Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Inauguration / S01.E02: First Week

• Start Topic

Nice to know they haven't learned anything about legal procedure or law firms since the Good Wife ended.

Associates are given offers in their 3rd year of law school.   They start after graduation and before they get their bar results.  Sometimes they are fired after bar results if they didn't fire, but no one waits to hire until the bar results are out.

Depositions do not have objections about facts in evidence.   That's what a deposition is for, to find the damn evidence to use it at trial.

So if Diane has this great book of clients, why not just start her own firm?   Why go begging to everyone else?   

But it's CHristine Baranski and I would love to watch it but won't pay just to access CBS.

• Love 5

I already have CBS All Access...so this works for me..I got it so I could watch NCIS when I worked evenings...and now use to to watch Colbert or Price is Right...It's $6.50..and basically a treat for me...so this show seems like a bonus...

Christine Baranski will make me watch it..

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

So if Diane has this great book of clients, why not just start her own firm?   Why go begging to everyone else?   

They addressed this in the first episode - because she was closely connected to the Rindell Agency and had referred many people there, she was seen as being toxic after the pyramid scheme crashed. I thought it was actually a good narrative for why she wasn't just starting a new firm on her own and instead joining up with Lucca Quinn's firm.

I never watched The Good Wife, but I tuned in to this. Really enjoyed it, but will wait until all the episodes post before I sign up for CBS All-Access since I will probably binge them all in within a couple weeks.

• Love 3

Interesting and intriguing, but I also am not going to spend extra $$ for a service I will only use for 1 show. Now if Bryan Fuller was still running Star Trek: Discovery...

Now, what I really want to know is why a smart woman like Diane did not have a diversified portfolio with investments spread out over a number of IRAs or other retirement investment plans? And that's just her retirement. Never ever put all your eggs in one basket. I really question her judgement!

• Love 6

I don't know much about Illinois employment law, but can you really fire somebody because their dad was arrested for fraud?

I believe Illinois is an "at will" state, meaning you can essentially fire someone for anything outside of reasons like race, sex, etc. 

• Love 2

I'm surprised they didn't fire her the day after the arrest.   They finally got enough money to get the flowers back in the office, you do not risk that for some associate who has been there 5 minutes.

As for Diane being "poison" not all her clients would think that.   Enough would go with her to keep her going, if she didn't go nuts with the office extras, until she could build back up.    She could open her office in her spare room with a door for a desk.   

• Love 3
2 hours ago, milner said:

We can get the show here (Canada) on the W network going forward at no extra cost. Perhaps you can find it somewhere other than CBS to see it as well

Hm, probably not to hard to "fly to Canada" then...

54 minutes ago, happyfeet said:

I loved the preview episode and would definitely watch again. We already pay an exorbitant amount for cable and I'm not paying even more for 1 show, that I would have to watch on my 9" iPad, instead of my 60" TV.

FWIW CBS All Access is available on basically everything. I don't know what your setup is (I'm not sure how easy it is to get new apps on smart TVs, for example...I know they sometimes just appear on my TiVo), but you can get it on Apple TV, Roku, Fire, etc., game systems, and all that. Not an endorsement, I just researched for the New Show Fact Sheet.

10 minutes ago, Stinger97 said:

How did it play on CBS? My fiance and I were wondering if they censored the F-bombs on the TV broadcast. 

They shot alternate takes. Diane's "fuck" upon learning her money is gone is "son of a bitch." (Baranski sells it just as well.)

Also, I'm pleased to report that they appear to have CG'ed the Chrysler Building out of the view from Diane's office between the screener and air. :)

• Love 4

I liked it. I've only seen episode one because it's being played on a channel I have so episode 2 is next week.

No horrific bitch Alicia? Wooo!

I'm sad about Kurt and Diane tho. I really liked them together.

Not sure how I feel about Maia tho. She seems meh so far but it just started. 

Too bad Kalinda couldn't come back and start investigating for the new firm lol. 

The f bomb was def censored.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Marley said:

I'm super hopeful that we'll see more of them. I feel like it wasn't left with a 'done deal' feel.

I liked this. I'd quit watching The Good Wife after a few seasons, but Baranski is enough for me to jump in. Well, and Delroy Lindo. And Michael Boatman. I am pretty into these three actors. So I'll stick around for a bit.

