Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E05: Casus Belli

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Damn, Dar kidnapped the President-elect. I looking forward to him getting his soon. The whole plot is unraveling faster than I thought it would. 

I have never trusted Dar, even when his explanations seem to clear up whatever nefarious activities he has going on. He is so sketchy. No one should ever turn their back on him!

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, HollyG said:

I have never trusted Dar, even when his explanations seem to clear up whatever nefarious activities he has going on. He is so sketchy. No one should ever turn their back on him!

You have to wonder how Dar thought he could get away with this, then again, he probably would have if Quinn didn't spot the guy spying on Carrie and followed him. The minute Carrie and Saul have their first conversation they will figure it out.

I have the say that the FBI guy was more receptive to Carrie's warning about a third party than I thought. He will be looking to get his own back on Dar also.

I wonder about the President-elect. Is she a typical craven politician who can be psychologically manipulated by Dar or does she go after him? I hope she gives the order to terminate him. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 6

"I wonder about the President-elect. Is she a typical craven politician who can be psychologically manipulated by Dar or does she go after him. I hope she gives the order to terminate him".

For the moment the President-elect seems naive and ruled by emotion because of her son's death. It remains to be seen if she has what it takes to play political volley in Washington DC.

Edited by HollyG
forgot to quote a post

Ah, here were have that long awaited episode in which Homeland steps on the gas!

Between this show and endless seasons of 24, I have seen hostage drama played out many, many times. This one was one of the better ones. We the viewers know that of course Quinn won't hurt Franny or the babysitter... but they don't know that, nor do either of them know why Quinn isn't functioning like a normal human being. And Carrie did warn the ESU that Quinn was a commando with PTSD and they ought not fuck with him, a lesson they only learn five seconds after deciding to do so. Now I will wonder why ESU didn't toss some flash-bang grenades in first but I suppose the presence of a young hostage might preclude them from doing that.

Another great moment was how we saw Frannie showing Quinn how to do that butt-scoot on the stairs and during the hostage crisis he does it in reverse to get into position!

I feel as though this has been partially answered (Dar is the villain) but I will wonder anyhow: why is Dar Adal so surprised that Saul would ask his number one Iranian asset about something going on in Iran? Javadi was high enough in the Iranian intel community to at least be able to find out what is going on if he doesn't already know. But Dar's reaction is more like "oh, that guy?!" when Javadi should have been the first one they asked.

So who is Carrie's mysterious source? Well, she was rude to her NSA friend, admitting she ambushed him. But she didn't push hard enough because he filed a contact report and someone above him picked up the ball. So it must have been someone Carrie was really fucking rude to. Ergo, Dar Adal.

• Love 3

So: it was established in this episode that the NSA guy Carrie tried to manipulate into giving her the phone tape did not comply and instead reported her. Somebody higher up saw the request and somebody else gave Carrie what she wanted and it successfully got Sekou released. This is being tied into some spy activity going on across the street from where Carrie lives that is connected to the guy who robbed Quinn and to whoever set up Sekou at that moving company and planted that bomb in his truck for him to be the terrorist bomber. 

And Quinn has the proof in the photos on his phone? How is Dar involved? Is he behind this set up? 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 1

Wow. That was intense. I was ready to go ballistic if they killed off Quinn just as he was getting on the right track. I'm a bit fuzzy on Dar's agenda and how he personally benefits from creating a fake terrorist attack and undermining the Prez-elect, but he needs to go. What a great villain. Can't wait for Saul to put him behind bars.

Edited by numbnut
  • Love 4

That was a crazy episode. 

Wow at Quinn going rambo in the house. I kind of laughed when he threw the reporter down the stairs, she was really annoying her her constantly knocking on the private property.  Quinn has the power to piece this all together and Carried realized it by looking at the phone.

The guy watching the house planted the bomb, called the press, and is probably paid by Dar since he put on that fake show telling the President Elect about Carrie being involved and kidnapped the President elect. Risky move Dar since she's already figured it out and will blame him. 

