Type keyword(s) to search

Rachel Lindsay Will Be The Bachelorette's First African-American Headliner

• Start Topic

Jobless wonders, hee! 

If it was Luke, she might not have went as far as she did, hence she wouldn't be the next lead. So the people who said it wouldn't happen without Nick are probably correct, that probably why the producers went with him instead of Luke b/c they knew Nick would date a WOC and she is Nick's "type"

My point was that if Rachel was indeed zeroed in on as a Bachelorette lead BEFORE the Bachelor was decided, then Nick had nothing to do with it.  Plenty of people were claiming producer manipulation for keeping Corinne around, yet suddenly it's solely due to Nick's alleged openness that Rachel made it to F3/F4? Sure, Jan.

• Love 1
On 2/21/2017 at 7:42 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

I don't get this. The US Army is made up of 21 percent African Americans (http://www.statisticbrain.com/demographics-of-active-duty-u-s-military/). I imagine Luke would have been quite comfortable with the idea of bringing Rachel or any other African American home to meet the family. Is Nick's hometown or family supposed to be more enlightened?

I do agree with the above poster that Show knew Nick would do anything they asked, just as he did on Kaitlyn's show, which may not have been true of an All American Army Vet. Who knows what they asked....

Yeah, but if you watched Luke's hometown date with JoJo, you'd notice that his Texas family & friends there were 100% Caucasian.  We have absolutely NO idea what type of woman his family would accept.  It's lovely to think that everybody everywhere is accepting of mixed-race relationships, but that's just not so.  

I think it's possible that Nick was willing to play the game to an extent that Luke wasn't. 

• Love 2

There is a lot of racism in the military, which was once very segregated and is just recently having more officers of color.  Minorities deal with the same issues of promotion, etc. in the military that they do in real life.   A lot of people who fight side by side and protect each other would not have a beer together once duty is over. Sad but  true.  Just because Luke was in the military with Black people does not mean he wants to (or doesn't want to??) date one. 

• Love 3

Mr MML hasn't been in the Army for a long long time. Sure, historically, everything was segregated, and Nick's field, computer sales (and colleges! Nick's the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee vs Luke's West Point) today is probably full of diversity.... But my point is not that either Luke or Nick is or isn't happier with women of color (and I pray that isn't a factor in who they are attracted to), it was the sort of assumption that Nick and only Nick can open the door for Rachel. /sarcasm on Because sure, a beautiful smart accomplished personable woman who happens to be a minority can't be cast otherwise without Nick's help, and Luke of course wouldn't want to bring a beautiful smart etc. woman home /sarcasm off. (And Luke already "lost" the Bachelor competition, so bringing him into it at all sort of irritates me, I admit, my fault--like over the weekend, hearing people still running Hillary down, but I digress). I won't see it but I bet there will be some women of color at Nick's hometown dates with F1 and F2 regardless of whether Rachel is still on the show. I can remember Nick's family meeting one of the Bettes in a little room at a restaurant and cannot remember his family's ethnic makeup from that (don't think there were friends there)--maybe someone else can.

Okay, beating my dead horse, Sorry. I really look forward to Rachel's season and hope the guys are as amazing as she seems to be. 

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 1

We could look at it the other way around, if Rachel hadn't been chosen for B'ette before Nick's season, Nick might not have been chosen as Bach. I think it was less that Nick is open to any race as Nick was probably easier to control, being a known entity to production they knew he would play along. Hell, they may have even told him not to really fall for her because she's earmarked for the next season. Luke hasn't been under their control as long as Nick and might have gone and actually fell for Rachel. Then they'd have been screwed! lol

I'm curious if getting the B'ette gig was why Rachel came on in the first place. Because she does seem smart, successful, confident, attractive, sensible, all the things that mean she does not need this shit show and she doesn't, yet, seem like a fame whore, so what was her reasoning for throwing away her credibility as a professional to be on TV? Obviously we have Andi, the lawyer, but she proved she's a fame whore. Will Rachel go down that path as well? That would be a damn shame as I actually like and so far respect Rachel far more than I ever did Andi.

I just wonder why someone like Rachel would do this show. She's not 24, she's not just starting out, she's spent at least 8 years working on a serious career. She's got a job that requires a certain level of respect.

I also wonder what her father, who can't even be on the show thinks of it. But if it's a political move, getting a black lead, finally!, it makes more sense to me. I just can't believe for a second this woman can't find a quality guy to date so there's no way she's here looking for love.

• Love 4

Working as a law associate for some can be a real grind so I'm not surprised that Rachel would look outside the four walls of her office, the courtroom and her real world to find "love".  

I personally think she has the chance to take a step into the world of sports/entertainment broadcasting by being the bachelorette and forge a life outside of being an associate at a law firm in Texas.   

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

We could look at it the other way around, if Rachel hadn't been chosen for B'ette before Nick's season, Nick might not have been chosen as Bach.

