Type keyword(s) to search

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

AimingforYoko
  • Start Topic

After returning to the criminal underworld to repay a debt, John Wick discovers that a large bounty has been put on his life.

Yeah, this did not disappoint. Apparently, Viggo was a small fish compared the D'Antonio's. Because John had to kill a lot of guys.

I loved the deeper dive into the world of The Continental (What happens when some tourist wanders in, are they politely turned away?) and the various factions therein.

As to the ending my prediction for the future is 

Spoiler

John will be given another "Impossible Task" to atone for killing Santino on Continental grounds.

• Love 1

I don't know.

Spoiler

I think if the Continental means anything as neutral zone, they have to enforce the rules. I felt so bad for John as he ran from Winston in the end. The whole open contract thing was a mess in NYC, but worldwide? And no Continental to retreat to? I mean killing Santiago, especially with a headshot, was too good for the man. John should have dragged him out into the street and shot the bastard as he mewled about it. 

I did love the movie though. And I have to say, if women and poc aren't going to be focus of a story. At least write and shoot (with a camera) them well, like Chapter 2. I count the number of Black women (now people in films) and I love that of the few here they were all characters first. I counted Charon, Cassian, the Rome Continental concierge, Laurence Fisheburne. And for once there was a nude scene and I didn't feel uncomfortable about it. 

I hope more action movies are made like this. I was reading about the production of John Wick and it seems quite of few of them (director and actors IIRC) worked on the Matrix franchise. 

• Love 2

I absolutely love Lance Reddick's character in these things.  He is a very quiet bad ass.

The Continental and all of the underground (the weirdly anachronistic phone girls), the rules, the gold coins.  This world is so rich.

Maybe in Three, John Wick can go back home to where he came from to try to hide and heal up.

My favorite scene is when Common and Wick are shooting each other casually while walking through the subway station.  And just WHERE is that futuristic subway station?  Is that a real place?

The one thing that didn't ring right was why he exited through the concert instead of going out the way he came in.

• Love 1

My favorite scene is when Common and Wick are shooting each other casually while walking through the subway station. 

Mine too. Those "pew, pew, pew" noises their gun silencers made were cracking me up because they reminded me of the silly sound effects in Lego Batman.

the weirdly anachronistic phone girls

Might it be a way to prevent the ability to track calls made inside the hotel buildings? Maybe those old-fashioned switchboard systems aren't digital.

I love these John Wick movies and can't wait for chapter 3.

My prediction for the next movie:

Spoiler

Winston and/or members of the international crime board will be under dire threat from some renegades. John will be hired to handle the problem in exchange for having his Continental privileges reinstated and having the worldwide hit called off. I also think Cassian (Common's character) will be back.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:57 PM, Silver Raven said:

My favorite scene is when Common and Wick are shooting each other casually while walking through the subway station. 

THIS!  And there was a scene where John used his shotgun to pin the guy down AS HE RELOADED only to shoot the poor fool.  Nice!

The Pencil!  I kept thinking that the 2nd John Wick would've been a prequel when we got to see "how he got out" and the infamous pencil murders.  With this one, John's pencil infamy groweth.

I also love the use of rotary phones and vintage typewriters.

I know I'm not alone in thinking I'll never look at a "homeless" person the same way again.

Edited by absolutqt
adding stuff
  • Love 3
On Wednesday, February 15, 2017 at 9:25 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

ine too. Those "pew, pew, pew" noises their gun silencers made were cracking me up because they reminded me of the silly sound effects in Lego Batman.

My husband, brother and i were making the sounds on the walk home.  We all loved it!!

Did Winston give him a marker for someone else (as in someone who owes john a favor)? 

What was mopheus doing with the sim cards?

I saw this movie in a movie theatre in downtown Montreal (on Ste-Catherine).  The movie opened with a mini car chase on a crowded city street, with lots of fun swooping camera angles, bone-crunching impacts, and all that. About 30 seconds into it, my husband leaned over, pointed at the screen and whispered "That's right outside." Sure enough, I looked, and there were the same stores in the shot that were located just a stone's throw where we were watching the movie. The chase even included a brief shot of the theatre's sign. I've watched many Hollywood movies in theatres, and I've seen other Hollywood movies with scenes shot in Montreal (Arrival had scenes in Montreal), but I can safely say I've never watched a major Hollywood movie featuring shots of the same theatre where I was watching the movie. So, if nothing else, John Wick 2 provided me with my most surreal movie viewing experience of all time. Also surreal, if not quite as wild, was watching a violinist busker try to kill John Wick at the Place des Arts.

This movie was so much fun--Peter Serafinowicz as a weapons "sommelier," what up!!!--that I barely even noticed the plot holes (why does no one in the crowd at these underworld parties recognize John Wick?) and total lack of character development. The visuals were a delight, as well; John Wick 2 had double the original film's budget, and it was money well spent. The Enter the Dragon homage was also a real treat.

• Love 2

I saw this movie yesterday. I rewatched John WIck on Sunday with my SO who hadn't seen it. I've probably seen John Wick three times and the club scene a couple more times than that.

I noticed that the second movie was definitely more violent and had an extremely high body count. I noticed how they masked the team in the catacombs probably because it's the same stunt team as in the museum, the garage, and the first movie. This movie also felt more like a first person shooter video game. The first movie had more anime or classic martial art film style. I find the direction not as innovative or as slick as the first one. It was still better action than most big budget movies though.