• Love 3

Forgot to mention. I laughed when Quinn shot the guy who threw the rock. The guy's reaction to being shot was hilarious. That should teach a lesson to the people that Dar hires for his games.

I enjoyed Quinn in action. He broke so many laws, but he should be off the hook by next week episode. I wonder how Dar will react to his scheme going awry so quickly thanks to Peter.

Franny was sweet with Hop and scooting on the stairs. I hope that her relationship with Quinn can be repaired.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5

There was a lot to like about this episode, but I just don't know if I can watch Quinn being knocked around (storywise) any more.  Damn, give the guy a break!  Not too crazy about the "Carrie to the rescue" set-up with the phone, either, it seems like a tired plot device - but  I did like Carrie's new, less impulsive behavior, she's actually likeable when it comes to her daughter.

Can someone tell me if Sol knows what Dar is doing, or if he even suspects what a nefarious creep he is?  And how does one get away with kidnapping the prez-elect and keeping her incommunicado? And do we know or just suspect that the higher-up who let Carrie be tipped off is Dar?  

LOVED Quinn shoving that bitch reporter down the stairs and shooting at the rock-thrower - such unfiltered and understandable reactions.  Oh hell, I guess I just love Quinn!

• Love 7
8 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I feel as though this has been partially answered (Dar is the villain) but I will wonder anyhow: why is Dar Adal so surprised that Saul would ask his number one Iranian asset about something going on in Iran? Javadi was high enough in the Iranian intel community to at least be able to find out what is going on if he doesn't already know. But Dar's reaction is more like "oh, that guy?!" when Javadi should have been the first one they asked.

More annoyance than surprise, I think. Dar was working a fine scheme to effectively turn Saul into Dar's advocate to the President-Elect, complete with Carrie's recommendation (don't trust Dar, trust Saul). So good was the lemonade Dar was making from the fruit Carrie unwittingly squeezed for him, he either overlooked or accepted the risk that Saul might contact Javadi. Who as a high Iranian official -- no matter how he achieved that post -- probably isn't the first source the CIA would pursue. Not while they were supposed to be in the first stages of fact-finding. Saul risked it only when he came to suspect a Mossad/CIA plot. 

• Love 2

Well being a huge fan of Quinn....that was a hard episode to watch.  He did keep Franny safe, but also terrified her because of his PTSD issues.  While we know Quinn was more right than wrong, I can't see him coming out of this without enough charges to spend the rest of his life in jail.  But it's Homeland, so I'm sure he'll be out and fighting alongside Carrie in no time.  

Of course Carrie sees his phone and starts to actually put the pieces together and Quinn might not be as crazy as she once thought.  

The idea that the President Elect can just be kidnapped is kind of laughable.  Hopefully Keane gets herself a backbone and gets herself out of that mess.  

If this season doesn't end up with Dar getting his due or a bullet in his brain....I'm gonna be highly disappointed.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

More annoyance than surprise, I think. Dar was working a fine scheme to effectively turn Saul into Dar's advocate to the President-Elect, complete with Carrie's recommendation (don't trust Dar, trust Saul). So good was the lemonade Dar was making from the fruit Carrie unwittingly squeezed for him, he either overlooked or accepted the risk that Saul might contact Javadi. Who as a high Iranian official -- no matter how he achieved that post -- probably isn't the first source the CIA would pursue. Not while they were supposed to be in the first stages of fact-finding. Saul risked it only when he came to suspect a Mossad/CIA plot. 

Exactly. Dar's plan was actually working quite nicely. Saul totally bought the Mossad's story using the banker. He was convinced the Iranians were violating the nuclear agreement and was heading home to take action. It was only when Saul saw the cigarette package in the trash that he became suspicious and decided to take the risky action of contacting Javadi.

