Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E07: I Have No Time For Anyone's Ego Except My Own

13 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

A common theme I see in comments is that George relied more on his team. Isn't that the sign of a good manager? If it were someone who wanted to do everything or micromanage, I would go crazy. I've worked for people like that. :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with relying on a team, micromanaging is the worst. But George did have a huge advantage in having Carson as his team member. Carson is creative and organised. He is a true talent to have on any team. Whereas, Matt's team consists of not terribly creative people. They were all looking to Matt for creativity and although Matt is somewhat creative, he can't compete with Carson or George on the creativity portion. Carson did a lot to elevate George's task but I don't think Matt's team members did. They were hardworking and did what he asked but didn't contribute a ton of new ideas (from what I can see). Kyle making a comment to Matt that the photos were not creative enough, while not giving a better suggestion is not exactly helpful. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 6

I would watch another season with Arnold. He didn't pick up on the subtle nuances or game playing like Trump did, but he also didn't flirt with the women or get randomly angry at contestants. If it comes back, they need to spend more time on each task.

Same here. He totally grew on me. He was funny and all his decisions made sense. (Compared to his predecessor, who would apply principles inconsistently and fire people for bad performances weeks beforehand.) 

I hope the show comes back. At its essence it's just watching human nature and psychology.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Can someone get Caitlyn Jenner a stylist, please?

Also, Caitlyn completely forgot to talk in a feminine voice, although there had been voice training after surgery.  I was surprised to hear that deep voice coming out of someone dressed so elegantly.

• Love 1

Matt's tagline was awesome.  That alone would have made me give him the win.

Although I recall the cruise guy saying that the vibe of each cruise line was different.  BG was appealing to the one that was for people who wanted a more relaxed pampered experience.  Matt was trying to appeal to a different line...the one that spoke to people who wanted more adventure.  I may not be explaining those very well but both tag lines were great for their respective audiences only I think Matt's was perfection - and probably could be used for all the lines.

I did like BG a great deal and the it was a close call so both should be proud.  Still, it seemed as if Matt got the win without any question or hesitation.  He nailed it all season long.

I really wish we had the two-hour finale, though.  Or maybe 90 minutes.  One hour wasn't long enough, and I would like to have seen more of the work each did for their campaigns - not just the singers.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6

So I think I'm a minority of one, but I thoroughly enjoyed this season.  I enjoyed Arnold very much, he was on point and consistent and funny and seemed rational when deciding who to terminate. I loved Matt winning.  I loved having one hour shows and I know everyone else didn't.  Back when the shows were two hours it would be forever in each task and forever in the boardroom.  This was perfect to me, just enough time to see it all without getting bogged down.  The only thing is I think the finale should be two hours, because there's a lot more going on and I would like to see some more reaction after the winner is announced. Great season I hope it comes back 

Edited by Rbonnie
Damn you, autocorrect! Changing my words!
  • Love 8

I've watched every episode of The Apprentice and Celebrity Apprentice and everything about this is vastly different. In a nutshell, the tone and culture went from intolerant and hateful to joyful. I'm a fan of Arnold's Apprentice unlike how I'd hate-watch his predecessor. 

Matt is so likeable and I therefore find him perfectly boring. I can't be unhappy for him but also can't root for/be excited about him. I have good feelings about both these finalists so it was a wonderfully refreshing season.

• Love 3

I'm probably in the minority, but Matt's comedy was corny as hell.  I thought BGs performance was spectacularly better.  He sang two original songs, and karma chameleon which is a huge classic.  Versus Wilson Phillips doing one song and Matt doing some corny jokes.  I didn't see ninjas so maybe that tipped the scales.

Matt is a good guy, and it's fine, but I really thought BGs team was better

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, RealReality said:

I'm probably in the minority, but Matt's comedy was corny as hell.  I thought BGs performance was spectacularly better.  He sang two original songs, and karma chameleon which is a huge classic.  Versus Wilson Phillips doing one song and Matt doing some corny jokes.  I didn't see ninjas so maybe that tipped the scales.

Matt is a good guy, and it's fine, but I really thought BGs team was better

I'm sure we didn't see their whole shows . . . who knows how many songs Wilson Phillips did.  I fully agree that the pictures from BG's campaign were superior, but the rest of what we saw was just clips.  And Matt's impersonation of Ahnuld in front of Ahnuld was hysterical.  

• Love 9
14 hours ago, anonymiss said:

I've watched every episode of The Apprentice and Celebrity Apprentice and everything about this is vastly different. In a nutshell, the tone and culture went from intolerant and hateful to joyful. I'm a fan of Arnold's Apprentice unlike how I'd hate-watch his predecessor. 

Co-signed!

