Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: 3:00pm - 4:00pm

paigow

Fully engaged on the main plot, kudos to the Senator for figuring out his dad's an asshole so quickly. It's almost as if he knows what show he's on.

The Chechen plot and Nicole & Isaac, on the other hand, are like two cougar plots for the price of one.

I think this show lost me killing that kid. It was unnecessarily brutal. 

Rebecca and Andy should be tried for treason. I cannot believe that they gave the real plans to Grimes after everything that he did. Carter is a blind fool, but I expect better from her.

At least, the truth about the father came out quickly.

• Love 2

Starkwood: Jon Voight's private army from Day 7! So there is our second original 24 refrence.

So is this season supposed to take place somewhere around Washington. D.C?

Edited by marinw
  • Love 2

I think it is supposed to take place primarily in DC but is the high school also in that area? I guess it's a real world tragic event which made me think it was Colorado but I doubt it is.

I found it interesting that Henry referred to "ISIL." And the way he said it made it sound more like a dishwashing liquid than ever. "ISIL" never caught on, dude, no matter how much Obama tried to make it stick. It's either "ISIS" or "IS."

Aisha had one hard noggin to immediately recover from that rather violent encounter with a crowbar/wrench/whatever. I was really hoping Nicole would lay her out flat by a hubcap. Oh well. I guess they want Isaac to finish her off.

Is it OK to speculate here? From the very first establishing of the family unit I suspected that John was stolen as a baby by Henry from somewhere like Argentina or Chile, his biological parents having been among "The Disappeared."

Edited by TimWil
  • Love 1

Legacy picked it up this episode. Every storyline was trotting along in a good way.

So Day 7 got a shoutout via Starkwood. Had to look it up for the specifics. 

John solving the situation before Rebecca was hilarious. But as was pointed out above, he knows what show he is on.

I always like the reverence shown for the first time our hero enters CTU in a season. Like with Jack, Carter enters and he takes a moment to take it all in, breath, get some accolades from his rag tag crew before he's launched into his next story arc.

Loved that Eric was SO over Ben...and then as predicted he broke Ben out of CTU. ::facepalm::

Mullins is having to carry the 'by the book' stick to be an antagonist to Eric, but seriously, he wasn't wrong. Rebecca even called Eric out and Eric admitted his guilt was a factor with Ben. Mullins really could've frozen Rebecca out after her stunt, but he's brought her in when technically he is in charge.

Regarding Rebecca and Andy being tried for treason for the schematics....Chloe, Bill, Jack, Michelle, and Tony have allllll done worse.

Guess Andy isn't pining too hard since he didn't check on Locke in the infirmary after he was shot (albeit he was saved by his vest).

Someone pointed out how the hell does CTU NOT have the Bauer protocols for when an insider cripples CTU to break out a prisoner? He may be presumed dead and/or in a Russian prison but you never know...

Isacc is the MVP for the best bluff ever. Nicole Carter continues to show she can hang as a drug kingpin's moll and/or the wife of an Army Ranger/soon to be CTU agent. I know it couldn't happen, but it would've been hilarious if the cops that arrested Nicole had been the same ones Carter kidnapped earlier.

Drew surviving only to be killed off like that was disappointing. I would've preferred his mother walking in on the attempt and beating her ass where she's caught and Drew is able to spill all. Alas, she got him in the end.

We saw the seal of the President! Do we know who is playing him/her? Wonder if it'll be a name actor or if the character will be related to someone we know.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

Drew surviving only to be killed off like that was disappointing. I would've preferred his mother walking in on the attempt and beating her ass where she's caught and Drew is able to spill all. Alas, she got him in the end.

We saw the seal of the President! Do we know who is playing him/her? Wonder if it'll be a name actor or if the character will be related to someone we know.

Drew is ths season's version of Kim's friend in Day 1 who survived a number of calamaties included being hit by a car only to be killed in the hospital.

I think the current sitting POTUS was referred to as "him" but I may be confusing this show with Homeland, as I am wont to do.

• Love 2

The show has finally picked up and I am becoming slowly interested. I still don't know who is who, exactly.

I did like the behold the wonder that is CTU moment.

I also did like that the Senator/formerly President Santos figured out his father in law wasn't on the up-and-up.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, marinw said:

Starkwood: Jon Voight's private army from Day 7! So there is our second original 24 refrence.