If it wasn't for the sloppiness with the cigarette package and Carrie taking in an observant Quinn, Dar's scheme would be on its way to success. This is the problem when you weave such a tangled web of deception, you cannot accurately predict how people will act or every subsequent event. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

Well, that went south pretty fast. I imagine its particularly tricky to write and direct for a 3 year old actress, but "Frannie" is just so adorable and believable.  Her scenes with Quinn are a type of tenderness I don't recall seeing on Homeland before. She really acts and sounds like a real child of her age.

Regarding Dar, I'd think making him the villain responsible for all the troubles is too simple. But, between the Prez-elect, Saul, and Carrie, surely someone should be suspecting Dar's behind at least some of these shenanigans. Didn't that "special" phone that reached only who Dar wanted just scream "we're monitoring your calls?" 

Nice touch to have "Crazy Quinn" be the oracle of spook wisdom and essentially trade places with formerly-crazy Carrie in that role. But I didn't quite catch what about Quinn's cellphone pics convinced Carrie that she was indeed being watched?

• Love 2

I thought it was a terrible episode. Just all over the place, and the Quinn/Franny hostage thing had me rolling my eyes.  

There had better be a lot of redemption for Quinn by the end of the season, because I hate watching him go through this. And I really hope they are not turning Dar Adal into a cartoon villain because he is much more interesting when we don't quite know what he's up to.

• Love 5

I had to FF thru half this episode it was giving me the nervous cramps.

I wanted to get to the end to make sure everyone was okay, then I'll go back and watch again now that I'm not having a heart attack.

This might end up being one of Homeland best season's ever.

Quinn & Franny?  My heart melted.  FFS Carrie, what does this poor guy have to do to prove he loves you? And you know you love him. 

Nice touch to have "Crazy Quinn" be the oracle of spook wisdom and essentially trade places with formerly-crazy Carrie in that role. But I didn't quite catch what about Quinn's cellphone pics convinced Carrie that she was indeed being watched?

When the pics on the camera showed  Carrie's client's van that blew up.   She pieced together that Quinn followed him and took those pics. 

• Love 5

First of all, I now officially love Franny. I, too, was very unimaginative about naming my stuffed animals as a kid. I had a blue teddy bear named Boo (because I couldn't pronounce blue) so she's my official redheaded soul sister. I loved that Quinn was engaging with her in a way that was comfortable for him without going overboard or trying too hard. I have noticed that when he gets stressed, he starts stuttering (like when he was worked up and trying to tell Carrie about the guy across the street last week), but with Franny, he's very calm.

Poor Quinn was just trying to do the right thing and protect Franny and it blew up in his face. When he was upstairs reloading his gun and we could see the SWAT team through the window overhead, I was yelling, "Move, Quinn!" I should have realized that Quinn is a lot smarter than I am when it comes to tactical shit like that and he KNEW that's how they would come in. I also loved when the hostage SWAT guy tried talking to him and Quinn just told him to shut up.

I was really afraid that this would permanently damage his relationship with Franny and Carrie, so I'm glad that Carrie understood why Quinn reacted the way that he did. And I'm glad that Quinn was vindicated in his paranoia about the guy across the street!

As soon as they rushed Keane off, I knew she was going to essentially be kidnapped. That sneaky fucker, Dar! And how can Saul trust him enough to come clean about the real reason for his trip? You are about to get screwed again, Saul.

• Love 4

I must watch with one eye and ear closed. Can somebody please explain how it was made clear that Dar is behind all of this and how he is involved? What did they show him doing or how was it concluded? Thanks. 

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

I kind of laughed when he threw the reporter down the stairs, she was really annoying her her constantly knocking on the private property.

5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I laughed when Quinn shot the guy who threw the rock. The guy's reaction to being shot was hilarious. 

I found that funny too. What's happening to me?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ahpny said:

Well, that went south pretty fast. I imagine its particularly tricky to write and direct for a 3 year old actress, but "Frannie" is just so adorable and believable.  Her scenes with Quinn are a type of tenderness I don't recall seeing on Homeland before. She really acts and sounds like a real child of her age.

The little girl is about 6 years old, not 3 years old. I'm not sure how old Franny is supposed to be.