• Love 5

Jesus, they hit every sweet spot of network tv without a single hiccup. It's not edgy or daring or revolutionary, but Christine Baranksi -- free of Margulies -- is finally allowed to pull all the focus onto her fabulous self (except when the insanely charismatic Delroy Lindo is on the screen, in which case, she happily shares).  I don't ask much of network tv anymore-- I save all my expectations for elsewhere -- but if they put a bunch of good actors (who have chemistry) in a room together, doing something semi-intelligent, I'll hang for the hour. And they did just that. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, film noire said:

Jesus, they hit every sweet spot of network tv without a single hiccup. It's not edgy or daring or revolutionary, but Christine Baranksi -- free of Margulies -- is finally allowed to pull all the focus onto her fabulous self (except when the insanely charismatic Delroy Lindo is on the screen, in which case, she happily shares).  I don't ask much of network tv anymore-- I save all my expectations for elsewhere -- but if they put a bunch of good actors (who have chemistry) in a room together, doing something semi-intelligent, I'll hang for the hour. And they did just that. 

They really did.

Baranski and Lindo really seemed to vibe off each other. Great scene partners and he approached the role with a lot of joy. The photo of Will got me (sad face) but it was a happy balance of old and new. I didn't really miss any of the old guard.

And shallow note --- I loved Diane's revamped office with the new furniture and colors. Looked regal and refreshing. Rose Leslie added a nice quality.  Wonder what Cush Jumbo's story will be.

• Love 5

Is it worth signing up for CBS's streaming service to watch The Good Wife, Part 2?

View the full article

Looks like around $6 a month with commercials, meaning $72 a year and there's nothing else i want on CBS access. So not now on top of an expensive Comcast + Netflix load. I can see buying or renting the DVD a year from now if reviews remain good.

• Love 2

I wasn't going to watch this, because by the end of The Good Wife, I was hate-watching it and also I wasn't a huge fan of Lucca.  However, I now think my dislike of Lucca was because of how much I hated the show, starting with Will's death and it just kept getting worse.  I liked Lucca in this, and I've always loved Diane.

I really liked this first episode.  Loved the beginning with Diane watching the inauguration and deciding to leave the country.  It's what I would do if I had the money.  :)  I would love it if Cary Agos comes back.  I haven't kept up on the casting, so maybe he is and I just don't know it?  But to see Elsbeth in the end of what's coming in the future, made me squee....she's always been so much fun.

All that being said, I won't be paying for this.  I'm bitter that CBS is doing this and since I can watch all my other CBS shows without the All Access, one show is not worth it to me.  That being said though, once all the episodes are out, I will be doing what others have mentioned:  signing up for the free trial and watching the rest of the episodes before the trial is up.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, happyfeet said:

I loved the preview episode and would definitely watch again. We already pay an exorbitant amount for cable and I'm not paying even more for 1 show, that I would have to watch on my 9" iPad, instead of my 60" TV.

You can attach a $5-$10 (generally cheaper to buy online) "dongle" to your iPad from your TV with a cable and watch anything on the TV that you stream on your iPad. 

I watched part 2 and found it not to be quite as good as the pilot, but then the pilot was the best one I've seen in years. Is it really a "pilot," though? Given that this is a spinoff of a successful show, I'm not sure that term fits. And were the show runners already guaranteed x number of episodes at the time of making the first episode, and, if so, would that tend to result in a better quality first episode? Or maybe I just won't like the show going forward at all, given that I liked the story of the main characters being strong female survivors in the first episode, whereas the second left me with a feeling of defeat and a seeming promise of future defeats, both in their cases and social interactions.

For example, if Marissa? (Eli Gould's daughter) hadn't taken the initiative to find 23 more victims for the class action lawsuit, the case would have been dropped without Diane hiring Marissa, which now makes two more white faces she brings with her, thereby increasing tension between Diane and Barbara, and also making the taste of defeat more bitter because of the higher expectations of a class action suit with actual class members. I dunno. I'll give it another episode to see if things turn around again. I enjoy blues music, but I don't want to watch a show that is one bummer after another.

• Love 2

I watched part 2 and found it not to be quite as good as the pilot, but then the pilot was the best one I've seen in years. Is it really a "pilot," though? Given that this is a spinoff of a successful show, I'm not sure that term fits.

It's a pilot.  It doesn't matter whether the new show is a spin off, or something entirely new, it's still a pilot. 

Looks like around $6 a month with commercials, meaning $72 a year and there's nothing else i want on CBS access. So not now on top of an expensive Comcast + Netflix load. I can see buying or renting the DVD a year from now if reviews remain good.