That's true.  What I'm wondering, though, is if they already knew they wanted Rachel as Bachelorette, why didn't they just make her Bachelorette?  Would it really kill them to have someone as lead who hasn't been a contestant before?  

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ByTor said:

Would it really kill them to have someone as lead who hasn't been a contestant before?

I believe it would kill them, yes. lol

Sadly I think that is exactly what this show needs, some new blood, someone who hasn't been "on this journey"  already, who isn't looking to make the franchise their career.  But at this point they are so trapped in their own cycle of incest that I do not see it happening.

The show has morphed into something different. I don't think for the better but this is what we have now and we will get the same bunch of unemployed/semi-employed/dubiously employed fame whores we always get and the same melodrama we always get, only the names will be changed but we will still have our asshole "not here to make friends" and our "can I steal you for a minute" king, and the complainers who sit back and watch everyone else get time with Rachel, and there will probably be someone who eats a lot (that seems to be their new thing), and someone who everyone is against, blah blah. It's like groundhog day.

• Love 7
On 2/21/2017 at 4:07 PM, wings707 said:

Yes, this makes total sense.  The pressure to have a lead of color was extreme.  Her family must have known this and went on with the charade on the home visit.  GAH!  I like them even less for this. 

I am wondering if they even knew, in one of Rachel's interviews she said that after she was let go that they approached her to be The Bachelorette but she thought they were just joking and trying to make her feel better.

Edited by roses
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, roses said:

I am wondering if they even knew, in one of Rachel's interviews she said that after she was let go that they approached her to be The Bachelorette but she thought they were just joking and trying to make her feel better.

I heard her say that, too.  On Jimmy Kimmel. I wondered if that was a cover.  If they cast her for this from the begining,  it seems they would want her to agree to that. OR, they told Nick to keep.her and they would see how she did? 

In truth, I've also wondered why Rachel got involved with this franchise.  But I realized something awhile ago (middle-aged musing alert!): when this show first debuted, I was just out of college. So this franchise wasn't some zeitgeist of my childhood/coming-of-age years.  But it probably was for many of these 20-somethings, and even early 30-somethings.  For the 20-somethings, they were impressionable kids when this franchise started.  I'm about eight years older than Rachel, who would have been in her early teens when this show debuted.  

So even though Rachel is accomplished, I can also see someone of a certain age, and beyond the typical famewhores, truly believing that this show is a great opportunity.  

• Love 1

I think she is doing it to get into another career.  Someone said sports marketing or something was in her bio.  I could see her being a host or presenter or moving on to something else based on momentum from this show.  I think she wants something sport related.  We will see. 

• Love 1
On 2/25/2017 at 9:17 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

So even though Rachel is accomplished, I can also see someone of a certain age, and beyond the typical famewhores, truly believing that this show is a great opportunity.  

I agree with this.  Plus, I think many of the contestants hold the belief that they won't be one of those pathetic fools that get manipulated and edited badly.  They won't look desperate, grasping, shallow or idiotic on TV.  They are too smart to get sucked into the pettiness and fake drama, because the producers really respect and like them.  

But it happens.  Even if they come off looking good as a contestant, there are innumerable minefields when they become the lead, and no guarantee they won't be sacrificed to the ratings gods.  

I think Emily and Andi were the best Bachelorettes in recent years. To me, they both managed to maintain control over themselves and made the guys fight for them.  Emily as Miss Steel Magnolia and Andi as Miss Prosecutor.  If Rachel is as composed and thoughtful as those two, she'll do well.

But many people idealized Kaitlyn as the "Spunky and FUN lead", and JoJo as the "Sophisticated Firecracker", I think they both were duds that got led around by the nose.  So I think it's a bit premature for Rachel to be hailed as the perfect Bachelorette.  She may well eventually be, but we've been fooled before. 

7 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I think she is doing it to get into another career.  Someone said sports marketing or something was in her bio.  I could see her being a host or presenter or moving on to something else based on momentum from this show.  I think she wants something sport related.  We will see. 

I didn't know that - seems like an odd way to go about it.  It doesn't seem like there are a lot who participated and went on to have a substantial entertainment career outside of this franchise. Especially a lead.  Jesse Palmer, maybe? But he was a professional football player before the show, so already in the sports world. 

3 hours ago, leighdear said:

So I think it's a bit premature for Rachel to be hailed as the perfect Bachelorette.  She may well eventually be, but we've been fooled before. 

Rachel is being hailed as the perfect Bachelorette? I agree, we don't know how she'll turn out until her season airs.  Though I feel certain she will be accused of leading someone on by the end.  I do believe her minefield is even more fraught, due to the weight of expectations.  Heaven forbid there's a race discussion at any point during her season.  Or if her top picks aren't black-ish. 