I hope Quinn moves back in with Claire and Franny.  He needs them. 

• Love 1

I think this season is partially about Carrie understanding how the rest of the world has to deal with her when she decides to go off her meds and be crazy.  now, of course, Quinn isn't off his meds, exactly, and he isn't deciding to be crazy; but he does have a serious mental health problem that affects his behavior and makes him seem like he may be imagining things, and yet all the while he remains smart and observant, but unable to clearly express his observations and conclusions. Kind of like Carrie in ALL the seasons before this.  Now it's finally her turn to realize that mentally ill doesn't mean completely broken, and that Quinn still has valuable contributions to make even while he is (hopefully) still working toward healing.

• Love 6

Ailianna,

Listen, I don't know you guys, so please don't take this wrong, but it offends me -- these comments like "serious mental health problem" — I don't blame you, I blame Homeland, who went from intelligent, beautiful, authentic portrayal of post-war Traumatic Brain Injury — and then failed to explain it, pinning on PTSD via Carrie --- possibly just too get the cops to understand, but the reality is that wasn't PTSD, it's brain injury that's why he can't make decisions or decipher; articulate his words. In his mind he understands it, but he can't communicate it. It's why his personality is vastly different. And now they are going to throw him in a psych ward. 

I hope everyone can enjoy the show, but please understand this is not a accurate portrayal of "PTSD" at this point. That's TBI. It always has been. Incredibly exploitative and inaccurate. If they want a PTSD label they can go back to season one with Brody, sleeping on the floor, sitting in a corner, that's pretty great POW performance.

Hats off to Rupert, he's phenomenal. But they are fucking it up by not packaging it right.

Thank you.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, jrlr said:

LOVED Quinn shoving that bitch reporter down the stairs and shooting at the rock-thrower - such unfiltered and understandable reactions.  Oh hell, I guess I just love Quinn!

LMAO, me too!  I may have a warped sense of humor, but they both deserved it, and rightfully so.

I don't blame Quinn for shooting the rock-throwing moron.  There's a kid in the house, even though he was probably unaware of it at the time.

And, who likes the Press?  They get into your faces and don't back down, even for the pettiest stories.  I'm sure we've all seen it at one point or another on the local news.

I'm liking Quinn 2.0 so far.

• Love 2

Damn, Carrie sure gets a lot of people killed or nearly killed, just by being Carrie.

I always enjoy the moments when Rupert's accent slips out. Usually it's in an intense scene, like in the house stand off when he was ordering the nanny downstairs. 

So Carrie rolls up to her house like, oh hi, I'm the owner blah blah. And the authorities tell her to shush up and sit her on the stoop. Um, wouldn't they have been informed who lives there and her history as a high ranking CIA Officer and maybe give a little listen to what she has to say. Then they missed Quin's very obvious phone! Yeah.  

• Love 3

Yay me!  I called the set-up with the Iranian agent and Saul twigging on the cigarette package back after episode 3.

ON 1/30/2017 AT 1:39 AM, BAMA SAID:

My theory on the cigarette pack was that the Iranian official had already met with the Mossad agents in the hotel room prior to Saul being present.  The Iranian is a double agent for Mossad and is playing his part to convince Saul - and by result the CIA and PEOTUS - that the CIA/USA need to step in.

But it's all a set-up by Mossad/Dar Adal to force the new administration to stay the course set by the previous administration/CIA.

Saul is just a patsy.  Dar knows why Carrie suggested him as the person to go to the source and get the real scoop on what's going down so Dar and that female Mossad agent (don't remember her name) he met with last episode set up this encounter to get Saul to give the PEOTUS the information they want her to trust in and believe.

I rarely "call my shot" on "Homeland", so I've got to give myself a pat on the back when I do.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

The "housekeeper" (or whatever she is) in the kidnap house reminds me of the housekeeper in Van Damm's house near Mount Rushmore in North by Northwest.

5 hours ago, shelley1234 said:

Latisha is Franny's nanny.  

