Type keyword(s) to search

Dear White People - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't remember a lot about the plot points of this movie, but the aesthetic and the acting style have both stuck in my head over the intervening years. I really liked them. I seem to remember, also, that they had some fun with the interstitial and overlay graphics that I thought was really clever. I'm very excited to see the series!

Wasn't aware this was to be a tv show. Seeing all the new ads for it made me think the film was being re-released for some reason.

This will be an interesting watch. Hopefully the tv show can go a bit deeper on the subject matter, but also make it more entertaining/engaging, because the film came off more as a documentary than a film with a story.

I loved the movie and a lot of this looks like a re-telling of it. I hope they don't spend the whole season covering what was already told but I'll def hang in to see where it goes after it's done with that. 

Golden boy Troy schmoozes his way around campus at his dad's behest, campaigning for student body president. But his smile hides nagging doubts.

As Coco gears up for an exclusive soiree, a fight with Sam stirs up memories of their friendship -- and the differences that drove them apart.

Friends drag Reggie out on the town to stop him from brooding over the revolution and Sam's new beau. But the night takes a harrowing turn.

Shell-shocked, Sam and company plan a protest against the campus police, while Reggie finds his own way to process the ordeal.

Picking up on the chemistry between Sam and Reggie, Gabe obsesses over the state of his relationship -- and makes a startling confession to Joelle.

To show just how pervasive Winchester's race problems are, Lionel sets out to write a feature on Troy and makes some unexpected discoveries.

Coco jumps at the chance to join Troy at a party for wealthy donors, but the evening leaves her questioning his priorities.

With tensions running high before the town hall, Sam tries to patch up her relationship, Coco steals Troy's thunder, and Lionel makes a bold move.

I loved this first episode, so many tropes fit in!  I couldn't stop laughing at the Black Caucus meeting, it was like seeing my college campus again.  And I really liked that Sam sent the invite Pastiche made…I ain't mad at her.  I'd want to know who & how many showed up too.

• Love 4

Oh my god, the scandal parody. The best part is that is only slightly off base from what we usually. Like only a step to the left away. They even used the bitch baby line.

• Love 8

Question(s): Do people think it's necessary to see the movie first? Or is it fine to dive right into the series? (I'm eager to start watching the show but don't want to miss out on anything important).

1 hour ago, hks said:

Question(s): Do people think it's necessary to see the movie first? Or is it fine to dive right into the series? (I'm eager to start watching the show but don't want to miss out on anything important).

You don't need to watch the movie. The series basically starts where the movie ended and the events of the ending and the specifics of the characters are detailed within the series. It operates as a sequel but it's also designed with newcomers in mind based on the first two episodes I watched.

• Love 1

So far I really like it!  I never saw the movie. I think this episode did a really good job introducing the characters.

Not sure why all the Cosby mentions were needed. Hopefully after this episode they'll stop doing it.

Mackleless? AFAIC, the writers don't need to be trying so hard to be clever.

I loved Defamation. It's not much more ridiculous than Scandal.

I saw the movie and think, so far, this TV show version is much better. It seems to be more focused.

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Not sure why all the Cosby mentions were needed. Hopefully after this episode they'll stop doing it.

Mackleless? AFAIC, the writers don't need to be trying so hard to be clever.

I loved Defamation. It's not much more ridiculous than Scandal.

I saw the movie and think, so far, this TV show version is much better. It seems to be more focused.

If anyone watches Nick cannon's wild n out, the comedian used the mackleless line on there before so it is kind of out there pop culture wise. It's something she could have heard and used which people do.

I didn't even notice a over abundance of Cosby mentions. It's something I know a lot of black people talk about, judging by my friends and the internet, so I don't find it to be too much either. It's a hot button topic.

• Love 2

Loved the movie, really liked this first episode.  Captures the feel of the movie so well. So far the tv-version actors are doing a great job of being very reminiscent of the movie-version actors.  Well.... the  guy who plays Troy is the same actor. But I like the actress who plays Sam.  She captures all the complexities of that character so far. 

I love how it immediately and effortlessly defined all the different groups within the black college community and their philosophies. SO I agree you don't need to see the movie because it does bring you up to speed pretty quickly.

I howled at Defamation.  Howled!!  Man, I need to check twitter to see if Shonda Rhimes said anything. 

