Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E12: Cooking Away In Margaritaville

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Someone else did vanilla beef on TC, I can't remember the guys name, but he had a giant beard.  

It sounded absolutely disgusting.  But maybe its a thing.

Or maybe mexican vanilla has a different taste than the vanilla I'm thinking about.

I thought I remembered that too, but Dr Toothbrush didn't so I thought maybe I had dreamt it! Since Padma described Shirley's beef as having a whipped cream taste, I would guess it is close to non-Mexican vanilla. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

I thought I remembered that too, but Dr Toothbrush didn't so I thought maybe I had dreamt it! Since Padma described Shirley's beef as having a whipped cream taste, I would guess it is close to non-Mexican vanilla. 

LOL, I'd been trying to put that description out of my mind.....thanks  :P

On 2/16/2017 at 7:55 PM, susannot said:

And I will pause to remember, Blais, that the girl who beat you fair and square does wonders with goat in her successful Chicago restaurant empire.  My Navy son and I dined at Girl and The Goat and he said "she really knows what to do with goat."

It was the best meal I've ever had.  The goat carpaccio was amazing, the oysters were divine for my first time having them and the best green beans I've ever had in my entire life and I hate green beans.  

Richard Blais is annoying and I wish he would disappear from my tv forever.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, vmarsissmart said:

It was the best meal I've ever had.  The goat carpaccio was amazing, the oysters were divine for my first time having them and the best green beans I've ever had in my entire life and I hate green beans.  

Richard Blais is annoying and I wish he would disappear from my tv forever.  

OMG!! We had the exact same meal.  My son had the VERY LARGE serving of green beans with bacon sprinkled on them.  We also had Stephanie's fabulous desserts.

• Love 1
On 2/17/2017 at 10:54 AM, AriAu said:

The eye roll Tom gave Blais (that pompous, self important prick...I think that is his formal name)

I thought it was "whiny, whipped puppy dog".  But maybe that's just me.

I'm not a big fan of spirits, but when I do indulge I have them straight up.  In any mixed drink where everything else is there to mask the taste of the main ingredient, it doesn't matter if you use $100 a bottle Patron or $20 a bottle Cuervo silver.  So how this challenge was supposed to showcase the sponsor's product was a mystery to me.

Nonetheless, since we've been hollering at our TV "dump John!" every week since RW and probably before, we were good with it finally happening. 

• Love 4

- Haters will hate, but Padma looked great in that yellow dress.  I wouldn't have been able to maintain eye contacts had I been there :P

- Who sponsored the episode again? I only paid attention the first 200 times they mentioned the name

- Brooke looked cute when she was (a little bit?) drunk

- Sip, "That's $1500 right there" lol :D

- I would not want to drink Sheldon's cocktail either

- Blaise is a douche

• Love 13
4 hours ago, RealReality said:

Someone else did vanilla beef on TC, I can't remember the guys name, but he had a giant beard.  

It sounded absolutely disgusting.  But maybe its a thing.

Or maybe mexican vanilla has a different taste than the vanilla I'm thinking about.

Vanilla in a meat rub/sauce is not unheard of. Smoked vanilla bean is often a secret ingredient in bbq. I think Sylva accidentally grabbed vanilla flavoured agave which is a different thing entirely and would totally overpower a dish and likely contains imitation flavor. A tablespoon might be fine, cut with honey or blue agave but a whole bottle or two....yikes!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

The only guys I can remember with a beard right now are Josh and Kevin, I think.  If you can think of anything else that would be cool.  I'm not sold on Vanilla Beef, but given the ice cream flavors I've seen around here lately, I could see how that could be a nice recovery.  I've eaten worse. 

I meant make it into ice cream a la Chopped.  Flavor wise, it makes a tad more sense.

18 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

The only guys I can remember with a beard right now are Josh and Kevin, I think.  If you can think of anything else that would be cool.  I'm not sold on Vanilla Beef, but given the ice cream flavors I've seen around here lately, I could see how that could be a nice recovery.  I've eaten worse. 

I meant make it into ice cream a la Chopped.  Flavor wise, it makes a tad more sense.

Bacon ice cream sounds like it could be delicious.  While I don't have a sophisticated palate, it sounds like it might go better with a maple flavor?

After a google consult, I'm pretty sure it was Josh that had the vanilla beef I remember, and I feel he may have gone home for it.  

