Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Chapter Four: The Last Picture Show

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, laschifosavita said:

What was Joaquin showing Kevin?  I have a small tv, and there wasn't enough warning for me to start squinting.  Thanks!

A tattoo on his right lower arm -- a serpent in an "S" shape, presumably for the Southside Serpents gang.

I know she's awful but I love Alice Cooper. 

That smash cut from Hermione exiting the passenger side of Fred's truck to Alice pounding on the driver's side window was HILARIOUS. 

• Love 4

Man that last scene with Veronica and her mom pissed me off. her dad is a criminal but she's ok with her mom being one too.  How dare Veronica be mad at her mom for being a criminal SMH. In other news Billy from Scream is Papa Jughead, Jughead is homeless, Veronicas parents suck ass so does Bettys with her domineering mom and pussy father.  See ya Mrs Grundy aka Jennifer. 

1 minute ago, Dee said:

I know she's awful but I love Alice Cooper. 

That smash cut from Hermione exiting the passenger side of Fred's truck to Alice pounding on the driver's side window was HILARIOUS. 

Alice is the kind of awful I don't like 

4 minutes ago, grandemocha said:

They should've arrested Grundy. She's gross as hell for what she did.

I still like Betty a ton!

Agreed!

Thanks, @Just Here.

I love that the show actually depicted "Mrs. Grundy" as a predator.  I was frustrated with the direction the story was going in, but I thought it ended up being a nice subversion of the trope.  It is how these kinds of relationships should be depicted, but it plays as edgy because teen shows love a student-teacher relationship and statutory rape.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Last Time Lord said:

I... legitimately did not see Jughead living in the Drive In and his father being a Southside Serpent coming.

I want more of Kevin and Sheriff Keller. Their relationship is probably the most normal and healthy one on this entire show.

Yes I was so glad to see Sheriff Keller knows his boy is gay and doesn't care! Him and Fred are the only likeable parents so far  

• Love 15

Awesome, Kevin gets his own story and a new love interest! I can get behind him in a Romeo and Juliet thing with dreamy biker guy (hopefully without the deaths), which seems like it could be a forbidden love story I can actually enjoy. Unlike...

I'm sorry, but fuck you show for trying to act like Grundie is some kind of tragic figure. Seriously, show, I've praised you sense the start for making the Archie/Grundie stuff skeevy and gross, but now, was it NOT supposed to be skeevy and gross? Yeah, its very sad that her husband was abusive (if her story is true. No one on this show seems to be capable of telling the truth) but that doesn't erase the fact that she had sex, many times, with her teenaged student. The one time Bettys horrible mom is actually right about something, and she's still supposed to be in the wrong!

Wow, Jughead is homeless, AND his dad is the head of the biker gang! Didn't see that coming.

• Love 5

I didn't see that has Veronica being okay her mother is a criminal. She just found that out and is probably trying to process everything and she didn't look happy about it. 

Miss Grundy is a child predator. I hate shows like this and Pretty Little Liars that try to say it's okay to have sex with your teacher if you are both hot. She should be arrested, who cares what a 15 year old boy says, he's having sex with her and still calling her Miss Grundy. Then what was that at the end are they telling us she's an actual child predator? And two parents just let her go. 

Well at least the town knows that Betty's mother is crazy. If I were Betty I'd be keeping my diary on the computer with 20 passwords to get into it. 

Ronnie and Betty are still my favorite characters. Archie is still bland and boring. Jughead's story got a little more interesting being homeless and having a gang leader for a father. And they mentioned his little sister Jellybean, although I wonder what happened to her? 

• Love 7
Just now, laschifosavita said:

What was Joaquin showing Kevin?  I have a small tv, and there wasn't enough warning for me to start squinting.  Thanks!

I like Jughead so much more, because I love my local drive-in.  It's the only good way to watch movies in a theater.

His Southside Serpent tattoo. Also his tongue and if this was on a premium channel, his penis.

Poor (literally) Jughead. Homeless with a biker father.

Miss Grundy is a predator. They should have called the police, but of course Alice Cooper can't get out of her own way. She's so busy projecting malice and danger on Archie Andrews, the most boring boy in the universe, that she let a predator scram scot free because she was fixated on Archie being punished and shunned.

Archie

• Boring 16 year old
  • Sexually exploited by his teacher
  • Came forward to tell the police about what he heard on the 4th

Miss Grundy

• Fake name
  • Has a gun
  • Secretly having sex with and manipulating a minor

Alice how about we cool it on trying to condemn Archie and focus on the bigger issue.

