S04.E05: All About Jinger

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, sATL said:

Just what happened during his soccer career - was he:

• cut
  • career ending injury
  • no team picked up him during free agency
  • retired out due to old age (i'm not sure how long soccer players do their sport and new college kids come in faster/better each year)
  • last, but a doubtful choice - he wanted to leave the sport while at the top of his game (ie won championship)

Here's my foggy but I think sort of accurate memory of Jeremy's pro soccer career:  He got released once, from the New York-based U.S. major league team he was on (for a couple of years, maybe? -- not too long, anyway -- and apparently he didn't pan out as they had hoped). He got picked up by that U.S. major-league team after an apparently pretty successful but relatively short stint -- one season, maybe? -- with the Finnish team he started with after college. After his U.S. release, he got picked up by a Texas-based minor-league outfit (or whatever they call it in soccer) and rode the bench as a never-got-called-into-a-game substitute for a short while until they either released him or he quit.

Then he happened to be near some church so I guess he wandered over and asked if he could be a minister cause he thought he was called to it. Or something. Anyway, they immediately sent him out of town, apparently.

1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

Too funny!  I actually broke out the calculator app on my phone after posting and came up with 42.8 mpg.  However, I calculated it using the 17.5 hours they say it took them. 

These people are ridiculous

Maybe they got lost. 

GPS is hard, y'all. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Annb67 said:

How does Jinger like her coffee? Most of them answered hot. WTF is wrong with these idiots??

No they did not.  Come on.  Really?

Sad I missed this episode.  Because I have not yet gotten my fill of Jinge and Babe re-re-re-re-re-re-caps and watching their lives play out on television in reverse.  It's all so riveting.

(yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn)

• Love 3

Regarding the 17 hours, I think Jinger said they made a lot of stops for rest breaks and tourist attractions, so that may explain why the drive was so stretched out. I don't understand why they didn't just box up most of her crap and ship it to Laredo. They certainly have no problem spending thousands to send Dum Dums down to Danger America, so what's a couple hundred to ship Jinger's stash of Goodwill rags? Jed looked pretty cranky stuffed into that backseat. 

I'm honestly kind of surprised that Jeremy couldn't spring for a bigger apartment or small townhouse. The place they're in now was cramped and cluttered even before Jinger moved all her stuff in. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I'm honestly kind of surprised that Jeremy couldn't spring for a bigger apartment or small townhouse. The place they're in now was cramped and cluttered even before Jinger moved all her stuff in. 

I kind of wonder if not upgrading is a subtle way of indicating he's not as interested in a full quiver? He's had the most worldly upbringing of all the 2nd gen hubbies. I can promise you that he has no desire for Jing to produce a baker's dozen. I mark them for 5 kids at the absolute max. I saw one interview where I discerned they heard more from Jill when she was in DA than they're hearing from Laredo at the moment (which is a good thing to me)....I think she's drifting a bit away from Duggarland....

• Love 3

I also doubt that Jer wants as many loinfruit as his in-laws.

But I wonder if his not upgrading his housing indicates his disinterest in staying in Laredo for a hot minute longer than absolutely necessary.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I don't understand why they didn't just box up most of her crap and ship it to Laredo. They certainly have no problem spending thousands to send Dum Dums down to Danger America, so what's a couple hundred to ship Jinger's stash of Goodwill rags? J

They had to get the car to Laredo also. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, asuwur said:

I saw one interview where I discerned they heard more from Jill when she was in DA than they're hearing from Laredo at the moment (which is a good thing to me)....I think she's drifting a bit away from Duggarland....

It definitely seems like it. IIRC, Jinger spent the holidays with Jeremy's side of the family and has yet to make frequent trips back to Arkansas or invite her siblings down to Texas. That tells me she's neither bored nor lonely in Laredo the way Jill was in Danger America. Jessa was the one being pushy about having a guest room so she and Bin could visit, not Jinger. Maybe one Duggar finally got the hang of adulting. Early times, I know, but there's a glimmer of hope.

15 minutes ago, Absolom said:

They had to get the car to Laredo also. 

Right, I understand that, but I would have shipped a majority of my stuff so my brother wasn't contorted like a pretzel in the backseat. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

No one answered, "Black, like her men?" 

Sorry, couldn't let that one pass by... :D

Jill said, "I think she likes it black now." Do they even ever know each other? Seems like they are all perfect strangers.

