Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: 2:00pm - 3:00pm

paigow

Is it crazy that I yelled when I realized they filmed this in Georgia. Lol. I didn't realize they'd filmed here until Carter got on the train and I thought that looks a lot like MARTA. A quick google search confirmed that it was filmed in Atlanta and Savannah. :) The final scenes of Carter chasing the terrorists through downtown kind of looked like downtown Savannah.  

So, the father gave up the soldiers' names? Now that's a twist, but why? What do they have on him thats so bad if exposed it will destroy John's campaign?

I understand why Nicole gave up her phone to Isaac's girlfriend, better to be cool about it than make a big deal and have her discover that she'd discovered what was up, but I kind of wanted Nicole to tell the girlfriend to go to hell. 

All the other twists were fairly predictable. I thought the situation at the jail house ended in an anticlimactic way. 

This episode was ok. Not as good as the previous two.

• Love 1

Other than my recurring mantra of "Ben, you dumbass" the swerve about Nilaa and Pa Donovan was the big kink in this episode and the one thing that this show really needs to explain.  Obviously it has to be something truly bonkers, but still.

As for Aisha and Nicole...am I crazy for hoping for an epic catfight when everything finally comes out?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Not that surprised, he's played by Gerald McRaney. Still wondering what his play is, though.

Sleeper cell target list are his business competitors, or commodities that he mines / processes. Dude has gone from great TV dad [Major Dad] to evil TV Dad [Longmire]

• Love 1

WTF Eric has no broken limbs??? WTF Science teacher does not know how to check for a pulse? See chest moving? How long will it take to run facial recognition and identify Bin Khalid Jr? For the recap... Body count should be 2 redshirt Bin Khalid. Locke and Eric each got one.

Edited by paigow
  • Love 1

If I got hit by a car in that fashion, I probably would not be getting up and shaking myself off.

I am still struggling to get in to the show. I enjoyed the chase scene, but I was still playing on my iPad. Just don't find Carter compelling. Mainly watching as nothing else is on Mondays. Show me a reason to care. Maybe I've just outgrown the show's concept or there is just something missing.

• Love 5

What a mess.  I am hanging in for now, as a loyal 24 fan, but I'm starting to wonder why.  That whole police station stunt was ridiculous (from the very first nanosecond I was expecting there to be a phone call from Miranda Otto/Rebecca in the nick of time so there was no suspense whatsoever, plus I just can't believe a legitimate government agency couldn't put its hand on $3M in cash from somewhere).   I  can't reconcile very obvious Irish-american looking Gerald McRaney as the father of very obvious Hispanic-looking Jimmy Smits, unless I missed them saying he was adopted or something.  Speaking of Jimmy Smits - I always thought of him as a good actor, but here he just seems stiff and unbelievable to me as either a senator or a candidate.

Sorry, just don't care about Eric's wife situation, or those folks back in the CTU.  It's only been a week since I watched the last episode, but I still can't remember why the computer guy (Andy?) had been detained.  While I'm at it:  Much as I appreciated last week's (?) call-out to beloved Edgar, the whole niece thing is ridiculous.  Couldn't she have gotten her job because of her outstanding MIT (or somehwere impressive) experience in addition to picking up hacking tips from her uncle?  At this point, all she's done is show her lack of competence, in having to have Andy instruct her about the phone call transcript.

I do like Eric, especially as he is pretty clearly the heir of indestructible Jack.  He needs to up his game, though.  Time for some kneecapping or light torture?

Finally, I have to comment on how bad Rebecca is at her job - she seems too credulous to me, in terms of just acting immediately on whatever she's told without checking out the information first.  Of course, I understand that time is critical, but on the other hand, there was no indication of any imminent attack.  Frankly, there is a huge gap between Nilaa using her computer to access information and her computer being used to access information, and I would have thought Miranda would have nailed down who had access to the computer before devoting all her attention on Nilaa.  I also would like to think she would have had the logs of the ATM picture checked, which (I assume) would show tampering.  OR, maybe I'm pretty negative about her because of the way she treated poor Saul on Homeland. 

• Love 4

Wait, the kid is still alive. I am so happy. I am sure that the girl will fail at killing him somehow. I cannot wait for him to wake up and spill the beans.

So Neela was set up by the Senator's father. I am sure that she will be cleared eventually. I hope that it does not drag out too long.

Ben needs to go to prison, period. Screw the we are brothers bullshit. He committed treason. There is no making up for this. Does he even know that his mother and sister are dead? Carter nailed it, "where ever you go, you take yourself with you."

Oh Andy, Locke broke his heart. 