Yes, Latisha is Franny's nanny, but Milburn Stone was referring to Marjorie, the woman who asked Keane if she could get her anything at the house where Dar is essentially holding her prisoner.

8 hours ago, AE2017 said:

Ailianna,

Listen, I don't know you guys, so please don't take this wrong, but it offends me -- these comments like "serious mental health problem" — I don't blame you, I blame Homeland, who went from intelligent, beautiful, authentic portrayal of post-war Traumatic Brain Injury — and then failed to explain it, pinning on PTSD via Carrie --- possibly just too get the cops to understand, but the reality is that wasn't PTSD, it's brain injury that's why he can't make decisions or decipher; articulate his words. In his mind he understands it, but he can't communicate it. It's why his personality is vastly different. And now they are going to throw him in a psych ward. 

I hope everyone can enjoy the show, but please understand this is not a accurate portrayal of "PTSD" at this point. That's TBI. It always has been. Incredibly exploitative and inaccurate. If they want a PTSD label they can go back to season one with Brody, sleeping on the floor, sitting in a corner, that's pretty great POW performance.

Hats off to Rupert, he's phenomenal. But they are fucking it up by not packaging it right.

Thank you.

I don't for one moment think Homeland is an accurate portrayal of Quinn's condition.  Yes, it started as a TBI, but as far as the show seems to be concerned, they've somehow "gotten over" that, and now it's just their rather lame portrayal of PTSD.  So, in the world of the show, that's what he has now.  I absolutely know that it isn't like that in real life, and that serious neuro damage of the brain or spine is a lifelong condition.  I have one of those conditions, so I'm aware of the complexity of these problems and the fact that one doesn't "just get over it", but I don't expect TV to reflect real life. 

The only point of my comment, to which you apparently took unintended offense, was that this is Carrie's look into how everyone else had to deal with her, not anything about Quinn himself or his condition, or the show's portrayal of a serious and complex combination of medical/neuro/physio/psych problems.

Please don't assume that people believe that Homeland is an accurate picture of much of anything.  I understand that you are trying not to offend, but then, neither was I.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Yes, Latisha is Franny's nanny, but Milburn Stone was referring to Marjorie, the woman who asked Keane if she could get her anything at the house where Dar is essentially holding her prisoner.

Yes, thank you, ElectricBoogaloo, that's who I was referring to. And the fact that you knew who I meant also tells me (I think) that you see what I mean by the comparison to the North by Northwest housekeeper. Something menacing under a veneer of pleasant servitude about them both!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

The "housekeeper" (or whatever she is) in the kidnap house reminds me of the housekeeper in Van Damm's house near Mount Rushmore in North by Northwest.

Yes, that creepy mock-deference.  Actual gas-lighting in her eyes.  

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Pallas said:

Yes, that creepy mock-deference.  Actual gas-lighting in her eyes.  

I would love the President-elect to wack that subtly menacing woman in the head with a lamp and then jump in one of those cars and drive off. 

I have seen that actress in something else where she played a terrible character. I just cannot remember the exact role.

Edited by SimoneS

What was up with that strange accent coming from the Real Truth guy? I'm guessing he's a Brit trying--badly--to do a good 'ol boy Southern accent?

Carrie is something else. Ridiculous that she would blindly put her child's life at risk like that. At least she finally bought Quinn's clue about the people across the street. (Who I assume are working for Dar.)

Poor Quinn. His super secret agent muscle memory kicked into overdrive. I'm almost surprised they didn't kill him. I don't see how he ever gets out of some kind of confinement now, be it jail or a hospital. Hopefully Carrie or Saul can pull some strings since Quinn's paranoia has probably put them on the road to nailing Dar for treason.

Dar "Vader" Adal is straight-up evil. So is he staging a coup before PEOTUS Keane is even sworn in?

I always enjoy the moments when Rupert's accent slips out. Usually it's in an intense scene, like in the house stand off when he was ordering the nanny downstairs.  