Who knew Babe had a Master's in Finance?? 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding the 17 hours, I think Jinger said they made a lot of stops for rest breaks and tourist attractions, so that may explain why the drive was so stretched out. 

Agreed. I don't think 17.5 hours is unreasonable for a hour 12 hour trip. I always add 30 minutes per 2.5 hours for bathroom and/or gas and/or food. So that would be another 2-3 hours for this trip. One or two touristy stop could easily tack on another 3 or so hours. That doesn't account for any motion sickness or anything. 

I'm not the type to rush a road trip though. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Evagirl said:

I wish Jeremy would encourage Jinger (on the down low) to get a complete make-over.  She's such a pretty girl, but that black eyeliner and no-style hair doesn't do a thing for her.  If she toned down the eye makeup and got a more flattering hairstyle she'd be stunning.  I think they're so sweet together. 

I hope they wait a year or two before cranking out babies.  I think they'll enjoy it just being the two of them, being able to take off whenever they want and having fun. 

And Jinger is the fashion  guru in the house? Seriously, they need to take that card away from her since her engagement outfit was just a cheap crappy dress with a mixed matched ugly ass sweater on top.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, janey said:

Agreed. I don't think 17.5 hours is unreasonable for a hour 12 hour trip. I always add 30 minutes per 2.5 hours for bathroom and/or gas and/or food. So that would be another 2-3 hours for this trip. One or two touristy stop could easily tack on another 3 or so hours. That doesn't account for any motion sickness or anything. 

I'm guess I'm just the opposite. the more unnecessary stops you make the longer it takes to get somewhere.  driving 12 hrs somewhere is no joke and really not a vacation. A lot of attractions you have to venture to far off the highway to get to, which is out of the way. So either I plan to stop (ie 1/2-way ,call it a day & spend the night) or keep pushing though - getting something to eat & bathroom on the same exit as the gas station. Given they had 3 drivers, when one got tired, they could had just switched off.

I do wonder how much was the car part of the problem. I would have found a PepBoys or something and turned the senor off, and to make sure that's all it was.

I do agree about shipping some of that Goodwill wardrobe ahead. Or bringing some of the clothes when they brought suitcases full of homegoods on the prior visit.

• Love 2
41 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

And Jinger is the fashion  guru in the house? Seriously, they need to take that card away from her since her engagement outfit was just a cheap crappy dress with a mixed matched ugly ass sweater on top.

That's another good point about stuffing the car with her current wardrobe. Jing shared rummage/goodwill finds with 4 other sisters, from a small town, for years. Now she's going to be a pastors/ministers wife. I'm not saying ditch everything and head off to Macy's , but some things might need to stay in Ark. and start a anew. I understand being modest, but some items are just plan frumpy. Given her small frame and age, some of her outfits ages her. Isn't she the smallest b/w Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Joy Anna ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

It definitely seems like it. IIRC, Jinger spent the holidays with Jeremy's side of the family and has yet to make frequent trips back to Arkansas or invite her siblings down to Texas. That tells me she's neither bored nor lonely in Laredo the way Jill was in Danger America. Jessa was the one being pushy about having a guest room so she and Bin could visit, not Jinger. Maybe one Duggar finally got the hang of adulting. Early times, I know, but there's a glimmer of hope.

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, good for Jinger for wanting to be independent and not running back to the family every chance she gets because she's lonely or homesick and maybe she's really loving her life with her husband. When there are 19 kids in the family, just how badly could you be missed?  On the other hand, I hope this is not an indication of Babe's super controlling side. Maybe he wants her away from her family and wants her to do what he wants, when he wants. Sometimes when you marry someone you hardly know another side of them comes out after the wedding. Hope this isn't the case with these two.

• Love 4

Jed drew the chaperone short straw on that trip - even Josie would have a hard time fitting in that car.

They already flew a crap ton of junk down to TX when the "fixed up" Jer's place last time, why did they spend all that time decorating and deciding where this and that should go if she really had so much more to be added including finding a spot on the walls (that Jessa oh so carefully decorated) for poor Rufus.

