst was interested in just felt pointless because both of these characters are such ciphers I've been given no reason to care about either of them.

The scenes between Albert and Victoria were great and I have a pretty good handle on Peele and Wellington, but rest of 'em need work.

• Love 3

There were some nice moments, as other have mentioned.  I did like how Mrs. Jenkins was having none of the butler's nonsense and telling Lohlein he was being tricked, how they bond together to make sure that HRH was not made to look a fool.  

I also liked seeing the mother of Queen Victoria in a nicer light.  She was trying to help her daughter the best way she could.  She also had good advice for the Duchess of Sutherland, very gently given.

I did feel sorry for Lehzen this episode.  She has a very fine line to walk, on the one hand she is Victoria's confidante but on the other she is her servant.  One moment she is cheering up Victoria about Peel, the next she is being lightly scolded about doing the same.  It would be too much for Victoria to tell Lehzen that Peel's status had changed.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, elle said:

I did feel sorry for Lehzen this episode.  She has a very fine line to walk, on the one hand she is Victoria's confidante but on the other she is her servant.  One moment she is cheering up Victoria about Peel, the next she is being lightly scolded about doing the same.  It would be too much for Victoria to tell Lehzen that Peel's status had changed.

Maybe I would feel sorry for Lehzen if she wasn't so high-handed in her treatment of the other servants.  But she is, so I don't.  Victoria's failure to tell Lehzen about Peel isn't the first time she's pulled rank on her, though. She's probably used to it even if she doesn't like it.  

I loved the scene of Victoria and Albert laughing in bed.  It am not ready for the last episode.  It feels too soon.  I still don't like the downstairs storylines especially the romance.  It's not Downton Abbey and the focus should be on Victoria.  I really don't care if her ladies maid is fallingin love.

• Love 5

Then, her mom tells her that she must eat all those organ meats for morning sickness? I nearly threw up my dinner at the thought of it.

Victoria could have reminded her mother that despite all this "mother knows best" nonsense, that the Duchess only managed to bear one small girl child...

And with the makeup job and ringletted hairstyle, I can't help but think that Victoria's mother looks like she's wearing a "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?" costume.

• Love 7

How is there only one episode left? There is so much left to the story! I don't want to wait until season 2, I've really enjoyed the last few episodes.

Victoria and Albert were really adorable this week, especially that scene of them in bed joking around about what Albert will do without Victoria. They were jest so cute. I also loved Victoria riding the train, with Albert running alongside of it, asking how she likes it. They both just seemed so happy.

So, in Germany, they used to put birds in cages and shoot them? Sounds both stupid AND mean. Albert does have really great aim though. I loved Victoria just smirking proudly as Albert shows up all the hoity toity Englishmen. Like "yeah, my mans got skills". And I also really loved everything with the train. That must have been so exciting to see/experience for the first time!

The downstairs stuff was a bit better then it has been, mainly because it was fun seeing Lohlei slap the crap out of that jerk servant, and Jenkins backing him up. Its was much more fun than the romance stuff back at home. That was a REALLY hard slap too! I guess being a German valet builds the upper body strength! Also, Lohlei is quite easy on the eyes...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

That must have been so exciting to see/experience for the first time!

And at such incredible speeds!  30 mph must have felt like she was flying.

I can't seem to sort out the below stairs stuff, not that i am not trying that hard. I thought the dresser didn't know how to do the fancy embroidery stitch.  Yet when the other lady in black (I can't learn their names, they all look alike) came back she said it was wonderful.  And what's with they young guy that hangs around the kitchen?  Does he have some sort of crush on the dresser?  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Brandy and cream for nausea?

Whether it works for nausea I don't know, but it sure had me craving a Brandy Alexander! Or at least an au poivre sauce for steak...

• Love 4
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

So, in Germany, they used to put birds in cages and shoot them?

First they open the cages so they will fly out, then they shoot them!

2 hours ago, PRgal said:

All I can think of is bacon and peas.  I don't know if it's all that weird a pregnancy craving though.

I think it was notable for not being what would be thought fit for the Queen's dinner, and for the fact that she was completely ignoring her mother's advice.  And Albert was going to eat the same thing!  I guess she craved salty (the bacon) and sweet (fresh peas, no doubt from a local garden, if not the palace garden.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 4

Did anyone here watch both Mr. Selfridge and The Paradise? If so, to me, Victoria is the equivalent of The Paradise. It's like a lite, poor man's version of the story of Victoria. There is just something weak tea about this entire production, despite all the candles and brocade...In The Crown, I never felt like it was a lite version. I'm talking about many things here - the dime store plastic princess tiara bullshit (I mean come the fuck on, they cant afford to rent highest quality paste bling?!), the fast paced everything with not much deep diving into any particular characters...something feels cheap to me with this, in the same way Paradise was a cheap knockoff on Selfridge. Anyone else, or just me?

• Love 7
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

My interest in this series has fallen steeply since Rufus Sewell's Lord M left. And wear the f*ck was Dash!

Shooting caged birds thrown off a tower, huh, Albert? Real sporting.

Dash died at the end of 1840 (a few months later then this episode was set, and just a few months before the baby was born).  Wiki tells me that Dash entered the Kent household as a gift from Conroy to the Duchess, who re-gifted the dog to her daughter two years later.

As to caged bird hunts, they still happen today.  And sometimes the hunters have the bonus of being drunk enough to shoot each other.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Did anyone here watch both Mr. Selfridge and The Paradise? If so, to me, Victoria is the equivalent of The Paradise. It's like a lite, poor man's version of the story of Victoria. There is just something weak tea about this entire production, despite all the candles and brocade...In The Crown, I never felt like it was a lite version. I'm talking about many things here - the dime store plastic princess tiara bullshit (I mean come the fuck on, they cant afford to rent highest quality paste bling?!), the fast paced everything with not much deep diving into any particular characters...something feels cheap to me with this, in the same way Paradise was a cheap knockoff on Selfridge. Anyone else, or just me?

