Type keyword(s) to search

I Want To Be Alone: This Season vs Other Seasons

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

A place to discuss the show in general:

• Compare seasons, contestants, and locations
  • What we have learned about the rules of the show?
  • How does the editing affect your view of the participants?
  • Can anyone last beyond Fowler's 86 days?  Could someone actually last a year?
  • Should anything about the show be changed?
  • Speculation about future locations

I would love to see an interview with the producers of this show.  What have they learned over 3 seasons?  What has surprised them? Are they interested in what the viewers think?

I remember back in the Season 1 discussion that someone commented that this was a "quiet" show, no hokey commentators, just the voices of the contestants and the facts posted on the screen.  I really appreciate that they've kept that format and not gone for anything more sensational. Can you imagine this show with the guy who does the voice-overs on Curse of Oak Island?

• Love 5

I take a perverse satisfaction as a lady who needs to lose a couple of pounds, that I could win this show highhandedly, even with no survival skills to speak of.

"Why qtpye, even after being on a frigid island with no food for three months, you have somehow managed to gain five pounds."

• Love 15
On 3/2/2017 at 0:14 PM, qtpye said:

I take a perverse satisfaction as a lady who needs to lose a couple of pounds, that I could win this show highhandedly, even with no survival skills to speak of.

"Why qtpye, even after being on a frigid island with no food for three months, you have somehow managed to gain five pounds."

LOL, @qtpye, you and I definitely think alike, I've thought the same thing about myself!

• Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, Canada said:

If there isn't a Diet Pepsi factory hidden in those woods, I wouldn't even turn up!

And an ice machine.  

The most camping I will do these days is a motel without cable TV

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TVJunkee said:

And an ice machine.  

The most camping I will do these days is a motel without cable TV

No cable???  Freak.  Next you'll be saying it's okay to not have room service.

• Love 5

My husband and I have a mini REI in the basement. Between his backpacking trips (Grand Canyon, Denali, John Muir Trail, Yosemite), my car camping trips, our joint car camping trips, and now the family car camping trips we are very well stocked. Think three different single person tents, a three person tent and an 8 person tent. A foam mattress, two lightweight mouth blown up air mattresses, and a battery operated queen size air mattress. You know, the basics. Our four year old is asking to go car camping, he likes the pudgie pies and smores and hiking.

That said, there is no way in hell I would ever do this show. I would be dead in a week. Dead, dead, dead.

• Love 6

Being alone would be the easiest part. I'd probably perform entire Broadway musicals for my own amusement. Hamilton, Evita, Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ Superstar, Rent. Of course, the whole food/shelter thing would not be happening, LOL.

• Love 4

I just saw an ad on the History Channel that the next season is going to be in Vancouver Island again and involve a slightly new format - Teams.  Ugh, that doesn't sound promising.  I hope they aren't messing up this show.  Why fix something if it ain't broke?

• Love 3

They can name the spin-off "Alone Together" (like some lame sitcom)

Some of the previous contestants have had difficult demeanors by themselves, let alone if they needed to interact with "team-mates". As cooksdelight points out, it will be an entirely different show, resembling other group survival shows and abandoning the essence of "Alone".

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I just saw an ad on the History Channel that the next season is going to be in Vancouver Island again and involve a slightly new format - Teams.  Ugh, that doesn't sound promising.  I hope they aren't messing up this show.  Why fix something if it ain't broke?

Next they'll bring in a narrator and hire a musical director! Constant babble babble in the background.

• Love 1

Aarrgghh! NO! To be alone you can't have a team. Whether it means in the camp together or competing as a group in separate areas it still changes what alone means. TPTB need to stay out of their own way, and not screw up what they've created. 

• Love 3

I've asked this before about other shows, and I'll ask it again here.... why must shows screw around with a formula that works???  And I agree with all of you that having teams in a show called Alone is just ridiculous and stupid. 