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Awesome, Kevin gets his own story and a new love interest! I can get behind him in a Romeo and Juliet thing with dreamy biker guy (hopefully without the deaths), which seems like it could be a forbidden love story I can actually enjoy. Unlike...

I'm sorry, but fuck you show for trying to act like Grundie is some kind of tragic figure. Seriously, show, I've praised you sense the start for making the Archie/Grundie stuff skeevy and gross, but now, was it NOT supposed to be skeevy and gross? Yeah, its very sad that her husband was abusive (if her story is true. No one on this show seems to be capable of telling the truth) but that doesn't erase the fact that she had sex, many times, with her teenaged student. The one time Bettys horrible mom is actually right about something, and she's still supposed to be in the wrong!

Wow, Jughead is homeless, AND his dad is the head of the biker gang! Didn't see that coming.

I don't know I thought they were trying to get ya to feel bad for Archie. Alice is right but I still can't stand her . Was glad Betty told her off 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, tennisgurl said:

Seriously, show, I've praised you sense the start for making the Archie/Grundie stuff skeevy and gross, but now, was it NOT supposed to be skeevy and gross?

The final shot we see of her is her checking out other young-looking guys, so I think that's meant to be a sign that she's kind of predatory, but the resolution on the whole really treads a fine line on that particular point.

Cheryl saying that Veronica being on the cheer squad sends "a false message about acceptance" was my favourite line of the night.

Now that the Grundy (Gibson?) stuff is seemingly over I hope this means Archie will become more active in the assorted mystery stories, because it's doing the actor (who I think is good) no favours when he's competing with Betty, Veronica and Jughead all doing teen detective stuff.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I didn't see that has Veronica being okay her mother is a criminal. She just found that out and is probably trying to process everything and she didn't look happy about it. 

Miss Grundy is a child predator. I hate shows like this and Pretty Little Liars that try to say it's okay to have sex with your teacher if you are both hot. She should be arrested, who cares what a 15 year old boy says, he's having sex with her and still calling her Miss Grundy. Then what was that at the end are they telling us she's an actual child predator? And two parents just let her go. 

Well at least the town knows that Betty's mother is crazy. If I were Betty I'd be keeping my diary on the computer with 20 passwords to get into it. 

Ronnie and Betty are still my favorite characters. Archie is still bland and boring. Jughead's story got a little more interesting being homeless and having a gang leader for a father. And they mentioned his little sister Jellybean, although I wonder what happened to her? 

I agree that Veronica is probably not ok with it but they should've ended the scene with Veronica pointing out that her father is a criminal and so is her mom  

And hahaha I agree with ya about Betty keeping the diary on her computer with a long password. Her mom with her ridiculous insane grudge against Archie is so annoying and I'm willing to bet Alice won't drop it and cause a bigger wedge with her baby girl 

I think my problem so far is that while the teen investigating is amusing, I have utterly no reason to give a shit over the murder of Jason Blossom. Jason Blossom who no one seemed to like, and who seemed to have a creepy incestuous thing with his sister.

Is Betty's mom really named Alice Cooper? I may be here for the snark...

• Love 7

It looks like Veronica had a good relationship with her mother, so I don't expect a 15 year old to be thinking logically after finding out all her privilege came from her parents being shady. I'm going to give her time to deal and see where the storyline goes. 

• Love 3
Just now, ZoloftBlob said:

I think my problem so far is that while the teen investigating is amusing, I have utterly no reason to give a shit over the murder of Jason Blossom. Jason Blossom who no one seemed to like, and who seemed to have a creepy incestuous thing with his sister.

Is Betty's mom really named Alice Cooper? I may be here for the snark...

Yes that's her name lol

• Love 1

The Grundy / Gibson stuff is pretty wrong considering how old Archie is supposed to be. Of course, TV producers are kind of wrong for getting a jacked 19-year old to play a 16 year old boy.

2 minutes ago, jay741982 said:

Did anyone catch when they showed her id how old Jennifer was?

7/30/82 was the brithdate.

• Love 3
Just now, ketose said:

The Grundy / Gibson stuff is pretty wrong considering how old Archie is supposed to be. Of course, TV producers are kind of wrong for getting a jacked 19-year old to play a 16 year old boy.

7/30/82 was the brithdate.

WOW she's almost 35!! Thanks for the info!

3 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It looks like Veronica had a good relationship with her mother, so I don't expect a 15 year old to be thinking logically after finding out all her privilege came from her parents being shady. I'm going to give her time to deal and see where the storyline goes. 