Speaking of interesting* tidbits, did you know that Kevin was in some movie called Serial Killer?**

* - very loose interpretation of the word "interesting"

** - source: Wikipedia, take with the requisite grain of salt :)

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Speaking of interesting* tidbits, did you know that Kevin was in some movie called Serial Killer?**

* - very loose interpretation of the word "interesting"

** - source: Wikipedia, take with the requisite grain of salt :)

I did not.  And now, I am very interested.  If that were to be an actual thing, I'd love it.  I'd also love to see some contestants from previous seasons come back for this finale as sous chefs or judges or even interested spectators...................

• Love 1
1 minute ago, sourpickles said:

I'd also love to see some contestants from previous seasons come back for this finale as sous chefs or judges or even interested spectators...................

I'd really like that, there are some contestants I'd love to see again.  Gregory is the first that comes to mind because I always had a soft spot for him and it broke my heart that he couldn't pull it together toward the end.  I'll always remember his crush on Woody Harrelson.  I'd love to see Kwame, and a host of other people.  Tiffany  was someone I really enjoyed, from Texas season I believe.  heck, it may even be a way to get manbun Phillip on my screen again so I can snark to my hearts content.

I think it would be a win/win.  The returning chefs could get recognition and we could hear updates about their ventures.  And the current cheftestants would be able to choose from some of the people they have seen on previous seasons.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, RealReality said:

LOL, I'd been trying to put that description out of my mind.....thanks  :P

Sorry about that :-D

I'd like to see Phillip again, too for snark purposes. John is a PITA, but he will always have a place in my heart for his Phillip snark a few weeks ago. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I'd like to see Phillip again, too for snark purposes. John is a PITA, but he will always have a place in my heart for his Phillip snark a few weeks ago. 

The dude that hosts Mythbusters: The Search looks very much like Philip.  My son the gherkin is a huge fan of that show and every week I stare at that guy in horror, thinking "snot on a rock, snot on a rock" LOL.  I was honestly not paying attention (must have been the relief at John going home), but can anyone tell me if they are going to stay in Mexico all through the finale and also how many episodes it will be split into?  Thanks!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I finally got to watch this, and Tom's face when Blais was blathering on about Brooke playing it safe with her dish is thus far the highlight of my weekend. 

Not only Tom's face but his body language silently said alot about his thoughts on Blais' bloviating throughout the judging.

I can't stand Blais and dismiss anything he has to say. His comments always have a personal element about him. Some dancing elf must love being personally brown nosed by Blais and that is why we are subjected to him. 

4 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Sorry about that :-D

Bite your tongue. I never want to see Phillip again nor John for that matter. There may be enough now to have a Top Chef Battle of the Jerks. I wouldn't watch the shark frenzy.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, sourpickles said:

The dude that hosts Mythbusters: The Search looks very much like Philip.  My son the gherkin is a huge fan of that show and every week I stare at that guy in horror, thinking "snot on a rock, snot on a rock" LOL.  I was honestly not paying attention (must have been the relief at John going home), but can anyone tell me if they are going to stay in Mexico all through the finale and also how many episodes it will be split into?  Thanks!

There are two more episodes, this Thursday (down to two)....and then the finale. 

I don't know whether they'll be moving again after this week or not.  That's kind of a cool thing about doing it in Mexico, though.  It would be like doing a finale in the "United States"...one episode in Georgia, one episode in Arizona or New Mexico, and one in the Pacific NorthWest (and apologies to any other regions of the US who have their own distinctive styles).  The point is to cook one's own great stuff, "inspired by" the local ingredients and traditions.  So this week they're out on the eastern shore, where the Atlantic seafood, and anatto and habaneros are prevalent.  Who knows where they'll go next if they go?  Oaxaca, mole negro is THE thing there, and grasshoppers, too.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Giselle said:

There may be enough now to have a Top Chef Battle of the Jerks. I wouldn't watch the shark frenzy.

I would!  With bells on.  It wouldn't even be hate watching, it'd be total glee! 

1 hour ago, Blonde Gator said:

There are two more episodes, this Thursday (down to two)....and then the finale. 

I don't know whether they'll be moving again after this week or not.  That's kind of a cool thing about doing it in Mexico, though.  It would be like doing a finale in the "United States"...one episode in Georgia, one episode in Arizona or New Mexico, and one in the Pacific NorthWest (and apologies to any other regions of the US who have their own distinctive styles).  The point is to cook one's own great stuff, "inspired by" the local ingredients and traditions.  So this week they're out on the eastern shore, where the Atlantic seafood, and anatto and habaneros are prevalent.  Who knows where they'll go next if they go?  Oaxaca, mole negro is THE thing there, and grasshoppers, too.

Thank you!  And thanks for the explanation, which I totally missed.....sounds like it'll be great.  Best top three in quite a while!