• Love 8

I ended up really liking Matt and I'm glad he won. Think he deserved it. Especially if my Carson couldn't take it all. 

What was with Porshas WTF look when Tyra said Matt was handsome? Not cool. Even if you don't think he is. He is a straight laced type handsome. Lol

i enjoyed the hell outta Arnold! 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, TiredMe said:

What was with Porshas WTF look when Tyra said Matt was handsome? Not cool. Even if you don't think he is. He is a straight laced type handsome. Lol

I am not entirely sure what Porsha said, but I got the impression she was trying to be cute and not insulting.  She kind of smiled after her little side eye to Matt.  It was not very smooth and entirely unnecessary.  But I don't think she really meant any harm.  

Matt is obviously (as you say) a traditionally handsome man and Porsha darn well knows it.  I don't know why she felt the need to interject herself into that moment.  It was dumb and kind of childish.  

• Love 3

The ratings seem to have been pretty good. NBC's 'The Celebrity Apprentice' Grows 14 Percent Week-to-Week in Adults 18-49 & Tops Prior Finale. Guess that's why a certain former host stopped tweeting how much better the show was under him.

Versus the prior cycle’s finale, “The Celebrity Apprentice” increased by +7% in adult 18-49 rating (1.6 vs. 1.5 from 9-11 p.m. ET on Sunday, May 19, 2013) and was up +13% in total viewers (5.989 million vs. 5.300 million).   In addition to outscoring the prior cycle’s finale, last night’s “Celebrity Apprentice” topped all 12 telecasts of that prior cycle in total viewers.

I'm feeling confident it will be renewed.  I'd also like to see Carson get a steady gig again.

• Love 5

Matt going around everywhere with his big trusty backpack is adorable. And even though he is in the entertainment industry now, you can really tell he is from STEM background the way he conducts his meetings. It always start with listing out the objectives/ agenda. He even printed them out as visual aids in the previous task. 

And I also like that when Kyle and Carnie were having a giggle fit in the van, Matt didn't make any comment asking them to refocus or be unnecessarily bossy in the moment. Kyle then turned around and apologized to him without him saying anything. Someone who takes themselves seriously like Laila would probably ask them to shut it down after a while. I even thought George was a bit short with Laila and Porscha during the photoshoot. I get that they were on a schedule but on this task, they were just there to help him. He could have been more patient towards them. 

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 3
On 2/14/2017 at 0:51 PM, wings707 said:

Matt raised $573,329 and BG $445,925.  I had those reversed in my mind.  Wiki is way off!

I ate in the dining room for dinner but did the buffet for lunch.  I love buffets because you can get a little taste of so many different things.  Love that!  I must have eaten at off peak times.  On the Alaskan cruise they cooked salmon to order at a buffet station, so I could order it medium.  Delicious.   Sorry for the OT

This may open some doors for Matt; he is wasted hosting that show.  

If Boy George had sat on his donations from Vince Neils project (approximately $120k as previously mentioned) - as is a strategy of many contestants, and saved them for this task, he would have wound up raising more.  I couldn't remember, had Matt brought in any significant donations on any previous fund raising tasks?  If not, kudos for him for the strategy, but BG deserves the win then because of his unselfishness. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, seasquared said:

If Boy George had sat on his donations from Vince Neils project (approximately $120k as previously mentioned) - as is a strategy of many contestants, and saved them for this task, he would have wound up raising more.  I couldn't remember, had Matt brought in any significant donations on any previous fund raising tasks?  If not, kudos for him for the strategy, but BG deserves the win then because of his unselfishness. 

Matt said he didn't have a lot of resources for raising money, but I seem to remember a couple of good-sized checks coming in from his efforts during the candy money-raising campaign.  He doesn't strike me as the type to hold back.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Matt said he didn't have a lot of resources for raising money, but I seem to remember a couple of good-sized checks coming in from his efforts during the candy money-raising campaign.  He doesn't strike me as the type to hold back.

Most of his donations in the final event seemed to come from Arthritis-specific specific sources. You can't just redirect someone else's donation to a concussion institute (Ricky's charity) if it's the cause that has them motivated. So I could easily believe he tapped his flexible resources during the candy and that "holding back" wasn't relevant.

• Love 4

If each of the elements of the Carnivale final challenge were worth 1 point, here's how I'd score them:

• Photoshoot: Team Boy George - 1
  • event room and experience - Team Matt - 1
  • variety show - Team Boy George - 1
  • Fundraising - Team Matt - 1

With the score tied 2 to 2, and given the historical importance of fundraising on this show, Matt raising $127,000 more than Boy George tips the scale to Matt for the win, as objective as I can be.