I love Veronica but the way her mom talked to her angered me. Shouldn't take her long to process her mom sucks lol

I friggin love Alice Cooper. She is my kind of evil character. Not one of those love to hate characters. Please don't soften her or give me reasons behind her being such an asshole!

I wonder if Betty purposely left the gun for her mom to find during it and then read the diary. And given the last shot of Grundy, I figure she was clearly shown to be a predator. 

• Love 4

I am still enjoying this show more than I probably should.  I really like the Betty character.  I thought her storyline especially dealing with her mom was the best part of the episode.  I am not sure if Mom is legitimately trying to protect Betty but is too bitter to see clearly or is just a bitter woman unable to see what damage she does to her daughter.

• Love 9

It's different when it's your mother though. And as I said it looked like Veronica and her mother have a good relationship, unlike Betty and her mother. Veronica likes her mother. Of course I saw the actress playing Veronica's mother on Teen Wolf last season, playing a mother that was trying to kill her daughter, so I already thought she was shady when she appeared on screen. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, memememe76 said:

I friggin love Alice Cooper. She is my kind of evil character. Not one of those love to hate characters. Please don't soften her or give me reasons behind her being such an asshole!

I wonder if Betty purposely left the gun for her mom to find during it and then read the diary. And given the last shot of Grundy, I figure she was clearly shown to be a predator. 

Given how mad she was at her mom I doubt it. I can't stand Alice and yeah I figured they were showing Jennifer to be a predator . 

Just now, Sakura12 said:

It's different when it's your mother though. And as I said it looked like Veronica and her mother have a good relationship, unlike Betty and her mother. Veronica likes her mother. Of course I saw the actress playing Veronica's mother on Teen Wolf last season, playing a mother that was trying to kill her daughter, so I already thought she was shady when she appeared on screen. 

That's right she was Malia's mom! 

1 minute ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am still enjoying this show more than I probably should.  I really like the Betty character.  I thought her storyline especially dealing with her mom was the best part of the episode.  I am not sure if Mom is legitimately trying to protect Betty but is too bitter to see clearly or is just a bitter woman unable to see what damage she does to her daughter.

It's probably a bit of both. Like I said she's likely not gonna drop it and drive Betty further away. Bettys my favorite !!

Oh, Betty. You've got the skills to break into cars and pick locks and you leave a stolen gun in your underwear drawer? Especially when your mommy still does your laundry? Rookie move. 

Jughead's dad is super hot. That's how I know I'm too old for this show. I drool over the parents. It was the same when I watched Teen Wolf. 

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Oh, Betty. You've got the skills to break into cars and pick locks and you leave a stolen gun in your underwear drawer? Especially when your mommy still does your laundry? Rookie move. 

Jughead's dad is super hot. That's how I know I'm too old for this show. I drool over the parents. It was the same when I watched Teen Wolf. 

That's just good taste.

• Love 8

I didn't even see the last scene people have mentioned of Grundy checking out some teenaged boys! How did I miss that scene? Anyway, that definitely changes how I read her character. I'm still not sure how we are supposed to see their relationship, but now I'm leaning towards them wanting us to think they were creepy. I'm still pretty pissed off at the characters in universe though. No one seemed to really care that Archie was clearly being used and manipulated by his teacher, at least as much as I would think they would be. Veronica seemed to be more intrigued by the scandal than anything else, Betty kind of brought up that its illegal and immoral on Grundys part, but it comes off more as jealousy, and Archie's dad was angry for about a minute, then both he and Betty seemed more angry at Mrs. Cooper than at the actual sexual predator. Mrs. Cooper was, of course, an awful garbage person who only cared about this because of her vendetta against a teenager, but at least she called her a predator! But, yeah, your on probation from my shit list, show, instead of on top of it. I would have given you bonus points if her predatory ass got thrown into jail at the end of the episode though.

I was really happy to see that Kevin's dad is actually a nice, supportive father. I was sure he would turn out to be a homophobic asshole, so kudos for avoiding that one.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I have serious issues with Alice Cooper, but also the way the Jennifer Gibson/Miss Grundy story ended. It was perfectly fine up until the confrontation scene. Before it, you had a very defensive and in denial Archie about the situation he was in, you had a protective Betty firmly against Grundy and her manipulations, even after finding out about her sob story, and you even had Veronica acknowledge that it was a scandal, even if she seemed intrigued and less concerned. You also had shady Miss Grundy and then Archie buying her a gift. That was all fine UNTIL Fred and Alice got involved. Fred's reaction was just fine. I wish he got more pissed off and protective of Archie, but at least he didn't sweep the issue under the rug...UNTIL he didn't decide to call Sheriff Keller after all for what she was doing.

