Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Inauguration / S01.E02: First Week

• Start Topic

I liked the first two episodes. The two money dudes are weird. I hope they are phased out. It looks like Maia's mother and uncle set up her father to take the fall, and it also looks like they left the door open for Diane and Kurt to reconcile. Both of those story arcs could be interesting. Marisa continues to be entertaining.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, orza said:

I liked the first two episodes. The two money dudes are weird. I hope they are phased out. It looks like Maia's mother and uncle set up her father to take the fall, and it also looks like they left the door open for Diane and Kurt to reconcile. Both of those story arcs could be interesting. Marisa continues to be entertaining.

Have they both been in something as a pair before? Working in Homeland Security spying on people? 

I'm sure I recognise the blonde one of the two. Might be confusing the spying on people with the computer guys spying on Alicia in TGW? 

Memory is playing tricks on me I think. 

31 minutes ago, orza said:

yeah, it would be great to see more of Kurt.

overall, the first two episodes were nice (with the pilot slightly more entertaining than the second episode) but there was a bit of 'same old, same old' feeling - with running jokes like Howard Lyman's flower comments or the men's room door slamming into the wall of Lucca's new office, or those two weird tech / finance guys with their 'algorythm'.

hopefully, the spin-off will be sucessful in its own right

• Love 2

I like Marissa a lot and think the character brings a lot to the show. While she definitely proved her worth with finding the additional plaintiffs for the class action suit, I was disappointed Diane hired her. You would think Diane would understand the racial dynamics of building her own little white group at an African American firm. I realize it's creating drama for the show but I expect more from Diane. 

• Love 4

While she definitely proved her worth with finding the additional plaintiffs for the class action suit, I was disappointed Diane hired her. You would think Diane would understand the racial dynamics of building her own little white group at an African American firm.

Honestly, what's Diane supposed to do?  Pass up someone who has proven her worth because she's the wrong race? 

• Love 3

I really enjoyed those two episodes. I tuned in because of Christine Baranski and Rose Leslie. The latter is going to be perfect for an SNL impression at some stage, I think.

I didn't know it was spin off until I came her. I've never seen The Good Wife. All I know of it is Raj in the Big Bang Theory watching an episode through a telescope and saying 'Something's wrong, the Good Wife is crying...'.

• LOL 1

Maia's girlfriend points out that the blond woman in the sex tape can't be her because that person has a tattoo, but later says her parents don't believe it's not her. Surely it would be easy to show them she doesn't have a tattoo.

I was wondering if we were going to find out that the tape is of Maia, but not of the girlfriend. 

On 2/20/2017 at 8:43 PM, adam807 said:

'll do it anyway (even if I weren't writing about it here) because I like the show and I'll want to watch Star Trek later too, but I'll be irritated about it. I'm fascinated by how many of you on this board for TV die-hards are right out.

For me, it's not just the sheer, money-grubbing bullshit of it all (although that's in play) it's also that CBS didn't create a show so damn cutting edge, network TV can't show it.  It's not like we saw scenes of Diane riding Kirk to orgasm while spouting overt political dogma -- peppered with  F bombs every time a right winger is mentioned by the famously liberal Lockhart -- it's a made to order network show that fits every quality needed for that time slot, on that network, for that audience. And instead, streaming. So screw CBS.  They had a chance to broaden the way the story was being told and didn't; they just changed the venue for $$$$. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 2

The other lawyer offered Diane a partnership, right? Wouldn't that require her to buy in? How would that work when she has no money?  

I will probably never see episodes 2 to whatever, but I wondered about that because Alicia had to come up with something like $300,000 on TGW.

29 minutes ago, Driad said:

The other lawyer offered Diane a partnership, right? Wouldn't that require her to buy in? How would that work when she has no money?  

I will probably never see episodes 2 to whatever, but I wondered about that because Alicia had to come up with something like $300,000 on TGW.

That's why she needs her money back from the old firm, but they're being dicks about it. It's like some sort of partnership deposit they owe her. 

Edited by adam807
  • Love 3

I enjoyed the two episodes.  This show is very much like The Good Wife except with a few different characters.  Actually a ton of similarities with the early TGW seasons.  Diane is sort of like Alicia in terms of being a casualty of someone else's crime and having to find work.  Delroy Lindo's character is like Will.  The black female partner is like Diane.  Lucca is Kalinda.  Maia is of course Alicia.  Her parents are Peter.  Then we have the lesbian relationships.  And some familiar recurring characters with the judges and opposing attorneys.  And so good to see Julius again!

So in many ways, kind of predictable and same old same old.  But I enjoyed it.  Top-notch acting as always.  I have no problems paying the monthly fee.  Not so different from paying for individual premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime mainly to watch one series.  Obviously CBS is trying to make money. They're a business and investing in a new growth platform and streaming is just a sign of the times.  I also realized that I don't really enjoy binge-watching tv shows so this weekly release works for me.  

• Love 5

This has been driving me insane and I cannot find him credited anywhere. For the love of God, who is the actor that played Mr. LaFernae or whatever his name is at the end of the episode? Or what obvious thing have I seen him in that I just can't place him??