I know they shop thrift, buy used and all that but words can not express how disgusting I find it that Jinger was trying on used shoes at a garage sale in her bare feet.  Really you should never buy shoes used because they've molded to the previous owner but the idea that she was OK sticking her feet in them, no socks, no stockings, no idea who tried them last, was just so wrong (IMHO)

• Love 4

I've never thrifted before because I'm a coupon/clearance/points queen. I just got back from picking up my free shirt from Kmart. I also get free stuff at Kohl's all the time with Kohl's cash and Yes2You points so with all them Duggar children I can't see how they couldn't rack up a bunch of brand new clothes for free or cheap vs buying thrift. And I too was grossed out by the used shoes. I'm pretty sure that Walmart had little ballet flats on their website for .99 cents. Just have to look for the bargains Jing.

• Love 2

I wish they would do a spin off. Jessa and Bin and Fam moves to Laredo too. Then we get to see Jessa and Jinger venture out into the world and try to be normal people. Maybe Jinger can go to a school in Laredo, for photography or something. One can only hope

Seriously tho, I am only marginally entertained when Jeremy, Bin, Jessa and sometimes Jinger are on the screen. Jill and Derrick are scary and depressing, the rest of the Duggars may as well be potatoes.

• Love 5

I tell you this much Jilly Muffin. Had you tapped me on the shoulder and told me to make a master packing list I would shove a foot so far up your ass your new blessing would have to shove it out. Who in the hell does she think she is? That made me so freaking mad

• Love 9

They should have shown the Jinger we saw last night all season.  She had a personality other than going baaaabe. She seems to have actual relationships with her brothers and sisters.  Her brothers knew what her reaction to the new car would be and will actually miss her as a person rather than as someone who has a role in keeping the family running. She is also somewhat personable with people outside her family (for a Duggar).  Jill always has a blank stare or awkward giggle and Jessa stiffens up and acts quiet, Jinger at least interacts and can make some small talk.

I thought it was weird Jed was heading out with Jinger and Jeremy then I realized he was Jinger's first buddy.  I actually said, "oh, shit" realizing how young she was when given a buddy. 

The thing I liked the best about the episode was no Michelle discussing Jinger as her first home birth or some other BS that had more to do with bringing attention herself than Jinger.    

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 6

I don't support these whackadoodles in any way or harbor any illusions about Jinger becoming more liberal in her beliefs. I feel like I need that disclaimer, because making them appear more normal on TV just makes them that more dangerous. But I will say that her relationship with Babe is easily the most relaxed and comfortable I've seen in any of the fundie royalty families, and that makes me happy for her. They aren't awkward, they have no qualms about touching each other, but it's not squicky either (e.g. Josh and Anna's engaged hand sex). I hope she's happy, and I do hope she finds her own path, but I'm not holding my breath. Her pregnancy announcement should be coming any day now...

• Love 6

Sorry if  this is the wrong thread to talk about the latest nephew - Henry Wilberforce Seewald. It was said so fast during the broadcast of this eposide I missed it. Here's an article stating where the name came from (link). The Seewalds think too much when naming their offspring.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

I tell you this much Jilly Muffin. Had you tapped me on the shoulder and told me to make a master packing list I would shove a foot so far up your ass your new blessing would have to shove it out. Who in the hell does she think she is? That made me so freaking mad

Did you catch Jana's look she gave her? if looks could kill, jilly muffin would be dead. I don't even think she acknowledged the statement. 

• Love 5

But...but...but...Jilly Muffin is the expert, having to put stuff in storage, sell stuff at a garage sale, and take the bare minimum (including an immersion blender, I'm sure) to Danger America. 

Seriously? Jessa is the organizer and the one trait I've always admired of hers; I share the trait. If anyone should have been helping Jinger (who didn't look like she needed a lot of help), it would have been Jessa.....who sat passively on the bed. 

4 hours ago, janey said:

I think it took us three days, maybe three and a half, to do a diagonal cross-country trip when moving from San Diego to Connecticut. We stopped for a couple of really quick tourist things. My husband got cranky when he found out he couldn't just drive past the Grand Canyon and see it from the car, but actually had to park and walk for a bit. That was about the extent of his patience for sight seeing on the way. The kids were still young then, too...it was not the most fun of road trips ever.

• Love 5

I'm all for nepotism if Chuck Voulo is the one to get Jeremy assigned to a larger church.  I'm hoping they will keep a distance from the Duggar homestead. I want Jeremy and Jinger to pull a Katie Holmes and work with his dad to get away from Gothardism.  I'm really hoping that they don't get sucked back into the Duggar vortex (a new church and big house is a trap, Jinger and Jeremy!)  Jinger's future kids deserve better than that. 