Yep, those high emotions moments are usually when I detect non-American actors doing American accents. That seems to be when they most often slip. One thing still impresses me about Damian Lewis is that he almost never slipped on Homeland and doesn't on Billions either (where he's doing a stereotypical New Yawker accent).

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
38 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

What was up with that strange accent coming from the Real Truth guy? I'm guessing he's a Brit trying--badly--to do a good 'ol boy Southern accent?

Heh, I heard the same thing. The actor actually starred in his own show a few years ago, which I loved but was cancelled, as an expert in nonverbal cues to solve crimes. I think he is British or Australian. On Homeland, I heard the "English" before I heard the 'Southern."

I still have no idea what Dar thinks he is doing. Kidnapping the president-elect, in such an obvious way that the president-elect can see, cannot possibly be excused later. So is he some kind of sleeper radical?

And speaking of, why did Saul basically come clean and tell Dar the truth about what Saul had just done while in the Middle East? Does Saul have no suspicion at all? Or was it strategic?

3 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I would love the President-elect to wack that subtly menacing woman in the head with a lamp and then jump in one of those cars and drive off. 

I have seen that actress in something else where she played a terrible character. I just cannot remember the exact role.

She played Heather Dunbar on House of Cards. Another politician who looked savvy but also easily manipulated.

At least she finally bought Quinn's clue about the people across the street. (Who I assume are working for Dar.)

Sorry, sometimes I'm a little late to the party - why was the person across the street watching Carrie's house in the first place?

12 minutes ago, roughing it said:

Sorry, sometimes I'm a little late to the party - why was the person across the street watching Carrie's house in the first place?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't actually know the answer to that yet. We do know that the person across the street planted a bomb in Sekou's van, so we know that he (and whoever is behind him) is up to no good, but we don't know what the evildoers hoped to gain by spying on Carrie's house.

• Love 1

Well, damn.  That escalated quickly...

We missed the last couple of episodes, so my husband and I caught up last night.  By the time you see the truck blow up, it felt non-stop.

We were yelling at the tv when the tact guys were trying to break into the brownstone.  "Y'all gonna die!  What are you doing?!  Do you know who that IS?!  Calm down, Latishya...Quinn is fine!"

It was really great suspense having the audience know things (e.g. Sekou was set up, Peter wasn't going to hurt Franny, Peter is a highly trained weapon going through it right now, Dar basically kidnapped and isolated the p-e, etc, etc) that everyone else on the show doesn't.  I found myself screaming at the tv and we were at the edge of seats.  I wish Homeland's pace was a little more even, but damn if the show isn't ON when it is ON.  

Dar is a puppetmaster, but I LOVE that Quinn is possibly the reason that Dar's house of cards comes tumbling down.

Like many of you, I love Quinn.  I'm pulling for him, and I love him and Franny.  Rupert Friend is doing an awesome job.

• Love 5

Great episode. Carrie’s been played again. The hostage drama. The rock thrower and the sentimental shot in the arm.  Carrie jumping on Quinn to save him. Dar almost surprised at Saul’s theory that the Iran thing may be a Mosad foil, and again at Saul’s seeing Javadi  -  again, Dar is so evil, and if not he is  Duhhhh??? And finally, Carrie’s last minute finding Quinn’ phone in the rubble.

What did Quinn mean by his comment to Carrie about the SWAT team – ‘They’re not cops.”

Has the PEOTUS really been kidnapped or is this SOP?

If Dar is the only bad guy here, then it is too easy.

What of Sekou’s two Muslin brothers at his work place?

Who was that weird woman chaperoning the PEOTUS?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, piequinn35 said:

I was waiting for Keane to tell the woman, "You had an effing tv and you didn't tell me?!!!!"

In line with the sinisterness (sinisterosity?) of the woman, I had the distinct impression the woman was saying with her pleasant yet subtly menacing passivity, "Yeah, I know you've been moaning about a TV, and I know it's making you crazy to discover I've had one this whole time. Ain't life a bitch?" 

I want a whole series about this woman.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 5