• Love 1
On 2/17/2017 at 9:46 AM, anniebird said:

The substitute teacher whom none of the kids like.

The substitute teacher who gets pranked wth the phony names on the attendance sheet and cluelessly asks the class "Who's Dick Hurtz?"

On 2/17/2017 at 8:43 AM, dleighg said:

I thought Brooke's defense of her cold dish was spot on. Why is applying heat to a piece of meat considered the hardest thing to do? 

It is a cooking competition, not a mixing a bowl of assorted fruits competition.

On 2/17/2017 at 11:27 AM, WineCheeseChocolat said:

I don't get the Brooke hate based on her being "egotistical." She's a talented chef who is confident in that. Male chefs don't get slammed for being confident, or even arrogant (see: Stefan; Fabio who everyone thought were so charming). The culinary world is still such a male pissing contest and I've seen too many examples of female chefs not standing up for themselves or second-guessing their food that Brooke's confidence is refreshing.

I totally disagree with your take that only arrogant female chefs are being called out. On this thread alone there must be over a dozen posts calling out Blais for the pompous ass he is. There have been numerous other examples, between Tesar, Katsuji, and some of the judges. It has nothing to do with picking on females. Sometimes an arrogant jerk is just an arrogant jerk, no matter their sex.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Giselle said:

Bite your tongue. I never want to see Phillip again nor John for that matter. There may be enough now to have a Top Chef Battle of the Jerks. I wouldn't watch the shark frenzy.

I am so in for a battle of the jerks. Make it happen Bravo!

• Love 6
On 2/17/2017 at 11:51 AM, essexjan said:

Ugh, Brooke. Fix.

I think what sank John is that he said he'd researched the local food scene and my take on it is that he had a set of dishes in mind that he thought would be authentic and real, and tried to fit them around whatever brief they were given.  I'm sorry to see him go. I thought Shirley was toast because of the vanilla.

So now it's ABB for me - Anyone But Brooke.

I have to join the group that doesn't understand this.  It is pretty clear that Brooke is a very talented chef, who had one bad moment.  It certainly appears that the other chefs feel she is still the one to beat.  That speaks to her talent. I'll be happy with Sheldon or Brooke.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, JES004 said:

It certainly appears that the other chefs feel she is still the one to beat.

It was nice hearing everyone talk about each other as worthy competitors, and I, too, noticed several, "Uh oh - Brooke is back on her game; she's going to be hard to beat" style commentary from at least two, if not all three (I don't specifically remember John), of the others. 

I think all three have an equal shot at winning, which - combined with the fact I like what I see of all three of them as people, in addition to enjoying watching them cook - makes for a good finale.  I'll be sad to lose whomever we lose to get to the final two, but I'll also be happy for whomever wins.

Shifting gears, I liked the little glimpse we got of how the tequila is made; no wonder my Patron is so expensive.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

The substitute teacher who gets pranked wth the phony names on the attendance sheet and cluelessly asks the class "Who's Dick Hurtz?"

HAHAHAHA, Dorothy on Golden Girls "Jim Shoo?????" Yeah, I know, off topic, I'll slink away now.......

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

As I recall from Chopped, cherimoya seeds are poisonous - kind of the plant version of fugu.

I had to smile when Katsuji added it (not the seeds) to John's perfect margarita.  Snark.

File that under you learn something new every day.  And, I think it was the TH before last, I was watching Chopped and that was Katsuji's appearance!!!  I was almost thrilled, but I was so sick at the time I have no idea if he won.  Maybe second?

44 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

HAHAHAHA, Dorothy on Golden Girls "Jim Shoo?????" Yeah, I know, off topic, I'll slink away now.......

You will always get my love for a Golden Girls reference.  I have all the seasons on DVD, and I AM a Dorothy.

3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I am so in for a battle of the jerks. Make it happen Bravo!

LOL, there would be so much pretentious plating and so many foams.  It would be GLORIOUS!

• Love 5

What Katsuji was putting on the rim of the margarita glasses was chamoy (a fruit and chilis candyish thing) rather than cherimoya, at least I think so.  (Happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.)  If I'm right, that means we don't have to call in Hercule Poirot.

All this Top Chef time in Mexico, I've been remembering Gregory Gourdet's mole from his meal in the finale of his season.  People kept talking about how wonderful it was, and oh, man, I would love to try it.  I wonder if there will be more spectacular moles this time.  

Edited by marybennet
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, marybennet said:

What Katsuji was putting on the rim of the margarita glasses was chamoy (a fruit and chilis candyish thing) rather than cherimoya, at least I think so.