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

No they did not.  Come on.  Really?

Sad I missed this episode.  Because I have not yet gotten my fill of Jinge and Babe re-re-re-re-re-re-caps and watching their lives play out on television in reverse.  It's all so riveting.

(yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn)

They actually said that. Several of them, in fact, had the exact same response.

5 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

her engagement outfit was just a cheap crappy dress with a mixed matched ugly ass sweater on top.

That's all their outfits all the time, right? 

I'm thinking they wouldn't know a fashion guru if they fell over her/him.

2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  998K viewers and a .31 rating.

I like it. They broke a million in the right direction. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

But I wonder if his not upgrading his housing indicates his disinterest in staying in Laredo for a hot minute longer than absolutely necessary.

THIS. How can they be on TV if they're stuck off in Laredo!!

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I think Jeremy is waiting for his big break when he gets a large church...

I think that, too. But then I wonder -- his dad doesn't even seem to have that, really, does he? And yet it does strike me that it's very likely Jeremy's "plan," so to speak. 

18 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

It was hilarious to see Jed's little head poking out from under all the junk in the back of the car.  What a miserable 17 hour ride that must have been for him, pinned down under a ton of stuff.  

There was a flashback of Jessa on a plane reading a magazine.  Anyone see what magazine?  It had to be either People or In Touch or some other Duggar-centric magazine.

Yeah, that gave me a giggle.  

He HAD to be miserable!  My parents used to do shit like this when they dragged me to Utah to see family.  We would go up in an empty truck (me in the truck bed that had a shell) and come back with only enough room for me to sit with my legs extended (couldn't lay down and couldn't bend my legs) for over 12 hours.  I had to be at the gate end so I could fling it open and get out when we stopped.  All it would have taken was one accident where we were rear ended and I would have been dead.  These were the same parents who would stop in Vegas and make me and my sisters wait in the car while they gambled.  Oh the great parenting of the 70s!

• Love 9

I think Jeremy did 'upgrade' his apartment. I thought they said in the last episode he moved from a one bedroom to a two bedroom.

I wonder if Jessa is missing Jinger. Who does she have left now, Michelle-in-Training-Jill, her Once-Enemy-Single-and-Unworthy-Jana, or Clueless-and-Courting-Joy?

• Love 2

I have a little hope for Jinge after she refused to buy typical cowboy boots and instead picked out some others (which were ugly but she seemed to consider them "city" boots).  And then seeing her in the photo with some knee showing.  You go girl!!!  Now my hope is that they avoid pregnancy for the first year or so, or until Jeremy gets himself a decent job.  I would love to see Jinge refuse to play the pregnancy game.  I do hope the cameras do some filming in Laredo--Jinger has far more personality than any other Duggar. 

My original thought was that Jinger wouldn't make a good preacher's wife, putting on dinner for the congregation every Sunday,  But really, Duggars are good at parties.  Cooking is not necessary--just hit up Costco and Sam's Club and throw it on the table with paper plates and plasticware.

• Love 1

The boots Jing picked are actually classic ladies lace-up roper boots......Not "city" boots at all, definitely country and very common for riding.  Plus really comfy.  I lived outside Dallas for a few years & had a pair I practically lived in.  

• Love 2

Jer went to grad school for finance? So he wants to be a fake minister, why exactly?? I don't get these Duggar men - which is what these sons in law are. Why so desperate to be in the "ministry" - when it's fake churches or judging from the house Jeremy preaches in, a "church" with a congregation of 10. I imagine it amounts to like 10 hrs work/wk. Sure he probably spends all day Sunday there - but aside from that - how much Christian counseling is happening at 10 am on Tuesday when I imagine his flock has to be working to earn a living? I imagine he has (or started w/o graduating) a masters in finance program - since that'd be 1 yr right after undergrad, rather than an MBA which would be 2 yrs and may require some work experience beforehand. Not that Jinger would know the difference. But he could get himself a real corporate gig in Laredo with even just a finance undergrad and earn at least 50k/yr with benefits etc. And then he could spend his nights on fundie ministering and youth groups and preach on weekends if he so desired. Why make this ministry his full time work??

Where exactly is Jer's apartment in Laredo? There were 5 -- count them 5 -- locks on his door. I've lived in big cities, so I get it -- but damn -- do the Duggars feel that is a safe situation for their daughter? A corporate gig may allow him to get an apartment in a nicer part of town.