• Love 1

I'm curious to know how much of Matt's fundraising was brought in by Kyle. I'm just curious because I watch RHOBH and so I know from that show she has big pockets and family and friends with even bigger ones.  I wanted Matt to win and was disappointed when I saw the unbalanced final teams. I was hoping though that Kyle might be Matt's secret weapon.  He did win the fundraising and I wonder if she was a big part of it, or was it actually the huge amount kicked in by the arthritis community? Guess I'll never know lol 

• Love 1

I was trying to find a breakdown of who gave how much money, but it's not published. One fact about Matt that did surprise me is that he does stand-up comedy and says it's his first love. All that work to become a doctor and he'd rather be on stage. :)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Rbonnie said:

I'm curious to know how much of Matt's fundraising was brought in by Kyle. I'm just curious because I watch RHOBH and so I know from that show she has big pockets and family and friends with even bigger ones.  I wanted Matt to win and was disappointed when I saw the unbalanced final teams. I was hoping though that Kyle might be Matt's secret weapon.  He did win the fundraising and I wonder if she was a big part of it, or was it actually the huge amount kicked in by the arthritis community? Guess I'll never know lol 

I suspect most of the money came from his charity.  Charities for large and well known causes always have big money donors.  Rheumatoid Arthritis is a pretty well known condition, and so its very likely they have big money donors, from pharma companies to foundations to private donors.

Many of those donors are going to make a large donation every year, at some point.  So, it makes sense for them to make their donation for something like this, because not only does it get the charity public airtime, but, if the rules are still the same, the winner takes the entire pot of money.

So, in essence, the donation is doubled..  If person A donates 50k to Matt's charity, and he ends up getting the entire pot of like almost a million dollars, their donation is almost doubled.  And person A was going to donate the 50k during the year regardless.

Versus BG's charity, which focused on a relatively small problem that probably doesn't affect a large number of people.  He wouldn't really be able to go to his charity for the "deep pocket donors" because there aren't that many.  It sounds like he mostly called his friends for donations, and still managed to raise an amount somewhere in the range of what Matt raised.

I guess a fundraising task as the final task is always going to be inherently unfair, but it is kinda messed up that the person with the biggest charity ends up getting an advantage because their charity has "deep pocket donors."  

• Love 4
9 hours ago, RealReality said:

I suspect most of the money came from his charity.  Charities for large and well known causes always have big money donors.  Rheumatoid Arthritis is a pretty well known condition, and so its very likely they have big money donors, from pharma companies to foundations to private donors.

I noticed a big check from a corporate donor (CVS, I think). It stood out to me since you usually just hear about celebrities donating in the finale.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I noticed a big check from a corporate donor (CVS, I think). It stood out to me since you usually just hear about celebrities donating in the finale.

Does anyone remember if CVS was also a sponsor of the show?

I'm not surprised Matt was able to fundraise a lot of money in the final task, especially for a charity for a serious medical condition. He raised 30k during Ricky's fundraising from his contacts and that is not too shabby but considerably less compared to 100k raised by George for Vince. George obviously knows more big name celebs than Matt. But for the finale, the specific charity mattered more than the celeb power in Matt's case. And Matt is from the medical community (his father is a doctor and he himself has an M.D.), so he would get a lot of support from there as well, especially for a medical related charity.

• Love 1

I'm happy with the winner but I would have preferred the live version. 

The Donald brought everyone back in the previous episodes and stretched it out for 2 hours, but it was entertaining.

I don't think the show will be coming back.   I did like Arnold, but it felt rushed and half the celebrities weren't as well known as the previous seasons. 

• Love 1
On 2/18/2017 at 7:00 AM, cooksdelight said:

Does anyone remember if CVS was also a sponsor of the show?

I don't think so, unless it was done subtly. But Walgreens was a sponsor in the past so I can't imagine a competitor would want to follow in their steps but fill a lesser role.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Amarsir said:

I don't think so, unless it was done subtly. But Walgreens was a sponsor in the past so I can't imagine a competitor would want to follow in their steps but fill a lesser role.

True, I remember how many Walgreens I had to hit up to find Penn's ice cream flavor.  

Credit where its due, that was a great way to connect the sponsor to the show.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 2/17/2017 at 8:39 AM, RealReality said:

guess a fundraising task as the final task is always going to be inherently unfair, but it is kinda messed up that the person with the biggest charity ends up getting an advantage because their charity has "deep pocket donors."  

When Trace Adkins was on CA the first time, he made it to the finals. His charity was something about food allergies, and he lost. When Trace played the second time, his charity was the Red Cross, and he won. I don't think it's messed up, it's just the way the world works. I can't imagine anyone with a niche charity raising enough money to win.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2