Thank you!  I was thinking this also since it's  Mexican  and hot/salty/sweet/sour.  It would seem to fit the bill perfectly but not being familiar at all with cherimoya I wouldn't bet my paycheck on my opinion - the closed captions on Bravo said cherimoya.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Thank you!  I was thinking this also since it's  Mexican  and hot/salty/sweet/sour.  It would seem to fit the bill perfectly but not being familiar at all with cherimoya I wouldn't bet my paycheck on my opinion - the closed captions on Bravo said cherimoya.

I still wouldn't swear that I'm right, but I will swear that the closed captioning on Bravo is a truly untrustworthy thing!  :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, marybennet said:

I still wouldn't swear that I'm right, but I will swear that the closed captioning on Bravo is a truly untrustworthy thing!  :)

You're right! Chamoy is pickled fruit and chile. Usually apple, pear, mango, etc. Cherimoya is yummy but more of a creamy texture like a banana. 

marybennet: 1 | Braco CC: 0

• Love 2

Winning the quickfire: $10,000

Winning the elimination challenge: $7,500 bottle of Patron

The look on John's face when he saw it was Brooke coming back from LCK: Priceless

Padma: Put your own twist on a margarita to pair with your meal...

John: I made a traditional margarita....

Bubye John, and Blaise STFU. So glad Brooke is back, happy with the final 3.

• Love 9
On 2/16/2017 at 11:37 PM, Blonde Gator said:

LOL....they don't refrigerate eggs there

Eggs don't need to be refrigerated unless they've been washed. The hen lays the egg with a protective covering on it called the bloom - which keeps all air, bacteria and other stuff out of the egg.  Once you've washed that off, anything can get in.  The US washes & refrigerates primarily because of the distance involved in shipping eggs to all the stores.  Take a look at your store eggs sometime - they are usually 2 months old by the time they get there.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Winning the quickfire: $10,000

Winning the elimination challenge: $7,500 bottle of Patron

The look on John's face when he saw it was Brooke coming back from LCK: Priceless

Padma: Put your own twist on a margarita to pair with your meal...

John: I made a traditional margarita....

Bubye John, and Blaise STFU. So glad Brooke is back, happy with the final 3.

Not only did John make the most basic margarita ,  one that would be dull even at Applebees, but he has shown all season that he ignores challenge requirements and almost always goes for basic dishes. 

Don't forget that $7,500 price for the Patron is a suggested retail price, and obviously costs the company much less.

BTW, last weeks preview for this episode showed a background glimpse of Brooke cooking, so we knew before the unsurprising reveal that she was scripted to be the returnee.

i agree about Blais, I now hit mute when he is yammering away. He is a blithering idiot, and it was funny to watch Tom as Blais spoke. Although, you would think that as Executive Producer Tom would have final say as to whether that clown is even cast in the show, unless I am missing something.

10 hours ago, sourpickles said:

File that under you learn something new every day.  And, I think it was the TH before last, I was watching Chopped and that was Katsuji's appearance!!!  I was almost thrilled, but I was so sick at the time I have no idea if he won.  Maybe second?

Katsuji won. 

59 minutes ago, MajorWoody said:

BTW, last weeks preview for this episode showed a background glimpse of Brooke cooking, so we knew before the unsurprising reveal that she was scripted to be the returnee.

I think most people have concluded that was Emily, not Brooke from a screen cap that has been posted in the previous week that got more of her face.

• Love 1

Spoiler alert!  In the final episode Shirley cooks an Asian broth with noodles. Sheldon does a take on a Filipino dish. Brooke cooks something highly creative and wins the title  

I can't be wrong that's how it's gone all season. 

Edited by ChiefWiggum9-1-2
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, MelinaBallerina said:

Eggs don't need to be refrigerated unless they've been washed. The hen lays the egg with a protective covering on it called the bloom - which keeps all air, bacteria and other stuff out of the egg.  Once you've washed that off, anything can get in.  The US washes & refrigerates primarily because of the distance involved in shipping eggs to all the stores.  Take a look at your store eggs sometime - they are usually 2 months old by the time they get there.

I didn't say they were unsafe, I said you can order them scrambled, or scrambled.  They don't hold up to flipping.  I'm not sure about poaching, as I don't usually poach eggs for breakfast. 

1 hour ago, ChiefWiggum9-1-2 said:

Spoiler alert!  In the final episode Shirley cooks an Asian broth with noodles. Sheldon does a take on a Filipino dish. Brooke cooks something highly creative and wins the title  

I can't be wrong that's how it's gone all season. 