Haven't kept up with Jinger/Jer so have no idea what their life has looked like post-marriage, though I know Christmas was in Pa. and it doesn't seem (from her Instagram) that she's gone running back to Arkansas. Usually with fundie couples, when they move far from both families and are super quiet -- it means at first they are enjoying banging their brains out and then are busy going fundie-lite and are too busy with TV, movies, sports, and friends to go running home all the time -- i.e. Alyssa Webster and John in Florida.  But in this case - I don't know. Jer is just as fundie and for whatever reasons comes off as controlling. So the fact that they are spending the holidays in Pa. and not back in Arkansas yet could be demands by Jer that they must spend the first x months working on their marriage or whatever before they take any trips back to Arkansas etc.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, cereality said:

Jer went to grad school for finance? So he wants to be a fake minister, why exactly?? I don't get these Duggar men - which is what these sons in law are. Why so desperate to be in the "ministry" - when it's fake churches or judging from the house Jeremy preaches in, a "church" with a congregation of 10. I imagine it amounts to like 10 hrs work/wk. Sure he probably spends all day Sunday there - but aside from that - how much Christian counseling is happening at 10 am on Tuesday when I imagine his flock has to be working to earn a living? I imagine he has (or started w/o graduating) a masters in finance program - since that'd be 1 yr right after undergrad, rather than an MBA which would be 2 yrs and may require some work experience beforehand. Not that Jinger would know the difference. But he could get himself a real corporate gig in Laredo with even just a finance undergrad and earn at least 50k/yr with benefits etc. And then he could spend his nights on fundie ministering and youth groups and preach on weekends if he so desired. Why make this ministry his full time work??

That's why I too was asking about his soccer career this morning. There is a piece of the story I don't know, either. Yes, Jeremy could have always been religious but to go from Masters program in finance/economics to soccer to ministry, doesn't add up really. Yes, people do change careers - usually after they STARTED one. This is a 180 degree turnabout.   It would make sense if one always wanted to be a minister, you would get your masters in a field that is more directed towards the ministry , like theology, psychology, counseling, communications, etc. If he went into grad school to extend his ncaa playing eligibility (meaning he didn't play all 4 undergrad years), he chose a business major - odd, if you want to be a preacher. I wonder was he at least the team chaplain when he played soccer.

Jeremey's not far from the stunt Derrick pulled by quitting a good paying job to "go full time in the ministry". Like you said, who said ministry has to be your full time gig? Like any business, one might have to work two jobs until one is self-sufficient , esp. now that have married.

I admire the strength of their parents , Vulvo/Dillard Sr . If these "men" (and I use that term loosely) were my offspring.....let me calm down & breathe & meditate....huummmm

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2

A LOT of athletes want to stay in school for 5 yrs -- often bc they are close to getting recruiting but their stats aren't quite good enough by yr 4 or they had to redshirt a yr and thus want to be able to show more goals etc. in yr 5. So it's very common for them to get a grad degree in something (bc you have to be enrolled in the school so if undergrad is done, you enroll in any grad program). But you're right - I imagine he did a finance (or accounting or econ or something similar) undergrad and thus had the basic knowledge to enroll in the finance masters. All of which are odd choices for someone who wants to be a minister. Though I feel like we've heard that he had a "normal" college life -- i.e. drinking; partying etc. So from ages 18-23 and while on the soccer circuit, he likely WASN'T trying to be a minister. I mean maybe it's just me but I 100% do NOT believe that Jer was a virgin at marriage - born again - sure, but he NEVER messed around with any girl when he was playing pro soccer in Finland, I don't buy it.

As for his soccer career - don't know the details - but I get the sense he wasn't that successful bc he only played a few yrs and was on like 3-4 separate teams, which means he was getting traded away. I looked into it when the engagement was announced, and I recall that the soccer career ended when the last team he was with went bankrupt - and I assume he couldn't get himself on another one, so he had to find something to do. So I'm thinking he was couch surfing with TLC and Joel Osteen and the like and conveniently found the "ministry" -- I mean why adjust to 40 hrs a wk at age 27 if you can have a "job" where you're out and about and working 10 hrs/wk. Same stunt as Derick I think - they find their girl on TLC and then conveniently turn into "ministers" as they hop on the TLC gravy train and hop on a virgin bride.