• Love 2

I don't watch a lot of reality, but the little I have seen  have always shown Black people to be a stereotype or a cartoon character.  I have no faith this will be anything different.    Good Lord my reality for a long time was Top Chef, which I thought was about as tame a reality show you could find  and yes, of course we know what happened there. 

On 26/02/2017 at 3:46 PM, catrice2 said:

I think it was mentioned how she is a huge sports fan and would love to be a sports agent.

Edited by roses
On 2/26/2017 at 4:32 PM, catrice2 said:

I don't watch a lot of reality, but the little I have seen  have always shown Black people to be a stereotype or a cartoon character.  I have no faith this will be anything different.    Good Lord my reality for a long time was Top Chef, which I thought was about as tame a reality show you could find  and yes, of course we know what happened there. 

This has not been the case on this show.  

On 2/28/2017 at 0:45 AM, roses said:

I think it was mentioned how she is a huge sports fan and would love to be a sports agent.

In an interview she mentioned that she hoped they would find AF men as represented in society (numbers) and men who are into sports.  She also mentioned that she has dated white men and did not give a preference when the interviewer asked.  

Thanks, @roses, I had not heard about her career aspirations.  That seems like a field that is very likely to open up to her.  

• Love 1
On 3/2/2017 at 6:47 AM, wings707 said:

This has not been the case on this show.  

In an interview she mentioned that she hoped they would find AF men as represented in society (numbers) and men who are into sports.  She also mentioned that she has dated white men and did not give a preference when the interviewer asked.  

Thanks, @roses, I had not heard about her career aspirations.  That seems like a field that is very likely to open up to her.  

Hmm.no because they either don't apply, are not cast, or get sent home early because they already knew the lead probably had no interest in dating them.  It may have not been the case but only due to lack of opportunity to turn them into cartoon characters.  The minute they had one that seemed interesting last year, they went through all the footage they could find to support whatever narrative they had decided for Jubilee.   To be fair, she gave them the material, but there is no way they did not exploit her or Olivia.   To be fair, I think they stereotype and exploit a lot of people, including the way they are portraying Raven. 

(edited)

Catrice2 said:

Why shouldn't everyone have the equal opportunity to hawk,shill and shame themselves and their families?  

Lol! That cracked me up. I can see this on a BLM rally sign.

Edited by JenE4
On 2/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Jobless wonders, hee! 

My point was that if Rachel was indeed zeroed in on as a Bachelorette lead BEFORE the Bachelor was decided, then Nick had nothing to do with it.  Plenty of people were claiming producer manipulation for keeping Corinne around, yet suddenly it's solely due to Nick's alleged openness that Rachel made it to F3/F4? Sure, Jan.

It all boils down to ratings and headlines. That's what has kept this show in business for this many seasons and spin-offs. Corinne being a producer pick isn't in the same ballpark as pre-selecting a Bachelorette without any knowledge of how they would translate through the process and more importantly, if the viewers would take to that person. I don't have faith that the show would compromise their bottom line purely for the sake of being ground-breaking because if that was the case, they would have done it a long time ago. The Bachelorette has always been predetermined by the popularity of the woman and dependent on her going far in the process (the more viewers see, the more invested they can become). Keeping Corinne around served the show's bottom line but selecting Rachel as the Bachelorette isn't the most obvious choice but it's not a crazy, out of the blue choice either. If you're looking at popularity, Corinne and Raven are the top picks. Corinne isn't ready or mature enough to handle the lead. Raven could have been good choice but I think the show saw a young, attractive, educated and successful Black woman in a way that the show hadn't seen before - that was all because of Nick's interactions with her. Had he not been invested in giving her the attention, the viewers would have seen a fraction of the qualities that is thought to make her such a great pick. Had he not invested in giving her the attention, there would be little footage (and possibly disingenuous interaction) to work with. 

I think the show early on saw the potential in Rachel though. Like I said, she's not the obvious choice based on popularity online and her popularity didn't jump until she was announced as the next Bachelorette and I think that's exactly why the show announced her early. They bought themselves more time to do media rounds and get as many 'ground breaking' headlines as possible. 

On 2/19/2017 at 8:50 PM, leighdear said:

I remember back when Beverly Johnson was all over the magazine covers, then Iman, then on to Tyra Banks.  All moved on to substantial careers.  But the sad part is I can only name those 3.  If you go back to the birth of the "Supermodels" (magazines, runway and commercials), you get Christie Brinkley, Cindy Crawford, Elle McPherson, Kim Alexis, etc.  Iman & Tyra were definitely there too, but were the exception rather than the rule. 

Don't know if you've heard of her but I know Naomi Campbell was a big time model in the 90's and early 2000's. She was even in some high profile music videos with Michael Jackson and I think maybe U2's since she did date one of the guys in the band for quite awhile. 

Sorry for the late response I was just catching up on some of these posts and I immediately thought of Naomi when you mentioned the black models. I agree that there have been some big name ones but not, as you said, a matter of rule. Which is a shame.

Edited by yorklee2