Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Diana's Story

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

This should be interesting. What would have triggered a thin person to head down this road?

If this episode is like so many of the others, Sexual Abuse will be one contributing factor.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, poeticlicensed said:

If she can't get out of the van to sleep at the hotel, how is she going to the bathroom?

I was going to ask this same question, as well as how can Megan's entire family move to Houston with her?  Maybe the husband has an extended vacation.

• Love 3

Well, so far, this is the most intelligent, articulate, decent group of people ever featured on this show. However, I know as functional they appear in contrast to the totally dysfunctional train wreck families we've seen, they're all still mired in the enabling and craziness that is the food  addict's life. Great viewing without the usual TLC bullshit scripted drama. So far............

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Azubah said:

FFS, Nowzaradan, since when do you complain because the family is being too supportive? The woman's lost 100 pounds! This is new; he never would have done this in earlier seasons.

I was thinking the niece complained to Dr. Now behind Diana's back

• Love 14

I think some people forget that they likely can't show the real ins-and-outs of the relationship with the therapist, and that is unlikely they meet once and never speak again (unless it's a person on the show who is refusing to follow the rules). Due to privacy concerns and likely the therapist's own interests in maintaining their professional reputation, we probably see a glimpse and there's WAY more that goes on behind the scenes. Showing us one tiny clip of the interaction also helps TLC create the narrative that a therapist helps these patients deal with the surgery without making it about that part of the process completely.

I think the niece seems very nice, but also just a worn-down person. I think she cares a great deal about her aunt and I get the sense she's over being the caregiver for everyone with those tiny kids, in a house that people never leave (because Diana can't and the husband works from home). I don't think she's a bad person, or tired of dealing with Diana in an uncaring way. But I think she's probably hitting her limits, so to speak, with the situation in a lot of ways and she's done more than most people would to help. I think Diana seems to understand that.

Diana is one of the most likeable. I didn't think she'd stick to anything and it'd be another episode where the surgery comes in the last 15 minutes of the episode. Granted, she's had some help. But her attitude seems really positive compared to many others. I totally agree with the person above who said the depression is likely related not only to the former issues but the loss of food as a coping mechanism - plus moving! It's a lot for any person to deal with, especially someone physically isolated. I think Diana's one of the better people featured.

• Love 20
32 minutes ago, Azubah said:

FFS, Nowzaradan, since when do you complain because the family is being too supportive? The woman's lost 100 pounds! This is new; he never would have done this in earlier seasons.

This baffled me too Azubah. I was like "Damn Dr. Now, you be goin' all gangsta on this family!" Seriously though, considering all his years of having to deal with the truly ignorant and moronic behavior of most of these families, I think he surmised that they were intelligent and sophisticated enough to comprehend and follow through with his suggestions.

BTW TLC, I am one of those wacky people who actually enjoys and is entertained by watching thoughtful, decent, smart people! Please lather, rinse, and repeat more often. Really didn't think you had it in you! And don't be scared at the prospect since you still have vaults full of MBFFL, 90 Day Fiance, and all the other frat boy crap you are used to producing. :)

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Seriously though, considering all his years of having to deal with the truly ignorant and moronic behavior of most of these families, I think he surmised that they were intelligent and sophisticated enough to comprehend and follow through with his suggestions.

Totally agree. I think he felt that they understood the rules, were following them pretty well, and that they were engaged/smart/dedicated enough to take it to the next level. I think we're all used to him just asking the family to stop bringing home Taco Bell or whatever that it was weird to hear him ask the family to stop helping so much. But, I think he saw that Diana, the niece and co. were smart enough to see the point he was making, and that the niece was still dedicated enough to stick around a bit longer and help Diana make the transition into owning her own diet more as she got more mobile, more used to it, etc.

• Love 14

I just started watching episodes of this show here and there. I enjoyed this one. Diana was articulate and intelligent and understood the rules. I liked that she had a supportive family too, the niece was a saint! I hope there is an update on her, I hope she does well, she seemed like a lovely person. 

• Love 6

I never thought I'd say this, but I kinda miss the side by sides they used to show at the end of an episode. It was helpful to see exactly how much physical change there was.

But, this was one episode that should have been just an hour. No need for two, since it was practically drama free.

• Love 5

Think we can get Penny to watch this one? Yes, she was in horrible pain, but didn't whine and always thanked the paramedics and others who helped her. Glad to see the niece Megan was human after her mini meltdown.  She was super as was her spouse.  I know very few people who would give up their lives to move 1900 miles away to care for a relative.  Yay Diana, I am rooting for you. 