And then Alice, hellbent on I guess taking down a fifteen or sixteen year old child, was more concerned about proving a point than actually protecting the kid by calling the cops on the child predator; she even began calling her out until she revealed her actual motives, so that lost points that could have been gained. And then they just let her go and run off! And then they had Betty try to half ass protect Miss Grundy as well, even if her telling off her mom was needed in that moment, but at the sacrifice of Child Predator not receiving any punishment for her actions. And the end scene just makes me convinced that she'll do it again, and we'll probably see her again down the road. So yeah, I'm a little miffed if Gibson receives no consequences for her actions. I know we'll see her again, so she better be arrested next time she shows up.

That being said, I love that sweet Betty still can be badass and break the law. It's nice to see less black and white characters, especially for a girl like her. 

Jughead is still the best male character, but Fred Andrews is becoming a close second. Also, Skeet Ulrich! I knew I recognized his face! He is still looking younger than I know he actually is. And Jughead's homeless with his dad as the leader of the Serpents. Ok, then. 

Kevin gets a story, and it's a Romeo/Juliet situation. I want to give it a little more time to be fleshed out. It is nice to see Kevin's dad so supportive. 

Veronica is also cool with her mom and dad being criminals. Alrighty, then. Cheryl is also back to being Uber Bitch, but also kind of getting friendly with Veronica? They have a very weird antagonistic relationship because it's not completely antagonistic, I feel. 

• Love 3

So glad the Grundy stuff is over with. Archie remains super dull, and Jughead is by FAR the best of the male characters. I'm interested in him and his dad's story already and I want to know what happened to Jellybean.

I don't think the show knows exactly what to do with Cheryl. She can't be the rival who hates them AND a random friend at times- that doesn't make sense onscreen.

I think it's kind of a problem that Archie as a character is so lifeless, given that he's the star of the show. But usually showrunners can see these things behind the scenes, so I wonder if they realized by this point in filming that Jughead was going to be the far more interesting character.

Betty's the best of the girls for me. I like that they make her sweet but unafraid to do things like break into cars, etc. 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I don't think the show knows exactly what to do with Cheryl. She can't be the rival who hates them AND a random friend at times- that doesn't make sense onscreen.

It worked for The Scooby Gang & Cordelia Chase.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Dee said:

It worked for The Scooby Gang & Cordelia Chase.

Yeah, I guess- although she didn't really join the gang until she started dating Xander, so there was at least one person she was actually connected to, to pull her in.

• Love 1

While you're right that Cordy didn't become a full fledged Scooby until she began dating Xander in Season 2, she essentially was an unofficial member of the group as early as late Season 1.

That's pretty much how Cheryl comes across so far imo. The rest of the Riverdale Gang know she's a bitch with a heart so they take her snobby attitude in stride.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 5

What a delightful hot mess of a show. I'm definitely in long-term. And even if the writing's very scattershot, there seems to be going more under the surface than just standard teen drama. Helps that the parents are getting some decent material. They're doing a good job "building," the rest of the cast. Things aren't just centered around one love triangle. 

My favorite's still Betty. I know Mary Sue complaints are coming, but I loved the breaking in the car scene. The dynamic between her and Veronica is great, especially since Veronica might be realizing she's way over her head in trying to "corrupt," Betty. 

Speaking of Veronica, she's basically the reincarnation of Blair Waldorf at this point. Also loved the scene between her and her Mom. Going back to my point about Riverdale not being a standard teen drama, I can't think of any other teen soap where the mom would be honest to her daughter that they're basically a family of criminals. 

I'm kinda softening on Archie. He's still the least interesting character but I don't think KJ Apa is that bad. 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, loki567 said:

What a delightful hot mess of a show. I'm definitely in long-term. And even if the writing's very scattershot, there seems to be going more under the surface than just standard teen drama. Helps that the parents are getting some decent material. They're doing a good job "building," the rest of the cast. Things aren't just centered around one love triangle. 

My favorite's still Betty. I know Mary Sue complaints are coming, but I loved the breaking in the car scene. The dynamic between her and Veronica is great, especially since Veronica might be realizing she's way over her head in trying to "corrupt," Betty. 

Speaking of Veronica, she's basically the reincarnation of Blair Waldorf at this point. Also loved the scene between her and her Mom. Going back to my point about Riverdale not being a standard teen drama, I can't think of any other teen soap where the mom would be honest to her daughter that they're basically a family of criminals. 

I'm kinda softening on Archie. He's still the least interesting character but I don't think KJ Apa is that bad. 