As for the parents - Dillard Sr. passed away when Derick was a college frosh and I honestly think Derick would NOT be married to Jill or would at least be working a corporate job even if he were married to Jill if he had guidance from his dad when coming of age. Jer - IDK - the dad seems nuts too, so he's probably proud of his son . . . .

• Love 4

Ministry seems to be a minimum requirement for any Duggar suitor.  On the other hand, none of the Duggar boys with their oil changing and house flipping skills seem to have any interest in or ability to be ministers.  Duggar boys, aside from Josh, seem completely inarticulate. I think Babe and Jinge have a goal of moving back East but that won't be easy without a seminary education.

ETA:  I just read something interesting about Pastor Chuck Vuolo.  Apparently he ministers to Amish and ex-Amish.

http://www.amishawareness.com/featured-speakers.html

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, cereality said:

A LOT of athletes want to stay in school for 5 yrs -- often bc they are close to getting recruiting but their stats aren't quite good enough by yr 4 or they had to redshirt a yr and thus want to be able to show more goals etc. in yr 5. So it's very common for them to get a grad degree in something (bc you have to be enrolled in the school so if undergrad is done, you enroll in any grad program). But you're right - I imagine he did a finance (or accounting or econ or something similar) undergrad and thus had the basic knowledge to enroll in the finance masters. All of which are odd choices for someone who wants to be a minister. Though I feel like we've heard that he had a "normal" college life -- i.e. drinking; partying etc. So from ages 18-23 and while on the soccer circuit, he likely WASN'T trying to be a minister. I mean maybe it's just me but I 100% do NOT believe that Jer was a virgin at marriage - born again - sure, but he NEVER messed around with any girl when he was playing pro soccer in Finland, I don't buy it.

As for his soccer career - don't know the details - but I get the sense he wasn't that successful bc he only played a few yrs and was on like 3-4 separate teams, which means he was getting traded away. I looked into it when the engagement was announced, and I recall that the soccer career ended when the last team he was with went bankrupt - and I assume he couldn't get himself on another one, so he had to find something to do. So I'm thinking he was couch surfing with TLC and Joel Osteen and the like and conveniently found the "ministry" -- I mean why adjust to 40 hrs a wk at age 27 if you can have a "job" where you're out and about and working 10 hrs/wk. Same stunt as Derick I think - they find their girl on TLC and then conveniently turn into "ministers" as they hop on the TLC gravy train and hop on a virgin bride.

As for the parents - Dillard Sr. passed away when Derick was a college frosh and I honestly think Derick would NOT be married to Jill or would at least be working a corporate job even if he were married to Jill if he had guidance from his dad when coming of age. Jer - IDK - the dad seems nuts too, so he's probably proud of his son . . . .

^^^ Lots of good points there. I'm sure that Jer worked his dad's fundie church connections to get that "ministry" gig after his soccer career was over. He didn't study for the ministry in college, as @cereality said. I don't like the guy. I don't even think he's all that good-looking. But I hope he treats Jinger well and has some kind of decent career.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, riverblue22 said:

Ministry seems to be a minimum requirement for any Duggar suitor.  On the other hand, none of the Duggar boys with their oil changing and house flipping skills seem to have any interest in or ability to be ministers.  Duggar boys, aside from Josh, seem completely inarticulate. I think Babe and Jinge have a goal of moving back East but that won't be easy without a seminary education.

Totally agree that Babe wants to be back on the east coast - his whole family is in PA and his friends all seem to be in NY/NJ. Jing would likely be agreeable to it bc her goal always was "big city" - and even suburban NJ is a big cosmopolitan area compared to rural Arkansas or Laredo. Plus even if Jing wasn't agreeable - Jer seems domineering - I imagine he'd pull the "headship" stance. But honestly I don't see it happening bc NYC is very high cost of living - and even NJ and Pa are pretty expensive compared to Tx or Arkansas. So ministering 10 hrs/wk is not going to cut it. Though he does have a finance degree and is a Syracuse grad so likely there's a decent alumni network in NY state/NJ etc. - so if he REALLY wanted to make it happen, he could get a real 9-5 job.

Did anyone else see the picture behind Jeremy in the interviews in their apartment? I swear it was Jinger, her dress, Michelle, and at least one other woman. I saw it at least twice. Struck me odd for him to have a framed pic before the wedding.