I caught that one too! Loved it, a reference to those guys who were not only villains but rather villains with a hard-on. Their logo was crosshairs aimed at the entire goddamn world!

2 hours ago, ffnogoodnik said:

Why didn't they create a set of fake plans for Eric to use??

My thoughts exactly, in fact why doesn't CTU have elegant fake plan sets for everything since this seems to happen to them all the time? Just like the sleeper cells list, this new MacGuffin will be hot-potatoed around from villain to villain for hours while our heroes show up a minute too late.

1 hour ago, marinw said:

Drew is ths season's version of Kim's friend in Day 1 who survived a number of calamaties included being hit by a car only to be killed in the hospital.

That was one of the most harsh things I've ever seen on TV, alongside Day 6's moment of Morris getting a drill to the shoulder. That poor girl survived so much, went through major surgery and then got suffocated by some dude we weren't sure (except for the fact that he was played by Richard Burgi) was a bad guy. It was a moment that made me want to abandon this series altogether. Tonight's episode wasn't as harsh because terror-girl went there with the specific idea of killing the dude. And FWIW he might even survive because he is right there in an emergency room.

1 hour ago, Frozendiva said:

I did like the behold the wonder that is CTU moment.

The thing that stood out to me there was the memorial to the fallen. Twenty stars but spread out between two big air conditioners or access tunnels or something. You're gonna need a bigger wall.

Edited by dwmarch
  • Love 2

I'm guessing the Senator was very aware that his father pulls sxxx frequently and that things generally turn South on his stuff.  From here on out I'm referring to the father as Cliff Barnes.  

Carter is unbelievablely naive and trusting.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, marinw said:

So is this season supposed to take place somewhere around Washington. D.C?

Yes, this takes place in Washington DC. Home of CTU headquarters, the Senate where the Senator works, the Washington DC police that arrested Nicole.

• Love 1

I still find it very standard boilerplate and like cut out pieces from the original 24. I keep waiting for it to get more interesting, but I don't know if it will.  There is a noticeable lack of chemistry with the new cast with the big exception of Smits and McRaney, whose confrontation scene was by far the best thing about the episode.  I was fascinated watching it that they are so close in age. I guess Jimmy is playing at least 15 years younger than he is in real life.

Lots of facepalms and out right silliness abound from Eric so willingly taking Grimes back out into the field, Andy again doing Rebecca's dirty work just because to nurses and doctors not rushing in to try and save Drew. And I guess Amira got out of there with nobody noticing.    

Do not care about Issac and Nicole about to cheat on Eric.

Edited by vb68
5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

That was one of the most harsh things I've ever seen on TV, alongside Day 6's moment of Morris getting a drill to the shoulder.

IMHO, the harshest thing I've seen on 24 is Jack returning from China just to be handed off to a terrorist. 

5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

The thing that stood out to me there was the memorial to the fallen. Twenty stars but spread out between two big air conditioners or access tunnels or something. You're gonna need a bigger wall.

Or a Bill Buchanan Memorial Library.

As others have pointed out, this show pays very little attention to medical accuracy. At the start of the hour, Grimes is being taken to CTU via gurney and ambulance, and now he is up running around with Eric.

9 hours ago, marinw said:

I knew that sounded familiar!

Overall I'm liking the show, and I didn't think I would because I was a huge 24 fan and set myself up  to be disappointed in any "remake".  But I like that it's staying true to the original format. 

Also noticed last night that Keifer Sutherland is one of the executive producers.

The projects parkour was kind of funny to me.

Carter is unbelievablely naive and trusting.

IKR? I'm more impressed by Nicole at this point. She seems to have a lot more street smarts than her husband. And is it me or has Isaac the ex-boyfriend drug dealer gotten hotter in a few hours?

I also did like that the Senator/formerly President Santos figured out his father in law wasn't on the up-and-up.

Gerald McRaney is Jimmy Smits' dad. And yes, I'm glad Smits was able to quickly figure out what was going on, but it's going to be a tough fight to get the truth out of him in front of others, what with the uncle scheming in the background as well.

Yeah, killing that poor high school kid was horrible. I hate that entire story line and do fervently hope that both the Terror Teen and her teacher/lover die. They're both disgusting.