It does feel a bit paint-by-numbers Queen Victoria's story.  Silly little girl queen whose brilliant husband was behind all of the discoveries we associate with the Victorian Era (except the first major railways opened in 1830).  One reason I liked We, Two was that it dared to suggest Victoria actually made some worthwhile contributions as well.  It's no coincidence one of the few moments I liked in this episode was when Victoria told Albert that she wanted to be the one to introduce rail to the public. 

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

Dash died at the end of 1840 (a few months later then this episode was set, and just a few months before the baby was born).  Wiki tells me that Dash entered the Kent household as a gift from Conroy to the Duchess, who re-gifted the dog to her daughter two years later.

I've been worrying about this since the first episodes.  It was unclear to me when she received Dash, but could tell he had been with her a long time before she became Queen and the end was inevitable.  I can imagine she was heartbroken!

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, gingerella said:

I am enjoying this show as light entertainment but no, it is not The Crown. It doesn't have the production values or the quality of writing.

I found it very ironic to have the subject of slavery touched on in this episode and some of the nobility getting on their moral high horse about it. What a bunch of hypocrites.   For a very long time - and certainly still during the Victorian Era - the British upper classes treated their own poor and lower class not much better than slaves.  They hanged or transported unfortunate and often starving people for poaching rabbits or stealing a loaf of bread.  And don't get me started on how the British behaved in their colonies. It really is unfair that some of this aristocratic British scum avoided the fate the French people dealt their aristocracy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

Dash died at the end of 1840 (a few months later then this episode was set, and just a few months before the baby was born).  

If there's a Dash death scene in the season finale I will not be happy. 

Spoiler

I've read that a Season 2 is in the works and it will jump forward a little in time, so there will be no more Dash. But maybe they can leave him alive and well for the end of Season 1?

• Love 1

So Victoria's chef invented the giant bob bon?

Next episode he invents the Awesome Blossom for Her Majesty.

Pretty horses...Strong ones, prancing ones, grey ones.

Every great home needs an inside drop off entrance for horse drawn carriages.

Prince Albert finally makes a friend...Sir Robert Peel and they had fun riding his choo-choo.

Edited by humbleopinion
More nonsense
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Brandy and cream for nausea? It made me want to be sick imagining that.

Then, her mom tells her that she must eat all those organ meats for morning sickness? I nearly threw up my dinner at the thought of it.

The one that got me was when the duchess said laughing is bad for the baby.  Really, some of these old wives tales were beyond ridiculous. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Like what happened to Louis the XVI's 10 year old son?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_XVII_of_France#1793

What about the countless French children who starved to death because of the cruelty and indifference of the aristocracy?  

"Liberté, égalité, fraternité" and "The Declaration of the Rights of Man and the Citizen" - the benefits to the many outweigh the blood shed it took to achieve these basic rights IMO .

Shrugs. I like watching shows like "Victoria" and "Downton Abbey for shallow reasons - and they are very pretty to look at - but I am very glad that because of events like the French Revolution European royality like Victoria was a figure head, not an absolute monarch.  When push comes to shove I will always root for the maid having to scrub floors and empty chamber pots over a pampered queen.

Speaking of maids - it took me until this episode but I am liking Nancy now. And I stopped disliking her admirer. Prior to this episode I was thinking of him less as an admirer than as a black mailer and a Victorian poster boy for sexual harassment.

• Love 4

Did anyone else think there was a scene missing when Brodie suddenly started yelling at Francatelli?  I figured there must be something missing.

I loved the budding bromance between Albert and Peele.  I hope we see more of that.  Albert needs friends who are no in the palace.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

Did anyone else think there was a scene missing when Brodie suddenly started yelling at Francatelli?  I figured there must be something missing.

Not sure, but that scene was added.  It's not in the U.K. version.

Although, I think it was two years earlier than the actual historic event, seeing Queen Victoria depicted riding on a train for the first time was quite amazing. It's lucky that Albert only got slightly sooty riding the engine itself as those coal-powered steam engines were notorious for belching sparks and cinders.  

• Love 2

30 mph might have been top speed, but with Albert running alongside the train, it must have been doing about 6. :-)

Do not care one jot for the below stairs folks.

And brandy and cream sounds yummy (although I don't think it would help for nausea, unless it was supposed to have a sedating effect).   Wonder how many of these upper class and royals were born with FAE, since their mothers drank all through pregnancy?

• Love 1

This episode was a bit boring.  But it was sweet when Victoria put Albert's hand on her belly while doing paperwork together.  However, didn't Victoria hate the whole pregnancy process beyond the pain/fear factor?  She didn't even want to see a pregnant woman as it disgusted her.  Amazing how she went on to have 9 children.

The slap was interesting I guess.  That German assistant is the only downstairs person that is remotely interesting.  Any bets next season there will be a love triangle between Albert's assistant, dresser and cook?  Ugh.  Why is this dresser so special?

So is anyone else's PBS station pre-empting the final episode next Sunday?  Guessing because its Academy Awards is on.  I mean its one episode - the final one - so we have to wait 2 weeks?  I know first world problems but this could have have premiered a week earlier and had the final episode on this week. 

15 minutes ago, PJ123 said:

So is anyone else's PBS station pre-empting the final episode next Sunday?  Guessing because its Academy Awards is on.  I mean its one episode - the final one - so we have to wait 2 weeks?  I know first world problems but this could have have premiered a week earlier and had the final episode on this week. 

Yes, my station is showing a marathon of all the previous episodes..

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3