Looking forward to the rest of this.

• Love 1

I didn't even notice a over abundance of Cosby mentions. It's something I know a lot of black people talk about, judging by my friends and the internet, so I don't find it to be too much either. It's a hot button topic.

AFAIC more than one mention is more than enough and there were definitely more than one mentions in the first episode. Although news about his case seems to be cropping up again I think he's been discussed/is still being discussed plenty everywhere else. This show doesn't need to jump on that bandwagon, IMO, because he's not particularly relevant to premise of the show. Nodding maybe once to A Different World pays whatever homage needs to be made to Cosby.

Having Giancarlo Esposito as the narrator is a great choice, I think, though I wonder how much of the intended audience is old enough to have seen School Daze and immediately gotten the reference.

• Love 2

"....Wokémon Go."

"That's actually a pretty solid name."

"We will catch them all."

That sequence had me in stitches!

Now for the heavy stuff:

The minute I saw the police pull up I knew exactly where this was headed and it still didn't make it any easier to watch. It's interesting to see how when faced with the reality of what their black classmates go to, that was what made the white people at the party really think about what they had been saying/doing. Guess hearing about something and experiencing it will always be two different things.

Poor Reggie though. He was so shaken up at the end there.

• Love 3
On 28/4/2017 at 10:18 PM, hks said:

You don't need to have seen the movie, and the series changes/ignores a lot of it anyway.

My favorite installment so far.  The writing in this one is razor sharp.

Man, Coco is a little tragic but damn she is a scrappy survivor.  I went into this one not feeling Coco at all and very sympathetic to Sam's POV and came away with a deeper appreciation for Coco and appreciating both their perspectives. 

• Love 11

I thought the movie was good, but I sort of thought the movie was a series of good ideas that never really got explored. You can see a lot of the good ideas, and its certainly a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I felt, even while I was watching it, that it would make for a better TV show than a movie. So of course I'm all about checking this out. I think this episode is a really good start, balancing the satire and the actual character work that I think the movie almost got to, but never quite did.

Oh my God, the Scandal parody! I couldn't stop laughing! Its funny because its totally true! Although that President isn't anywhere near as handsome as Fitz. Just saying.

I really liked the beat where Sam was listening to some kind of folk rock girl power song, then instantly changed it to a rap song about being black and proud when she saw some black students walk by. I think that's what I hope the show continues to explore, the weird, complicated identity issues surrounding race. Just because Sam is a activist super involved in social justice causes and is super proud of her African American heritage (both in the movie and here, she seems to identify more as black than anything else) doesn't mean she cant love Game of Thrones and date a hipster white guy!

• Love 5

So how long before Lionel hooks with his editor with the nice hair?

That attempted three way was SO awkward. I was a theater minor, so I had a lot of friends who were Theater People, and...yeah I can see something like this happening. Maybe not often, but I can see something along these lines. Its weird to me that TV shows have started showing three ways more and more as something weird and awkward instead of something sexy. I seriously cant think of the last time I saw a three way shown as an actually sexy thing that everyone involved was into.

So it looks like every episode will be told in the perspective of a different character. I think its a good idea, but if they aren't careful it could turn into a Lost issue, where we get tons of episodes about the same people, while other members of the ensemble get a million episodes dedicated to their lunch order or something.

I totally get why Lionel wanted to give Sam the heads up about the story, because he believes what she did was right and could lead to good things, but it also makes me question his future as a journalist. I can totally get behind a journalist not wanting to release secrets or stories that would do more harm than good in a dicey situation, but not wanting to tell someone else's truth? Isn't that kind of what journalists do?

11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So it looks like every episode will be told in the perspective of a different character. I think its a good idea, but if they aren't careful it could turn into a Lost issue, where we get tons of episodes about the same people, while other members of the ensemble get a million episodes dedicated to their lunch order or something.

I thought the same thing, but the series is being really smart about this.  I am up to Chapter Six and so far the writing and storylines are  really tight.  Very well done.  Even minor characters that you just get glimpse of in the the first two eps gets fleshed out nicely even if they don't get their own POV chapter.  I have been happily surprised by the direction the story is choosing to go.