16 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I  can't reconcile very obvious Irish-american looking Gerald McRaney as the father of very obvious Hispanic-looking Jimmy Smits, unless I missed them saying he was adopted or something. 

Seriously? Here is a real life example for you, George P. Bush, eldest son of Jeb Bush. I have seen P. in real life. He looks more stereotypically "Hispanic" than Jimmy Smits and he isn't adopted. Of course, there is Barack Obama and his mother, Ann Dunham. I could go on and on. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Well, amusing if predictable 24.

As usual, enemies turn to allies immediately once the situation is explained. In this case, Eric is given a police car and everything else he needs (including a gun!) because CTU made one phone call. And all within 12 minutes of the hostage situation unfolding in the first place.

Also, two bricks of C4 blow a perfect man-sized hole in a concrete wall? Now the only things I know about explosives are what I read in Tom Clancy novels and whatnot but my impression of Composition 4 is that a few pounds of it will level a building. And how much did Carter have? Those bricks of C4 looked bigger than a 1lbs stick of butter... and C4 is probably much more dense... so six to ten pounds of C4 and that's all it does in an enclosed space with concrete walls? Ah but I'm forgetting... these are Hollywood explosives, only useful for making plot holes.

I would have had a laugh if instead of that student asking the teacher if he was okay because his hand was bleeding she pointed out that his fly was open.

Although I have to admire the tenacity of that student who had his head bashed in for managing to escape without being noticed by any of the three people in the room at the time (one of whom was looking in his direction), he went to horror movie school for where to run to. The school is filled with people and there are people all around it. Windows everywhere which he should damn well know because he just crawled out of one! And what does the dumbass do? He limps into the woods!

Carter's wife needs to establish some street cred. I can pretty much guarantee that jealous gangsta girlfriend didn't shoot a hardcore jihadi to death with his own gun ninety minutes ago.

• Love 4

It still feels very standard and rote to me. Way too easy to see Gerald McRaney was involved in the duplicity somehow. The big twist in my mind was that poor Drew was still alive, and that was so ridiculous. Agree that any science teacher would know.  Even one who acts like he's about to jump out of his skin.  How has that guy not been flagged for suspicious behavior? He's as shaky as a leaf on a windy day.  I'm guessing Amira sees him as a perfect patsy.

Still not buying Corey Hawkins as the lead.  I don't know. I'm not even seeing this brothers connection between him and Ben.  I hate to say it, but there's a lack of gravitas. At least for me.

Jimmy Smitts can bring it, but so far he's being underserved by the scripts.

Much as I appreciated last week's (?) call-out to beloved Edgar, the whole niece thing is ridiculous.  Couldn't she have gotten her job because of her outstanding MIT (or somehwere impressive) experience in addition to picking up hacking tips from her uncle? 

That timeline of her learning from Edgar still doesn't fly for me.  She's just out of college and how long ago did he die?  

• Love 1

That episode was very action-packed with all the 24 tropes one would expect. Still, the show isn't engageing me emtionally. Eric being hit by a car with no massive injuries was one suspension of disbelief too far.

I keep waiting for Rebecca to exclaim "I am no man!" for no apparent reason.

• Love 3

I think I'm done with this.

Terror teen girl trying to kill her ex bf?  Nope, don't want to watch that.

Gerald McRaney dirty double dealing to get his son (Jimmy Smits, really?) elected?  Nope, don't want to watch that.

Wife in danger from spurned gf of gang leader?  Nope, don't want to watch that.

CTU analyst's angst over spurned lover field agent?  Nope, don't want to watch that.

There are just too many side stories that I don't care about, too much going on.  And while I get that there has to be more than Eric running around and failing for the next 8+ hours, I don't want to be distracted by inane storylines and poor acting.

dwmarch, I agree with your whole post.

2 minutes ago, marinw said:

Ok, that might bring me back into the fold.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, paigow said:

What is CTU gay policy? "Don't tell. We already know"???

Ha. It does seem unlikely that CTU doesn't already know that Locke is gay. Maybe Locke just used that an excuse because he wanted to dump Andy and hook up with someone else.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

That timeline of her learning from Edgar still doesn't fly for me.  She's just out of college and how long ago did he die?  

Has a time line even been established?  Do we know how long ago it was that Edgar died?

1 hour ago, marinw said:

If only!

4 hours ago, vb68 said:

Way too easy to see Gerald McRaney was involved in the duplicity somehow.

Involved?  Isn't it possible he's the Big Bad this season?

I understand why Nicole gave up her phone to Isaac's girlfriend, better to be cool about it than make a big deal and have her discover that she'd discovered what was up, but I kind of wanted Nicole to tell the girlfriend to go to hell.  

What I don't understand is why they're treating Nicole like she's a hostage.