I don't know how CBS Access works, but I'm guessing you don't have to pay for the entire year ahead of time.  If it's a monthly charge, and this show is only ten episodes, with one episode dropping every week, you might end up only paying $18. 

Not sure how I feel about Maia though. She seems meh so far but it just started. 

I was mixed on the storyline.  She felt a little "Alicia 2.0" to me.  I understand that they are approaching it from a different angle, and it's not entirely a retread of what went on with Alicia, but I don't know if they necessarily needed to revisit this type of storyline again.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I had no idea this wasn't going to be a CBS series airing on CBS.  I wouldn't have bothered with the pilot had I known. Oh well. Good luck, Diane.

I cheated and found episode 2 on a streaming site. I love the show so far and I adore Christine Baranski and will watch just about anything she is in.

Edited by HollyG
edited to remove my bad information
9 hours ago, Marley said:

I liked it. I've only seen episode one because it's being played on a channel I have so episode 2 is next week.

No horrific bitch Alicia? Wooo!

Not sure how I feel about Maia tho. She seems meh so far but it just started. 

Too bad Kalinda couldn't come back and start investigating for the new firm lol. 

The f bomb was def censored.

I thought about Kalinda too. I really liked her on TGW. But I also like Marissa Gold as the asst./investigator.

I streamed Episode 2 on an 'off site' and the F bomb was in full bloom. I wonder why... since the stream site had to have taken it right off of the CBS website?

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

I had no idea this wasn't going to be a CBS series airing on CBS.  I wouldn't have bothered with the pilot had I known. Oh well. Good luck, Diane.

me too. Im not a techy person so not knowing this, I did a series recording. the idea of paying for a series to me is absurd so oh well--I liked it but not enough to pay anything other than my cable bill.

• Love 1

I guess I don't understand how this series is going to be shown.  I never watched The Good Wife, but I turned in to The Good Fight because I really like Delroy Lindo.  I really liked the premier and thought I was in for the season.  But after reading the comments here, am I to understand that is NOT a show I can watch on regular TV, but rather have to pay to watch?  I liked it the show but not enough to pay extra to watch it.  Thanks for any clarification you can give.

But after reading the comments here, am I to understand that is NOT a show I can watch on regular TV, but rather have to pay to watch?  I liked it the show but not enough to pay extra to watch it.  Thanks for any clarification you can give.

Only the first episode aired on CBS.  The rest of the series episodes will be on a platform called CBS All Access that you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to access. 

Edited by txhorns79
1 hour ago, HollyG said:

It is going to keep airing on CBS. This was just an offer to see episode 2 without waiting. I suppose they 'hope' that people will sign up and pay. I went to the CBS website and all of the shows I checked, they also offer through their online streaming service.

No, it's actually not [source: multiple media reports].  Ep 2-10 will only be available via the streaming service. 

Thanks to all who suggested a trial subscription near the end of the run; hopefully all of the already-released episodes will still be available by then.  I wouldn't put it past CBS to make them unavailable without a paid subscription.  Sucks that this is only available if you pony up some cash, because it was all of the parts of The Good Wife...without the good wife (and her smug husband) herself.  It was like pulling a cozy Sunday-evening blankie over myself :)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Only the first episode aired on CBS.  The rest of the series episodes will be on a platform called CBS All Access that you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to access. 

Okay thanks for the info.  Guess I'm out then.  My cable bill is high enough as it is.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Evagirl said:

Okay thanks for the info.  Guess I'm out then.  My cable bill is high enough as it is.

Me too.  I'm another who just thought it was a new show.  I was sort of excited about it,  too, because my husband watched it with me.  He's had a crush on Christine Baranski since she played Maryanne in something long ago, and I thought we finally had a show we could enjoy together.   

I refuse to pay extra money for no reason except that the network wants to have it.  We paid oodles for a TV that really doesn't work without cable.  So we pay a lot of money for a cable package of 1500 stations, just so we can get the ten or twelve stations we actually want to watch.  Of those networks we only watch a few shows on each one.  We also paid for a computer and we pay monthly for internet.  We watch a few shows on it that come on too late to watch on TV.  We don't have TiVo or  Netflix.  Paying for even one more thing, no matter how inexpensive, is just not on.

Why do we put up with this?  All my parents needed to do was buy the TV, plug it in, adjust the antenna, and watch..  From then on, all the stations came to their set with no extra cost.  A regular series would give them a dependable weekly show of about 32 episodes per year. 