Lionel -- OMG,  his Geordie LaForge was so on point.  I about died.  The pop culture references in this show and which ones are evoked by which character are brilliant.  Also, Lionel's intra-racial intimidation is as well drawn as his lack of knowledge of all the gay subgroups of which he could potentially identify.  But I loved, loved, loved that timid little Lionel basically took charge during that horribly comedic attempt at a menage and read that couple.  They were so absurd and his quick and incisive read of their dynamic was great.  This was a fun installment and a nice showcase for Lionel.  And Troy actually.

• Love 11

When I am done I am going to go back and do a watch through and jot down my favorite lines, because the quips and  quotable lines fly fast and furious.  If this were a book, I'd be highlighting like crazy.  But speaking of Defamation, I loved Rashid's line:  “Does every American show revolve around fellatio-related cliffhangers?"

• Love 1

So sad that the N-word debate is still happening.    Then again there's still a lot that hasn't changed so there will always be debates.    Pretty predictable what would happen once the campus popos became involved but what a riveting scene.    Kudos to all the actors especially Reggie.

I'm really loving this series.   I was trying not to binge watch but it's hard not to.    I only have two more to go.  

• Love 1

Coco is officially my favorite character of the series.   It was nice to see her background story and see how her upbringing shaped who she is today.

• Love 3

One positive is how Lionel being gay was not a big deal to the other characters like it would've been years back.     Nice to see some progress has been made.  My partner is an 8th grade school teacher and he too has noted how the gay students aren't being ostracized like we wouldn't been in our time.   Yay on progress.

• Love 6

Two stellar episodes in a row!  I thought CoCo's episode went a little deep, but Reggie's went even moreseo.

Man, life comes at you fast.  I loved the beginning where they were just all chillin' and hanging out all day -- first the cook-in because grills were banned(Ha!), then the tailgate party, then the movie and finally the house party and trivia stuff was fun and they were just enjoying themselves as college students then bam...almost literally.  The quickness and how it all went down, scary and a little crazy.  And yes, I liked that even the white students were shocked as well.  Even that Bro-dude guy who is the head of Pastiche.  Even he realized shit just got real and it wiped that smirk off his face for once. And the way the scene was shot, all tight frames really added to the tension.

I also liked how we got to hang out with Joelle a little more.  Was I reading too much into it or did it seem like she was really into Reggie but really downplaying it because she knows he is hella into Sam?

Also nice seeing more of Rashid and the Al.  Their woe at how the sad little cook-in at the African student union has made even free food look bad.  And He stole the Shasta soda! And I love how that Asian student just rolled up on them, demanded weed and became one of their crew instantly for the day. "I'll be your catch-all Asian Friend!" she says.  Ha!

Some great lines, but the one thing that had me in total stitches was the reaction of everybody, white and black, when the one student suggested we needed to handle racism the way the Germans did.  The outraged "What?" plus the camera work was hysterical.  I had to rewind that. But he we went along to explain what he meant in really academic terms  and not the "gas chambers way " they were all "Hmm, o.k."

But Reggie was the MVP here.  And that scene of him crying silently in his room was just so haunting.

• Love 5

I put on the first episode last night out of curiousity and wound up binging all the episodes.  I like the way it focused on different characters.  I also liked that it showed different aspects of the various conflicts.  I think that the controversy prior to it being available for viewing, as well as the title, might prevent some people from watching.  That would be too bad, because it's really good.

• Love 4

This is probably my least favorite installment of the series.  Troy's story just isn't as interesting as the rest.  But man.... God.... he has an ass built by the Gods!!  I had to rewind that shower scene because ... that ass was a thing of utter beauty. 

There I feel better now.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I also liked how we got to hang out with Joelle a little more.  Was I reading too much into it or did it seem like she was really into Reggie but really downplaying it because she knows he is hella into Sam?

Also nice seeing more of Rashid and the Al.  Their woe at how the sad little cook-in at the African student union has made even free food look bad.  And He stole the Shasta soda! And I love how that Asian student just rolled up on them, demanded weed and became one of their crew instantly for the day. "I'll be your catch-all Asian Friend!" she says.  Ha!

It was definitely a stellar episode and yeah Joelle was doing a bang up job of downplaying her feelings for Reggie.   It became more apparent in her interactions with Gabe and then Gabe figuring it all out.

The rest of the posse were funny as well.

• Love 2