I can't reconcile very obvious Irish-american looking Gerald McRaney as the father of very obvious Hispanic-looking Jimmy Smits, unless I missed them saying he was adopted or something.

There was a blink and you'll miss it moment in a previous episode where they indicated that the senator's mother was Latina. Guess her genes were stronger than the dad's

OR, maybe I'm pretty negative about her because of the way she treated poor Saul on Homeland.

Heh, I'm having the same problem. I keep wondering when she's gonna

Spoiler

end up full of bullet holes in a car trunk.

I've accepted that in order to enjoy this show I have to hand-wave away all the implausibilities so it's working for me--for now.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1

No way would they have let that kid's girlfriend/Terror Teen ride in the ambulance!

Best part for me was during the gunfight down in the subway/Metro...when Eric was running down the stairs and shot some bad guy who was lying crumpled on the steps - just shot him again without even looking down. It was hilarious! Loved it.

I also howled with laughter when Eric was on the phone with Nicole and said, "Everything with Ben is wrapping up...I'm coming to get you, it's all over." Ha ha ha ha ha!

I wasn't paying close attention, so I'm a bit befuddled as to why Jimmy Smits' dad is a bad guy?  Does he or does he not want his son to be elected, I can't even tell. Does setting up Neela help Jimmy Smits or hurt him? Help, please.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2017 at 11:09 AM, Biggie B said:

I wasn't paying close attention, so I'm a bit befuddled as to why Jimmy Smits' dad is a bad guy?  Does he or does he not want his son to be elected, I can't even tell. Does setting up Neela help Jimmy Smits or hurt him? Help, please.

Yep, the Senator's father leaked the info and framed poor Neela. I got the impression he didn't do this to help his son as much as save himself from some mess he got himself into. So it will destroy the Senator's presidential campaign unless they can cover it up.

I agree with you that it was hilarious when Eric shooting the bad guy. I wish more "heroes" would do this. It irks me when they don't make sure the bad guy is dead and he comes back to life.

Edited by SimoneS

So do you really need to get $2M in cash for a guy who won't get a chance to count the money in the bag until AFTER he gives you list of terrorist cells? 

As I watch this (and not sure how long I will continue because I'm finding that I don't really care about any of the characters), I just miss Jack Bauer more and more. 

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Auntie Anxiety said:

As I watch this (and not sure how long I will continue because I'm finding that I don't really care about any of the characters), I just miss Jack Bauer more and more. 

This is how I feel. It's not just Jack, it's all the other characters that helped elevate 24 from a good action show to a great one: Bill, Chloe, Renee, Presidents Palmer, Logan and Taylor, and so many other great characters played by wonderful actors. So far, there are no really great chracters on Legacy.

That said, I will give Legacy a few more episodes as it works as an action show.

Edited by marinw

Has a time line even been established?  Do we know how long ago it was that Edgar died?

Well we know it was several years ago. How many exactly in this universe is murky, but it's been awhile.

Involved?  Isn't it possible he's the Big Bad this season?

Of course!  I just meant it was obvious he was on the bad side.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

I assume I wasn't supposed to laugh when the teacher/terrorist couple noticed that their victim had up and left, but I did. Obviously Huma...er...Nilaaa didn't do anything wrong, because she's been set up by the moustache twirler McRaney!  Usually the back half of the season introduces a BIGGER Bad, so will McRaney be unseated? And, speaking of seating, it's been awhile since I rode MARTA, but I cannot recall ever seeing an empty seat. Perhaps they entered at the beginning of the line.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Instead of running out the door, why didn't the teacher and his co-conspirator jump out the window to run after the male student that escaped?

How did they not HEAR him staggering around, especially since this all happened while they were being extra quiet to mislead the student at the lab door?  How did that random student not hear him for that matter?

Eric owed that cop a huge apology using him as a body shield after he helped him out of the evidence room. And his save at the police station was a cop out. He needed a big takedown of all those cops to earn him some Bauer-esque cred. His reaction when Nicole was like Aisha is up to something was hilarious. I do like that he's in awe of what CTU techs can do.

Eric, I know he's your brother and you feel responsible for him, but Ben needs a good slap to the head. And then he started rambling/talking about glacier lakes and I felt sorry for the paranoid headcase. And then he got ambushed and lost the list.

No way Eric should still be walking after taking that hit by the car. But then he may have the Bauer regenerative powers gene.

So Locke ended things with Andy and Andy froze him out? And it was for his career? I'm here for their drama. 

High school Drew still being alive was amazing. He was just playing possum and broke for it ASAP. Poor kid made it all that way out the window and to the damn field only to nearly get caught by them again. Hang in there kid! 