Last week, several people pointed out that so far, there isn't any character or characters in which they feel invested and thus, make the show a compelling watch. Jack and Chloe were two prime examples of characters that viewers truly bought into, hook, line, and sinker, and that made for some good viewing. I would tend to agree...I think I like Jimmy Smits' character, but that may be more my feeling about him as an actor, as well as other roles he's played on shows to which I was EXTREMELY loyal - NYPD Blue, West Wing, etc...so there's definitely some goodwill carrying over to this current character/role. I like Nicole's shrewdness, ability to think quickly, and her strength - far better than a character that is helpless and becomes a liability. And I think I like Andy because he's the brains behind Rebecca - not that she isn't smart, clearly she is, but Andy is that rock-steady workhorse she can rely on. As for Eric - he's neither here nor there for me. He's the "hero," so I know he's not going to die - as far as I know! Thus, it's just a matter of seeing how many crazy situations he can get himself out of, and that lack of uncertainty can dilute the excitement we as viewers are supposed to experience with his character.

Edited by Biggie B
clarity

Maybe I've become a more sophisticated viewer after watching a lot of really good shows (i.e., not broadcast tv), but I just can't seem to turn off my plausibility switch anymore. That hospital scene was ridiculous; Amira(?) would not go undetected, nurses would have been running into the room the instant the machine starting beeping because they can hear it/see it from their stations, her fingerprints are all over the hypodermic needle plunger, there are cameras everywhere and on and on. 

I don't find Eric compelling, I rolled my eyes during the Smits-McRaney scene (having just finished watching a similar father-son argument on Billions and done so much better) and basically I thought I could hold on until Eric's first "dammit" and Eowyn's "I am no man," but I might not make it.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, piequinn35 said:

Did Eric have another option rather than break Ben out? This is 24 (12), they have less than 8 hours before the show ends...

He could have beat the address for Gabriel out of Ben, or dosed him with CTU truth serum, but that would glorify torture.....

Gabriel won't think that 2 guys- who are supposed to be dead- suddenly showing up with super classified documents well above their pay grade is a red flag?

Gabriel: How do I know you have the plans?

Grimes: Check his phone.

Gabriel: [shoots both of them in the head] Some kinda Bad Ass Rangers....

• Love 2

It's amazing how much stupidity can be put in a single hour with this show. It doesn't even give you time to breathe and shake your head after every implausible twist because another is already happening.

Groaned my way through the girl killing the kid, with the nicely laid out syringe for her, the moment of doubt, and the lack of any crash cart response. Love how someone mentioned how CTU hasn't learned anything from the countless times Jack has busted someone out of there. Eric sure knocked those guards out easily. And how about that Ben Grimes is basically aiding and embedding terrorists and not in his own private cell hell somewhere and instead gets private time to chat with his BFF. CTU security is as good as ever.

I'm glad they didn't drag out the fathers secret the whole day however.

• Love 1

The twist with killing the kid was silly because it as so improbable. They should've created more tension and left him alive for a while. Things are happening too easily on the show which isn't realistic. Also, Nicole is the star for me. Nicole and Ingram (and Andy) are my favorites. I wish Nicole was the new Jack instead of her husband who is fine, but not as amazing as she is. I don't give a damn about the terrorist attack or the political story (unpopular opinion: most dull political cast since the show began), I literally only wanna see Nicole kicking ass and what Ingram is up to. They're the only ones who seem very smart and sharp. I hope neither dies.

• Love 3

Where did Eric get his little smoke bomb from ?  Conveniently from his backpack. Is that standard CTU kit now ?

CTU continues to have the WORST internal security ever -- that server room should have 9 layers of security just to get in and video cameras all over the place.   Shitty security goes all the way back to Season 1 and Nina.

I'm a Chechen Terror Teen and I have the sads that I have to kill a boy I know -- geez, terrorist training and recruitment has really gone down hill.
But then the victim wakes up with Jason from Friday the 13th strength levels after having previously nearly been beaten to death -- and that's enough to cue her to press the death plunger.

• Love 2
On 2/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, TimWil said:

I found it interesting that Henry referred to "ISIL." And the way he said it made it sound more like a dishwashing liquid than ever. "ISIL" never caught on, dude, no matter how much Obama tried to make it stick. It's either "ISIS" or "IS."