Only saw,    S01.E01: Inauguration  2017.02.19     Was nice to see Diane ask Lucca(who seems to have grown a pair), about Alicia. Also nice to see picture of Will. Did make me sad.
David Lee and Howard Lyman still together is a good fit. And David trying to get Diane out hasn't changed. They don't have to be on every episode, but a couple cases against each other would suffice.
I would think Diane would have a diversified portfolio. maybe she would have lost a significant chunk of it, but still have some safe.

Maia Rindell I am not sure about yet. It is nice having her as one of the first years like TGW did, and she has her "friend"  Lilly.

I think hopefully that Diane and Curt will work it out. He don't want to leave. As long as Diane and doesn't get together with Adrian Boseman, hopefully they can work it out. Nice Boseman and his partner had problems with the Diane hiring.

Will be nice to see others from the old series(Eli/Marissa Gold, Louis Canning,Guy Redmayne, Glenn Childs, James Castro, Andrew Wiley, Caitlin D'Arcy, Lana Delaney, Clarke Hayden, Elsbeth Tascioni, Dana Lodge, Derrick Bond, Julius Caine, Wendy Scott-Carr,Blake Calamar, Patti Nyholm, Lionel Deerfield, Mike Kresteva, Kalinda, make appearances. Many more also to choose from. Maybe even some of  Alicia's family could need help, lol.

Did like to see Paul Guilfoyle as Henry Rindell. Loved the actor as (Jim Brass from CSI). Missed him on the CSI final TV movie.

I will probably take a free week sometime on CBS to watch the whole season here.

Edited by webruce
added thoughts.
On 2/24/2017 at 7:27 PM, fan1bsb97 said:

This has been driving me insane and I cannot find him credited anywhere. For the love of God, who is the actor that played Mr. LaFernae or whatever his name is at the end of the episode? Or what obvious thing have I seen him in that I just can't place him??

IMDB says it's this guy, I think.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1047883/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t36

I subscribe to CBS All Access just during Survivor seasons (cord cutters) and noticed this show so watched a couple.  I liked the pilot.  The second ep, I was kind of ready to give up due to the stupid trope of a lawyer thinking, "I can tell this guy is innocent so let's all move heaven and earth to get him justice" crap that I can see on Bull or any other idiotic legal show.  But then he turned out most likely guilty (or guilty, I didn't watch that close), so I felt a little better, and will give it another ep or two.  

And, yeah, my Diane would be smarter than to have all her money in one place.  

Ygritte from GoT is interesting.  I see the Scottish accent slipping in sometimes.  She looks a bit like Emma Stone without her GoT furs on.  

Is it Damages it feels a bit like?  Diane and Maia feel a bit like the Glenn Close and Rose Byrn lawyer pair, right?  

Edited by Guest

So, since I already have CBS All Access for BB, and catching up on some old shows, I had to watch this.  I really liked TGW, though frankly, as the seasons progressed, I grew to dislike Alicia Florrick and her immediate family more and more (her mom and brother were ok though), and really liked the rest of the cast.  So I'm all on board with a show about everyone except Alicia and her family.  I too hope to eventually see Cary again.

I wonder about some of the inconsistencies.  Lucca was on 1 or 2 seasons of TGW?  anyway, it sure didn't seem like she was a first or second year when we first saw her in bond court.  She seemed to have been around a while and 'knew the ropes.'  So hearing her being called a "3rd year" here seemed like a time warp.  And speaking of cast jumps, while it was great to see Julius Cain again, I thought it a bit odd there was no reference to his prior working with Diane, and wasn't he a partner back in her old firm too?

Are Diane, Marrissa and Maia really the only white people at that firm?  Seems a little incredulous.  I've never seen a completely homogenized firm, though admittedly some have only a few speckles of color.

So when the firm was at the union giving some legal services, I didn't understand why Maia had such a long line and no one would move.  Do the people in the back really think it was worthwhile to wait a much longer time because they've heard Maia will listen to them more?  Given that Maia was a first year, do they realize that her advise might not be all that helpful because of her limited experience?  It just seemed like an odd scene that no one wanted to go over to Lucca's line.

And of course, we're back to the usual butchering of the legal practice with how they show certain procedures.  like having witnesses testify on a motion to dismiss?  Really?  But I get that it makes for good tv.

And I guess there's going to be a 'season long arc' about the hedge fund manager.

53 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So when the firm was at the union giving some legal services, I didn't understand why Maia had such a long line and no one would move.  Do the people in the back really think it was worthwhile to wait a much longer time because they've heard Maia will listen to them more?  Given that Maia was a first year, do they realize that her advise might not be all that helpful because of her limited experience?  It just seemed like an odd scene that no one wanted to go over to Lucca's line.

People were in Maia's line because she is white and Lucca is not. They were showing the kind of pervasive everyday racism that many people don't want to see or give any thought to.

• Love 5

I guess it never occurred to me that people would take advise from a less qualified person, just because they were white, when their other choice was better advise from a non-white.  Pretty much shooting oneself in the foot, imo. 

Fortunately, they showed that Marissa really is very well qualified for her position, and wasn't chosen over the other non-white candidates for assistant, just because she was white (though they did note that Diane knew her - which is another type of prejudice).