• Love 8

Okay, I didn't even know there was a second episode until this thread.  I will watch it now.

I had no interest in the pilot. I found it so boring!

Just here to tell people in Canada that they can watch it on Global and the W Network.  However, I don't know if this will keep up the whole season?  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Lovecat said:

No, it's actually not [source: multiple media reports].  Ep 2-10 will only be available via the streaming service. 

Thanks to all who suggested a trial subscription near the end of the run; hopefully all of the already-released episodes will still be available by then.  I wouldn't put it past CBS to make them unavailable without a paid subscription.  Sucks that this is only available if you pony up some cash, because it was all of the parts of The Good Wife...without the good wife (and her smug husband) herself.  It was like pulling a cozy Sunday-evening blankie over myself :)

Oh damn. Why on earth would they do this? I already have to pay for CBS through cable. (as do most people). No way will I pay for it twice! What a shame. I will edit my post... sorry about that.

• Love 2

I probably shouldn't be so surprised by this. Streaming services seem to be a sign of the times. There are so many people dumping cable & satellite and finding alternative ways to watch TV series. A few of my friends are using Roku or similar devices to watch Cable Only shows along with digital antennas for local channels. 

This brings me closer to the jump myself. 

• Love 3

Watched the first episode on cable.  Liked it.  Would definitely watch more, except, there is no way in hell that I am going to pay CBS to watch one show.  There are more than enough other good shows available out there on the variety of platforms I already pay for.  Might consider the free one month trial when all the episodes are available, binge, and cancel, but then again I might not because it would just reinforce for CBS that they were headed in the right direction with this move.  

21 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Might consider the free one month trial when all the episodes are available, binge, and cancel, but then again I might not because it would just reinforce for CBS that they were headed in the right direction with this move.  

Don't do it!  It's just another source that will have your credit card info, even if you cancel.  It's not worth it.

This is kinda off topic but here goes...I signed up for a 13-week trial for People Magazine for $2 bucks.  The ad said People would send me an invoice at the end of 13 weeks to ask if I wanted to continue my subscription.  If not, write cancel on the bill blah blah blah.  Well you know what happened.  I did NOT get an invoice.  Instead my credit card got hit with $122 renewal after receiving 6 issues.  I was so mad I could chew nails!  I got it all straightened out and the $122 removed, but still it took time on the phone to fix it.  After I canceled the subscription, they didn't even send me the rest of my 13 weeks - LOL!

So be weary of putting your credit card info "out there".

• Love 4
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

[Mr Obscure]'s had a crush on Christine Baranski since she played Maryanne in something long ago, and I thought we finally had a show we could enjoy together.   

That sounds like Cybill, and, honestly, Baranski was the single best thing about that sitcom.

• Love 10

The discussion about CBS All Access is interesting for me.  I only have broadcast TV and haven't paid for TV service since the 1980s, when cable was pretty cheap.  Even then I wished for an ala carte system because all I really wanted cable for was MTV. (A friend of mine got cable in the late '80s/early '90s only for ESPN.)  I was thinking that paying for CBS All Access as my ala carte channel would be reasonable. 

• Love 2

Oh damn. Why on earth would they do this? I already have to pay for CBS through cable. (as do most people). No way will I pay for it twice! What a shame. I will edit my post... sorry about that.

I'll say this.  If the only reason this show exists is because CBS had this other platform available, then I get it.  The pilot had a lot of promise, and I do like Christine Baranski.  Also, dig on Kurt's belt buckle.   

• Love 1

For me, it's not about the money, it's about having to get another damn proprietary app. And I have an Apple TV so it's not even difficult. It's just the principle. A standalone thing for ONE show? If it were on iTunes or Amazon, services I use all the time, I'd pay without thinking about it, and it would cost more per episode than the monthly cost of CBS All Access breaks down to.

I'll do it anyway (even if I weren't writing about it here) because I like the show and I'll want to watch Star Trek later too, but I'll be irritated about it. I'm fascinated by how many of you on this board for TV die-hards are right out.

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, Ms Lark said:

Now, what I really want to know is why a smart woman like Diane did not have a diversified portfolio with investments spread out over a number of IRAs or other retirement investment plans? And that's just her retirement. Never ever put all your eggs in one basket. I really question her judgement!

No kidding.  In a post-Madoff world, no one with half a brain does what Diane and the other Rindell clients are portrayed as doing.

• Love 2