It's too bad the French term "Daesh" never caught on:
"It may have been chosen for its “sonorité péjorative” (dèche, douche, tache – to be broke, shower, spot). ... IS supporters, in any case, dislike the term Daesh as it does not spell out the crucial Islamic component. In the words of Simon Collis, the British Ambassador to Iraq: “Arabic speakers spit out the name Da’ish with different mixtures of contempt, ridicule and hostility. Da’ish is always negative.” It’s certainly entered the ever-adaptive Arabic language big time: in the plural form – “daw’aish” – it means bigots who impose their views on others."

On 2/20/2017 at 9:42 PM, TobinAlbers said:

I would've preferred his mother walking in on the attempt and beating her ass where she's caught and Drew is able to spill all. Alas, she got him in the end.

That was the least believable part of the hour for me.  Once Mom got there, they would have had to use blasting caps to get her away from her son's bedside.  Instead, she just picked a convenient time to go for a stroll.

• Love 1

(unpopular opinion: most dull political cast since the show began),

Well it's a popular one with me because it's unfortunately true.

I noticed they are being dodgy with the identity of the President. Is there any remote chance it's still Heller? 

• Love 1

I'm glad someone agrees with me on the political side of things. David Palmer and his supporting staff of Mike, Sherry, etc was instantly memorable and same goes for Heller and the female president, not to mention Logan. There have been times when I've been more interested in that side of things than Jack at CTU. This season they just put me to sleep. I don't know any of their names and I don't care to know them. I also think they're hurt by being such a small unit. I need a few more people in the inner circle. His aide who is being framed lacks any type of personality, his dad is probably the best of the lot, but still leaves a lot to be desired and Jimmy Smits is just dull as dishwater. This is by far his least memorable role. If this show makes it to a second season I need them to severely step it up here. 

5 hours ago, watch2much said:

anyone else think there's more chemistry between Nicole and Isaac and her and Eric?  Maybe Isaac should have been the lead character...he's really good.

Without a doubt Nicole and Isaac have more chemistry, star power and are better actors than the guy playing Eric. It makes me sad that since we know he's the "Jack" we're for sure stuck with him, but they're more likely to be killed off even though they're more interesting. With Nicole there will never be a solid place for her on this type of show so she's destined for death or the type of time-filler stories that they gave Kim and that's sad. At least with Kim you could find a reasonable explanation to put her at CTU by her third season but I'm not sure where they'd place Nicole. I'm getting lots of Michelle tea's from her. She seems very smart in a sea of people making stupid and outrageous decisions which is how Michelle always was and most importantly she has shown she can kick ass.

8 hours ago, vb68 said:

I noticed they are being dodgy with the identity of the President. Is there any remote chance it's still Heller? 

3 Jack-years have elapsed since "Live Another Day" when Heller was POTUS...so it is possible...

ETA: According to Kiefer Sutherland at the 2014 Comic-Con 24 panel, after Day 9, Heller mourned the loss of his daughter and resigned.

Edited by paigow
Tortured internet for the truth
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, vb68 said:

Heller admitted to Jack that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so probably not. 

Heller admitted to Jack that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, so probably not. 

Thanks. I knew there was something like that but had forgotten what exactly.

I even rewatched the episode over hoping for a flake of a clue, but there was nothing except for the "he".

4 hours ago, marinw said:

Audrey had a brother...is he dead? Maybe he is POTUS now...

Edited by paigow
56 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

The actor playing Isaac should be playing Eric Carter, he has star quality.

Are you saying that "Walking Dead" experience is not correlated to talent, etc??????

A different type of charisma, perhaps (menacing?--but, hey, if nothing else Ashley has a far better "intense" face than his TV bro)?  I did find it interesting, though, that Isaac kept mum about Action Bae's day out to Eric...albeit not in a "he doesn't need to know this right now" way, IMO, but a "yeah, I'm still mad at you, so fuck you" way.

John doing his own research to clear Nilaa and then finding out Pa Donovan sold out Eric's unit in the name of illegal oil sales...I'm inclined to allow it for the moment, though it probably did highlight the comments upthread that the political side of this trip into the 24-verse is rather dull.  It may be over in the sane corner as well compared to the A-story, but still: you've got Jimmy Smits and Gerald McRaney and you're making them boring?