As with the first one, the supporting cast was interesting and well cast. I wish we had more from them.

I still found it fun and I'll rewatch it. I will definitely see the third in the cinema which is rare for me nowadays. I look forward to seeing John finding some peace somewhere even briefly at the end of this series.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Athena said:

I noticed how they masked the team in the catacombs probably because it's the same stunt team as in the museum, the garage, and the first movie.

The guys said you can tell when they recycle stunt men because they start out with long hair and beards and as they're recycled they shave off more and more.

• Love 1

John Wick Exceeded my Expectations

Chapter 2 basically met my expectations. The action and fight scenes are fantastic visuals and really enjoyable to watch, but as I expected the plot was significantly thinner than the first movie (which is already a revenge movie). The motivations just aren't the same or as meaningful here.

• Love 2

I loved the first movie. This one, not so much. When I was talking to the hubby about it, he said the first one had more heart, feeling. It's weird to say a movie franchise like this lacks heart but that's the best way to explain why I felt a didn't like this one as much. It's also weird to say because after the first one came out, I wouldn't have said one of the things I liked about the movie was it's heart. It was a great story with great action. 

Thinking on it now, it feels like a middle movie. Things are great at the start of a story, sags a bit in the middle and then the end kills you. I'm hoping that's what happens after the 3rd one comes out. 

They really went all out with action, almost to the point of being too much for me. I feel like they chose action over story. I did like the deeper dive into this universe. The fact that everyone was hitman and hitwoman cracked me up.

Spoiler

I was trying to reconcile in my head the guy's plan to have John kill his sister and then just think he's going to be able to take out John Wick. Like dude, do you not know who you dealing with? I mean what universe you living in?

I loved that John kept the dog and he didn't have a name. I know that dog was like, why are we walking so much. 

I did have the thought that Keanu is over 50 now. I don't think he's considered an "old man action star" like Liam Neesom,  Denzel Washington and the others that have been making action movies when they are "past their prime". 

• Love 1
On 4/24/2017 at 9:33 AM, nicepebbles said:

Hide contents

I did have the thought that Keanu is over 50 now. I don't think he's considered an "old man action star" like Liam Neesom,  Denzel Washington and the others that have been making action movies when they are "past their prime". 

I don't think so either, however Liam Neeson was around 55 when Taken came out and initiated the modern old man action genre

On 2/19/2017 at 8:00 PM, roseslg said:

Did Winston give him a marker for someone else (as in someone who owes john a favor)?

My guess is that Winston gave John the marker for the same reason he gave him a small head start before calling in to put a contract on him; because he told Santino to leave John be, and when D'Antonio came to him looking for help/sanctuary he reminded him that he tried to offer a warning:

You stabbed the devil in the back and forced him back into the life that he had just left. You incinerated the priest's temple. Burned it to the ground. Now he's free of the marker, what do you think he'll do? He had a glimpse of the other side and he embraced it. But you, Signor D'Antonio... took it away from him."[/quote

• Love 2

Finally saw it. I liked it about the same as the first movie, although I agree with those that found John's motivations lacking from the first. But the cliffhanger more than made up for it. Damn, there are A LOT of hitpeople in the world, aren't there?

It really just would have been easier for John to just drag Santino out of the hotel and cap his ass. Of course it would have been easier for Viggo to let John just kill his bitch son rather than put a contract for a guy that was basically invincible. No one has common sense in these movies.

The pit bull was the sweetest, most well-behaved dog. Can't believe he almost got euthanized at the end of the first movie; pit bulls get such a bad rep. And can John at least give him a name?!

• Love 1

One of the reasons I like this franchise so much is the fact that they have a pit bull. I have a soft spot for them. Maybe gets a name on the next one. 

One of my issues with the movie was Santino's doing what he did to John. Just makes him suicidal or incredibly stupid to mess with John. The sister was pretty bad ass in taking herself out so it would take a lot to kill her. Still? Unleashing the devil only to stab him in the back? Yeah, suicidal or stupid.

It felt suicidal.  I suppose with all his men dead or incapacitated, and contempt from Winston, Santino was out of options.  Maybe he was just trying to provoke enough of a reaction to get John kicked out, or maybe he finally realized how inevitable his demise was.  Maybe this was a way to punish John and Winston in one action.

I watched chapters 1 and 2 back to back, and this is such an awesome franchise. There is so much to love. Firstly, Keanu. Who I've always adored, so it's great to see his continued success. He's convincing as the sorrowful assassin, he's also kickass and so very hot. Then the world building, which is really fascinating. All the coins and rules that they have. I loved that scene with telephone girls, seeing the tech they use and how they processed the hit. The Continental hotel was already a great idea, but that scene expanded the universe even more.

I also love the casting. I read the director say they deliberately chose character actors, which is inspired decision making imo. Also their use of international actors and not being afraid to go multilingual. I think it really makes the world building even richer.

I just love these movies so much. I was happy to read that they're working on a tv show about the hotel, and there's going to be a chapter 3!

• Love 6

I love this franchise and think it’s a great idea.  One of the downsides of the first movie was that it didn’t draw out the world enough.  This did a better job of it.  All the rules.  But just two that must be followed and John Wick broke both of them by the end.   I would definitely watch a tv show about The Continental and a third movie.  

• Love 2