11 hours ago, Hanahope said:

I guess it never occurred to me that people would take advise from a less qualified person, just because they were white, when their other choice was better advise from a non-white. 

I thought the point was these people knew nothing about these lawyers' experience or anything.   Just that some were black and one was white, and they wanted the white one.  

Sarah Steele (Marissa) is fun. Also... she is a runner up contestant to "they really named their kid that??" right after Benedict and that poor "Anastasia Steele" character. And the fact that only one of these is imaginary is... weird. :)

I gave up watching The Good Wife about three seasons ago, so it was interesting to see so many old faces returning here (Julius Gold!) plus a few H!ItG!s like Paul Gilfoyle (Jim Brass!) and Rose Leslie (Ygritte!). Have to agree with Ms Lark that Diane needs to have her head examined for keeping all her money in one place (if you insist on putting 100% of your money in one place, make it US government debt - the return is low but it will pay out - and if it doesn't, you won't have anywhere better to have kept your money, because the entire US financial structure will just have collapsed), it would have been more reasonable for Diane to have put her money in the Ponzi scheme to buy her Tuscan villa and only left enough to live off elsewhere and then found her reduced means hard to swallow.

OK, boring financial details aside, I quite liked Maia. I completely believed the "Hitting refresh every 20 seconds" before her results popped up because I've done that (for other stuff, not exam results) and quite like the "reveal" she was a lesbian was such a non issue (I hadn't read anything prior to viewing). Have to admit, I found her accent a bit distracting, because Paul Guilfoyle seems to have kept his native Bostonian accent, her mother seemed to be Italian (possible, if she's from the right part of NY, say) whereas she sounded pretty much like Rose Leslie (who may be Scottish, but has one of the most cut glass, RP accents I've ever heard - I suspect Ygritte is pretty much her native accent, though). Also, I'm really glad she lost her first case (through no fault of her own) - not because I want to see her fail, but because sometimes you can do everything right and STILL not win. One of the major annoyances I got watching The Good Wife was the fact that Alicia was never allowed to lose, no matter how insurmountable the odds.

Also, I thought it was an odd choice to have Diane watching the Trump Inauguration with that horrified look on her face. If she had been watching the election results, it might have made more sense (particularly as she would likely have been at some Democratic celebratory event that turned into a wake). It's not like they couldn't have set the Pilot at any time they wanted, or stretched out Diane's retirement if they wanted events to correspond to the time it was broadcast.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, eeyore said:

I like Marissa a lot and think the character brings a lot to the show. While she definitely proved her worth with finding the additional plaintiffs for the class action suit, I was disappointed Diane hired her.

Well she IS the "diversity" hire! But I'm sure Diane would say she's always believed in hiring the best candidate irrespective of race.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:41 PM, Hanahope said:

I didn't understand why Maia had such a long line and no one would move.

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 1:38 PM, orza said:

People were in Maia's line because she is white and Lucca is not.

I was wondering that, before going "Oh, they want the white lawyer". Possibly more depressing, they may be rational to do so, if they believe a judge would respond better to a white lawyer than a black one.

• Love 1

Just got the Season 1 dvd from my local library - for free!

I get Netflix through my Verizon Fios - otherwise can't stream anything - (I have a "dumb" TV) - but wouldn't want to pay more anyway.

It was nice to see so many familiar characters again; made it feel like we were definitely in the same "universe". I believe Julianna M. is on another series now (a streaming one which I can't watch!), but I believe she'll possibly be occasionally mentioned (or even show up, who knows?

It also crossed my mind that Diane should have had her money in several places --- but some people never learn, no matter what. I guess "she knew the guy, so she trusted him, etc.".

Now just waiting for the Star Trek Discovery dvd to come out!

On 2/17/2017 at 8:45 AM, gesundheit said:

I really, really want to see this, but good lord I am NOT adding another pay platform on top of cable AND the half-dozen other apps I pay for just to see one show. Hopefully it'll pop up somewhere else eventually.

This is probably old news but iTunes has the show (at least the first seasons). We just started watching it tonight! It's not free. But it doesn't require getting another platform if you have an AppleTV.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:35 PM, txhorns79 said:

I'll say this.  If the only reason this show exists is because CBS had this other platform available, then I get it.  The pilot had a lot of promise, and I do like Christine Baranski.  Also, dig on Kurt's belt buckle.   

It does suck to have to pay, but a way to look at it that's related to what you say, but not the same, is this: Having it on a pay platform means those who like the show don't have to worry about whether it's getting ratings or not. If CBS had confidence that a Good Wife sequel minus the stars would pull in a huge audience on network TV and make it a ton of money, it would be on network TV. CBS obviously did not think that outcome was in the cards. So they put the show in an environment where it basically doesn't matter how many people are watching it, it'll still get a whole season and then even subsequent seasons.

• Useful 2

Since this thread popped back up, I’ll throw this out again (because someone helpfully reminded me about it a while ago), a lot of public libraries have the dvds available. I just finished season 4 from them. (Or season 5?  I forget where we are now.  The latest one.)

• Useful 1