Amira getting cold feet about killing Drew the Redshirt up close, honestly, was the one thing that rang almost completely true (considering) for me in this episode.  It was such a frigging cliché, but still: she's a teenage, until proven otherwise, girl who's convinced herself or been convinced to strike a blow for Hipster Kid Terrorist in the most impersonal manner: blowing something up.  That's a long way from actively taking someone out (which I'm assuming her brother has experience with).  That said, if Drew survives this...

As for the A-story, two things...annoyingly, both about dumbass Ben:

1. Before Ben got carted off in the ambulance, did Eric tell him his family had been killed?  I thought he was talking about the other Rangers, but I missed part of this; last I knew, nobody knew Ben's wife and kid were dead yet.
  2. How did Ben, an avowed off-gridder, know about an international weapons smuggler?  Let alone know what he might want from a potential client?  How the heck did Eric know for that matter?

Making the "Jack" character a drug-dealer would have been far more interesting.  Plus, yes, Isaac is a much stronger and better-played character than Eric.  And I like that Nicole is terrified by Isaac's girlfriend and her stooge, and she still manages to take charge.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:41 PM, Bill C. said:

Before Ben got carted off in the ambulance, did Eric tell him his family had been killed?  I thought he was talking about the other Rangers, but I missed part of this; last I knew, nobody knew Ben's wife and kid were dead yet.

Eric said that Ben's wife and daughter sister were killed.

Seems they got themselves into a bit of trouble due to that one scene where Rebecca showed footage from that mall shootout in Kenya from a while back..(How they actually got a hold of that footage is a mystery)..guess this part will be edited out of re-run showings

I'm just not loving Corey Hawkins, I wish they would've followed Kate from Live Another Day. I agree that Isaac and Nicole have more chemistry and are stronger actors. I love Miranda Otto and James from Scandal. There are some good bones here despite the flaws. I didn't have a problem with the girl attempting to kill the classmate, I think it's gutsy but I'm not convinced he's dead. I also want to know who's president. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, TDT said:

Seems they got themselves into a bit of trouble due to that one scene where Rebecca showed footage from that mall shootout in Kenya from a while back..(How they actually got a hold of that footage is a mystery)..guess this part will be edited out of re-run showings

Pretty sure Fox News [and TV networks globally] had rights to use it...could easily give permission to Fox Entertainment.

On 2/25/2017 at 0:03 AM, healthnut said:

I'm just not loving Corey Hawkins, I wish they would've followed Kate from Live Another Day. I agree that Isaac and Nicole have more chemistry and are stronger actors. I love Miranda Otto and James from Scandal. There are some good bones here despite the flaws. I didn't have a problem with the girl attempting to kill the classmate, I think it's gutsy but I'm not convinced he's dead. I also want to know who's president. 

I agree with all of this. I'm confused about why they didn't include Kate as well. I understand it's a reboot, but I wish there were real connections to the original series. A political aide from the original, Kate, a former CTU employee, etc. Honestly, I would've had Kim working at CTU as a connection, but I know that is an unpopular idea. Replacing Jack was never going to be easy which is why Kate with Eric would've been a stronger combination. Similar to when Chase was used as a sort of co-lead with Kiefer, or Kate in LAD. I'm curious what, if any, changes they'd make for a season two.

• Love 1

I'm guessing they wanted to make a clean break for this semi-reboot (for all we know, though, they may have asked Yvonne Strahovski to come back and couldn't make it work), and I'm still generally okay with that...but I tended to think that anybody that stepped into Kiefer Sutherland's admittedly large shoes would have had a rough go of it in general, and so far Corey Hawkins is right there.  He's not bad, IMHO, but he's not great either.  It doesn't help that Ashley Thomas seems to have more overall presence than he does, albeit in the smaller doses we get.

All that said, I'm still cool with the secondary stories...warts and all.  The primary story has Miranda Otto, and I'm there for her (and to see exactly when dumbass Ben gets whacked, because he pretty much has to get whacked).  Action Bae earned a pass when she clocked Aisha with a pipe.  Oddly, though, I think I'm most invested in Amira's story--in part since it contains perhaps the only other person who is pretty much guaranteed to die, Mr. Harris.