21 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Jinger seems to be the most universally liked sister.  The siblings all got subtle digs in while "praising" the other girls--Jill the Prison Snitch and Jessa the Chaingang Warden.  Nothing negative or underhanded thrown in.  

It wouldn’t surprise me if Jinger is the favorite sister.  She appears to be easy going and mild mannered.  I had no idea she and Joseph were so close. I can’t think of one scene or conversation that hinted at such.  I teared up when seeing him for first time in nine weeks, she said quietly and to no one in particular, “I just want to hug him.”  I hope she follows in Alyssa Bates’ footsteps and keep some distance between her family. 

Josiah seems to be a nice and friendly guy.  I distinctively remember when Jim Bob announced to the family that Jessa and Ben were officially courting, he was the first to shake Ben’s hand and say, “welcome to the family.”  On last night’s episode, I noticed that he greeted Jeremy and gave him a “man hug.”  I hope he meets someone soon. 

• Love 6

I recently bought a pair of cowgirl boots for line dancing.  The soles are all leather and very slick and shiny until roughed up with wear. I noticed when Jinger tried on her boots, the pair she ended up buying, the soles were very roughed up and worn looking. They seemed like used boots.

Also, that was one tiny kitchen!

And I saw no sign of Jessa's thrift store mug tree.  I did see mugs hanging from wall hooks.

• Love 1

I can see Jinger being the most well liked sister. She's not a snitch like Jill or a bitch like Jessa and she has some personality unlike Jana and Joy who are ridiculously boring. I do remember that episode when they went to go get Joseph at Alert. It was freaking weird bc just the way Jinger was looking at him and talking about wanting to hug him - it honestly came across the way a girlfriend talks about a boyfriend whose been gone all semester, not the way a sister talks about a brother no matter how close. And then there was some full frontal hug action going on btwn Jinger and Joseph. Not a big deal in normal families, but to make SUCH a big deal about separation of sexes and then to be THAT googly eyed over your own brother - kinda makes you wonder WTH is up in that home?!?

• Love 3
19 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding the 17 hours, I think Jinger said they made a lot of stops for rest breaks and tourist attractions, so that may explain why the drive was so stretched out. I don't understand why they didn't just box up most of her crap and ship it to Laredo. They certainly have no problem spending thousands to send Dum Dums down to Danger America, so what's a couple hundred to ship Jinger's stash of Goodwill rags? Jed looked pretty cranky stuffed into that backseat. 

Yeah, I immediately thought "well, all the Starbucks and post-restroom breaks, no doubt."  

15 hours ago, birkenstock said:

They should have shown the Jinger we saw last night all season.  She had a personality other than going baaaabe. She seems to have actual relationships with her brothers and sisters.  Her brothers knew what her reaction to the new car would be and will actually miss her as a person rather than as someone who has a role in keeping the family running. She is also somewhat personable with people outside her family (for a Duggar).  Jill always has a blank stare or awkward giggle and Jessa stiffens up and acts quiet, Jinger at least interacts and can make some small talk.

I thought it was weird Jed was heading out with Jinger and Jeremy then I realized he was Jinger's first buddy.  I actually said, "oh, shit" realizing how young she was when given a buddy. 

The thing I liked the best about the episode was no Michelle discussing Jinger as her first home birth or some other BS that had more to do with bringing attention herself than Jinger.    

I find Jinger interesting because she seems to be one of the few Duggar siblings equipped to sit quietly with her own thoughts.  I think she'll miss her family but won't be Barnacle Jill, and is probably happy being alone from time to time in her own home.  That's probably at least part of her delight with everything unveiled in Jeremy's cramped little bachelor pad.  Things which = "independence", and also "possession of something not shared with the whole world".

As for Jeremy & Jing moving to the East Coast, it's interesting because I've had this discussion with friends in New England, and everything's expensive in the same way, so not sure they could afford to unless they inherited an "owned place".  In fact, to some extent I feel it's been the case when family members have considered year round rentals in the Carolinas - there is a minimum East Coast baseline rent, below which things won't drop.  You may get more bang for your buck - the top floor of a house vs. a cramped studio - but there seems to be no proportional "discount", no "Sure, you can take this 300 square foot apartment in Rochester NY, and we'll only charge you $300 a month in exchange".   The "lowest rent", is the "lowest rent", and closer to $1,300 than $300 - the sizes of the apartments just change.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1