Wait!!!  What???   Asian broth with noodles just sounds like it would be a big hug!  A Filipino dish?  Sounds like it would be something that maybe grandparents' would make while growing up.  A creative dish?  Sounds like something that wouldn't necessarily fit in with the guidelines the contestants were given.  :D :D :D

Truthfully I think I'll be happy with any of the three winning and hurt a little bit for the two that don't win.  Just me.

• Love 9

I bought a pint of Silver Patron, (fifths are very expensive) and a fifth of 100% agave blanco in a less expensive brand (not bargain basement), Elspolon from Mexico was recommended.  I did a taste test (neat) and Patron won by a long shot.  It is smooth and peppery at the same time.  Yum!  I will continue with Patron when my stash is gone, price be damned, it was that good.  It doesn't matter if you are making Margaritas, clearly, but I drink spirits neat.  I love the ritual of using a cordial glass and just sipping.  :^) 

I googled tequila and found 100% agave blanco and silver tequilas  are also gluten free.  Just passing that on though it is not a concern of mine, it is to a friend who gets migraines and was told to go gluten free for a period of time to see if it helped her. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Ellee said:

Truthfully I think I'll be happy with any of the three winning and hurt a little bit for the two that don't win.  Just me.

That is why I wish there was at least one newbie chef in the finals, because I've already felt bad for Shirley, Sheldon, and Brooke.  All are very talented and all have come far on both their seasons......to come back and lose again would be horrid, and obviously that is going to happen.  That's why I can't claim to understand Casey!  THREE times, and counting............

16 minutes ago, sourpickles said:

That is why I wish there was at least one newbie chef in the finals, because I've already felt bad for Shirley, Sheldon, and Brooke.  All are very talented and all have come far on both their seasons......to come back and lose again would be horrid, and obviously that is going to happen.  That's why I can't claim to understand Casey!  THREE times, and counting............

Makes you wonder if there isn't a little cash incentive for the returning chefs.  There are other shows that negotiate with their returnees.  I don't know.  Also maybe the exposure while they are on Top Chef increase their business(es) or other engagements so much that the title while wanted is almost secondary. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, MajorWoody said:

Not only did John make the most basic margarita ,  one that would be dull even at Applebees, but he has shown all season that he ignores challenge requirements and almost always goes for basic dishes. 

Don't forget that $7,500 price for the Patron is a suggested retail price, and obviously costs the company much less.

i agree about Blais, I now hit mute when he is yammering away. He is a blithering idiot, and it was funny to watch Tom as Blais spoke. Although, you would think that as Executive Producer Tom would have final say as to whether that clown is even cast in the show, unless I am missing something.

If someone gave me a 7,500 bottle of anything, my next move would be to list it on EBay.  Do not stop, do not pass go, but collecting my sweet 7500 clams.  Heck, even if I got 5000 for it, I would be happy.

But then again I don't drink, so what would I get, a 7500 bottle of diet coke?

• Love 1

The final 3 are all deserving of the win.  If you stay long enough to get some recognition you will benefit.  Carla didn't win, and look at her now!  Others have experienced heightened success in their restaurants, Sam and and Tiffany to name two.  

Sheldon's small and simple restaurant, in Hawaii, will most likely experience a boon whether he wins or not.  I expect him to expand his menu and possibly move to a larger space.  Shirley, too, though I have not longed to taste anything she has made.  I don't even know if she has a restaurant or where she lives!  

I expect to see more of Jim though he didn't make if very far.  Very compelling man.  Sometimes it is just who you are.  Carla came in second but I bet she would be on The Chew even had she ranked lower.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Ellee said:

Makes you wonder if there isn't a little cash incentive for the returning chefs

There is. I saw someone's SAG/AFTRA check they received for being on the show. And any reruns, they get residuals.

Edited by cooksdelight
  • Love 4

Did anyone else notice Tesar said he made it to the top three?  No you didn't, asshole, you made it to the final four.

I think John was justified in saying that.  He, Shirley and Sheldon were the top three who earned their way to the finals.  It wasn't until Brooke came back from LCK that they became the final four.  Maybe it's semantics but it does seem to me that there's a difference.

• Love 8

I swear to god, if I ever see John again, will personally hunt him down and strangle him.  I hate him.  He's a total punk.  I would have totally sabotaged him.  And John, dang it, wear a dang headband so every meal isn't sweat soaked.  I saw seat splash in every dish he cooked! Way more disgusting than reusing the spoon.  *shudder John sweat

Sheldon and Shirley for the win from me.  I think brooke is fine but I prefer the others to her. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

And any reruns, they get residuals.

Is that also true for, say, me watching it on Hulu? (I'm currently watching Shirley's first season on Hulu when I exercise). I'm happy to give these guys some extra $ tangentially.