This is my only issue with her. I think she's fine, but she reminds me SO much of Blair Waldorf that it can't help but come across as a low rent version of her. Down to the Audrey Hepburn quip and everything. 

At least Betty and Jughead don't remind me of characters from other shows.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

Finally! This is the damn show I've been waiting for for four weeks. Stay away from the after school special social justice nonsense and stick to the mindless cheese that I know you can be. Now onto my ten:

1.  Let's start off with some controversial. That Lodge plan has to go into effect and Veronica has to be one of the driving forces behind thereby bringing her closer to her comic book counterpart.  If we're going to make this sumbitch dark let's go all the way and bring on dark ronnie. We've established the B and V friendship now let's establish their rivalry as well.

On another note, I see Archie choosing between Betty and Veronica as an allegory of old riverdale vs new riverdale.  Well played, writers.

2. Did I just see a blonde Midge? Cmon guys, you can do better then that.

3. Alright, I get that Kevin is gay and all that but is he just going to kiss every closet gay student in Riverdale? 

4. I think they handled the Grundy situation really well. I like that they actually had Archie break up with her before the craziness started.

5. Alice Cooper is starting to become cartoonish with her Archie hate. I'm all for her being an obstacle, but she's a bit much at the moment.

6. So Jughead is homeless and nobody knows or suspects this tidbit?  

7. Could Cheryl have been any more forced into this episode? If you don't have anything for a character to do, don't put them in.

8.  So we can concentrate on the murder mystery at any time now.

9. I can see why Betty likes Archie and I can also see why Archie is not as into Betty. That comment about nobody believing in him was very telling. Those two are on entirely different wavelengths. 

10. It's weird but I actually like what they're doing with Archie. He comes across as the loneliest kid in the room, but he's not an emo bitch about it. I was glad the writers didn't go cliche once he found out that Betty was snooping around in grundy's life.   Also , I think it's fine to have a straight man for all the crazy riverdale personalities to bounce off. That being said, I'm glad that he'll now be forced to interact more with his friends.

• Love 3

I hope that's the end of the Miss Grundy nonsense. 

I'm actually kind of digging all the characters on this show right now. Betty, Veronica and Jughead are the best. I wanna see the three of them sleuthing together, trying to solve Jason's murder. Even Archie is kind of tolerable. And hopefully his character improves a thousandfold with Miss Grundy gone.

Alice Cooper is a great villain. No soft edges on her, just plain crazy. Gotta love it. 

• Love 2

So if Jughead is supposed to be a pretentious, faux-intellectual douche teen, then it's actually not a bad portrayal. That inane prattle about cinema sounded just like stuff I heard media studies kids say at sixth form college. "Cinephiles"? "Moral apathetic choice"? Fuck off, Dawson Leery. Also, they're just deliberately ripping off Dawson's Creek ripping off The Last Picture Show? Okay.

And Riverdale is already approaching Sunnydale standards for bizarre expansion. Now this idyllic little town has a biker gang that runs "the south side"? I guess it'll have a university too, if the show gets to its 4th season.

The Grundy stuff is dumb, from top to bottom. It had better be over, but I'll bet she returns at some point.

Four episodes in, and the girls are still the only parts of this show that are even slightly worthwhile. It's a shame Cheryl is being a bitch again, I kind of liked the idea of the three girls becoming a gang of teen sleuths and problem solvers. But at least Betty and Veronica are being intrepid investigators.

Archie is such a moron. Three episodes ago Betty lays her heart on the table, and now he's just trampling all over her with 'I'm with Grundy, why are you trying to mess it up?' This show seems to have some narrative dissonance where the characters think some things have happened but haven't (like Veronica thinking that Betty and Archie might be arguing about her, for some reason) and forget about some things that have happened.

But Betty knows how to break into a car and pick a lock, which is hot. And she learned some of it from Nancy Drew, which is adorable. If the show was just about the girls, and didn't feature any of the dopey guys at all, it would be much better.

• Love 1

So if Jughead is supposed to be a pretentious, faux-intellectual douche teen, then it's actually not a bad portrayal. That inane prattle about cinema sounded just like stuff I heard media studies kids say at sixth form college. "Cinephiles"? "Moral apathetic choice"? Fuck off, Dawson Leery. Also, they're just deliberately ripping off Dawson's Creek ripping off The Last Picture Show? Okay.

On one hand, can't disagree that Jughead's dialogue in that scene was terrible. Tarantino as the king of the Indies? Are the writers capable of references past the '90s?

On the other hand, the scene comes off better with more info. Jughead probably didn't care about the drive-in at all, he just wanted a roof over his head. His desperation made sense. 

• Love 2