23 hours ago, Bill C. said:

As for Aisha and Nicole...am I crazy for hoping for an epic catfight when everything finally comes out?

Oh yeah. That staredown? Hands will be thrown.

And as always we start with outside foreign threats and flip over to domestic white bread collusionists. Ah, 24. Never change.

How did Henry's cleaner manage to wipe 'nearly' all evidence of Nilaa in about 45 minutes from all cameras in DC on that one particular day ?  Did they find out from their mole at CTU about Nilaa's IP being the source of the downloaded file ?  How exactly ?  Or were they just coincidentally getting around to it now ?

Drew making it out of that classroom silently and unnoticed is Jason from Friday the 13th films level of stealthiness.  Hell, Drew should be working for Bin Khalid's men with those kinds of mad skillz.

That resolution of the standoff at the police station made it look exactly what it was -- meaningless filler.

Ben Grimes really got around in order to hop the subway, go plant the flash drive under that tile with NOBODY noticing, cleaning up after himself (since there was no debris on the floor), and then take the subway back to the first station and go for a walk out on the mean streets of D.C. while waiting for Eric's call.  All in under 90 minutes. 

I'm just surprised there wasn't a cougar in those woods outside the building, to take down Drew.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Ben Grimes really got around in order to hop the subway, go plant the flash drive under that tile with NOBODY noticing, cleaning up after himself (since there was no debris on the floor), and then take the subway back to the first station and go for a walk out on the mean streets of D.C. while waiting for Eric's call.  All in under 90 minutes. 

He borrowed a wormhole from:

a: Red Reddington

b: Littlefinger

c: Obi-Wan Bauer

Lot of hand waving required this episode, as is standard for any episode of 24 these days. The kid playing dead for 20 minutes was the clincher. Though I absolutely burst out laughing when the soccer ball rolled up to him after he collapsed.

The bad guys escaping was just so predictable in its execution, I was rolling my eyes through the whole sequence. As someone posted earlier, if we have 8 more hours of Eric just fruitlessly running, its gonna be a long season.

Finally, the wife/gang storyline is this years storyline that I care less than zero percent about.

• Love 3
On 2/14/2017 at 10:23 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

How did Henry's cleaner manage to wipe 'nearly' all evidence of Nilaa in about 45 minutes from all cameras in DC on that one particular day ?  Did they find out from their mole at CTU about Nilaa's IP being the source of the downloaded file ?  How exactly ?  Or were they just coincidentally getting around to it now ?

Did the cleaner change the time-stamp at the bank for the whole day, or did the CTU not look at the footage other than the one second Nilaa was there (and she went on a run from her office (in downtown DC, right?) without being seen by any camera or drone????  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

7 hours ago, Haleth said:

They're not???  So the show really should be called 13???

Well the last Jack Bauer led season of 24 was only 12 episodes. They did 11 hours then in the 12th hour. 45 minutes in the episode they fast forwarded to the last 15 minutes of the 23rd hour 

Edited by jay741982
7 hours ago, jay741982 said:

Well the last Jack Bauer led season of 24 was only 12 episodes. They did 11 hours then in the 12th hour. 45 minutes in the episode they fast forwarded to the last 15 minutes of the 23rd hour 

That's cheating!  LOL

• Love 2
On 2/16/2017 at 3:15 PM, forumfish said:

Funny how hair color ages people, especially on TV. In addition to the age difference mentioned above, the actor who plays the grandpa on Blue Bloods is only 6 or so years older than Tom Selleck, who plays his son.

This is why I hate when  viewers think they can pinpoint a character's age by looking up the actor's age on imdb. Even assuming imdb is correct the two do not necessarily correlate. If the character's age is important, it is usually given at some point.

A few silly twists -- DeadBoyfriend getting up and walking, GoodCop believing Carter with absolutely no reason to and SmitsDad being the mole purely, it seems, to provide a twist -- took the gloss off this one.  It feels like the twists are a bit mechanical and the main villain has no presence at all.  I also agree that I can't see the timeline working with Edgar - any hacking wisdom he had would be ancient by now.

However, this is as negative as I can bring myself to be.  Carter is terrific and frankly he runs a lot more convincingly than Kiefer ever did.  The Ben/Eric scene on the train was great.  There are good action scenes and some nice elements.  I'm slightly disappointed because episode 3 is often the one that really blows the doors off -- the CTU bombing, Tony being shot -- but it's still a strong run.

My biggest concern is that the 12 episode format encourages everything to be so hyper-condensed.  Old 24 felt like it had more breathing room and it helped develop the characters.  Live Another Day suffered from this as well.

Still, I'm hoping the show has time to find its feet.  It has a lot of potential.

• Love 1