• Love 2

I watch the history channel for other shows and I have not seen an ad for i.Was it a casting ad because they are still casting.  Why would they run an ad so far in advance the show is not even in the can yet. Sorry for being a doubting thomas, but perhaps it was for some other show. 

ETA It's OK snarkle puss, we will know when we know. 

Edited by holly4755
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 4/29/2017 at 4:05 PM, holly4755 said:

I watch the history channel for other shows and I have not seen an ad for i.Was it a casting ad because they are still casting.  Why would they run an ad so far in advance the show is not even in the can yet. Sorry for being a doubting thomas, but perhaps it was for some other show. 

ETA It's OK snarkle puss, we will know when we know. 

I'm pretty sure it was for "Alone" because of the distinctive music and the big "Alone" logo on the screen like they do for the show.  It was one of those "coming soon" things where they don't tell you when it's going to air, so I have no idea whether they were talking about next season or some unspecified future season.

ETA:  I am not the only person who saw it - See this bushcraft forum:

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/alone-season-4.195432/

Edited by Snarklepuss

So  the question remains are they casting now for different people to be teams? I have to believe they are not filming now because they would have had to drop them off in the winter the hardest time to survive and it gets easier as spring approaches.  I wonder what that means with season 4 reaching "new heights" ( in a previous statement in written news). 

thanks for the link. 

21 minutes ago, holly4755 said:

So  the question remains are they casting now for different people to be teams? I have to believe they are not filming now because they would have had to drop them off in the winter the hardest time to survive and it gets easier as spring approaches.  I wonder what that means with season 4 reaching "new heights" ( in a previous statement in written news). 

thanks for the link. 

We have to remember all the elaborate phoney teasers from the past. My gut reaction when I heard "teams" was WTH, they ruining it. Then I remember charging wolf, a whole season of capsized canoe, etc. As for the time of year, starting in winter, and all that - well they could be going for another southern hemisphere location - Africa, Australia - maybe Gilligan's Island. I would hate to see a location with another freaking parasite stealing a food source like the red tide or plague carrying fleas. One of my major complaints with the whole N&A show is how they continually plop folks down where malaria or some other preventable tropical disease runs rampant - then deny contestants the preventative meds - or even long sheelve/pants! Course, at least on Alone they are paid something if they win.

Well, looking forward to the new season, but not going to put much faith in the teasers.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:14 PM, ramble said:

Aarrgghh! NO! To be alone you can't have a team. Whether it means in the camp together or competing as a group in separate areas it still changes what alone means. TPTB need to stay out of their own way, and not screw up what they've created. 

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:42 AM, SRTouch said:

Next they'll bring in a narrator and hire a musical director! Constant babble babble in the background.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:52 AM, Snarklepuss said:

Yeah, I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing on the screen - There is no "Alone" in "Team".  I just don't get it.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:07 AM, ProfCrash said:

umm Teams? On a show titled "Alone"?

Yeah, there is nothing good about this.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:07 AM, cooksdelight said:

Teams????? ARRGGHHHH!!! Just like most reality shows, they are going to totally fuck it up.

If this is true, they might as well go all the way.  Give all the contestants tacky McMansions / bad plastic surgery and rename the show  "Real Housewives of Vancouver Island".

• Love 4

I wonder if they'll choose the contestants from some of the previous seasons that tapped out for reasons that with a partner they could have gone longer? Or a contestant that had a medical emergency but otherwise would have been able to stay longer. hmmmm

(edited)
9 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

For what it's worth, I can't find anything online about next season having teams. 

Neither can I (save for that comment on that bushcraft forum), but I saw the promo again 2 days ago!

Edited by Snarklepuss
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Neither can I (save for that comment on that bushcraft forum), but I saw the promo again 2 days ago!

Snarkle, I saw the same promo and I could not believe my eyes.  It was very short and vague, but it definitely said there would be teams.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

In the season following this one, there will be teams but everyone will also be naked.  