• Love 17

I know now that I need to mute the sound when fast food is involved.   I cannot tolerate the sound of the paper bags.   Weird I guess.

But I feel the same about the hoarder shows when they handle the plastic bags or repeat the word keep a thousand times.

I totally get why Dr. Now wanted to see if Diana could maintain the diet by herself. Good decision on his part.

I know this has been asked and commented on so much, but where does Diana get her money?  Well, at least it appeared she was trying to hopefully get a job by studying about counseling.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Spooneroonie said:

But, this was one episode that should have been just an hour. No need for two, since it was practically drama free.

YES. I taped it and whizzed through a good portion -- the therapist, Diana feeding the ducks. 

Echoing everyone else, Megan was a saint. I also have to believe she left pre-cooked meals behind because there was no way Diana prepared that meal she microwaved at the end. I just don't see her doing the prep work (physically) then washing and putting away all the dishes needed. She can barely stand up straight for longer than five minutes at a time. 

And hooray for a nice, normal family and a patient who followed the rules and lost the prescribed amount of weight. 

10 minutes ago, Cherrio said:

I know this has been asked and commented on so much, but where does Diana get her money?  Well, at least it appeared she was trying to hopefully get a job by studying about counseling.

She had a job before she got too big to work, I'm assuming as a single lady, she put away some money. She was also in the Air Force. I don't know how long she was in but maybe she's getting a military pension. That was a nice house they were staying in. 

• Love 10

Glad to see the niece Megan was human after her mini meltdown. 

Yeah, moving your family TWICE with two tiny kids actually seems crazy to me. At the beginning, she said she'd moved everyone to Seattle in the first place to be close to Diana (though clearly other family members lived there, too). There's saintliness, and then there's martyrdom. I guess the kids were too young to have friends/schools to miss, but jeez!

Color me surprised that Diana turned it around so hard and lost 200+ pounds in a year. She seemed so devoted to her addiction.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, MsVixen said:

I'm watching the repeat as I got home too late for the first showing.  Please tell me that her legs get better by the end of the episode.  Are those scabs on her legs?

They get a lot better and you can see improvement even after the first month.

We were wondering/speculating whether it was some kind of yeast that cleared up once she reduced her intake of sugar.

i really liked that house!

• Love 7

I forgot about the legs! OMG! They didn't explain that at all. In two hours, there was plenty of time to address how that kind of damage can heal. We're just meant to think that they magically healed. What WAS that rash/crust? Was pus just oozing out of her over-stretched skin and drying? Was fungus growing on them? It took serious love and generosity for anyone besides a medical professional to rub salve on that surface. I would need years of training to look at that without retching or showing disgust.

• Love 4

And yes, I probably need to stop talking to the TV. 

That's OK. My girlfriend and I agreed that Dr. Now talks like how we imagine one of our cats would talk if he were human. "How y'all doing?"

Are those scabs on her legs?

It almost looked like some sort of fungal infection.

I liked Diana as well and I hope she continues to make progress. The meals that Megan made for her looked very filling and healthy. How lucky Diana is to have a niece who loves her so much she's willing to uproot her life and live elsewhere just to make sure her aunt is being looked after properly.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Well, so far, this is the most intelligent, articulate, decent group of people ever featured on this show. 

Yes! And Diana's voice overs were very well modulated and I know how much some of us in this board appreciate that lol.

1 hour ago, Straycat80 said:

She had a job before she got too big to work, I'm assuming as a single lady, she put away some money. She was also in the Air Force. I don't know how long she was in but maybe she's getting a military pension. That was a nice house they were staying in. 

She said she wanted to re-enlist but couldn't because of her weight and you would only get a pension if you retire or maybe even a medical discharge(?). I did 5 years in the Navy but I'm not 100% sure. I also did alot of yo-yo dieting for weigh-ins so I know the struggle.

The neice said her mom, Diana's sister, was helping out and her husband was able to work from home. Good for them. 

I liked that she always thanked everybody when they helped her as opposed to some of the vile behavior we've seen on this show by people who can barely move. I would be Baby Jane-ing the sh!$ out of some of these hosebeasts if I was their caregiver but Diana was polite and grateful.

• Love 15

I was wondering if the white "crust" was layers of dried medicated cream, such as we saw Diana's friend applying to her legs?  It looked like she had a hard time bathing, and they probably hurt, so she may not have been able to wash her legs properly or willing to go through the pain. 

Later on, it looked like her legs were red/shiny (I noticed it in the hospital in one of the post op scenes.)  

• Love 3