And, let me guess, they'll sit around til they look like straving refugees and loose a third of their body weight. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure I agree that the show was perfect as it was. I'm on the fence about having teams, but it was starting to get a little less interesting watching people slowly starve until they tapped out. I'll keep an open mind about the new format.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Subrookie said:

I'm not sure I agree that the show was perfect as it was. I'm on the fence about having teams, but it was starting to get a little less interesting watching people slowly starve until they tapped out. I'll keep an open mind about the new format.

I'm with you.  A lot will depend on how the teams are formed.  Will this be two people who've camped together for years and know each other's skills?  Or will it be two strangers (like N&A), which will put the focus on the interpersonal relationship instead of actually surviving for as long as possible in the woods.  A team format opens the possibility of longer stays.  Could be interesting.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Subrookie said:

Feel the same.   Dave's starvation and mental state was disturbing.  Pulling Cassie was probably the right call too, but when there is 500K at stake I'm not sure how I felt about a bush assessment making that call.  

Callie dropping out when it appeared she was on top of her game;   questions about who and why they were there were building up from previous seasons. 

I'm having a hard time imagining the team game as an endurance challenge and how it can be "Alone"  but I'll keep an open mind for the sake of new entertainment.    Seeing how the N&A people are so lost without their partner has often brought to mind the 'Alone" challenge and how a partner for them would be the icing on the cake of their other 10 "luxury items" as compared  to N&A ers

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 3:55 PM, Subrookie said:

So I guess they think it will be more interesting watching two people slowly starve until they tap out?  I'm having a hard time picturing how this team thing is going to work.  I think they could have made other changes to the rules to make things more interesting without basically abandoning the "Alone" concept.

Perhaps they think two people would give each other a "reality check" when things get rough.  Or that they can help each other because "two can survive better than one".  But how would it work then if one team member wants to tap out before the other?  I'm wondering if one person from each team will end up toughing it out at the end alone anyway.

• Love 3

I think no other season matched the first one with Alan. He now has a business of teaching people how to survive in the wilderness. I don't know of another participant who has capitalized on their time on the show the way he has. Last season was sort of meh for me, and maybe for others. If anyone knows a ratings breakdown from season to season, I'd be interested in knowing what the numbers were.

Because a ratings slip is the only thing I can think of for wanting to change the format of the show. Producers seem to flip out over a one-number dip and do nutty things to fix it.

• Love 2

There are ways to change the show and keep it a solo adventure. I think they could allow for a food package of rice and beans or jerky or whatever once a week after the first month. Or start the show earlier in the spring so that the contestants have more time to harvest and store food for the late fall/winter. Teams makes no sense for a show that is suppose to be about individual people surviving.

Dave was in trouble because he was an idiot. He had food and was hoarding it instead of eating. He had a large stash of food but made a strategic mistake of hoarding it for the future and forgetting about short term care. That was on his approach to the game and not Production.

I have no problem with Callie being pulled, she should have been. I do have a problem that the final winner came down to who had the largest amount of body fat to lose and not actual survival skills. They insist on starting the game in the fall, when harvesting food is starting to be a challenge. An earlier start time would allow the people who can go far to harvest and store food. The people who are going to tap out because of accidents, loneliness, and being bored will still happen but we could avoid the starvation element.

• Love 4

If they started early in the spring AND gave contestants an option as one of their 10 items to take seeds, that could be an interesting twist . . . I'm with those who are wondering why a show called "Alone" is morphing into "Dual Survival."

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

If they started early in the spring AND gave contestants an option as one of their 10 items to take seeds, that could be an interesting twist . . . I'm with those who are wondering why a show called "Alone" is morphing into "Dual Survival."

glad I read to the end of the comments, you and I had the same idea. My thought was they can take some food sources and if they chose to take beans they could plant those in the spring and have a food source for a while. I'm excited for the show to come on, not sure about the partners but I'll give it a chance.

• Love 1